IVF in 2021?

Hi girls, anyone starting IVF with Dr Tan Heng Hao? I’m thinking of starting with him after CNY. Can I check if it’s common for people to quit their job to do IVF? My job is quite busy and stressful, am worried I cannot cope with work stress and IVF procedures and injections... also worried that work stress would affect my IVF success rates. Quite torn about this. Also afraid if I quit and just focus on IVF, means I am full time thinking and worrying about succeeding in it... thanks all :)
I’m starting IVF stimms with Alpha clinic this month. I was working full time during my past 2 IVF cycles with another doctor, which did not work out. I was contemplating leaving my job but decided to stay for a while longer.

I guess it depends on your nature of work, do you get stressed easily or is work a welcome distraction. But bear in mind that quitting job won’t auto guarantee success too. To answer your question, yes there are ladies who do leave their jobs or take no pay leave for IVF.

Hi girls, anyone starting IVF with Dr Tan Heng Hao? I’m thinking of starting with him after CNY. Can I check if it’s common for people to quit their job to do IVF? My job is quite busy and stressful, am worried I cannot cope with work stress and IVF procedures and injections... also worried that work stress would affect my IVF success rates. Quite torn about this. Also afraid if I quit and just focus on IVF, means I am full time thinking and worrying about succeeding in it... thanks all :)
I took no pay leave to do ivf after failing 2iuis and 1 ivf because I figured out I was neither here nor there at both work and ttc. But I made sure my life was not all about ivf but rather improvements to make the ivf result better. At the end of my no pay leave, I failed my second round of ivf (fresh) but I knew I tried my best and went back to work. Well, all is not lost. That round yielded good quality frozen embryos which resulted in a twin pregnancy a year later when I did my next transfer. End of the day, taking leave or quitting does not mean you will succeed and working does not always mean you will fail the cycle. It’s really very much on luck and mentality! Good luck.

Hi all! We're starting to explore the IVF route as we haven't been able to conceive naturally. So far we've been to IVF but didn't feel as comfortable with her.

Who else would you recommend for IVF docs? Would love to hear your recommendations. Both private and public is fine.

I’m starting IVF stimms with Alpha clinic this month. I was working full time during my past 2 IVF cycles with another doctor, which did not work out. I was contemplating leaving my job but decided to stay for a while longer.

I guess it depends on your nature of work, do you get stressed easily or is work a welcome distraction. But bear in mind that quitting job won’t auto guarantee success too. To answer your question, yes there are ladies who do leave their jobs or take no pay leave for IVF.

Oh would love to hear about your experience at Alpha!

What is the procedure like for medicated FET? What medicine does the Dr give? Is there a waiting period from previous cycle to do FET? I heard that FET has higher success rate as Dr has time to prepare our body for the transfer.
Cindychan9k, seems like FET is the trend now as many leading fertility centres are using freeze-all approach. Studies show that viable embryos to be transferred to the uterus in subsequent cycles in a possibly more physiological environment, thus avoiding the supra-physiologic hormonal levels observed during controlled ovarian stimulation in IVF, improving success rate and reducing perinatal complications.
Doc never advise me to wait between a fresh IVF cycle (egg retrieval only) and FET cycle (first transfer). Can do immediately when next menstrual cycle start, e.g. IVF in Jan, FET in Feb. But I'm not sure whether this is most optimal for the outcome. For a medicated cycle I was given progynova to start on day 3 of menses, and crinone 6 days before transfer.

Last edited:
Hi all,

Just to share.. I am scheduled for IVF counselling in April and starting the IVF process in May.. I tried to ask for earlier slots but they told me March and April fully booked. Zzzz. I was told the briefing itself is $380, non-claimable by Medisave and no govt funding.

Hi all,

Just to share.. I am scheduled for IVF counselling in April and starting the IVF process in May.. I tried to ask for earlier slots but they told me March and April fully booked. Zzzz. I was told the briefing itself is $380, non-claimable by Medisave and no govt funding.
Govt funding and medisave only applies when you start your IVF injections. All other consultation and test done before that will have to pay.

