Recent miscarriage support

Starz88, I totally understand the feeling to a point I don't even want to attend baby showers. What makes things worse is 2 of my bff are preg, of all time when I lost mine. N they were not showing empathy at all (even before they were preg). In a way I found out who my true friends are. At least u still have friends acknowledging u are brave. And u indeed are! Hope u will have the rainbow baby soon!
Sters ur frens could be overwhelm n excited over their new borns..they are afterall not us. They wont be able to understand. Nv mind give u a pat. Jiayou.

Sters ur frens could be overwhelm n excited over their new borns..they are afterall not us. They wont be able to understand. Nv mind give u a pat. Jiayou.
Thanks starz88, hmm.. I agree with u, they don't understand what we do thru. Hence the lack of sensitivity and empathy. Nvm I am glad I have my family and the remaining friends and this forum!

Hello everyone..

Yesterday I found out that my baby's heartbeat stopped 4 weeks ago, at week 7, shortly after my previous ultrasound. It was a silent miscarriage, therefore I still had pregnancy symptoms. Every time I had my morning sickness, I told myself as long as baby is healthy, I will suffer through it. Now I know I've suffered for nothing for a month...

As we drove home, I noticed that my husband was tearing uncontrollably as he drove and it really pained my heart. This is our first baby, after trying for a year. I'm 33 this year and he is 34... I really don't know why this is happening to us. It seems so unfair.

I'm going in tomorrow for the procedure - evacuation of the uterus... Baby is dead for 4 weeks already, better to remove it surgically. I'm scared of the pain and bleeding after the procedure, but what I'm even more worried about is conceiving thereafter. But worry doesn't help anything. This is the card I'm dealt with. Life goes on. I have to go on.

I'll have to go through confinement as well. According to my family, I have to be confined for about 2 weeks. It's really xian to think about it even. This is really a test of our perseverance... May time pass quickly.

:(

So sorry for your loss. Yes, pls do mini confinement... Don't blame yourself for what had happened. I've been thru it and I know how it feels, it will take some time for you to get better, it's almost impossible to to get over or forget, but remember time will make you feel better and the next time when you are pregnant again, the feeling is magical. Take good care of your health and don't lose hope.

Thanks starz88, hmm.. I agree with u, they don't understand what we do thru. Hence the lack of sensitivity and empathy. Nvm I am glad I have my family and the remaining friends and this forum!

Hello Sters,

People can, and will say, stupid and insensitive things. Doesn't matter if their intention is good or not... We can't blame our friends for their lack of empathy. A miscarriage is something you have to go through to understand how sad and dark it really is... I thought I would be fine. But the moment I'm alone, even during my toilet break, my tears will just roll down my face. The moment lights are out, down the tears came. I have always been a very strong and resilient person when I deal with life, but this is just too heartbreaking for me...

So you are not alone!

So sorry for your loss. Yes, pls do mini confinement... Don't blame yourself for what had happened. I've been thru it and I know how it feels, it will take some time for you to get better, it's almost impossible to to get over or forget, but remember time will make you feel better and the next time when you are pregnant again, the feeling is magical. Take good care of your health and don't lose hope.
Thank you krissyun...

Hello Sters,

People can, and will say, stupid and insensitive things. Doesn't matter if their intention is good or not... We can't blame our friends for their lack of empathy. A miscarriage is something you have to go through to understand how sad and dark it really is... I thought I would be fine. But the moment I'm alone, even during my toilet break, my tears will just roll down my face. The moment lights are out, down the tears came. I have always been a very strong and resilient person when I deal with life, but this is just too heartbreaking for me...

So you are not alone!

Ya you are right, coz we can't control what others say or behave. You will be fine soon. Time really can heal everything. Jia you! Thank you!!!

We feel u. Hugz.

Hello Sters,

So you are not alone!

