(2007/09) September 2007 MTBs

Hi Everyone,

This is the 1st time I am visiting this website. I should have known about this 4.5 years earlier. I have been through most of the experience shared by most of you here. Stayed together with PIL after marriage..... nice relationship with MIL before giving birth to my girl....... relationship turned very sour after I gave birth as i did not agree to the way my MIL looked after her...... MIL is Hep A & B carrier and she was, and still is, very unhygienic...... telling me all the time that my milk supply would not be enough to feed my girl..... told me to get out of her room after i put my girl IN HER ROOM (and yes, my MIL's room instead of mine!)..... husband in difficult position (not long lasting though) when returned to home as 'girls' from all 3 generations (MIL, me and my girl) were crying...... decided to put my girl in infant care when she was 13 months old as i could not stand 1 more day seeing how much 'danger' she was proned to..... faced a lot of objections from PIL as they felt that i was not respecting their presence....... had so many quarrels with husband until i felt that i was really going mad..... husband got worried as i was always curling up in the corner of my walkin closet..... husband had no choice but to speak to his siblings about moving PIL out (and YES! my husband is not the eldest and neither is he the youngest but all other siblings were (and still are) very concerned about living their own lifes.... i visit my PILs once a week now as i find that this is the best way inorder to maintain relationship and also not to put my husband in a difficult position.
My girl is 4 and a half years old now and I never regretted sending her to an infant care and she is now with a childcare centre when we both go to work. The only thing you really need to watch out for is that the babies/kids will tend to fall sick quite regularly during the 1st few months when they are in the centre. They will usually grow out of it over the years as their immune system gets stronger.
All mummies, don't give up. It is depressing and frustrating but it is not worth giving up a good relationship with your husband since the decision is made when you are feeling the most down. Speak to him when the environment is ok and if need be, go speak to a marriage counsellor together. I did that and I never realised nor heard of the problems mentioned by my husband during those sessions. Really good to face everything together...

hey atinarin, u shld speak to your hubby not to be overly protectively, like that very 'siong' on both of you...ie. only parents can carry the baby or attend to her needs. Then again it will also affect baby's development, she will grow up less sociable and don't let other ppl carry other than closed family members.

For us, even in hospitals when visitors came to visit, they see baby sam so cute but don't dare to carry cos' too small, we encourage them to carry, learn how to carry...haaaahaa! Machiam baby is like 'model' for them to learn.
happy.gif

To all mums,

I have been to this forum a couple of times, either on my own or times when my wife showed me some of the threads.

I must say that it has been a tough 3 months for me and my wife. We really thank God for his grace He has given us, and the strength to go thru it all.

Also, I believe all of you mums have helped in one way or another by encouraging my wife and giving sound advice during those difficult months.

Our boy is now 3months old and is really adorable, and most of the times when he is not hungry or feeling uncomfortable, he is a very happy baby. And again, all thanks to this forum and support from all mums!
happy.gif

By the way, I'm all for the idea of getting hubbies to join the gathering. Definitely dads also have to share the responsibility of taking care of their babies, and I'm sure many hubbies will agree with me. The old thinking of "Nan zu wai, nu zu ne" no longer holds...

Once again, thanks!!

Proud Father.

Hi ladies may i know when u say bb sucking e finger is it tat they are not wearing e mitten. Cos my bb still wearing mitten n he will suck e mitten til very wet n smelly. My bb is 2.5 mth now.When should i take off e mitten cos all getting too tight for him lie..

i have the same qn as mui too....also, what about booties? have u all taken the booties and mittens off your bb? my bb is 10 weeks old today. whenever i take off the mittens and booties i find his fingers and toes very cold. is it normal?

hi ben mum,

it is normal. u touch the stomach, if it is warm then it is okie.

should take out booties & mittens as bb can explore their fingers and toes.

my bb is 12 weeks old.

hi hi mommies...

brought my gal to the pd for her 2nd jab and so surprised tat when the doc jab her she didnt even cry!! think she dun even noe tat she was being jabbed.. wahahha...
happy.gif

ben mom and mui,

it takes awhile for the little hands and feet to warm up.. so its okie.. i took my gal's mittens and booties/socks off when she's or 8 weeks old...
happy.gif
now she's 3.5 mths liao
happy.gif

Anyone gone for a flu vaccination?

