(2005/04) Apr/May/June 2005 MTB

sw..

ya nowadays definitely tougher and expectation higher. I do not want my kids to overachieve or to get top. In fact, the only goal I have in mind is that they are sufficiently prepared so that they can at least cope and yet have enough time to pursue non academic interest eg. violin for Samuel.

If I do not slowly help him to catch up and be comfortable now, he will always be trying to catch up and that will undermine his confidence. I want him to be confident and cope sufficiently well to move to the next level. So that he can learn at his pace and not last minute hug buddha leg ;)

For some kids who are naturally smarter at study/reading or academic stuff, these can be done even later, but for Samuel, I think now I need to start to coach him liao else he is the one who will be in a mad rush and then be so overwhelmed that he thought he is no good.

yup same here, I just want to lay a basic foundation for my kid. So that when really reach primary school, she wont feel so stressed by her peers & the realistic primary sch environment. My goals is to make her be comfy of herself, be confident & be positive. I also dun want her to be over achievers or genius. I think alot of them are not happy people. They are too stressed & too concern abt how pple look at them. Look at Tiger Woods, tat's the best example liao. :p

I also feel that when a child is confident & loved & feel secure, the way she handles things & see things are very different. She sees things more positive & won't easily give up. But I always believe don't Over stress the kid, else everything will simply backfire.

hi tsp,
just ref the $$ to you, kindly check

To Account POSB Savings
130-57409-2 TSP - Su Pei
Amount S$195.00
Transaction Reference 2707680300

re: spelling
Denyce school doesn't have spelling not even in K2 cos' they focus on phonics so the teacher say do not want to confuse them. But no spelling really like not very good leh. By phonics to spell, quite hard i think. But so far, she's transfer to this school only last July and in less than 2 terms there, she can do blending for 3 letters. So this year, I am not sure what will be taught but also depends on her speed as its Montessori teaching. Maths they started addition last year and I can really vomit blood when i try to give her some to try at home. I feel her chinese is the strongest at the moment maybe due to I send her to Berries plus she seems to have interest in chinese. She yet to complain writing in chinese but she does enjoy writing and doing assessment and asking us to read for her but I am just too lazy to do it. Occasionaly i ask her to do assessment, she was very enthu in it. Everyday I reach home at 8+pm. Dinner, shower, surfing, Facebook and by then is bed time. I think I am quite bad lor. She likes to do assessment and reading but yet, I lazy to guide her.

Sigh.. why Singapore is all about grades grades and more grades..
sad.gif

My SIL all have Pri sch kids.. and they all agree that what u learn during sch hours is nothing as the exam will always be set based on things you are EXPECTED to learn outside of sch hours!! So my nephew said sch homework is a waste of time.

Yes, I agree giving the kids confidence and some foundation so that in school they can follow the pack and progress. My nephew's case is probably due to my SIL/BIL being over zealous and he find school boring coz he knows everthing.

It's a thin line to thread on. It's really hard to know if what you are doing now it's really the best for the kid... something only time can tell.. let's just pray for the best..

<font color="aa00aa">mummies:
it is true. our system is very stressful because kids are "expected" to already know some skills by the time they enter pri 1 and if those skills are not mastered by then, a lot of "problems" will surface.

i remember my days of teaching at a primary sch and a pri 2 kid was dozing off in class because she had to do her homework and tuition till mid night. and she was only in pri 2.
sad.gif
and the saddest part was, she couldn't catch up in class as well. </font>

krazy,
this is so sad on the student.
sad.gif

What i phobia most is this - ie teach &amp; teach but the kid cant digest in, wait fall behind all the peers..

Me &amp; hb both need to coach her cos she is not those automatic type &amp; can be lazy too. Yesterday she complaint my hb too strict on her strokes, so she asked me to teach her. I really feel v tired, eyes wana closed already but still need to coach on the strokes. I really fear Primary 1 come. Sighs.

I also dunno Phonics leh. I think some words are rather difficult to spell by Phonics. Example Gingerbread. Gin - is more like Jin. Cos "G" phonics is "ger ger ger", right? So i really like hopeless in this man.. Then when i ask her to try to figure out the 1st letter of this word, she also find it hard cos she'll think as "J". So sometimes I'm really confused ..

to be frank I really HATE the Singapore education system. making the entire kids &amp; parents to be so stressed. Issit the govt want to see more kids go commit suicide then they wanna do something abt it? SAD.

