(2002) Any 2002 babies?

Natellehcim,
have sent u de MT test paper. not sure if anymore are coming cos usually Maths n Science are 'surprise' tests ... but till now, no surprises yet ...

dd1 started wearing specs end of k2, only kid in my family till now. keeping my fingers crossed for dd2, who is in k2 now ... she was a premature bb so actually higher chances of wearing specs at younger age ...

anyone tried de maths assessment book sold only by onsponge? my friend's son in St Gabriel uses it to occupy kids' time between classes.

for those who missed de Marshall Cavendish eng workshop in Dec organised by Popular, there's another one on 19 mar for eng, maths & science. dis time it's foc. pm me if u need more details.

anyone bringing their kids to de "James & The Giant Peach" play in May? cos dd's sch uses dis Roald Dahl book for eng, she's watching wif some of her friends. i have de ticket discount password if anyone needs.

not sure if anyone stays near a CDAC. de one at Tanjong Katong has free 1-1/2hr Mandarin story-telling n activities sessions on saturdays for de months of Mar n Apr. call up to register in advance cos these sessions r always fully booked.

hi Jh, yes had replied your email this morning. so far I have only 2 school's science papers. waiting for other mummies to contribute if any. regarding other subjects, i will be keen too. but Alas, I did not scan the other subject papers that day, because mummies mentioned only Science. Now my ds had brought back to school already. Hopefully he is able to bring them back tomorrow for the holidays.

hi Jh,
my ds needs to wear specs this year liao. Worse he is lazy eyes, 1 without deg, the other w 175deg. But he has been lazy to wear on his specs.

may i know what is the eng workshop about? basically what does it covers?

For maths, my ds's sch uses another type of 'self-produced' booklet as an extra material. they have it for all levels, looking at it seems to be on model helping qns.

My ds don't seem to enjoy Roald Dahl books. He enjoys more on Scholatis books eg : Geronmino, the magic sch bus... and also the Magic Tree HOuse (hopefully I got the name correct) :p

For the CDAC, my kids gotten the forms but seem too far from my place. I staying in almost very north.

JH
I have onsponge but ha ha I have not let my girl try on it yet. Will let her do this holiday as punishment due to poor time management during test.

can pm me the password, would like to bring the kids there.

Natellehcim,
I will see if she brings back english papers today. If yes , will scan in 1 english, 1 maths and 2 chinese topical test.

No science tested

Just when I am looking forward to my son joining jie jie in 2013. Aiyo the P1- P2 from 2013 - 2014 will be reallocated to a temp site due to upgrading in school. sob sob my kids will not meet in school and I have to run 2 sites

hi chicken little, noted on your info about the papers. huh? P1 n P2 different location? My kids school will also relocate next year. quite a distance from my home, unlike current one, just downstairs few blocks away nia.

Jh, can i have the password and also where can i get the tickets? Will check with DS if he is keen to go.

Now I am looking at the children flim shows from BigEyes,BigMinds http://www.bigeyesbigminds.com/ which will be screened here in May too.

Nat - Woodland or Sembawang huh? Me near u too.. but on non-sch days. :p

Hi justjazz, me in sembawang
happy.gif

nat,
i sent the sc papers to you already that Ling has scanned. pls check. if you need the answers, i will send separately again when i take back my boy's papers (he handed up to teacher already).

RE: kids wearing specs
i feel that i have failed my kids!
sad.gif

hi fz, yes, jus recevied your email. for my ds science papers, i did not blanco off the answers because i remb 1 mummy was saying wanna see how the qn is being answered.

you don't feel that you've failed you kids. just try your best and is never late to work hard now.
happy.gif

hi FZ,
Now wearing specs is v common. My dd said 40% of her class wears specs. Next time they can go for Lasik so don't feel bad.

science paper
Dd still has not got back from school her science test. Seems like she only has science. Other subjects no test.

just jazz

that science talk only for p3 parents. p6 parents not present

the excuse was there're only 5 periods of Science each week, time is tight. When asked why only 5 peiods, hod replied that's moe guideline. Yet school doesn't offer supplementary classes. So only scrap through the syllabus also bo chap? no wonder whole class failed!

hint hint parents to coach at home or send for external enrichments

fz

my dd2 wears spec since k2. Found out her degree increased again during last month eye screening in school.
my dd1 started wearing spec in p2. I guess unavoidable. Both dh & I are short sighted

dd2 started with 125 degree initially. I ignored it, didn't prescibe glasses for her. Common myth wear glasses, degree shot up even faster. So I tried not to delay putting one on her since she said she can see clearly

But few months later, she told me she can't see that clearly so I got her a pair glasses. By then her degree increased again!

