(2002) Any 2002 babies?

me too mine does not have time table at the back of her brain need to guess or just give me weird answer.

I only have a solution for 9 time table
0 9
1 8
2 7
3 6
4 5
5 4
6 3
7 2
8 1
9 0

First row write 0 - 9 then second row 9 - 0
This is a way to help for 9 timetable

They will think it is fun and will remember

Mummies in the west, I got play out by another tutor who never turn up. Thot was lucky to get a EMS tutor who is a current school teacher but so irresponsible.

Need recommendation for a good tutor. Anyone ?

Oh..I am relieved that my gal is not the only one facing time table problem...I thought it was ONLY her..

Mindstretcher taught my gals using finger to do 9 time table..actually same as Chicken Little mtd
Hold up the 10 fingers,
For 1 x 9..lower the pixie finger on left, and u have 9 fingers remaining up
For 2 x 9..lower only the ring finger on the left..and u will have 1 pixie finger on the left and remaining 8 fingers up
Not sure if you mummies understand or not..ha ha

bebe75,
Yes, my boy's teacher finally taught them this (the 9x table 'fingering') this year. for his 6,7,8x tables, i told my boy to memorize only 6x6, 7x7 and 8x8. then the rest of the time to work backwards/forwards from these few numbers.
ie what is 8x7? use 64-8. or 49+7
what is 6x7? use 36+6 or 49-7.

Thanks so much for the v useful tips! I'm going to teach my gal this weekend. Just nice as she has a topical test on division next week.

Mummies,
Wow so many tips on how to remember times table. Got to practice it with dd. Nowadays, I like to spring surprise questions on her e.g. in the car, I suddenly ask her what is 9x8, half way eating, I ask what is 81/9 etc. We treat it as a game to see how fast she can respond.

Jolene,
What do you mean dislike? My boy does not like Chinese, but he does not hate it too. He still does his fair share of homework, but will not volunteer to speak or read Chinese. Actually he does not volunteer to do any of his work but just do enough of whatever I give him. he rather play in his spare time.

Jolene,
Suggest you read her a bedtime Chinese story every or alternate night. Great for bonding. After every story, learn a few new words/ idioms.

fz,
What you say is so right. They like to play more than do anything else. Give them ipad / iphone, they can stay still for hours. Although the house rule is no games during non-holidays, but they always manage to sneak in 10-15 min to play (while I not looking).

Jolene

my dd doesn't like Chinese either. I told her she can drop Chinese in Uni. She sees the light at the end of the tunnel, haha!

meantime, she gets the idea like or don't like, she's stuck with Chinese subject.

Hi mummies

I have to drag her for Chinese tuition and she
Keep telling me she doesn't like tuition ... She will always do her Chinese HW very last minute and refuse to read Chinese story books ....sigh

Hi mummies,

My gal dislikes chinese too, never pick up a chinese storybook unless we force her. I mentioned this to her chinese teacher during PTA and she replied that all kids are like that nowadays.... think chinese teachers also give up.

Good luck to all mummies and kiddos with SA1 starting.

My girl has english oral today and will have chinese oral tomorrow.

Using mconline.sg aka lead - oral buddy to go thru with her.

My ds (P2) having oral this Thursday. Dd (P3) having oral next Thurs. SA1 exam will begin 2nd week of May and end on 16 May. I have been preparing them for oral the last few days.

my boy is having oral tomorrow. we did not manage to revise conversation component in details. supposed to do a few english and chinese picture discussion and conversation today but was so pissed off with his poor ENGLISH picture discussion standard that i sent him off to bed. he speaks english 90% of his time, so don't know why this poor performance. his performance is like yoyo. thought that if we start preparing earlier, we can avoid last year's last minute poor revision performance, screaming etc. but yesterday's revision is ok, then today give me nonsense ("it is dangerous to stand in the rain because he may get sick." dangerous?!!!! argh!!!!!). poor sentence structure, poor observation skills and analysis. enough of screaming at him at this last minute so sent him off to bed.

Hi mummies,

Oral is one headache, then EL and CL compo is the 2nd major headache ...dd having CL compo in her exam for the 1st time round, wonder "how" she is going to write 80 words coherently given her CL standard.

Oral - I used MConline Oral Buddy.

Actually the main thing is to ask them to remember the 5 W and 1 H - Where, when, what, why , who and How

Chinese will be 何时 何人 何处 何事 为何 如何。

Same rules applies Intro, scan pics 3 points at all corners, describe and express what you think and ending with conclusion.

My girl has a very difficult comprehension for her school worksheet. Answers cannot be found in the passage and must be in own words. Wait till the teacher share the model answer I will be sharing with all mummies.

Chicken little.
We tried to access the Oral Buddy last night but took a long time to load. Luckily the class teacher went through most of it in class.

