(2007/11) November MTBs

Catherine, glad to hear that ur dad is alright!

Babies tend to be cranky after their jab as they re feeling uncomfortable.

catherine ~ yup, glad ur dad is recovering well.
your BB jovan so chubby & cute...
happy.gif
dont they all look like angels when they are soundly sleeping hor...
happy.gif

hi twiggy,the collapsed teat for level 1 happened only a few times. i think it was a combination of my gal was super hungry and she sucked really hard and tightening the white cap too tight.

hi mummies,

have any "kiasu" mummies started their babies "education" liao, eg. flash cards, right left brain development etc... wonder any of you done any "research" for shichida, Glenn doman methods.

very "uncomfortable" that my boy is doing nothing everyday, also run out of things to entertain him, bought him lots of toys and different types of gyms, bouncer, rattles until my parents called me siao but their attention span so short, so everything go shopping sure ended up buying lots of his toys.

that day read about before go to pri 1 must already know simple maths and 100 words, started to worry cos my boy born in Nov, how to complete with those in jan, my nephew now 2 yrs plus born jan 2007 so by the time he goes pri 2, my son already in pri 1 but the difference is 2 yrs plus and my nephew now knows hundreds and hundreds of words liao.... how not to be kiasu :-(

S@L, my hb was ard when that happened, he was in the toilet and lucky i din get scolding from him coz' he was the one who was against belting her up (worried too tight might caused rashes). so now, we belt her everytime she sleeps in the rocker...heh heh...

catusnah, yah loh...2 sad events in a week for her...luckily she is too young to be traumatised by them. thank God, she is ok, dun have any bad symptoms.

re: bb head
my gal always slept face up, so the back of her head is flat! and the cheekbone is big, so my hb tried to make her sleep sideway, attempting to give her nicer shape..but always failed.

re: losing weight
haiz...my jeans is loser than before (good sign), but my top is still fat. so demoralising coz when i went shopping the past 2 days, i bought L size clothes. no longer can fit into M size!

i am too lazy to go for exercise, so now, i depend on bf to lose weight.

efynn, dun worry too much abt bb drinking lesser. as u can see, most of the mummies also commented that their bb are drinking lesser nowadays, so i think this should be just a phase.
as for your bm supply, it will drop initially, could be due to work or inconsistent pumping sessions. try to drink more water, hot milo or take fenugreek or pump more often when u are at home and during weekends, your supply will come back. dun be stress yeah!

grace, sigh...so difficult to look for infant care in tiong bahru. i rem there is one childcare in tiong bahru mall, but not sure whether have infant care or not. i am desperate to look for one now coz i worried that infant care will be full coz there are quite a number of piggy born last year!
happy.gif

happy....aiyo! u are so kiasu leh! so young start flashing cards?!!! hehehe...

just talk to ur bb more often lah, show him sign language vcd when he is older, so he can communicate with u. i din flash cards to my gal but she can speak well and in long sentences since 2 yo.

some mummies dun allow their kids to watch tv, but i prefer to let her watch those kiddy show like Hi-5 and Barney as she learns a lot of songs from there, imitate the dance movements and become interested to learn new words. But, i also make it a point that she only watch for 1 hr only so that she dun become tv addict.

i do agree that nov kids can "lose out" to kids born earlier, but no choice leh...
my elder gal was born in end march and she can speak well, however her frens in the childcare born in nov, can't communicate at all! they only know how to say a few words, can't string sentences yet.

