IVF Mummies

hui,
ya, at 1st i was not happy tt mil wanted to use it but my sis told me it's gd for bb thou troublesome lah. so i let mil do wat she wants since it's gd for my bb
happy.gif

Rae, hui

i bought 2 packets of cloth nappies. but now, trying to cope with BF, Formula milk, express milk (at one feeding), disposable diapers become more convenient. so now, my cloth nappies are only there to act as blankets..haha

may try to switch over once i am more settled with the feeding routine.

Rae,

so u give FM(formula milk) most of the time ? No latch on at all ? Totally use EBM ? I try to consolidate my EBM so that it can make up to one feed. Now my routine is FM -> latch on-> express milk. or latch on-> FM -> express milk. Night time i wun try latch on, cos its too time consuming plus u want to coax bb to sleep asap. Sometimes night feeding from FM to coax bb to sleep to express milk can take up 1 to 2 hours. What about u ?

ya.. the more I express out the more milk i can produce. Now 10 min total express i can get about 20-25 ml.
happy.gif
but its really painful for the nipple/arola area to express ...I am using electric pump.

stumbled_by,
i gave my bb FM fr Day 1 since born & will latch on in between. my mum & sis urged me to ebm (express milk) but i dun wan cos nipple hurt & crack
sad.gif
was applying nipple cream. Try applying nipple cream to prevent dryness & crack. Is ur bb's suckle and electric pump very strong? Am using Medela Mini E where i can control the suction/speed...... does ur pump has such function?

try placing hot towel on ur breasts and massage them before latch-on and ebm..... see if it works. u gave ur bb FM, after finish it, u latch on?

hi,
I also use cloth diaper during day time
my bb is going 3 months next week, now on ebm. dun worry abt the supply, miine still alot till now, thou i din latch. i use hand to express out 4 times a day, each time abt 240ml...as my bb having reflux, he also din drink thAT MUCH. I GOT TO STORGE IN freezer.
btw, my bb has his 1st tooth seen at the bottom....very early right?

Rae,

i either latch on before or after FM. If its before FM, she may suck for 20min +-, then after 5 minutes she cries again. As if hungry. So I have the impression she is not sucking well, or bcos milk flow too slow. Cos she may be used to the amount from FM - faster.

Yes, I am using Medela Mini E too, but the suction is also a bit painful. If set the speed too low, then the milk drips out slower..so might as well set it to faster speed. I only express about 5-10 min each breast. Cos for me, by 10 min there is not much milk coming out already. I cant gauge if breast is really emptied..Actually hand express is less painful, but very slow. I did it when I have sore nipples or bleeding nipples :p Maybe u can try that.

How much EBM do your baby drink per day ? I need about 3 EBM sessions to make up one feed. Hence BM made up only a small proportion of her diet for a day.

LY,

wow...u hand express. I tried (see message to Rae above) but v slow. how long do u express each time ? 240 ml is a lot! Mine is about 20-25ml each EBM session only.

stumbled_by,
u'll experience let down when u nurse or during expressing. U will hv a tingling or achy feeling on ur breasts and when u hv let down ur milk will start flowing alot out of ur breast. Ur milk supply is normal, it will slowly built up as u keep ur bb latch on... remember that supply=demand so the more bb nurse the more ss u hv.

I went thru a lot of struggle when i first started BF my bb, cos initially my hb is reluctant to feed my bb FM so I'm under trememdous pressure. Each time my bb cried, I would tot that I didn't hv enough milk for her. Until to a point that i became very depressed and my hb decided to let my bb hv FM when my ss is low. But I continue to TBF despite the pain and bleeding and sore nipple and now she is so active and happy... so all the hard work is really worth it.

stumbled by.
during confinement, my milk was around 1-1.2litre, now each day i express abt 800ml, depend if i want to express. Sometimes, my bb dun drink, then i express less too.Each time abt 20-30mins.

blue rabbit,

u said u have bleeding nipple problem. I am facing this problem currently. If I express out using electric pump, there will be tinge of blood in the milk. Both breast take turns to have this problem. Now, both of my breast bleeds when I express. Sometimes the bleeding will stop after a few pumps but jus now the bleeding seems to persist more so I scared and stop expressing. How to overcome this problem ?

