Monster In Law

Saddness

I have been rather sad w my Mil to the stage that I hope I have no dealings with her. Too many things happen recently and it all trigger to the point that I decided not to give in anymore. All along I treated her like my own.. but things gets bad without reasons or warning.
Cases such as..

Going over for a short stay w my parents - She reminded me I am married off and should not go back n stay over leaving hubby alone. But my hubby did not object. He could come along with me if he wants. I never stopped him. Mil was angry with my remarks and reminded I am now "property" of their family instead of mine.

My gal' full month - can u imagine I begged her to attend? Even after I cried and asked her why she does not wants to come.. she dun give me any reason. She did came at the end after my hubby went after her. I kinda going to depression during the confinement with her unreasonable treatment. I cried throughout each time I feel sorry for my gal.

My sister wedding - the same thing happen..Despite I demanded a reason, ask her what wrong did I did or if my family offended her. She just stay silent n refuse to talk. My sis deliver her the wedding card and my dad called either. . Still she did not appear.

My grandmother funeral which is recently - she too did not appear. Well I kinda expected this outcome but till today I dun hv any reason why she is behaving this way.

Since granny passes on recently, I will not be celebrating CNY. Of cos. My hubby can still go ahead with the kids. I knew i could celebrate with hubby but the tot mil did not even attend granny's wake piss me off.. i decided not to. Then comes the problem..
One evening, she reminded me again.. "u are already married off and you should follow your husband side for cny. I asked many old people for advice and they shared the same view. What kind of cny will I have if there is no ang bao n oranges from you! Did your parents teach you bad?! "
I was angry and I told her.. well I will come on 1st day of cny to greet u with oranges n ang bao since you want ir but I will not go n visit yr relatives for cny since hubby is working as well. My parents side not celebrating only. I remain silent while she walks off.... in my heart I was thinking.. u dun even respect my family whilst attending granny's funeral n u still expect me to celebrate cny w yr family. I was pissed but kept it silent. Cos I know there is no point since she will never share reasons w me. I just wanna make her feel bad as how she likes to do it on me without reason.

I told hubby how I felt but he too advised me to ignore as his mother cannot communicate even to him. So there is no point for me to talk to her. She will never talk things out. But I knew things will get worst if we dun talk.

The worst is I will need to visit her every weekdays night for dinner cos. I am not able to cook in time for my kids due to work and Mil will want to see her grandson. (Which was bought up by her). My two daughters treatment.. needless to say were almost transparent to her.

Each time I think of how she treated me.. I dun feel like going back... let alone cny reunion lunch. But I am left with no choice as I dun wanna upset anyone in this process. Now I feel so depressed each time I think.. I definitely cannot let go. Wat should I do?

Well, she does seem quite unreasonable. While older folks often have firm beliefs about CNY visiting... I say she is unreasonable due to her proclamation that you are now her property!

If your hubby can't even communicate with his mom, I don't see why you're so bothered that you would cry?

Well, she does seem quite unreasonable. While older folks often have firm beliefs about CNY visiting... I say she is unreasonable due to her proclamation that you are now her property!

If your hubby can't even communicate with his mom, I don't see why you're so bothered that you would cry?
All the while I worked hard to have harmony with hubby's family. Trying to make hubby understand and loving her. Like a big happy family for both sides. Treating her like my own mother. What I do not understand is why things become bad without reason. Trying hard to salvage but seems impossible and helpless.

Someone else on this forum has similar problems but it's his own mom. I thought for a moment that you two may be husband and wife. Lol. Sorry.. it's not funny. :oops:

https://singaporemotherhood.com/forum/threads/advice-needed-from-you.221245/
Nope.. we are unique individuals. At least he does speak up for his wife where my hubby has given up and leaving me alone to deal with her.
Cos he has no power over it at all. Sometimes I wonder why Mil does not give a damn to Dil who trying so hard to pull everyone together. Is upsetting.

