Hong Kong Disneyland

Muumies, need some advices.

Where to book YMCA Salisbury Hotel or Novetel Nathan Hotel at lower rates? how much u book it at?

Booking airfare & hotel ourselves is it very much cheaper?

Thanks in advance!

hello rejoice, nice to hear from you. It's at Sogo Tsim Tsha Tsui. They have a nice range of bags. Special priced items are not sold at all outlets.

Vmummy, I booked mine from www.asiatravel.com. I am not sure if it's a lot cheaper but I was very desperate to stay in that hotel since I received rave reviews about the place.

vmummy, my pleasure. No, i stayed at YMCA Salisbury. Last oct, i stayed in Prudential Hotel.

mamag, my son first went to Disney when he was 16 mths. He was able to take most rides. We went again when he turned 2 yo.

hi missk, thank you so much! my friend also told me not to miss Sogo... so guess like this is my 'must-go'... :> Thanks!

mama, my ger is now 2.5, bring her to HK next month... :>

Hi,

I am bring my 15 mth girl to HK disney end of this mth but worry abt the food available for her. I can bring a lot of bottle food but is there any porridge served at the disney hotels. or aby recommendation on food for toddler?

Can I request for bed guard from the hollywood disney hotel for my children as well?

hi mummies,

planning trip to disneyland in dec too. any particular rides kids must go on?
happy.gif
any to avoid? tks

Hihi,

I'm bringing my 2 kids, 2yrs & 3yrs in Nov. How's the weather like ya? We do not plan to stay at disneyland, just go for 1 day trip there, can anybody advise will there ample time? Thanks.

hello kwala, there are some cafes serving BB food. You can order food for your toddler there
happy.gif
I am not too sure abt bed guard. Why dun u write to the hotel to enquire?

apple, it depends on what you want to do there. I usually spend 2 days there so that I can explore the place thoroughly. Then again, you may not want to pay for 2 days. In July, there was a promo for a 2-day admission pass. It was a good deal so that's why we went there for 2 days. The place is small, I am sure you have heard that umpteen times. But it's really good enuff for toddlers. Dun forget, you might want to spend some time taking pictures with all the characters. So it really depends on what you want.

SHopping centres
Harbour City - huge. Good place to get quality bb stuff. If you like branded stuff, that's the place to go to. After that, you can walk around that area. Many branded boutiques as well. The Miumiu boutique is lovely.

IFC / Queens Central - One of my fave places to walk around.

There are many more places. Again, it depends on your needs.

ernmum, haha..plenty!! What do you like? I like markets like Fa Yuen Street. They sell clothes for about HKD 50. Not too bad quality too. I also got things from Bossini.

Hi Missk,

So far, my plans are
day 1: citygate
day 2: disneyland
day3: Ocean park + jumbo
day 4 and day 5: TST and central (other than SOGO, langham, dunno where else to go) Late afternoon, Lamma island to have dinner. Back to TST for the symphony lights
Day 6: yuen long

Should i go to the famous Kau Kee beef restuarant to have late lunch etc....?

Hi, just to share my experience as our family went in last Dec and we stayed at the Hollywood Hotel last Dec. Wil strongly recommend this hotel as rooms are reasonably priced and in good condition (as they are relatively new) as compared to the hotels in town. Also, as a guest, you can get 2 day pass to disneyland for the price of one (pls check if this offer is still on). So quite worth it as the visit can be spread over 2 days, not so tiring for kids (especially the younger one). You can also go back to the hotel room to rest and go back in the nite for fireworks and parade.
Comments on Ocean Park :
- quite run down
- rides are mainly the scary ones, like Viking, roller coaster which are more suitable for older kids.
- long queue to go into Aquarium
- lots of walking around the park. Very tiring as my 3 y.o. always want to be carried around.

hello ernmum
your itinerary looks great. I am sure HK has enough shopping to fill your time on Day 4 and 5. TRy walking around Queen's Road Central. I like that area. You can find H&M there. Nice clothes for children. You can also go to IFC to take a breather. There's also Causeway Bay, Times Square and the area around Times Square.

