Premature babies support group

hi all,

Bee gor, is 米糊. like someone mentioned, brown rice dried & grind into powder.

juz 2 share wat i did..

i fed my bb nestle plain rice cereal for 1mth. adding 1 kind of veg (eg. carrot, broccoli, potato, all PUREED) in every 3 days - to monitor any allergy, if any. after 1mth, i give her nestle brown rice cereals. my mom will oso sun & grind the brown rice herself & feed her occassionally, also adding veg only.

i oso give her mash potato. boil the potato, use a sieve & press the potato, it'll come out like paste. then add bmilk into it & stir, then u hav freshly made mashed potato. sometimes, i'll add in veg 2 it. very nice, my ger loves it!

when her few teeth started coming out, i added meat (chkn/pork/beef).

oh, we brought her to taipei when she was 8mth old, so got to rely on instant cereals (nestle plain rice cereals & nestle brown rice cereals)for the 10days when we were there. but i bought those gerber glass bottled pureed veg to mix into the cereals. to me, these bottled food is for convenience, eg. travelling. if in singapore, i'll always cook for her.

we did not introduce fish till after 1yr old. we v strict & careful with her diet b4 1yr old. after 1, we open to all food, except nuts & seafood, which we hold on till 3yr old. oso no outside food until after 1 yr old

my mom oso say not 2 give 2 much brown rice, scared of constipation. but luckily, my ger does not hav this prob. she;s now 3yr 3mths & is eating well (though her weight still low). she's eating almost everything & enjoys eating..

hope this little infor helps
happy.gif

WH, so poor thing that ur eyesight still cannot see well.. *sayang*...

david, o i c..had prev thot that it will be more beneficial for her if stoma op is done as soon as possible (bringing all other things into consideration) since it will lessen the chance of infection with the bag..

jenifur, i c.. cos i was under another dr wong in tmc..adelina wong..ahahahha

zola, welcome..how many weeks is ur bb born? can i add joya's link to my gal's blog? (i used that as a bookmark :p)

lilac, thank goodness u r on class C ward, else the charges will be skyrocket high...

Jas..hahaha.. u r so funi..glad that xaiver is consuming more at a faster rate now ..
happy.gif
i must be acting very unstress last time..my gal never give me this kind of break! :p

sam.wahh..reading at such a young age!! good good!
happy.gif
the bill amt is before medisave right?

Hi Bloom Mum,

We also wanted her STOMA to be close before home. Surgeon felt that it will be better for her to gain weight before ops.

Hi Sam Mum,

Not too bad for the bill. Danya total bill is 140K before subsidy. Danya spend a total of 135 days (75 days NICU, 3 days Step Down Unit, 57 days SCN). After full C class ward subsidy, 32K+. Bye Bye my medisave, pai seh that Diana also has to chip in from her medisave.

just came back from visiting Nate. He is tolerating the feeds very well. So that is good. But he seems to desat quite alot so docs decided to do a 13ml blood transfusion for him today. If he doesn't improve, they say will have to insert the ventilator down his throat again. Sigh.... I started tearing when doc told me that cos I feel that Nate has come thus far but how come he is regressing.... I was praying that he will start cycling this week but now its like he is back to square one. Another thing is they are going to extract the pre-natal tooth cos it has become shaky. So he will have one tooth missing during his toodler times. Will be going down to KK again later to sign the consent form for the extraction of the tooth.

Hi Lilac Mum,

Our warriors are too eager to see the world and their bone marrow are still not mature. Thus they cannot produce hemoglobin (Short form HB). Once the HB is insufficient, the amount of O2 absorb by their lung will be lesser thus they desat more. With Red Bull tonic (Blood Transfusion), their condition will improve.

Danya was intubated twice. Only after the second try, she is able to managed CPAP well.

Remember, Nate is our warrior. Continue to fight strong with him. Jia Yu.

David, thanks for the explanation. Wow... I am really impressed by your knowledge. It is good to know that the blood transfusion may help cos I really do not wish for Nate to be on ventilator again - all the way down his throat....How are you managing now that Danya is back home? Trust that everything is good.

Nate had his tooth extracted this evening. Husband and I were there to witness the extraction. It was a minor procedure and Nate was really brave. Din cry at all =) Like what David says, Nate is a little warrior.

