Mummies in Australia?

joe
Mmm... who will help you with your kids if you go for interview? As long as we have child/children , we will get benefits.

Woof
which line are you in right now?
Mmm if you want to be in another line, there are a lot of opportunities for you but you do need to take certification.

In fact, there are a lot of uncertainties. You probably may not want to take the plunge first until you are sure. You may want to take few months leave, come here recci and find a job at the same time. Experience the life here, treat as holiday. Then see how it goes.

aly_nat,

Not crops related farmer.. more like horse rearing, salmon farm and such.. As to why he wanna be a farmer, I never ask since I do not want him going into it! I don't exactly enjoy being a farmer's wife, thank you very much!

p/s: I'm not against tradies or farmers. I just wanna live closer to the city!

hidora,
oic.

Especially for new migrants, if go straight to live in a farm, I think will go crazy, considering we come from a city state like Singapore. I know of wives who didn't even dare stay at home alone at night when they first arrived - too quiet for comfort. Me, on the other hand, enjoy the peace n silence.

mngo,
no. I'm always a visitor. My last stay was Jan 07 - April 09. I'm going over for a 3 week stay this June. Know Canningvale/Riverton quite well. Do u shop at the chinese provision shop along High Rd, or is it South St? Cannot quite remember liao.

We made a decision not to migrate at the moment as we are not prepared to compromise our job/income level. We are happy with just going over for temporary job posting. Should we decide to migrate later, the AZ govt also dun want us once we are past 35. Due to the influx of migrants in recent years, they are very strict with handing our PRships these days, isn't it?

Aly
Highroad has a chinese grocery shop called Chan Brothers.
I go to the one at Bannister road. And also the one near my place.
There's another new grocery shop inside Riverton mall
happy.gif

mngo, the one at Riverton Mall not exactly new. They closed shop while the mall was undergoing reno. Now they r back wif bigger shop unit n open 7 days.

Chinese/Indians/Sri Lankans/Indonesians grocery shops r everywhere. So r Asians restaurants.

Mngo,
I am working in e construction industry as a quantity surveyor, Aussie may referred tat to as estimator.
I understand tat all professions and tradies need cerifications. Tat is a course offered in sgp for Cert III in aged care under tafe. I was so keen to take it up since aus is always short of medical support staff. With this cert, I might progress on to be a qualified nurse if I want to (take more courses). My hubby said tat I am crazy- moving e bedridden old folks around would easily break my back. I gave up on tat idea eventually, think my back can't take it.

Hidora,
I think I am weird, I actually enjoy working. Not use to staying at home, unless I do not have a choice, e.g my pay is not enough to pay for my children childcare. My hubby also suggested tat I be a sahm, we'll make do with watever he earns supplemented with some of our savings

woofwoof,

Unless you are earning a lot, your pay may be just enough to cover childcare for 2 kids, lunch, travel allowances. If that's the case, it's not really worth it imo.

You can either set up your home business which there are mummies doing so or wait until the kids are schooling which is about 4 yrs old. That way, you can save on childcare and can work.

mngo,
like I said, we were there for job posting.I quit my job to join my hb in Aus. I was SAHM to my #1 who attended kindy - Yr 2. And in 2008, our #2 was borned in aus. It was a wonderful experience, and fullfilling time, being at home for my gals. It never cross my mind that I would be a SAHM, and actually enjoyed it. Prior to that, hb had postings to Qld n NT, too!

Woofwoof, not weird lah. Otherwise, I also another weirdo like you. I also enjoyed my work, and would never dream of being a SAHM. But my time in Aus with my girls made me change my mind. In Singapore, we have family support, and affordable options like domestic helpers or subsidised child care (but let's not talk abt quality hor). In Aus, these were not quite an option for us. I think it's all up to individuals. We had our #1 while living in Europe, and upon our return, I went back to work when she turned 16 months becos I couldn't tahan staying at home. Years later, my mindset changed. Maybe age is catching up liao
sad.gif

But, yes, there is a need to compromise on spending in a single income household. Opportunity cost lah.

hidora,
agree. I often remind my friend who has migrated, to remember the reason for migration. One of it being having the opportunity to spend time with her kids, and being instrumental to their upbringing. Let me clarify before anyone jumps at me, I'm not saying if your kids are taken care of by someone else, their upbringing is being compromised, ok. No offence.

