IVF/ICSI Support Group

Hi Gals, thanks for concerns and kind advises. Hubby and i already made up yesterday. But i am not as hopeful as before regarding this IVF cycle cos i was really very worked up during the arguement plus i have no more symptoms now, only slight bloatedness and sensitive nipples, likely caused by impregnyl jab hangover from fri morn. I was very tempted to try HPT actually, to see if i may have really lost my embies already but think its too early to tell anything rite? No choice lor, just get on as usual ba. I am also more mobile now, walk here walk there, just didnt go out.

Wonder if IVF fail, how soon will menses come hor? Anyone knows? Actually i am scared to do blood test on the 14th. Feel like escaping the KKH appt and just wait.

Theresa, read about your impregnyl side effects. Oh dear, glad you are better now. Did you do a progesterone blood test before? I did mine last fri. Basically if progesterone level is ok, we can stop the jabs, no need to complete them. Maybe your gynae have past records that your post luteal progesterone is always ok so he didnt insist you take the remaining jabs. I am taking my last jab (4th) tomorrow. Or if my level is not good, KKH will probably call me and ask me to buy more doses.

Nano, the pills are green and called Doxy...sumthing rite? My hubby was given that also. I think its as per what Baby explained. In fact we gals also got to take from ER onwards. The scans are all done at KKIVF no need to go to other dept. For this, i must give KKH the credit. What i like about them is everything is contained in KKIVF, from scanning, injection, consultation, ER operating theatre to ET surgical room and even sperm collect room, all in 1 place. Very convenient and lower chances of bumping into people we know who may be visiting gynaes at the other clinics. No lah, you are not 'fan', dont worry. Guess the beauty of such a forum is we can all share info and experiences.

PL & Left, all the best, you gals' bloodtest soon?

JR, enjoy your hoildays! Maybe you will come back with a Made in Tasmania? Cool... Actually i am tempted to travel next week too, go taiwan for a short trip, since i on HL and was quite discouraged lately. But no more air tic specials. Aiya, good also lah, then i just rest at home and save money.

Theresa,
My friend conceived naturally. But vomitting gastric juice was one of her symptoms. I think you better treat yourself as preggie. Maybe your embies don't like the effect from the jab. Also, they don't want their mummy to suffer so much pain from jabbing
happy.gif
anymore. So cute...

Maplebabies,
Perhaps, your embies know that you are in distressed and they decided to give you less symptoms so that you will not have to suffer so much. They want their mummy to free from pain. I tell you pregnancy symptoms sometimes are no joke men... Can land mummies in hospital sometimes... Isn't it good now you feel yourself more mobile to move a little. Some movement is good for blood circulation... Cheer up and stay positive...

Maplebabies,
You know what? I was upset one night too and i do a hpt (expired kit) and it said i am pregnant! I know it is cheating because of the pregnyl injections that has not left my body so it'll be a false positive result. But seeing that word "pregnant" on my test strip really lift up my spirits, and since then I am in a better mood.
happy.gif

Koori,
I'm with Prof PC Wong, NUH. I did my IUI at Dr Ann Tan's clinic in Mt.E Clinic. Verrrrrry nice place with verrrry nice ppl.

Maple babies,
Glad to hear you are back cherrfully again! Dont be too negative, we cant control or know what is going inside our womb now, so worry less will help the embies grow better! Dont worry, everything is under God's control and He will sees us through this journey, have faith and trust in Him!

PL,
It depends. For my first 2 failed cycle, AF came a week after dr ask to stop all medication. For the last one, it came even before i was due for blood test.

Maple,
I also hope can have one make in Tasmania. But hor, during that time, is not production time leh. I am leaving on our nation birthday. DH say we so ungrateful, always never around on this day.

Lefthander,
You never know, the kit may be correct. When is your blood test?

Theresa,
are you seeing doctor for your symptom?

JR,
Just enjoy your trip...

PL,
When I was on S0-IUI programme, the AF came on the same day as my blood test. Still went for test to confirm negative...

Hi PL,
all the best for ur blood test.
Are you from kkh ?

They told me to call by 1 pm, but results were ready by 11+ am. Apparently, the success rate at kkh has been very good this year.