In the end, I use hand express, like LY. But its super slow! I also dont know when I should express. I just do it every 3-4 hours or whenever bb is due for feed. Now most of her diet is from FM.

I have never experienced let down feeling. But I continue to pump or hand express and nothing came out (or milk flow is very slow), then I will stop the 'express session'. Does it mean I didnt clear my breast totally ? Is it bcos of block ducts ? but i massage etc leh...

PS-my bb doesnt latch on well thus most of the BM is from express. But as said earlier due to limited supply, BM only made up small portion of her diet.

LY,
my sis had her 1st tooth when she's 3mths :p believe they hv > than enough cal, tt's y will hv teeth earlier....
happy.gif
mayb u can chk with the PD? wow, u ebm by hand??!! envy u hv so much bm
happy.gif
whereas mine's a miserable 2oz/day
sad.gif
may i kn did u take anything to increase the ss? tink mayb i hv stopped latching him on
sad.gif

stumbled_by,
icic.....i only felt let-down initial stage but thereafter, nothing liao..... reason y i weaned my boy cos he treated my nipples like pacifier so we din want it to become a habit
sad.gif
after sucking for 5-10mins, he will sleep but when trying to remove nipple from his mouth, he will continue to suck or cry... *sighs*

rae,

my gal also treat me as pacifier...they say unwrap her, tickle her etc,all no use. think its bcos she cant suck well, plus instant gratification from bottle.

so now u still express? my ss little too, cos i use FM. but i busy myself 4-5 times a day jus for that meagre amt...tsk tsk...

stumbled_by,
ya still ebm 2x/day but if wan to continue to hv ss, better to ebm 1x in the office so i will bring my pump to work tmr onwards.....
happy.gif
oso, read from a thread tt MIMs (Moms in Mind) Nursing Mother's Tea helps in increasing ss so started to drink it and will give 1-2 weeks to see if ther's any effect... :p besides the tea, heard fenugreek, more milk plus goat's rue oso helps bt whether effective of nt, depends on individual
happy.gif

Rae,

since u are partial breastfeeding like me, when did your menses return ? how come u return to work so soon ?? 3 mths not up yet ?

mommies

how long does it take for tummy to go flat ? I still have a small pouch. If I wear the right clothes probably not obvious 'from the front', but from the side, still look thick in the middle...as for my weight, it is okay. about 2-3 kg from my pre-pregnancy weight....

stumbled_by,
my menses hv nt return yet...... still waiting
happy.gif
cos was like a prisoner during confinemet so when my frend said her Co is looking for a temp so i took it :p my tummy still hv a bit
sad.gif
was still wearing some of my maternity clothes when jus started work. Rite nw, ok liao cos of walking but i still hv 6kg to lose
sad.gif
considered u nt bad liao - only 2-3kg to lose
happy.gif
it takes time leh....

Hi Stumble by,
Congrats on the birth of your lovely daughter. The birth process is really sweet and all the pain is gone when u see your little darling. How u coping recently.
I have experience lots of tightening last few days. Knew that it's not the real contraction anyway seen dr and put on CTG machine shows no sign of contraction. On injection and medication to relax my womb. Hope it will improve. Another 8 weeks to go before my big pop. Looking forward to see my darling.

Breast feeding is really tough, wonder if I can do it. About the pump, is medela mini e good?? Any other brand i should be considering??

stumbled_by,
went to collect free sample of Huggies Ultra yesterday at Paya Lebar SingPost.... used a MP (mamy poko) size S to request for size L :p but u hv to bring along original BC of ur child as well. Recd 3packs of 9pcs of size L for future use
happy.gif
u can ask ur hubby to get the samples from them.... btw, hv u register ur child? did u hv post-natal massage?

jolene,
heard Ameda (spell?) & Avent hv supporters of pumps from other threads....... BF is good for both mummies & babies. Mummies can reduce their tummies and babies will get all the nutrients...
happy.gif
but yes, it's tough lor but it's worth it, esp for our babies
happy.gif

Rae,

wow...u felt like a prisoner during confinement and went to work promptly ? Now I felt like a prisoner cos of my express BM routine. Spent so much time yet so little output....

yes, i heard about the Huggies Ultra. But the list of Singpost not convenient for us to go..Yes, I have registered the birth at hospital when I took baby back for jaundice checkup. I din have post natal massage cos of my rashes problem. Now I still feel itchy around tummy, thighs. But rashes are much better, probably the itch is more psychological, so i din want to take the risk and have post natal massage. Thus, i am asking how long does it take for tummy to reduce....u leh - have massage ?