Hi all, I went for my first appt at KKH Clinic D today and was scheduled for blood test next week, Hyfosy procedure and Hub semen analysis submission early march. I was told results take about 2-3weeks to be out. However, my next doctor consultation is in May which is 9 weeks from the March testing. Is this normal?

Can anyone share their timeline, esp recent ones?

Also if it matters - I'm on the subsidised route with Polyclinic referral.

I went for my 1st consult early Jan 2021, and I am currently scheduled for counselling in late Feb, and IVF in my March/April cycle. But they said it is because KKHIVF is closed for a period in Feb for sanitization. That aside, I would estimate the wait is about 2 months.
My counselling is in last week of Feb too, and they told me estimate is Mar/Apr cycle too. I previously tried IUI 3 times and failed. 2 times were SO-IUI. Does any know if the ER is painful? I was told the ET process is similar to IUI.

My counselling is in last week of Feb too, and they told me estimate is Mar/Apr cycle too. I previously tried IUI 3 times and failed. 2 times were SO-IUI. Does any know if the ER is painful? I was told the ET process is similar to IUI.
ER is not painful as you’ll be fast asleep, and won’t feel a thing. Don’t worry!

Hi all, I went for my first appt at KKH Clinic D today and was scheduled for blood test next week, Hyfosy procedure and Hub semen analysis submission early march. I was told results take about 2-3weeks to be out. However, my next doctor consultation is in May which is 9 weeks from the March testing. Is this normal?

Can anyone share their timeline, esp recent ones?

Also if it matters - I'm on the subsidised route with Polyclinic referral.
I had my all tests done from KKH in November, counselling done last week and next actual process will start in March.

Hi planing to start ivf fresh cycle From kkhoapital. Who is the best doctor to consult. can anyone recommend me. I’m 42 years old.

Hi anyone doing IVF at NUH ? how long does it take approximately from 1st appointment to starting ivf / insert embryo? thanks

has anyone ever done PGD with IVF at NUH? does anyone mind sharing the cost with or without PGD before subsidy? thanks

It takes a few months from first appointment to starting ivf injection.

thanks for the info... i went through the subsidized route via polyclinic referral... they said wait 2 weeks until NUH give me an appointment date. have been waiting almost 2 weeks now for a call from NUH for appointment date and still havent got any. Just wondering if I have my first appointment early March how soon can start IVF (best case)... hoping to start May if possible or maybe that’s asking too much lol

has anyone ever done PGD with IVF at NUH? does anyone mind sharing the cost with or without PGD before subsidy? thanks

7k for the test kit for mine... plus biopsy around 2.5k, depending on how many embryos is tested (another amount). Pgd dun hv any subsidies. Hv to pay full in cash before they release the result to u

my ivf total is around 14k plus after minus 6k subsidies & 6k Medisave hv to found out 3k plus.

so together with Pgd total cash is around 10k plus

7k for the test kit for mine... plus biopsy around 2.5k, depending on how many embryos is tested (another amount). Pgd dun hv any subsidies. Hv to pay full in cash before they release the result to u
thank you... how about the IVF cost itself exclude PGD?

my ivf total is around 14k plus after minus 6k subsidies & 6k Medisave hv to found out 3k plus.

this amount is the maximum dosage
oh sorry didnt see your reply earlier you answered this already but somehow the preview got cut, im new to this forum! so total
ivf 14k + pgd 7k= 21k before minus subsidies and medisave etc correct?

cause. i just went to thomson... just want to compare cost difference first with nuh before deciding anything but havent got appointment date for nuh
husband and i are sc-foreigner couple so we get less subsidy

thanks for the info... i went through the subsidized route via polyclinic referral... they said wait 2 weeks until NUH give me an appointment date. have been waiting almost 2 weeks now for a call from NUH for appointment date and still havent got any. Just wondering if I have my first appointment early March how soon can start IVF (best case)... hoping to start May if possible or maybe that’s asking too much lol
I don’t think you can start in May. Maybe July is possible.
All the test and scan can be done after your next period starts. So most likely the 2nd appointment is in May. Once you confirmed doing IVF, you have to go for IVF counselling and take medication before you start injection.