Hello!

Been awhile since I come here. sad to say... I managed to find time to surf net cos Hazel said "I dun want Mummy, I want Daddy." after I gave her a lecture for throwing tantrum.

I absolutely dread coaching homework and spelling. Particularly spelling. Zavier has English spelling every wed and for the first 2 weeks, I'll let him practice writing the words on Sunday and revise on Mon and tues nights. Then I found it too tedious or I got lazy, I only coach him on Mon and revise on Tues. Last 2 nights of teaching him how to spell mouth, nose, hair, ears and eyes already made my blood pressure shoot up and puke blood. I almost turned hysterical at some point cos I was so frustrated. When he could spell mouth, he forgot hair, when he rememebered hair, he forgot nose. really can faint. What I'm most worried of is that I stressed him too much and he starts to hate spelling.

twinklet,

me too, felt the kids these days are very stressed at a tender age. We used to be given more time to learn the basic but nowadays, everything is accelerated.

I also belong to the generation who had not been taught phonics. We learnt by whole words and slowly recognise the patterns. To me, phonics simply jump start the process of recognising the patterns in the words. For phonics, actually you still need memory work. First there are sight words that cannot be decoded phonetically. So those need memory. Then there are letters with the same sound, eg. G and J. Some letters have more than one sound eg. G, A, C. And then there are phonograms (Word family) eg. all, aw, etc.

In the example you had given, it is phonetically correct to spell "jin" but to spell the word gingerbread correctly, you need some memory of the word too. Take it as phonics will help to verify what was spelt.

Samuel's cc still do not have spelling both English and Chinese. But I do coach him and J in slowly decoding complex words by teaching word family.

Actually there are much more things than just phonics, still need to cover grammar, tenses (past tense, present continuous tense etc), synonyms, sentence construct. I hope I have the perserverance and time to cover those by the time he is in end of K2. And there is of course chinese and maths. Sigh I feel stressed too... nowadays I have no choice but to reduce his violin practise time or skip some days so that we can do academic work.

yes we belong to the generation where spelling means remembering alphabets by alphabets... not by their sounds... so phonics is totally new to me too... i can oni agar agar when i revise wif k... ahahahaha...

Sigh... sometimes i feel like quitting my job to be a SAHM so that i get more time to coach the kids... BUT... my patience is pte ltd so most likely i'll b screaming at them n getting my blood pressure at extremely unhealthy level... while they'll hate learning and ME... so rather than risking all these, my fren advice me to work hard n earn enuff $$ to do 'outsourcing' to enrichment classes... but end of day we still must revise wif them as its still our duty as parents... dilemma... sigh...

ya my phonics also agar agar 1.. At least Poohy make an affort to go learn, me lazy to go learn lar.. I learn from Zoophonics class last time lor. hahahahaha..

I was telling Hb to go learn together, maybe from net, cut the cost of ICR, then teach our kids. HAHA. Anw crappy lar.. think end of the day u see other kids go enrichment class, pressure is sure there 1, so most likely will also follow..

I slap my own mouth, now Ashley want me to coach her spelling liao.
sad.gif
So yday I also wanna puke blood when I teaching her chinese words. She kept saying she cannot write, &amp; I had to scold her abit, encourage her abit, then her pattern is like sobbing abit kind. I see liao, I really xin han. I try to keep myself cool, try to encourage her more rather than scold her. But sometimes it is just so difficult lor. Anw I try to change my tone, telling her ok this word not bad but u can write better. Finally her strokes are correct &amp; that word really write correctly. I gave her a big star &amp; she was so happy. My gal really need tons of encouragement &amp; lots stars &amp; ticks to be motivated. Sighs scolding will just backfire her motivation to learn. Dunno how in P1 man.. arrgh..

zyp,
understand tat feeling. pat pat. Used to get alot of such statements when Ashley was younger. Now she bigger already, such statments usually only happen when both me &amp; Hb scold her &amp; she wants "Nai Nai" which is unusual.

ya, me too, my patience these days is extremely pte ltd also. In an evening, I need to practise S violin, give S worksheets for Maths, Phonics, Chinese which I composed myself. Then in between also coach Joelle on the same things, and then keep chasing them to do faster so that I still have time to read for Joshua. I am feeling quite anxious most of the time as I had no time for Josh.