Cookiepie,
Compo is the most headache of all. Oral is easier because just say and say. Told my boy to use simple CL language if he doesn't know how to use the proper terms, but most importantly is to say and say. For Compo, I told him to include dialogue to increase the number of wordcount. :D

RE Compre
I find that compre are getting more difficult too! For EL, my child is at least able to write coherently in his own words, his opinion for questions with answers that cannot be found in the passage, but for CL, that is a giveaway mark. Will give that mark back to school because he does not know how to express his thoughts in CL.
sad.gif

hi fz,
yes i agree with you. Compo is the most headache for both EL and CL. He had dropped tremendoulsy for both language in CA this year, almost 20%
sad.gif

For oral is kind of easy, just read and talk only, plus we are of mandarin speaking envt at home. Although my ds used to do pretty well for chinese for the past 2 years, this year i can see that he is starting to detest CL, esp comprehnsion. He says he don't understand the passage, not to mention how to answer the questions.

On the contrary, dd declared that Chinese is one of her best subjects. She attends Berries and I read classic Chinese stories to her on most night. I do agree writing chinese characters is a challenge as they can't bring in dictionary into class yet. Normally in class, the teacher will provide some helping words. But SA1 is probably their first "exam" without all the help. I will see how she fare for the compo in SA1 before deciding whether to drill her on compo.

Oral:
English - I left it entirely to the tuition teacher because I've tried teaching and it makes me too gek sim (blood pressure increase). Especially my ds. He will not sit still and jump all over the place when I'm tired and just want to get over and complete all the pictures. Anyway, now I just focus on Chinese oral. I go through with them the pictures and some of the vocab. Most important is they must give their own opinions and deduction.

fz,
For oral, at least can say and say. For compo, sentences must be coherent and must know how to write the words - double difficulties! Compre is getting difficult coz nowadays must infer meaning from the passage, cannot just copy & copy.....

maisy daisy,
Wah, your gal likes chinese ... that in itself is already a major acheivement. I have difficulty getting my gal to like chinese and the greater environment (with everything in english) is not helping either. My gal will probably pick up chinese easily if I throw her in china for 6 months!

Hi Mummies,

I am so worried abt my son's compo.I have never thought my son will not have problems with English. Till recently his teacher juz gave back 2 compo and asked him to rewrite cos he has fared poorly with only 12 and 13 over 20. My hubby said my son muz be thinking or busy with something when he was doing both comp. Haiz...

His teacher printed 3 classmates' compo to share with the class. I would say they are quite well written for their level. 2 of which are attending classes in Learning Lab. From now till next week, my hubby will ask him to write a compo everyday as a practice for upcoming exam.

cookiepie: agree. These days compre is quite difficult. They must understand the meaning and rephrase in their own words as sometimes the answer cannot be copied from the passage.

I am worried for my son's Chinese compre cos there might difficult words which he does not understand or know.

Just realised I have only 2+ weeks to prepare him for SA1. Super stress!!!

Hi avrilf, my ds also got around this marks for his CA EL compo. The problem is his sentences structuring and ideas do not link.... Last year think he got quite good for his compo but not this yr. I intend to get him to write like what your hubby is doing, but the problem w me is I might not be able to correct him in terms of structure and flow of writing. Thus did not go ahead with it. He is with Learning Point, he is also having problem in writing well for the lessons. hopefully he can starts to see the light slowly.

Hi mummies
I can see my gal's english teacher is drilling them for Compo writing ... I am not so worry abt English Compo but more concern on her Chinese Compo instead

Seriously, I myself cannot write a chinese compo. I've 'surrenderred' and passed that part to the chinese enrichment teacher. The only thing I can do is nag her to read and memorize the phrases in the model composition. Fortunately, now for Chinese, oral is a bigger component compared to compo now. So mummies, don't get too worried. Focus on paper 2 to score instead.

when my ds was in P2, his CL made them 'memorise' creative phrases that can be used for compo and their CL 摹写 comprises of such too. Thus is a good training for the kids. However, this yr P3 i never see such thing happening leh.... Thus don't seem that there is 'power' in the compo writing liao.

Jolene
My gal tomorrow has Maths test
Next tue el paper 1 next we'd Chinese test thu cl paper 1
Week of 3 may will have science test
Sa1 from 10 to 13 may

U will relax one day ahead of me

hi mummies
RE Compo
Seems like there is only a handful of students who can write beautifully! For my boy's class, 13/20 is consider highest in class! Going by my boy's standard (13/20), he is no where near to those model compo standard. but definitely better than before i drill him on the usage of some better phrases. For his CL Compo, he only has memory power for certain phrases. I akin our 'study method' to be like that of questions spotting. We only concentrate on those phrases/compo that are likely to come out rather than spend time doing variety of non-common scenerio. No choice ah! although my boy is supposedly better in english, his compo for chinese is better than his english compo because berries taught some compo. makes me think if i should invest in english compo for him too.

RE Exam days
This week is oral,next week compo, first week may English and Maths, then following week Chinese and Science on 10may.

