have 3 tixs to let go!

PLAYtime!
Todd, The Big Green Frog
Venue: Esplanade Recital Studio
Date/ Time: Sat 9 Apr, 2pm
Floor seating
Total cost: $48.00
Recommended for kids age 2-4
Tixs are required for all (including infants in arms)

Collection: Tampines/ Town area/ CBD area(weekdays)

my 'confession' is....

i've been too busy at work...AND doing a lot of online shopping.

Oops.

happy.gif

Morning all!

I'm always super tired and drained at work on Mondays... due to the xiong weekend at home with kid.
Monday is always a slow day (if there are no urgent stuff to clear) doing admin, filing my inbox and preparing the job list for the rest of the week.

Cough/Flu
Been going to Yu Guo and was advised to avoid eggs and fish. is it true and what's the reason behind it? now meal times are a real headache cos dr said G can only eat pork, tau kwa and vegetables. he doesn't touch veges and totally hates te sight of pork now. every meal time becomes war time...

Hi all,

Been busy at work, and just came back from holiday at hongkong.. good news is my spotting has stopped.. yay!

Time to start organising the next gathering

Venue : Marina Barrage Outing
Date : Apr 22, 2011 (Good Friday)
Time : 930am (Hope it's not too early!)
1)xy
2)eliaw - $3.00
3)QL - $4.50
4)tubao - $3.00
5)bkkgal
6)Pauline

Activities:
1) Easter basket making & decoration
2) Easter egg hunt (i managed to buy some nice colourful plastic eggs, so i'll fill it up with some treats inside)
3) Parachute (I will bring for fun)
4) Kite Flying

The following mummies still have balance $$ from the b'dae bash, so pls attend also:
Garfield $3.00
Leila $4.50
Genice $3.00
Tute $3.00
BX $3.00

Suggest for FOOD, shall we do a simple potluck with the following food list
1) Fruits
2) Nuggets
3) Sandwiches
4) Drinks

Tute,

Wanted to tell you that C is probably still experiencing separation anxiety. It's perfectly fine.

My C had this for the entire year.. until this year it got better.. but he still sometimes will tell me that he doesn't want to go to school..

Hi mummies!

I was just wondering today, what childless married couples around my age do to occupy their time. I'm so busy with the boys that I can't imagine what my life would be like if I didn't have them at all. Sometimes I wish I had all the time in the world to do things, but I guess I will once the boys are older
happy.gif

Any mummies have similar thoughts?

iso,
things the couples do:
1) have a pet and indulge in it (that will keep them semi busy)
2) Go for weekend getaways/short trips every other weekend
3) Go for out-of-SG golf trips every other weekend
4) Go drinking until 3am on Fri/Sat so they will wake up at 12noon the next day and effectively 'waste' the day recovering from the late night cum hangover
5) Get really 'into' a certain hobby, e.g chinese painting, gardening and spend the whole weekend on it and hanging out with like minded friends
6) spend a good amount of time "researching and planning" for the activities above, esp point 2
7) Do volunteer work

The above is what I know and consolidated from my married and childless colleagues and friends.

and yes, they do 'spend more time' at work. from my observation is through spending longer and insensive hours during weekdays that they get totally burnt out and need the weekend to 'recover' - basically just sitting infront of the TV and tuning out, or spending a good amount of time in spas/pedi/mani to destress.
at the same time they can also think about the work politics and craft that highly political email/response which they can send out during work day that help them ace at work.

Hi mummies

I have been down with a nasty cough for 2 weeks liao and very bz at work...hence the silence.

Piglettail
LOL. haha, hb has a fren on FB (childless couple) who posts pictures of their toy elephant Humphrey celebrating his (humphrey's) bdae. *roll eyes* yeah, and they are past their mid 30s already.