You can hear me shouting and screaming every other nights. sigh I told my hb I wont be surprised if I get a stroke one of these days. This also happen in the mornings cos I coach them on my own daily reading programme every morning. Can also hear me screaming away at them if they dun read. I want them to read out loud to stimulate auditory pathway. Its a different anxiety though cos I want them to quickly finish their reading so that I can start reading story books for them.

Really I think I am too impatient. Wish I can quit my job to be SAHM too.. I felt I am confident to train them up academically very well but provided I dun have to do housework lah.. haha dreaming.

For enrichment, I brought them to ICR and CMA for assessment but hesitated to commit as I worried about the homework. I feel more assured when they do my homework hehee.. cos at least from there I know where they stand.

re: work from school

I was really upset this morning. the kids' cc is near my office so means they need to wake up early, endure traffic jam everyday to reach school. End up they are always late by about 20-30 minutes depending on traffic condition. Which also means Joelle will miss her 1st class in the morning which is either maths or chinese. (Samuel missed almost the whole year of 1st class last year and that's why I am working hard to teach him more myself now).

This morning, she was late by 20min. When I bring her into the classroom, I hear her teacher (while coaching another student) said "You have to do this as homework as I am almost finishing the class".

I felt very upset with her remark. First off, its not even end of the class. And they never bring the outstanding "homework" back till weekend which they returned the entire folder and I will have to check myself. Also they had never left any remark to let me know what was covered that day or whether the teacher had at least taught her the concept. After paying the school such hefty school fee, I really expect them to be a bit more proactive. Yup we are wrong to be late but at least the teacher must care abt her student and let us know what to cover ourselves at home instead of passing such remarks. I mean I expect formal communication by telling me or through comm booklet, not to just tell my girl randomly. As if she will tell me (If I din hear it myself). Lucky J is considerably advanced since I teach her while I teach Samuel (kill 2 birds with 1 stone) so she wont have problem coping.

sweatcorn,

my thoughts too.. since I cant quit my job, I will try to send them to the best class I can find provided time permits.

alot of pple had been telling me phonics are very important. Impt in a way that they can read by themselves which I think this really help. For spelling, i really doubt so plus not everyone can pronouce accurately. Few of my frens/colics told me, if they are not well prepared in this, they will suffer more in P1 cos' its their past experience. Their kid can't read when they go to P1 so those tests/exam, really did badly. It is not that the kids are stupid, they are all quite well verse but come to regconising and reading out the words, they still couldn't make it. So if can't read, how to understand the papers and do it? So end up 1 of my coll told me abt her gal, can pass she already 'tao chiu' liao. haha.

poohy,
you are already doing alot for your kids. I am sure they will be able to do it. I must pray hard that my gal got to be smart and absorb ALOT in school cos' got a lazy mummy. haha.

i wanna share something with u all today.
Yesterday I went to rebond my fringe. Got this daughter &amp; mummy doing their hair too.

This daughter is aro 7 - 8 yrs, wearing uniform then. The Mother was telling the hairdresser that her daughter always morning bathe already, wet hair then straight away tie the hair which is not good at all. She asked the hairdressed to say say her. So the hairdresser told the lil gal that if wet hair tie, the hair will not be healthy, will grow gu dus, smelly, wait her friends will comment her hair smelly blah blah.
Scully the gal cried &amp; then stared very fiercely at the Hairdresser. The Mother finished cutting hair, wanna go already, the gal simply refused to move at all. The mother went off, thinking the gal will follow, but never. The Mother came back again, this time really v fierce. But the gal just refused to move. My hairdresser went to persuade &amp; luckily the gal moved liao. It was like more than 20 mins tat kind. The gal stood at the entrance, the Mother wanted the gal to apologize for making such a scene but the gal refused. The Hairdresser that said her apologized to her but the gal's stare was v v fierce.

