Ivf @ NUH

My experience is to prepare for the egg collection:
Qoo10, Blackmores conceive well, Exercise regularly, Drink home-made black soy milk
After egg collection, drink watermelon juice or energy drink.
After embryo transfer, lie on bed often but don't lie all the time.

May i add on that after embroyo transfer, we can take brazil nuts to aid implantation :)

Referral letter from polyclinic if you don’t have preference gynae. Wait for 1-2 weeks NUH will send sms for your appointment. Usually the appointment about 1 month. Consultation and examination will entitle subsidy rate.

If you call to NUH direct to make appointment it will be considered private patient and can choose your prefer gynae and no subsidy.

Once start with IVF journey it will be private patient for all.

Thanks for the reply! Still can't decide if we should choose a gyne and take the private route all the way haha. Hope we can come to a conclusion soon!

Hi...I'm new here. Would like to know more about the ivf in nuh. Is there any weight concern or criteria before doing ivf. Cause went to kkh, they say BMI cannot be more than 36

2C8B385D-1349-405E-A055-DCAF2DF9A856.jpeg
NUH lab schedule for April-May:

Hi bluekarma85,

Im new here as well. :) My BMI is 32 and wasnt told not to be able to proceed with IUI/IVF but of coz on usual advice, they did encourage that i cut some weights for better chances. I was 30 back then (2018) when i requested for straight IVF but was told by Sr Shakina to try for IUI first for few attempts. Had 2 failed IUI and opted for IVF then.

I started my first IVF cycle with NUH in Nov 2018. Went for counselling & took jabs for eggs stimulation etc till Dr Anu discovered a polyp in my uterus during the last scan before my ER. We did the ER first (Dec 2018) & then had my polyps removed in Jan 2019. I had 1 polyp removed abt a year ago & it came back with 2 so hysteroscopy did it all. Endo scratch was done too.

I've just started with Acupuncture & TCM few days ago and would need to wait till March (sadly i cant proceed with my stims & ET in feb 2019 yet). Such a long wait!

I hv four 6 day blastocyst frozed waiting for me. Decided to transfer 2 for my first attempt & im only 31. Doc advised on 1 but so long as i've understood all the risks that it took, he is all okay with it. Then again, this is still all up to fate and not me. *finger crossed*

Im also taking daily multi-vitamins & eating dates/nuts everyday. (Walnuts & brazil nuts particularly).

I'll keep you posted for any updates! All the best to u!

Hello Kind Souls

I am new with IVF. Will start treatment in March. I am currently also trying out acupuncture and taking the chinese medicine as I was told it will help 'warm up' my uterus.

Has anyone tried doing both at the same time? Is it recommended?
I read that acupuncture may help but has anyone took the medicine whilst doing the treatment?

Hi NoraDeschanel,

I've just started doing Acupuncture tgt with chinese medicines in a form of powder. To drink with warm water twice daily. Read alot online that its good for the uterus & might help in terms of blood circulation. Well, really hope it does!

Hi NoraDeschanel,

I've just started doing Acupuncture tgt with chinese medicines in a form of powder. To drink with warm water twice daily. Read alot online that its good for the uterus & might help in terms of blood circulation. Well, really hope it does!

Hello Wast31

Thanks. Have u started IVF?

I read that some says it is good and some said to avoid the medicine.

I am currently doing acupuncture and taking the medicine before i officially start the process in March.

Hello Wast31

Thanks. Have u started IVF?

I read that some says it is good and some said to avoid the medicine.

I am currently doing acupuncture and taking the medicine before i officially start the process in March.

i took tcm herbs and Blackmore conceive well gold before IVF in Nov. i went for D2 scan and found some cysts. Nurse asked what did i take prior to the cycle. She checked with the Dr and Dr asked me to stop both. Only take folic acid. Nov cycle was cancelled.
Dec scan was ok so i proceed but unsuccessful.

Best to check with the Dr. i am with KKH.

i took tcm herbs and Blackmore conceive well gold before IVF in Nov. i went for D2 scan and found some cysts. Nurse asked what did i take prior to the cycle. She checked with the Dr and Dr asked me to stop both. Only take folic acid. Nov cycle was cancelled.
Dec scan was ok so i proceed but unsuccessful.

