Glenn Doman Flash Card Users Corner

grapes

Any parents here using the Glenn Doman flash cards?

I have just bought the English, Chinese and Maths set.

Let's exchange ideas and comments on this learning system here..
happy.gif

Hi Nov, how much did u pay for the sets? I thot of making the cards myself but just can't find the time to do them. Have u started flashing card to your kid? What's the reaction? BTW, how old is
your kid now? BTW, my Vanessa is coming to 3mth liao.

Hi Giggler,

I paid $450 for the sets. Just started him on the English set. Not much reaction.

My boy is 10 mths.

Hi Nov,

I'm currently making the math cards.. havn't start the program yet as now still reading the GD's book.

I bought the plain 11" x 11" card, but couldn't find a 19mm RED round stickers, at the end i download from the wedsite print out the math dots into A4 papers.

My boy is 6 mths++ now.

Hi Nov, $450 is quite cheap leh. I think they cost more than $1k?

Hi karen, you can't find the red dots? I thot Popular may have it. So you just paste the A4 papers on the dot card??? I think it's much easier to do it this way hor? I'm still looking for marker to do the word cards.

Hi giggler

You haven't bought the marker yet? Cannot find it ? Where do you stay? Maybe if next time I find it I hlep you to buy?

Hi Nov
You bought the three sets for 450 that is cheap leh. Where did you get them? You just started the program? Are you working?

Moon

Hi Serene, I can't find the thick marker leh. I stay near Jurong Pt

Hi angelia, i read up on Glenn Doman and from the book we learn how to make the cards

giggler,

I found that the colour for the red dots more like orange rather than red !
yaloh ! i just paste it on the dot card..
for the word cards can we print out instead of using marker ???

Hi giggler,

I bought it online from Babytown.com. Its second hand, so cheaper.

Hi Serene,

I have not started the program proper, I just show it to him as and when I am free. Work is really hectic for me recently, I cannot find the engery to begin proper with him yet..
happy.gif

hi

i tot someone shared the dots worksheet in a power point? i m planning to print them in A4 paper then paste on A4 size card. i think A4 or 11" by 11" is ok right?

Hi karen, you got the "red" dots from Popular?

Hi joey, I think it's alrite lah. A4 size card also can. But I already bot the 11" by 11" dot cards liao.

Hi Karen, I managed to find the red dots at Popular. Cost $1.60 per 100 dots. How many packets do we need?

Hi all,

I made my own cards with words and started flashing them to Megan when she was 2 months old. She is very attentive and actually focuses on the words. She is now 7 months old. You can start with the baby's names and followed by daddy, mummy, milk etc... Focus on words that you will likely use daily when talking to the baby.

Hi Joy_apr,

I got the 11'11' cards and the other size for words from a mom in another forum. If you are interested, I can try and ask her if she has anymore. Let me know in the other thread coz' I seldom come here.
happy.gif

hi joy_apr,
it's me
happy.gif
i got the 11"X11" dot cards and the word cards (cant remb the size but it's the recommended size by GD) from the paper supplier. i share w a few mummies, as we order quite a lot, i may have extra. till today, i havnt got tx to do anythg on it as my boy is coming 2mths n i full tx mum (managing alone), vy busy. still trying my best to cope. nowadyas no tx to chat at forum too unless hubby at hm.

hi giggler,
i read the GD books but like u havnt got tx to make the cards..

Hi Sanrio,

Congrats on your birth!!! Time flies, now yr boy is already 2 mths!! So fast! How r you coping on? Yes, it's tough be full tx mum and alone..

I dropped u a private msg. Btw, where did u get the GD book? I want to do some readup. Yes, I am interest to get the 11x11 cards.

Hi sanrio & jo, me still haven got time to make cards yet!!! I've already got the red dots and managed to find the thickest marker that I could find. Got to start this weekends liao.

Hi jo, my gal just turns 3mths and still haven got time to make cards too. Guess it's still not too late lah.

hi giggler,
where to buy the thickest marker? how thick? hope i got tx to drop by popular. me too must start doing. evyday handling my 'bao bei' oreadi took up so much tx, ai yo..
i beta start cos since now he 'enjoys' listening to me sing n talk to him n will smile n somtx laugh aloud. but his attn span vy short, a while ask me carry.

hi joy_apr,
i replied. go to www.nlb.gov.sg to reserve the GD books. the latest edition are now available in the library. the wait is not long, i managed to get them abt 2wks af reservation (during preg) n u can choose to pick up fr the library nearest ur hse. the fee is $1.50 per bk.

hi all,
i bought the english & maths set for my boy 4 yrs ago...sad to say, i stopped showing him when he lost interest in it after he turned 1 & half yrs old. he like to snatch it fm me & looked at the cards. finally, i gave up bcos' too many tantrums.

hi all,

how about using powerpoint to make a slide show for showing the words.

anyone here done it before and willing to share with us how to do it?

Hi sanrio, I not sure what's the thickness too. The book only said that get the thickest that you can find. I must start the program soon cos my gal will listen and answer us now. Guess she's learning how to talk already.

Hi Nov, I don't intend to show as powerpt slides to my gal so early.

November,

it wasnt hard to place the word in the powerpt to show the bb or toddle but u cant just left him alone to watch it. Still need to read the words out for him.

Ur idea is great but bear in mind u may need to place the bb/toddler infront of the monitor and may not be too good for their eye sight and are u able to read out the word fast enough before it switch to the next one?

The card is more prefered as ur already have the word at the back of the card so u can change the card in really fast without missing any of them.

