(2007/01) Jan

Thanks, Aqua, for the reassurance. Was at the Mead Johnson website this afternoon, but there was any statement from them.

BBMilk, now in my 39th going to 40th week. Last week, gynae gauged BB to be 3.2kg. Seeing her again tomorrow....

No probs Alethea! Deszi is on enfagrow too.
happy.gif
I also worried about this milk thingy.
sad.gif
Yesterday at Giant, I saw people checking labels of M&M etc.

thanks aqua now not so worried as my 2 kiddos on enfagrow and enfakid. this is super scary.

aletheat, by the time u deliver bb will be of very good weight. full term bb is easy to take care.

Hi mommies

anyone knows whether Oreo biscuits on e recall list? knew dat e oreo wafer sticks are...

very jialit, belle also took e baby bites but luckily very long never give liao..

wat abt gerber finger biscuit (those start types?)

told hubby last night, think all her biscuits ve to go organic to be on e safe side..

Me too, hope that the China unscrupulous ppl get what they deserve, think that death sentence is too light for them...
angry.gif
Me very unforgiving, right..but all those innocent babies

afternoon mummies
anyone knows how much playpens usually cost?
i'm thinking of getting one..
haha. u must be thinking that it's a bit late to buy one for kienan cause he's so big already.
but would like to get one so that he can play in it while i'm busy cooking, etc. safer this way.

any mummies have suggestions of where i can buy one and about how mmuch it would cost?

charmaine - if he is big, u not afraid he will top e playpen if he lean on 1 side? cos thinking with his weight may happen.

you may want to consider a play yard instead.

jen:
thx for the feedback.. that is a good point.. haha. didnt' think about that.
but my place so small. really no space for the play yard cause those haenim ones take up a lot of space leh.
how?

alethea,
CONGRATS! wow, 1 min tokking abt when u gonna pop, next min u popped!

aqu,
thx for the search n posting! liked the informative site fm karri clinic.

sherl:
yeps, i did think about it.. that's why thinking of getting a 2nd=hand playpen instead of a brand new one.. so that it's not so much money down the drain if he doesn't like being in it.
i would like to teach him to learn how to play on his own too, instead of always coming to me. think that there's some life-skill that can be inculcated when he learns how to amuse himself/play on his own for a short amt of time in a day... (maybe about 15 min at his age?)

that's why i'm trying to find out how much a first-hand brand new playpen usually costs, before buying one..
happy.gif

Char,

I think it depends. You can get a reasonably good "brandless" one for around 90+? Can go to Kiddy Palace to have a look. Mine is from Baby Craft (available at Kiddy Palace), think 98 or 99, but I find it quite stable, so ok.

I dunnoe if you are very particular about "gender-specific" toys, but how about a cooking/kitchen set? Or you dun even need to buy a set of toys, give him a spoon and a pot and see. Claire can be kept occupied for a long time just with any old stick and container... she loves to "cook".
happy.gif
I've heard a lot of boys like to play with kitchen sets too. I think it's perfectly fine for boys to play with kitchen sets. Just a suggestion la. heheh

Char - u can get those 'work shop' set instead of kitchen set if u particular abt it..

or u can buy a train set (ikea got sell, cheap cheap) or those block build bricks.. those can also keep him entertain..

or u can buy those color pencils (get those 'thick body' type - easy for them to hold @ popular) n a A3 drawing book... i got those for belle, also can entertain her

morning mummies!
happy.gif

jen:
thx so much for the suggestions.
happy.gif
really appreciate it. i've seen the metal play yard frame before.. and i think it's abit too "hard" for baby..
i clicked on the First few Years one, and i really like it! very good cause can disassemble and the sides are soft. but you're right lor. it's super exp!
sad.gif

think playpen may be better option for now.. just cross my fingers?

re. the isetan private sale, i'm not an isetan card holder. you know whether i can go tomorrow? is it open to public already on friday?

and the playpen that's selling at $99, got brand?

sherl / jen:
thx for the suggestion on toys. actually, i did think of getting him those cooking sets.. but my hubby thinks that it's a bit girly.. so we just do make-shift things. like, he'll turn his drum upside down,and i'll ask him to put all his magnetic alphabets into the drum, and i'll give him a ladle to stir and cook. and tell him it's alphabet soup!! haha..

actually, he has toys to keep him occupied.. but because he's not confined, he tends to come and look for me after just a few mins, asking me to play with him.

sherl:
thx for the info on the playpen.. i may go and check out kiddy palace..

Char - private sales only for today, tmr is open to public but not sure still selling at $99, brand i can't remember

by your discription, i dun think he can be confined to the play yard, let alone a playpen cos a playpen is very small compared to their current 'growing' size.

y dun u get him to play beside u 1st while u do your things then slowly moved away then come back to his side again. repeat this with longer away duration after a few days.. think he just needed some play time partner.

or u can 'rent' a playpen n see see, if he ok inside then u consider buying 1.

jen:
yah, i know.. oh well.. think i'll see how..
i've put him in my friend's playpen before and he seemed to quite enjoy it.
happy.gif

but then again, it could be because it was the first time he was in it.. he may not like it if he's in it everyday.

there are some disciplines i would like to teach him through playing by himself for a while each day.. will see how lah. thx!
happy.gif

maybe will try ur suggestion about playing with him, then slowly moving away. so far, whenever i do so, he'll come and take my hand and tell me, mummy, sit down. and it has to be next to him lor.. haha.

