IVF - Experience at Thomson

decision

I thought I would share my experience at Thomson IVF for anyone considering treatment there.

I went to a well regarded dr at Thomson for infertility treatment recently. We thought that since he is so well regarded, the process should be fine. We needed ICSI. We were told that based on my age, it was so unlikely that we would not succeed. Well he could not be more wrong. At the first cycle, we had a low number of mature eggs retrieved and the fert rate was poor. The cycle failed. The dr claimed that it was bad luck and we should try again. At the second cycle, the fert result was poor and the cycle failed. The dr told me I need donor eggs in front of my husband, in the middle of my second ICSI cycle, so much for compassion. Donor eggs is such a sensitive issue and I am amazed that he is even this line of business.

There were mistakes in terms of instructions on the medications during the cycle, adding to the stress. By which time, we had enough and sought a second opinion at a restructured hospital. We were advised to go back to Thomson and get the lab reports to see what went wrong and how it can be improved.

The attitude of Thomson, the dr and his staff after the two ICSI cycles failed was horrible. They acted like they wanted to get rid of us because we dragged down their success rate. When the second ICSI cycle failed, I said we needed the reports including the lab reports. Clearly, this was a sign that we were going elsewhere. They took months to give us the medical reports which we needed. I could not start a new cycle at the place and so much time was wasted. I kept calling and emailing with no avail. The reports were finally given months later. I even thought of suing them to produce the reports.

We later found out: (1) Thomson did not bother even culturing the immature eggs retrieved at the 2 cycles – they just discard them. The dr whom we got a second opinion was shocked that this happened. I went to get a third opinion and was told the same thing. For women with low number of mature eggs, any lab will culture the immature eggs. We are so upset that Thomson did not do that or tell us that they would not do so. (2) The reports were so inadequate and brief, and were so useless. The details that we wanted were not there (even though they said they would include) and no further info was given.

We had to pay so much more for the cycles at Thomson (about $15K each attempt) and get treated so badly when they failed. They had no compassion, threw us out when we needed answers. In contrast, at the restructured hospital for second opinion, we were treated with much more respect and with dignity. Sure they are a lot busier, and the dr is not always available but they make sure that they answer my questions. The main lesson to learn for anyone considering IVF/ICSI treatment there is that research very carefully. Don’t believe what the dr says and don’t go on reputation alone.

Hi hopeful,
I have similar experience as u at Thomson. and it happen to my best friend as well. Guess we are all with the same doc. During my 1st IVF cycle, I have only 2 2-cell D2 embryo out of 10 eggs. My friend has only 1 embryo out of 12 eggs. When I went back for review, the doc said this to me, " i have consistently good result, the lab also give good result" so by saying that he meant to say the problem lies with us. and he has the cheek to ask me to embark on a new cycle the following month. What a joke!
I also feel that the lab in TMC is too old. when I did my 2nd cycle at gleneagle than I realised what is best care. the lab and theatre is world class. before ET. I was wheel chair to theatre and after ET I was move from strecher to my ward bed. I was not allowed to walk after ET for a few hours, the doctor drained out the urine for me after transfer and if I need to pee while resting in day ward, the nurse would bring the bed pen to me.
I really hope that whoever is considering IVF in private hospital to choose carefully as the price is almost the same throughout all private hospital.

Hi Tassa
What the dr said was exactly what he said to me! He told me after the first failed cycle that it is so difficult to fail IVF/ICSI because he is so great and the lab produces such great results, and that proceed to dismiss the other labs as being sub-par. He even said that 90% of his patients succeed, which of course cannot be true, given that the national statistic is like only 30%. He even said that I should be less stressed! It was so insulting. Unfortunately, because we invested so much emotionally and we didn't know that the thomson lab was so poor, we decided to try again with him. During the second cycle, when things went downhill, during ET, he told me that I need donor eggs in front of my husband, there is no reasonable chance of success and my condition is very rare. I was an emotional basket case after that. Yes, IVF is very expensive, and there are places offering very poor quality of care. The fact that it is a private hospital does NOT mean that the care is any way better or more personable.

