(2001) calling all 2001 babies

Yes, i have the same concern. My boy got slashed by another boy with a scissor. The form teacher called me to bring him to a doctor and then after that, he never call. Even i asked my boy to pass a message to him to call, he also never call.
After a few days, my boy came to me, that he and that boy became friends again. Reason being, they are in the same team for the Art competition.

OMG. Slashed by scissor. That is very bad.
sigh...no choice, some teachers/sch are like that. Well, guess we just have to "tahan" cos our kids are their and we don want the teachers to make life difficult or mark them. Unless something very very serious happen, then I will sound out to them.

Strange, I am so relieved that ds's exams just over today, even when I'm not the kind who will specially prepare exams with kid type. Good that ds is the generally-consistent type. I think I'm more tensed- having to make sure that he doesn't fall ill, remind him to be careful, make sure pencils are sharpened, go to school with a full stomache, remember to give him pocket money for recess...

I wonder is it just me suffering from exam anxiety (kid's) or other mummies feel the same?

My daughter's last paper is today too, but she is in the afternoon session, so after today will be freedom! :p

Anyway, all along i thought my daughter is very bo chap. But during the past 3-4 days, she was complaining she has tummy ache, and had diarrhea and her heartbeat is very fast and she stop breathing for a few secs ...faint

She kept telling me she is afraid she will get an egg home....haha

initially, i see her bo chap attitude, i did try to scare her abit by saying u have to concentrate better and score well and do your assessments, etc. Ans she is very messy in her hand writing! seems like it turns out bad now since she is having such anxiety :p

i believe she can do pretty well as she has been rather consistent so far. Just regret tat i scare her earlier and afraid she may not do well in her SA. Some kids perform differently during exam and regular work....

I am expecting disappointing results after hearing my boy's English paper 2 score, 80+% only. More disappointing to know that his Maths also scored weak 80s. Chinese was the only easy one maybe can get 90s.

Thks for sharing.

i thought above 80% is consider not too bad? Though some of my friends told me P1 try to score 90 and above then consider ok :p

My girl got 88/100 for Maths, I am abit disappointed as she made quite a few careless mistakes
sad.gif
And she told me she got the highest which I was surprise. I think either the class standard is low or she only compare her results with among her few gd friends :p e

For English also not v gd, she got 49.5/60, but luckily her listening got full marks.

For P1, i believed this SA1 will be their very first exam. They are doing so fine, if they are getting 3 subjects above 80marks. And for the rest of the journey to SA2, keep working on those weaker area. I can understand what you meant by getting above 90 then considered ok. Before as she progress, each year is getting tougher. So people will say, when she is in P1, she must get 90 and above, so when she goes to P2, it will definitely drops a little. I dont think so. Your girl may get 80plus in P1 but she may not be getting 70plus in P2 but likely to get 90plus in P2 if she is really hardworking and of course with your good guidance.

I have a reason to hope for 90+ . I hope my boy can get into P2 top class. There are 7 classes, 210 students, on average one has to be top 5 of each class to stand a chance. I cannot imagine how 80+ can be top 5 in his class. I came from a poor neighborhood school myself, during my time only some of those in the top class P6 class score 250+ during PSLE. Although my time was 20+ years ago but I notice that the PSLE scores hasn't change so much. My year, the top PSLE student scored 272 points. Nowadays, the students are much more prepared, get lots of tuition/home teaching but the syllabus standard has also gone alot higher. I hope that I am wrong to use SA1 as a estimate to my son's ability to perform under exam stress (careless, time constraint, exam skills, revision absorption....) Now that the truth is out, I know that I have tough time ahead - 5 1/2 years more to go!

I used to be an exam smart girl, my daily work was only mediocre. That would be a better option, if all of us have a choice.

hi mommies,

Would like to get some feedback fm the mommies who have their kids enrolled in either Catholic High or Holy Innocents Primary.

so far, besides Catholic High being a 'branded' school, the feedback I have obtained is actually quite challenging.

Appreciate any advice / feedback, esp fm parents with kids enrolled in the school.

Thanks.