I was thinking "OMG, this gal is only p1 or p2 &amp; yet her behavior can be so extreme." It is just a normal comment, &amp; not a very very serious issue &amp; yet the gal took it so seriously. I wonder what if next time real serious thing happen how? The Mother cannot control the gal at all &amp; comment that this gal bully her 2 lil sistes at all. I really wonder how the Mother gog to disclipine her next time. This is a very small issue but it reflects how the Mother usually disclipine her &amp; her own self character.

I find alot of times we just want our kids to be smart, to have good grades, but we tend to forget how to upbring our kids to be a better person with good characters &amp; values.

<font color="0077aa">Hi Mummies,

My company is getting corporate rates for this event but they need another 20 tixs to meet the MOQ to qualify. I am interested to bring Xavier and Iden for the show. Any mummies interested? Kindly pm/email me at [email protected] by tomorrow 12pm.

3630353.jpg

Jurong Bird Park are pleased to invite you all to the Yona Yona Penguin Movie this February 2010.
Enjoy a unique outdoor movie experience at the Jurong Bird Park and be the first in Singapore to catch this captivating fantasy movie that presents never-before-seen visual imageries in Japanese animations.

Date : 27 February 2010 (Saturday)
Venue : Pools Amphitheatre,
Jurong Bird Park (Free-seating)
Time : 7.45pm (88 mins)
Movie is in Japanese with English subtitles.

About the movie:
Fly into a magical world of adventure with Coco, a small girl with a penguin coat, who sets on a journey to save her friends from the Emperor of the Dark. Join her and her friends in this heart-warming tale where they discover friendship and courage for the first time in their lives.

Directed by Rintaro, of Metropolis fame, and with a production investment of 1.5 billion yen, Yona Yona Penguin sets to be a great movie experience and opportunity for your staff and their loved ones to relax and bond during this festive season.

Enjoy a special corporate booking price of $6.00 per ticket.

Ticket Movie only (Adult/Child) S$6.00
Ticket Movie only + Park Admission (Child, 3-12 yrs old) S$15.00
Ticket Movie only + Park Admission (Adult) S$20.00
**Free admission to Jurong Bird Park only from 6.30pm onwards.**

</font>

twinklets,
recently one of my ex-colic told me that she sent her only son to xx sch (avg neighbourhood sch) instead of some elite sch... this got me curious loh, y choose this sch instead of better ones lah... i'm very sure she can send her son to a good sch... she told me she actually prefer another yy sch which was of lower standard/ranking than xx sch... this makes me even more curious!!! she said she was very impressed by the students in yy sch as she n hubby were greeted by the students who saw them along the corridor... and best of all, her visit was unplanned/unannounced...

my ex colic story sets me thinking loh, wat kind of sch i wan my kids to go to, one that produces 4A* brats or an avg scorer with proper moral values??? I guess the ans is pretty obvious loh but its hard to find such sch unless we do sch visit... faint...

We tried to be parents volenteer in Nan chiau Primary and my application was "REJECTED"!
sad.gif
so i think i would also be putting my son in my average neighbourhood school le.
sad.gif

sweatcorn,

I dun mind putting in any neighbourhood school if I am assured that the school can produce outgoing kids who have strong values. However, you are right, we cannot be sure at all. In fact all these primary schools are blackboxes to me... how we get to visit the school unless we apply PV and get to go there for interview.

And a few polite students does not equate to school being able to produce such students no matter what's the cohort like and teacher turnover. Similarly so called schools concentrating on grades may not have to produce brats too.

Actually it really depends on the culture of the school, the individual teachers' attitude. I guess maybe most parents want to go for "better" school because grades are more concrete to gauge whereas those values are a little more intangible and hard to gauge.

SC..
fyi.. that mother is a Doctor.. so sometimes hor i think high calibre pple the kids can seem to be more worst character than normal pple like us. kkekkeeke :p

Wow.. tat YY sch is so impressive.. i havent go pay visit to my old school yet.. i v lazy lar.. i'll just go report her to my old sch can liao.. save my trouble..

Welcome Florence
happy.gif

Wow everyone talking about school ah? I find S school not doing good enough wor. I'm currently only sending her to Tien Xia Chinese class. Her PCF dun have spelling and not to say even maths. Am pretty disappointed wor cos why they can give tuition class for maths yet dun teach in school? Meaning to say school dun teach and wan us to pay inorder the kids to learn?

