Cup cakes for birthday

Maggie
nice & cute dino. must have have spent some time for so many little ones!

Mrs Teng
Hows the little one ok?

Me too fold only one direction. But think the tip here is to fold some to the thick batter and balance off the 'weight' then pour over to the whites. 10 eggs need longer time to fold in jst get a bigger bowl and it will do the job
happy.gif
Cos my lapis used 10 whites.

friday I made the sponge cake again. no dropping down yippee....my course mate commented very soft and nice.
happy.gif
Think the other time round I probably under whipped the whites.the cake was made into barbie doll. Gave it to my neighbour she oso commented nice.

Poky
u put fondant in the fridge? CANNOT wor it will sweat. what brand of the red you buy? care to share? then next time no need so lehche buy so many types of red hhaa....

Yewteemum
agree with Peng better not to replace with icing sugar.

Fatmum

They are doing just so-so, still coughing and quite phlegmy...
sad.gif

Here's my bake for the week

Another batch of Mickey Mouse cupcakes for a birthday gal.

3956717.jpg

Left over blueberry filling and whipped cream, so made a simple Chocolate sponge with blueberry filling for breakfast

3956718.jpg
3956719.jpg

And for Mother's Day ~ Made 2 tiramisu cakes and a simple pandan chiffon cake which my mum wanted (plain)

3956720.jpg
3956721.jpg

3956722.jpg

fondant cannot put in fridge huh.. I tried with Peng's recipe but put in freezer.. it harden the outside of the fondant but inside still soft lor... and NO SWEATING of fondant..hehe

actually I wanted to make the Dibo dinosaur but it became mini dino... what the heck as long dinosaur then ok for my son...
happy.gif
happy.gif

Actually I first time make fondant... actually very fast lei abt 2-3hrs I complete the body and hand,feets... left with eyes that I did the next day.. tiring day sitting at same spot... I did some with the purple to do eyelids that the tough part... I gave up after 5 of them...
sad.gif
sad.gif
very time consuming... PENG many thanks to ur RECIPE lei... MY son and classmate really love it..

for the rainbow cupcake I do the normal cake mix with everything mix together.... then separate them to mix color only...

YewTewMum : You cannot see if the sugar is dissolved in that mixture with the yellow colour. By creaming,
it means to mix 2 ingredients until its SMOOTH.

So for butter and sugar - you can use the electric mixer to cream the sugar and butter till
you see pale and fluffy mix but must cream on low speed in the begining till the ingredients
are mixed before creaming on medium speed, making sure to scrape the bowl down periodically
to make sure all ingredients have been thoroughly mixed in. Like Mrs Teng mentioned, butter
has to be slightly soft - that's room temperature where you can even dent the butter a bit with a finger.

Whisking method is usually used for sponges (no fat) while creaming method is for rich types (with fat)
Both methods does its job of incorporating air to make the lightest cake but depends on the type of cake
you're baking

maggieheng,
nice dino, vey cute~
u very good ler, if ask me to hand mould one or two i'm still ok, ask me to hand mould so many then forget it... haha!

ya fondant cannot put in fridge, the first time when i made my fondant cake i put it in the fridge also bcoz i saw it started sweating, tot can stop the fondant from sweating but who knows it got worse... hahaa, stupid me but tat time really dunno anything~

poky,
ya cannot cover fondant over sponge cake coz fondant weight is too heavy for it... but actually hor the first time i made fondant cake i also use sponge cake coz i din know, but tat time still alright ler... but if u plan to do 2 tier cake then definitely cannot, u need to use firmer cake for better support ~

mone,
thanks, but think greenwood avenue too inconvenient for me as i dun go there...

mrs teng,
nice cake tat u made... but u eat cake for breakfast ar? :p

fatmum,
u use a real barbie doll?

JESS

That's usually the case. When I bake, everyone in the house will know they'll have cake for breakfast.. Scary rite?

fatmum,
haha.. I'm not asking if real or cheong laa, juz tat wonder if tat's a doll meant for cake decorating... Like those sell in baking supplies shop ler but those only hav half body hor...

Mrs teng,
my hb will sure kill me if I serve him cake as b'fast... Lol!!!

JESS

I give hubby ultimatum. Either have cake or dun eat at all. Want to be choosy, fix his own breakfast. OR ask his mummy to fix for him.

mrs teng,
good that u hav such an 'obedient' husband... :p
my hb is not choosy one juz tat he thinks tat cake is not really meant for b'fast one lor, hehe!

Peng Ur recipe, I put in fridge but never sweat lei.... Swear to it... Why huh??

Mrs Teng Ur hubby very good lor...

Mine fat and lazy

Hi mummies

Enjoying reading this thread and have been a silent reader for all this while...My kids b'day approaching soon so attempting to bake cupcakes...1 with Thomas tank theme & another is Princess theme...Hmmmmm, as I have not much experience in baking thus looking for a simple and easy cupcake recipe. Can mummies care to share with me tips and advises? I will use the cupcake "thomas & princess" picks and toppers order from overseas spree to decorate the cupcake....

lovingkids- get the premix.. easier for u and sure can come out nicely(faster too)... u will need buttercream of fondant before the picks and toppers to look nice... and u also need to get a box or something to transport the cuppies...

Just a small suggestion... also plan ur time baking properly... I spend the whole 12am to 5am in the morning to bake 30 cuppies and a 4kg cake with buttercream cake...

hehe haha.. I was so excited abt his birthday noon time didnt sleep.. end up kept yawning away and nodding off, even almost spoil the cuppies...

the mix I made from scratch end up portions all wrong then eggs not enough(no more)... it was a tough night of fight against time... Heng only do it once a year... next year have 2 though... think abt it SI BEI SIAN!!!