In my ds' school, the avg marks for all subjects the about 80+, and the highest score is 100 or 99 marks. So, by not scoring 80+ & above will put the child to below avg.

glad my girl's score for all subjects are band 1, but my aunt told me her son also scores band 1 for P1 and P2, now he is in P6, all failed
sad.gif

Hi there, mothers of P1 children,

Anyone doing DIY ie. without tuition and enrichment classes. For me I spend about 1 hour each evening going thro. 2 subjects.(English + Maths) (Maths + Chinese) or (English + Chinese). My boy does not have any homework from school, only English and Chinese spelling. Anyone care to share your DIY experience?

Lim
I also spend 2hrs going thru all his subjects.. He do attend tutition class but i found that is useless cos the teacher there's always provide answer instead they do by themselves.

So idecided to teach my own by spending 2hrs everydays before he goes to sch.

Fion,

My boy is in single morning session. I would be able to do better if I don't work full time. My one hour is from 8.30 to 9.30 pm. His attention span is only about 1 hour, he can't wait to start rest and relax. Some schools nowadays do not set homework but still have very high exam standard. Their method now is TEACH LESS LEARN MORE. So how to make our children learn more???Chinese is a major challenge. The way Chinese is taught in school and the emphasis English in all other aspects of life do not help.

Lim
oops i c.. my boy everyday hv homework included spelling for both subjects maths/chinese. My boy also same whenever i starts to teach him, he always ask me "after this can I rest 15mins..
sad.gif

Are u affordable if u dont work? As based on wat u mentioned 1 hr to coach ur son is really not enf to revise with them. Did u ever consider sending ur boy to tutition class? Hope that's will helps much in certain area.

Good question, can I afford to stay at home? I should be, but like many middle income earners, we are squeezed in the middle, not poor but too much expectations. And, afterall my boy is doing ok, both my husband and myself had our mothers working full time. On why I forgo tuition, I started giving tuition to children after O levels, thro JC, U and part-time during work after graduate - good money.
Observing the tuition students thro the years, the common lacking factor is self motivation. I am still trying to work on this factor with my son, sad to say it is very difficult.

Hi Evonne
I didn't get a private tutor for my son but i sent him to those tuition centre instead. Did u ever consider send him to tuition ctr instead getting a private tutor?

Hi all the mummies
Recently feeling stressed and tired.. becos my son P1 CA2 is coming soon next mth, yesterday received the exam dates. Can anyone's shares with me your experience how to cope & coach with our children when exam around the corner... Thanks
sad.gif

Stress, stress, I thought having to due with SA1 was bad, you have CA2 that's worse. I have just started erasing markings on those old SA2 papers borrowed from my son's seniors. Very kiasu, thought of starting to practice the papers earlier this time. I realized from experience of SA1, my boy cannot do last minute hugging Buddha's leg. Another thing I do is to make study notes with him at earlier stage of revision and last minute just revise those notes. I did that for myself when I got to Secondary school, now do for pri 1, very funny.

Luckily my girl's school do not have CA, only SA. Ideally I try to spend 1-2 hrs every day to coach her, maybe except Fri. But so far I was either lazy or come home late. So we only do this once or twice a week :p 1 hr can be abit short as my girl also have homework almost every day. Slowly now she will automatic go in and do her homework after dinner, but after a short while, she will come out to watch the tv as my mum is watching. Sometimes she will be engross and we have to keep asking her to go back and study.

Most of the time I only go thru her homework instead of revision. I only did revision 1 month before her SA1 :p

She only attends chinese enrichment on Sunday.

I have another 2 yrs old girl at home, so sometimes abit tough to make sure the little one dont disturb.

That's why I don't dare to have a second one. Cannot imagine how to cope. My son's school got no homework so if I don't sit down at night to provide the next afternoon's "homework". My son will be a happy spirit :p ..the next day, jumping around playing and doing nothing in the afternoon with my father.