HB down with bad flu so i quickly went to get vaccinated cos my immune system is like super stupidly weak.

Now wondering if i can breastfeed or not...hmmm...

Tinyvoice: i tell hb till im blue in the face...

I'm pretty protective too but mainly in terms of not letting sick relatives or friends visit and also that people wash their hands when they come over cos i think thats basic hygiene and im once bitten twice shy after an inconsiderate relative with chicken pox visited me when i was pregnant!

What they say is true, you cant choose you family...stuck with them. Thats why friends are the family you can choose. At least my friends will tell me when they are ill and cannot come over.

elaine: glad that your hb is willing to change.

HEaring about you MIL reminds me of how my granny, my mum's MIL, treated her when i was born.

My mum had to do all of the cooking, cleaning, laundry etc and look after me...no such thing as a confinement with good food and no touching water.

Disgusting MILs still exist.

Thks Pinky,

Will take it off n try. BTW any mummies let e bb sleep in sarong. Myy bb likes to sleep in e rocker n everytime i put him in e cot he can jus nap for bout 15minutes but rocker can sleep for 1 2 hrs. Now he is bout 6.5kg dun think e rocker can tahan anymore. How?? to use sarong or not?? very confused.

Mui and Ben mum, the mittens can be taken off after 1st month, as pd recommends. For booties, im still letting my gal wears it cos the feet tends to get cold easily.... After 4 months, i will take them off.

dArmAe and bena, I also have backache and shoulder ache. im doing the cradle style, and will tend to look down to see baby, hence causes neck and shoulder ache.

Pinkyj, brought my gal for her third jab this morning, and she oso didnt cry.... i think we have very 'thick skinned' babies....hahaha. Are you giving your baby the rotavirus oral vaccine? or is there any mommies giving this vaccine?

Mui: I took off her mittens after the 1st month...i put them on once in a while but no booties at home from the very start. After all when she is sleeping i swaddle her so i wouldnt wanna overheat her.

rxsti: i am giving bb the rota jab prob next week. Doc recommended giving 1st 6in1 tog with pnemococal as well as rota but we decided to space it out. Rota is fine cos its oral and no fever afterwards i think. Must be given b4 bb is 6mths so theres still time.

HI Mui,

My gal sleeps in the sarong in the day time now. She just nap for 30-60 min nowadays cos she tends to sleep at 12++ and wakes up at 8am (with a feed at 5+am).

At night, she needs the sarong to get her to fall asleep, then we transfer ger to her cot.

The disadvantage with the sarong is its very difficult to get her to sleep outside w/o it unless u put her in the sling.

Hi Mui,
My boy also sleeps in the sarong in the daytime, and in my bed at nite. The sarong is a great (or maybe not so great) invention as he can sleep till he forgets his feed. At 3 months, my son still sleeps alot. Probably 1-1.5 hours after every feed in the day, and from 9.30pm to 7am at nite with 2-3 latches within that time.

Btw, Mui, rocker can't take 6.5kg meh? My boy is around that weight and occasionally still on the rocker leh.

rxsti, I think we need to go for a FBM (full body massage)!
Apuppy, emailed you the details liao..