I just had this "where got time to do anything" talk with hb. The number of "ECAs" he/we are involved in are mind numbing. We are limited by 24 hrs in our day and our physical tiredness. We do sometimes think back those days when we had no kids, living out of singapore, damn shiok lor. every weekend drive to beach/mountain resort or go sunflower viewing, flying, boating, hangout with friends, explore new countries, try new restaurants...

bkkgal,
haha... celebrating the toy elephant's birthday!! my goodness.. did they throw a real party in the elephant's honour?

yeah, just this morning one of my (married but no kid) colleague was commenting on her pet cat. she is expat so flew in her cat when she got posted here... during her meal prep on the weekends she will buy 3 piece of meat from Culina: 1 for hb, 1 for her and 1 for cat.
during her house viewing for her relocation, one of her criterias was to have an apartment with a huge balcony to fit a bathtub (??!) cos that's the cat's room back in her home country. also prefer lots of shelving so cat can leap from shelf to shelf (what she was doing back 'home') she did find a place with a huge balcony and many shelves but not sure if the bathtub plan went thru eventutally..

piglet
wow, looks like you *have* thought about it! lol. I think most of my friends are so NOT the type to do volunteer work but more like hang out with other childless couples and do point 2-6, plus try lots of new eating places and new activities, which these days is also easier cos of all the groupon-like vouchers and deals.

bkk
i am SO sick of people posting photos of their pets, but a toy elephant really takes the cake.

i guess at this stage it's more tiring for us because they're so dependent on us and take up like 99% of our time when they're awake. and especially sometimes when i wish i had more time to do simple things like go for haircut even! or a yoga class i feel wistful about the life before kids. but when the whole family are playing together it's worth it yah?
happy.gif

I don't know abt a bday party but I saw Humphrey had his own cake and 3 candles.

We also had our fair share of pet adulation when we were childless but this, THIS..inanimate toy? omg.

childless couples:
i think it's a matter of priorities in life.

i have quite a few friends who are childless. Needless to say, we don't hang out that much since by virtue of activities, erm...it doesn't really gel. For us, everything (more or less) is designed for as suitable as possible for Ruth - even if it means us not being able to do what we want to do cuz I'm really quite against putting children in situations they are not happy with (cuz I dun really wanna bitch about dealing with meltdowns later)

these couples normally decide they DON'T want children because of various reasons. At some point, I never wanted children too and till now actually, I don't fancy having more than 1.

They normally eat out more, explore many different places/activities etc. Probably get to watch MUCH more movies/plays/etc and do whatever they want to on weekends.

As a person who used to have plenty of activities before my kiddo came along, I can totally envision what I'd be doing without a child but that's all gone now. I still yearn to do this and that really...but oh well, i miss Ruth too much to stay out all the time.
happy.gif

bday celeb for toy!?!?
this is a first. perhaps it's meant to be a joke? just a boliao thing to do for fun?

But you know, our looking forward to less hectic days may be long in coming. I see friends with school going kids, even during school holidays, their days are packed with activities from dawn to dusk. They spend their time driving the kids around from one eca to another, one tuition class to another.

I was advised to take our long couple holidays before the children start going to school cos it's even more troublesome to try and get away.

Clover
I also use the reinforcing shampoo. Mine comes in 200ml bottle, how come yours so much? How much per litre?

It's 10.20pm now n I'm sitting in the dark 'Yao-ing' the yaolan n posting this w my other free hand.can actually visualize my colleagues sitting in front if their tv watching CNN or on way home after gg to gym n dinner aftr Wk. This is what married no kid ppl do lor. :p
But I wouldn't have chosen the other way even if i can reverse the time. Just need to 'complain' from time to time, haha.
Bkkgal,
What's the brand of shampoo you are using, is it phyto?think i need to change my usual, not effective in curbing my oily scalp problem already.

Eliaw, thanks for helping to organise the gathering's activities and food again.

Can I volunteer to bring boiled fishballs cos my kids love them?

Piglettail, haha, I know what you mean. I haven't watched the news for eons cos it clashes with 'putting RaeAnne to bed' time. Keke.