hi hi all

just a quick one to post up our table...
do let me know if there are any errors...
<table border=1><tr><td>Nick</TD><TD>Baby's Name</TD><TD>Baby's DOB</TD><TD>Gender</TD><TD>Birth Weight</TD><TD>Week</TD><TD>Length of Stay </TD></TR><TR><TD>kkf's mom</TD><TD>KKF</TD><TD>15-Nov-78</TD><TD>Girl</TD><TD>1000g+</TD><TD>27</TD><TD> </TD></TR><TR><TD>chloegal</TD><TD>Edric</TD><TD>2-Jan-05</TD><TD>Boy</TD><TD>775g</TD><TD>25</TD><TD>NICU-3mths, SCN-1mth </TD></TR><TR><TD>mich</TD><TD>Dylan &amp; Evans</TD><TD>31-Jan-05</TD><TD>Boy&amp;Boy</TD><TD>600g&amp;720g</TD><TD>25</TD><TD>NICU&amp;SCN-3.5mths </TD></TR><TR><TD>precious_one</TD><TD>Angel</TD><TD>6-Feb-05</TD><TD>Girl</TD><TD>710g</TD><TD>24</TD><TD>NICU-5mths 28 days </TD></TR><TR><TD>yvonne (voncm)</TD><TD></TD><TD>24-Aug-05</TD><TD>Boy</TD><TD>1480g</TD><TD>29</TD><TD>NICU-8wks, SCN-3wks </TD></TR><TR><TD>kkf</TD><TD>Dash</TD><TD>15-Oct-05</TD><TD>Boy</TD><TD>1140g</TD><TD>27</TD><TD>NICU+SCN-2mths 3 days </TD></TR><TR><TD>disneymickey</TD><TD>Wen Shin</TD><TD>25-Feb-06</TD><TD>Girl</TD><TD>1450g</TD><TD>34</TD><TD>NICU-2.5wks, SCN-0.5wk </TD></TR><TR><TD>naddy (telly)</TD><TD></TD><TD>16-Mar-06</TD><TD>Girl</TD><TD>1136g</TD><TD>34</TD><TD>NICU-2wks, SCN-4wks </TD></TR><TR><TD>stressed</TD><TD></TD><TD>31-May-06</TD><TD>Girl</TD><TD>1890g</TD><TD>33</TD><TD>NICU-13days </TD></TR><TR><TD>costa</TD><TD>Bernard</TD><TD>22-Jun-06</TD><TD>Boy</TD><TD>750g</TD><TD>24</TD><TD>NICU-14wks, SCN-8wks </TD></TR><TR><TD>luana</TD><TD></TD><TD>18-Jul-06</TD><TD>Girl</TD><TD>1164g</TD><TD>27</TD><TD>NICU-27days, SCN-53days </TD></TR><TR><TD>cheaky</TD><TD></TD><TD>5-Aug-06</TD><TD>Boy</TD><TD>1900g</TD><TD>32</TD><TD>2wks </TD></TR><TR><TD>jane (neoah)</TD><TD>Toon Siang</TD><TD>12-Aug-06</TD><TD>Boy</TD><TD>985g</TD><TD>26</TD><TD>NICU-2mths, SCN-1mth </TD></TR><TR><TD>jacelyn tey</TD><TD>Terry &amp; Bryan</TD><TD>14-Aug-06</TD><TD>Boy&amp;Boy</TD><TD>1510g&amp;1190g</TD><TD>30</TD><TD>57 days </TD></TR><TR><TD>mummylian</TD><TD>Ezanne</TD><TD>7-Sep-06</TD><TD>Girl</TD><TD>1034g</TD><TD>27</TD><TD>NICU-38days SCN-20days </TD></TR><TR><TD>chloegal</TD><TD>Chloe</TD><TD>21-Sep-06</TD><TD>Girl</TD><TD>2000g</TD><TD>34</TD><TD>SCN- 5 days </TD></TR><TR><TD>puppyduppy</TD><TD></TD><TD>16-Oct-06</TD><TD>Girl</TD><TD>1140g</TD><TD>29</TD><TD> </TD></TR><TR><TD>bloom</TD><TD>Kathleen</TD><TD>15-Nov-06</TD><TD>Girl</TD><TD>1810g</TD><TD>34</TD><TD>SCN-22days </TD></TR><TR><TD>nana</TD><TD>Ryan</TD><TD>13-Dec-06</TD><TD>Boy</TD><TD>2185g</TD><TD>33</TD><TD> </TD></TR><TR><TD>myfab</TD><TD></TD><TD>14-Dec-06</TD><TD>Girl&amp;Girl</TD><TD>1118g &amp; 780g</TD><TD>29</TD><TD>3mths&amp;4mths </TD></TR><TR><TD>lindah</TD><TD>Hami</TD><TD>4-Feb-07</TD><TD>Boy</TD><TD>680g</TD><TD>24</TD><TD>5mths 18 days </TD></TR><TR><TD>didi</TD><TD>D&amp;D</TD><TD>18-Feb-07</TD><TD>Boy&amp;Boy</TD><TD>1520g &amp; 1610g</TD><TD>30</TD><TD>4.5wks&amp;9wks </TD></TR><TR><TD>RR (irin)</TD><TD>Reyden &amp; Reyes</TD><TD>2-Mar-07</TD><TD>Boy&amp; Girl</TD><TD>2420g &amp; 1950g</TD><TD>34</TD><TD>SCN-5days, 9days </TD></TR><TR><TD>amy</TD><TD></TD><TD>15-Apr-07</TD><TD>Girl</TD><TD>641g</TD><TD>27</TD><TD>80 days </TD></TR><TR><TD>lili</TD><TD></TD><TD>30-Apr-07</TD><TD>Girl</TD><TD>1400g</TD><TD>30</TD><TD>6 weeks </TD></TR><TR><TD>flora</TD><TD></TD><TD>18-May-07</TD><TD>Girl</TD><TD>2334g</TD><TD>33</TD><TD>SCN-2 weeks </TD></TR><TR><TD>daec</TD><TD>Nada</TD><TD>18-May-07</TD><TD>Girl</TD><TD>1015g</TD><TD>32</TD><TD>48days </TD></TR><TR><TD>picky</TD><TD></TD><TD>1-Aug-07</TD><TD>Boy</TD><TD>850g</TD><TD>26</TD><TD> </TD></TR><TR><TD>tree ice</TD><TD>Craydon</TD><TD>3-Oct-07</TD><TD>Boy</TD><TD>1500g</TD><TD>34</TD><TD>SCN-21 days </TD></TR><TR><TD>jewel</TD><TD></TD><TD>9-Oct-07</TD><TD>Girl</TD><TD></TD><TD>30</TD><TD>45 days </TD></TR><TR><TD>xbliss</TD><TD>Bryan</TD><TD>12-Oct-07</TD><TD>Boy</TD><TD>925g</TD><TD>27</TD><TD>NICU-1mth SCN-1mth </TD></TR><TR><TD>xiaowanzi</TD><TD></TD><TD>31-Oct-07</TD><TD>Boy</TD><TD>635g</TD><TD>26</TD><TD> </TD></TR><TR><TD>cookiemz</TD><TD></TD><TD>14-Nov-07</TD><TD>Boy</TD><TD>2260g</TD><TD>33</TD><TD>SCN-8 days </TD></TR><TR><TD>fairylander</TD><TD>Catharina</TD><TD>15-Nov-07</TD><TD>Girl</TD><TD>1628g</TD><TD>36</TD><TD> </TD></TR><TR><TD>strawberry</TD><TD>Jayvier Lim</TD><TD>16-Dec-07</TD><TD>Boy</TD><TD>1239g</TD><TD>27</TD><TD>NICU-52days </TD></TR><TR><TD>mimeole</TD><TD>Arvin</TD><TD>28-Dec-07</TD><TD>Boy</TD><TD>1520g</TD><TD>31</TD><TD> </TD></TR><TR><TD>sweet_rose</TD><TD></TD><TD>8-Jan-08</TD><TD>Boy&amp;Boy</TD><TD>2100g &amp; 2100g</TD><TD>36</TD><TD>SCN-1 day </TD></TR><TR><TD>smiggleprincess</TD><TD>Kayden Liu</TD><TD>8-Apr-08</TD><TD>Boy</TD><TD>810g</TD><TD>24</TD><TD>NICU-4mths </TD></TR><TR><TD>shelllow</TD><TD>Paige</TD><TD>2-Jul-08</TD><TD>Girl</TD><TD>1180g</TD><TD>28</TD><TD>NICU-34days SCN-30days </TD></TR><TR><TD>yan(bless)</TD><TD>Yi Lin</TD><TD>12-Aug-08</TD><TD>Girl</TD><TD>812g</TD><TD>26</TD><TD>NICU-40days SCN-46days </TD></TR><TR><TD>bbgal</TD><TD>Zyon &amp; Kegan</TD><TD>21-Dec-08</TD><TD>Boy&amp;Boy</TD><TD>1055g &amp;1010g</TD><TD>26</TD><TD>NICU-48days SCN-17days </TD></TR><TR><TD>gingal</TD><TD>Jerlynn</TD><TD>1-Jan-09</TD><TD>Girl</TD><TD>1355g</TD><TD>29</TD><TD>NICU-6days SCN-5wks </TD></TR><TR><TD>kkf</TD><TD>Violet</TD><TD>19-Jan-09</TD><TD>Girl</TD><TD>2778g</TD><TD>34</TD><TD>SCN-5days </TD></TR><TR><TD>afcai</TD><TD>Hao Xuan</TD><TD>28-Jan-09</TD><TD>Boy</TD><TD>1720g</TD><TD>31</TD><TD>NICU-1day SCN-30days </TD></TR><TR><TD>david wong</TD><TD>Danya </TD><TD>26-Feb-09</TD><TD>Girl</TD><TD>590g</TD><TD>26</TD><TD> </TD></TR><TR><TD>maykel</TD><TD>Channah &amp; Charlot</TD><TD>3-Mar-09</TD><TD>Girl&amp;Girl</TD><TD>1460g &amp;1000g</TD><TD>31</TD><TD>NICU/SCN-35days &amp; 48days </TD></TR><TR><TD>jenifur</TD><TD>Jedidiah</TD><TD>3-Jul-09</TD><TD>Boy</TD><TD>1510g</TD><TD>30</TD><TD> </TD></TR><TR><TD>irenelovej</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD>Boy</TD><TD>1600g</TD><TD>34</TD><TD>NICU-3wks </TD></TR><TR><TD>geraldine</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD>Boy&amp;Girl</TD><TD>1500g &amp; 1700g</TD><TD>31</TD><TD>NICU-6wks </TD></TR><TR><TD>adeline lee</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD>Boy</TD><TD>815g</TD><TD>29</TD><TD> </TD></TR><TR><TD>pinety</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD>Boy</TD><TD>1300g</TD><TD>31</TD><TD></td></tr></table>