Best to check with the Dr. i am with KKH.

Thank you!

Hi ladies, i'm wondering if there is any of u thats doing endo scratch for their IVF
in NUH?

Hi ladies,

Just wondering if go for blood test & gynae scan as appointed during 2nd-4th day of menses. Will you able to request medical certificate or time off chit from fertility center?

Hi afyn,

Doc discovered that there's a polyp during my last scan before egg retrieval & i had undergone hysteroscopy surgery to had the polyp removed. Just had an appt with the doc again & was told that they also did some endo scratch to help it all out. Hopefully! :)

Hi NoraDeschanel,

Ive started the whole process back in Oct/Nov 2018 and had it delayed due to polyps which was later discovered during my last scan before my ER. Im with NUH btw.

I've read alot about tcm & acupuncture that can help boost chances then again, still its best to consult your own doc & my is all okay with it. I'll be waiting for March to start my stims & egg transfer.

Hi NoraDeschanel,

Ive started the whole process back in Oct/Nov 2018 and had it delayed due to polyps which was later discovered during my last scan before my ER. Im with NUH btw.

I've read alot about tcm & acupuncture that can help boost chances then again, still its best to consult your own doc & my is all okay with it. I'll be waiting for March to start my stims & egg transfer.

Thank you! I have started tcm and acupuncture. Physician said it is best to continue tcm prior until ER but i am still worried. I am ok to go ahead woth acupuncure throughout.

Shall ask prof when I see him in March.

Babydust to u.

Hi bluekarma85,

Im new here as well. :) My BMI is 32 and wasnt told not to be able to proceed with IUI/IVF but of coz on usual advice, they did encourage that i cut some weights for better chances. I was 30 back then (2018) when i requested for straight IVF but was told by Sr Shakina to try for IUI first for few attempts. Had 2 failed IUI and opted for IVF then.

I started my first IVF cycle with NUH in Nov 2018. Went for counselling & took jabs for eggs stimulation etc till Dr Anu discovered a polyp in my uterus during the last scan before my ER. We did the ER first (Dec 2018) & then had my polyps removed in Jan 2019. I had 1 polyp removed abt a year ago & it came back with 2 so hysteroscopy did it all. Endo scratch was done too.

I've just started with Acupuncture & TCM few days ago and would need to wait till March (sadly i cant proceed with my stims & ET in feb 2019 yet). Such a long wait!

I hv four 6 day blastocyst frozed waiting for me. Decided to transfer 2 for my first attempt & im only 31. Doc advised on 1 but so long as i've understood all the risks that it took, he is all okay with it. Then again, this is still all up to fate and not me. *finger crossed*

Im also taking daily multi-vitamins & eating dates/nuts everyday. (Walnuts & brazil nuts particularly).

I'll keep you posted for any updates! All the best to u!

Thanks for the advice, I was told also by sgh and kkh...to lose wt was really difficult for me. Coz of the criteria I was devastated,even we have the money still can't proceed...

My 1st stim was using gonal-f (pen injection type) dosage 25. my 2nd was using menupur dosage I forgot. Both stimulate for 12days. Trigger shot on day13. Eggs extraction on day16.
Hi how’s the trigger shot at nuh? It’s at tigh or stomach?

Just had my hsg test, blood test and scan and will be going for my next doctor appointment at NUH on Friday. My husband has very low sperm count, low motility, basically every category also low. The last consultation, doctor suggested going with iui, but thinking if it's possible to skip iui and go straight to ivf if I don't have blocked tubes. Any experience from any one here?

Also, what's the rough timeline if doctor say can go for ivf? How soon can the counselling be scheduled and how soon can we start after that?

Just had my hsg test, blood test and scan and will be going for my next doctor appointment at NUH on Friday. My husband has very low sperm count, low motility, basically every category also low. The last consultation, doctor suggested going with iui, but thinking if it's possible to skip iui and go straight to ivf if I don't have blocked tubes. Any experience from any one here?