FZ - i share yr sentiments...very gek sim right?? Next week I will send my P3 gal to orthodontist to examine her teeth and see if braces are needed. Another "failure" feeling..I think cos they were born "perfect" with perfect eyesight, perfect teeth..but now eye problems, teeth problems..as if we did not do a proper job to maintain the "perfection"..while I will be upset, I also nag at my kids..ask them..why they did not do this and that, if they had done this and that, their eyes and teeth would be perfect. hubby said I sound so ridiculous..i know lah..but still upset..now I must learn to see beyond their "imperfections" and remind them to take care of their health and bodies..now I truly understand the meaning of 身体发肤,受之父母,不敢毁伤,孝至始也

CL, Natellehcim,
So qiao, my dd's school also relocating to temp next year and will be there till end 2013 ....now I headache abt the student care and childcare arrangement.

fz, bebe75,
I share both your sentiments too ...took me several days to accept that dd1 needs to wear specs at such young age ... been wondering is it I never do a proper job or my genes no good??!!!!

bebe75, cookiepie,
yes! that is exactly my feelings! my K1 has not even turn 5 (yr end kiddo) and his eyes spoil already!
sad.gif

i told my boy never to go and get permanent big tattoos when he grows up.....don't break my heart. :p

yawnyawn,
my ds1 needed specs in P2; then was 125degree. last dec went to check, shot up to >300; he said no wonder he kept cleaning his specs and wonder why it remain blur. both me and my dh also wearing specs. but shockingly the age to wear specs are getting younger!

thanks all mummies for the consolation.

Yawn,
How's the school PSLE science results? If so many children fail science, it will affect the school ranking. 5 periods are really not sufficient. I let my gal does the assessments, she has difficulty answering those questions that require application and analysis. I feel it's exam tactic that we need to teach, on top of factual science knowledge.

Maisy
RE Science
Even if my boy gets the concept correct but if any one part is not expressed fully, marks will be deducted. Writing average 6 lines or more for a 2 marks question will not be effective if he goes to upper primary. i think all schools should hold science talks for parents.

Mummies,
For compre, for questions with 'Why', does your kid still write 'it is because' or go straight to the point? and for question like 'what did Muthu do before he went for dinner'; answering 'He took a bath' is it sufficient or must write 'He took a bathe before he went for dinner'? My old teaching is to reply all in full sentences, but i wonder if it is redundant.
Thanks!

hi fz, think different sch different style bah. I've check w my ds, he told me they cannot indicate "It is because..." or our olden days ".....because.....". They need to answer straight to the point. If see 'because' this word in the answer, they will be marked straight X. I noticed his enrichment center also teaches in such way already.

natellehcim,
oic. thanks. different sch different standard...headache....sometimes don't know if I am even teaching the correct things. :p

Natellehcim
Re "because", ya it is also forbidden in my gals' sch. I wrote to the teacher and said she said it was discouraged cos the kids has to get the answer straight to the point. I begged to differ lor..so long as the sentence is grammatically correct.."It is because..." can also answer straight to the point too. As I did not want to confuse my gal, I told her to follow the teachers.

Maisy Daisy
Same, I also find my gal knows the science concept well..but when come to application and analysis..she fares poorly cos she cannot apply and answer in context. I think this is one area which I also need to learn ie looking at the answer sheets. That is why for MCQ question..no pbm for her..her killing part is the written one..and I must remind her to learn her spelling so that she can save as much marks as possible.

Test - my gals came back with the topical test that they did during the month..so far, they did well..but the questions were also not very challenging, basically just testing the concepts and applications. If only the actual exams were as easy as these tests...

FZ -
re Tattoos
I wanted to get one for myself but no courage..also scared my parents will kill me.. ha ha..but if my kids wanna do it, I will not disapprove so long as they consult me..ha

The other day, my P2 gal came and said..wow, mummy now I can see the time on our wall clock after I put on my glasses..last time I always see blur blur so I dunno the time...*ALAMAK*...all along I thought she does not know how to read my wall clock cos there were no "number" marking..now then I realise it was cos she couldn't see the hour and minute hands. I think kids at this age does not understand that it is NOT OK to see blur vision. With glasses..she realises that the world can be that CLEAR!!

No wonder she does not like to watch channel 8 (unlike my P3 gal) drama serial..cos she could not see the subtitles and did not understand the show..