Jolene,

I am using Medela Mini E. Its ok but one of my nipples is slightly big so I felt a bit painful. BF is definitely tough..right now I am still struggling with it (read my earlier postings). I spent lots of time to express (probably my method not right) - massage by hand, express by hand plus using pump. But output not worth the effort...U must definitely be prepared for the difficulties encountered. I cried unteempth time over BF issue
sad.gif

stumbled_by,
YES... BF is v v tough but u will definitely see the reward if u persist. I went thru the hard way too... 1st 2 week, ss is low, bb can't stop crying, hv to cope with her hospitaliation, my confinement and pain all that, but now my bb is so active and healthy so really feel that no matter how difficult BF is, I'm not going to give up.

Wat I did for bleeding nipple is i consistently apply nipple cream after every pump... i didn't let my bb latch on until my nipple heals. For the BM that has blood I threw it away once but after that felt heartpain cos ss alr so low, every drop is precious to me so I let my bb drink the BM with my blood lor... anywat my MIL said that our BM is made of our blood
happy.gif

Then as time goes by, the more I pump the more BM i hv and I also kept on nursing her almost every hr and by the time my confinement ends, I hv establish enough ss for my gal until now lor and I intend to carry on feeding BM to my bb until she's 6-8 months old.

stumbled_by,
I only started to hv the let-down feeling when my bb is ard 3-4 wks old. Initially I don't know what's let down oso until 1 day when I was expressing and suddenly I saw my BM gushed out like a fountain and I feel some sensation in my breast and after that the same thing happened again each time I pump ... that's how I know it's let down and during let-down there'll be alot of milk.

Actually wat u did is correct, massage each time before u pump and pump every 2-3 hrs. U hv to be patient lor. Don't give up... jia you
kao_clap.gif

during the 2nd week, it took me 40-60mins to express 20ml. After 4 weeks, i took 30 mins to express 50ml, now it took me only 5-10mins to express 200ml, so practice makes perfect... don't qi nei ok?

blue rabbit

thanks for the encouragement.Now my bb refuses to latch on. Perhaps due to nipple confusion(with bottle). Thus, I am hoping i can increase supply just by pumping alone. Sounds hard? Cos most lactation consultants, support group will ask u to latch on...

when u express, u mean the milk flow will be continuous for the whole 'express session' ? Now I also spent more than 30 min to express 25ml (total), and its like hand massage -> hand express -> pump -> hand express again -> pump again. A lot of 'interruptions' when I sense that the pump is not pumping much milk. SO with let down feeling, it means the milk flow wun 'stop start stop start' ? I realise pump will only squeeze milk out of certain portions of the nipple, but when I use hand to express, by pressing on breast, more milk ducts on the nipples will appear...do u see this in the beginning ?

stumbled_by,
i had 5 sessions of post-natal massages during confinement. am gg to rustic nirvana tis fri cos had signed a package before pregnant
happy.gif

for bm, am considering giving up cos i only managed to pump a miserable <1oz per day
sad.gif
even my hubby oso said nt worth to continue
sad.gif

stumbled_by,
I actually let my bb take the bottle when she's 3 weeks old cos that time I really struggled alot with BF and my DH and I decided to feed her EBM fm bottle. But I'm scare that she'll hv nipple confusion so I also continue to let her latch on and feed her bottle when I really can't take the stress of BF.

When I express, milk will flow out but after 3-5 mins, the flow will stop, but I continue pumping for another 3-5 mins until I feel the sensation in my breast (let-down) that's when alot of milk will flow (will see milk coming out from many milk ducts). In the beginning when I can't let my bb latch on, I oso depend on pumping to increase my milk flow, approx an increase of about 20ml per wk. Then slowly I let my bb latch on regularly and I realise that when bb latch on, the let-down comes faster than when pumping and milk oso increase. So i let my bb latch on as and when she needs milk and I wake up at the middle of every night to express so that I hv a ready pool of stock when I return to work. It's only until my bb is 3-months old that the BF has taken a more regular routine and taking care of my girl becomes easier.