Hi Eve
U r luckily ur gal do not hv CA and envy u cos ur gal automatic go to do her homewk and u only revision with her once a mth. My son is diff, i've to ask him whether he has any homework and everyday i've to spend 1-2 hrs to coach him b4 he go to sch. Agreed with u, 1-2 hrs is really too short & hv to revise so many subject.. My son sch 1yr hv 4 term of exam which is CA1/2, SA1/2.. sometime i quite pity him, other sch only hv SA no CA.. Sigh.. dunno is good to him or bad?? I also hv a 2.5yo son, i also find it's diff for me to teach my #1 cos the little one keep disturbing his kor kor
sad.gif
Curious to ask u, how u cope with it esp housework when ur little one at home??

Biyan
Normally our children having exam, mostly we are more stress... no choice. Everywhere hv to produce certificate when u work, when our children grow up they will appreciate wat we do for them is for their own good.. =P

Hi Lim,
Sorry to interrupt, need your advise. Can I check with u, any regrets for sending ur son to Lian Hua? Cos am targeting there as is near to my place too. But maybe school bus needed for him to be at my mum's place in CCK.

Hi Fion

Acually my daughter sometimes auto do homework, but not everytime la. But i am also too lazy to go thru with her everyday. I am a FTWM, so very tired after work and no time for myself at all. Can't imagine if i have to do housework still. So sometimes i just close 1 eye.

My maid helps with the housework and accompanies the little one in another room to play while i guide the bigger child. Sometimes the little one may want to be in the room, so just let hang out awhile but the big one will be distracted.

Dear Worry Mum,
I have no regret, to me, distance is the priority for primary school. Lianhua is a neat neighborhood school. The school management tries hard, teachers are reasonability responsive. So far, the only lacking is the homework for my P1 boy. Maybe the lower primary students in this school do not get push too hard.

Do hope to see you in Lianhua, I am in Lianhua's Parent Support Group. They truly welcome any parent who is willing to join. Parent volunteers are not there because they need to clock 40 hours or so. By the way, have you checked their website? Tomorrow is the big day, remember to bring all original documents for registration.

Eve
oh i c.. can understand how tired u are but luckly u hv a maid to help u out for ur housework.. For me, i'm super stress liao... my son having CA2 Aug mid mth. Dont know how to coach him
sad.gif
anyway i just revise with him whatever he had learned before..

Hello, can I check if anyone has been recommended by Hokkien Huay Kuan for phase 2B registration? I just knew that being their members is not enough, still need to apply for phase 2B thru them and it is subjected to their recommendation...
Is it easy to get recommended? Pl help. thanks!

HI Fion

Dont be so stress, i was also rather stress during her SA1. Then i kept telling her i am more stress than her. During her SA, she told me her heartbeat very fast, stomache, etc. Suddenly i realised she is also stressed, but probably only when she reached sch! haha...so now i try not to push too hard, she is only P1.

I thk sometimes we have to take it easy abit la. For me, i also go thru assessment book and let her do past yr papers. go thru textbook i find i dunno how to teach :p

you can check out his website for free exam papers.

www.misskoh.com

Why dont you get a part time helper to clean the house, can go crazy if everything u have to do.

Eve
Thank you so much, i'll check it out. Housework-I've been used to it since i became a full-time hsewife..
sad.gif
sometimes i do feel tired but still hv to do it.. Nows a day i've to control myself not to stress too much if not my son will also feel the stress from me, as u said they are only P1.

Hi
Just spotted this thread & decide to join in
happy.gif

My son is currently in P1.

Herbal, at first I wanted to go the Hokkien Huay Kuan way but decided not to when I found out it's subject to their recommendation. It seems one has to be active in their activities to get recommended
sad.gif
. So my hubby & I decide to do PV instead, at least, we come in direct contact with the school teachers & staff.

It is great to share experience with so many parents of 7 yr olds. So much for studies, what about play and household chores? I have just allocated 2 simple household tasks to my boy ie. wipe dining table after dinner and make bed. What other chores are your child doing? As for play, my boy still likes action figurines like Ben 10, he will ask to buy every now and then. As for computer games, I restrict him to only weekends.