@Vespertine sorry about your loss.
did my evacuation too 2 weeks ago, today is the end of my 2 week mini confinement.
i think the 2 weeks was helpful, to allow me to rest well and "bu qi".
i was lucky to have my mil preparing simple confinement food for all my meals.
i could feel the difference, as usually if i eat too much heath food, my throat will start feeling sore..
but for the past 2 weeks, with the amount of longan red dates drink and the food cooked with lots of ginger and DOM, i am surprised that my throat is still feeling fine. so it seems like it really helps the body to recover well.

make use of these 2 weeks to rest well, settle down all your thoughts...
i continue to read about pregnancy...i am getting really OLD, but am feeling more determined and hopeful to get pregnant once more.. but must remind self not to be overly stressed lah...

these 2 weeks will past, jiayou!

@Vespertine sorry about your loss.
did my evacuation too 2 weeks ago, today is the end of my 2 week mini confinement.
i think the 2 weeks was helpful, to allow me to rest well and "bu qi".
i was lucky to have my mil preparing simple confinement food for all my meals.
i could feel the difference, as usually if i eat too much heath food, my throat will start feeling sore..
but for the past 2 weeks, with the amount of longan red dates drink and the food cooked with lots of ginger and DOM, i am surprised that my throat is still feeling fine. so it seems like it really helps the body to recover well.

make use of these 2 weeks to rest well, settle down all your thoughts...
i continue to read about pregnancy...i am getting really OLD, but am feeling more determined and hopeful to get pregnant once more.. but must remind self not to be overly stressed lah...

these 2 weeks will past, jiayou!

Hi @themoontints

Thanks for that.. I'm really depressed. Every now and then, I will keep crying.. Can't help it.

I take this mini confinement as a period to grieve and mourn. I tell myself, after this, I'll start afresh and get back to work.

So you only did 2 weeks? My mum and mil keep insisting a month... I don't mind but I really want to go take a walk to clear my mind, which isn't possible during the confinement. :(

@Vespertine
i fully understand how you are feeling, i wasn't able to accept it too that my baby was not alive inside me for three weeks and all the while i kept thinking i was still pregnant until week 12.
yes, go ahead grieve and mourn, but after that it's really about moving on.

mini confinement, actually 2 weeks should be enough according to my tcm sinseh...
maybe you can let your mum and mil know, 2 weeks confined at home, then continue to eat the confinement food for as long as you can tahan...until you think you are getting too heaty...if not you will end up sick instead.

@themoontints

Your situation is similar to mine.. I had no miscarriage symptoms too. In fact my morning sickness was so severe! I kept telling myself as long as baby is healthy, it'll be worth it.. Alas..

It's day 5 of my confinement, will be seeing tcm tomorrow. I really hope 2 weeks is enough! I want to get back to work. I have too much free time now so I keep tearing up. My husband seems to have moved on already, and that makes me feel worse, like I've been behind in the land of grieve. I want to move on too...

By the way ladies.. Can I know what symptoms u all experienced after your d&c? I was told of the usual - mild cramps and bleeding, similar to period, which shouldn't last more than 4-5 days.

My cramps only happen in the evenings, along with some pelvic and hip muscle ache, just like my period.. My bleeding has become brown discharge. I'm at day 5 after my procedure.

However, yesterday, my breasts felt really painful. Idk if this is what engorgement feels like, this is my first pregnancy, but my breasts feel hard and lumpy and very sore. Anyone of you felt similar pain? I was at week 11 when I did my d&c..

Thanks in advance!

@Vespertine
i think guys have their own way of dealing and also depends on how expressive they are…my hub no doubt was as sad as me too…but guess he probably dun wan me to continue feeling depressed, plus guys mindset would be to put everything behind and just look forward, so i feel this is normal…
how i cope is i just continue reading about pregnancy stuff and shared what i saw with my hub, slowly we started talking about how we gonna handle our next pregnancy blah blah…i personally think it helps when both hub n wife open up and talk about it naturally…

yup, i got similar symptoms too, and one day i felt my breasts hard and painful too, according to my mil (who had miscarriage once), she said it's normal because our breasts were already starting to condition themselves.. in the end, it lasted a few days and then no more pain anymore.

dun worry, everything will be back to normal.. and just reserve a small corner of your heart for your dear little one, he/she will know.
our little ones will definitely want us to move on. :)

Yes I also agree guys have their own ways to deal with the loss. I also thought my husband had moved on until one day I realized he is feeling worst than me. So we must not forget to show them concern as well. Dun feel alone, ur husband is in this with u.

