(2002) Any 2002 babies?

Maisy Daisy,
This 'money' question uses the same concept as the 'number of legs' question. We use the number of legs question to explain first because the 'money' question's number is larger when converted to cents. Once my boy is familiar with the legs question, I move on to the 'money' question.

nataliecim,
my boy has a paper on 9may. seems like may be reschedule and we get to have one more day to revise. :D

Chicken Little,
Money Question:
16 coins that add up to $6.20. Some of them are 50-cent coins and the rest are 20-cent coins.

$6.20 = 620ct

Assume all 16 coins are 20ct,
16 x 20 = 320ct

620-320 = 300ct (means you still short of 300cts to meet to 620ct)

50ct – 20ct = 30ct
300 divide by 30 = 10 (means 10 coins needed for 50ct)

16 coins – 10 coins = 6 coins of 20ct

Legs Question:
Farm has 8 animals. Total 28 legs, consist of ducks (2 legs) and cows (4legs).

Assume all 8 animals are 2 legs,
8 x 2 = 16

28-16 = 12 (means you still short of 12legs to meet to 28legs)

4legs – 2legs = 2 legs
12 divide by 2 = 6 (means 6 animals with 4 legs)
[This step is the one you may face difficulty explaining to the child the rationale. I left it to my husband to explain]

8 – 6 = 2 animals with 2 legs

Check:
6x4=24
2x2=4
24+4=28

The 2nd method is call the 'Supposition Method' because we make an assumption. In the case above, we assume all the animals belong to one group, so the 'extra' legs will then belong to the second group.

Hi mummies,
My boy just went through chinese oral today. Came home with a bad throat and coughing. Worry that next few days may develop fever. haiz. hope he can recover over this long weekend.

FZ - give yr boy manaku honey..supposed to help on the onset of flu. Weather is very terrible these few days...one moment thunderstorm..next moment hot and humid...I had headaches even when I am staying at home..

Talking abt headaches - I supposed the stress of SA1 is another contributing factor. I dunno how come my gal not gan cheong abt SA1...it is as though I am the one taking the exam, not her. How good will that be if I can take exam on behalf of her...

I am running out of time trying to complete revision with her..I think the sch teachers are in the same situation..esp Chinese, lots of catch up work to do during this long weekend. My gal was given the past year mock exam paper ytdy but she said they hv not finished doing their chinese activity books.

I am more worried abt her science. I only see worksheets once a week..and looking at her textbook make me worried. If I were to ask her to read only the textbook..she will flunk!!! I think Young Scientist is even more informative than her Science textbook. The science note given by the sch is equally useless..cos my gal highlighted everything!!! She cannot tell where is the key points. I hv to come up with my own science own after referencing abt 2-3 guidebooks and assessment books myself

For Compo - Eng/Chinese - I told her to just write what she wants...if only she can piece her thoughts and give a complete flow. I think she can pass her Chinese compo, but dare not say the same for English. I hv to remind myself that compo only attribute 20%..she has to do well for the remaining 80% in order to pass the subject.

Oral and compo as well as listening compre will start next week..early May, the formal written paper for all subjects will begin and last all the way until 10 May. With the polling election day..prob it will delay by another day or 2.

I can't wait for the whole ordeal to finish..not expecting too much from her this time..only wish she can pass.

Hi mummies
How's ur kids SA1 preparation going on?? My gal like take it very easy.... Hope to clear all her SA1 past year paper before exam

Hi mummies,
I had stopped core subjects revision these two weeks to focus on Oral exam and Compo. Compo is this coming week. With the pile of homework for this long weekend, can't do much. Still need to stay back for school on Monday. Compo exam starts in Thurs.

Same as Fz, a lot of homework over the weekend. My gal spent the whole day doing her thick stack of math worksheet. Also have chinese and Berries homework. She is learning new math topic, ''money" now. V tedious a lot of thinking n calculation. By the time she finishes homework and I check, only a bit of time to go through oral briefly. Even I'm v tired .... Can't wait for school hol. Anyone looking at hol program?

fz, maisy daisy,
I was practising chinese oral with gal yesterday. Couldn't finish 1 picture even after 1 hour. She has problem stringing the events together using connectors and tell whether an act is right or wrong. Do you have any good oral guide books to recommend?