Gladly S can read on her own and spell some words by guess if i were to test on her. I hope her english can still be this good later

Wow... some tods can read already?
I don't consider Lisa can read.. she can recognise some words, yes..but not reading!!
And there's no spelling in school (cos Montessori). But she loves to "read" - meaning flip the book.
happy.gif

I'm going really slow with her, cos I would like to sustain her interest in books. I hope that with such interest, she will be motivated to read by herself - eventually. As for maths - maybe it's time I give her worksheets. I've never given her any worksheets. Mummy just too relax. Chinese - I don't know how is she coping.. Sigh.. I need to be more proactive I think. But really don't know where to find the time!! We even have problem finding time for Lisa to practice piano.

Poohy, I think you are doing a lot already!
happy.gif
How did you manage to find so much time? Don't be too anxious, I think you can afford to go a little slower with them, pack less subject daily maybe? then you and your children will have more time to enjoy the process?

meow,
maybe they will start later? some school not so advance. i think i used to ask alot of kindy, they told me is K2 then start spelling but i am surprise to find so many of the kids here already started in K1.

blurmom,
is it all montessori school dun incorporate spelling? for my gal's school which is oso monte base, teacher say no spelling not even in K2. But their focus on phonics is stronger then normal church school where they usually teach using letterland.

hmm, time to pack and go home. Everyday almost this hour leave, reach home already dead beat, still where to find much time coaching.

poohy,
of cos there's no absolute to everything... good sch may not produce all brats while neighbourhood sch may not produce angels... its juz how the kids turn out to be when they interact wif the teachers/classmates/environment and etc... we, parents, hv our own part to play to guide them too... sigh...

twinklets,
good leh, u decided liao... even until now, hubby n i can't agree to which sch we intend to send both kids to... headache...

<font color="0077aa">Hi San,

High five. I am like you. I don't really coach Xavier on academic cos he is not home yet (at his MIL's place) when I reach home at 7pm and I will be busy with Iden or some household things. By 9-10pm, he comes back, we will let him play with didi a while and his daddy will do some CMA exercises when didi goes to sleep.

I haven't heard of any spelling from his K1 class yet but I know he enjoys writing Chinese now.</font>

<font color="aa00aa">mummies:
re: avg schs vs gd schs

i am with a new school this year and i am very impressed with what i see actually. it is NOT a branded sch so to speak in terms of academic results but i think the values are in the right place. for one, i see a lot of compassion amongst not just the staff but also the students.

let me give you an example:
the sch cleaners do not empty the bins in the classrooms, the students have to do it themselves because the principal told the students that the cleaners are old enough to be your grandmothers and it is NOT right to have your grandmothers pick up your rubbish.

the school emphasizes on responsible thinking and get the students to reflect on the mistakes they have done when they are ever sent out of classes. and only after their reflection, do they go back to class to apologise to the teacher and ask for permission to be let back in.

this method has worked so well, some students ask for permission to go to this room to do their reflection even before the teachers send them out.
of course there are still some hard core ones but not too many.. phew.

but having said so, the sch i am in , ISN'T THE sec school that students will choose after their PSLE... so what does this say about parents or students?

still pp prefer to go to a branded sch.

a sch that focuses on values cant be that bad...</font>

blurmom,

I dun do all the things daily too. The only things I do daily (at least most weekdays) is to get the 2 kids to read on the car 1 or 2 pages from Peter&amp;Jane series. On a weekly basis, I introduce a new phonogram, phonics digraph, long vowel etc... eg. this week I taught them about words that have the sound "TER" inside or "ER". "er" is a phonogram that appears in a lot of words, so I thought its good to aid in their reading. For chinese, not very consistent though, I try to get them to read the I-read-I-learn readers. But I think they read from memory instead of recognition.

The evening worksheets are not as consistent cos I try not to push them to do daily. Normally I will ask them if they want and do it only if they agreed.

Maybe because I am not an optimist, so tends to be a little anxious, and felt the need to aid them before it becomes too late. If I only have S, I think I will be more relaxed. But with 3 kids so closed in age and diversified in needs, I know I wont have time to spend, so thought start earlier but slower.