After you are done with HK island, you can also go to Kowloon. Shop around Mongkok for reasonably priced stuff. I love to eat the fishballs there. Can eat a few sticks per day :p Yummy!

One of the evenings we actually took a bus to Sai Kung. Gosh, it's quite a long ride. Do it only when you feel very adventurous
happy.gif

Sorry cant help you with Kau Kee. Dunno this place. Do let me know if it's good.

eRnmum

U hv plan to go yuen long, can I know what we can do there? I tot the place is a residential area? u go by MTR?

missk, shall plan to go to those places that you mentioned. Times Sq i find nothing much leh.

Sai Kung very far and ppl says usually they chop tourist one...charge super high price.

Venx, i lost the site abt yuen long...later i see whether i can find....can go buy fresh fresh lau po bing...haha

Yuen Long in the western New Territories where you can see pagodas and ancient villages, and walk heritage trails.

Situated in the northwest New Territories, Yuen Long is an area of mountains and rivers – a land of abundance. Commercial development grew up around a market at Tai Kiu Tun, which later moved to Kau Hui. The market prospered and it was the focal point of community life for 250 years until the establishment of the Yuen Long San Hui (Yuen Long New Market) in 1916. Today, Yuen Long has developed from a market town into a modern New Town filled with residential and commercial developments. But the district still harbours incredible vestiges of Hong Kong’s past. Many heritage sites – including Hong Kong’s only ancient pagoda – are still well preserved. The various centuries-old ancestral halls provide a rich vein of information about the early clan settlers in the New Territories. All of these heritage sites offer a wonderful way to literally step back in time and revisit the early days of Asia’s world city.

Hidden treasures
Pun Choi or ¡§Big Bowl Feast¡¨ is a type of food served in wooden basins rather than traditional porcelain or metal. The tradition dates back to the late Sung dynasty. Many people visit the New Territories just to try this age-old delicacy. Tai Wing Wah Restaurant ( ¤jºaµØ°s¼Ó ) is one of the few restaurants serving this kind of meal. The restaurant's menu also features five-spices chicken. Pun Choi is now a popular item at family gatherings with various restaurants around town serving different kinds of Pun Choi.

When families gather together during the Mid-Autumn Lantern Festival, eating moon cakes are an indispensable part of the festivities. One moon cake maker, Wing Wah Cake Shop ( ºaµØ»æ®a ) , along with its assortment of baked goods, has pioneered the so-called healthy variety of moon cake featuring white lotus seed paste instead of egg yolks. Nowadays, thousands of cake shops all over Hong Kong sell moon cakes at festival time.

One story goes that the delightfully named ¡¥wife cake' has its roots in a dumpling prepared by the wife of a dim sum chef in Guangzhou. She bet him she could make a better dim sum than his version. The chef agreed and adapted his wife's recipe, naming it wife cake! The Hang Heung Cake Shop's ( «í¬»¦Ñ»æ®a ) wife cake has winter melon inside and a hard-baked crust on the outside. They are hand-made and baked fresh every day. You can also look for ¡§wife cake¡¨ in other traditional Chinese cake shops.
Hong Kong people love to eat, and are known to go to great lengths to enjoy their favourite dishes! The Ho To Tai Noodle Shop ( ¦n¨ì©³ÄÑ®a ) has customers who go out of their way just to savour its shrimp roe loe min (noodle). Opened in 1948, the restaurant also supplies dumplings (wonton) filled with pork, shrimp and bamboo shoots. Wonton noodles are a local delicacy in Hong Kong and you can find many other noodles shops around town serving this poplar favourite.

The humble beef ball has a loyal following amongst Hong Kong food lovers. Some shops still make them by hand and they are a popular staple in dai pai dongs. At Victory Beef Ball ( ³Ó§Q¤û¤Y ) , the owner, Mr Liu learned to make beef balls at age 15 and 20 years on, his outlets sell 200¡V300 kilos of handmade balls every day!

In order to beat the heat in Hong Kong, locals rely on a host of thirst-quenching concoctions. One of the most popular is the unusually named ¡§B Chai Grass Jelly¡¨! It's a colourful melange of jelly mixed with different fruits and can be shared between three or four people. Kai Kee Dessert ( ¨Î°O²¢«~ ) in Yuen Long serves this local favourite with more than 10 kinds of fruit! Similar kinds of desserts can also be found in downtown dessert shops.

