(2008/02) Feb 2008 MTBs

Yes, I'm Rabbit
happy.gif
I hun4 into Dragon year wan...that why many think I dragon. hehe.

So confirm Ox and Rabbit ngarm is it? Then I'm relieved
happy.gif

Oh yes, shell is a good place to work. They are one of our corporate clients at my previous workplace. Their union very powerful one. Even HR scared of them. ;)

Bkkgal, I see, you born in Jan like my hubby? He tiger, hun into rabbit year to eat rabbits. hee hee.

iso
you mean to buy SIA shares huh?

tongtong
i also don't mind investing on a long term basis. i have never buy shares via online shares portal before, so a bit suaku and dare not try. scared i click wrong button, etc. my fren told me the other time she sold her shares and wrongly clicked twice and needed to pay some penalty.

iso,
ya good deal. it was introduced in jan2008 at my company, JUST BEFORE #1 was born. so i always say she help mummy save $$

the coverage is provided by insurance company, but company subsidizes the premium we pay. so it's actually $2k+ annual premium but i only pay $25 a month

Petrol companies : difficult to get in!! My sis went for interview at SHELL for permanent place (she was on contract basis), their interview is giving presentations with their other fellow interviewees

Stephie, tongtong, duh... I'm forced to invest long term though I wanted to make a quick buck in 06/7 when prices kept rising. Luckily, don't need the money urgently or else I cham liao. :p

stephie
oh about HP.. i'm q idiot when it comes to shares :S

gar
even at $2k+ it's still wu hua if you're going to deliver in private hospital..

re: job
shell difficult leh. got to fight with those clever chemical engineering ppl.

re: stocks
i got no $ to buy liao.
bought china aviation oil some time ago. hopefully there will be good news next month.

iso,
yes still wu hua. i deliver in KKH under private scheme so cost is the same as private hospitals.

the insurance company is BUPA by the way.

apple
the interview style sounds scary, at least to me. i sure kana immediate failure :p

pauline
last time i kept hearing pple say don't play shares in case kana burnt. then frens/relatives told me as long as you set aside those $ and have the holding power, then won't end up in bankrupt stage. see how ignorant i was.

iso
oic. keke...don't say so, me also ban tong shui when it comes to shares.

garfield
ya, so shiok to not having to pay a single cent for the pregnancy/delivery. i heard of a coy that pays for such costs too. can't recall which one... think it's agilent or something.

re:petrol company,
my dad worked in a petrol company all his lives coz he was froma petroleum engineering background. stayed in the same company for 26 years... i think they have very good benefits, good work-life balance but not great bonus. then again, it depends on the company i think... schlumberger if you manage to go on the the "fast programme" then you will be sent for training all over hte world and you get paid in USD, and you get to save all your money because you'll get perdim while on biz trip... that's how my friend saves a lot :p

Stephie, oh your friend clicked twice so she short sell 1 . she could appeal to SGX and the penalty can be waived one leh. Buy shares online is good ah, save cost cuz commission is lower.

HP retrenchment:
That's why I said economy where got recovered. government just spread good news to encourage buying power. otherwise, governement has to spend a lot mah.

XY,
Can send to their place. I think if not too many books (Means not too heavy) should be OK. You have how many books?

Hi, Xiaoyun

Last time I waited for one or two month for kino orders. Customer service officer will tell you estimated time.

I paid NT856 for 2 books, including NT320 transport charges; don't know how overseas transport charges are calculated. Hehe.... received books today.

tongtong
think my fren didn't appeal leh. so i'm not sure what penalty she paid.

does that mean if i buy a stock with CD indicated, i'll get the dividend that's going to be paid soon?

Tongtong, thanks for explaining. I return all to my financial management tutor liao.

Stephie, well, must consider the opportunity costs also. Can hold onto the shares until the cows come home but you lose the future value of money. Even if you put the $ into FD, you'll get interest. If you use CPF, you lose 2.5% interest. But if you buy blue chips that pay good dividends still ok bah. ;P

stephie,
yes. when you see CD, it means the dividend has been announced. normally the price will be a little higher as lots of ppl will go and buy it too.
it's best to look at the past performance of the stock (include past dividend rate and time), buy it before CD is announced. in this way, you earn both the dividend as well as the share price.

tubao,
kino is so slow. $8 per book is still not so bad. just that a bit heart pain as the book is only about $10 and i am paying 80% for the shipping. :p

bluegin,
i would probably get 4 books. each book about 0.5 kg. 5 books total 2 kg. ok?

Stephie, if your friend’s account is tagged to a remisier, it’s likely that the remisier will appeal for the failed delivery. If rejected by the Exchange, the remisier has got to pay $1k fine. if not, then your friend got to pay.