Their cc is also a bit laid back type.

krazy,

off my head and as a parent who do not have any insights into today's primary or secondary school, my view is that I would never know of such a school if you did not share today.

Look around website and newspaper, there is no listing on which school is strong in moral values, inculcating responsibility etc. But all over the newspaper are edification of students who scored the most numbers of As and which school they are from, or top 10 primary school which consistently produced the most top students, or the top 10 most value added school.

The average parents already do not know enough about the tangibles eg. famous school and their teaching method, how many parents who enrolled know? For the intangibles like what you mentioned, I think its seldom being made known. Then how do parents or students made their choices? As a normal human, then we have to make assumptions and count on the tangible.

I would love to put my kids in a school which instill strong values too.

<font color="aa00aa">poohy:
yes that is very true indeed. academic results are measurable and hence always used as a yardstick. but it is the intangibles like you so rightfully brought up... that makes a person.

a brilliantly bright person who doesnt have the right morals in place is probably the worst kind of enemies around.

really sad.. even though my sch has been consistently performing "well" as in has been "value-adding" (moe term: "value added sch") for the past 10 yrs, still the school has been "instructed" by MOE to "pull up your socks and bring in your grades".

even the big boss doesnt believe in the intangibles.. i really cant blame the parents, can i?</font>

krazy,

we are in a meritocracy. And merit is measured by what we termed as the tangibles. Even the big bosses in the ministry has a rice bowl to protect and a KPI to meet. And most likely those KPI consists of tangibles, specific, measurable, attainable, realistic and timely (SMART)
happy.gif

<font color="ff6000">Ladies</font>

I'll pop by once the academic talks are over!!! We agreed on after CNY gathering right?!

The academic talks are scaring me!!! Stress....

hi angeline....
u appear!!!! haha.....

gerald in montessori , remember he is in mmi.... but he got spell both chinese and english (starting at term 2, now he is still in term 1....) haha but his teacher say is okie... if he can spell go home practise.....

HAPPY CHINESE NEW YEAR... just in case i din log in...
3632306.gif

<font color="aa00aa">mummies :
may not be able to log in morrow... so here is wishing all a happy lunar new year!
gong xi fa cai!
happy.gif

</font>

poshies, the photos are really sweet!

poohy, understand. I wish to do more too. But forever at the wishing state la, i.e. no action :p

Mummies:
Wishing all a HAPPY LUNAR NEW YEAR!!
Wish all mummies remain young and pretty, wish all tods grow well and guai guai listen to us parents :D

<font color="0077aa">Hi Poshies,

Did Gynnis cry a bit during the shoot? I thought her nose looks a bit red in the red photo. How come no mummy and daddy in the photos?</font>

<font color="ff0000">GONG XI FA CAI to everyone and HAPPY NEW YEAR!</font>

hi dewdrop,
wow u so notice it har... haha... because the brother took the fake snake and scare her lor.... haiz....

hi poohy,
haha it was took at kidscoverlook... haha guess what i signed up the package when gerald was 2... then took 2 outfit suppose to bring him back for the 3rd outfit then i totally forgotten until last year.... when i call they had move... luckily they still have website and still willing to acknowleged my receipt and ask me to bring mei mei together for the photoshoot.... so i paid for 1 package... gerald took twice... but the 1st time one... only softcopy... din develop into album.... hahha

so did you check out the art sch? i remember the last time i picked up the bumper mat from you... you were at jurong west ... are you still living there?</font>

krazy,

yup still in JW. Oh I had not checked out the art school yet but will do soon. C really can draw very well!

btw, C is not in Josiah in millenia walk right? I am shortlisting a preschool for Joshua now, so I am thinking of exploring Josiah after reading in your blog about the school which seemed to have a strog academic focus.

i see.. the art sch however, is in the east.. but if you dont mind the traveling, then do give them a call.
happy.gif

nope. c is at the other only outlet at simei.. cuz thats where we live. its not a childcare .. only a sch. the one at millenia, is a childcare and i remembered the fees at millenia is like approximately 1.7k per month. not inclusive of subsidy. ring them up and find out cuz i am not sure if things have changed.

if your work is at the marina area, can definitely consider the school.

yeah.. i think there is a good mix of both academic and montessori teaching... cuz c loves the "shelf work" and "learning corners". </font>

Back