Most days, I feel contented with my life, but once in a while, I feel wistful that I never tried to do the things I wanted to do eg. study overseas, work overseas, etc and it's too late cos I'm already tied up with kids. Got a friend who is recently thinking of relocating to US cos she has a job offer and she has 1 kid, same age as Raelynn, 15mths. But her hubby will have to be a SAHD so he is still deliberating. Envy her for still being so 'mobile'. Wonder if I'll have regrets in future for not moving out of my comfort zone and doing those things i wanted. Maybe I'm feeling mid life crisis bah. keke.

Mummies,

Busy at work and at home, Hehe.... don't know what to post and contribute at forum also.

will join good Friday outing. Eliaw, thanks for organizing!

tong,
volunteer work? you have a kind heart.
happy.gif

re: hair shampoo
is the phyto the one that sold @ watson's/guardian? maybe i go and take a look first.

re: post
me very busy at work now. things will get better next week.

re: food
piglettail,
how G can tell is that pork or chicken?

re: gathering
not sure what to contribute for gathering... but i can help on the food.
happy.gif

1)xy
2)eliaw - $3.00
3)QL - $4.50
4)tubao - $3.00
5)bkkgal
6)Pauline

Activities:
2) Easter egg hunt (i managed to buy some nice colourful plastic eggs, so i'll fill it up with some treats inside)
4) Kite Flying

The following mummies still have balance $$ from the b'dae bash, so pls attend also:
Garfield $3.00
Leila $4.50
Genice $3.00
Tute $3.00
BX $3.00

1) Fruits
2) Nuggets - xy
3) Sandwiches
4) Drinks
5) Fishball - pauline

re: childless couple
before we have kids, we have common interest - fish and playstation games. every weekend will search for new fish or games.
now, the past time activities are the 2 monsters. and life is so much complicated. cannot stop the 'game' when we are tired. :p

bkk
so that means we'll have more free days when they are... 18?! lol

piglet
very true, don't think any of us would really want it different, but just need to complain once in a while
happy.gif

btw mummies
today i've been busy making address labels and all kinds of nonsense personalised stationery on www.vistaprint.sg. it's $2 for 140 return address labels, like those you stick on the enevelope! I also did one that says "Merry Christmas" with our names so we can put it on presents next time, one that says "Happy birthday, from E and A", and a few with our addresses, and some items for A's coming bday. If anyone interested let me know, I fwd u the email, cos i think if u just go on the website you don't see the offers like the $2 one!

they also have interesting "mummy cards"..

Just wondering if anyone has used buggy board to let go at cheap price? Must be able to fit both korean and Maclaren strollers.
happy.gif

Iso, good idea, very useful when filling up lucky draw coupons.

Iso
send to me pls!

Eliaw
can i bring cocktail sausages?

Creative play
would like to share an article here on encouraging creative play. i started reading up on Tools of the Mind programme based on Vygotskian theories after reading a book called NurtureShock. Partly also because SJCK always reference Vygotskian methods which got me curious.

Basically, encouraging creative play is a way to build up children's self-regulation skills and high self regulation leads to high executive function - a skill that is believed to be a key to success in life. A child who can self regulate can control his/her own emotions and therefore has better EQ.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=76838288

hi isobellies,

i tried the site but it said $11 for 140 return address labels

think maybe we can only relax when our children are married,haha,but provided we dun help to look after grandchildren,if not,it will be another cycle

Pauline,
hee...glad i'm not the only 'mountain tortise'.. good that i have the iphone so now i catch up on news during 'idle time' like waiting for bus, waiting to order food. else really dunno what's happening in the world. where got time to sit down and read the newspaper?

XY,
Can, he sure can differentiate pork from chicken. I was so desperate, i even told him it was 'deer meat'(i cooked the pork with lots black sauce so it looks dark) and wearing a reindeer hairband when i served him his dinner (from my last office x'mas party). but he still saw through the disguise at once. arrgh.

