(2008/02) Feb 2008 MTBs

pauline,
i didn't go to the cuppage outlet - i went to the liang seah street one. my therapist was really good. she's a china national and with RN for 7 years liao focusing on doing the pre/post natal massages. i actually feel lighter and slimmer today hehe...but could be purely psychological after paying good $$
biggrin.gif

i signed up for 10x pre-natal / postnatal massage at spa instead of the postnatal home visit promo. really tempted - but recall A didn't like the jamu herbs smell so i had to shorten my malay massage sessions. so scared if i sign up for the RN package later cannot use a bit sayang

the lady said your package better deal cos there are some extra freebies now no longer available.

Gar, oic, how much is the package you signed? Can PM me? I thought Rustic Nirvana use more herbs than jamu? I also not very sure cos Venus told me said I can have a steam bath after the massage and they will bring down the 'equipment' to my home. I told her I thought cannot bathe during confinement, she said this one is herbal and special, even Zoe Tay tried the same thing and she can 'bathe' so sure can. I was sold cos don't like the oily feeling after masssage. The last time, kenna hives because of it so scared liao. :p

pauline,
sure will msg you. don't think my package is that cheap, but it's near my office so more convenient can go during lunch time.

my colleague did the RN post natal home treatment before. she says the steam bath is like machum sauna - you cover yourself with this cloth with a machine below that produces steam so it's very hot will sweat like a pig to remove the toxins and excess water. so i guess alright for confinement since it's not bathing.

i'll probably stick to the malay lady massage for home and then when i'm ready to go out can do the post natal spa package at RN itself.

bluegin,
channet so fast A-Z already!!!

re: no bathing after delivery
i strongly don't believe this!
The old confinement rules are set during the time when the water is dirty, no heater.
the reason for not bathing is to prevent infection of the wounds due to dirty water. Ppl discourage bathing because winter to avoid catching cold.
In Singapore, water is clean and we have water heater. Just to make sure that you wipe your body dry after bathing and prevent catching cold. Should have no problem at all.

I didn't follow most of the confinement rule. Just ensure that I stay healthy and happy.
I feel that I am healthier and more energetic than before. :p

Gar, wa, machine sauna ah, no wonder she say must bring down the equipment. Okie lar, for me most important is that they bring the massage bed. I don't really like lying on the floor for massage cos my neck aches when twisted to 1 side. Then when they massage the shoulders, also not shiok cos posture is not natural.

Can go during lunch hour's good, wish I can have a pre natal massage NOW! :p The RN post natal massage is good, includes wrap as well, they apply some herbs on body (which they keep warm on a charcoal stove). Smells nice.
happy.gif

Pauline, ok I will wait for dor this Sunday. If she din come then I will ask hubby to bring to office anyway. You just come to collect anyday you like ya? Yea understand your backache now. Rest more but treat walking to the central as exercise. Walk more can deliver faster! Hehe

Hi Mommies! It had been a while since I last posted, how are things with you and your toddlers? And congrats to all those preg!

Any toddlers taking 1 nap now? Mine's still on 2 naps, but only 1 hour each.

Abt the UK toddler with high IQ, DD1 also can recite A - Z at 18 months at spoke at complete sentence before 2 years old, but she not high IQ leh... hahaha! With DD3, I don't have time, even my GD flashcards are white elephant now (not that I used them alot during DD1's time).

Tongtong, problem is I can't find any comfortable position even when lying down. Walking is worse cos I need to balance the BIG tummy in front when I talk. Sigh, think I must rub some Bengay cream from last pregnancy liao. Today, must ask my hubby to massage for me. He keeps falling asleep with RaeAnne nowadays. :p

pauline,
ya main draw for me is the proximity cos it means the package less likely to be a white elephant and un-utilized.

yeah can go for post natal spa together although if you want to wait for me i will only go in Mar 10 hehe

can imagine your backache - maybe you can go tmw mng when raeanne is at playgroup? cos they stop massaging at 32 weeks so better make sure you go soon!

No bathing after delivery
Read this on a chinese papers many years ago.. why the saying of no bathing after delivery, that's because in olden days, the bathroom are OUTSIDE the house and there's no heater. For a woman who has just delivered, she may be exposed to strong wind to and fro the bathroom, what's more bathing in COLD water.

Garfield : Yes I have enrolled her in a CC already. She will start in Mid Jan 2010.

Reciting A-Z: Amanda can recite as well but maybe will mumble one or two alphabets and can identify most letters. But I panicked when she does that! Cos I believe its more useful to recognise words that have meanings. Nowadays when she sees a word, she will try to identify the alphabets in that word but i ask her to say out the whole word instead but she simply refused. It kind of upset me. Sorry if I sounded crazy or a wet blanket here haha.