Just my 1 cent of advise.

hi,

"it wasnt hard to place the word in the powerpt to show the bb or toddle but u cant just left him alone to watch it. Still need to read the words out for him.
"
==> Actually, you can create powerpoints with voice. It will read out the word or say the name of the picture.

"
Ur idea is great but bear in mind u may need to place the bb/toddler infront of the monitor and may not be too good for their eye sight and are u able to read out the word fast enough before it switch to the next one?
"
==> You can prevent "the eye spoiling" by using LCD monitor. And using voice on the powerpoints, it will synchronise with the flipping.

You can get samples of how this is done here
http://www.palmchristy.net/baby/download.htm. There are templates that teach you how to incoporate the pictures, words and sound. More can be found here http://www.childbrain.org.

The glenn doman 10 CDs bits set(which you buy from GDbaby) also flip electronic bits with words.

"
The card is more prefered as ur already have the word at the back of the card so u can change the card in really fast without missing any of them.
"
===> This is not true. Sometimes, when you flip, you can also miss out cards. When your kid gets older, he becomes more active, he may want to flip the cards together with you. It makes flipping of paper cards tough.

For me, I do both. I started with pure paper cards when he was 6 months. However, I faced "competition" from my son to flip the cards when he turned very active.He also gets very distracted. Now I rotate between both. I find that he concentrates better with the powerpoint slides. And I find that maths equations easier to do with the powerpoint. It is really tedious preparing new equations to show me every day. Now, I used the pre prepared equation slides to show him( i am using the one found in christy slides). I also find the powerpoint slides are good for showing things of the following
1. animals
2. birds
3. musical instruments
You can incoporate the sound of the animals, birds and musical instruments in the powerpoints. So they will associate the sounds with the object.

I think you can read more about paper vs computer argument in www.childbrain.org forum. It has been discussed before.

giggler,
Haha... i stop liao. no time and always forget to show her. I brought some chinese card fromt he popular book store and ask my MIL to show her.

I have show her some musical VCD and she like it.

Hi All,

One thing to note on buying the actual set is that the words in the set is very limited so after a while, the child will get bored n looses interest. So if you have the actual set, once you have gone through all the words, it will be good if you can also make your own words to keep the words new and interesting.

Once your child starts to walk, you can actually write words on paper or cardboard and paste them on object that the word describe... an example is pasting the word "television" on the TV. This will also make reading interesting for your child.

Megan is now 7 months and really enjoys reading. This is the only way to keep her still when we are changing her diaper.

Let me know if you need clarifications.

Hi chilipadi,

how many cards in the actual set consist of single,couple,phrases & sentences ? making the own cards might time consuming and not cheap too for the cards & colour ink cartridge..

have you start to your Megan BOI or Math ? I'm still making the bits at the moments..thinking of having enough materials before start the program.

Agreed with Angelia that http://www.palmchristy.net/baby/download.htm really a good sources for the flash cards.
or can try http://www.baby-kingdom.com (HongKong based website), very goods info...

hi Karen,

The set only has abt 75 words which u will use up in no time. Making ur own words is cheaper and you can provide a wider variety of words. I have started the Math as well and Megan actually recognizes the numbers too.

Hi chilipadi,

yeap,according to GD, we have at least prepared 200 words b4 start to teach baby to read...tat's why i'm printing the words on a wider variety of words.

hi giggler,

BOI - ( Bits of Intelligence )
According to GD, a BOI card must made using an accurate drawing or illustration or excellent quality photograph. It must precise,discrete,large & clear using 11" x 11" cards..but most parents are using A4 for easy storage in the folder file.

Hi Giggler,

I started when Megan was 2 mths old... was told that the earlier u start the better. My PD told me that he started on his grandson when he was 1 wk old only....

Hi Karen, what book to read to know more abt BOI?

Hi chilipadi, I'm still in a midst of preparing the cards. Really hope that I can finish asap cos my bb already 4mth old. BTW, where do you get the marker for the word card? What size shall I buy?

giggler,

you can read "how to give your baby encyclopedic knowledge" by Glenn Doman & Janet Doman which sell at major bookstore, if for chinese version can buy at Kinokuniya, alternatively can try at yahoo auction for 2nd hand book or http://www.whoopeekiddies.com online bookstore for chinese bks.
I bought all the books in both English & Chinese version, super kiasu....I'm still preparing the words tooooo...Your bb 4mth old but my boy already 7++ mths leh !! better start it asap.

sample of BOIs
166517.jpg
166518.jpg

166519.jpg

giggler,

I printed out into A4 paper and paste it to 11" x 11" cards..i only bought 100pcs of the 11" x 11" cards others than tat i'll print into A4 papers and laminate to protect the material.
For dot cards i print into A4 papers and laminate them, i felt that it will much more easier to flash with laminated.

Hi giggler, i bought the laminator & pouch to laminate myself at home...i felt it's a worth investmt for that cos i can self made lots of cards to flash to my boy..the laminated material are easy to flash & my boy cant tear it easily..

Hi Karen
Can I check with you what kind of info can we find in the babykingdom website you mentioned. I was looking through, cannot find anything. and the other website, is it you download the pic and then print? Since you print them, you must soent quite a lot on the ink cartridge and also the pouch?/

moon

Hi Giggler
Have you bought the marker? sorry did not get for you cos never attend the gathering.
how is your preparation

moon

Hi Serene, don't worry. I managed to find the marker at Popular. Finished with my dot cards over the weekends and now working on my word cards. How abt you? Have u start the program?

Back