Jolene
Thanks for your concern. Got a tutor to start today. Not school teacher or with many years of experience. Just 2 years experience and young girl applying for NIE but already attain accountancy degree from NTU. Hmm wondering why dun want to do accounts and opt for NIE instead

Thru sms seems quite a firm and matured young girl. Met her just now and she seems to know what to do. Now my gal having her lesson and hugging the buddha leg now for tomorrow's maths test. Leaving it to the tutor and I will just run thru time table again with her later before she koon

Chicken Little,
Qualification is secondary if the rapport is good. I once introduced one of my ex-secondary school classmate to my relative for tuition for POA (principal of accounts). This friend of mine was in NTU doing accountancy at that time and looking for tuition as part time job. From a failing grade, she managed to coach my relative's dd into an A1 for O-level. :D

My gal is having lotsa homework lately...really no time to revise. I only coach her on the science subjects. As for English..only ask her to practice on her comprehension. For Maths and Chinese..I told her..she is on her own. Frankly speaking..after teaching her science for the past 2 weeks..I am so worn out..I am hoping she will get at least a band3 for science.

Compo
I will be thrilled if my gal can get 13/20...I did not get to see much of her writing works this term..but judging from her writing pieces from the tuition class..I know her level shd be around 9/20 - 11/20.

Compre
Well, I have to admit that compre at P3 (both chinese and english) is rather challenging..not so straight forward. Even I myself did not get the correct answers..hiaz..

Bebe,
My gal said not fair why mummy can peep at the compre answer. Lol...

Compo
My dd has been scoring qt well for her compo although I feel her standard not so good leh. Both Chinese and English she get around 15-16/20. Not sure if the teacher is lenient or standard is low. Hope she still maintain this marks for sa1.

Seems like I will be 'suffering' longer. My gal sa1 last paper will be on 16 may.

Hi Maisy, your dd compo marks very good liao leh. If it happens for my ds, i will be happy ler. My ds SA also ends on 16 May. Come to looking at the calendar, realised left 2-3 wks nia, started to panic liao, because I've not done any revision with him. Seeing him still struggling with new chapters. Next week is oral (not so much worry for he is talkative :p). Only worry for his compo and listening compreh. He told me he is worried about his 'note-taking' for listening compreh, seems to be a new skill required for it and he claimed that the kids are not able to hear clearly what is being played on the recorder.

natellehcim: My son's compo is lacked of details. Thus now training him to write outside the pictures.

Think his paper 1 is 1st wk of May. Will ask him to memorise the chinese descriptive words which his teacher has given.

I am leaving Science and English to my hubby. Mindstretcher is having the Science test this week. Thus my hubby is giving him past year exam paper to practice.

I will concentrate on his Chinese and Maths. Will train his oral this weekend. Need to teach him how to express his opinions.

Natellehcim,
I am teaching my boy science too. My husband is not in sync with the primary science syllabus and lazy to read guidebooks. I only read up stuff that my boy is unclear of. maths is still ok. just careless mistakes. so long he can grasp the concept, i will need to focus how to help him learn how to do thorough checking when it gets nearer to the exams. as of now, i don't require him to check his math work as we are press for time to learn other stuff. his chinese i leave it to berries. will need to go through his tingxie words to ensure he knows how to write. mentally prepared to give marks away for compre last few questions already.

7may is voting day, i wonder if school is closed on the following monday.

hi fz,
7 may is declared as public day, thus most likely 9 May will be a replacement holiday for those 5-day work.

I find lousy when sometimes my ds asked me about some science qns, i do not know any answer :p

So far i did not coach much on maths only those qn if he face some difficulty in answering his school worksheet. he is currently attending sakamoto maths, so i leave it to him to sort out that subject himself. as long as he is able to grab the necessary ideas and concepts.

lucky my dd's P2 this year had phased out their SA1, if not i will be doubly stressed. She needs much more help for she is in low band 2 or even band 3 type this year.

Mummies how do you show the workings for this question :

Ethan has 16 coins that add up to $6.20. Some of them are 50-cent coins and the rest are 20-cent coins. How many 20 cent coins does he have ?

Ethan has 16 coins that add up to $6.20. Some of them are 50-cent coins and the rest are 20-cent coins. How many 20 cent coins does he have ?

Trial #1
For 50ct --> 16 x 50 ct = $8.00
For 20ct --> none
total amt --> $8.00  not correct

Trial #2
For 50ct --> 10 x 50 ct = $5.00
For 20ct --> 6 x 20ct = $1.20
total amt --> $5.00 + $1.20 = $6.20 (correct)

Alternatively there is a short cut for this,

$6.20 = 620ct

Assume all 16 coins are 20ct,
16 x 20 = 320ct

620-320 = 300ct (means you still short of 300cts to meet to 620ct)

50ct – 20ct = 30ct
300 divide by 30 = 10 (means 10 coins needed for 50ct)

16 coins – 10 coins = 6 coins of 20ct

Natellehcim,
I prefer the 2nd supposition method, much faster and less prone to mistakes (versus Trial & error method). I tried to explain to my gal last month but not sure if she understands or not. Will need to throw her similar questions to work on before SA1. I was busy guiding her on Division and problem sums recently for school test. Sometimes she gets mix-up with the division.

Back