(2002) Any 2002 babies?

Kids must know how to protect their eyes..proper reading habits, avoid straining the eyes..and relax often. Otherwise, give them all the good lens or even lasik also no use.

My P3 gal with the normal lens- She only wears them in classroom when looking at the board or in the sch hall looking at the OHP screen..but at home watching tv, she does not need to put them on

For my younger P2 gal with the myovision lens..she wears on a longer period eg in school, even in canteen so that she can see the food menu or notice board. At home, she put them on when reading. doing homework or watching TV.

Popular sale at Expo

Went before lunch time. Assessment books 20-25% off.
But super crowded leh, probably due to school holiday. Huge squeeze at assessment section. Queue also ridiculously long. I managed to buy a few Chinese readers at 1.50 each

my optician said that myovision will be ineffective if the lifestyle habits of the child favours myopia (ie we tend to stay indoors most of the time doing reading and indoor play). he emphasized on lesser near work (including indoor play, lego, doodling etc) and more outdoor activities. came back from HPB, vision is 150/125. Optician checked is 150/75. will delay another 2 months and go back in June to make the glasses when my boy hit 4.5yo as he seems reluctant to put it on.

my optician also checked my ds1's eyes. seems like there is an increase since his 350 degree in Dec! faint. advice is to reduce 'near work'. how to reduce if he needs to spend hours a day doing school homework? must remind him to rest for 5min for every 30min spent in doing his work.

Fz - yes, my optician also said the same thing..have to educate our kids to take care of their eyes. Now I no need to remind my gals to switch on the lights when doing their work..but I still nag them when I see them reading on bed.

Fz
I think very difficult to avoid staying indoors if they have to do so much homework and assessments. I try to limit the kids from too much electronics games including iphone. Sometimes I allow them to go downstairs (near the garden) to do their homework, hoping that it will be better for the eyes.

Hi mummies,

Last night when packing the school basket, my dd1 was unusually enthusiastic about packing it, and I saw she threw away some papers in the bin, exclaiming loudly that these are "rubbish" from school. I got suspicious by her behaviour and snooped in the bin after she slept. True enough, I discovered she threw away an HPB eyecheck slip, asking us to bring her to check her eyes because her vision is 6/12 (right eye) and 6/9 (left eye). She has a slight squint on the right eye so I suspect she may have lazy eye. But would like to ask mummies what does 6/12 and 6/9 translate to eye power? Eg my eye power is at 475, but not sure what to make of this 6/9 and 6/12 reading.

Will be bringing her to an optician tomorrow afternoon, but will also bring her to SNEC for full eye check up soon.

Sigh - so sad. I am fine with her wearing glasses (although a little sad, cos she is in ballet and tennis CCAs in school) but I know it is inevitable cos hubby and me are both short-sighted. But I am sadder by the fact that she tried to hide the knowledge from me by throwing away the piece of HPB paper! I guess she panicked as well....SIGH.

Hi Linette, maybe she did not know the importance of the eyecheck slip. Don't be say, give her the benefit of doubts.

I also want to know what does 6/12 and 6/9 means, any mummies knows? What is perfect eyesight, 12/12?

6/9, 6/12 can be 50-100degree.
My K1 is 6/14 and 6/24; SHC test to be 125 and 150; really high for his age. Went to the optician and tested to be 75 and 150. Wonder why one side is half of the other. He refuses to wear the specs in the shop so we intend to go back again in June.

Both my sons are wearing glasses.

My elder one increase 100 degree every year. Now, Pri 3 - 300 degree
sad.gif

Younger one - 100 degree - Pri 1.....*sign*...

I am badly short sighted. My hubby - perfect eye sight...... hoping they will inherit my hubby genes....
sad.gif

Marshall Cavendish workshop - anyone went?

Valerie: Thanks for your message. Yes, I went to ask my dd why the HPB slip was in the bin, and she said she didn't know what it meant. Luckily, I gave her the benefit of the doubt and did not ask more. She was actually pleased to hear she would be wearing glasses, haha! I guess as parents, manytimes we really need to give our children the benefit of the doubt and truly trust what they say.

This term, dd's school is stepping up on homework and schoolwork - no doubt revving the kids up for SA1. Sigh, after just one week of enjoyment, time to hit the books again!
sad.gif

Attended parents-teachers meeting. Both languages teachers said my dd needs to step up on creative writing.

Stressed....

I just withdrawn her from Chinese creative writing leh. She complained too difficult. Every week she couldn't finish essay in class. Write only 1st paragraph. I feel that there's no point continuing if she can't catch up. She wouldn't benefit anyway. I wanted to look for another center for her but she refused. Her pattern is like that so I must wait till she's agreeable. Meantime, my plan is to dig out those old essay she wrote previously to revise

But I seriously need to send her to English creative writing. She's experiencing writer's block. One simple book review can drag 3 hours, over 2 days!