Also, what's the rough timeline if doctor say can go for ivf? How soon can the counselling be scheduled and how soon can we start after that?
I said we don’t want IUI, Prof Wong was Ok with that and scheduled us to ivf. Soonest you can start ivf injection it’s from second mences.

I said we don’t want IUI, Prof Wong was Ok with that and scheduled us to ivf. Soonest you can start ivf injection it’s from second mences.

I see. We haven't seen Prof Wong yet. Our appointment is still at clinic G. Means we will have to go for the appointment, then schedule one with prof Wong, then IVF counselling, then can start right?

Seems like still a long way to go. Getting quite impatient alr. It's been such a long journey.

I see. We haven't seen Prof Wong yet. Our appointment is still at clinic G. Means we will have to go for the appointment, then schedule one with prof Wong, then IVF counselling, then can start right?

Seems like still a long way to go. Getting quite impatient alr. It's been such a long journey.
Yes something like that, review of all your test on the next appointment, ivf counseling, then ivf.
Seems you are subsidized patient, then you are with other 3 doctors, Prof takes only private patients nowadays. Anyway other docs are also good.

Yes something like that, review of all your test on the next appointment, ivf counseling, then ivf.
Seems you are subsidized patient, then you are with other 3 doctors, Prof takes only private patients nowadays. Anyway other docs are also good.

prof wong only do procedures now.

So if your IVF is successful, you will need to source another doc for delivery too.

Just had my 1st IVF at Thomson with dr Loh but ended with chemical pregnancy. Switching to prof due to government co funding even its private patient. At least can save a little.. anyone experience the same as me?

Then in that case, who will determine how much injection you need? Is it the current doctor that I'm seeing?

Sorry ah very noob at this.

Just did my medical review with my doc yesterday and she advised IVF for my condition. My doctor was like assuring me that the jabs will not be painful, it’s like vaccination jabs and it’s not like in the 90s where u have to mix the medicine and jab it in the butt.

However, I have done some reading and research that there’s this needle somewhere down the treatment which is horribly thick. Is it true?

Just did my medical review with my doc yesterday and she advised IVF for my condition. My doctor was like assuring me that the jabs will not be painful, it’s like vaccination jabs and it’s not like in the 90s where u have to mix the medicine and jab it in the butt.

However, I have done some reading and research that there’s this needle somewhere down the treatment which is horribly thick. Is it true?

Indeed it’s much better than those jab it on the butt. After conquer the first time jabs, will used to the jabs, actually it’s really fine..until you get Orgalutran (prevent premature ovaluation) usually get at 2nd time scan review, this is the thicker needle compare other jabs, once jab feel sting a little bit. Relax and no worries. Jia You!!

Indeed it’s much better than those jab it on the butt. After conquer the first time jabs, will used to the jabs, actually it’s really fine..until you get Orgalutran (prevent premature ovaluation) usually get at 2nd time scan review, this is the thicker needle compare other jabs, once jab feel sting a little bit. Relax and no worries. Jia You!!

Hi Jenbluestocking, thank u for the insight. =) This jab will be done by the nurse & it's would be at the butt? I don't think myself or the hub can bring ourselves to jab if the needle is thick. Either one of us might faint. lol

Hi Jenbluestocking, thank u for the insight. =) This jab will be done by the nurse & it's would be at the butt? I don't think myself or the hub can bring ourselves to jab if the needle is thick. Either one of us might faint. lol

All jabs on tummy, and bring back to home self jab according to schedule time (morning & evening). Nurse will teach you step by step how to administered the jabs. If really cannot handle the jabs, know from forum got ppl pay certain fee to nurse/nearby clinic to help jab.

Thanks for the advice, I was told also by sgh and kkh...to lose wt was really difficult for me. Coz of the criteria I was devastated,even we have the money still can't proceed...
Hi, i actually did 3 rounds of iui at nuh a few yrs back, yes i knw what u mean cos my bmi is higher than the criteria as well, but the doc then was definitely very straight forward abt me being 'obese' and not very kind abt it. She did not care that i was fit, no high bp, low sugar levels and all and kept an active/ healthy lifestyle and that i was just big and busty. I felt bmi was not a good gauge but oh well. I dreaded my apptmts. We were there as a private patient so no subsidized rates.