Iso,
haha yes we just need an outlet to vent... here! send me the email for the name labels too? i find it very useful when i need to label his toys/books/belongings for show-n-tell, which happens every other week.

iso,
could you please send me the email too?

tong,
earth day? thought easter day?

re: gathering activities
do you think playdough is suitable? I made some last week and can bring it there.

iso,
can i have the email too. n ur steak looks soooooo darn yummy!!! was droolg away when i read ur blog!!! can share ur receipe?? were u a chef huh??

Big Eyes Big Mind
Any mummies interested to go?
http://www.bigeyesbigminds.com

bkk
think it's $5 or $10 depending on whether you want 14 or 21 days. over $50 is free 7 day delivery!

have also forwarded it to the other mummies! must click on the link otherwise the prices are different.

Leila
Haha the steak is Alton Brown's recipe, Steak au Poivre - you can google it, or I also linked it in my blog. If they have the episode of his Tender is the Loin 1 it'll be even better cos easier to watch than to read recipe!

Bkkgal,

What a coincidence! I just finished reading chinese version of nurtureshock last weekend. Quite some interesting data there.

tubao, share your thots abt the book! I'm still at the part abt babies who watch BabyEinstein having smaller vocab than those who don't.

so far, i think the book is dismantling what i thot was the norm for parenting. interestingly, it was not a book picked up by me. hb picked it up in an airport bookstore during one of his trips.

iso, okie i see...i'm still busy designing my labels. haha!

iso.. can forward me the link too? Din pop by the thread so can only ans u now.. lapbooking is like doing a mini project but it basically circles around 1 book for a period of 5 weeks, We will read the book and do things related to the characters or theme of the book eg.. if study chameleon, will learn abt the differnt chamelon, how different they are, some only eat plant, birds and so on.. learn some maths too.. quite a wide area it covers, the teacher encourages kids to question and think, be inquistive. I feel that as a parent i have personally learned a lot during the lesson. G is not very cooperative during class so i think she din take home much with her . But still when she looks back at her lapbooks, she has this sense of achievement look in her. I think its pretty gd!

Iso.. since u are at hm.. we shld let our 2 boys meet!!I am quite free for most of the day time

hello mummies!! wow lots of post.. mum sick work bz..but fri m going up cameron ( excited!) gd friday ok, i bring blueberries n strawberries plus cheese cubes ok, but i fear i may reach at 10 cos at least got to cook #2 porridge first b4 heading out, otherwise he has no lunch.

eliaw- i m fine to use my balance of the money to get watever treats u wana prepare for easter.

by the way, any1 noes w to get raincoat for kids?

bkkgal,

I took the book from new books shelf of Woodlands library, flipped through over last weekend. Too much data there without continuous flow of thoughts, I don't quite enjoy reading it, but I like the data and info.

For me, the tests that every child lies captured most of my thoughts. My E lies from young and lie a lot, which puzzles me a lot maybe because it's different to me. What I learned is to give people less chances to lie and to give face if they lie. I applied it to my helper by finding a anyhow excuse for her mistake this Monday, and she seemed much appreciated it.

Another one is about 10% successful rate for government or organizations to promote a 'culture thought' through all sorts of seminar and events. Well, I will be happy if 10% effective rate for solution I tried on my kids.

And the one that kids are not affected by parents' quarreling and losing control. They can understand how parents come to get a good ending by different types of communications. So I will hide my tiredness and frustration less, maybe.

Nice to 'talk' with you about the book, Hehe..... usually only my husband and I exchange thoughts of books we read.

Hi Tubao,

I found it very readable, better than reading many scholarly thesis on child development. Maybe it's the translation from Eng to Chinese. Found good nuggets of info there e.g. I always wondered by #2's speech devt is slower than #1. By 13-14 mths, #1 was already stringing words together e.g. mama, mum mum. mama, sit here. But at this age, #2 still making growling sounds and simple words e.g. mama, dada, up down, psss, elmo. She cannot use nouns or adjectives together yet.