For me, it takes 4 months after first appointment to start IVF injection. My case is urgent as I am reaching 40 years old (my birthday is 3 weeks after I started injection). Doctors try to start IVF injection before I turned 40 so that I can apply for govt co-funding.

oh sorry didnt see your reply earlier you answered this already but somehow the preview got cut, im new to this forum! so total

cause. i just went to thomson... just want to compare cost difference first with nuh before deciding anything but havent got appointment date for nuh
If you go to Thomson which is private healthcare, then you cannot apply for govt subsidies. However you can still use medisave.

Pgd dun hv subsidies & cannot use Medisave to pay... have to pay fully by CASH. Just to clarify the Pgd kit already 7k plus... so another fee is the biopsy fee (depend on how many embryos is being tested) ... mine is less than 5 embryos so is another 1k gone plus biopsy 1600 total 2600 ... so u if u hv more than 5 embryos to test ... is more than 1k
so my Pgd alone already almost to 10k itself (fully cash)

so is ivf 14k before subsidies & Medisave

total if count to nearest 25k
Payable by Medisave & cash

if u do at Thomson , only can claim Medisave. Subsidies is only for government hospital like nuh/kkh/sgh... yeah together with Medisave

Last edited:
Pgd dun hv subsidies & cannot use Medisave to pay... have to pay fully by CASH. Just to clarify the Pgd kit already 7k plus... so another fee is the biopsy fee (depend on how many embryos is being tested) ... mine is less than 5 embryos so is another 1k gone plus biopsy 1600 total 2600 ... so u if u hv more than 5 embryos to test ... is more than 1k
so my Pgd alone already almost to 10k itself (fully cash)

so is ivf 14k before subsidies & Medisave

total if count to nearest 25k
Payable by Medisave & cash

if u do at Thomson , only can claim Medisave. Subsidies is only for government hospital like nuh/kkh/sgh... yeah together with Medisave
hi
how about if i go to NUH but private/non subsidized route, will the cost be much different?

hi
how about if i go to NUH but private/non subsidized route, will the cost be much different?

subsidies only for pre ivf blood test, checkup etc...after start of ivf all is consider private rate
Private u can choose ur own doc but is charge at private rate for consultation. Subsidies rate for consultation is much lower

Wow how did so many cyst occur just in one month? Isit all Endo chocolate cyst? Or water cyst?

Were both of you consuming lots of soy/ dairy/ chicken wings? Might have sped up the growth consuming these

NUH.. I went to prof in Nov, but it was mainly to chope slot in Feb- I didn’t ask what’s the fastest slot haha..

Fingers crossed for all 3 of us!
[/QUOTE
hi
Hi! We are also SC-foreigner (me) couple and is going to NUH. We are currently doing our IUI #2 this month because the first one failed. We are under private patient and seeing the same doctor every visit. Already considering IVF if this cycle doesnt work.

Hi anyone doing IVF at NUH ? how long does it take approximately from 1st appointment to starting ivf / insert embryo? thanks
Mine is about 5 months but part of the delay is due to an existing medical condition. I went the private route & manage to get an appointment for about 2 weeks later. Do note that you have to pay cash for the initial consultations, tests & some of the meds.

Dear, im new here.
Im planning for ivf too as am 43 already + PR here. Considering to go Thomson, but not sure how to go about. Will be appreciate if you can share your experience.

Hi, your seeing which dr @ NUH?
& How many eggs retrieved if you dont mind me asking. Thanks!
I am not seeing any Pte doc.. so every time random doc.. not Pte patient. I managed to get 15 eggs. 14 is ok.. but also bcoz I m young.. someone I know is above 40 n only had 4 follicles which were of poor quality....