XY, so we are entitled to dividends too even if we buy after CD?

xiaoyun
oic. wow, must really 'study' if wanna invest in shares.

tongtong
$1k fine is so ex!! in this case, doubt my fren paid. shall check with her on that.

mummies.... it mite be a bit too late.. wonder if i can join this group here.. just discovered SMH last year after the borth of my 3rd son in Feb 2008. My 4th was born March this year - so active in Mar/April 2009 thread .. as my EDD was suppose to be 04/04/09.

I have 4 kids

1.9yr old girl - 12.01.00
2.8 yr old girl - 11.02.01
3. 21 month coming yr old boy - 12.02.08
4. 7 month old boy - 28.03.09

my 3rd one took elder sis's date - 2nd sis's month :0 - his EDD was suppose to be 11/02 or 12/02 - he came out cun cun
happy.gif
- if i m not welcome.. it's ok

Idaarshad, welcome.
happy.gif
Wa, your no. 3 and no. 4 age gap quite close. Must be difficult to take care of both of them together. :p

Tongtong, got the pelangi books from Dor today. Thanks, Dor for collecting for me.
happy.gif
Thankfully, she likes the books. Was worried that she's not interested like the Usborne phonics books. Hubby read the 小黄鸭 to her。And just now, she made me read 我的爸爸 from the Rainbow series 3 times in a row. I can almost memorize the story liao. ;P

XY, Lezy, won't be joining for the Positive tots trial. There's a another trial on 14 Nov and Hubby prefers sending her to the Mygym trial to run around cos he thinks she'll enjoy that more. :p

pauline.. thanks... yup.. my elder gerls were also 1 yr apart.. so more like twins.. buy clothes like all the same size.. in fact.. my b2 is a bit bigger than eldest now.....saw ur nick familiar in BPs... u have been shopping yah... heheheh.. was browsing thru threads.. and saw.. u preggy again due in Dec? sorry if i m wrong.. at times. just read other threads to see.. the last stages that i was preggy too... heheheh.. my 3rd was born at 3.845kg.. my 4th @ 4.14kg bb...
happy.gif
big babies... but now their peers who were born smaller are bigger than them now .

now b3 and b4 both very sticky to me lah... boys more sticky than gerls...

Idaarshad, yup, I find your nick familiar too. Must be from the BPs. ;) Wow, your babies are big, natural or c section? Hehe, boys stickier than girls ah? I'm having 2 gals so may never know. My no. 1 already super sticky to me leh, whole day mummy, mummy, mummy. ;P

XY, should be oK. will pm you TAiwan add tonight so that you can mail to the add.

Welcome Idaarshad. Wow. you have 2 girls and 2 boys. Very well-balance. Envy.

Pauline, great to know that Raeanne likes the books. Maybe by age of 3 she can read the whole book for you already. I think they will recognize the word, do you point the words to her while you are reading?

Idaarshad, I just wonder how you cope with 4? Do you have a maid at home?

tong,
yes. still entitled to dividend. just that the amount that the share price increase is comparable to the dividend.
furthermore, share price will drop a bit after XD too.
so, need to find a good timing to enter and exit.

stephie,
i think need to spend some time to read and observe the trend.
haha.. i always ask my hb when i not sure. he wanted to be a remisier but not yet finish the exam. :p

idaarshad,
welcome welcome.
the age gap of each pairs of girl/boy are so close. interesting to see how they grow.
happy.gif

i suppose the 2 big sisters help a lot in terms of taking care of their young brothers?

pauline,
ok.

bluegin,
thanks thanks!!
probably i can pay you a visit in Dec. can see your new born bb too!!
happy.gif

re: reading habits
i recently cleared up a drawer of my tv console to put C's books.
sometimes will add in books borrowed from library for C.
C now will automatically reach for the books when she's bored. i believed i made the right move.

XY, wah your hubby wanna be remisier ah, good leh. Can make good money wor

Books: I realized Shaun is more interested in Chinese books than English books. Dunno why ? Like when I read the Chinese book he will be attentive, but when I read the pooh in English he doesn’t want. He only wants to see pooh/pictures but don’t like my reading. Maybe my English pronunciation sucks? LOL

Tongtong, yup, I point the words to her one by one as I read. Don't know if she's paying attention to the words though. :p

XY, good move on having a dedicated area for Carrie's books.
happy.gif
Previously, all RaeAnne's books were kept mainly in the top shelf of her Ikea wardrobe which she can never reach.