Ladies on this thread, can I ask usually how long mc r u given after miscarriage? i was given 3 days by a and e in kkh. I asked for longer till mid next week but was refused citing it's a long weekend n I'm fit for work on Monday.

Ladies on this thread, can I ask usually how long mc r u given after miscarriage? i was given 3 days by a and e in kkh. I asked for longer till mid next week but was refused citing it's a long weekend n I'm fit for work on Monday.
Hi last_min, I was given 2 weeks mc by nuh when I did my procedure and I was almost 13 weeks then.

Hi @last_min

Your request for a longer mc should not be denied! How you feel is very important, and no medical staff should deny you that. What has the long weekend got to do with your state of health? I suggest you extend. And if the nurse or doctor refuses, just ask them if they are willing to be responsible should you feel sick at work.

Thanks for your advice. I didn't do any procedure. Went into a and e on Tues, doc gave me mc for the rest of the week, 3days meaning Tues, wed n thurs only. I don't work weekend n pH. Right now still not gd. Hope I be better tomorrow . No chance of mini confinement. Those who can, take the chance to rest n recover. Physically n emotionally.

By the way ladies.. Can I know what symptoms u all experienced after your d&c? I was told of the usual - mild cramps and bleeding, similar to period, which shouldn't last more than 4-5 days.

My cramps only happen in the evenings, along with some pelvic and hip muscle ache, just like my period.. My bleeding has become brown discharge. I'm at day 5 after my procedure.

However, yesterday, my breasts felt really painful. Idk if this is what engorgement feels like, this is my first pregnancy, but my breasts feel hard and lumpy and very sore. Anyone of you felt similar pain? I was at week 11 when I did my d&c..

Thanks in advance!
I didnt feel any cramps at all after both my dnc. However my bleeding drags till my menses came during my last dnc. Only aft menses when its entirely stop. This is contray to my first dnc when bleeding stops aft 1 wk.

I was given 2 wks hospitalisation leave.

Hi.. I just found out yesterday that my baby heartbeat stopped during week 8. I was bleeding the week before and went to hospital there was still heartbeat then....
we were trying very hard to get #2...
I feel frustrated that there is no information on how much a D&C cost (only avg cost at moh website.) and also why it cant be covered under hospitalization plans..
the good thing was my gynae was very sympathetic and gave me a week HL for me to decide when to do the D&C.

Dear macam, take the time to cope with it emotionally. Your body may realise that the pregnancy is not alright n pass out whatever is inside like very bad menstruation. At this point, u need to literally pick out the pregnancy sac that yr body passed out if u want to send it for testing or ask the doc if this is it. If yr body did a clean job then no need for the procedure. Thats my case.

I don't know if it's applicable to you since it varies from ppl to ppl n stage of pregnancy. From yr info above, yr pregnancy was more along the way.

I understand from my gyne that even if u pick up the sac n send for testing,it could likely be contaminated so not accurate for testing. If u need further tests, can consult ur doc.. whats the most appropriate mtd.

Thanks.. I rather that my baby did not have a heartbeat to begin with then I would be more prepared. however during the checkup 2 weeks back I was suspecting that the heartbeat was slightly slower compared to #1. I think its true, until you have experience it yourself then you will understand how it really feels.. when i look in the mirror I can see my pregnancy bump... i still feel MS symptoms...
I was in shock so I cant remember if its D&C or D&E that my gynae mentioned. also I did not bother to seek 2nd opinion as my gynae is quite experienced.... since it also can be done at mt alvernia Im assuming its D&E...

Hello @macam

So sorry to hear about your loss. I googled that a d&c at parkway health costs just around $1k... Although it was cheap, I still did mine at my gynae' clinic. I trust my gynae more and I didn't want different doctors attending to me. I intend to stick to this same gynae as I try to conceive again. All pregnancy-related procedures cannot be claimed, unless specific complications like ectopic pregnancy and preeclampsia.