No bathing after delivery : can someone pls educate our older generation then I won't have to suffer the next time. Sigh......

iso,
ya i mean rustic nirvana =)

bathing after delivery,
i also broke all confinement rules...bathed the day after i delivered plus wash hair too. at home i bathe every day (in the evening)

apple,
good for you! where are you sending amanda?

apple,
probably you go and get some books regarding modern confinement for them to read.
there are quite a number of this books in chinese. you can try to find them at popular.

for stubborn elderly like my mum, you've got to use other ppl to tell them the theory rather than telling them yourself.
but there's no guarantee that they will listen.
definitely will nag "next time you suffer than you regret.."
either you accept, ignore or feel frustrated over it.
sad.gif

Garfield : I am sending her to Little Footies schoolhouse or otherwise known as Cambridge @ AMK

Xiaoyun: actually my mum still not so bad but my MIL ..... and she can't read.... and always listen to her sisters or other pple..........haiz... actually she allowed me to bath but only with a small pail of herbal water which i secretly add more water ahah. One small pail where got enough? As for hair.... I had to resort to sneaking out to salon to wash ahhaa. The worst thing is my husband kind of support her although he helped to sneak me out to the salon after much pleading from me.

i bathed a few hours after delivering
happy.gif
and my mum bathed after she had me too, but she is not v traditional lah.
i remember when i was in confinement once i met a friend who lives in the same block as my mum at the block downstairs, and she was like, "aren't you in confinement?? (what are you doing out of the house?" i replied (and i always tell people this!) that i'm in confinement, not house arrest!!! lol.

re: A-Z
so actually there are lots of high IQ ppl here.
just that they didn't go for MENSA test. :p

So its not true. Recite A-Z does not equate to high IQ. I think a low IQ person can do that also if they listen to it regularly.

re: IQ
apple,
i know it's not exactly true.
since newspaper correlates the high IQ with reciting A-Z at 18 months, why not accept it in order to make yourself happy? :p

IQ is very dependent on how the kid is brought up as well.

apple,
what are the charges like?

the one i'm considering is $750 for half day after subsidy. i find it a bit expensive.

the plus side is that they have weekly enrichment by gym kidz (1hr) and kindermusik (1hr) who send their staff down to conduct lessons. so i guess if i deduct the cost of those lessons which is about $200+ the CC itself is about $500+

apple79 & XY,
Yalor. Knowing A-Z cannot tell if a kid is high in IQ. Should have some other things to prove. Some kids start to talk early mah. Our neighbour kids can count 1-10 at 15months

RE: Childcare

Today I got a call from My First Skool (NTUC Childcare) around my place (a few blocks across the street). The lady told me that there was vacancy for Danica to start in January 2010. It would cost SGD288.50 for full day after all subsidies and discount (NTUC member). Now I dilemma. Should I send Danica for full day childcare and terminate my maid? The other option would be to put Danica in a 2 hour playgroup that is just next to my block and keep my maid. My HB was saying that if we selected the second option, it would be cheaper on our pockets but I would have no time to assist him in his business or time for us to monitor our trades/investments. What do you gals think?

Garfield: the CC is $560 after subsidy for full day and $530 for half day. The enrichment classes for 5 days are pretend play, gym, music and movement etc. They outsourced to Gym Kidz too! But i am not sure if music and movement is outsourced as well. All these no added costs for toddler group. But for nusery or K1/K2 (cannot remember), they have other things which are outsourced like speech and drama, swimming, computer. I think only speech and drama is chargeable at $30 to $40 plus which I think is cheap leh and I saw the speech and drama teacher is ang mo (which i think is good cos native speaker).
The minus point is Amanda has to take sch bus.....(added cost for us)
Will Arielle gets to attend the enrichment classes since you intend to put her half day? Cos so far the ones I enquired, their enrichment classes are in the afternoon.

Artermis : Did u check out the CC and how comfortable are you with putting Danica in there for full day?

Re:A-Z

Apple, Blueginer and Reena.. i am very impressed!! Can you all share how your gers manage to pick up A-z so fast since there are many letters. What do you all do with them, what books you all read, what shows you all watch. I am really very curious... actually i do feel a bit lousy knowing that i cant teach my kid as well as what other mummies are doing. Hope you all can share k..

Re:CC
Gar.. and Apple.. no offence but for myself and hubby.. i think both $750 and $560 are all out of my budget.. too expensive for me to accept.. i do at times wish i can send her for better CC with good programmes but i really cant imagine.. if i got 2-3 kids in future and i need to times 3... its quite straining for us.