Share the article that I got from the internet when I was trying to convince my hubby that we need to get a bookshelf for RaeAnne.
biggrin.gif

<font color="ff0000">Choosing a child bookshelf</font>
As he builds his book collection, let him store it in his own special child bookshelf. Why do you need a child bookshelf instead of letting him share the one you already have? First, out of practicality, he can’t reach the higher shelves, and if he tries to, he could seriously hurt himself and send rows of your own books falling to the floor. You wouldn’t want that to happen—especially since, long after the injury has healed, he may be too traumatized to pick up a book on his own again.

Giving your child his own child bookshelf also encourages him to take care of his books. By showing him that books are special, because the stories in them are magical and deserve some kind of care and respect, you send the message that reading (and owning a book) is a wonderful grown-up privilege. You know how children think—they want to feel important, and treated like an adult. So make reading a “serious" business: “This is a very special book, and we’ll give you a very special child bookshelf to put it in."

Storing books in a child bookshelf also make it very convenient for a child to get a book when he’s bored. The desire to read may hit him at the oddest and most inconvenient times, like when you’re preparing dinner, or in the middle of doing the laundry. If his books are kept in a child bookshelf, he can take them out and return them with minimum fuss. He’ll also like the freedom to choose from his collection, which he can browse through freely. Children like having choices and a child bookshelf provides them with that opportunity.

Ruth seems to have some sort of erm....i duno what u cal lit.

She can't really stand her things being 'tidied'.

If i put a group of green cubes/balls together, she'll rush there and just sweep them all apart - quite frantically too.

If I gave her a box of toys, she'll pour them ALL out.

If I put a bunch of books together, she'll take them all out one by one and throw them all over.

I dunno if it's a phase, or a serious issue i need to correct man.

and welcome idaarshad - abit hard to type that. got another nick for us to address u by?

pauline, it's ok re the positive tots.

My GYm: iso and I brought E and Ruth for the busy buddies (bb) before at the Great World City outlet called Grace Kids. It's 1.5 hour long and basically has all sorts of activities. Parent's role is just to 'accompany' or "jagar' the kid lah. THe teachers' roles are to engage the kids in fun and play. Different focus from PT.

but i think it's really diff from the positive tots(pt).

BB is 1.5 hours of play. Kids run around, explore things in accordance with their schedule (songs, story telling, arts n craft, snack time, etc). It's like a massive playgroup with lots of toys. Even if kids dun wanna participate in the activity of the moment, they can do anything else in the room (read a book, play with toys/slide etc).

PT is more of behavioural analysis/correction for both parent and child. Our tots are expected to sit with us/run with us/lie with us etc. When one tot gets uncontrollable (like Ruth does!!), I'll have to either bring her to one side, give her water, rock her etc, or bring her out of class for awhile to calm down then rejoin the class. In PT, we're trying to see how we can get the tots to 'cooperate' in a positive way. Not the "you-better-come-here-or-i'll-spank-u" kind of way but persuasively via singing, distracting activities etc.

Just to share, teacher said Ruth improve in the 3-4 sessions. IN the 1st/2nd, she'll HOLLER at the door and want out. Last week, she just went to the door and 'touch touch' the door knob and try to open it..but did not holler (she's like trying her luck to see if I'll relent!!). She also would rejoin us when persuaded with singing/distraction instead of a full-blown meltdown.

*phew*

it's stressful for me every week but i think it's doing BOTH of us good - i think particularly cuz Ruth can be quite a challenge and REALLY tries me A LOT!!!

i have huge problems setting boundaries for her consistently...partly cuz if grandma is around, she will run to grandma. My mum realy spoil market for me la. hahaha..but she loves her plenty and does a lot of things for her in other aspects so i cannot complain. Just that when she's with me, I'll have to enforce discipline lor.

my hubby is a tough one. he is unable to 'enjoy' the class after 1 week try. So now every week i'll go in. Cuz PT has quite a bit of yoga play - that's like asking for his life. :p But now all i ask of is his support. Dun wanna participate/learn never mind, but dun discourage me can liao!!

lezy, thanks for explaining. I also told hubby that positive tots is more about positive discipline for kids but din know how to explain better cos no details. :p I think he may be more concerned about the distance and whether we can commit long term since it coincides with her nap time. I'll show him your post and let him decide bah. :p

tubao,
i finished 50% of the book liao. likes it a lot.
*highly recommended* for anyone that likes the book 'Calm and Compassionate Children', you will like the book written by bubu too.

there's a quote from this book i think it's very meaningful and should share it here:
管教不是教孩子去做,而是默默的做给孩子学。

lezy,
probably ruth likes to see how the way/sound that things drop on the floor.
C likes to push the blocks that i build for her too. she doesn't seems interested to build the blocks by herself yet.

from what you describe, the positive tots class is something that i am really interested to learn.
happy.gif

Pauline, distance is a practical concern!!! Esp since you are giving birth liao and need to go for confinement.