Rae,

I can understand your stentiments. I Think my supply is about the same as yours, except u pump less frequent thruout the day that's why u only get < 1oz. I pump more often, but need 4+ pumps to make up for one feeding. I am thinking if by week 6 supply is still like that I will stop too. Cos firstly I am not sure if the nutrients is really there (the foremilk/hindmilk balance thingie), and its really time consuming but output is pathetic. I heard around week 6 the supply will stabilise..

Do u feel a tinge of envy/dissatisfaction everytime u see bb drinking formula milk ? I dont know whose fault is it ? Is it my fault, bb fault or fault-of-people-around-me-who-introduced-FM..

Blue_rabbit,

I see. So still need to latch on from your experience to increase supply. Now I only latch on for about once a day and its like 'for the sake of it' and its a short duration. Bb as usual either fall asleep or is not sucking actively. She can be very temperamental and hard-to-please thats why i dont want to latch her on so often for sake of 'antagonizing' her :p Now I let her latch on in between feeds, usually in the morning when she is more awake and less sleepy. I am hanging on to the thread in this forum about can one have TBF through pumping alone ? That is my hope so far...

stumbled_by,
precisely man..... am trying a few last methods to increase my ss, if all these fail, then at least i kn i've tried my very best & gave some bm to my son b4
happy.gif
actually i'm envy & dissatisfaction at the same time when i see him drink fm...
sad.gif
bt hor, when some mums said they are on TBF till certain time, i still heard them say their kid/s sick again & take longer time to recover. so wondering if bm is not as gd as it makes out to be? or isnt those mums are eating junk food & all pass to their kid/s?
sad.gif

1) waking up at nite to pump once in order to reach 3x (started this AM)
2) taking more oats (as advised by my mum & sis)
3) drink barley (both the seeds & drink. again as advised by mum & sis)
4) drink MIMs Nursing Mother's Tea (no effect on me. so stop liao)

if above can increase my ss, i dun mind waking up twice at nite to do it
happy.gif

stumbled_by/Rae,
Hang in there. Jia you... I know TBF is not easy. I also went thru all that in the early phase and whenever I feel like giving up, i look at my DD and I'll persevere. At times I'll feel that the little ss I hv is really not worth the hard work, but each time when I pumped and saw the my ss is gradually increasing, I'll feel v happy and it really motivates me to continue BF
happy.gif

I believe u can TBF by pumping alone, your ss will increase gradually one. My SIL doesn't let my nephew latch on since he's 3mths old and feed on EBM only and she can still maintain her ss. I also don't let my DD latch on now liao and I pump my BM to feed her. I'll only top up with FM if she wants an extra feed at night be4 she sleeps.

blue_rabbit,
thanks for ur encouragement
happy.gif
i look at my DS and preserve too! am trying to use hot towel-massage-pump for 3-5mins then repeat again but so far no let-down. mayb my ducts are block??? read from other threads, in order to clear blocked ducts by LC, it's a painful experience
sad.gif
anyway, will continue the journey of ebm
happy.gif

btw, my HB & mil brought DS for a haircut yesterday thou he had it 4weeks back. But believe the hair is too thick cos he's very afraid of the heat
sad.gif
HB & mil said DS enjoyed the whole hair shaving (not botak, shaved till like army style) process
happy.gif
thank god, he din make a big fuss & cry which we were all afraid of :p Now he's so happy cos can finally feel the breeze on his head.... kekekeke. If he's happy, we are happy too
happy.gif

Rae/Blue_rabbit,

both of u said DD/DS, i am trying to figure out. IN the end, I guess it means Darling Son/Darling daughter
happy.gif

When did you lochia (spell. the bleeding) end ? My fren said it will end by end of 2 weeks, but I am past 3 weeks already...

Rae,

how did the LC clear block ducts, as what u read in other threads ? Block ducts is at breast area or referring to nipple area ? I also don experience let down.. So now u mix BM with FM to give your son ? Or u consolidate the EBM and give him at one go ? Wonder izzit okay to mix BM with FM.

Blue_rabbit,

tks for the encouragement....if I really manage to increase ss thru pumping alone I will definitely let u guys know.

stumbled_by,
either Darling or Dear
happy.gif

mine's ended by 2-3weeks but still hv after 2 sessions of massages cos the lady massage/push my tummy & the "dirty" blood clots (like those we had during menses) will come out. Thereafter, it's brownish discharge & slowly no more.....