I dun worry so much for my bb now, coz i have frens who were born in dec, she is also smart and graduate from uni. bb can catch up with their peers eventually.

olive,

yes alot of my frens' gals can speak sentences at 2 years but boys seem to be slower in speaking hor???

my nephew can read and recognise words before he can speak at 1 yrs plus so I will show flash cards to my bb when he is older :) we did not show him the sign language vcd, instead we show him your bb can read vcd, leapfrog phonics, barney, baby bright and my sis uses glenn doman method on him and yes he is a tv addict now but only addict to kids vcd, my sis tried to restrict him too. Is the sign language vcd good? really can communicate alot, sound interesting.

i myself is born in dec, during my time, we are allow to catch up but now the educational system so unfair, stream the kids so young and some of the slower one at young ages seem to be "sentenced" as slow learner and therefore "lousy" category, usually will affect their motivation and learning though they are supposed to catch up later, just find it too unfair :-(

happy, i like the bb sign language vcd coz it helped my elder gal to communicate with us thru sign language. she can "tell" us she wants milk or she want to drink. kids can get frustrated when we couldn't understand what they want, so thru' sign languages, they will learn how to communicate with us better and happier.

i personally find it very useful.

Happy, same here i also got a set of flashcards intend to start when she turn 3 mths! hahaha cos i saw a afellow forum mummy used falshcards for her son since 3rd mth and by 8mth he can actually recognise the words both in Eng and Chinese characters. for my son i was too lazy and didnt believe also dun wan to be so kiasu...hahaha..no harm trying if have the time lo.

Olivetree, i agree totally tt children born end of the yr very 'lugi' in terms of 'catching up' with other kids. And to make matters worse, boys are slower than girls in terms of milestones and learning ability. My son being the only boy in his class, tend to lose out tt way. But a blessing in disguise, teachers pay more attention to him hahaha....

olive, s@l,

the flash cards really need alot of effort from mums, my sis a SAHM so she can flash him 5-9 times per day, I dun think i can do that, i so lazy type. surprisingly my nephew loves flash cards, my sis makes it like a game to him so everytime when she said flash cards time, he will be very excited and drop everything he is doing at the moment and sit down waiting for my sis to flash him. they really learn fast, teach once or twice and they know liao.

the first time my sis knows he can read is thru the word "barney" he loves barney so i bought home a barney toy, on the packaging there is no pic of barney or barney logo, just the word spelled "barney" straight away, he said "ba ba" that is how he pronounce barney, we then tested him on several occassion, bought him those match word and picture puzzles meant for 3 or 4 yrs old, we mixed the pictures and ask him to place those pictures to the correct words w/o reading it to him, he scored 100, really amazing. he was less than 2 yrs old. the theory of flash cards is not to test your kid but to help them to learn faster, you dun need them to remember the words or spell it out for you, was told that becos we flash them the words before, in the future in their schools, when they come across the same word again, subconsiously they will sort of remember they saw this word before and will learn better and faster lor

olive, the sign vcd got teach communication like can or cannot ? worried that if they teach my boy to communicate want to drink milk to me (as he is a greedy boy) all the time and can i reject him that it is not time yet so cannot drink ? :)

s@l,

talking about yr end kids being "lugi" you should ask me about it since i am born in dec :) i used to wonder whether i am stupid or what, in class when teacher teaches us something, i always have alot of questions but none of my classmates put up their hands and ask so i thought only i dun understand?? therefore i also too shy to put up my hands lor, 1+2=3 (this i can understand) 1+? =3 ( this one i cannot understand) i used to have this problem, my dad scolded me that my brain is square and cannot turn around, only after pri 6, then my results catches up with my classmates. there are also 2 things i hate most being born in dec. no 1. every mth in school, teacher will celebrates some classmates birthdays with cakes and presents, we will also bring some little presents for that classmates but my birthday falls on dec and it is school holiday, Shxx! so unfair, cannot blow candles, no classmates and teacher to sing me birthday song and no presents, so lugi! No 2. Dec 2007 I just celebrated my 33rd birthday, come 1 Jan 2008, I have to put 34 yrs old down as my age in most documents! helo, my 33rd birthday only less than 1 month leh :-(

Mummies,
I am born in Sept. I also find I am not smart in Pri school. I still remember that I was get the 3rd last grade in the class in Pri 2. However, my "brain" catchup when i was in Sec school. I am the top 10 students.
happy.gif

Year end children will be slower in class because they are younger but the positive thing is that they learn thing earlier
happy.gif

dokie,superhappymum, s@L,

yes me definitely looks youngest in the class, always queue up in front and always arranged to be seated in the front row in class though now I am 1.63cm

hi girls,

*** GIVE AWAY***
have 50 pieces of Pampers Comfort(from Malaysia) to give away. M size - 6 to 11kg.
But the cutting abit small for my girl's thunther thighs.