for those who wld like to add ur baby details in the table, you can just post here...
i wld scroll thru the posts to "pick" up... hehe..

hi zola,
can I add ur blog to my boy's blog?
my boy is a 33 weekers... born in dec 06... here's his blog http://ryanchl.blogspot.com

<font color="0077aa">lilac</font>,
usually, bb on phototherapy will tend to lose weight. dun worry loh...that's the advice fr doc. yup, hope, the tooth will be strong as he grow. my boy also very tanned cos he also on photography for a mth.

<font color="119911">sam</font>,
when my boy drink fast, milk will flow out at his side. if he drink slow, then no milk flow out. think it is the speed of the sucking blar...

<font color="119911">jenifur</font>,
frozen ebm can keep ard 3mth tough nurse said up to 6mth. but I think better to keep less than 3mth cos the longer the ebm is, the more nutrient it will lose.

<font color="0077aa">gingal</font>,
hmm...next week, HX will be gg for his 3rd 8 in 1 jab, let see how much he weight now. dunno will he pass 6kg or not....wow, J must be chubby loh. HX also chubby. but his last weight is 4.95kg as of 29/5. yup, true, mummies fr Jan thread (of cos full term bb) all abt up to 9kg loh.

haa..yup, he only goes for his 'smelly' pillow stamped with his saliva.

on thur, he shows sign of wanting to eat so my mum started him on the sample of nestle cereal. he luv it so much that he finished all. my mum also tore tiny pieces of bread for him to eat. he also luv it. he is only 2 wk to 6mth only(cA 4mth). if dun give him food, he will drip saliva, stare hard at u and then scream.

aiyo, my mum said if I dun buy the cereal, she will buy. she also give bread to him. hai...I already told her that my idea time is to start him solid in between his CA and actual age. I also told her that i will start giving my boy eu ren sang brown rice when he is CA 6mth.

re:Heinz Purees
old folk said no gd leh, dunno got preservative or not etc...better to mash those food ourself.

re:Bee Gor
got to keep on stiring and then boil until bubbles. last time, we give eu ren sang si shen powder for my no#1 till she is 15mth.

re:bm verus fm
we started 1 feed of fm (Nan 1) for Hx on thur. he just played ard with teat and then dun seems to drink. he displayed a kind of weird look. so my mum got to coax him to drink. he drank 4 oz out of 5 oz. but he still prefer mummy brand milk. but wkend, he will be tbm.

<font color="119911">disenymickey</font>,
do gerber glass bottled pureed need to warm up?

<font color="119911">WH</font>,
my boy also had dry lip during the hospital stay. so nurse will apply dunno what oil on his lips.

<font color="119911">tigger</font>,
what is prep room for?

<font color="119911">zola</font>
Welcome! how many wk yr bb born? can pm me yr blog. I also have blog too.

<font color="0077aa">kkf</font>,
got to re-intro yrself to the newbies loh...ask u...regards to ccc? do u need 1 mth notice t withdraw Dash fr the ccc?

<font color="119911">Jas</font>,
think every bb will go thru a hungry and angry bb loh. same like HX, we do the chanting for him keeping telling him he got to patient when waiting for his preparation fo milk milk etc....so now, he dun cry unless one lure him or when he see milk milk in front but dun give him, he will be super excited and then will scream.

<font color="119911">Nana</font>,
thks for the update of the table.

Hi Sam,

Wow, Mattias looks cute!! He already interested in Einstein book, so good! Xavier only interested in the black/red/white book, guess it stimulates him more...

Now u already become panda, cant imagine if the other 2 come back ya, but I am sure u will enjoy more than anything else if all of you get reunited
happy.gif
....U give partial BM to Mattias, is it because u save some to send to hospital? It must be hard to breastfeed 3 of them, gambateh...

6 digit bill, before subsidy right?

Gingal,
My laptop adaptor crashed, got to wait for new adapter to arrive before i can upload any pics. Using my husband's laptop now, very sianz, not used to it.

Talking about being aunty, i feel very much like aunty noww...I dress like aunty too because i dun want to buy new clothes, keep wearing large T-shirts (trying to convince myself i will lose weight and fit into my nice clothes again). The other day, still got ppl gave up their seat for me, faintz liao. I gave birth half a year ago
sad.gif

My old BM also got fishy smell lehhh...at first I tot they have gone bad, but my MIL boiled one of the bottles and the BM didnt become solid (she said that means it is still good). Hmmm...not sure. I also very lazy to pump, reduced from 6 to 3 times. Now can barely make to 1 litre, just enough for Xavier. Guess i will need to use old stocks soon as he is taking 170ml/4 hourly. Isnt it a bit too much for his weight? He is only 3.7kg, but drinks so much....

Lilac and Jenifur,
Dont get disheartened over the minor setbacks...One step forward and few steps back are normal in NICU. Stop breathing or rather "apnea of prematuriy" is rather common among preemies, chances are they will outgrow it very fast once they gain weight.

Just to share with you, my little Xavier stopped breathing at a very crucial timing also...He was having his PDA ligation surgery when he was only 800g plus, just after the GA shot was given, he stopped breathing. The whole team of surgeons got to resucitate him, and the operation was postponed to a few days later at the end. man, i tot I was going to lose him. He was on ventilator for more than 50 days, and CPAP? i cannot remember liaooo...He was cycling off CPAP, then on canula, back to CPAP due to flu attack...off CPAP... He remained below 900g for 2 months, only started gaining weight after his PDA was close. As a result of his prolong ventilation, he has chronic lung disease. Until today, he still has retractions at chest when he breathes. The doctors held him back for a while due to that, but at the end still decided to let him go home.

We were scared when we brought him home. I was reliant on the monitor for a long time....The first week, I was so anxious. At night, i would check whether he is still breathing after a while....really paranoid..

But he is a strong warrior, and he is growing well. So trust in our lord. He will look after our warriors
happy.gif

Hi Nana-kuchi,

Please update my details into the table, thanks!

Babies Name: Issac &amp; Xavier
Birth date: 23 Jan 2009
Birth Weight: 938g and 650g
Gestational week: 25 or 26
length of stay: Issac passed away on 46th day, Xavier came home on 138th day.

Grace,
Doc Audrey is at KKH Eye centre..many of our preemies go to her....my son whos like maddy born at 24 wks also goes to her...since he was seen by her during his 5mth stay at kkh after birth

everytime they do different types of eye checks on the child...

u can call the kkh eye centre for further information...

hp tis helps..

Jas, thanks for sharing about your experience. It must have been tough for you. But one silver lining of the whole thing is that Xavier is back home with you!!! Yay!! Wah, your milk supply very good leh. 3 pump still can get 1 litre. I am already into my 3rd week since delivery and I have been pumping 6 times daily but total yield is only 500 ml.... Is it too little. Think I must buck up liao.