Hopeful
I fully agree with u that private doesn'y mean better care as I believe that there are different category of private hospital. The bloodtest I did during IVF cycle was also not returned to me as the nurse said was confidential. I paid for my own bloodtest and did not have access to it, the only bloodtest result returned to me was progesterone test.
I doubt his success rate is 90% as I know at least 3 ladies who did not succeed under him. I was younger at 29 with FSH 5.5 LH5 when I cycled with him and he suggested short protocol which is more ex. I always wanted to share my experience with TMC on forum but don't dare to thinking I am the odd one with this experience. I'm glad that u have started this thread.

I also first went on the short protocol - later on, I was told that it was not suitable for first timers. Centrotide that is used for the short protocol is very expensive. The norm is to use the long protocol to see the response. I was later told that TMC likes short protocol because the monitoring / ultrasound scans are less - so less work for the clinic all round.

For the medical records, my bf, who is a lawyer, told me that under Singapore law, there is a right to the test results but no right to medical reports. So you should have received the test results. In my case, I needed him to write up the medical report addressing some specific issues, at the recommendation of my new dr, because it would help in the next cycle. He did not want to speak to my new dr, and said he would set out all in the report. Now, even though there is no legal right, drs generally will provide the medical reports upon the payment of a fee. In my case, I don't know what his problem was - we offered to pay the fee for the report and he dragged on. First, he went on some long holiday, then he was very busy, and then he went on some long conference again. Of course, he never returned my phone calls or emails. Finally the report was ready but they did not contain the information that we needed. It was the breaking point.

At the last meeting, I was alone because my husband could not be with me; he told me that I should "just adopt" because "you do the world a favour by adopting". I was completely disgusted by his comments and I am amazed that he is even a dr doing this line.

I just saw this post. I am not in Singapore. The RE at Thomson Medical Centre (I thik it is the same RE referred to in the earlier posts) recommended that we try IVF with own eggs before doing donor eggs.

We did not succeed. I decided to explore donor eggs. My best friend was willing to donate so we scheduled everything, made travel plans etc. I then felt so lucky because of the incredibly generous offer on her part.

So we consulted with this RE on donor eggs. He had my history since I did one round of IVF there. He was so enthusiastic, and listed down all the medical tests that we needed to do, and tell me that he was a sure success. We had to pay for the tests that my best friend had to undergo. However at the consultation just before we start the donor egg cycle, he suddenly said he cannot proceed unless he gets some external approval - I am like what the hell, we made arrangements and we had expectations. I felt the rug was pulled under me. Why can't you tell us earlier approval is required???? My best friend cannot just take leave for 3 weeks to come to Singapore with me until one year later. Needless to say, I am totally disappointed.

hi Hopeful, Tassa, Liza
oh dear sorry to hear what u all went thru. this is really unprofessional of Thomson MC. is this something that can be reported to the MOH?

I've done 2 rounds of ivf, but both unsuccessful, so was planning to try Thomson Medical Centre after reading the posts here that TMC is good & a particular reputable doc there.

I'm over 40. So am really worried I will end up encountering the same as you all did since my chances are very slim. Am worried is the same doc as you, coz the one I'm seeing is also quite reputable. Can you please PM which doc you are referring to pls pls.
Thks so much in advance

hi gals,
The clinic under Thomson Medical Centre is named as Thomson Fertility Centre headed by Dr L C Cheng (he is also the deputy director of Thomson Medical Centre). There is another PRIVATE clinic at level 6 named Noel Leong Fertility & IVF Clinic. Which one are you gals refering to?

happyhippo,
you might want to read the thread on Dr L C Cheng. Many conceived by his help. Me too, strike the first time with twins. I personally find him very patient.

hi yck
thks! which year did u do ur ivf with Dr LC Cheng? do u mind me askg how old are u?

hi Hopeful, Tassa, Liza
I'm anxious to know which doc u gals are referring to. coz if its the same one that I'm plan to do my ivf with, then I will hv to start searching for another doc ardi. PM me hor. tks so much!

hi gals, i did my soiui with dr lc cheng, and he is very patient and empathetic. i conceived my son on my 1st try, and now i am having twins, also via soiui.

from what i read above, i dun think the doc you are discussing is dr lc cheng, as he is really a great RE!