Not sure how good is good, but nurse said very good. So I suppose it is better than previous yrs.

hi ladies,
sorry for intruding. i am a newbie in this thread but have encountered 3 mcs in one year in my ttc journey. I am told by my gynea to try naturally for another 6 months before considering further options with NUH. Anyone can share with me what's the difference between IUI and IVF? cost? and the pain involving? eligibility? can we use CPF to pay? Sorry for so many questions and some might feel so sian answering these questions again n again..do direct me to the thread that i can find these answers..thanks alot
happy.gif

Thanks Theresa. You are rite, can only wait patiently for God. At least, one happy thing happened this morning that cheered me up ... i called KKH to check on my blood test result for last friday's progesterone test. They say its very good, at 220+ levels. Forgot to ask them what measurement units they are using but should be nmol/L i think cos the last time i did my progesterone there also in nmol/L. If so, its about 7 times my usual luteal phase progesterone level! Hope that is good news, or at least i know its good environment inside for my embies. Quite reassured to hear that.

Lefthand & PL, all the best for your blood test results. I shifted mine to next mon, 13 Aug instead of 14 Aug cos i wanted hubby to be with me but he cant take leave on the original date 14 Aug. But hor, i am really chickened. Dont feel like turning up for the bloodtest, feel like just hiding away from KKH. Cos i have no guts to face the results.
sad.gif
Chicken rite? Haiz...

JR, nonetheless, enjoy your holiday hor? This may be the last time you can travel freely leh, cos maybe after you come back, in the next cycle, you will strike already so either cant travel due to pregnancy or have to bring your little ones le. My last holiday was to Tokyo. We went there 3 times in the past 2 years cos scared no more chance to go once pregnant. Siao rite? Anyway, hope really, no more chance to go due to pregnancy.

Thanks Baby for encouragement and reassurance!
happy.gif
Hopefully this week pass smoothly. Frankly, i am abit sad, going to have to go back to work soon. Its a drag to work at my office. But i had gritted on cos we were planning to conceive and i want to make sure i earn at least 1 maternity leave entitlement from them.

Hi Apple, no worries. I try to help with what i know ok? Mine is from KKIVF so may differ abit from other hospi but at least you can agar agar ok?

Difference between IUI and IVF quite big cos for IUI, you simply pay for the surgical procedure of washing sperms and putting them into the uterus, maybe add on clomid if doc want to stiumlate ovulation. But for IVF, there are injections to suppress and stimulate hormones, bloodtests, the eventual surgical procedure to extract eggs from ovaries then treatment of sperms and eggs for fertilization and surgical procedure to put embryos back into uterus. So IVF quite massive compared to IUI, same for the cost. IVF probably cost around $6000 in total (KKH) whereas IUI is probably only 1/6 of it.

Pain abit more for IVF althou extraction of eggs are done under sedation. Cos there is daily pain cos you need to inject yourself. And pain when do bloodtests.

Eligibility, need to see your doc recommendation leh. But mostly people do IVF if got fallopian tube problems or poor sperm quality and quantity. Or after all methods tried but still no results.

Can claim from CPF but you need to pay upfront cash for those injections first. Like my cycle this time, can claim up to $6000 from CPF thus after they less the costs from ER onwards, they will probably send us cheque for about $2400+ and that will cover the initial outlay of cash we had to buy injections etc ...

maplebabies,
Good to hear that everything's going well with you now... You must be happy with your progest results...so you see, now you're one step closer to your goal!
happy.gif
Hugs to you.

applemuffin,
You can refer to the KKH link below on the diff betw SO-IUI & IVF. Look under the Clinical Services section.
http://www.kkh.com.sg/SharedCMS/Templates/Singhealth%20Generic%20Template.aspx?NRMODE=Published&NRORIGINALURL=%2fMedicalSpecialtiesnServices%2fCentres%2fKKIVFCentre%2f&NRNODEGUID=%7bE8373B04-7194-4F28-BC2D-7715B65F53C5%7d&NRCACHEHINT=Guest#5

Basically, for IUI, sperm is put into the uterus to enhance conception. Whereas, for IVF, the eggs are retrieved and fertilised in the lab before the fertilised embryos are trfd back into the uterus. IVF is more costly but has a higher chance of success as it removes the risk that the egg may not be fertilised (as opposed to IUI case). Usually, docs will advise pple to go for IUI first before IVF. Hope this helps. Have you done IUI before?