Afcai, maybe we can form a Beach Boys' club for our boys. Nate seems to be a little fairer after being off phototherapy. Or maybe I am just biased. Ke, ke

Last night, I dream that Nate was discharged from the hospital and he can start walking liao!!! Ha, ha... I think I have been thinking too much of Nate.... cos he seems to be early for many things - for his birth, for his tooth. So maybe for his walking, also early. Ha, ha...

afcai,
i didn't warmup.cos travelling, dun hav the luxury. but when bought frm supermarket, dun put inside fridge. when cereals is warm (cos mixed with warm water right?), juz add in, so will b warm. but leftover, i'll keep in fridge, then bring it out earlier b4 next feed, so can add into warm cereals. but i only keep in fridge once. so max eat twice. though waste food, but bo bian.

Hi all..

Mattias going for eye review at KK again this thurs...dunno the doctor's name.. female doc. the card put ling. Its snr consultant n she dun tok much.. face like dull n black black..

hi all..

/i need help frm all of u here, i need 6 part timers to deliver moon cakes frm 22 sep to 26 sep. $7/hrly from 10am - 6pm.. pls help me keep a look out.

wow, u pump 3 times still can get almost 1 litres. envy wor....just curious, wondering when yr b is full, won't u get super engore? how long u take to pump per session?

wow, Xavier must be chubby loh since his intake of milk is quite high. cheers...keep it up.

<font color="119911">lilac</font>,
yr milk supply consider normal liao, think u have better milk supply than me cos 3 wk fr delivery also yield 500ml. think me only yield that amt when 3mth.

<font color="119911">disneymickey</font>,
oic. yup, think those purees only can consume within 48hrs blar...

hmm..u make moon cake??

Lilac,

You are welcome.. I am just sharing my experience like what others did when i first got here, hope it helps to east ur mind. Ya,the great thing is Xavier is back
happy.gif

I guess u got to pump more often if u want to get more production. It is important in the first few weeks. For me, I maintained at 6 times/a day for about 3 mths before I reduced the frequency gradually. I think my body get tuned to the amt, so when i reduced the frequency, the total yield still the same. But I guess 3 times a day is the limit liaoo...last time when I pumped 4 times a day, I got about 1.3L..now reduced to 1L, i dun dare to reduce frequency again..

I also dreamt of Xavier, but I dreamt of him talking to me...hehehe...

Afcai,

Aiyo, no need to envy lahh..U also got enough for HX mah..Like i said b4, too much also a problem. I bought 2 100L deep freezer to store the BM, i wonder if i will ever get to use them for Xavier...I gave out a lot of BM so far as they are getting old (giving out also a prob, some ppl very picky abt the dates lah, how to pick up lah, walau. sianz, give out free stuff also so troublesome!).. A bit derrr right..

I used to get very bad engorgement, even for 6 times/ a day. However, I guess when I slowly reduce my frequency, my body gets used to it also. Now i can tahan 8-9 hours without pump, and each session can produce abt 300-400ml, after abt 15-20 mins pump. I think I will maintain this frequency until I decide to stop BF totally.

Xavier is getting more chubby, he is 3.7kg now, as compared to 2.2 one and half mth ago. But still he is under the 10th percentile due to IUGR before, hopefully he can pick up soon
happy.gif

I also maintain 6 times pumping first 3mth but never got so much. haa.true true....too much bm, give out bm, storage of bm all problem problem....

wow, ta han 8-9hrs not pumping hmm....for me, my last pump of the day is 1030pm and then the next pump is 0550-6am before I go to work. wow, 15-20mins can yield 300-400ml liao...think this amt is my combine of 2 pumps. now, for me, gd time 15mins pump can yield 150ml. if not only 110ml. when u intend to stop bf Xavier? anyway, since u got a gd supply, why not continue until supply stop? like that can save LOTs of $$ for fm. fm is so ex. my supply is racing against HX liao. as long as I am hm, my supply will be enu for him if not he got to sustitute with 1 feed of fm. he will make werid face, play with the teat when feed him fm. got to coax him to drink. that's what my mum said. hai...stress stress...think my supply is getting lower and lower. one day high and the next day lower and vice versa.

hmm... Xavier and HX similar age only Xavier is older than HX by 5 days. so Xavier, Violet, Jerlynn and WH's bb (what's her name??) are all Jan bb.... oh, 3 princess and 2 princes.

oh, so u will start Xavier solid food when he is CA 6mth??

Jas, I agree with afcai, if your supply is good, why not continue with BF? Save alot of $$ for FM and also breastmilk is good for our precious. Each session with yield of 300-400 ml is really, extremely good lor. I am pumping 6 times every 4 hourly. Maybe I should try every 3 hourly instead. The greatest struggle is the 2/3 am pump. Always sleep right through. Feel guilty when I wake up at 5 am to pump. I was thinking that if Nate is here, I would not let him starve and continue sleeping lor. Why then did I not be more hardworking and pump. Hiaz...

Afcai, don't know if my yield is normal or not. But will continue to keep pumping and pumping. Hopefully when Nate is discharge, I can latch him on. Feels that latching on is easier than pumping.

Nate desat lesser now that he had the blood tranfusion. So that's good. He is currently 31 weeks. When he was born, doctors say that as long as he reaches 35 weeks and/or reaches 2kg, he can be discharged. Experienced mummies, is it common that babies are discharged at 35th week? Or usually, they will let babies be discharged at term i.e. 37-40 weeks? The grandparents and relatives have been asking when he will be discharged and I would usually say a month more or so. Maybe longer. And they always say 'huh? why so long one?' Trying to give a longer time frame so that when he is discharged earlier, its a bonus for the grandparents.

Afcai,

well, i guess the only reason is I am a cow lahh...AHAH...Even the nurses in NICU said i am a good cow, hehe...