Nope.. we are unique individuals. At least he does speak up for his wife where my hubby has given up and leaving me alone to deal with her.
Cos he has no power over it at all. Sometimes I wonder why Mil does not give a damn to Dil who trying so hard to pull everyone together. Is upsetting.

I guess it is a common issue between MIL & DIL regardless which culture we are in, I have done some reading up online for advice to deal with mine. The interesting thing is the only link is the husband/son. One think husband have be learn is to make his wife his priority, but don’t leave his mother out. I strongly hold to it but tend to be defensive when my mum say nasty things about my wife when she's emotional. Yesterday, I apologized to her and had a heart to heart talk. I am glad it ended well and my wife is happy about the outcome.

Initially we were both concerned about my mum's reaction and was afraid it will turn towards a bad outcome. I was also ready to let my wife live separately to protect both parties.

One thing i have learnt is never to let my wife to manage the relationship with MIL, especially dealing with "old school" MIL. The MIL will listen to their son more, however, son must be ready to hold his stand strong before MIL receive the message. Do you wish to give it another shot for your hubby to talk to his mum again?

I have been rather sad w my Mil to the stage that I hope I have no dealings with her. Too many things happen recently and it all trigger to the point that I decided not to give in anymore. All along I treated her like my own.. but things gets bad without reasons or warning.
Cases such as..

Going over for a short stay w my parents - She reminded me I am married off and should not go back n stay over leaving hubby alone. But my hubby did not object. He could come along with me if he wants. I never stopped him. Mil was angry with my remarks and reminded I am now "property" of their family instead of mine.

My gal' full month - can u imagine I begged her to attend? Even after I cried and asked her why she does not wants to come.. she dun give me any reason. She did came at the end after my hubby went after her. I kinda going to depression during the confinement with her unreasonable treatment. I cried throughout each time I feel sorry for my gal.

My sister wedding - the same thing happen..Despite I demanded a reason, ask her what wrong did I did or if my family offended her. She just stay silent n refuse to talk. My sis deliver her the wedding card and my dad called either. . Still she did not appear.

My grandmother funeral which is recently - she too did not appear. Well I kinda expected this outcome but till today I dun hv any reason why she is behaving this way.

Since granny passes on recently, I will not be celebrating CNY. Of cos. My hubby can still go ahead with the kids. I knew i could celebrate with hubby but the tot mil did not even attend granny's wake piss me off.. i decided not to. Then comes the problem..
One evening, she reminded me again.. "u are already married off and you should follow your husband side for cny. I asked many old people for advice and they shared the same view. What kind of cny will I have if there is no ang bao n oranges from you! Did your parents teach you bad?! "
I was angry and I told her.. well I will come on 1st day of cny to greet u with oranges n ang bao since you want ir but I will not go n visit yr relatives for cny since hubby is working as well. My parents side not celebrating only. I remain silent while she walks off.... in my heart I was thinking.. u dun even respect my family whilst attending granny's funeral n u still expect me to celebrate cny w yr family. I was pissed but kept it silent. Cos I know there is no point since she will never share reasons w me. I just wanna make her feel bad as how she likes to do it on me without reason.

I told hubby how I felt but he too advised me to ignore as his mother cannot communicate even to him. So there is no point for me to talk to her. She will never talk things out. But I knew things will get worst if we dun talk.

The worst is I will need to visit her every weekdays night for dinner cos. I am not able to cook in time for my kids due to work and Mil will want to see her grandson. (Which was bought up by her). My two daughters treatment.. needless to say were almost transparent to her.

Each time I think of how she treated me.. I dun feel like going back... let alone cny reunion lunch. But I am left with no choice as I dun wanna upset anyone in this process. Now I feel so depressed each time I think.. I definitely cannot let go. Wat should I do?
Don't be depressed. You're not alone because my pil are far worst than yours. I just close eyes close ears and living thinking my parents have been loving doting me all they wan is me being happy. Why should I cry and depressed over people who don't deserve me to feel for.