I am not seeing any Pte doc.. so every time random doc.. not Pte patient. I managed to get 15 eggs. 14 is ok.. but also bcoz I m young.. someone I know is above 40 n only had 4 follicles which were of poor quality....
I see, but do you know the one who did your ER?
Im turning 30 this year and so far all test came back normal. Dr said Unexplained so we are currently doing IUI #2 & considering moving to IVF if this cycle fails (knock on wood)

I see, but do you know the one who did your ER?
Im turning 30 this year and so far all test came back normal. Dr said Unexplained so we are currently doing IUI #2 & considering moving to IVF if this cycle fails (knock on wood)
The one who did ER was Dr Huang.. I did 3 iui and all failed. If given a choice I will straight do ivf after one failed iui attempt.... mine is unexplained too..:

The one who did ER was Dr Huang.. I did 3 iui and all failed. If given a choice I will straight do ivf after one failed iui attempt.... mine is unexplained too..:
Thanks for the reply! How many embryos you totally have? Are you doing fresh transfer or FET?

Dear, im new here.
Im planning for ivf too as am 43 already + PR here. Considering to go Thomson, but not sure how to go about. Will be appreciate if you can share your experience.
Dear, im new here.
Hi

Called them on 6 Feb to make appointment with dr SF Loh, got the earliest available appointment date which is 16 Feb.
waited maybe 10-15 mins to see dr Loh. consultation with dr Loh lasted maybe 15 mins. Rightaway we mentioned that both husband and I are Thalassemia carriers (which if we decide to conceive naturally, there's a 25% chance the baby might inherit the major form of the disease/wont survive). So we need to do PGD + IVF. Dr Loh just explained to us the process, the timeline, chit chatting about other things also not related to IVF lol.

He roughly explained to me the timeline...which turns out to be different from what the nurse later explained to me, I guess most doc forgot that there's a lot of admin stuff that goes on behind the scene. So when done with Dr Loh we waited 15-20 minutes to go see nurse, who will really explain to us the cost and more realistic timeline.

So I didn't know this beforehand, apparently to be able to do IVF and PGD in Singapore you need approval from MOH? and submit request to NUH lab for PGD (there's only 1 PGD lab in singapore, that is in NUH) and get the PGD test kit from NUH. Also need to attend some kind of mandatory counselling session for IVF and PGD (which can cost $700-$1000 according to the nurse, because the psychiatrist that Thomson works with charge that much). So the whole getting approval and test kit process the nurse said can take 1 month.. or more.. (I read on this forum some test kit arrive in 2 months). After test kit arrive and we get approval etc then can start injection lor...

As with the cost.. IVF is $15,000-$20,000 PGD is $6,000 or more.. and maybe idk this and that hidden cost can be almost $30,000. Even the nurse cannot be so sure since there's a lot of cost involved but she tried to break it down for me, picture attached.

Hope that helps!

Attachments

• IMG_9795.jpg
    IMG_9795.jpg
    848.9 KB · Views: 592
ER is not painful as you’ll be fast asleep, and won’t feel a thing. Don’t worry!
Hi all, i have read all the above sharing from you ladies and would like to seek for your advices.

My hub & I have married for 1 year 5 months, we have been trying since last Aug and visiting TCM at the same time, went through blood test and scanning to check on the ovulation & fallopian tube which both are normal just that my menses is a bit irregular sometimes. My hub has tested sperm and is normal too. I am 39 this year, hence my gynae kept mentioning that time is not on our side and we should consider to adopt IUI/IVF.

So I am thinking should I try another couple of months or start on IVF journey. My main concern is about the uncomfortable and painfulness, as I am having very low pain tolerance level. :(

Hope to hear what you ladies' opinion and if there is a Whatsapp group chat, could anyone invite me by sending a PM?