Jolene and Bebe75: My son is also very relaxed. My hubby said it seems to be 3 persons taking the exam instead of 1. He is having his oral this wed. Cant rmb when is his compo writing dates. Must check tonight.

His exam begins on 10 May - 13 May.

Cookiepie: I juz bought a Chinese oral guide book yesterday from Popular. Showed to my son last night and it happened to be 1 of the recommended guide book his School Teacher has recommended. If you are keen, tonight I will check the title and let you know.

avrilf,
Thanks for offering to share the title of the oral guide book. Went compasspoint popular during the weekends, didn't see many guide books. Last year this time, they displayed the books prominently near the entrance.

Hmm... just got to know from my ds that he had CL oral today. Looks like gone case liao, he said the conversation part, he don't know how to talk because the topic or activity they asked he had not done before, he did not know how to continue with it. So just keep quiet.

Natellecim,
Fishing is very specific. Not many kids would have tried fishing before. Probably we must tell our kids that if such unfamiliar topic is brought up, they should try to talk about something that is link to fishing. For example, they could say they went to Bedok Jetty and saw people fishing. I think as long as the kid say 2-3 sentences, then the teacher will still give them marks.

cookiepie,
I'm still using P2 oral guide. Will need to buy the upper block oral for the kids. I just bought the Besta E-dictionary 2 weeks ago. There is a software in the e-dictionary name E-Tutor with Oral + conversation, from P1 to P6. I used some of the topics to practice with my kids.

Hi Maisy,
I told him this afternoon too, that he had gone for 'longkang' fishing during his kindy days..... and he said he forgot about it. Probably is their 1st time attempting such oral this year, so could be at lost. hahaha.. anyway is too late already. For CL, think probably his marks will be pulled down by oral and comp then.
sad.gif

I asked him if English have such conversation he said no, so at least no more surprises on that. Now EL listening compreh, a new thing like the Note Taking also poses a challenge to him. They have difficulty in listening and filling in the correct answers to the notice too.

cookiepie,
You can check out the oral book by Raffles Publications. I use that including those pictures from P1. I told my boy that the first thing he should do when looking at the picture is to group the pictures into little groups and then try to link which one should go first. Then after that then go through in his mind what he wants to say.

natellehcim,
fishing is a very 'cold' topic. very difficult. my boy is quite lucky. his topic is on picnic which we have covered the night before. but when the teacher asked him how he can show consideration towards others, he got stunned by the word 'consideration' in mandarin and went quiet. told him that next time he should clarify with teacher what is the meaning. my boy gasped when i told him what topic your kid got for oral. I told him that he should say 'no' then move on to say he would like to go fishing and what equipment should he buy and that he should hope for good weather and keep a lookout for no fishing sign etc. that is on hindsight la. really a difficult topic.

RE compo
I intend to sign up for Mindstretcher Toolbox. I realised that although my boy's better spoken/written language is English, he writes better for his Chinese compo because berries has a structured programme to teach them how to write (that includes memorization). his english compo is rather poor with disjointed ideas. He is a bit resistant because if i sign him up for this, his only free weekdays afternoon will be only Wednesday! Monday he has PAL programme, tues and fri CCA and this writing programme is Thurs. so stress....

My girl's chinese oral is about sibling fighting. Ha ha I told my girl she should score quite well since they fight every day every other hour

Natellehcim: My son has that topic during his P2 English oral. He also said no and kept quiet. Told him even if he has not tried before, he can say he would like to try it and it might be fun,etc.

Chicken Little: Haha... how did your gal react?

Fz: I am also using the oral book from Raffles Publication.

Cookiepie: 华文口试一本通 for Pri 3-4 (A guide to chinese language oral skills for intermediate level) Publisher: Raffles Publication. Cost: $6.90 from Popular.

Just realised my son's compo for both languages and listening compre are tested on the same day which is this coming friday. so stress as short of time to teach.

avrilf,
I am also using 华文口试一本通 for Pri 1-2 because I realised that my boy is nervous when the pictures are too simple because he said there is nothing special to say and dunno what to say if the pictures are too simple. He has 'birthday party' for english picture discussion and
conversation. he complained that the picture discussion has nothing much to say because only has one girl with a cake, a mother and someone tripping.