Lim, it's great you manage to get your boy to do household tasks. He must be an obedient boy
happy.gif
. Last night, I only asked my boy to bring his rice bowl and the meat & veg dishes to the sink for me to wash and I had to shout at him 3 times & chase after him to do it. He said that is my job!!
sad.gif

mummyto2
My boy exam timetable just out and i've to plan for his revision as well as practical questions..
sad.gif

Me too i dun like that as well.. my boy poor in comprehension so i always asked him to read more story books.. another is chinese composition i think is a bit too diff for him as he used to speak english at home so quite diff for him to recognise the word.. Now i always revised with him all the subjects that he not sure during the class... hope that's can helps him much. Now his syllabus slowly hv composition for both chinese and english dunno how he cope with it but i'll try my very best to guide him
happy.gif

lim
My household chores usually i will wait till my #1 goes to sch then i can concentrate do it. I never give him any task for my household cos to me is a double job cos u know children anyhow clean as i'm quite particular of cleanliness ;p My son do like Ben10 as well always ask me to buy but i always told him once u score a very good result i'll buy for u. For computer, he seldom touch it cos our computer dont hv any game for him but he likes to play gameboy, i'll only let him play for half an hr cos not so good for his eyesight...

One Friday evening, my boy came to watch me wash his school shoes, I told him that he should wash his own shoes when he is bigger. Guess what he said? "I will get my wife to do it !?!?" Then I realized I must start to train this young man early. Like wiping the dining table, I will quietly/quickly clean off some of the stubborn dirt first before leaving it to him, then I will remind him to clean it properly.

Lim,
I think I enquire about Lian Hua before.
My query would be what is your motivation of joining the PSG?
My place is right in the middle of Lian Hua and Zheng Hua (both 'Huas') and it is now my registration period and I am still undecided.
sad.gif

My only gross is that Lian Hua doesn't have a brass/concert band which my boy did express interest in taking up when the time comes for him to choose CCAs.
sad.gif

Fion, my boy also does not like reading much. I'm also worried about his compo, both English & Chinese. I don't understand MOE, only P1 and the syllabus so hard already?
sad.gif
I don't want to be a kiasu "push the kid" parent but it seems impossible not to be.

mummyto2
hahah.. no choice cos we live in this competitive world.. Is ur son exam timetable out oredi.. ? Now our children studies are not easy as we used to be
sad.gif
We can only help & guide them along the way. It's all depend on them whether they wanna to learn or not as i always tell my son that..

Zhen,
Luckily, I live just next door to Lianhua so did not have to wonder, in addition, it is really good to be in a single morning session school. As for my “motive” to join PSG, it is not at all altruistic. You see, I am a FTWM, very little time to participate in my son’s day time activities. Furthermore, nowadays most schools have close door policy, got security guard, parents can only send children to the gate, otherwise must sign in. Joining PSG, can get to know the teachers, his schoolmates and best of all my son knows that I get to meet his form teacher every once or twice a week.

Thanks Lim,
Wa...your boy must be on his toes the whole time, knowing that his teachers know his mum. ;)
I asked my boy to choose between joining the band (ZHPS) and Robotics (LHPS) and he choose the latter. Guess that settles my problem.
happy.gif

Fion, yah lor, it's a competitive world now. I worry for my kids, sometimes I wonder if it's right to bring them into this world to suffer
sad.gif

No, I did not see any exam timetable, maybe not out yet bah?

mummyto2
I was used to think wat u r thinking whether are we bring them here to suffer like us?? I telling myself before i gave birth to my elder son better dun get pregnant but ended up still bring him to this world... I tell myself again, the world going to end soon so no more second one child but when think of my elder son he will be lonely when he grows up why not give him a didi or mei mei? So ended up i gave birth to my #2. hahaha.. sometimes things are beyond our control. Perhaps is fated bah... :p So dun think too much lor... as long as they live happy & healthy is our greatest present :p

I try not to think too much, but guess I'm a pessimist. Anyway, what's done is done liao..., cannot turn the clock back, just try to do the best I can.

I am trying to introduce blogging to my son so that he can write up his own journal with a few lines every few days. Is anyone here blogging? I created my son's blog in blogspot.com, are there any other more child-friendly blog sites?

Back