Sometimes hear/ read stories abt Mils and Fils, feel so angry for the mummies..

mui,

my girl was oso off the mittens abt 6 weeks old. PD suggested that so to allow her to explore with her fingers. initially she poked herself in the eyes and nose.. thus crying out loud. nw she's gd at it.. esp when she needed to suck her thumb and fist but very messy wif all the saliva over her face lor..

atinarin,

i wanted to take the flu jab initially after considering that dec is high season for influenza. but then aft speaking to my family doctor, i decd to give it a miss. reason being the flu vaccination only protec certain strains of flu... so not 100% coverage even after taking the jab. furthermore in view with the mutation of flu virus, we are constantly exposed to diff strains all the time. as for whether is it safe to BF after taking the jab, i'm unsure... hv not asked tat qns before.

rxsti,

maegan took pneumoccocal, rotavirus (oral) together with her 5 in 1 jab 2 weeks again. hubby and i dec'd to get her vaccinated becos we will be bringing her on holiday sometime in mar/april. juz to play safe lor...

bena,

yeah a full body massage sounds gd.. but me now started working, very diff to spare the time liao...

rxsti,
my gal started her first dose of rota on her first jab, and the 2nd dose today...
happy.gif

atinarin,
i'm catchin a cold.. nose very stuffy.. took feb(cold tablets) this aftnoon now feelin better liao...
happy.gif
i'm very particular abt pple kissin my gal or smellin her on her face.. i DUN LIKE TAT!! hahah.. i always tell them u can smell but dun go near her face..!

mui,
my gal oso sleeps in a rocker(combi brand) in the aftnoon.. and she can still sleep in the cot.. these few days she's like hibernatin.. sleepin alot.. can sleep up to 3 hours in btw feed.. then at nite will have her last feed at 8+ or 9 then sleep till the next morn abt 7 plus..

argh... my baby tends to tight-lip, when she latch on. it's e wrong way but un-latching nd latching on again stressed me and baby out! anyone w this problem??
also sarah starts to fuss when we put her to sleep these days. very concern; anyone going thru this too?

Hi Mummies,
Haven been posting recently.. so busy at work.

Elaine, so glad that your hubby is willing to change. hope things will change for the better. =p

With regards to the mittens, i remove them already 2 weeks ago after the hydrotherapy session. he always hold his fist tight during the session and thus i think it is time to remove.
But 1 thing nw is that he start to "eat his own fingers" =p sometimes try to put both hands into the mouth!!! after a session of "eating" will leave a red mark around his lips and it look like he apply lipstick =p so funny!!

ryann also sleep in sarong in the day and bed in the night. so far no prob but i still dun dare to bring him out without a carrier.. i think he is sensitive to the carrier which i got as a gift during his baby shower. got rashes around the legs where the netted part is.Ma fan hor..

thanks mummies for answering my queries...but my bb sleeps in air con room and he doesnt like to be swaddled. are ur mittens worn at night in air con room? or should i just forgo the air con and let him sleep without his mittens?

hi mummies!!

been a long time since I'd last log in..been so busy trying to settle down since we return back to s'pore. Baby is 11 wks plus now and she's exploring her fingers, or should i say the fist. sine I went beack to work, I'm really spending vv little time with baby, only about 1 hr per day..and I'm really just the 'cow'. Felt so depressed. MIL is looking after her and sometimes, MIL meant well to let me rest after I come back from work and insist on carrying baby, though I wanted so much to huddle baby as long as possible.

I'm applying No pay leave for a year, hoping company can approve and if so, can start next yr Jan 08. Intend to spend the time with baby and my mum who had transient stroke recently

any gatherings? saw some of you hvaing backache and neck/shoulder ache. Do be careful. I emntioned before taht I ahd those too with my 1st kid and in the end, suffered slip disc. It snapped one day when putting my 9 mths old girl into her stroller then. wrong posture etc..

ben mum,

my girl oso sleeps in the a/c rm with us. din wear mittens for her as well.. but its impt to note the a/c temp. usu we leave it at 24 deg. if rainy days then 25 or 26 deg C. hope it helps

Mummies,
i rem reading in this thread or some where on information on which malls have nursing rooms and facilities. Can some one send to me pls.. need it urgently ... cos i have to travel around the outlets to do year end audit. Sian...

Hi mummies,
I also took mittens off after my girl turned one month old as advised by my CL. Also because I was worried as my baby can't find her thumb! She clenches her fist with her thumb inside and when she tries to suck her thumb and can't find it she gets so frustrated and cries. Silly girl hor?