Thank you

Hi All, just want to share, i did my IVF (ICSI) last year at SGH with Dr. Yu Su Ling. not a popular choice but did manage to concieve in 1st IVF try. Previously I did IUI at KKH and failed. so far i like SGH more than KKH

i actually dont really recommend IUI as it's a waste of time and money and still can't find out whats is the issue.

regarding price, based on my journey Dr. will see what is the issue first and see if you need more jabs or less jabs because everybody needs might be different. and as for me, I choose ICSI bcos the success rate is higher but then it will be more expensive as they will inject the sperm directly to the egg.

Hi ladies, just to share.

I've just started on my 2nd IVF fresh cycle and been with SGH under Dr Yong TT the whole time. Went through 2 cycles of IUI before we went through some tests and found that both of us had issues. Did my 1st fresh cycle in June 2019, and then 2 FETs. Had a polyp removed right before the 2nd FET. Embryo did implant on my 2nd FET last year but suffered from hyperemesis gravidarum, got hospitalized and it turned out to be a blighted ovum. Went through a uterus evacuation, gave ourselves about 10 months of a break and now we're back at it again.

I've noticed that not many here are with SGH, but the clinic seems to be having more patients now compared to when I first visited in 2019. Most of the nurses there are great and I always feel at ease with them. Dr Yong has a lot of patients and there are days where she's at the O&G clinic so she can be really busy but I feel comfortable with her so I don't see that as an issue.

Currently on my Day 2 of Orgalutran, and this cycle doc has ordered a couple more things for me. The jabs are still difficult to do but just gonna bite the bullet and brave through it.

Good luck to all of us, and stay strong ladies!

Hi ladies,

I am going thrgh my first ivf and thought it will be good for me to speak with someone who’s going thrgh ivf too...if anyone is keen let me know.. we can connect.. it’s gd to have a support group during this time.. thanks...

Hi Kittyest, I'm doing IVF for the first time and currently on 2ww too!! Symptoms spotting is driving me crazy haha! Where can I join the group? Hope we all get bfp soon! :D

Hi ladies! Can anyone of you please share your protocol with IVF @nuh? Like timeline from the counselling, meds, stims etc? And did you have to take birth control pills before starting injections? TIA!

Hi

Called them on 6 Feb to make appointment with dr SF Loh, got the earliest available appointment date which is 16 Feb.
waited maybe 10-15 mins to see dr Loh. consultation with dr Loh lasted maybe 15 mins. Rightaway we mentioned that both husband and I are Thalassemia carriers (which if we decide to conceive naturally, there's a 25% chance the baby might inherit the major form of the disease/wont survive). So we need to do PGD + IVF. Dr Loh just explained to us the process, the timeline, chit chatting about other things also not related to IVF lol.

He roughly explained to me the timeline...which turns out to be different from what the nurse later explained to me, I guess most doc forgot that there's a lot of admin stuff that goes on behind the scene. So when done with Dr Loh we waited 15-20 minutes to go see nurse, who will really explain to us the cost and more realistic timeline.

So I didn't know this beforehand, apparently to be able to do IVF and PGD in Singapore you need approval from MOH? and submit request to NUH lab for PGD (there's only 1 PGD lab in singapore, that is in NUH) and get the PGD test kit from NUH. Also need to attend some kind of mandatory counselling session for IVF and PGD (which can cost $700-$1000 according to the nurse, because the psychiatrist that Thomson works with charge that much). So the whole getting approval and test kit process the nurse said can take 1 month.. or more.. (I read on this forum some test kit arrive in 2 months). After test kit arrive and we get approval etc then can start injection lor...

As with the cost.. IVF is $15,000-$20,000 PGD is $6,000 or more.. and maybe idk this and that hidden cost can be almost $30,000. Even the nurse cannot be so sure since there's a lot of cost involved but she tried to break it down for me, picture attached.

Hope that helps!

Dear, Thanks for the info.
I visited Dr LC Cheng that day at TMC to kick start and to understand more so that I can get ready myself for coming journey.

Back