Glenn Doman Flash Card Users Corner

nur, arielle,

for newborn program, read the "How smart is your baby" by glenn and janet doman

for reading/maths/encyclopedic program, read the rest of their books... the instructions are very clear... most important is they will explain why certain things are done and emphasis the key ideas.

buying the GD kit from GDbaby is costly... if u r free, can DIY and get the flexibility of flashing the words u want to flash. you should read the book first and if u still have many doubts ... either clear it on the internet or by then, u would better decide whether worth it to buy from GDbaby and attend their workshop
happy.gif

nur, words are for reading program. Colours... hmm u refering to BITS? different things... theoretically can start at the same time if your bb's vision is matured enough. But most people start the reading program first... or maybe the maths program first.

I started the encyclopedic program last. For newborn, should do the reflex stimulation first.

Hi Poohy,
Thanks for the note!
What are the materials that we need to prepare for the reflex stimulation? Are there instruction on the reflex stimulation in the book "How smart is your baby"?

Did you start with the Maths or Reading program 1st?

Hi, I'm going to start the reading program for my bb who is 3 months old now, in English and Chinese, and I DIY the flashcards myself.

Mummies who do Chinese program with your bb, can advise me on the size of the flashcards and lettering? I know for english, glenn doman recommends 6" x 22" cards and 3" lettering and strokes are 1/2" thick. But don't know what size to use for Chinese characters.

Thanks alot.

Hi,

May i know what is the font size and the font that u r using to print out for English words?

Also how do u actually adjust (printer's setting or ms word's setting) to achieve the English words nicely printed in the middle of the flashcards?

What is the gsm of e paper u ordered?

Thanks.

I'm using font Arial Black font size 160 to 200 depending on the word. Eg play is 200 while kitchen is 170 to fit in 1 line.

Powerpoint allows u to centre nicely. Word not good for presentation stuff.

I print on 80gsm n stick on hard card board or put in clear folder. If u choose to print on 200gsm (still not thick/strong enough to hold n flash easily) yr printer will soon be spolit cos too thick + ink smach

Hi,

Thanks. Understand from GD method:
1st day - 1 new set of 5 cards
2nd day - 1 set + 1 new set
3rd day - 2 sets + 1 new set
4th day & 5th day - show all the 3 sets (15 cards)???
6th - start to retire 1 card each from 1 set....

may i know how to add new set/category in?? can i start from 6th day?

Btw do u print couplets on 1 card or use 2 cards to combine couplets?

how do u all flash "opposites"? for example, big n small...flash big 1st then followed by small or both cards at a time?

<font size="-2">Understand from GD method:
1st day - 1 new set of 5 cards
2nd day - 1 set + 1 new set
3rd day - 2 sets + 1 new set
4th day & 5th day - show all the 3 sets (15 cards)???
6th - start to retire 1 card each from 1 set.... </font>

I wasnt thot this method of 1 day 1 set of new words. Did u attend the course or read any GD book?

1 time 5 cards

Flashing opposite is either 2 or 3 pairs, that is 4 or 6 cards. Flash one after another.

Couplet is on 1 card. Smaller font.

Hi,

Does anyone know what is the thickness of the 11"x11" flashcards GD kit uses?

Also, what are the sizes of flashcards found in the Reading Kit? Im trying to DIY them myself. I know one size is 6"x22". But think there are also other sizes if Im not wrong.

Can anyone sent me the listing of what is the words in the GD English Kit Set to [email protected].

I think previous post someone has the listing in excel or word format. Also try my luck here...anyone selling GD kits set? (English, Maths, Chinese)

Would appreciate your help.

Rgds,
Jessica

Glenn Doman English Reading Kit (Vol 1 & 2)
Condition: 9.5
Vol 2 is brand new.

Selling price: = $200
Self-collect from Eunos. Interested pls PM me.

Hi vivid - I have pm'ed you. But might take quite long before you receive it.
Im keen on your Reading Kit! Can reserve for me? Pls sms me at 98806934 to discuss further? Thx!

hi...
for mothers who have bought and sold their kits, and for mothers who bought the kits second hand, why was it sold? was it because it is not effective? or the lack of time to do the flashcards???

sorry...need to know coz im considering ...
thanks

Hi lilboymum,

I bought my kit 2nd hand, some DIY. According to the seller, she didnt have time to flash the cards so many times a day as she went back to work. She also felt its more suitable for SAHM. But of cos there are also a small handful of FTWM who managed to exercise discipline to flash the cards consistently too!