Let me know if you want it.
Self collect at Bt Merah View (Near Tiong Bahru)

=)

hi mummies,
how do u know whether yr babies had finished his/her nap? cos my bb will wake up like after 15mins crying. and i don't think it's due to milk cos she juz drank abt 2hrs ago. i do put her pacifier to sleep..but i can't always stick the pacifier in when she wakes up crying..mayb looking for it?
plus if she wakes up, it's hardly to play...it's usually to feed. how? it's quite distracting when i finanlly put her to sleep and she wakes up 15mins later..crying. how to do anything? i don't want to keep putting pacifier in leh.

hi skye,

my boy also wakes up and cry but usually i will pick him up and rock him to sleep again and then put him down again, only very very occassionally he wakes up and still lie down quietly then started to suck on his fist again but after a while he will also scream and cry. if after rocking he still dun want to sleep and eyes big big, then i know he dun want to sleep again lor.

i used to give him pacifier cos he is a sucky bb but one night he kept waking up and cry after the pacifier dropped off, so like you i got to put it in for him, usually when he is drowsy, i will quickly take it out, dun want him to sleep with it but sometimes he is very cranky and insist to have pacifier even when fall asleep but after that night episode when i have to keep putting it in for him when it drops off, i told my parents that no more pacifier for him anymore, initially he will be cranky when want to sleep so we just rock and rock lor, still prefer the rocking rather than pacifier to sleep cos cannot be 24 hrs sit by him and help him with his pacifier mah

hi mummies,

wonder if yaolan helps in sleeping problem? my boy needs to rock until sleep then we put him on his stomach to sleep during daytime. just thinking anyway needs to rock and rock him to sleep then might as well use a yaolan??? but my PD told me if possible no yaolan pls, too many injuries according to her. My concern is if i use yaolan in the day, will that affect his sleep in the night, he is okay to sleep on his back in his cot during the night lor so i worry once start to do yaolan in the day, wait he refuses to sleep in his cot at night? any mummies got experience on this??

S@L, happy,
where did u get yr flashcards? i tried looking around at Popular but can't find nice ones.
i read somewhere that bb from birth to 2yrs are storing vocabulary for later use, so talking to them helps. plus reading to them helps too..esp cos words in books are not normally used in our daily conversations.

dokie,
it's ok, dun really need it cos i bought clothes for new year le
happy.gif

hi mummies

do your baby behave like mine? My gal nowadays wants us to carry her in those facing out position. Once we start cradle her in sleeping position, she will start to wail, like knowing that we are asking her to sleep.

By the way, those who have the Gina Ford's "Little contented baby" book. What is the colour of the book cover and the 2006 edition contents are similar to the current edition? Please advise

thanks

k@ye,
her cries doesn't sound like a nightmare, but more a 'i want attention' or juz making frustrated noise..which i guess is that she wants help to zz.

happy,
thanks, tho i try not to pick her up to rock her that's y i'll put her pacifier in previously. phewsy..not easy, gotta con't to experiment..dun wanna create any wrong sleep associations but my bb can't sleep on her own anyway. gee..

fanny,
my bb too..she likes to be in a upright position. so that she can see things..and usually it's cos at that position, i'll be carrying her.

skye, yes indeed talking to bb helps a lot. usually bbs who are being talked to often by adults react faster and slightly smarter. cos my mum used to be a bb sitter (now still is! haha looking aft mine) and she told me some of those kids she looked aft, parents are so busy and seldom communicate with the bb, they tend to be slower in terms of speech.

for my son, we didnt use flashcards or attend any enrichment, but we talked a lot to him, so far he is ok.

