P1 Registration: Neighbourhood school or "elite" school?

earl_grey

Hi all, I am having a dilemma and would appreciate your inputs.

I am now split between two schools: one is a resaonably good neighbourhood school, according to the ranking board on another parenthood forum, it is within the top 15, we are able to enrol our child at P2A1 and secure a place. The other is the "elite" N*PS, we will need to try our luck at P2B as PV.

My dilemma is: should we try sending our child to the elite school at all? The reason we wanted to become its PV is because we hope our child could enter its affiliated secondary school with less pressure on the PSLE score; but I've always had doubts about subjecting my child to the vicious competition within the school at such a tender age, I worry about what this would do to her character development, and sharing by old timers like Kristen Han on their respective blogs aggravated my worries.

But at the same time, perhaps my child could handle the pressure and benefit from the school's programme, so if we do not go try our luck at P2B, we could be depriving her (and her decendents) from being educated in one of the top primary schools in Singapore? The consequence of our decision seems so great that I'm really at a loss of what to do, thus I'd really love to hear your views, many thanks.

Hi there..my girl will be going to P1 next yr.Personally it's up to parents individual which school they want to send their children to. To me be it a neighbourhood or elite school for a start it does not matter coz primary school is the basic foundation a ground start for them.It's up to us parents how we actually nurture them.The child also plays a part.I would take my nephew as one example.My sister send him to a neighbourhood school at Pasir Ris & he did well for his PSLE & he is one of the top 10 student & get to go to RI.So I guess it's how we parents eduacte,motivate & give our encouragement to the child as to boost their confidence to do well in their studies despite there's a lot of competitive out there.

Hi, my girl is going to P1 in year 2015, but I have already registered as a PV. I registered as PV for that neighbourhood school is not it is a top school, rather is it is the nearest to my house. It is for the convenient to the caregiver sending and fetching her back home in future.
I am in the dilemma as well...is it really a matter to send children to top school? Is the programme in top school and neighbourhood school are different?

Yes different..top sch expectation higher..my son never hears abt new south Wales test but in top sch it compulsory..frankly if your gal is gifted she will get a chance to go top sch in p 4 but most impt is why do we hv kids? To enjoy them n to let them enjoy growing up. And learning at own pace..

I also think it really depends on the capability of your child. Maybe can speak with her teachers who are teaching her now. They will be able to provide you with the information that you might need but provided you are not the kind of parents who are turned off when they tell you the truth that your kid is not suitable for elite school.

My primary school teacher is currently teaching in the elite school. He is due for retirement soon. Last year we met up and he told me that many times he sees those kids coming in to the school are so poor things. They really couldn't cope and shouldn't be in this school but the parents just forced them to come in without any consideration for their child capabilities. In the end, the ones who suffered are the kids.

My cousin was also a victim of elite school last time. My aunt is one who loved to brag about how good my cousin is in his studies. Always in the good schools. My cousin worked very hard to achieve her requirements and in the end, he really broke down in JC.. he couldn't take it anymore and had to see a psychologist. After that, his mother finally realised what she had done and now she is much much tone down than before and my cousin is a much happier man now.

So always put your child happiness before your pride. Consider their capabilities and make them a better and happier person.

Elite top school higher in expectation..
Neighbourhood also have good school just do a small research in tht school some nbh school their connection for teacher's and parents is great some dont and not friendly at all...

my friend kid study in kong hwa pri is a great one the teacher work very well with parent ur kids behavious home work nv done all this the teacher emails parents everyday to update ur kids situation in school if they buy thing from bkshop for friend etc... teacher will call up parent.. homework nv done parent also aware they do keep parent update... this sch is very strict and most important the teacher have great connect w parents.. this kind of school is way to success for what I think..

but for my kid unlucky she was located by moe to a west zone sch... she wasnt that lucky the teacher in that school wasnt friendly at all yet the sch wanna top them selve up to top sch list in the next 5yrs as mention but I dont think it can make it..
my experience w this sch was terrible reacher wasnt friendly they dont have connect w parents even parents step up to concern for ur kid situation in sch they vent their anger at kid the next day they go school...

Teacher told my child in a very inpolite manner only I can contact your parent and ur parent is not allowed to contact me in any issue no matter regard of this happen ur parent call me u well get it and my kid was in fear and some time beg me nt to she threaten my girl I use this words mean my girl really felt that way... obe more occasion is my girl jus heard wrongly for a zoo trip which wasnt meant for her class and she told me so I sms texted the teacher to ask double check as consent form nv recieved.. she told me very polite it was a mistake next day my girl go school she yelled and scolded my girl outside the sch library till my girl cry out on the spot and she nv stop
Jus a nothing of misundertake for trip only and I checked w her yet she did this to my child she was her form teacher come mathematic and english. my girl was all tge way grade 1 in math and english.. all the accident happened was during this year pri 2 her term grade 3 for math and grade 2 for english...

I transfer her out of that school and a new sch in west zone have taken her in the first week in new sch my girl told her grandpa I am so happy the teacher there were great they nv scold and yell at you and we can ask question in class the new sch teacher nv scold u infront of...

it was terrible for what my girl have said to her grandpa tgat y I used the word 'threaten' as my kid felt this way now she raise hand answer many question and more livily in her new sch...

that how a parent shld choose a sch important part was TEACHER school Parent bonding connection...
if they dont then even a top school also no point..

Kong Hwa Pri great sch I love their sch connection w parent kid nv stay astray..
happy.gif

Too bad I live in west ..

hi earl_grey . your choice 1 is one of the top 15 school.. and your choice 2 is the top top school.

what make you think that choice 1 is less stressful than the top top school?

Personally, maybe you shld checkout the school to understand its culture before deciding which one to go. there are top school like ai tong that churn out top student as well as way higher passing rate for entire cohort than any other school i've known.. so that one indeed is the TOP school.

My view is, let them be in a normal school.

My child can be in a top school if she wants, but I am not going to send her there. My sister and I were from there. My Sister developed exam phobia and will start to vomit and fall sick whenever an exam is near. Now she is 41, the exam phobia never ceased to disappear.

I registered my elder boy in my hubby's alma mater. Easiest for us without having to worry about ballot.
It is one of the 'top' schools in SG, highly popular with landed properties surrounding it.

We don't stay anywhere near it, thus we've made the decision right from the start that I will be the one dedicated to fetching him and being home with him to guide him with his school work.

And we've given ourselves a timeline. By the end of P2 if he doesn't enjoy the school, we will transfer him to the nearest neighbourhood school near our place.

At the moment the only problem we foresee is Chinese. My boy's Chinese standard is really really poor. No matter how we try, he doesn't enjoy the language and avoids it.

So far he has expressed joy at the new school. We brought him to walk around the place and he loves it. He is very excited and really looking forward to school. I hope we made the right choice for him.

My girl is in P1 this year. Her school is an average neighbourhood school. Though is an average school but they have already segregate the children based on their results for certain subject in 2nd semester. From here I already can sensed the stress level on those being selected children. So no matter is a top school or neighbourhood school, I believe most importantly is the system that the school implement. Teacher plays an important part as well. No matter neighbourhood or elite school, most importantly is your child will be enjoying their 6yrs childhood in that school and not only excel in academic but as well as their morale and character development.

Back