HI bbjosh...
thanks. that was what i got from a willing seller too. i just bought mine BN from the shop.
Just thought it strange that if the method is so effective, why would anyone give it up?? but i realise the process can be tough...

have started it...my boy got bored with the same cards by day three. come day five, he was totally ignoring me.he will still look at the new cards, but will turn away when the old ones are presented
sad.gif
..am taking a break of three days, hopefully can rekindle his interest after this...

Hi all,

I chanced upon this thread and am keen to start my baby on flashcards too...went to borrow the GD books, but has no time to read through... can someone help to share with me how do we start? is there any flash cards that we can buy off the rack to kickstart? or must we DIY? thanks.....

Hi Prisccie, i think its best that you read through the book to understand the concept of the flashcard. This will in turn help you in your program with your child. But very briefly, you should start flashing a set of 5 words, 3 times a day. You must flash very quickly about one second or less per card. No need to explain the word, just read it out to your child. The next day, add another set of 5 new words flash 3 times daily also. THe book will teach you how to add new words subsequently.

I think can DIY the cards. BUt it is very time consuming but can be done if you are determined enough. I got my set from my sister, i think having a ready made kit eased alot of work for me.

Hi mummies

Actually i think flashcards is a lot of commitment. There are days that i feel so lazy and there are days that he is uncooperative and i go 'what is the point?'

Frankly i believe the GD method works, but then the going sure gets tough along the way.In fact nearly all mummies i know who started flashcards stopped liaoz.

strange that something as simple and easy as flashcards takes so much energy to do :p

I'I CY, i know what you mean. I think i am stressing myself too much to finish the sets that im not making it fun for both me and boy.

i just re-read the book. It seems that our kids grow very fast everyday. WHile we adults prefer routine, the babies get bored once routine sets in. So, we as parents must make it interesting for our kids during these sessions and not stuck to the rut. Im cracking my head constantly to make it fun for him. haaaai

cheok..
haha..yah lor. im oso at a loss!

i tried prancing around and doing some jiggling and stuff...haha...i think he was shocked into concentrating for a few seconds.

How old is you boy now? Where are you at huh?which category?

You SAHM now right? do you try to finish everything in the morning?or split it up to three times a day morning and afternoon?sometimes i feel all in the morning might be too siong for him leh. he gets bored so soon. the moment i take out the cards, he will start to point at different objects eg the sky, the pen or anything except looking at cards...

hi all mummies, my 6mth old is on her 7th day for the maths program but instead of looking at the cards, she looks at me and waits eagerly for the 5 cards to be flashed so i will YEAH! and praise her. Pls share your experiences! I am a working mum and only has 3-4 hours with my baby on weekday but am still trying my best to finish the program.. Anyone's genius babies finish the program and proved that the method works? Coz I am also thinking abt sending her for shichida but seems they are direct competitors, dont know will it be too confusing for my princess..

mummies ...

the list very long leh...heee...

the thing is, some of the words are not exactly relevant in the singapore context. words like garage i took out and replace with other words. the terms tend to be quite americanised.

you can simply borrow the books from the library and the word list is inside. hth

sharon
i bought mine for 800plus ..think there is a price hike now due to gst...

Thanks for the info...actually i am thinking to buy a set from one of the mummies....she is selling as she has no time to flash the cards. I have no chance to read the book yet...but can anyone tell me briefly how much time you need each day to flash the cards per session? As i am working, can only flash once a day in the evening...will it still be effective??

i rem they mentioned the number of times is not as important as they consistency of flashing...

actually for working mums, i think the recommendation is twice day. quite fast one. i flash around 3x, but takes only 15minutes per day plus distractions and showing him the actual objects and stuff after each round of flashing...

you read the book first, they have all the recommendation there. you can skip to the chapters that are more important...

GD is showing words/dots (reading/math)
later accompanied by words then pictures (on different side of the card)

there is also the BOI (bits of intelligence) which is just pictures. but not any picutres...the pics are rather specific.only the object and no background and nothing else....

hth

knowing that some of you are looking for the word list for English &amp; Chinese, have u got it? if haven't, can share with u.

hi yin,
Can you share with me the word list in Chinese?
If OK, I can PM you then you reply with the file?
Thanks in advance!

Back