(2002) Any 2002 babies?

Chicken Little,
your girl dun benefit from busy bee? my boy is with berries. he still cannot write well although berries does teach some techniques. and the standard is quite high...i read one of his class compo which was written with help of tips and guidelines and although i find it pretty good already, he only manage to get 13/20. comments are always the usual; ie besides the fanciful phrases and he can duplicate, his sentences remain 'unsmooth' and broken. very difficult to correct this if he don't converse in mandarin frequently or read.
sad.gif

my boy's oral exam is 3rd week of april...

Fz
Tutor look thru n say busy bee standard set way above p3. Well it can also be her attitude too. This wild horse very difficult to tame.

anyway for lesser price I get a tutor who can coach oral language n writing why not right haha

Jolene
This contact given by my colleagues so I juz call her. I will pm you her contact

Chicken Little,
Busy bee standard low? wah....
The tutor doing only oral and writing? So her CL main 'course' you DIY? Quite surprised that 1-to-1 tuition can be cheaper than enrichment. :D

Fz
no no she says too high that is why my girl cannot absorb. Anyway now I already paid busy bee, will run concurrently for both till end of this term.

The tutor will cover all. What I mean I have been monitoring my girl in terms of chinese language, comprehension etc and left creative writing to busy bee. Now for cheaper price with tutor, she covers all and I will just review and no need to get involved. ha ha

Chicken Little,
Oops. I must be still groggy from waking up late (at 10am!) hence read wrongly. :p Perks of being a SAHM. :D

Hi Yawnyawn,
In school.
I think It is conducted in different schools.It is known as The Singpore and Asean Schools Math Olymiads.
This yea, they have added a new division. The middle primary sudents will take a paper with 15 questions target at their level.

The registration fee is $18.

P3 can participate in Maths Olympiad?
Do you have the link to read up further? like closing date, registration details

Good Morning,
did not hear or read there is maths olympia for my son sch. but i notice my son sch, beside shaping maths activity book, there hv additional booklets of maths workbook since he start P1, the additional booklets of maths question is tougher than shaping maths activity book. probably his sch preparing the students for the Maths olympia since P1

hi mummies, my ds gave me a form this morning to ask for consent to enrol in the ICAS tests. They are for Eng, Maths or Science. Is optional. Do mummies here sign up any for the kids? I knew some of your kids took up in P2. For my ds school, they only start to have it in P3.

think for them is optional bah.. since you can tick which subj to test, didn't really read carefully. as for payment is you can opt to pay in cash, or co-share with edusave, meaning you still need to come out some cash
happy.gif

ICAS - is optional for my gals' school, but I still signed her up..just for experience. In any case, no practice or training needed..they just take it as normal quiz. Last year, she signed up for English..this year, we sign up for Maths.

i blindly sign up for the 3 subjects seeing they are all in different months, so not much of stress or what. Am I too KS? My intention is juz like you bebe75, just for an exposure and no preparation needed.

Hi Mummies,

Yesterday, dd got back her topical test. Lost some marks on comprehension. I don't understand why the teacher deduct 1/2 marks on this:

Q: What does "they" refer to in the passage?
DD answer: ( "They" refer to ***** ).
Teacher said correct answer should be ( It refers to ***** ).

Since the question is "they", why is it wrong to answer "they". Any idea?

ICAS:
So far, ICAS for all 3 subjects - no need to pay for my dd. Last year, we didn't pay.

maisy

My dd got the exact same question!
Mabye same school huh, haha!

So misleading hor, question indicate 'they' in inverted commas so my dd also gave answers in inverted commas, then teacher marked wrong

RE EL Compre
Nowadays I also don't know how to teach compre. Some of the answers are clearly correct but because of the presentation of the answers, the kids get marks deducted! very ridiculous!

Chicken Little,
when you mentioned that your girl's busy bee compo standard is high, I took a look at my boy's berries compo guide. my CL writing standard also not as good ah! So for revision-sake, I dig out his P2 berries compo guide and intend to use it as i feel that it is more suited to his ability. :D

Can check if anyone knows about Chinese oral for pri 3 this year? I heard from friend that there is a new component ie. Discussion of a topic. Eg, the teacher may ask how do we 环保? Then the kids must say about 8 sentences. I wasn't aware there is this new component.

Maisy Daisy - yes, my gal's oral will include the dialogue/conversation session this time.

Compre
- What if I put "They" referS to xxx... as opposed to "They" refer to xxx..
I think marks shd not be deducted for abv, right?

Bebe,
The teacher just strike off and put (It refers to....) I intend to ask the teacher to call me and clarify. Will let you know what she say.

I think that "It" stands for "The word "They".