Woofwoof,
If u choose to continue working, at least u know the system in Aus is more pro-family than that of Sin. I'm sure u can work out a win win situation. Make sure u know your employment rights. Talk about equal opportunity and rights, I have friends whose Aussie employer tries to take advantage of their being new in Aus. But there are also nice employers around.

hidora,
you also SAHM? Are u near brighton? I think the bath-boxes on Brighton Beach are beautiful, but my friend says I'm mad
sad.gif
. Dun think can find anything like that anywhere else in the world.

mngo

good to hear that aged care is a good option. but it is physically very draining?

hidora

so the school hours are very long? long enough to allow the mother to work full time? In sgp, primary school is typically 5-6 hours a day. I never research into that area, I always thought tat childcare is my only option.

woof
i m not sure. i'll find out. sch hrs r from 9-3 0r 830-230.
most companies allows moms to work sch hrs. i work from 930-230 everysay

aly_nat,

Yup, SAHM ever since I moved here a few yrs ago. Not near Brighton. I'm staying at Cannignton.
happy.gif

woofwoof,

Sch hours are as per mngo mentioned.

Hi Esther,
Im not in Perth yet, just been going in and out.
Planning to move there next year, and when we do, we'll be in NOR also, around ALexander Heights.

oooh ok, did anyone join any playgroups or mother's groups? Do we generally just communicate here? Has anyone met up? My baby is still young though - 5 & 1/2 months, I can't stay out for very long. I'm currently a SAHM...

athlete, moving with your whole family? Have you got everything organised? Can send me a message again if you need help.

Esther
Some of us has already met.
There are also mother's group in Perth. But I did not join any because i had my own circle of friends.

Esther,

I do join a playgroup here but its on SOR, at Parkwood. Its only once a week. I'm looking at other programs cos my 2+ kid is asking to go to school everyday cos her big sis goes to sch Mon-Fri.

woofwoof,

Friends in aged care told me that sometimes it can be physically draining. Must hv lots of patience. Not as easy as many pple thot...

Hentang
thanks for checking... Never expected it to be an easy job. In fact, no job is easy, each has its own challenges, even sahm

woof
i was told bullying is part of life.
My son has not encounter such incident yet because he's still small - k2.

Generally, children not picked on based on race. But kids still prefer to mix with those they are famiiar with, is it the same with adults?

My son is in a school with 99 % white. He has no issue making friends, though it was abit tough in the begining. Have to be thick skin, and try to make friends. If you are shrinking violet, it may be more difficult to make friends in schools that are predominant white. Sometimes, kids do say insensitive things. But usually being insensitive, not done purposely.

In most primary schools, there is at least teacher on school yard duty. If you have concern about your kid fitting in as a miniority, there are schools around that 80 % of the school are asians. But for me, I will not put the kid in the school, becos it is an unrealistic demographics. He has learnt some point in time, that he needs to adapt and know how to integrate into real world. He is different from his school mates, and he has to deal with it. And sometimes our values are different.

Usually catholic schools and private schools have less instances of bullying and better discipline.

Woof
I agree with Hopeac.
My son's school is quite multicultural.
There are africans, asians (chinese,indonesian, burmese, singaporeans), whites, japanese, etc.
So far, he's doing well in school and his buddy is an Australian Caucasion boy
happy.gif

Mngo & Hopeac,
Great to hear that.
My cousins' and friends' kids in Perth and Melb also have very multi-cultural school friends.
Actually, I find only in Singapore that the kids tend to to stick to "their own".