I intend to continue BF as long as I can. I will go back to work in Sept, hopefully still can carry on. If not, time to put the old stocks into good use...Should be able to tahan for 2 months
happy.gif

How much is HX drinking a day? How many mths corrected is he? HX so smart, can tel the diff between FM and BM...Dun get stressed lah, just try ur best!

Not sure when to start Xavier on solid food, will check with doc tmr, going for appt

hihi all
i was in this thread during my 5 months hospitalisation leave and bedrest but after gave birth, was busy with baby and i went back to work after 8 weeks, therefore had not been in here for months.

for those who are currently on bedrest, we do understand how you feel...really feel like giving up at times...but it's all worth it at the end of the journey.

for those whose darlings are in hospital still, please take care and i'll pray for you...

kkf, agree with you that there are a lot of new friends here. violet should be 6 months now right cos she and my son are about 2 days apart. started violet on semi solids yet? still breastfeeding?

didn't manage to finish reading all the postings. did you all have the gathering?

Lilac,

Cannot skip the night expressing lah, very impt one, esp first 2 mths! U got to push urself...

Good tat Nate is getting better! I cant remember how many blood transfusions Xavier went thru...hehe..so many that i din bother to count :p
Btw, Babies will be discharged when their weight is okay and their drinking/breathing and all other health issues are stable..So if he becomes 2kg when he is 35th week, and everything else is fine, he can go home. if not, just have to be more patient
Xavier came home when he was 1 mth corrected, my neck was so long....

Jas, thanks for reminding me that night expressing is important. Tonight must wake up to express liao!! Must set many, many alarms!!! Ya, really got to be patient. One of the major thing now for him is he is still on CPAP. If he can overcome this, it probably would be one major milestone.

lilac,
dun worry, my gal was on CPAP for almost 4wk... failed her cycling tests so many times tt i lost count... once off CPAP, she doesnt desat, except when i feed her (took me v long to figure how to feed her w/o her changing color). Doc will always tell u abt the O2 flow and also long term effect of CPAP.

shelllow, thanks for sharing. Actually, docs have not told me anything about the long term effect of CPAP. I found about it thru my friend whose child was also premature. She has a friend whose child was on CPAP for quite a long time and it affected the eyesight. So I am really worried about CPAP affecting the eyesight... something call ROP? So that is why I am anxious for Nate to be off CPAP. But then again, if he desat often if he is off CPAP, then no point also.... the nurses tell me that its always a tough choice to balance between too much CPAP and too much desat. Just got to really pray that the Lord will guide and grant docs and nurses the wisdom.

Lilac,

CPAP will not affect eyesight that much, ventilator is the main culprit since the oxygen level in CPAP is very low. Anyway, even said so, causes of ROP still remain rather unknown medically.

Xavier was on ventilator for 50 days, and on CPAP for almost another 60 days (cant remember), he used to hvae ROP stage 1 &amp; 2 for both eyes, yet it regressed to normal eyesight when he was corrected age 1 and half month. The baby next to us had never been on ventilator before, was on CPAP for a while, yet he developed ROP stage 2...still under observation now.

ROP requires no intervention if it stays at Stage 1 or 2 (maybe need glasses). And even if baby is diagnosed with ROP stage 1 or 2, it may regress after they are older -- about 1-2 months old.

So more impt thing is get him to breathe normally first..Dun worry
happy.gif

They will send doctors to check his eyes after 32 weeks i think...

lilac
Dun worry unduly. My girl was intubated from birth 24 weeks+4 to 38 weeks (i.e. on ventilator), thereafter on oxygen support. She relied on high oxygen with cpap after the trachy surgery and lower oxygen and cpap after discharge. In total, she was given oxygen for a long 11 months. I was told that most medication have its good and bad. At certain stage, if one requires oxygen support, then that person has to receive oxygen to SURVIVE, but take a risk on possible stress on other organs. Do one has a choice?

I have my own anxiety then, girl's eye sight etc, scar on the neck. but I knew that I eventually have to focus on her survival. So whatever painful decision I had to make then, it was to give her a chance of living. With that goal in mind, I pray to GOD to have mercy on my little girl and to make her beautiful in HIS ways.

Other than trachestomy ops, my girl also underwent an eye surgery as she had inverted eye lashes on one eye, i.e. the eye lashes point towards her retina causing abrasion, which may cause damage to her eye sight in the long run. She went to the ops theatre again for another 3 more times to check if she could be decannulated i.e. to remove the trachy tube, and finally her last surgery was to seal up the hole.

She has surpassed me in the nos. of times at Ops theatre by the age of 3.

My message is, do not allow hear say to affect you. Everyone is different. Whatever treatment Nate has to go through, have faith and believe that the medication received will make Nate strong and healthy. Cast aside fear or worry as what is going to happen next is not within your control. Always believe that our GOD is a healing GOD, as long as he intervenes, everthing will be smooth sailing.

GOD will bless Nate.
happy.gif
Nate, Jia You!

Afcai,

Prep room is like a waiting area to prepare baby home ...

Lilac,
I agree with precious_one. I also had the same concern. But the neonat said that we should always focus one thing at a time. Its not guarentee that your baby will get ROP, besides the myopia rate in singapore is so high. Even a full term baby might have to wear glasses.

lilac

the most important thing is to get Nate to breathe by himself. Don't worry about his eyes yet. anyway, ccap's oxygen flow is quite low. Maddy's eyes were affected cos on ventilator for a long while( prob 2 months). she had rop. good thing detected early. she went for the laser and everything was arrested. she might need to put on glasses next year but atleast she's not blinded by rop. there's always lasik she can go for when she's older.. Trust in Lord! He will guide Nate and your family through..