Sent from my E5563 using Forum mobile app

My mom passed away 6 months ago. I am having similar issue as you and that is my mil thinks that I am already married into their family thus I should follow their family for cny visiting. The thing is I am still grieving over my mom's sudden death. Each time I see any cny things I will remember the last cny celebration I had with my mom last cny. It's sad and I simply can't bring myself to be merry and celebrate cny let alone cny visiting. My dad understands when I told him.

Well your are his wife and the other party is also his mum. If me were him me too will remain slient.
My MIL also did not treat me well in the past. Shame me in front of my friends, relatives. Noisy over my affairs and always want to be part of us whenever our family outing. But I truely pity her bcos she has problem getting along w ppl.. has little true frens, not close to own children and even my BIL trying to push her around after using her for years.

Some mil have old traditional thinking. Maybe your mother in law is abit superstitious on certain thing. Like my grandfather he don't go funeral, hospital, even my son full month cause they too superstitious sacred back luck fell on them.
Anyway my best advice to u is to move out with your our family stay alone don't stay with in law and try not to go back asked them for help. If can get someone to help u in cooking and takecare your kids for you.
Sometime we have to learn to be independent. Is hard and tough for new couple jus started family . If u have family support u are lucky. Some don't have have to all by yourself.

All the while I worked hard to have harmony with hubby's family. Trying to make hubby understand and loving her. Like a big happy family for both sides. Treating her like my own mother. What I do not understand is why things become bad without reason. Trying hard to salvage but seems impossible and helpless.
Sometime think for yourself before think for others. Cause when u need help none will come to help u. Even how u want the family to be harmony . If ones doesn't want it there will be no outcome. Cause the thinking will not be change.

In the past and even till now I will always struggle and feel unhappy even just the sight of her. You need to sort it out and ask urself if tis is ur mum wat will u do? Perhaps just do ur best. Even she is hostile towards u. No point getting upset w her saying abt ur family. Just do ur best for wat u can for her, and do what is right for u & ur family.

My mom passed away 6 months ago. I am having similar issue as you and that is my mil thinks that I am already married into their family thus I should follow their family for cny visiting. The thing is I am still grieving over my mom's sudden death. Each time I see any cny things I will remember the last cny celebration I had with my mom last cny. It's sad and I simply can't bring myself to be merry and celebrate cny let alone cny visiting. My dad understands when I told him.
I am sorry to hear that. I am still grieving for granny as well. The pain for a dil is when our Mil treated us like a property that we need to follow their ruling without opposing. Dun they think about how we will feel?? I hope your hubby will speak up for you and not like mine. Today seems like hell for me going over for reunion lunch with her. Tomorrow will be even worst. Dun worry you are not alone. I will be going thru with you.

Well your are his wife and the other party is also his mum. If me were him me too will remain slient.
My MIL also did not treat me well in the past. Shame me in front of my friends, relatives. Noisy over my affairs and always want to be part of us whenever our family outing. But I truely pity her bcos she has problem getting along w ppl.. has little true frens, not close to own children and even my BIL trying to push her around after using her for years.
Yes no doubt my hubby will be struck between 2 ladies he love. But this needs to be resolved. If he leave it this way or decided to remain silent, over time things will only get worst. There is no genuine love between the dil and Mil. Family just meet together for the sake to maintain a "relationship". I do not think this is what I want for my Mil or hubby.
I cannot do bridging alone. . Someone is right at least he did the bridging and did a beautiful closure for his mom and wife.
I hope I will be able to find a solution. Taking it slowly step by step. Hopefully Mil will not trigger me today again.