I was in similar situation. My baby's heart stopped for one month before I found out on ultrasound.. Throughout the month, my placenta was still growing and giving out hormones and my morning sickness was very bad. I stayed home for the entire month, telling myself the suffering was worth it for my baby... Alas, my baby already died.

And now, I have to go through confinement, got to stay home again. I wonder why my life has changed so much, from extreme joy to extreme sadness.

After your d&c, your pregnancy symptoms will disappear very quickly..

Take care.

Hello Vespertine,

i hope you are able to seek solace in family & friends even though they will not be able to truly understand how it really feels.

Take care too. Very Sorry for your loss.

i came across this and thought of sharing..
“A star falls from the sky and into your hands. Then it seeps through your veins and swims inside your blood and becomes every part of you. And then you have to put it back into the sky. And it's the most painful thing you'll ever have to do and that you've ever done. But what's yours is yours. Whether it’s up in the sky or here in your hands. And one day, it'll fall from the sky and hit you in the head real hard and that time, you won't have to put it back in the sky again.”

That's so nice... @macam

Yes I have a good support network. But ultimately my husband has been amazing. Being strong for me and even cracking silly jokes to make me smile. I accidentally saw his Hp msg last night and saw that he told a friend that he's very out of sorts and can't seem to get on with daily life properly.. I felt so sad that he has to be so strong for me but suffering inside..

I decided that I must move on. My grief has a deadline... I must be strong and cheerful for my husband too. We are a team.

i came across this and thought of sharing..
“A star falls from the sky and into your hands. Then it seeps through your veins and swims inside your blood and becomes every part of you. And then you have to put it back into the sky. And it's the most painful thing you'll ever have to do and that you've ever done. But what's yours is yours. Whether it’s up in the sky or here in your hands. And one day, it'll fall from the sky and hit you in the head real hard and that time, you won't have to put it back in the sky again.”
Oh so touching I almost teared. :( I am sorry for your loss. You will have ur stars very soon!

That's really touching. Wish everyone a speedy recovery n catch yr stars in due time. I'm back to work n being overwhelmed with the backlog. Take care.

That's really touching. Wish everyone a speedy recovery n catch yr stars in due time. I'm back to work n being overwhelmed with the backlog. Take care.
Sometimes is good to be busy, take your mind off. But also remember to rest and eat well!

I had a miscarriage more than a month ago.. My baby was 13 weeks, going 14. My water bag burst in the middle of the night. It woke me up but i had no idea it was water from my water bag. When i went to the hospital, there was no water in the water bag and my fetus's heartbeat has stopped. I was devastated.

After one month, i am coping well now. But sometimes i will think of him and whether i have done anything wrong during my pregnancy.

Can i ask you ladies when did your spotting stops? I couldn't distinguish whether it is my period or whether my spotting (due to the miscarriage) has yet to stop... I am quite paranoid. Want to "get well" asap so that i can try for the next one..

I had a miscarriage more than a month ago.. My baby was 13 weeks, going 14. My water bag burst in the middle of the night. It woke me up but i had no idea it was water from my water bag. When i went to the hospital, there was no water in the water bag and my fetus's heartbeat has stopped. I was devastated.

After one month, i am coping well now. But sometimes i will think of him and whether i have done anything wrong during my pregnancy.

Can i ask you ladies when did your spotting stops? I couldn't distinguish whether it is my period or whether my spotting (due to the miscarriage) has yet to stop... I am quite paranoid. Want to "get well" asap so that i can try for the next one..

I remember my spotting stops within 7-10 days. Hope u are coping well now.

I gone thru 2 ms. First ms spotting stops 7 days. 2nd ms spotting drag till menses come...only stop entirely aft menses ended. Menses usually comes abt a mth aft dnc..if u see heavy flow then its menses n not spotting..

Hi @Kellyhanz

Sorry to hear about your loss.

I was 11 weeks pregnant when I found out that my baby's heartbeat already stopped for a month. I did a d&c to remove the fetus and placenta.

My spotting lasted rather long. The first week was heavier, with red blood. Second week was dark brown discharge, and sometimes light brown.