Thanks eRnMum for the info, at first I tot there's shopping area which not to be miss . . . hahaha (I'm a shopping queen)

If u want to buy the famous ever famous hang Heung "wifey cake' they hv branches at Sogo and Mongkok.

Anyone can recommend where can I go for good and value for money tim sum?

Anyone know the exact address for the Fashion Warehouse at the industrial areas near Lai Chi Kok?

hi mummies,

wonderful to read all to do in HK
happy.gif

was planning not to lug milk powder to HK so thought of getting pkt milk instead. any recommendation like smoo or dutch lady jr nicer? also are these avail easily in HK? like can get at the airport so no need to lug there, just buy? is the price comparable?

tks
happy.gif

venx, i lknow abt the outlets at airport etc...but i tot just pop by and see...and see the old building etc....different experience...

tot mayb i can eat fresh from the oven one...haha

i have two kids....hard to shop too much.

anne, i went to ocean park abt 10 years back...tot just bring my kids to the kiddy place there

Hi all mummies,

I'll be staying in disneyland hotel and am wondering is it better to go there by their MTR from the airport or take a cab. Any advise?

ernmum, surprisingly it was really cheap when we had our dinner there. It cost only SGD$120 for 5 adults. Cheap? The prawns were delicious! After you finished the seafood, walk to Moon Kei for dessert.

Milk powder
Oh, it's relatively easy to get milk powder and all in HK, even late in the night. Some shops close at abt 11 pm. I bot Gain IQ there for my son cos he finished his milk powder. You can get milk from 7 Eleven, Wellcome and other convenience stores.

Kwala, how many people are you travelling with? I took a cab the last time cos I was lazy and also I had a toddler in tow. Remember to eat brekkie at the hotel with the characters!

Hi missk,
I am travelling with my 2 kids and hubby. thot that it wld be interesting to try the mtr. I am also thinking hard of whether to bring a pram or not, any advise on that?

btw, how to book brekkie at the hotel witht the characters online or in advance. Can't find any link or details in their website :-(

kwala,

when are you travelling...you book everything online issit?

how old are you kids?

HK has a lot of stairs especially the MTR. So, if you wanna bring pram, be prepared to carry as and when needed.

i will be bringing a stroller so either kids can sit when they want. else i will put in the hotel

kwala,

if you have book the hotel, write to them to tag bf to your hotel room

i book thru agency, hence they cant help me with it

Hi bluerose,

I am travelling on 28 Sep to 1 Oct. yes, I book everything online and got 30% off the disneyland hotel room rates cos bought the annual pass.

my kids is 16 mths and 5 yrs. Intend to spend 2 days in disneyland and 1 day in ocean park and 1 day shopping.

I understand that there is breakfast with the character in disneyland itself. Guess have e-mail them and check.

Hi, have changed my package to include disneyland stay. Wish to let the kids enjoy more time there. Where will be the places for nice food here? As for the breakfast with the characters, we have to book in advance? How does it goes abt? The characters will come and mingle with us?

Anybody travelling in Nov?
happy.gif

my neighbour ask me book bf in advance...but i cant cos we book with agency

anyway, hopefully weekday not so pack lor

i travelling next wed for 6 days.

hope the weather not so hot liao

hi bluerose,

i have been there 3 yrs ago with my son. nothing much then, just a few snoopy character statues.. and a small playground. can just go and take pics and then shop at the shopping mall there which i can't remember the name.

applestruz,
im gg wiv hubby and 30mths girl in mid-nov. u?

best to book character breakfast in advance. can call disneyland HK hotel. the number is listed in the website.

call them or write to them useless unless you directly book with them

cos else they cant tag with your room at all

hello kwala, sorry for late reply. I brought my stroller despite advice not to do so. It's good cos there's really a lot of walking to do in HK. The only thing is I had to carry the stroller up and down the steps, with my hubby's help. Nevertheless,I am glad i brought the stroller. Bring a light weight one though. Mine is about 4.2 kg.