Some mil have old traditional thinking. Maybe your mother in law is abit superstitious on certain thing. Like my grandfather he don't go funeral, hospital, even my son full month cause they too superstitious sacred back luck fell on them.
Anyway my best advice to u is to move out with your our family stay alone don't stay with in law and try not to go back asked them for help. If can get someone to help u in cooking and takecare your kids for you.
Sometime we have to learn to be independent. Is hard and tough for new couple jus started family . If u have family support u are lucky. Some don't have have to all by yourself.
I am not staying with Mil. I am also now trying not to go back for dinner as much as I can. Planning to cook before going work. But will slowly detach from her as she will give my hubby another disaster if she fails to see her grandson or him.
MIL did attend relatives furneral and my SIL's father wake and she was excused from cny visit claiming she is not feeling well. Just because SIL is staying with her??? She left me with no clue why am I getting this treatment.

In the past and even till now I will always struggle and feel unhappy even just the sight of her. You need to sort it out and ask urself if tis is ur mum wat will u do? Perhaps just do ur best. Even she is hostile towards u. No point getting upset w her saying abt ur family. Just do ur best for wat u can for her, and do what is right for u & ur family.
I got your point.. think I will need time to get it sort out.

Yes no doubt my hubby will be struck between 2 ladies he love. But this needs to be resolved. If he leave it this way or decided to remain silent, over time things will only get worst. There is no genuine love between the dil and Mil. Family just meet together for the sake to maintain a "relationship". I do not think this is what I want for my Mil or hubby.
I cannot do bridging alone. . Someone is right at least he did the bridging and did a beautiful closure for his mom and wife.
I hope I will be able to find a solution. Taking it slowly step by step. Hopefully Mil will not trigger me today again.
Seems that he couldn't handle her. Perhap u can try if not mayb just leave it. Just do ur best u can and for ur hubby sake put her up thou I know is not gonna resolve the issue.
Another thing I always do is imagine in future how i wish my children will take care of me when me and my hubby trying to be reasonable.
I am not staying with Mil. I am also now trying not to go back for dinner as much as I can. Planning to cook before going work. But will slowly detach from her as she will give my hubby another disaster if she fails to see her grandson or him.
MIL did attend relatives furneral and my SIL's father wake and she was excused from cny visit claiming she is not feeling well. Just because SIL is staying with her??? She left me with no clue why am I getting this treatment.

I am sorry to hear that. I am still grieving for granny as well. The pain for a dil is when our Mil treated us like a property that we need to follow their ruling without opposing. Dun they think about how we will feel?? I hope your hubby will speak up for you and not like mine. Today seems like hell for me going over for reunion lunch with her. Tomorrow will be even worst. Dun worry you are not alone. I will be going thru with you.
My in laws have been staying with us for many years. One would think that we will learn to adapt to each others differences after living under one roof for many years but it's not the case for me and mil. I have learnt silence is best way. I avoid unnecessary chats because my mil and I do not see eye to eye. She does not agree or approve to everything I do. My mil is a housewife and has never work for an employer in her whole life. It is impossible to even talk reason with her. I have long given up.
We are having reunion dinner with the in laws. In fact we have dinner together everyday so everyday is already reunion dinner which is why I don't see the point except the food on the table are more sumptuous that's all.
We are going for local hotel staycation to spend cny as I have mentioned here earlier that I don't have the mood to go cny visiting.
My mil was no doubt furious that we are not going cny visiting with her which we have been doing so diligently every CNY. I still don't understand why my mil cannot empathize with my still grieving heart after all I have lost my mother (due to sudden death) for only half a year. About 2 weeks after my mother's passing, my mil asked me when will I start wearing red clothes again. Can you see how insensitive my mil is?
Every year it's always the same stress, she has her high level of spring cleaning expectation and want everything her way. We have to replace old spoilt items or furniture using our own money just coz her relatives are coming to our house on cny. There was one year where nobody came to our house on cny and mil threw a fit. Her idea of cny is to show off to her relatives and play a good host serving them sumptuous lunch or dinner and house must be spick and span.
I know it is very hard but we dils should try to ignore and don't get so upset over what mil does or not do because we are not brought up by them and not their own flesh and blood. At least you are not staying under the same roof as your mil.