I bought the flashcards from popular. There are few types but make u buy the bigger ones so its easier to flash.i bought a set few yrs ago (tot of using on my son), but they were too small and cant hold properly so cannot flash fast enough.

skye,

mine also no way to sleep by himself during the day, night can funny hor, those mummies who bb can sleep by themselve can give us tips and advises other than leaving them to cry for hours :) (yaolan helps??)

fanny,
my boy after full mth already dun like cradle, prefer high up at shoulder so very tiring for my neck and shoulder everyday, he hates cradle unless in a very drowsy stage

skye,

i used to be very firm and against about picking my baby up straight away when he crys or rock him to sleep or even pacifier, so beginning my bb cried and scream and for me i saw and felt that is more traumatising for a newborn and alots of books and professional said must give bb sense of security, love and warmth, then they will develop better so i slowly give in, now as long as he is happy, anything also can :)

happy

my gal wants us to carry her in that position nowdays. Last night and even this early morning wants that position after milk. Once start cradle and pat her to sleep, she will start crying.

fanny,

i suspect maybe that position is more comfortable for them, alots of times, he burped when we walk around carrying him like that.

happy,

yah, i admit that she likes that position. She can turn her head and see things. By the way, do u know when can they see clearer and recognise house/pple/voices?

fanny,

now they should be able to see quite well, i tried a few distance, my bb can still follow lor, recognising ppl,.. hmmm i think my boy can recognise me, sometimes he can cry and cry but once i carry he will stop, wonder really he recognise or it is my smell :)

happy

i think mine can recognise house. As my mum helps to take care during weekdays and i only bring back during weekends. She can start crying when we brought her out from my mum's place then into the car and finally to my place.

She will smile to my mum when she start wearing specs and thot that my mum is me as me and my hubby wear specs 2.

Hi all, with regards to the upright position, i remember during my bb 1st month check up, my PD saw that I am carrying him upright and she ask is it everytime baby carry upright stop crying? I said yes and she said its because his nose is blocked (which is true) and carrying upright helps him to breathe better. Dunno if its true though... hehe... Just my 2 cents worth.

My baby dunno why sometimes drink between 1-2 hrs interval. Really dunno what is wrong. Any mommies with babies still drinking 1-2 hrs time?

1) tweety- baby Luis - 6.01kg on FM anud BM
2) grace - baby Ash - 6.5kg on BM
3) rast- baby Jadon-5.6kg on FM (12wks 3days)
4) Jules - baby Natalie - 6.18 on FM
5) Kaye - baby Claire - 6kg on FM (3mth 1 week++)
6) Ueno - baby Leroy - 6kg on BM (3mth 1 week++)
7)Poissons - baby Garreth - 6.5kg on FM (2 mths 2 wks) Gosh! I think he is overweight!!
8) baby40 - baby Nicole : 5.1kg on BM (11weeks)
9) michviv - baby Ethan: 7.1kg on BM (11 weeks 4 days)
10) Plim - baby Bevis - 5.2kg on BM (11weeks)
11) Tinkabel - baby matthias - 6kg on BM (2 mths 2 weeks)
12) S@L - baby Mischa - 6.9kg on BM (2mth 3wks)
13) Yami - baby Kaelyn - 6.6kg on FM (3mths)
14) Superhappymum - baby YongWei - 6.9kg on BM & FM (3 months )
15) Beloved_daughter-baby Matthias - 6.5kg on FM & BM (3months 1wks)
16) Skyeskye - baby Eliza - 5.9kg on BM (9wks)
17) Catherine - baby Jovan - 6.7kg on BM (mostly) & FM (bedtime) (2mths 2wks 4days)
18) Cindy - baby travis - 6kg on FM and BM (13 weeks)