4 papers in one day?! if some one MC, then will miss all 4 papers in one shot!

avrilf
ha ha she says it was easy peasy but of course she says she only mention what mummy says I must give in or i will report to mummy instead of fighting.

Then say it is not right to fight. She mention she cannot spoil her image in front of teacher so cannot admit she is like that too. Ha ha I laughed till rolled.

Fz, birthday party is in the oral buddy. So I think oral buddy is good.

Today crossing finger for her compo as she lack good plot and storyline.

Mummies,
Thanks for your recommendations on the oral guide books. Will check them out at popular, in preparation for SA2, hahaa...it is not really that far away. Dd having chinese oral today.

Time really flies, dd missed her CA1 due to chicken pox and now SA1 is just 2 weeks away.

chicken little,
Your gal is so cute. My 2 kids also quarrel all the time - over a pencil or eraser or just irritate each other over a trivial matter.

Can't wait for SA1 to be over and done with.

think siblings rival is very common in almost every family bah. my kids also like that. Elder one like to boss around the younger one, while the younger one dislike and will feel irritated and that's how the quarrels and fights starts.

Chicken Little: She is so cute. Implying she is a good sister to the teachers.

fz: If someone on MC, i think they will re-take the exam.

My son juz did NSW's Science paper today. Still have 2 more to go.

avrilf,
If i remember correctly from last circular issued, there is no retaking of papers for my boy's school. my boy took the science ICAS today. he said very tough. a very smart boy in his class said very easy. i told him that from the sound of it, looks like that boy is very likely gonna get through GEP and transfer out (previously my boy went to prenursery class with this same boy for quite some time and the teachers already said this boy is gifted). my boy was like 'ahhhhh!!!' because he likes to hang around that boy. hahaha....

Jolene,
I don't think the teachers will fail the students if they can say something. my boy said the teacher will prompt and give more than 1 question to answer for converstaion topic.

Juz had a conversation w ds he told me the chinese oral free conversation, most of his classmates are being asked question after question. Don't seem like all are speaking continously base on the 1st qn leh!

My gal ended her Oral for both Eng and Chinese yesterday. I did not practise with her, as she told me her teachers gave them some practice last week.
Today she is having Eng and Chinese Compo. I did not go thru with her too much..only ask her to write within context, check grammar and spelling..and read at least 3 times after writing.

FZ
My gal also has better spoken English..but when come to writing, her chinese compo is way much better than English. I cannot understand why. Her chinese compo is more complete and readable..the flow is there..as for English compo...no words to comment..

fz: I rmb the recent CA, my son mentioned the teacher has to wait for the students to retest 1st before giving back the results.

I tried to practise Oral with my son. Think I scolded him several times cos he cant describe the picture properly. Really hope he can pass today's oral.

Everyone so busy with exam prep. Got time to attend rallies?

I gave up coaching oral. She got upset. I got angry. Told dd 'just make sure you say something'

re: Election
Timing is not so good for parents as it's exam period. Most likely will watch rally from TV at home.

Oral just ended today. My gal say it's quite easy. It's scenes from the classroom and home.

Re Eng Compo
My boy came out of school with a big smile. Good news is that the compo is similar to one model essay that i told him to read up yesterday. He said he finished the story in 30min time (out of 50min). Came home and hear him in details, bad news is that he only managed to remember a few good phrases in that model essay, one of which he spelled wrongly. quite wasted....
Hope tomorrow's MT compo he will have such luck too.

mummies,
tell you all an embarrassing thing.
just now the opposition party member did a walkaround the block and giving out pamphlets door to door. after shaking the person's hand and took over the leaflet and said bye, i turned around and told my husband, it is the SDP. then i flipped the leaflet over and saw NSP logo! whahahaha......
the PAP lady running for our GRC is pushing for something related to SAHP. in her leaflet, she mentioned about her belief that SAHP should enjoy same childcare subsidies as FTWP. i hope she can push for and be a voice for this group of people if the party really managed to stay in power.

Exam and GE time! A very busy period indeed!
My dd's SA1 starts this Wednesday, and will end on 10 May with Science. But last night had a heart attack - she came down with a 38.8 degrees fever which subsided this morning. Which got me into jitters. What happened if she fell sick during the SA1 while doing the exams? So, I had been asking her to take things easy today, so she did almost zero revision, much to her elation!