About 2 weeks after my mother's passing, my mil asked me when will I start wearing red clothes again. Can you see how insensitive my mil is?

That is so mean of her. I will be probably brawling at her. I can see that you have lots of patience and endurance with her and the amazing love for your husband to stay with her. That is not easy.

Thanks for sharing the part to remain silence. I think this is the only choice for me as well. Just reminded my husband that I will leave after reunion lunch and dun always refer his mom to me for a reply. Cos in the end, her mom will force her decision on me. I will remain silence so dun agitate me.

Hopefully today will pass by fast!

I don't see my pil as my parents. I do not hold any fantasy that they will treat me like I'm their children. I keep an at least respectful relationship. But that's abt it. I think it's more practical to adjust ur expectation on the relationship. U will do less and expect less returns. Keeps you happy.
Don't get me wrong they piss me off all the time, but the thing is I fully expect them to.
I don't mind going to their place to eat cos they cook decently well. Not that I enjoy the small talk or interaction with them. To me it's a free meal!!! Home cooked. I don't need to go buy. So I go there call them, smile and have the free meal.
With that my pil also dun expect too much from me. Or rather cannot expect too much from me. Very well conditioned through the years.

That is so mean of her. I will be probably brawling at her. I can see that you have lots of patience and endurance with her and the amazing love for your husband to stay with her. That is not easy.

Thanks for sharing the part to remain silence. I think this is the only choice for me as well. Just reminded my husband that I will leave after reunion lunch and dun always refer his mom to me for a reply. Cos in the end, her mom will force her decision on me. I will remain silence so dun agitate me.

Hopefully today will pass by fast!
Remember that you marry the man you love and not his mother. Don't let his parents affect your marriage. It's just not worth it. The good thing is you don't have to see her face 24/7.

Enjoy your long weekend and smile

I got married last year and PIL have been staying at our place while waiting for their house to be ready. I never had the intention to stay with PIL as I cannot stand my MIL unreasonable behavior. She throws tantrums all the time and will go to the extent of threatening suicide if we don't give in.

She's extremely OCD and keeps complaining that she has to clean up after me because my long hair drops around the house. Now I try to pick up every strand of hair that I see but she still complains. I feel so stressed living in my own house! She also complains to her friends that she does all the housework and her DIL does nothing. We told her we will do the housework ourselves but she insisted cos she feels that we're not clean enough. Then again, she told me that as a wife I must SERVE my husband. What does she want?!

She raises her voice at us frequently. Maybe HB and FIL are immune to it but I cannot help feeling affected. All along I try to ignore and just walk away. There was once I went overseas with my girlfriends and she kicked up a big fuss. To her, as a married woman I must go home to sleep every night, otherwise how will she know if I spent the night out with another guy! That really crossed the line and I scolded her back. I was very upset that both HB and FIL just kept quiet even though HB was okay with me going overseas with my friends. No one stood up for me.

FIL is no better. He was against the idea of us buying a HDB and insisted that we buy an EC instead. He made us buy a dual key unit since we can rent out the studio and use the rental income to cover our expenses. When we collected our keys, he kept pressurizing us to get all the renovation done by a certain date so that he can move in without extending his lease. We let them move in when we hardly cleared any defects. Now that he has collected his keys, he wants to clear all his defects before moving in. We need a definite date in order to start looking for a tenant but every month he tells us MAYBE next month. He is fully aware that the rental income will lighten our burden yet he is taking his own sweet time.

I can't wait for the both of them to move out but every time we ask FIL for a date, he becomes hostile. Living with PIL is straining the relationship between HB and I as he feels sandwiched between us. He doesn't want to try to resolve this issue and prefers to live in his own bubble. What should I do?

Remember that you marry the man you love and not his mother. Don't let his parents affect your marriage. It's just not worth it. The good thing is you don't have to see her face 24/7.

Enjoy your long weekend and smile

I think important to assess in laws before marriage too...I didn't and thought they were ok people but turn out to be monsters in laws...

Back