From the internet I gathered that we should avoid sex for 14 days after the d&c. When my discharge became lighter on the 12th day, my husband and I had sex. There was no pain or discomfort, but the discharge became heavier. I went for a followup ultrasound few days later and my gynae said that everything looks fine, no infection, and we could start trying to conceive anytime we are ready (We didn't say we already started trying).

If you had a natural miscarriage, you probably do not need to wait as long as I did. Because after a d&c our cervix needs time to efface and close back. Inserting anything inside the vagina may cause infections.

Lastly, my gynae said it's possible and safe to conceive even before the first menses come. My tcm doctor also said the same thing. No higher chances of miscarrying again. It made me feel better. Hope this cheers you up too.

Hi all, just checking in after trying to catch up on work. Went to kkh for review. Doc didn't even do a body check. Just ask any pain, any more bleeding, chit chat, said report didn't show anything abnormal. Wait 3 months/periods before trying again. It's very common how over the age of 35 the quality of sperm or egg deteriorate a lot. Bye. Expensive discouraging chit chat session.
:(

I am wondering why my gynae said I have to wait 3 months before I can TTC again. im due for a review in a week time, but im also scared that will mc again if I ttc

My doc from nuh asked me to wait for 2 cycles before I start ttc. I don't think the chances of mc will increase if you ttc immediately after the procedure. The reason to wait for a few cycles is for better monitoring of ur cycle dates and maybe also for your body to 'rest and recover'.

thank you .... sigh, I have pcos which means my ms will need medication to regulate. more difficult to ttc I took 2 years for #1. another 2yrs for the one I mc.. hope it wont be another 2 more years before I really conceive.

Hi @Kellyhanz i had the same situation as you last may. I was 15 weeks and went to the loo one night and saw a pink-streaked mucus on the paper when I wiped. When I got back to bed, my water broke and wetted my whole bed and even top! Rushed to kkh n started bleeding a lot a lot. Baby had v strong heartbeat but died two days later. As I had a few big fibroids, I couldn't stop bleeding huge clots even after my D&C. It was a very sad and traumatizing time for my husband and me because it was our first pregnancy and we had conceived so easily two months after marrying. I had to do operation to remove fibroids and last month, after trying for a year, I was pregnant again. But sadly as I type this, I am waiting to miscarry or go for D&C again cos my sac is empty at eight weeks. It is very sad and demoralizing especially since he's 37 and I m 36 already. Dunno how we are going to conceive again at this age n each time, it will be a lot of fear and stress at every stage and scan. My gynae said that the sudden burst of waters could have been due to incompetent cervix although last year I had a very bad case of uti and back pain but ignored it cos I thought it was very common in pregnancy. :( I can't wait to close this chapter yet again. Frankly I m very sian of forever telling my bosses and family that I am expecting and then I vanish suddenly n go on hospital leave. And you ladies are so right. The friends who have never experienced such sad episodes will never understand you and will say things that are more hurting than helpful like "you are still young (I m not)" or "good things come to those who try hard".

Hi @Kellyhanz i had the same situation as you last may. I was 15 weeks and went to the loo one night and saw a pink-streaked mucus on the paper when I wiped. When I got back to bed, my water broke and wetted my whole bed and even top! Rushed to kkh n started bleeding a lot a lot. Baby had v strong heartbeat but died two days later. As I had a few big fibroids, I couldn't stop bleeding huge clots even after my D&C. It was a very sad and traumatizing time for my husband and me because it was our first pregnancy and we had conceived so easily two months after marrying. I had to do operation to remove fibroids and last month, after trying for a year, I was pregnant again. But sadly as I type this, I am waiting to miscarry or go for D&C again cos my sac is empty at eight weeks. It is very sad and demoralizing especially since he's 37 and I m 36 already. Dunno how we are going to conceive again at this age n each time, it will be a lot of fear and stress at every stage and scan. My gynae said that the sudden burst of waters could have been due to incompetent cervix although last year I had a very bad case of uti and back pain but ignored it cos I thought it was very common in pregnancy. :( I can't wait to close this chapter yet again. Frankly I m very sian of forever telling my bosses and family that I am expecting and then I vanish suddenly n go on hospital leave. And you ladies are so right. The friends who have never experienced such sad episodes will never understand you and will say things that are more hurting than helpful like "you are still young (I m not)" or "good things come to those who try hard".
Hi, I don't know what else to say to make you feel better except to give u a hug. *Sayang*