1) tweety- baby Luis - 6.01kg on FM anud BM
2) grace - baby Ash - 6.5kg on BM
3) rast- baby Jadon-5.6kg on FM (12wks 3days)
4) Jules - baby Natalie - 6.18 on FM
5) Kaye - baby Claire - 6kg on FM (3mth 1 week++)
6) Ueno - baby Leroy - 6kg on BM (3mth 1 week++)
7)Poissons - baby Garreth - 6.5kg on FM (2 mths 2 wks) Gosh! I think he is overweight!!
8) baby40 - baby Nicole : 5.1kg on BM (11weeks)
9) michviv - baby Ethan: 7.1kg on BM (11 weeks 4 days)
10) Plim - baby Bevis - 5.2kg on BM (11weeks)
11) Tinkabel - baby matthias - 6kg on BM (2 mths 2 weeks)
12) S@L - baby Mischa - 6.9kg on BM (2mth 3wks)
13) Yami - baby Kaelyn - 6.6kg on FM (3mths)
14) Superhappymum - baby YongWei - 6.9kg on BM & FM (3 months )
15) Beloved_daughter-baby Matthias - 6.5kg on FM & BM (3months 1wks)
16) Skyeskye - baby Eliza - 5.9kg on BM (9wks)
17) Catherine - baby Jovan - 6.7kg on BM (mostly) & FM (bedtime) (2mths 2wks 4days)
18) Cindy - baby travis - 6kg on FM and BM (13 weeks)
19) fanny - baby cayenne - 5.5kg on FM (10 wks)

mummies

my poor baby cried non-stop when i try to cradle her to sleep. she wants to be carried upright all the time. Last night sent her to kk hosp to find out why is she keep crying and dont want to slp even keep yawning.

She has to put on a special urine bag to check whether kanna the UTI. Nurse said had to insert the urine cathter if still cant collect the urine as her urine bags are contaminted.

Luckily doctor say is infant colic after doing all kind of tests.

Hi mummies,

Just took my baby out for lunch w some other mummy friends at Botanical Gardens. Pity the weather is terrible but otherwise, really nice to go out w other people after being on house arrest all week. :p

Anyone taken long haul flight w baby yet? Anything special to look out for? I'm hoping baby will handle the flight easily and not cry all throughout. That would be a nightmare....

RE : How much to pay mum for taking care of baby?
I'm thinking of going back to work, and getting my mum + my maid to help take care of baby. May I ask for those of you who are getting mums or MIL to help take care of baby, how much money do you pay them? My mum is currently working and getting paid about $1700 a month. I think she expecting us to pay her about that amount for her to take care of our baby. But it doenst make sense financially. I'm just wondering what amount to counter-offer her that would make sense.

twiggy,
my mum also quit her job to take care of my elder gal when she was born... as she does not earn that much also, so it was not tat difficult to convince her to take care of my gal by quitting her job... but of course i won't b able to give her the total amount she is getting for her job but i did discuss with her the amount that i'm comfortable with and she's ok with it...
why don't u discuss with ur mother and see what amt is she comfortable with? of course by taking care of ur baby she loses some financially but i think she will be able to reap the joy of being and taking care of her grandchild...

my gal started coughing and having a funning nose 2 days ago... now, she's having trouble getting to sleep at night and wld often be startled by her own coughing... i'm wondering if i should bring her to see the PD or not... i'm not too keen in giving her doses of medicines when she's still so young leh... good thing is she doens't hv fever *cross fingers*... shld i still bring her to see doc or not?

plim,
I think better to bring your gal to see the PD to know how's her condition. When my boy started to cough, I also refuse to let him take medicine but seeing him cough so hard (esp in the night) wrenched my heart, so I brought him to the PD and took the prescribed medicine. Dun worry abt the medicine, the PD will know what's best for your baby and they also don't recommend giving heavy doses of medicine as our babies are still young. My boy's cough and phelgm took about 10 days to clear cos' the medicine was very mild and my PD wants him to fight the virus himself.

plim, bring her to PD is safer. Don take chance. As much as u don want to feed medicine, you also don wish her to suffer. Meanwhile continue to bf her as it will help in her recovery. take care!
are u back from states

hi does anyone know when can baby sees colours? Is it after 3 months or 6 months? Intially they can only see black, red and white.

Back