Linette, glad that you have cleared the air.

In my opinion, composition at such young age is really not necessary as their vocabulary is still not strong yet.

yawn yawn: The children need to have lots of practice. However I realized my son can write in class but when he is home, he tends to rely on us alot.

According to my son's Chinese tuition teacher's feedback, his average score for compo is 14/20 which is neither here or there. However he manages to increase his speed in writing after a few practices. He needs to increase his 词语 and 成语 knowledge.

I am worried for him cos there will be compo for both languages in the upcoming SA exam. I am trying to ask him to memorise some 成语 that describe the weather and person.

RE Creative writing

My boy attends Berries which teach creative writing. but he still can't write well. his adhoc class journal is always in basic language and description and he relies quite a bit me for words he does not know how to write.

For his EL compo, for last term, they only did 1 compo in class. Hope that the teacher can get them to do more. For the one compo, they did a second draft. My boy's first draft is horrible. Simple english describing every other not important things despite spending an hour earlier on similar compo; I was hoping he can at least absorb some ideas/phrases from these model compo but instead he retain nothing! For his second draft, I gave him suggestions on how to improve by writing a compo of my own. He actually absorbs my idea and is able to improve his compo; on both occasions, I did not let him copy direct from the 'model' compo; I insisted that he must memorize the phrases if he want to use them (he will copy in a little booklet phrases that he will probably use). His second draft was one of the best 2 compo in class and guess what? The highest score in class for that compo is only 13/20!

Fz
Same for my kids. The writing style is like oral. "I went the school today. I saw a cat at the drain. I felt sad....I... " I told them this the most boring compo.

Spoke to the teachers and comments was dd is creative but weak in sentence construction and grammar.

Hi Valerie,
Perfect eyesight is 6/6.
6/9 still need not wear specs.
6/12 i think it is 25degree
and 6/24 I think it is 75degree.

Hi Maisy Daisy,
All extra lessons are conducted by the school teachers(their subject teachers). Sometimes, I don't know if it is good or bad. But it seemed that with the extra lessons, their homework seemed to lessen.

Just these few days, my son ask me for Mathematics 3b Workbook part 1.
I am very shocked to know this as I always thought 3b is always for 2nd semester and not second term.

Now, I become more and more worried. Thinking if my son is able to cope with his lazy attitude. He is the one who always do the last minute revision.

Yen Ling,
6/24 is 75 degree? My K1 is 6/14 and 6/24; SHC test come back to be 125 and 150! Optician tested 75/150. Don't tell me in one month's time (since sch's eye test) my K1's degree shot up so much!
sad.gif

Ladies,

juz want pop in and see if there is any tips to learn from mummies here.

my elder son in P3, i do encounter my son face challenges in Chinese and english Compo Writing too.
I was told by his chinese and english teachers at the before and after sch ctr, need to let him read more mandarin and enlish story books.

after his CA1 results i was shock that the compre and compo carry heavy marks, and both his language oni juz pass. really make me worried as well.

have any let him attend any class outside, i juz sign him up on Morrie Ellen English, and I a Local Mandarin teacher to coach him.

Frankly speaking I have not seen much of my gals' compo writing work..only 1 piece so far. According to their teachers, they do not want the kids to complete the compo work at home, as they wanna them to get used to completing the compo within the stipulated time during exams..eg 40min. I agree with them..cos I am very sure if she were to bring back her compo..I may end up finish the work for her.

I have no ideas how to improve writing..other than encourage them to read the model books..take note of the good/interesting phrases and words. Good writing skill does not come easily...just hav to let the kids get used to writing..encourage them to write their own diary..or write a piece of short story.

April
My gal attended Morrie Allen for a short while..I did not see any effective result though she enjoyed her class.

Hi Fz,
I remember that my daughter was that(6/24) when I bring her to the optician and there we get the degree. So I assume should be that. I will confirm with the optician again when I bring my kids there the next visit.

bebe75,
compo writing complete in sch, teacher need the parents signature,he is really bad. 1 week ago started him to write diary on daily happening in sch.
oh really Morrie Allen no effective result. I sign up Kovan branch, which branch u sign up?

April - I went to the Bishan Branch. Let yr boy try out MA first and see his progress...maybe it will work for him?

My kids do not have CA. But out of curiosity, I log onto the school's website and saw the CA1 exam results for P5 and P6. Was shocked to see that the average score was only ~57 to <60% and top score was 98%. That means there are a few top scorers but many kids would have failed the exam (since the average is so low). My friend told me P5 is a big jump. Start to get really stressed up...