sherl,
any recommendations for the kitchen playset like you mentioned? tink i wanna get a set for enbi cos she was very interested in these toys when we went school-hunting yday.

btw, any mommies got yan jiu abt the diffces between the different CCC e.g. Learning Vision, Kinderland, Montessori, etc? if have, pls share share.

btw carysmum,
did i forget to mention tat the photos tat were taken by johnlim for ur ger, absolutely adorable! saw them on his site
happy.gif

sorry mummies,ntuc having better promo for nepia,pls ignore my previous post n ntuc hving quite a range of promo for diaper n milk powder,pls take a look

fae,

My friend bought Claire the fisherprice kitchen set for her birthday. Not the really solid plastic kind but the set selling at 89.90. I think Estelle has the same set and she's got a pic of it somewhere on her blog.

Actually hor *whisper whisper* I like the wooden kitchen sets at Mother Garden because they are really pretty!!!!! But very very exp. they sell the stove, oven, fridge etc. separately and each one costs close to or even more than $100. Cannot afford though I would dearly love to buy for Claire. LOL

zhuzhu,

NTUC having promo for Nepia again? Ahhhhhhh... must run down to grab! Just nice as Claire is running out of diapers again!

Alethea - Congrats again! Pls post pix of bb once u hv some time k?

Charmaine - I've seen some playpen going for $69.90 too. But I think the standard is really $99.90. I always feel playpens are good investm as it helps (esp the younger ones, like 5-6 mths old) them learn to stand and exercise their muscle. Keke! Nvm la, if Kienan doesnt like, u can stil keep for No.2?

But, jus a word of caution, cos Kimi is able to climb out of the playpen so can be rather dangerous for an active child. Recently, he is oso able to climb out of his cot. He can raise his legs (like those ballet dancers like that) and use his arms to push his body up and over the cot rails. Now, we are considering converting it to a bed cos the last week I had a shock when I came into my bedroom and he was sitting on my bed watching tv (dummy and cloth intact) when he should've been in the cot watching instead.

Some play ideas :-

1) Puzzles - start with 2pcs and then slowly add in 3 or 4pcs. Puzzles are great for hand-eye co-ordination as well as cognitive development. You can get very cheap and nice ones fr Kiddy Palace. Only $3.90 - $7 per box (dependent on type)!

2) Interactive books like flips,slides, music, etc

3) Play-doh (bgt or home-made)

4) Some kidney beans and 2 cups and ask K to trf it from 1 cup to another. First bean by bean and then pour from 1 cup to another.

5) Simple crafts or stickers. You can stick some double side tape in a pre-printed pix, eg a few small ballons and give him some cheerios, pasta shapes or whatever things u hv and ask him to stick on those areas so that it becomes colourful. Or a pc of paper and a page of stickers and let him free play!

6) If you are cooking, mayb can let him sit in his high chair while he watches on and you can give him a safety knife and pass him some cabbage leaves or whatever from your cooking and ask him to 'help' you cut them up.

7) Or you can give him a bottle and some straws and encourage him to fill it up.

8) Kids also enjoy doing chores so you can ask him to help you crack eggs and ask him to help you beat them while you are busy cooking. After that, you can let him play with the egg shell. Draw on it and u can both sign Humpty Dumpty tog? He'll have fun stacking and crushing the eggs to feel the texture!

9) Actually I think most of you will scream when I suggest the next.. but, I think it is ok and a good way to practise this skill... It is a safety scissors. It's really v safe and good for kids to practise cos such an action really not easy to master. Give him some coloured papers to cut and tear! Qutie a lot of fun for them.

10) Another thing which I like to let Kimi play is rubber bands. Give them a few and and toilet roll and encourage him to loop it over the roll.

11) You can oso get the fishing game set.. very fun n costs less than $10. It is battery operated and the fish will move round n round and you suppose to move the fishing rod near its mouth to 'catch' the fish. Fun and great for hand eye co-ordination!

12) I bgt this cheap train set for only $7 from the taka fair and kimi loves it! you can get it at Kiddy Palace.. saw it the last time and going for the same price. It is by Funzone.. cheap and good! til he gets used to tis, you can progress to more 'ex' ones. Keke!

Hope you have fun with Kienan! Start with 5mins independent play time and increase slowly. Have Fun!

hey sugar!
thx a lot for the suggestions! wow... they sound really good.
am looking forward to kienan being to have some independent playtime in time to come..
happy.gif

sherl,
hee.. thx for the info. i dun tink i'll be buying any mother earth toys as well. haha... so sad, yday went down to isetan too late n the mickey mouse cash register toy was sold out. i shld've expected tat since there were oni 80 pcs. :S

sugar,
great playtime ideas! will try them out as well.
happy.gif

sherl my friend working at bukit panjang ntuc tell me got a customer grab 20 over pkt of nepia today,is that you hehe if its not then mayb u dun go tat branch in case run out of stock

hahahaha... no la, not me.... I will probably just order from Nepia direct, coz my hubby say the price increase, not very worth running all the way down just to grab, might as well just pay a bit more and let them deliver, pain free for us.

sugar, those are great playtime ideas!

Just let Trisha played with rubber bands and she'a able to let me rest for 1/2 hour! That's great! hope she doesn't get bored too soon!

Back