applemuffin,
Ooops, was typing my post, so I didn't see that Maplebabies has already responded to ur question. Heh heh, hope we didn't scare u off with all the info. Cost-wise, IVF differs greatly depending on whether u decide on a pte or govt-linked hospital. Pte hospitals may charge up to double of what KKH charges for IVF, but of course customer service stds may also vary in a similar direction (i mean how they treat u as a patient). Also, for IUI and IVF, there may be diff variations of each, for example some may have medication and some without. This depends on case by case as prescribed by ur gynae. Are u comtemplating on doing IUI or IVF?

dear PL, so sorry to hear yr negative result, it's good that you are moving on by planning your next cycle!!

just back from ET, it's damn bloody painful. am still in severe pain and vomitting, thinking of going back to KKH.

total no of eggs retrieved 22.

thanks maplebbs and petalsbloom. info are really helpful. i am actually quite scare of IVF, knowing it involves daily jabs etc..and you have to self-jab at home.. i used to go for hormone jabs twice weekly (each time 2 jabs)...huge probia...each week, one blood test..but bb didnt make it...

i still have a 6 mths window to try naturally b4 attempting iui and ivf. I think will ask prof wong at NUH for advice. maplebb, does it mean i have to have $6000 hard cash ready in order to start the ivf treatment?

i am fast reaching 35 (next year will turn 35)...so time is not on my side, been ttc since 2005 but mc 3 times..i have not much courage now..it is only my stubborness that is keeping me on the ttc track..i really hope to have a bb to call my own..to hold n cuddle. i cant imagine or am afraid to think i would be childless...
sad.gif

Babylow,
Did not see my dr as i'm feeling much better after dr ask me to stop my 3rd pregnyl jab, no more gastric pain till now. Today is my D7 post ET so i think i will just hold on for another few days or till next mon then vist my dr again.

PL,
Sorry to hear about your loss, i would advise you to visit a chinese doc to "tiao" your doc before rushing into the next ivf. AMK Dr Zou did mention that it will be good to rest for at least 3~6 months before going for the next one. Your body need to recover and detox from those homone drug that you are taking for the last 2 mths. All the best to your decision.

Maple babies,
Do you feel very bloated after each meal? I basically have to cut my usual portion of meal to half or else i will feel so bloated and difficulties in breathing. Do you experience that? Will high progesterone bld test be able to indicate anything positive?

PL

*sayangz* i understand how u feel. Dun grieve over too much as it strains to ur body.Tio ur body to the tip top condition for the next cycle in oct.U will make it.

babymaking
*wow* u got many eggs. I thinking the vomitting is due to the over stimulation of eggs. Eat more egg white, u will feel better. Rest well in the 2ww. Hope to hear a BFP from u .

PL,
Sorry to hear about your -ve. Don't be too disappointed. Yes, you should 'tiao' your body first before embarking on the journey again. Take care okie.

Theresa,
I think is normal to feel bloated after each meal. For me, when I was at your stage, I have to spilt my one meals into many portion. Can't finish it all at one short. Else, will be bloated and breathless. My suggestion is to haev more meals but small portion.

BTW, high progesterone level does not mean anything. But is it definitely better than low level.

Wish all good luck

do you all have somebody at home to take care of you during the 2ww? or can still cook and do some light housework on our own?

babymaking, ET is painful? do you mean ER? were you awake during the process or completely knocked out, and pain only afterwards?

dear PL,
i truly feel sorry for you when i knw about your -ve result. please be strong. i agree with the rest that you should tiao your body before moving on with the next one.

babymaking,
i feel sorry for you that you are in pain. this is something which i am afraid also if i embark on ivf. i am very sensitive towards sedation and anaesthesia. i had two bad experiences with GA. i think i will want to be hospitalised for a day if i really do ER and ET. even my MIL who is her mid 70's reacts to GA so much better than I do.

apple,
welcome aboard...

check with you ladies,
please don't laugh me. talking about hospitalisation after er and et, may i know how days apart between er and et? is it one day apart? like today i am doing er, tomorrow rest, then the next day et? does it make sense? all in all is 4 days of hospitalisation enuf? no joke when i was on sedation or GA. so weak, bloatedness, hyperventilation, nausea. please don't laugh at me okie. of course it's always good to go home to rest because it's always home sweet home and i don't have spend additional for the ward.