I attended the briefing held by my gals' sch last week. The outline of the briefing covers the scope and syllabus of P3 subjects and the expectations as well as the teaching methods, materials used by the teachers in sch. I am glad to attend such briefing esp when my P3 gal hardly shares with me abt her her school life. Hiaz..why she is like that..ask her questions..she only says Yes, No or I dunno. Last time, when I used to wait for her at the gate, I still can chat with other mummies to find out..now she takes sch bus, if not, I pick her up via car...hardly can chat with those mummies..

Anyway, I hv to say it is not easy for the teachers to manage the parents..many of them have high (and sometimes ridiculous) suggestions.

Science - My gal failed her last 2 science topical test miserably..cos no MCQ. I hv a month to revise the science topic again before her SA1 ..hope still in time to make it..

I ask her what is her fav subject in school - she said Chinese as she has a lot of interesting activities worksheet for chinese lessons. She does not like Maths (boring) and Science (dun understand). She does not like English compo but enjoys her English lesson esp her English teacher always jokes with the class. After attending the briefing, we got to meet up with their respective subject teachers and I can understand why she likes her English and Chinese teacher. Both were very experienced and knows how to pitch their tone to captivate the kids. Her Maths/Science teacher happens to be the same person..and I myself find her boring..basically just reading out from slides and no eye contacts with parents..either she speaks very fast or she is very eager to send the parents away. I told my hubby if I shd ask her to slow down when she speaks..(at least)..esp when my gal is quite weak in audio skills..I hv asked my gal to raise up her hand and ask questions if she does not understand..she said she will TRY..hiaz...

Bebe,
A good teacher really makes a huge difference. Because he/she can motivates or kill the interest of the child in that subject. I guess as parents we have to put in more effort to coach the kids in their weaker (not-so-interested) subjects and make them be more interested.

Last time, my secondary science teacher is a spinster who has mood swing, scolds students without any reason. I end up living in fear and just memorized the science book for the sake of exam. That should not be the way learning should be.

maisy, bebe

My dd's Chinese &amp; Maths teachers are mostly on leave. And they seem to keep changing relief teachers. Her worksheet files are so sparing. Not stack &amp; stack like in P1 &amp; P2. I guess too much disruption.

Yawn Yawn
My gal's Eng teacher also kept changing to and fro..like playing musical chairs..one was on ML after CNY..the other was on course..left and came back..aiyoh. Luckily this term the teachers who went on course has finally settled down and will lead the class. Ya..the worksheets and corrections r all over the place, but she had assured that she will sort them out soon.

Maisy daisy
Interesting to note that, my gal prefers to do Mindstretcher worksheets even though it is a lot more difficult than her sch worksheets..so teachers really do make difference.
I hv no wish to ask the sch teacher to change her teaching style..but still cannot help worrying, esp my gal is very soft spoken type..will not ask questions in class. I also cannot expect her to get the best teachers all the time.

RE teachers
it is very difficult to get teachers who will 'click' with the students and yet can produce results. last year, my boy has a soft-spoken teacher, and while he enjoys class, his math wkbk are riddled with many careless mistakes. this year's teacher is very fierce. my boy's careless mistakes cut down drastically. as for interest in subjects, he is only interested in science although sc, math and el has the same fierce teacher. he is also interested in CL, but only because lessons are fun. he will still shun doing CL assessment at home and will never voluntarily speak mandarin or read CL story books at home.

re: teachers
My gal's maths teacher also keep changing. Somemore Maths is her weak subject so really worrying.

Yawn,
Does it affect your gal if the Maths teacher keeps changing? I feel language subjects is not as bad as we parents can always give them more practice. But Maths has technique and if we're not familiar with the syllabus, then may teach the wrong method loh.

maisy

Yeah lor, quite disruptve. She said different teachers teach differently. Then no continuation - method taught by one teacher, before kids can master it, another relief teacher came in with a different method

I'm rather hands-off with Maths since last year. A little difficult for me to jump back in liao. I send her to RC for more consistent practice. Guess what, RC teacher also absent like every alternate week. Sigh...

Hi mummies,

On Monday, my dd bought back math homework which has "Review" as the heading. There were some simple problem sums using division method but my girl said that her teacher has not taught them yet. Anyone experience this type of situation. How do you expect the child to solve the problem with the correct concept when it has not even been taught.

My dd said only those who has tuition will know how to use the division format, others like her will try to use times-table to solve it.

Does the teacher expect the parent to teach in advance? And on top of that, they don't even use the math text book at all for teaching.

It seems that her CL teacher fall sick quite often. She was sick but she still led the school volleyball team for tournament but took mc for the next 2 days and relieve teacher has to stand in for her classes.