hi 2005/first mum,

why do you say best to prebook character bfast? is that the only option avail for bfast there? we can't just walk in and get a table?

is this at disneyhollywood or the other hotel?

sorry for the many questions
happy.gif
tks

p_p02,
i was told by hotel staff that the character brteakfast at disneyland HK hotel (not the hollywood one) is very popular and best to reserve seats in advance to avoid disappointment, esp during peak seasons. walk-ins may risk not getting a table or get in late i guess.

since they are just a phone call away why not confirm your seats?
happy.gif

2005(first_mum), i'm going on 10th Nov
happy.gif
wants to avoid the peak season hehe

I booked mine thru the travel agency, so can we call the hotel direct to book for the breakfast session? I think I'm going to bring my stroller too..the children can take a nap on the stroller. My younger boy sometimes preferred to be carried..he's 15kg already..no strength to carry him!
sad.gif

Planning to stay at disney for the last 2 days of our stay there. Have been trying to plan the itenary..with 2 kids in tow..pls share yours
happy.gif

apple_struz,

we are gg on 15 nov F&E. gg for 6 days cos dowana rush wiv a kid in tow, and mine's the type who needs her beauty sleep or she'll turn into a monster!

hotel breakfast have to be booked thru hotel direct.

havent planned itinerary but intend to go star ferry, the peak, ocean park, night market at mongkok, TST/causeway bay/central for shopping and of cos disneyland.

we r oso bringing stroller cos i wld die if i dont. my girl can get too lazy to walk and what wiv the busy streets.

can share the type of appropriate clothings for todds in nov? light jackets enough?

hello 2005, we did all the places you mentioned with e stroller. It was great fun!!! My son loves the tram ride to the peak. The food there is rather ex though. Yes, a light jacket is good enough for Nov. You are gonna have fun!

tks 2005
happy.gif
realised i'm looking at hollywood. so there's no character bfast there? it's like normal hotel. just walk in and get seat?
happy.gif

anyone any advise for dressing kids in early dec? gonna be cold or light jacket will do? tks

hi mummies, been reading this thread to earn some ideas for HK / Macau trip. Intend to go last week of Nov F&E, not sure if it's too cold for my kids. Intend to bring them to Disneyland and Ocean Park for an experience. Been searching for a good hotel that can accommodate my family, including my MIL. Was quite worrying about food for kids initially but guess gaining the info from this thread, seems useful. However, not sure whether to stay in Disneyland hotel or Kowloon, not sure if 1day is enough to complete the rides in Disneyland. Hope someone can guide me along.

<font color="aa00aa">wenn:
the list of factory outlets that you put up, do you know if they are still valid?

mummies::
have you gone to any of the factory outlets listed recently?</font>

hi bluerose,

call disney hotel and book their b/f with the characters. there is also b/f with characters at the theme park itself, not sure whether they need to tag to hotel room but u may want to try. the good thing to have b/f at the theme park is that u get to go in first before it is opened to the public.

here is the no. to call for booking:
"As our restaurants are very popular, pleased kindly call our dining
reservation hotline directly on (852) 3510 6000 for Hong Kong Disneyland
Hotel / 3550 3388 for the theme park as soon as possible to confirm
table arrangement for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Kindly remind that annual pass holders can be entitled 20% off discount
for your breakfast, lunch and dinner.'

i'll be going on 28 Sep. need me to find/check out anything on disneyland and ocean park?

Hi, just to share, the difference between breakfast at disneyland hotel and the park..the one at the hotel serves buffet syle and the one at the park serves set meal. If you are not staying at disneyland hotel, booking can only be done 3weeks before. Hope this is useful
happy.gif

Hi Lill, which airline you taking? Me planning to go last wk Nov. Planning to take SQ, currently promo @ $536 incl tax, not sure if this is cheap. Promo ends 30-Sep, not sure after that will increase or decrease, for Dec hols coming... I believe weather will be slightly colder than Genting bah... definetly need jackets (no those snowing weather type) for kids... socks definitely for them to keep them warm... Hotels around that period seems very expensive leh.. and Oct is China's golden week. How much you gt for Shamrock Hotel?

Back