Sorry for the late reply. Same here with Tassa. I am not with LC Cheng. Really, for those considerng Thomson, I think you need to think about why you are going to Thomson. Thomson is OK for those with straightforward issues, like tubal blockage and are young, because IVF is quite straightforward and has a high chance of success. If you like a smaller and more initimate place and do not want to wait very long for the scans and bloodwork, it is OK. But if you have slightly more complicated issues or failed IVF elsewhere, it is not a good place. I have been to the two restructured hospitals in Singapore - even the drs there who are so much busier and see so many more patients, take the time to think, analyze and try to figure out /reason what went wrong before going to the next attempt. The dr at Thomson just tells me straight in face after the 2nd attempt - your eggs are bad and you need to adopt or do donor eggs.

Happyhippo, I am not sure if you have chosen to embark on the treatment yet with the Thomson dr or where you did the treatment. But if you have, please do not make the same mistakes as I did.

Get all your test results right after you have done them and ask him directly how the treatment protocol he prescribes differs from the earlier ones you have undergone and he thinks the results can be improved. If the answer is that the lab is better, it is BS. Most importantly, do not be intimidated and try to get your husband there at all the consults, so that he can also record down what he says. If anything is inconsistent with what he says earlier, at least you can confront him. For the instructions on the medication, make sure you get them from the nurse or dr (definitely not from the receptionist who is so clueless) and double and triple check everything. Demand to speak to the dr if necessary if you do not understand. I have had wrong instructions before, like I was told to dilute the lucrin before injecting and then later found out that the lucrin was not supposed to be diluted. Get them to write down when you need to come back for scans and at what time, and call the day before to make sure. Again, the staff can make this kind of mistakes - I was supposed to come back for a 830 am scan only to find that the dr was at some meeting that morning. I had to wait for 1 hour when his meeting ended, and I had to miss my work meeting that morning with no advance notice.

hi hopeful,
thks for sharing & advise. i now am a bit worried abt thomson lab after hearing wat u hv said, even though i think the doc i'm seeing is diff from yours. but still they are using the same lab, so now i'm not so sure.

which doc are u planning to move on to? i tried to PM you but think you PM is not activated.

Hi Happyhippo. Not sure how to turn on PM.

I don't know your diagnosis. I guess the question is how complicated your case is. If you like your dr and he thinks he can help, and your case is not complicated (e.g. tubal blockage) and you don't need to do ICSI, Thomson lab probably is OK and adequate. But in my case, because I failed the first time at Thomson and the dr saw the very poor results, I felt that the dr should just be honest with me and tell me upfront that Thomson lab is not the best for my condition because it does not do some of the practices that other good labs do, and I should go elsewhere. After all, it is not as if it is cheaper to do at Thomson; their prices are comparable to the other private hospitals. It also costs more than the restructured hospitals. At the very minimum, after the second failure, he should tell me that Thomson lab is not the best for my condition. I was upset that he pushed donor eggs and adoption straightaway and later refused to help when we needed info. When I sought other opinions later on at the restructured hospitals, the drs all agreed that it is too soon to give up. I don't think they are doing so to get my business; I felt that they are honest and sincere but also realistic. I can only say that I wish I had gone to other places first.

