Dr Douglas Ong from Bukit Panjang Plaza

Jazz2:

I didn't take up any of the Down syndrome test. I only did a routine blood test to chk for anemia etc, and at 7th mth a diabetic glucose tolerance test.

We were briefed through by Dr Ong on the Down Syndrome tests.. for my age (31.. the risk is about 0.125% or 1 in 800), moreover the NT scan and the blood test or combi only tells if you are in a high risk/low risk group. Even if you are in the high risk group, doesn't mean the baby is having Down, just that the risk is higher - that's all .. to be sure, will need an amnio which again carries a 0.5-1% risk of miscarriage.

My decision all boils down to - what will you do with the final information available.e.g will you carry on with the pregnancy or choose to terminate it?. For me and hubby, we feel that every child is a blessing and have a fate of its own, thus we decided not to do the test(not to mention we did not want to go thru the anxiety for waiting for test results etc ... just to relate, my friend tested +ve, went on to do the amnio. End results was that her baby was completely fine. but the waiting window after the NT scan and before the amnio, and for amnio results thereafter were torturing)

What I said above is based on my own judgement. For me I would love to treat my own as an unique and would love to have it as carefree/ stressfree as possible.

If you are wondering then perhaps the best question to ask yourself is, what are you going to do with the information(test results)that's available to you:

1) if the NT or combi test is +ve, will you want to pursue to amniocentesis? are you comfortable with the risk of 0.5-1% of miscarriage to carry on with amnio (bearing in mind the baby might just be perfectly normal at the end of the day)

2)if you proceed and touchwood..in rare cases that if your baby is confirmed of having Down, will you and hubby wanna continue with the pregnancy (if yes, the knowledge of the test result might give you about 6 mths headstart to prepare mentally - join support groups, get more infor etc, but on the other hand it can also be a torturing remainder 6 mth of your pregnancy) and (if n0, then you will have to look into alternative of terminating the pregnancy - and in this case will have to seek 2nd opinion/look for other gynae as Dr. Ong doesn't perform abortions)

pretty long explaination.. but I hope it helps to clear off some of your doubts =)

came back from chk up today..

the clinic will be moving by nov this year ... tentatively seems will be relocating to Bt Timah Plaza (but not fully confirmed yet). Nonetheless, the clinic phone numbers will remain the same no matter where they will be moving to.

humama: have you given birth yet? i am amazed to find someone thinking exactly the same way as me!
happy.gif
i m also with dr ong too...

http://www.mypregnancybabydiary.com/oscar-test-to-do-or-not

Enmummy,
I hv just delivered my BB gal on wed nite.. And all's well. Yesterday was 1st day wif BB home.. Really unlike in hospital ... My gal seem to be still adapting how to swallow her saliva.. hving hiccups throughout the night n wanting bmilk every 2 hrs...
When's ur EDD? Try to catch real good rest before ur big day !

Hi,

Just to share that Douglas was my gynae 1 yr ago where i had a c-section previously. The surgery wasn't done perfectly and my wound got infection 2 weeks after the delivery.

Though i am grateful that my boy was delivered safely but i found his services are very expensive as compared to all my friends.

Now, my boy is already 1 year old but my wound is still itchy n red at times and obviously, the stitches are ugly and uncomfortable.

I wont go for him for my 2nd child.

So please think twice if you decide to let him to do c-section for you.

I had quite a good experience with dr Ong for my boy's birth last year. Mine had some complications as my baby was breeched and decided to come out early at 37 weeks.
Dr Ong was calm and reassuring throughout and that helped a lot! I had an emergency c-sect and today the scar can hardly b seen.
happy.gif

. I had a few friends who had good experiences with him too that's y I choose his clinic despite it being a bit in the ex side plus super far from my place.:/
But I'll definately go to him again if I hv a #2.;)

i had a very good experience with Dr Ong for my first child. Now expecting no 2.

I always like him very much, professional and assuring. Introduced many friends and colleagues to him and they find him very good.

anyone knows what time the BT clinic open?

I've been with Dr Ong for my past 3 pregnancies. Now I'm having #4, I'm still seeing Dr Ong. I wouldn't say he is cheap but I suppose his charges are market rate compared to other gynaes in Mt E. The fact I've stuck to Dr Ong so many years probably says it all. Don't think I need elaborate more

On wound infections for c sect.. I wouldn't pin the blame on doctors if the stitches got infected. It's more our skin that's low resistance. Don't think it's fair to blame doctors when our c sect wounds got infected and left a scar. Like some of you, I also belong to the group with low resistance skin that scar easily. I've had a surgery to remove cysts by a renowned surgeon that everyone praises for her wonderful scarless stitching but still, the wound gets infected and left a small scar. Hence, I concluded it's not the doctors' skills. It's me

He's a good gynae. My wife went to him for all three of our kids and I attended all of the checkups and scans, and was present at all three natural births ,so seeing him at work all the time, I dare to say that we are all happy with his skills and work ethic and he is highly recommended.

Back