The reason why i put her on wait list for st james is because its still affordable.. prob abt 300 odd per month. But if she cant get into st james.. i will have to look for other alternative.I wish i can provide a better cc for her but too many factors to consider..
sad.gif

Crystal!! Wow.. daryl is already 5 mnths old!! Time flies. u must try to update ur blog so we can see more pics of cheryl and daryl... cheryl must be very pretty now.. haven see her pics for so long.

Gar, alamak, I'm already 32 weeks and 3 days tomorrow. Don't think they'll accept me anymore right? Afternoon, I applied Bengay then sleep sideway with a bolster infront of me and 2 pillow behind my back. Seemed to help a bit since I don't have those maternity pillow so try and make do. Just now, ask hubby to massage Bengay for me after RaeAnne slept. Feels a bit better when the Bengay is working but got to keep reapplying cos not very hot after a while.

Tongtong, second pregnancy is usually more xinku cos second time MTBs' bellies are usually bigger cos stretched already. Imagine, my waistline is already 39.5 inches and I still have another 7 weeks plus to go. So, the strain on my lower back is worse this time lor. Breathlessness also started earlier. :p

Genice, I'm SAHM so I also can't afford to send RaeAnne to expensive playgroup or halfday CC. I was very tempted to send her Elfa but half day prog costs $400 per month, still need to pay for the weekly gym class. Maid costs another $500+ so in the end, I send her to nearby RC playgroup $130 per month. Cheap cheap. Facilities and activities cannot be compared to the more posh set ups for sure but in the end, I console myself lor. At least she still learns something than if I don't send her at all and she learns to be more sociable. Next month, they are having a RC performance somemore, will be fun to see my gal on stage. Haha.
happy.gif

Genice: actually gwen might already know them just that she don't verbalise them? I think she learnt them from brainy baby DVD and at home I do have some pass me downs ABC books. But as eliaw said, it might be more useful to learn the sounds of the letters or (i think) to recognise words.

CC : Not that I earn a lot but I have to cut down expenses on other areas. It will be straining for me too if i send 2 kids to CC! If I am a SAHM (which I can't), I will prefer to send her to playgroup instead and do some teaching on my own at home.

Hi, Artemis,
Long time no see!
didn't hear from you about Danica for long....
hehe..... how about having a blog for Danica since you're tech person ^_^.

Just my 2cents thought.
Skill learnt at business and trading, will help mulitiply $$ maybe exponentially. But money you save won't.

tubao, my hubby attended those 3-day intensive wealth management/trading workshops, attended numerous sharing sessions post workshop. But in the end only paper trade. Then no more free trading monitoring account cos change platform or something. So, spends thousands of $, also never get back anything. I think he's just too cautious and not aggressive enough to be a shares/option investor lor. :p

artemis,
guess it depends on why you are sending danica to childcare. is it for exposure? for learning? or for actual "care". just to share - for me, with #2 coming - the most obvious solution is to get a live-in maid. however, both hb and i do not want a live-in maid, so I am sending her to half day CC partly for actual "care" (since they will help with life-skills such as potty training, self-feeding etc) and partly for exposure.

apple,
hmm...interesting! full day and half day rate only differs by $40?! the place i'm sending to conducts most of their activities in the morning. so it still works out for me. i didn't scrutinize their K1/K2 syllabus cos my immediate need is to find a place that my parents and i can agree on (and for them - syllabus is the least important haha.....)

same as you - i had a chat with hb on how we can cut baak on other areas. luckily we have some tax savings + next year car loan is over so those $ will be re-channeled to expenses for the kids instead.

genice,
no offence at all =) i guess the diff for FTWM is that we have NO CHOICE but to send to CC lor...which is not a good thing. i also prefer to have her at home and send to playgroups instead. but with #2 really cannot cope so it's either a live-in maid + playgroup or CC.

and even though i'm working - i agree it's expensive. unfortunately i cannot find a cheaper CC that my parents and i can agree on. so family harmony for me comes first $$ is secondary
biggrin.gif

pauline,
i think you can still go this week cos yet to enter 33 weeks. but must be this week lor. i find the massage really helps me - after my session on wed evening, i feel much better these two days so the effect is quite lasting. even my super thrifty mom encouraged me not to save the $$ and should go to relieve the backache.

Gar, thanks. I'm only free this afternoon but don't think I can book a slot so last minute leh. Last 2 days have been going out so very sian when I think of the bus and MRT ride all the way to Somerset and back. Travelling will take 2 hours to and fro for 1 hr massage. Sigh.

good morning mummies!!!

long weekend is coming!!

pauline,
Is the playgroup that RaeAnne attending TalentPlus?