Then hope tat my son can blend in well in school, his good fren in school is an Indian girl- I also hope tat he mixes with diff races when he starts school there,

changes to skill migration
if I had not mistaken, they are revamping e skill list to reflect e exact labour situation in aus. E list would be out in may, not sure if it is out on their immi web.
But i heard tat even with yr profession on e skill list, it doesn't necessary mean tat u can get a job easily. True?

re: changes to skilled migration
i hope it'll not affect dependent's application cos we just submitted for our child abt 2 weeks ago.

hi Athlete,
Don't think Dependent's application will be affected. They are after all tagged to parents... so if you've already gotten your PR, your child's visa should be approved. At the earliest... within the month
happy.gif

hello Mummies, I am teena,i and my husband are health professionals (Occupational Therapist),we have 2 years old son and we are planning to relocate to australia.Looking at area like perth or similar slow paced place.We hold a three room flat in singapore.We want to have a slow and relaxed life with lots of time for family.We also wish to own a decent spacious 'House'and car.Also looking at more round up education for the children...I intend to have second child in next 1-2 years too.Please advise me on following things-
1- Should we sell off our flat in Singapore before we move.(I was thinking to keep it first as back up,just in case if we dont find the place very suitable).
2- Is S$20k as a initial sum,enough to survive for the family of three, if one person got job there?
3-How expensive are the houses there in perth,if we wish to stay near to city?
4- Is there any real racial thing there,or any discriminations towards asians?
5- What would be the maternity charges in a normal decent hospital if I wish to give birth there?

I really appreciate ur help.

Thanks

teena
1) thats your own decision. some sell. some rent out.

2) depends on your living habits. and for how many months? wat type of car u wanna buy?

3) check www.realestate.com.au. suburb = perth city.
some of them is $700K at millpoint road.

4) not tat i know of

5) yes and no. r u pr or not ? hv u got health insurance or not?

Thanks a lot mngo,
We are applying for PR,we have health insurance from NTUC Income...do we need to opt out and take another insurance in australia.My main objective of going there to have a easier life with house and all round growth for children...do u think,we can achieve those there.

teena
Pls chk with NTUC how you going to claim it when you are in Australia?

I am sorry, but life here is NOT easy.

Since you are not a PR yet, dont worry abt all these! Unless you are coming over here next week or next month. Get your pr first and worry later.

hi Teena,
Nowdays, it is not really that easy to get your own place especially with spacious house and big garden near the city. Most of these come close to 1 million. This was possible like 5 to 7 years ago. Even aussies find it difficult to afford a place of their own. So most pple hav to have dual income just to afford their own place.

Rounded growth for children, is really depependent on parent. Though the pace of school may be slower, but some parents send their children to alot of enrichment classes abd extra claasses. Or give their kids extra work, becos they find the school system to relax. Similarly, you can still have all round growh for children in singapore, if you choose not to give tutition and extra enrichment.

Health insurance in singapore is not transferable. If your employer does not provide health insurance, it is around 2 to 3 K a year.

If you are PR, I think maternity charges are minimal, I think hidora and andrea can answer it better.

Racial. I will be lying if I say there is no. You just have to learn to deal with it. Racism is in every country, it applies to all minitorities. If you don't want to experience it, then stay in a country that you are the majority.

Thanks a lot,my hus is really very keen though I am quite happy here in singapore.He thinks that australia is the better place to raise children as lots of outdoor things to do plus can have bigger home and better life but seems things are not that easy, somemore we will have to start all over from scratch...and off course I cant have my second baby so soon also....sigh,,wish my hubby could understand me

Hi teena,
I understand what you're going through.
My husband also is the one who's keen on migrating to Aust.
For me, i'm comfortable here, but at the same time, I understand his needs and reasons to move.
Migrating is a huge, life-changing decision.
Ultimately, you BOTH need to be happy with whatever decisions you BOTH make.
Honestly speaking, there's no point in just "going along" and you end up being miserable, and then start blaming each other etc.

Sorry if I sound a bit harsh, but I've seen it happen and so just giving my honest opinion.

hey athlete, thanks a lot,no u didnt sound harsh at all.Yeah, I am really perplexed...well no doubt I also want a better standard of life..our profession also better paid there,but another point is we would not be able to plan for second child so soon.Do u think,its better to have baby here first then migrate after a year or so or first migrate,settle down bit then plan for the second child?Hubby says, if I give birth there,the child will be citizen by birth...

Back