In the book, it says that a child's language devt depends on the parent's responsiveness to them when they are learning to talk. I realised that I have been quite switched off with #2, sometimes so busy with work/hsework that i tune her out. With #1, all the adults in the house were super responsive to everyword she said.

Another one is about parents quarreling. Same as u, my main takeaway is to resolve the conflict between me and spouse in front of kids so that they learn from us, rather than hide the unhappiness and not talk abt it.

#1 does not lie much but she can tell fantastic stories to us, mixing up the people and time line e.g. X hit me today, I fell down, and pain is here but actually, X hit her last week, she fell down today, pain is not there but another place. Takes us awhile to figure out what she's trying to tell us. Sometimes have to call teacher to check she did not wrongly "accuse" another kid.

The one abt siblings also interesting. It says that sibling relationship is shaped before the sibling arrived. It shows up when your child interacts with other children. It's true. #1 loved to feed Gar's Ariel whenever they met each other. Always trying to feed her snack or water and they play well together, altogether I observed that K is bossy towards A. Now, #1 got a little doll at home for her feed. She's always quite nice to her meimei but very very bossy towards meimei. haha, same characteristics and traits transfered to her sibling.

QL,
Mamil Gold gave away free raincoats with 2 tins offer.

genice
ok!!! what time of the day are you usually free? or saturdays i can also. I'm interested in the playtime thing!

thanks for the info on lapbooking, actually i read a little online before asking you, but it was a bit hard to figure out at first. sounds really interesting and wish i had time to do it with the kids! maybe will learn more for now and do when A is a bit older. Now he not even intersted in books, hard to occupy him while reading to E...

raincoat
i also looking! planned to go daiso this morning but no.2 napping now and no.1 is STILL sleeping from last night! piangz.

morning ladies!

Tong,
yes... he still sleeping in the yaolan for the first part, then he will get down and move to his bed when he wakes up for milk (yes, still milk feed at 3am ;( )

Daiso,
I have a question: do u reckon the stuff at Daiso are safe to use, specifically the lunch boxes, cookie cutters and bento cups? somehow i feel a bit paranoid thou I know the products are made in China. Don't think it'll be shipped to Japan first and then re-export to Singapore right? Too expensive in terms of supply chain cost?

Bkkgal, guilty as charged no wonder mei mei can't talk much.
sad.gif

RaeAnne is very bossy towards Mei Mei too. Will tell her off if Mei Mei climbs, mouth toys or suck her thumb. She will only feed Mei Mei if it's something she doesn't want for herself. And if Mei Mei rejects, she will be very rough n pull her hands to take the food. :p

re: gathering

1)xy
2)eliaw - $3.00
3)QL - $4.50
4)tubao - $3.00
5)bkkgal
6)Pauline

Activities:
4) Kite Flying

<font color="0000ff">I will settle the materials for the activities 1-3, but for kite flying, pls bring your own kite</font>

Garfield $3.00
Leila $4.50
Genice $3.00
Tute $3.00
BX $3.00

1) Nuggets - xy
2) Cocktail sausages - Bkk
3) Drinks
4) Fishball - Pauline
5) Any other suggestions

<font color="0000ff">Let me know the cost of preparing the food, then we will just split the total cost..</font>

my poor C has a loose lower front tooth.. if the tooth doesn't stop shaking, need to remove.. poor thing.. he can't eat anything for now..

eliaw
oh no! how come shaky?? did he have a fall or something?

piglet
i think should be safe to use, are you thinking that cos it's so cheap that it's maybe not safe? actually i think it's cheap because they have quantities of scale, so not necessarily that they compromise on quality?

Eliaw , ya why the teeth become shaky?

Piglettail, ur boy can still sleep in Yao LAN meh? tot he shd be very Liao that it's impossible to rock cuz it will touch the floor Liao? Wa still drink milk!!

Back