Hi @LadyP, i'm so sorry to hear that. I understand how u feel. It is not exactly a good feeling to announce your pregnancy then say you have a miscarriage. But, don't give up. Have you tried going for TCM? When i had a miscarriage, doctor also said i had a cervix incompetency. One week before i has my miscarriage, i suffered from uti. i went for a check up right away and was prescribed with medication. My gynae and the doctor at KKH said the miscarriage is not due to uti. I am now eating TCM and drinking youmeishu everynight, hoping it will help keep my next pregnancy. Never give up! At least you and your husband are able to conceive. I heard of couples who tried for years and cant conceive and even have to resort to ivf. Try TCM, build up your tummy for the next baby and try again! oh yah, and the old pple say try to avoid drinking cold drinks !! Jiayou!! :)

Hi @Kellyhanz thanks for your encouragement. Jiayou too! This is tragic to say but I am "glad" I found someone in Singapore who had the same experience as me. Hope I didn't offend you. It's just so hard to explain my first miscarriage to my friends or even family cos they never hear of water bags breaking so early. I can never forget the feeling of having all that warm liquid spill out. :(Cos this whole year I could only find such experiences in foreign forums. I was also at kkh last year but my gynae was adamant that it wasn't a cervical incompetence but more of "bacteria". He said it can come from anywhere and cause UTi. May I ask (and I m very sorry to bring back bad memories but I am a very pragmatic person and prefer to share than to hide and pretend nothing happened) if you experienced back ache before your water bag broke? My back had very weird radiating pains for a few days and we actually went to A&E and to our kkh gynae to do checks but they kept saying it's very common to have backache. Did your gynae advise you on doing cerclage the next time? My husband and I were naturally very unhappy with the doctors' diagnosis so we switched to gleneagles when we found out about this pregnancy last month. Alas it is also a short lived one. I may take tcm the next time then after this one (waiting to bleed or will do D&C). Did your gynae tell you when to try again and do you mind me asking how old are you? Hope we can stay in touch cos even my friends who have miscarried don't know much about PPROMs or incompetent cervix. Thank you! :p

Act come to think of it, I think I had my waterbag 'burst' also. I feel a gust of water come out and After that is bleeding everyday. However, my baby heartbeat remains strong but was abnormal which is why I terminate the pregnancy. :(

Act come to think of it, I think I had my waterbag 'burst' also. I feel a gust of water come out and After that is bleeding everyday. However, my baby heartbeat remains strong but was abnormal which is why I terminate the pregnancy. :(

Hi @Sters, sorry to hear that. Yours could have been a gradual leak of the amniotic sac. Mine was such a bad leak the sac was empty right away. When they sent me for the scan, instead of seeing black image which is the water, the scan was white. I didn't dare to see as it was so eerie but my husband told me sadly. Do you mind me asking how many weeks old your baby was? Sorry to be kaypoh. I thought we could just share our stories since we can't do anything about anything now. o_O

Hi @Sters, sorry to hear that. Yours could have been a gradual leak of the amniotic sac. Mine was such a bad leak the sac was empty right away. When they sent me for the scan, instead of seeing black image which is the water, the scan was white. I didn't dare to see as it was so eerie but my husband told me sadly. Do you mind me asking how many weeks old your baby was? Sorry to be kaypoh. I thought we could just share our stories since we can't do anything about anything now. o_O
Hi LadyP, I am glad to share. Sometimes as we talk about it, we feel better. My baby was around 12 weeks when the leak happens. I think you are right coz when I went for scan the gynae said that my water is getting lesser than normal. I agree. Don't see better I also can't bring myself to see the ultra sound screen when I do my last check before the procedure. My baby is very active.

LadyP, take care of your self. Do a mini confinement if you can if you can afford the leave. I had to go back to work the following week. U can see my older posts. So it's self discipline. To wear warm, avoid child drinks etc. Wear slippers to avoid walking on cold flooring at home.

Back