<font color="119911">lilac</font>,
agree that the greatest challenge is to pump at wee hrs. one time, I pumped until bottle dropped onto the floor. luckily, glass bottle did not break but only slight split out. then I fully awake liao. another time, before I started to pump while massaging, I doze off. only woke up think 20mins or half an hrs later.that's was the first 3-5mth when I was at hm. now only woke up to pump at 0530am-6am and the last pump is either 1030pm - 11pm. anyway,ever since I returned to work, my bm dropped. stress stress....

yup, jiayou in bf....as long as one kept on pumping, remember demand = supply.yup, first 2 mth is essential to build up the supply. haa..I also set alarm, some doze pass the sound of alarm.

same as u, old folk will keep asking when will bb discharge, how come so one? why like this and that? think standard critia to discharge is 35 wk and 2kg. pai seh just curious to ask why need blood transfusion?

<font color="0077aa">Jas</font>,
haaa..dun forgot it is moo moo yr....:p.do yr workplace got any plc to pump? if excess old stock give him an milk bath rather than throw away, sure his skin will be tender. that time when I had my no#1, I used the expiry one to wash my feet and hand and heal my wound (cuts). that's mean when u can yield so much in one pump, u need 2 bigger size bottle loh...what brand pump u use? dunno why recently, milk flow slow or pump a bit lagging loh....

HX is drinking 150ml-160ml depending on how much leftover. what i mean is sometimes "bu shan bu si' got left 10ml so just pour up to the rim of the bottle. next mth, need to upgrade to a bigger size bottle liao. now, he is using a smaller size Avent bottle which can only hold up to 160ml max.

HX is born at wk 31+3. edd date shd be 28/3 but report in this world on third day of cny. think he can't ta han his sister always say 'gong xi fa cai' loh so break my waterburst (haa...blame him wor...) on 2nd day of cny. luckily, he let me enjoying my reunion dinner at both family few days bck also visited all relatives b4 bursting my waterbag. :p. even doc tried to inject lot of jabs to stop him fr coming out but......he just slip out. haa..HX got his wishes and grab 5 ang pows the next day....haa..

so Xavier is older than Hx (born on 28/1) by 5 days only. CA should be 4mth next tues via 6mth.what is Xavier corrected age?

dunno leh, my gar not like that one, what we give her, she just drink. think tHX is really a shao ye mah...dun want mean dun want, cannot force him if not, he will......

do u follow up with neonatal at NUH or KKH? so how often do Xavier need to visit neonatal?

one last thing, u may like open yr pm loh...i remember u asking me abt HX's blog.

<font color="0077aa">xbliss</font>,
just to update that I received a bad news fr NTUC insurance(dun need to pay $80 for report. my financial consultant submitted the application and NTUC just request directly fr KKH) saying that they can't insure HX. but they prospose another endowment plan for him which insure only $29k instead of $100k for life insurance. even we appeal but NTUC told us to come bck when HX turn 1 yr old. so hubby is looking at TM life insurance. anyway, HX has one medicial insurance liao which cover him free when he is hospitalisation (touch wood).

so have u try other insurance?

<font color="119911">gg11</font>,
welcome bck. wow, 5mth of hospitalisation. for me, I ona nd off hopsitalise for thrice then given nearly 2mth of bed rest.

oh, welcome to the Jan bb club. I was talking to Jas that got lot of Jan bb here like violet, Jerlynn (gingal 's princess), WH's princess (dunno what 's her name), Xavier and my HX + yr son. so think my HX is the youngest among the Jan bb here.

jiayou u can do it...ppls said when oen think of holding the bb etc it will be much easy for let down reflux.

<font color="119911">Zola</font>,
Have sneaked during office hr to reply u liao. thks for sharing yr blog. will take a look.

any reason for Joya vomitting? indigestive of milk? my HX is a merlion during first 3mth.

<font color="119911">tigger</font>,
oic. thks for the infor.

Jas, thanks for sharing your experiences. I feel very encouraged and comforted knowing that there can be so many possibilities for a baby to develop ROP... and that I should not worry unduly. And more knowledge about what my premmie is going to go through helps alot. So really appreciate you for taking time to type what you know =)

Precious_one, yes, we have an Almighty God who with Him, all things are possible. It must have been a faith stretching journey for you as you walk together with your daughter in her early years at the hospital. Such strong mummy. I am very ministered by what you shared.... things are certainly not within our control and I need to learn how to trust. Come what may, I will still choose to give thanks because He has blessed me with such a beautiful baby like Nate =)

Tigger, ya lor, I should just take things one step at a time. Sometimes, I am too task oriented and impatience. Need to understand that Nate is only 31 weeks and that there are still many years for him to learn and to overcome.

Grace, yes, during this period, I really have been pushed to trust in His daily grace =) To learn that each second, minute, hour, day, week and month is a grace from Him.

Afcai, I slept past the alarm last night again!!! But now that I am back to my own home (was at my parents' place for confinement), I think should be able to wake up and pump without having to worry about waking my parents up!!! Nate needs blood tranfusion because he was desating quite often. It seems like premmies cannot produce enough hameglobin which in turn produce oxygen, so they inject more blood into him so that it will help produce more hameglobin to produce oxygen. That's what Daddy David said.

Zola, any updates on Joya? Is she better? Maybe she is regurgitating milk? Do let us know how she is, ya?

hi afcai
your bb is a jan bb also, meaning almost 6 months old. u going to start semi solid food? if so, then can pump less and skip the night pumps.