Hi natellehcim,
I am sorry that I can't give you the science paper yet. My son had return the paper before I could scan it. I wait for him to get the paper back.

To all mummies,
Does your kid need to stay back for extra lessons?

Actually, starting for this term, my son needs to stay back every tuesday and wednesday. But from next term onwards, he even has to stay back on thursday.

Tuesday- Chinese
Wednesday- Mathematics
Thursday- English

I am keeping my finger cross as I am afraid there is one more coming- Science.

Is the school already preparing them to build a good foundation for the PSLE?

I am puzzled why only 2 classes and not every class doing the same.

Yen Ling
Yes, my gal started staying back for classes since this yr..twice a week. One for Higher Chinese supplementary and the other for English remedial. Next month, there will be computer lessons held in the afternoon for 2 weeks..so she will have to stay back until 5pm..gonna be a long day for her. I am not sure if I wanna her to come home and rest before going back to sch or she rather stays in sch and does her work. She told me the library closed at 4pm..aiyoh..then I asked her where else can she do her work, she said canteen. I do not like the canteen, not ideal place for study since there will be many kids hanging around there chatting and playing. Hiaz...

I was told that in the sch, only 2 types of students will be asked to attend extra classes - either the very good one (suppl), or the very weak one (remedia). Last time, I requested my gal to join their remedial classes but was rejected cos the teacher wanted to maintain low student ratio (abt 10-12 per class).

I cant imagine the number of hours they have to spend in sch in P4 next year, there will be CCA activities and projects etc. Perhaps by then, I shd train my gal to take public transport herself??

My gal came back the other day with a profile assessment report and it said that she is a tactile learner. When she took the survey, she indicated that she liked to study with company. I appreciate the school for conducting assessment like this..at least now I know her learning style and can adopt appropriate measures to coach her efficiently. Now I realise that if I sit besides her and get her to do assessment (I no need to teach/guide her), she can do it properly..otherwise she will anyhow attempt or just stare at the pages for hours without trying. How to train her to do it independently then??? Like that, I also got problem entrusting her to stay back in school to revise work on her own.

Yen ling and Bebe,
Are the extra classes are conducted by their school teacher or outside vendors? Dd's school has no sup class. Only remedial class during sch hols for students that score below low band 2. I asked her teacher and she said the school does not have the policy of conducting supplementary lessons outside school hours for P3/P4. Only this week, she stay back 4 times a week for 2 excursions and CCA. I'm not sure no extra lessons is consider a blessing or not. Good thing is I can give her homework to target her weaker subject since she's quite free in the afternoon. But on the other hand, she will dilly dally and day dream as I'm not home. Is it a norm for Higher Chinese to have additional class? Dd school is SAP school but has no extra chinese lesson outside school hr.

CL, maisydaisy,
have sent u de password.

JustJazz,
havent sent u pw cos u dun receive pm. pls pm me.

my gal's also in SAP sch. remedial classes r for those wif low grades; a few fm each class. heard dat those who has improved during de recent common tests were 'released' n new ones who din do well were 'recruited'.

RE Extra classes
My boy so far only need to stay back on Monday for 'PAL' lessons where they learn team building stuff and dance. Last month they had a 4 week Robotics workshop on Wed, so that was twice a week stay until after 4pm. Last year's PTM, we were informed that they will need to stay back on Thurs for 'tutorials'. no information on what to expect yet although my boy said his FT said it is compulsory for whole class. Hope that the school really utilise these extra lessons well instead of using them to try to catch up with syllabus.

Actually I don't mind them staying back but I prefer excursions follow up by some projects based on the theme (museums, farms etc) or enrichment program (IT/robotics/science), rather than sit down do worksheet in the classroom. P3 is too young to be spending their youth on pure academics. I'm afraid they will get burn out before P6 is here.

Jh,
Thanks for sharing.

Jh, PM sent.

RE: Extra Classes
So far none for my son. Not sure if the school conduct or not. Currently my son stayed back in sch 2 times a week for his 2 CCAs. After CCAs at 5:15 - 6:15pm he would be playing with his friends until time to board for sch bus to come home. Our instructions to him is after lunch go to the library to do his homework after that he can do whatever he wants before his CCA starts.
He reached home at only 730pm, but then he was very tired already after dinner.

Hi mummies,
have you brought your kids to Pulau Ubin before? if so, is it worth the trip and easy to get around by bike?
thinking of 'cheaper' excursion ideas because my boy said he needs to write 'holiday journal' and he can't write anything much if we only go grandparent visiting during the holidays!