1 of the methods is using needles to poke at the nipple area *ouch*, ct rem wat's the other method liao... let me see if i can still search the thread..
happy.gif

stumbled_by, forgot to ans ur qn: i consolidate BM. we will feed him FM 1st follow by BM or vice versa but we dun mix into 1 bottle...
happy.gif
so far, he's ok....

blue_rabbit,
does ur DD has black poos? cos my mil said my DS is having it these few days, ask me to chk with Dr on next visit..... cos she said by rite the black poo shld b all purged out at the hosp when born...
sad.gif

Rae, blue_rabbit :

ask u a senstive question : do u still have a small pouch or tummy in front ? How long did it take to go away ? Will the skin look more firm in the end ? Not as tight as before but at least no 'creases'...

Rae,

use needle to poke nipple ? Hmm..looks like must consult expert, if not, how do we know what to poke :p

Rae,
No leh... my DD has no more black poo poo after the 1st few days after birth. Ya better chk with doc... to b on the safe side.

stunbled_by,
yes still hv a small tummy, but i alr hv tat be4 pregnant
lol.gif
My lochia ended abt 6 weeks after birth and my menses came back 1.5 months later, I really felt so shortchaged
angry.gif

Btw, one way to clear blocked ducts is to massage your breast frequently. I also hv blocked ducts 2 times, so I massaged on the lump everytime b4 I pump and as and when i remember. I find that massage my breast in a hot shower is effective and also very relaxing.

stumbled_by,
i oso hv tummy b4 preggie & now still hv
sad.gif
so ct ans ur qn. i still hv pigmentation thou
sad.gif
but lighter shade of brown liao... dunno hw to further lighten it. went to massage at rustic nirvana & they asked me to buy their products to lighten it but told them am working temp leh, no $$$ to buy now..... better consult LC, dun anyhow do & i agree with blue_rabbit, massage helps a lot....
happy.gif
btw, ct help the thread on clearing blocked ducts... needle poking is use by LC if rem correctly and not us hor :p

blue_rabbit,
my menses came this AM.....
sad.gif
missed those "no-menses" days leh
happy.gif

All mummies,
I have a silly question to ask. Every time we express BM, we express it into a new bottle. But let's say the amt is only very little, do we still use back the same bottle to top it up during the next pumping???

Catherine,
I will use the same bottle if it's pump within same day. Say, i pump in the morning & put in fridge, then will use back same bottle for nite express. Once am done, i will put it in the freezer. Nt sure if this is ok but so far, my son has no prob
happy.gif
may i ask hw much u ebm per day? as above posts, mine's very miserable
sad.gif

Catherine,

I just pour whatever I express into same bottle. Usually will consolidate and use next day.

Blue_rabbit/Rae,

if have block ducts, will u feel painful some area behind the nipple ? Like a tube behind nipple is painful on/off. The first time I have this pain my gynea said its block ducts thus causing infection. Now I have it again
sad.gif
Try to massage practically whole breast cos i dunno where there is block ducts
sad.gif
...but after a day of massage still painful..

blue_rabbit

I thot u TBF wun have menses ?

Rae,

so you got your menses about 1month after confinement ? I remember u delivered somewhere in Feb...

Hi Stumbled by,
I still TBF my son by EBM. Ever since he got his little tooth at 10 weeks old, i stop latching him totally, cos either he refuse or he bite me real hard. Thou my ss is getting lesser at 15weeks, but still enough to supply him for whole day. My menses start at 10 weeks after birth, & my lochia only stop at 8 weeks, something like that...

stumbled_by,
did u try placing hot towel on ur breasts then massage? this will help
happy.gif
i always forgot to massage during shower... lately i've been feeling some pain at initial pumping but thereaft no more. tink it's slightly >a mth after confinement that my menses return cos i delivered on Feb 11.... ur confinement shld b over soon
happy.gif

Rae and stumbled by,
Thanks for the reply, at least it clear my doubt. I haven't give birth yet, my EDD will be in Aug. Therefore no express milk yet.
happy.gif

Catherine,
no probs.... wow, u plan ahead
happy.gif
a prince or princess? Looks like am gg to stop ebm cos my bm is extremely low & had missed waking up at 2am to express
sad.gif

Back