Xavier got readmitted back to NUH again yesterday at 5am. He developed high fever 39.9 degrees the night after he took the 6 in 1 jab and pneumoccocal jab. We sent him to emergency after the fever persisted for 3-4 hours. They tested his blood and found that his white cell was very high (compared to the counts taken b4 taking the vaccinations). They suspected infections..so they admitted him
sad.gif

He is on Oxygen again, i am feeling so depressed. Doc said most likely is lung fections. It might be there already, but got triggered by the vaccinations..The good news are his fever subsided yesterday and he still drinks and sleeps well..

Xavier may need to come home with Oxygen support if he cant wean off the canula for the next 2 days. sighhhh......really dunno how he got infected!!! We basic finally confined ourselves at home most of the times and never got in touch with sicked ppl. THe only possibility is when we viisted the hospital...but, what a bad coincidence?

I jus got back from NUH, today is my husband's turn to stay over...I am so tiring, only a few hours sleep for past 2 days. Very tired but dun feel like sleeping...

speechless. sianz

Hi Jas,

*Hugs* so sorry to hear abt the infection. Try to stay positive ok. I'm sure Xavier will be home soon and without the oxygen support ...

Jas, it must be a real dampen to the mood to have Xavier admitted to the hospital. Hope he will get really well and be discharged without the need for oxygen. Do hope you can get some rest. Be strong.

Jas
pat pat. You take good care of yourself and bb. i stayed overnight 3 days a row when bryan had his hernia op. On the 2nd night, i totally couldnt' wake up at all. the nurse said bryan cry so loud but i din even cry. heee.. totally concussed, cos still need to pump, feed him, carry him.. blah blah. but u know wat? he is a happy boy now. so everything will be worth it.

afcai
i din try anymore insurance. damn tiring with all that procedures. i will wait til bryan is 2 then i put in the applications.

zola, don't worry about the weight... cos' Nate's weight has been up and down. Plus Joya's has quite a good birth weight for a premmie, ya? She will be out in no time. Remember to rest well.

Hi jas,

Oh dear... the 6 in 1 jab is so terrible? I heard only only 1 of them dpb or pdb or something will cause fever.. The fever is very high.. luckily it went down.. but sadly its lung infection.. thts the worrying part.. sighs.. babies lungs are so fragile right.. Yes its very tiring.. luckily your hubby can help you out.. You must rest well too to look after ur dearie..Rest well as not to fall sick urself k..I got some friends got flu.. i was so frightened.. hmm..Dun worry so much hor..

Hi Mummies,

Too long never posted. Update. Danya finish her first review last Wed. She gain about 300gram in 10 days but Doc still mention that she need to gain more. This 2 days, Danya is very cranky. Her stool has become more watery. Some concern but has to monitor.

Hi Jas Mum,

No worries. Xavier is a strong warrior. This is only a small challenge for him. He will be home soon without any additional package. Have faith.

Hi Zola Mum,

5gm is still a achievement for Joya. Continue to praise her for this achievement. Jia Yu.

Hi Sam Mum,

6 in 1. Some babies will get fever. Some don't. Doc do prescribe liquid panadol if fever does occur.

Today, we visited Nate in the evening and we got all anxious when we did not see Nate in the incubator. The nurse brought us to another bed which was not Nate and then to another bed which was not Nate either. The doctor saw us and said 'Oh, your son is in the isolation ward'. My husband's heart sank. But the doc quickly added 'For the purpose only because there is no space liao'. So we quickly went to the isolation ward and to our pleasant surprise, Nate is off CPAP!!!! They wanted him to try cycling. And then the nurse asked the most beautiful question 'Do you want to carry your baby?'. OF COURSE I WANT!!!! So for the first time in 27 days, I carried Nate!!!! Tears just started welling up in my eyes when the nurse prepared Nate for me to carry. I was like a little child waiting to open her first Christmas gift. And boy oh boy!!! When I carried Nate, a gush of feelings just overwhelmed me.... Thank You Lord for letting me carry Nate today =)

lilac,
happy.gif
more sweet moments to come. my boy had the same experience of being placed in isolation room due to lack of beds. trust me, that room is so much quieter, bb will do very very well in there. my boy had excellent progress whilst in the "isolation ward". hehehe.
happy.gif

<font face="Comic Sans Ms">Have not post for a few days. Praise Lord, Baby Jed is doing great. His weight has gone up to 1.89kg &amp; managed to finish 1 full feed via bottle yesterday. This is a great achievement for him as it's really take a lot out of him to suck due to his cleft.

I managed to snap a pic of him few days back. Everybody said he look too chubby to be a preemie
happy.gif

<font color="0000ff">David</font>

Hope Danya's stool condition improve ya.

<font color="aa00aa">Jas</font>

*Hugs* I'm sure Warrior Xavier will be discharged soon and without the oxygen. You take care of yourself ya.

<font color="0000ff">Zola</font>

Dun worry bout the weight. Like wat the mummy here said One step forward and few steps back are normal in NICU. Baby Jed has moments like this too. Some days he can gain 30g &amp; some days he's down to 5g.

<font color="aa00aa">Lilac</font>

Praise God, Nate is off CPAC &amp; you get to hold him in your arm. Baby Nate is making great progress. Our little warriors are amazing ya.</font>

Lilac

So so so happy for you. I believe GOD is working on your boy now. Everyone has the 1st touching moment here and the joy is more than winning a BIG sweep. All of here are blessed children of GOD as we all won BIG prizes... the twins mummies won double while Sam, the only mummy I knew who has triplets won TRIPLE. All so blessed. So good to read this on a Sunday! It brightens up my mood and day! Praise the Lord!

Back