Baby sleeps in air-con room too..initially her hands were cold but after a while ok liao. They get used to it. But I still wear socks/booties for her at night or when I go out to air con places.

Re sarong, personally I think its impt to let baby get used to sleeping in their own bed/cot (if that's your intention in the long run). I always tell myself - today's convenience is tomorrow's inconvenience! When babies are young, they're more adaptable and will get used to it after a while. The first few days you may find your baby waking up and crying after 10 mins or so, but it will pass
happy.gif

Thks mummies for e info on mitten. Will try to take them off.

Pinkyj
My rocker is those cheap one la so now ve problem lor but never mind decide to let him sleep yao yao after all my house ceiling ve all latch e one tat can hold e string, spring n e sarong. Afterall my maid like to carry him n shake then next time when we go out she can shake e bb til he sleeps. haha..

Hi mummies

I am having pain my my waist (my yao). The last time someone mentioned a good muscle rub for the wrist (did i remember correctly?). Can let me know the name? Can it be used for other parts of the body?

thanks all mummies for their advice.

darmae, my aircon just got serviced. now i put 26 degree aso cold. =D will try to see if he can tahan without mittens tonight. =D

darmae: the jab protects against influenza which is the worse type to get so i thought better take. gonna make my mum take too cos when im back at work she will be the main caregiver to my gal.

pinkyj: i have trouble telling relatives not t o kiss etc, my relatives also one kind la i didnt want visitors in the 1st week after i gave birth then they werent understanding. still keep on coming this home is like their hotel lor come sit down have 3 meals then go.

my mum wont say nop to them so when im at work they may come and i dont know how they will trreat bb..

they cld come when havin chicken pox n i was preg n when i saw n got angry, they all said i was bein paranoid n over sensitive n what nots..with family like this who needs enemies?

really feel like i should have taken no pay leave but ui cant do tt 4ever..

really stressed...

atinarin,

certainly taking the jab will ward off certain srains of virus causing influenza. cfm beta than not taking lar.. furthemore it oso offers you more comfort and assurance as well..

wah i will be mad if my relatives like tat too. no social responsibilities..

The worst part is that when i suspected my aunt was having the pox and i asked, she denied!

Even worse is the other aunt who came along with her also DENIED and said it was an allergy!

I was so angry afterwards, asked my mum to ask again on the phone but yet again they denied. Truth was out inthe end but everyone in the family took the side of my aunt.

I dont bear any grudge but i am ever more careful now cos i feel that they can even lie about such things and later say that i am the one who is over sensitive.

I did tell the aunt the other time that its easy to say im sensitive but when i get hit by a flu, i take so long to recover and im the one who suffers...she actually asked me, 'Then when you were pregnant did you fall sick?"

Wah piangzzz

oh my.. hw could they??
our bb are still sooo young, immune system weak, extremely vulnerable lor. hw could they bear to do such a thing.. even with a simple flu bug, poor baby oredi suffer bad enuff... let alone chicken pox... haizz.

ya thats why...so im once bitten twice shy and did not want to take the risk of them visiting me at home cos i just dont trust them at all anymore...

the result?

They claim that i am overprotective and my reaction was wrong and they were not happy.

well what can i do? am i in the wrong? they did now care when i was pregnant wil they care now that baby is out?

i remember how protective they were with their own kids, i was 17 yrs old when her daughter was born but she did not dare to let me carry!

How unfair is this?! They can do no wrong?

Not to be mean but visiting my daughter to give her $10 is not something i am interested in...sitting in my house and getting 3 meals and being served like princesses is worth more thatn that already lor...

aiya just venting...fed up cos my mum just told me that an aunt told her shes very angry with me over things i have said to her over the few yrs..she fogot about the rubbish she told me days before my wedding and all...those were very hurting things condemning my whole marriage and even my hubby...

regarding FLIPPING:

my girl cant flip on her own yet but she can do the reverse flip as in she can turn back on her back if we put her on her tummy.

hi amy, yesterday i was just thinking haven't seen you around online for quite awhile and today you posted liao...hee hee!