If just put "They", it is not a complete sentence.

If the question is: What does "couple" refer to?
We will answer as -
The word "couple" refers to Mr and Mrs Tan or It refers to Mr Tan and Mrs Tan.
We will not answer as "Couple" refers to Mr and Mrs Tan"

Hi yawn yawn,
I tried to navigate the website, but it does not give information for this year format.

My son has a copy for the 2010 Contest problems. I only let him tried those questions that I can explain to him.

Surprisingly, he give me the answer without any explanation from me. Instead he is the one to explain to me how he got the answer.

Hi Chua Yen Ling,
Very nice of your son's teachers to expose them to such questions and even gave them past year questions to try on. There is nothing of such in my son's school. not even talks about how to tackle math problems or science.

Hi fz,
Actually, the paper is not given to the students.
My son has a copy because he enrol for the contest.
It is given free when one enrol.

Yen Ling,
So nice of the school to expose the kids to such exams. Are there any pre-requisites? Or the teacher will select say a few from each class?

Hi Maisy Daisy,
There are no pre-requisites as long as the students are from P3 to P6.

My son signed up the contest himself. I did not ask him to do that. He just told me that he would like to go for it. He is very interested in Mathematics.

I ask him to sign up for the ICAS, but he is not interested at all as he knows that his ENGLISH is not good. He just told me" Don't waste the money" So I just let him be.

Hi natellehcim,
This year they have a new division for middle primary students.

I think the website is not updated yet.
The latest date for the registration is April 11 2011.

If you are interested, you can try to call 65549638.

I think private candidates will have to pay $30.

Hi Yen Ling,
thanks for the information. I will check out with ds see if he is keen. you were saying the exact day is 27 Apr, i believe is in the afternoon. He will have a conversational Malay lesson in school, not sure he is able to skip or not
happy.gif
By the way, the exam venue is in Sembawang right?

Hi natellehcim,
Yes, it is from 2pm to 4pm.

The venue for my son is in his school.
Holy Innocents' Primary school(Hougang)

oh Yen Ling,
I've just recalled this 27 Apr the kids are having their ICAS Science. Believe should be happeing in the school too. So i better don't confuse him with this Maths Olympia thing since both happening on the same day.
happy.gif

I just wrote a letter to my gal's English teacher this afternoon. My gal complained that sometimes she has headaches seeing compre passage. I asked if she can do compre independently..she said no. I have not seen her compre worksheet as they are being kept in school. Another problem is her compo writing..at P3, she is still giving me incoherent pc of work, no logic and poor sentence structure. And she is still struggling to write within the stipulated time and words. Hiaz..The other day I gave her verbal instruction and she totally cannot get it..dunno if she can pass her listening compre or not. Not sure if this is sign of dyslexia. I borrowed some books abt dyslexia in the library and found that there are some similar signs. I hope the teacher can advise me her progress of her daily school work.

bebe75,
Mindstretcher is not helping?

My boy is really weak in CL. At home where I let him do CL compre assessment books, he can get 4 out of 5 incorrect due to incomplete or wrong answers! and the last question asking for opinion is almost always wrong. haiz.

FZ
Mind stretcher helps but is limited. For Mindstretcher, she has to copy out those model compo. The good thing is that she "memorise" those good phrases and vocab, but the down side is she takes a long time to copy them - sometimes 2 hours to half a day. And for compre..she is still very weak..not sure if too tough for her standard or what.

Maths is helping her in a way..I think partly the teacher plays apart. She told me she likes MS Maths teacher better compared to her school teacher. Usually MS will teach a topic in advance and hence she manage to do okay for schoolwork. However, last week when she came home with a badly scored topical test from school (topic : Length). She said MS has not covered Length topic and she does not understand the metric conversion part.

Exam is a month's time away..and I am super stress..I will not be surprised she flung her English and Science paper this time round.I expect slip in Maths result as well..

And during the last maths briefing in school..her teacher advise us to get the kids to memorise the timetable..cos speed and accuracy is important for P3 onwards..
I hv problem getting her to memorise timetable..imagine she still has to use her finger to do simple calculation like 8+6.

I'm also getting stressed up with my gal. Her maths result can be roller coaster, sometimes score band 1 sometimes band 3. Once I let go a while, the results go haywire. So what to do, have to micro-manage and harp on her constantly.

bebe75

I have the same problem with DS on the timetable. His student care teacher complained that he does not know his timetable well and thus he is not able to do division questions.

Mummytiffany
Very frustrating right? Pbm is they know how to do but take time to work out. I asked her to memorize so as to speed up but in the end way I get is rubbish. For now I tell her to stick back to her manual counting mtd. Take time but at least can some marks.

Back