Kid with Diabetic Type 1

Miss Lemonade

Hi,

I'm a single mum, my son was born in Feb 2008. He was diagnosed with diabetic type 1 in 2010, fully dependent on insulin injection.

Any mum here have experience, be it knowledge or ur kid also a diabetic type 1 patient.

As my son will be going to Primary 1 next year, I'm kind of lost. He will be stepping into a total new environment, and there are many external factor like others kids may joke over his sickness. As he need to test his glucose every 3 hourly. I can't ask him to hide somewhere to test it.

I'm now so worried, and hope anyone here who have knowledge on this can enlighten me.

Thanks in advance

Hi,perhaps you like to seek nurses advise from the Health Promotion Board or KK Hospital for guidance how your son can take his jab? Heard that these nurses who attended to children are more emphatatic and can share knowledge with you..

Hi,perhaps you like to seek nurses advise from the Health Promotion Board or KK Hospital for guidance how your son can take his jab? Heard that these nurses who attended to children are more emphatatic and can share knowledge with you..

Hi thanks for your advise ^^,

I'm actually waiting for his diabetic nurse to advise. But still maybe I'm too paranoid over it... As I feel a mother with experience may have better view on this.

Hi..not sure if this info will be of help. I dun have any similar experience but i used to have a classmate back in pri sch who has a similar illness. Our form teacher knew of her condition n i remember her taking her jabs in e class itself in full view of e whole class. Then again, kids during our time may differ from e kids nowadays. Ur child form teacher should be informed n I'm sure he or she will try to make it as comfortable possible for ur child. U may also help ur child to be prepared n conditioned for such situation in class n importantly ur child should know it is not wrong or at least not ur child fault for having this illness. God knows how strong a child he or she is. :)

Hi..not sure if this info will be of help. I dun have any similar experience but i used to have a classmate back in pri sch who has a similar illness. Our form teacher knew of her condition n i remember her taking her jabs in e class itself in full view of e whole class. Then again, kids during our time may differ from e kids nowadays. Ur child form teacher should be informed n I'm sure he or she will try to make it as comfortable possible for ur child. U may also help ur child to be prepared n conditioned for such situation in class n importantly ur child should know it is not wrong or at least not ur child fault for having this illness. God knows how strong a child he or she is. :)

Thanks so much for your advise. Ya really our days are really different. To me I don't wish my son to feel he is abnormal in a new environment, as he is a very cheerful boy up till today.

Your words does enlightened me somehow... Thanks alot... I hope things isn't that bad as I have thought ^^

Back