The more i asked my dd regarding what happens in her daily life in school, the more upset i get. Sigh....

Now that i relate it here, i felt much better... Thanks for reading.

The textbook thing is another headache..I realise that my gal also hardly uses the textbook (Maths/Science)..waste of $$. Chinese textbook is the only VFM text..For Science..teacher will give them notes and handout..but I find it too wordy..No highlight of key/important concepts/words..not even Bold or Bigger Font. My gal used highlighter to color the keywords (she said teacher asked them to do so)..but I am not sure if she is highlighting the CORRECT one..cos all I see is rainbow colors on her notes.
I am contemplating to photocopy her notes and help her to draw out the important key words.

I was told that the school will usu assign the best teachers in P1 and P5..and the rest of the level will get the average teachers. I happened to speak to another parent whose daughter is my gal's classmate..she also finds that the current Science/Maths teacher not so good..so I am not the only parent. But we agree that there is no point complaining abt the teacher esp when there are already shortage of teachers (many teachers had left since last yr)

Okie..stop ranting liao..now I hv to go back and read up on P3 science guide so that I can tutor my gal later..:p

Wow… mummies, is good to have this platform for us to share our ‘sorrows’… hahaha…. Think most of us face similar situation about our kids in school. I hear that mummies here were saying about a lot of homework your kids are having since start of school, but I did not see that in my ds this year, compared to when he was in P1 n P2. I reckon that it could be the school or teacher are trying to give the kids sometime to adjust to their morning session because they were in the afternoon last 2 yrs. However, I’m not sure if it is because of the morning timing or lack of ‘homework’ drilling, I notice my ds had become ‘LAN SAN’ a lot. This year his CA gave me a great shock in his languages…. Almost 20% drop… *sigh* after adding the marks, main part caused by the compositions. He had been attending enrichment in compo but I feel it don’t seem to help much. So sad….. My another worry is that till now I still see my ds is so unfocused… not sure because he is still not able to adjust to morning timing, plus he needs to stay back after school almost everyday for various purposes. After CA, SA is coming soon loh… 

Hi Mummies,

I understand how you feel when the teachers keep changing. I have personally experienced this process during my Sec 1-3 days. Very disruptive
sad.gif

So far I have not heard about my son complaining his teacher. Maybe I should ask him more tonite.

He enjoys and looks forward to his Thursday Science class @ Mindstretcher.

Natellehcim: My son is also getting lazy. I need to keep asking him to do the assessment books.

He only gets to come home early on Tuesday while the rest he has to stay back for extra classes or CCA.

I am quite worried for his upcoming SA plus now is already end of March. Which means we have about 1 mth to revise with them.

me too mummies. Appreciate all the support and a channel to rant.

Now I am at a loss too. My girl's tutor just gave me a immediate notice and walk out on us as she took up a news agency job.

sigh, i have totally outsource to student care and the tutor as I channel my effort for my son as it seems more demanding for K1 now and the teacher has high expectation.

Now I have to be octopus again. And pray hard that a new tutor I am getting next week will be the angel sent to solve all my worries.

First time my girl having SA1. Language , I have to gear up for Paper 2 as I have no hope for her Paper 1 at all.

Science, she says she is enjoying but I am clueless if she can really managed. Because all the answer I can is Ok , not too bad, manageable. But I think result from SA1 will be otherwise.

Crossing finger now

My boy has not been using his math textbook since p1 yet i still buy them. My husband taught my boy division during beginning of the year. I cross check with his textbook to ensure that his method is correct.
For science, not sure if they use textbook much. I am using janet sim to teach him the basics.
Chinese textbook the most used. But wonder why this year the sch did not subscribe to hao peng yo.
English quite difficult to track what they learn in class.

My gal did pretty ok for her recent topical tests and compo. But then the tests seem so easy to me. It's mostly MCQ. I hope she doesn't shock me for her CA. The SA papers that I asked her to do, she has scored low band 2 and this really make me panic.

Counting down.... It's 1 month from CA. My kids exam will start 2nd week of May and end by mid May.

Hi Chicken Little,

Sorry to interrupt...Is your gal's tutor Teacher Er? If she is, I think she got attitude problem!

I think not only you kena her last minute 'cross-out'.

Chicken little,
So now you gotta find new tutor? Last minute also not easy. I've been wanting to get a good tutor but not easy to find. End up I diy teach myself. Cos cannot entrust myself with someone with no track record.

Jolene,
I remember you told me. Din know kckc too. Wonder if Joanne too will Kenna

I got a Chinese tutor for my gal as she says she dun benefit from busy bee. First lesson today she likes the teacher so crossing finger to see result

Next week I got another ems tutor now crossing finger n hope she will be an angel god sent for my gal

Back