babylow, according to the KKIVF chart, it should be 2 days apart between ER and ET. But i read from the previous thread that some gals did it 3 days apart for the cell to grow better.

aiyo, now i am scared of ER oredi... my friend was telling me the HcG on the thigh is very painful too, her leg was numb after that injection. Gotto to be mentally prepared and bite my hubby hand if too painful...

babylow,
Don't quite understand...do u mean u want to be hospitalised from ER until ET? I don't think KKH will just let a patient stay in hospital unnecessarily unless doc prescribes it. And about the time interval betwn ER & ET, it's 2-3 days depending.

Hi PL, oh dear. Hugsss. Sorry i am not good with word. But do have a good meal ok? Just to cheer up. Thats what i plan to do too if i also get a -ive next week. Then breathe and look forward to next cycle ok? If i fail mine, i will probably cycle with you. Did you also ask dr what might be the reason?

Theresa, ya, i am also bloated after meals. High progesterone doesnt mean anything but its good cos that means the womb is conducive.

Babymaking, congrats on the eggs. Hope you are feeling better now?

Babylow,KKH will give 5 days HL from ER onwards. But can be more days if you request. What i did was since my ER was on Thurs and ET on Sat, i ask to start my HL on the Mon thereafter so that wont take so many HL, not good for work. Then ER and day after ER, i ask for MC.

PL,
Sorry to hear abt ur negative. Please don't be disheartened. Must take care of yourself, ok? Like what the other sisters say, u can try to 'tiao' ur body until ur next try. Hugs to you!

Hi all,
Went for my D14 bld test and ultrasound today. Was told I will be starting Puregon tis Thur. Just now, made a trip down again to learn Puregon.

Can chk with you ladies, for yr D14 E2 result do they gave you a specific result? cos mine is only stated "less than 37" on the result slip..which according to the nurse, it means within the normal range.

Maplebabies,
Ya hubby was prescribed the antibiotics and he was told to start taking on the day i start my Puregon.

Petals_bloom,
Are you going for yr scan and blood test soon?

Hi gals,
I have a big meal today. feel better now. after knowing the result, I went to Eu Yan San to see Dr Zhong. She said I have to tiao my body at least 3-6 mths before next cycle. I think I will tiao first before starts. don't want to waste money again. she said we can feel the different after tiao our body. I have not met Dr Loh yet. my appointment will be 25/8/07. at that time, I will ask him why. I believe my egg quality is not so good. however I have 26 eggs retrived but only 4 fertilized. Dr Zhong seems like more professional. she had a speech last mth in KKH. but the consultation cost is expensive at $50.

Hi applemuffin,
i would advise you to tiao your body before you try I am 34 like you. I never tried IUI. I straight go to IVF. Dr Loh never said anythings also. he never asked me to try IUI. Like our age, we can't wait any longer because of the success rate. I have 2 MCs too in year 2005. MC means at least we can get pregnant but donno when. My babies did not grow and the heart beat stopped. Dr Zhong said she will tell me why i had two MCs and one failed IVF if i can show her my daily body temperature. I may naturally conceive one day.

Hi Sunflowers and Lefthander,
congratulations. Hope you have a smooth 9 mths.

Hi Petals_bloom,
Yes, bought puregon as Thur is holiday, thk ivf ctr is closed. Act can go today or 2mr to buy but hubby and i choose to go yest since we have time..so after we got our results, we rush down immediately.

My Puregon dose is 200units daily. Bought 2 catridge of Puregon. Each catridge is 700units so on my D4 of Puregon got to have 3 injections; 1 lucrin and 2 Puregon injections. Other day only 1 lucrin and 1 Puregon injections.

Have you use Puregon Pen before? Hmn, it seems to need more strength when release the liquid so got to hold in a way tat we use the thumb to press it down. I hope it will not be painful when i start the jab in few days time.

Hope yr bld test n scan will be fine and you can start Puregon soon! Do update us when u got yr results.

PL,
Gd to know that you r feeling better. Can see you picked up quite fast as you already gone to see TCM..that's very gd. If i *touch wood* not successful tis time, i will also want to give myself abt 2 to 3 mth to tiao my body.