Hi mummies,
RE Kids Supplements
How many kinds of supplements does your kid take? My kids are taking 2 different kinds daily (Dha and multivit) and i wonder if adding one more (for vision) will it be too much or should u just cut off the multivit to replace with the eye supplement.

FZ - I hv never been Pulau Ubin, but hubby did tell me that bicycle riding in Pulau Ubin is quite dangerous for amatuer rider cos of the uneven landing, even a friend who is an iron man did say the same thing, unless u just ride along the main road.

I will be bringing my kids to Peek-a-boo playground at Kallang where they will be holding a coloring contest. Just let them let loose and have fun for a day. Actually wanted to bring them for kite flying but not sure of the weather.

Fz,

U can try the bring ur kid to the park/beach and maybe pitch tent, fly kite and pinic there. I am thinking of going to the Waterfront @ Woodland.

Last Dec sch holiday we went prawning session. 1 rods for 1 hours each is like $14, They have packages one, we took 4 hours package with 2 rods..i.e 1 rods 2 hours usage or u can get 4 rods for 1 hr each also. Depends. We tried that at Bottle Tree park in Yishun.

Now my DS is asking to go fishing.

Fz,

My son does not, but he occassionally snack on the Wolfberries which suppose to be good for eye-sight.

Just Jazz,
Where's the prawning place at Yishun? How do I get there? Sounds interesting.

FZ,
Sungei Buloh is nice but very far. We went there last holiday and saw many giant monitor lizards that's size of a mid size dog.

Vitamins:
My kids take DHA (fish oil) and multi vits.

Hi chicken little, i did not receive your email. The last received was from fz's science.

Hi justjazz no worry u can email once you've received.

Hi mummies who had emailed me the files, maybe i will send to you what i had received first, while waiting for other mummies. Give me sometime to go to my email n send to you. Just back in the afternoom from my dd's learning journey

hi mummies,
thanks for the suggestion.

waterfront woodlands and bottle tree park sounds good.

probably also bringing kids to go watch Mars need Mum.
happy.gif

Thanks for the info on bottle tree park. I just burnt my sat afternoon at Hort Park, collecting leaves, ferns samples for my gal's Young Botanist card. She can get a badge after she completes some of the activities.

Mummies,
Popular book fair is round the corner. I'm seriously considering a electronic dictionary for my gal. I read somewhere p3 can bring e dictionary into exam. She keeps asking me how to write certain words whenever she writes compo as she is too lazy to check dictionary.

Do you know which model is good?

Hi Mummies,

Wonder if anyone bring your kids to the 'Beyblade' event held at Plaza SIN this week?
Can anyone just participate in the competition?

hi mummies,
my K1 is going for his eye checkup tomorrow and i am kindof nervous. have you mummies tried Myovision before? thinking if it is worth the try for my K1 because if he really need glasses at this age, hope to slow down the myopia before he reach P1.

FZ

My P2 gal just started with the myovision..too early to tell if it is effective, but will have to go back to review every half yearly. Her degree jumped from 75/100 to 250+ and hence we decided to let her take the myovision. My P3 gal did the normal lens as her degree is around 150. According to my optician, myovision works only if the kid knows how to use the lens..apparently the kid has to look at the focal point of the lens so that he cannot look at the side of the len.

Hi bebe, my dd's degree is about 150 and the optician advised us to use normal lenses for her first pair of glasses and if need be to change to myovision for her next pair. Please give us your feedback after your gal has tried it out.

Oh mummies, is it advisable to wear glasses all the time or only wear it when require (e.g. reading, watching tv or copying from the white board)?

I do not wear glasses and according to my hubby, he said her degree is not high so just wear it when require.

Thanks.

Thanks bebe. don't think my K1 will know how to use. he still behaves like a baby.

Valerie,
my P3 used to wear specs only when watching tv or going to sch; then his degree jumped from 150 to 325. the optician said that the eyes are always yearning for higher degree and if the kid strain his eyes while not wearing specs, the degree will get worse.

hi, my ds also lazy to wear specs, so worry that his degree will jump. This is his first yr wearing specs. My family members have different opinion about wearing specs. The older generation will say don't keep wearing, degree will continue to climb if wear always. But my opinion is keep wearing so that you degree will not escalate too fast because of eyes straining.

On the other hand, I saw my nephew wear everyday but still jump from 250 to 400 leh.

Oh dear, really diff people diff view.

Fz, so your kid wears it all the time now..

nat, my dd is opposite, she seems interested to wear it all day. But my hubby is the one who stops her..

Back