Aft 3 failed rounds w her we took a loooong break and eventually last yr sought to do ivf at a private clinic. My weight has maybe gone down by 5kg ish but i am still above the nuh criteria. I am now on my 2ww.

Perhaps u might wanna explore other clinics?

The needles are ok.
But there is one jab that stings quite a bit (pergoveris) and one that itches (cetrotide).
However, they are really bearable.
I've done 3 fresh cycle and have survived them so should be fine! :)

hi alishablond, did u have to mention to dr wong that u (or ur husband) have a specific medical reason to not want iui or did u just not want based on personal preference? i also was hoping to do ivf direct and skip iui but not sure if doctor will allow

hi alishablond, did u have to mention to dr wong that u (or ur husband) have a specific medical reason to not want iui or did u just not want based on personal preference? i also was hoping to do ivf direct and skip iui but not sure if doctor will allow
Hi
my husband morphology is 0% normal, motility slow, count is good, I think IUI was pointless in our case. Plus I was 40 y.o last year.
Prof wanted send us for 1 IUI with clomid, but I decided skip it and he was Ok with that.
Just say your doctor you don’t want.

The needles are ok.
But there is one jab that stings quite a bit (pergoveris) and one that itches (cetrotide).
However, they are really bearable.
I've done 3 fresh cycle and have survived them so should be fine! :)

the_spinsterella, Thank you so much for the encouragement!! =) Very strong of you to go thru 3 cycles! Btw, may I find out who is your doctor?

Hi Ladies

Would like to share some of my ivf experience. This will be a long post as I wanted to share my experiences long time ago.

Is being a super long journey for my hubby n I. We started off with iui few years back ago ended with chemical pregnancy.

We started our 1st IVF with NUH, back then my AHM was 22.9. We were so contented n feeling hopeful for our IVF. However, I only managed to retrieve 6 eggs and only 2 embryos made it to Day 3. We transferred 1 embryo but failed for my 1st cycle. Back then we were very disappointed with Dr Stephen Chew, as a patient when we know we have only a few eggs during the scan instead of encouragement all he gave was negative feedback. Lucky their nurses at CHR were very professional and nice, gave us all the encouragement and even the day before the egg retrieval they even make an effort to gave me a call and encourage me.

We decided to change to KKH for our 2nd cycle, hope for a miracle. Again only 8 eggs retrieved, 2 embryos only can make it to Day 3. I cry so hard before the transfer cos I hope for a blastocyst. I did pregnancy test kits before the blood test (used about 6 test kits) showed me a positive sign. But my happiness doesn't last long, heavy blood flow came before my blood test results out.... that goes my 2nd cycle.

We never gave up and decided to try for our one n only frozen embryo left at NUH. This time round we requested a change to see Prof Wong. We cancelled our 1st round of FET as my lining did not reach to 7mm. We came back few mths back for our FET, finally this round with Prof received good news that I'm pregnant but with low hcg level, again ended up with chemical pregnancy. But I'm glad that I met Prof, he's a man with few words but very patience n nice person.

I'm going back for my 3rd round IVF with Prof wong. But I'm not confident with my egg quantity n quality, any recommendations or foods to improve on that? I have been seeing tcm, and having folic acid and Blackmores conceive well but it doesn't seem working well.

Hi Ladies

Would like to share some of my ivf experience. This will be a long post as I wanted to share my experiences long time ago.

Is being a super long journey for my hubby n I. We started off with iui few years back ago ended with chemical pregnancy.

We started our 1st IVF with NUH, back then my AHM was 22.9. We were so contented n feeling hopeful for our IVF. However, I only managed to retrieve 6 eggs and only 2 embryos made it to Day 3. We transferred 1 embryo but failed for my 1st cycle. Back then we were very disappointed with Dr Stephen Chew, as a patient when we know we have only a few eggs during the scan instead of encouragement all he gave was negative feedback. Lucky their nurses at CHR were very professional and nice, gave us all the encouragement and even the day before the egg retrieval they even make an effort to gave me a call and encourage me.