$6-700 for childcare. expensive leh, yearly will be $10k liao.

artemis,
long time never hear from you.
i thought you are working fulltime, how to help your hb monitor investment?

pauline,
R perform on stage ah. must be very interesting.
i can't imagine how to train a 21 month old to perform?
my first performance is at 6 yo only.

tong,
who's taking care of S now?
last time you said there's a neighbor to help you, is she still helping?
u looking for childcare or playgroup?

ours is off-day in lieu.

XY, nope, hers is Adroit Education, they also do tuition classes for primary school kids. :p

Ya lor, we think that she'll help to ruin the performance but the teacher said some other classmates were even younger when they first performed on stage. So, we decided to just let her try lor. The teacher said they'll just carry her down if she cries on stage. ;P

Gar, I'm thinking of going back to part time/full time work when no. 2 turns 18 mths so that I can afford my 2 gals' CC fees. Still thinking of sending them to ELfa cos they had gym class, pianica and swimming lessons when reach K1. Can send both of them in together to 'zhuang dan', haha. But by then, RaeAnne will be 4 years old, don't know whether worth it or not.
happy.gif

My first performance was at 17 years old for JC choir musical, even worse lor. :p

XY, got a BP selling Narfoye items with 10% off and free postage. Do you know how much is your sis selling the Air cool mat for Baby cot? If your sis is cheaper, then I support her instead. I can self collect, she can save on postage.
happy.gif

Garfield : Half day and full day the price won't differ much due to the subsidy by govt.

XY- actually I also think quite long leh cos its quite a sum of $$ but after looking around, its really hard to find one that meet what I want and is cheap. But come to think of it, the mkt rate for a nanny is already min $500, not much diff yah plus CC has lessons for kids to learn and also provide opportunities for them to interact with other children.

Now I am only worried abt seperation anxiety when the time comes..

today v happy, tried the 24K gold serum from BP recently and received 2 compliments on my skin from colleagues...sorry *vain pot* hehe

hello mummies! finally have a breather from work... was so sian this week due to workload, feeling so sad i can't spend much time with C coz after i reach home, shower + have dinner then it's time for me to get on some conf call.

re:CC
is 400 exp? I think most of the ones I saw is around >500. For me i have to pay full amount cause I have no subsidy so no choice
sad.gif
Unfortunately all around my area are full, so I'm thinking to send C slightly further but must be in an area where my maid can still pick him up...

re:recognizing alphabets,
bluegin/apple/reena, your daughters are all so smart! eventhough it's not an indication of high IQ as some ppl say, for me it's still an achievement because recognising alphabets is not easy as some are quite similar... the only alphabet C recognise well is t and he says it's a cross cos it looks like a cross... :p

re:phonics,
i installed this free trial phonics app in my iphone and i think it's quite usefull, you click on the alphabet and it will play the phonic sound for you. C likes to follow the sound and it's useful for me too coz i didn't study phonics so certain character i'm not sure how to pronounce it too... his fave so far is "s" :p

re:development
some recent development i notice from C is his ability to verbalise his rejection for something. In the past he used to reject by crying and struggling. These days, he will simply say no and if you try to go against his will, he will struggle. So now I respect if he says no, I will try to coax him a bit, or I will wait until he doesn't say no anymore. This usually happens when we try to feed him or bathe him, coz usually we will ask him first "do you want to eat/bathe/etc".

re:usborne phonics,
i saw online and these books are recommended for kids 3-5 yrs old... so maybe won't buy it for now...

gar,
i agree with the rest leh... your skin looks great! but i know how ppl's compliment can make your day... i usually get comments from ppl saying "you look tired", after i came back from my leave then one of my colleague told me i look younger... haha... so happy, but after 3 wks of working am quite sure i am back to looking tired... heheh...

pauline,
what's Elfa? never heard before.

my sis said will be cheaper. which design you want?
she's going back malaysia this weekend. you want to collect this week?

btw, still need cool mat as the weather is cooler nowadays? i keep mine already loh.
happy.gif

apple,
nanny no government subsidy. i thought it's already $650?

Vernon oso start on his new CC on 1st OCT. i prefer this CC den the previous is becos i think vernon can learn more in this sch. every friday, the teacher will update us what they learn.

although it is not branded one. i think it is still ok lah. $280 after subsidies. the principal told me they are increasing the fees soon.

re: phonics
i've actually not yet exploring what's that and how to teach that.
is that something like the leapfrog ball that we bought. when you press the alphabet than it will say aa, ba, ke, de, ee, etc?

any of your kids still playing the toys that we bought last time? e.g., leapfrog ball? exploration station?

Back