Info, i signed up for 8 sessions, they give me 10 weeks to complete...meaning i can have 2 weeks buffer. I'm not sure if in your case, sekali u sign up after trial and give birth, how it will affect.

I believe the reason behind this limit is for the effectiveness of the lessons. Imagine if space apart too much, the lessons learnt will not be effective - esp if not practiced at home.

So in your case, maybe have to put it off till later...or find a location nearer your place. You can go to www.positivefocus.com.sg to see if got other locations.I'm not sure if other location is same teacher or not though.

USBORNE:

I chanced upon one book on the new-books section in the library and borrowed it for her! heh.

haven't really try it out with her yet - but so far i have a lot of books at home - mostly she not interested. sigh.

SHe likes this winnie the pooh book that's like 1 line per page.

She will flip through other books on her own now - mostly those 'hard page' type cuz she'll tear pages!! We bought a lot of last time - one series is those one word per page. Another series is lift the flap type.

I realize nowadays she dun like me to read to her. She wana touch the book herself, flip at her own pace and etc.

RUth doesn't really talk yet also. When i ask her to call mummy, she'll go "ba!".

xiaoyun,
yeap definitely a good idea to have a dedicated book shelf. C every night will go to his book shelf and choose his books when I told him to
happy.gif

tongtong,
perhaps when you read chinese books you use more intonation? and perhaps the english books wordings is too long? I usually choose a book with shorter catchy rhymes for C as I find he enjoys it more... e.g. there is a Pooh book with one page saying "Ah ha ! Oh boy ! Hoo Hoo ! A Clue ! Count the butterflies ! &amp; the bees too!" C memorise this line by now and he will start to count after we finish the last sentence... it's so cute ! and the parents enjoy it too
happy.gif

lezy,
same thing here! C likes to pour all out of the box whether it's a shape sorter box or flash cards or puzzles but I make it a point to ask him to pick up and put it back in the box... off course a few seconds later he will pour it all out again but I will ask him to put back again... I think this way helps... you just have to be persistent so that the kid understands that you need to tidy things up after you make a mess!

lezy,
most books that C likes are picture books too.
she doesn't read the words too. will look at the pictures, point on the things and say it in her own language.
or sometimes likes to feel the texture. no hurry for them to read, take it slowly. just keep talking and talking and talking.. she will learn some day.
happy.gif

where's the new-books section in library?

yes. that's the book recommended in mandarin. if you interested, can get the simplified chinese version from amazon.cn or dangdang.
happy.gif

wow! so early everyone so active. guess everyone's as EXCITED as i am about work on a monday morning
happy.gif

idaarshad
welcome! wow, 4 kids, we'll definitely look to you for more advice on how to handle all of them, lol.

bkk
hey can i cancel my butterfly kit order? in case i have no time to collect it and it grows into a butterfly before i can, haha!! but if my hubby and i can run all our errands by sat, i'll msg u to see if we can squeeze in for the trip on sunday? or do you need to firm up all numbers before that?

lezy
could it be that sometimes our tots are not used to the idea of structured class? at gymboree E is always running around by himself (also he has a lot of confidence, not scared, so he'll just go off and play), whereas the other kids will gather around when it's time to sit down.. not sure if he will change after a while.

but dumping out toys from a container and sweeping them around, i think it's q normal? E does that too. we're thinking of keeping some toys already cos he seems only interested to pour everything out and not really play with it!

XY
good thinking about the shelf! and nice to hear the positive feedback. in our new place, i'm planning to put some short book shelves esp for the kids books and toys. think hubby is supportive, if not i will tell him C's story. haha.

Tute, erm! You are right! The pooh story books that I read to him is for primary kids. It’s really too long! The Chinese books that I read to him is simple for toddlers, and I guess he understands Chinese better than English because I speak to him in Chinese at home.

Guess channet can sense that I'm leaving her with my MIL. Recently, she kept requesting to sleep with my MIL. A bit remorseful for me, but it is for the better. As I cannot attend to her during my confinement, I will have to miss her for a month. Last sat, went for the maternity PS, when me and my hubby hug together, Channet just resisted. Dun understand y?
My photographer friend just gives up taking studio shoot for channet. Claiming that for the 2hrs studio shooting, she din even stop for a rest. Basically, Channet was amazed by the new environment. She really enjoyed herself there.

tongtong,
I sure hope Channet can appreciate Chinese books as I only start her on chinese recently. We din have much chinese book at home. But currently she shows no interest in reading chinese book. Sigh...
BTW, when the pelangi books be arriving? I think need to collect after my confinement.

Back