Linette,
Keeping healthy is more important. Ya despite exam period and need to revise, I make sure dd sleeps by 9.30pm latest. Cos few times she slept at 10pm, the next day she had a fever and missed school. It won't be too healthy to stress them too much.

Linette, Maisy,
I agree that taking care of the child's health is very important. For this long weekend, revision had stopped at dinner time and my son will go to bed by 9pm. Don't wanna stress him out. Thurs and Fri two papers, then next week another 2 papers. Although MT exam is next week, we spent some time this afternoon finishing up the assessment book (he left 2 lessons) in case i fall sick and unable to revise with him. hahah...think i more stress than him. told my husband that i wanna go for a nice dinner buffet with just him as soon as the exams are over! any good nice buffet to recommend? preferably in west although central still will consider. condition is must have oyster!

My gal is having sore throat now..gotta remind her to drink more water and rest more so that she is fit to take exam this thurs..she will be taking Eng and Science paper on thurs n Fri. She is super stress by Science..hiaz
Her MT and Maths will be next week..and after she is done..it will be my younger gal's turn..hopefully my stamina can last till then..

bebe75,
during oral exam week, i gave my son pi pa gao daily and strepsils daily. one in the morning before he leaves for school and i put one in his wallet to be taken every recess. ours is english and math this thurs n fri.

Jiayou mummies,
final lap this week to chiong for exam next week or some who starts tomorrow.

I think this round I am so bo chup, usually by last week and this week, I would be doing papers and completed revision.

But I am hugging buddha leg last min with my daughter. Still going through the revision with her and realised we have so many incomplete assessment except for Chinese as there was test after every 2 chapters.

And hb book hard rock hotel and we are going USS this coming Sat. Destress before exam ???
Good luck to me that I can squeeze all stuff in within these 3 days.

Hello mummies,

I'm getting confused over leggies!!!! Can anyone help with this question:

Jane has 12 pets which consists of birds and rabbits. All the rabbits have 36 more legs than all the birds. How many of her pets are birds?

Thanks in advance.

Jolene/FZ - thanks.. I prepared green bean barley n honey drink for her these few days, stopped her from snacking biscuits/crackers. So far, only sore throat n no fever, so still ok.

I also Bo chup the revision until last week when my gal cried cos she has no confidence of passing Science. Told her, we will try to revise as much as possible, no point crying Liao.

hi mummies,
i'm getting kan cheong as time passed. I'm not able to find much time and chance to revise w my ds. Since last week the school had given them alot of homework eg testpapers or practise papers. He is busying trying to complete them to hand up. Suppose to be good, but I wonder if done, how much can the teacher finished marking or go through all of them, seeing exam is approaching.

Hi cookiepie,
is similar to the money qn that was asked earlier. for the qn

Firstly you need to know bird has 2 legs, rabbits 4 legs... so you assume the max qty of pets goes to the birds. Hence, 12 x 2 = 24 legs

to meet the total 36 legs you need (36-24 = 12) more legs. this can only applies to the 4-legged animals.

the difference b/w rabbits and birds (4-2=2). Thus you will need 12 divide 2 = 6 rabbits

Finally, 12 pets - 6 rabbits = 6 birds.
----------------------------------------------
Another visual method, is you draw 12 circles which represents 12 animals. then you draw 2 sticks (as legs) on each circle, and it comes to only 24 legs. then ask you girl to draw 2 more sticks on the exisiting circles that will results in 36 legs in total, meaning you need to draw on 6 circles only because 12 more legs required. from the picture you will be able to count how circles having 2 sticks only, which represent the birds.
-------------------------------------
Hope my explanation helps.

Hi natellechim,

I also used this method to solve the question but couldn't get the answer.

6 rabbits = 6x4 = 24 legs
6 birds = 6x2 = 12 legs
It doesn't fit the description in question which says that all the rabbits have 36 legs more than all the birds. If I go by trial and error, the answer is 10 rabbits (40 legs) and 2 birds (4 legs), so difference is 40-4=36 legs. But trial and error method is too time consuming. Wondering if there is an alternative way to solve this question.

Back