Waaah so good, can apply for 1 yr no pay leave. Nothing is more important than kinship and if you think you're needed more at home than at work at this moment, move with your heartbeat!

Phoebe: Most malls have baby changing rooms, you can ask your colleagues in the different malls to checkout for you, am sure they be glad to assist. For those outlet that has spa, you can use the massage/spa room to express right...exclusive rooms..haahaa!

my relatives very difficult pple la see now i got bad name for being protective...what can i do after such a long labour i didnt want visitors yet is it too much to ask for...friends could understnad and gave me time why cant they

Hellooo good morning .. long time no see! Guess most mummies must have gone back to work already or soon right?
happy.gif

How's the going?

You all brought your babies for 3rd month jab and assessment already? Aiyoh nowadays the jabs are so complicating ... I brought mine to the PD clinic and in the end paid $1K+ just for jabs (package). Don't remember it being so expensive last time when my gal had leh ...

hi blue
happy.gif

I'm still on leave, going back to work in March
happy.gif
Took 3 months unpaid leave to be with my girl a little longer.

Bringing my baby to jab on Friday for the 5 in 1. Which jabs are included in the $1K+ package? Sounds abit ex lor.

hi mummies,

just wanted to share with you, i brought my girl for infant massage at Inspire Mum & Baby at Katong Mall last Friday. She really enjoyed it! They have Baby Yoga as well which we'll probably sign up for after the infant massage classes. Go check it out! =)

morning all, let my bb tried without mittens last night. guess what? he cried so sharply and woke up! i ran to him and realised he had clenched his fist on a clump of his hair!!!! I was so amused. scolded him and sayang him at the same time...lol...then tried to get him back to sleep. then he scratched him face and wailed again! sighs...had to put his mittens back on....failed attempt number 1. lol and sighs....=D

Ben mum,
Dun worry, babies are very smart...they'll learn not to hurt themselves! We can't put the mittens on forever! My girl scratched her face too..she tends to wanna rub her eyes when she's sleepy. After she scratch herself a few times she know pain liao then she uses the back of her hands to rub now
happy.gif

Hi Ben Mum,
I took off my gal's mittens and booties just before she turned 1 month. Initially she also likes to pull her own hair and rub her face very often...sometimes also pull her own ears. Now shes already 2 months plus and still likes to do that but now worse loh bcos she likes to suck and lick her own fists and fingers. But it is good to let them explore the world with their fingers so I just let her be but have to watch her as sometimes she will poke her own eyes also.

My gal got a cold over the weekend, suspect its due to being in the aircon when we place her in infantcare. We don't on the aircon at home and she doesn't like sleeping in aircon room also. Started coughing and have running nose so brought her to see doc but doc say bcos she is too young, theres not much medication he can give her. In the end gave one for phlegm and ventolin for opening her airways. So heartpain to hear her breathing heavily and cough in her sleep.

now trying to get him used to no mittens in the day. think will try no mittens at night at a later stage. =D

angel, i believe babies are smart too! seems to me sometimes he can even understand what i am saying. =D so happy that he is starting to respond to people around him. =D

hihi mummies!

been so busy since i resumed work
sad.gif
will catch up soon.. these days time is so preciously spent with baby. reach home, rush to see baby.. sometimes she doesnt wake up till 9pm.. 10pm.. and i will carry her to wake her up heheh.

shotbyfau: back to work so soon? im dreading going back to work in Jan.

Check with everyone, any of you brought bb on a short holiday/hotel stay?
What to bring along? I mean apart from milk, diapers etc?

How to sterilize bottles?

Hi mummies,
Fyi the baby float my hubby's colleague bought from Shanghai is similar to the hydrotherapy place - but its heart-shaped. So cute right!

1116085.jpg

Back