Good morning!

Hey PL,
good to know you are feeling better. My DH and I already planned which restaurant to go to to celebrate OR drown our sorrows to. Yup, same restaurant. Win or lose, I'll get a good meal! Sooooo Singaporean.
happy.gif

My blood test would be this Friday. I've already plan to buy a HPT to test tomorrow and Thursday. I am trying sooo hard to stay cool.

Nano, our timing is quite close, i did my D14 last friday and told to start Puregon this friday, one day after you. can Jia You together..
happy.gif

Lefty, all the best for your blood test this friday... are you with KK, maybe i will "bump" into you... ++++++ luck.
happy.gif

PL, Jia You and dun give up!!

Nano,
Is your DH still injecting for you or you are jabbing yourself? Cos for pens it is designed for self-injection. Nevertheless, all the best! Once you are at the puregon stage, things seem to move quite fast already. Then from ER to ET feel a bit slow, then from ET and 2ww is the slowest ever.

Michelle,
Thanks for the well wish. I'm with NUH so we'll not bump into each other. However hoping for the bump in the tummy! ;)

Nano and Michelle, may you have plenty of good sized follicles filled with good grade eggs!

Left, good that you are so positive. Where you guys plan to dine? This fri will be DP18 issit?

I am on DP12 after ER. Actually should be able to get some hint from HPT already rite? Feel like testing also cos i want to know earlier if no good news. Felt no symptoms at all. Haiz...

Applemuffin,
I'm with NUH also and now at the end of my 2ww.

I'm a pte patient cos I'm a self-referral. Up to date, I've spent $5088.88. This include the first-time fertility screenings for DH and me, HSG scan, additional Thalassemia screening ( cos I got family history) and a single room booking for my ER and ET ( as compared to 6 or 8 bedded). My doses of injections are pretty low so that cuts the cost a little.

My IVF charges that does not need cash deposit amounts to $4322.80. (ART Monitoring, Oocyte Recovery, Embryo Replacement, Micromanipulation). This would be deducted from medisave.

So I was told that out of the $6000 Medisave that we can use, they will deduct the $4322.80, and will issue a cheque of the remaining ($1677.20). That'll mean I still cough out $3411.68 for the IVF so far, after subtracting the $6000 Medisave. And this is before knowing if I am pregnant. If I am, they will give me more medications to support the pregnancy so I guess that'll be additional cost to it.

I hope my detailed cost breakdown helps.
happy.gif

Lefty,
DH has been injecting Lucrin for me, for Puregon he is supposed to inject for me also. He learnt fr the nurse yest. However, like wat u said, the pen seems designed for self-injection. If inject by yrself, the angle not so awkard. I dunno whether i will be brave enough to take over on my 1st day of Puregon shot, i doubt so cos scare hand will shake leh.

Dunno for other husband how they handle the Puregon jab? Is it manageable? DH say shd be ok for him, let's hope so.

Michelle,
Yeah! Glad that we are ard the same timing. Now, let's hope Petals will be ard the same also. Is this yr 1st IVF?

Ladies,
For the ultrasound scan on D14 of Lucrin, are the follicles suppose to be small and lining thin?

Nano, yes this is my 1st IVF. Btw, do you get back your D14 scan and blood test results? cos i only called in to check, so was wondering if i could see it when i go back on Friday.

Petals, let us know your result after your D14 scan tomorrow....

Eh Maplebabies,

You count from ER of ET ah? I thought we count after ET?

If after ET, and day of transfer is Day 0, so Friday would be Day16 post ET, 10 days after last Pregnyl dose.

Oh and can I please complain here? I can't take it anymore, I want to die!!! This morning, after my 3rd scoop of egg, I want to vomit it out!! I just can't take eggs anymore!!! I've tried cooking it differently, but still the same! I want to hit my head on the wall!! So I think I give up. I'm not eating any more eggs. Sorry bloated tummy. Guess we'll see if Ensure milk helps.

Oh dear Lefty..Dunno how to advise you cos not at that stage yet but know u r feeling very bad, pls hang on, "Jia you".

Lefty, did eating the eggs help so far in the bloated tummy? have you also tried the ginger with red date tea recommended by the others? Take it easy, if really dun feel like eating, switch to other light meal first then see how....

take care...

Back