We decided to change to KKH for our 2nd cycle, hope for a miracle. Again only 8 eggs retrieved, 2 embryos only can make it to Day 3. I cry so hard before the transfer cos I hope for a blastocyst. I did pregnancy test kits before the blood test (used about 6 test kits) showed me a positive sign. But my happiness doesn't last long, heavy blood flow came before my blood test results out.... that goes my 2nd cycle.

We never gave up and decided to try for our one n only frozen embryo left at NUH. This time round we requested a change to see Prof Wong. We cancelled our 1st round of FET as my lining did not reach to 7mm. We came back few mths back for our FET, finally this round with Prof received good news that I'm pregnant but with low hcg level, again ended up with chemical pregnancy. But I'm glad that I met Prof, he's a man with few words but very patience n nice person.

I'm going back for my 3rd round IVF with Prof wong. But I'm not confident with my egg quantity n quality, any recommendations or foods to improve on that? I have been seeing tcm, and having folic acid and Blackmores conceive well but it doesn't seem working well.
Hi, I will be seeing prof next week for my second cycle as well.. my first cycle ended up with chemical pregnancy. What I did now is to change my diet. Eat eggs for breakfast instead of bread. Add q10 and fish oil on TOP of Blackmore conceive well. Hope it will improve my quality.

Hi, I will be seeing prof next week for my second cycle as well.. my first cycle ended up with chemical pregnancy. What I did now is to change my diet. Eat eggs for breakfast instead of bread. Add q10 and fish oil on TOP of Blackmore conceive well. Hope it will improve my quality.

Thanks for the advise hopefulgirl. Good luck to you for your 2nd cycle!

Same to you! Did prof give u Any medicine? And how Long do u have to wait for ur next cycle?

Prof told us that wait for around 2 cycles of your menses then can start a new cycle. We asked Prof what to eat to improve the eggs, he only gave me vit c and folic acid as for my hubby vit E. N he don't like us to take tcm medicine when we undergo the treatment with him.

We also asked him regarding our chemical pregnancies, he suggested us for a check under their recurrent pregnancy loss clinic but this clinic only received those patients with 3 or more miscarriages. I have 15 tubes of blood withdraw for those tests, results was out last week. And the doc was very funny, he told us there will be good n bad news for us. Good news, our results are perfectly fine, bad news they still dunno what the cause of my recurrent chemical pregnancies. So the only way, bring this report back to Prof to see what he can do for us. But I thinking to let my body rest for 2 to 3 months then see him again.

Prof told us that wait for around 2 cycles of your menses then can start a new cycle. We asked Prof what to eat to improve the eggs, he only gave me vit c and folic acid as for my hubby vit E. N he don't like us to take tcm medicine when we undergo the treatment with him.

We also asked him regarding our chemical pregnancies, he suggested us for a check under their recurrent pregnancy loss clinic but this clinic only received those patients with 3 or more miscarriages. I have 15 tubes of blood withdraw for those tests, results was out last week. And the doc was very funny, he told us there will be good n bad news for us. Good news, our results are perfectly fine, bad news they still dunno what the cause of my recurrent chemical pregnancies. So the only way, bring this report back to Prof to see what he can do for us. But I thinking to let my body rest for 2 to 3 months then see him again.
My last IVF is during April.. not sure if I can start another cycle in July?

My last IVF is during April.. not sure if I can start another cycle in July?

Should be ok, prof told me around 2 cycles of the menses but forgotten to count after the ivf cycle or include. You may check with him when you see him. Normally I will give myself 6 months rest before I try for the next ivf.

Hey Beauties

First time posting here...
IVF done @ NUH
Just failed my 2nd frozen cycle (ET 2day 6 expanded blastocyst) on 10 Jan 19.... really don’t know what to do next....‍♀️ Any advice/ fruit of taught beauties? Go for another cycle? Do IVF else where? Just stop and leave to god?

hi ,
can i know how many egg embro u put in ?

Back