Hi Gals
I am 40 now but did IVF-ICIS 2 years ago in US, failed because of poor respond and I guess according to doctor, "bad quality eggs". Doctor in US also advised on donor eggs after 1 failed attempt of IVF! I rested myself emotionally for slightly more than a year now, and I think I am going to try again.
I still live in US but have decided to come back in June to try again. I have emailed DR Cheng LC-TMC, Dr Ng SC last year. Does anyone know if those are good choices? Does any one over 40 who has been successful under Dr Cheng or Dr Ng or Dr Loh SF (KKH)? Please let me know your experience. I feel like this trip if I don't make it, it will be donor eggs or the end of the "game" for me.
Also does anyone knows how much does it cost for donor egg program?
If anyone who is overseas and have done IVF in Sg, will you share with me how does the procedure works, such as do we need blood test in US first or otherwise? How long total are we expected to stay in SG?
Thanks for your help.

I lost all faith in TMC after they
(1) sent my hubby's semen samply late on day of IUI and our schedule was held up
(2) lost my blood sample when I did CD2 Blood test.
Enuf is enuf. I wrote a complaint and since then, stopped going there.

Hi pink-destiny,

can I ask if you saw Dr. LC Cheng or the other private clinic at level 6 as mentioned by yck?

private...not Dr Cheng.
I hope he would be gd
happy.gif

Hi

I am intending to embark on the ivf route and my RE advised that he does the ivf only at 2 ivf centers - TMC or Mount E. Based on previous postings, seems that most ladies here did not enjoy a positive experience with TMC but I was hoping to hear if there's an improvement? Wondering as well if there's feedback on the experience at Mount E?

Hi all....may I ask HOW ARE u gals coping and moving forward on ur adoption and donor egg program...

I need to know HOW u gals do??

What's ur plan?

Appreciate all ur feedback and how u gals are doing....

Pls share....if anyone has done a successful IVF though donor egg program....so thAt we can hv a guide and pointers to follow or know along our difficult path

KIND soul, p,s share we need to hear ur noble story, as we need help here.....PLEASE!!!

hi

I have conceived thru IVF with DR LC Cheng. He is a very encouraging n patient gynae. Im very comfortable with him because i know im in good hands. His staff are well organised n took time to explain my queries. Wouldn't hesitate to go back to him for my next IVF cycle.

Miko, are you looking for an anonymous egg donor? You should speak to your RE on egg donor program in other countries, and ask him or her for recommendations. There are programs in Malaysia and Thailand. I don't have personal experiences but my RE told me that he has worked with patients who have done donor egg in other countries and have been successful. I don't have details because I have not gone through this. I don't want to publicly name the RE in this forum; you can PM me for details.

Hi all
I just came back from KKIVF and am feeling kinda sad.
I am planning to do FET (Natural Thaw) this Nov but my scanning today showed (1)lining at 7(minimum lining must be at least 8), (2)follicles at 8 and 12.5 (Follicles didn't seem to grow-Follicles need to be at least 16)(3)Ovulution Kit showed -ve. Today is my Day 17.
Anyone with FET experience care to share?

I am about to do the prepregnancy check by Selina Chua at Women's Clinic. Made appointment today. I dont like her but she is 5 mins from my home by walk. I went to her 4 years back. Bad and Haulien attitude. Think of skipping her appointment. Anyway, I am going to do the HSR for adoption. I am afraid and stressfull of IVF or giving birth.

Hi,

I am a television producer with Channel NewsAsia. We are currently doing a story on gender selection procedures in Asia. I hear that there are parents in Singapore who do go to countries like Thailand and Malaysia for gender selection on their embryos during IVF to choose the sex of their baby.

So I am wondering if there are any parents out there who might fit this bill and are willing to share their experience and story with me.

The aim of the programme is to create more awareness of this procedure and what the procedure encompasses.

Do get in touch if you have tried this procedure! Thanks very much.

Cheers
Melissa Yuen
English Current Affairs, Channel News Asia
Mobile: 98486294
Office: 63503641

Back