Thanks Maggie

Premix? I can get this at Phoon Huat right, it would indicate the recipe instruction right?
And for buttercream....Oops, i know nothing abt it, any simple and easy way to make it? Or can I replace with chocolate Ganche (is it the spelling : P )Sorry...I really very "blur" in knowing how to go about it. Yep, I got to think abt the box !!! believe can get from PH also right.

yes can get premix from any place Giant, Ntuc, Shop and save, Pooh huat also can get.. ask for roughly 1 pkt can bake how many cuppies first.. wait u never buy enough then jialat... I buy the box 30 pcs plus lid plus strawberry cuppy is $6+ only (not from pooh huat)

For choco Ganche I DONT know... cant help in replying this question ask the other mummies....

Fresh cream provided u let them eat as the birthday cake then think can bah... I also not sure...

TRUELY first time with no tools too..

I free hand... I havent had them yet... I was told can get those simple tools of those at popular meant for craft-nian tu... abt $2+ bah

Many thanks for compliments..

Just to share a simple white chocolate with macademia nuts with horse deco and cream cheese frosting cake requested by dd for her b/day. Suppose to pipe grass but cream cheese too soft.

Cat, took your suggestion n **plonk** the "extra" 6" pc on top...looks good.

3960851.jpg

jenwong,

i hav a very simple way to make simple buttercream:
500g butter
250g icing sugar
1-2 tbsp of water/lemon juice/milk

this is the simplest buttercream, i made this to pipe on cuppies during my son last b'day... but actually a bit 'jelat' too eat one lor coz very buttery... there is another one called swiss meringue buttercream which is lighter but need a bit more work compared to this, coz u need to 'dissolve' the sugar mixed with egg white under simmering water b4 u beat with mixer & later with butter...

as for choc ganache, here's the reipe:
125g unsweetened choc
150g whipping cream
2 tbsp honey

bring whipping ream to boil over low heat then pour over the chocolate & allow it to sit for a min, lastly stir with a whisk & add honey & stir well. Allow to cool before using.

keng,
nice work!

Maggie...are u sure!! i did put in fridge and my figurines sweat leh...wierd...

Keng....ur cake looks so classic! wat is the horse make of? chocolate?

Peng,
I used white chocolate + mould. I like the horse too, so sinewy.

1-0, Jess, MaggieHeng,
Tks. Happy my dd is still delighted with home-made birthday cake.

Hi Jess

Thanks!

May be a silly question - after pouring the warm whipping cream into the chocolate. can I use mixer to beat to give the foamy like or soft peak then pipe it on the cuppies?

jenwong,
NOPE, you juz need to use a whisk & stir till well combined will do... no need mixer, foamy effect or even soft peak, nothing! u can use a spoon to pour it over ur cuppies....

Lovingkids

Yes, you can whipped up the chocolate after you cool it down in the fridge (not freezer even if you want it to cool down fast ~ you'll destroy it) Add 1/2 a cup of non-diary whipping cream to whip it up. (Make sure it's well chilled)

You get something like this. At room temperature, it won't melt like those of whipped cream. When it's chilled in fridge, it'll taste just like ice-cream
happy.gif

3961962.jpg

Maggie

Have you tested the fondant after taking out of the refrigerator and put it in room temperature? Does it still sweat?

Mrs Teng,

Regarding the choc ganache, same recipe as Jess? After mixing altogether, in order to whip it up, add additional 125g of non-dairy whip cream? I very scared of choc ganache because always end up hard as rock after chilling instead of ice-cream-like

slmummy

125g Dark Chocolate (chopped into small bits)
100ml Heavy cream
1/2 cup Non-diary whipping cream (optional)

Heat up the heavy cream, just as it's about to boil. Remove from heat and pour into another bowl. Pour in the chocolate and use hand whisk to stir till chocolate melt. Leave it to cool and den chill it in the refrigerator. (Do not put in freezer)

Chill mixing bowl and whisk for 15 mins in refrigerator. Pour in the chilled ganache and whisk at med-high speed. Lower to stir position and gradually add in whipping cream. Den slowing increase the speed back to high and whip till the cream peak.

Mrs Teng,

I love you so much... muack :*

Thks for the recipe, cant wait to try it out after I've failed for so many times...

slmummy

Hope it works for you... sometimes it just dun work, sometimes it's just wonderful... In the event, if you dun see the whipping cream peaking, add a little more. )

Mrs Teng I put in freezer and no it did not sweat... (I check after 30mins) so not sure whether it sweat like mad... but table plate no water nor ants though...
happy.gif
happy.gif

Mrs Teng : The whip cream you recommended to me, can that be used for the chocolate ganache?
Aiyo, your photo of the chocolate frosting is making me hungry - I want to eat one!

YewTeeMum,
ya hor... shld hv try that red dye for birthday eggs,,, shld confirm v v red liao... haha.. but too bad la... i also duno where to buy tat one... =p

Mrs Teng,
wat cake more suitable for fondant cake?? the traditional butter cake?? or other cake?? got any recipe to share??

actually, in the end, i use whipped cream... beat some for the filling, in the end, too much balance left, so use it for the whole cake... really jiatlat,, beat soo much until can cover the whole cake... haha... cos first time trying the whipped cream, bought the whole packet, poured nearly half of the box... didnt know can produce so much... now still left half the box in the fridge.. also duno wat to do with it....

Fatmum,
saw ur advice too late... yesterday whole day busi with the food n cake, n tidy n decor the huse.... didnt have the chance to log in.. =(

ya, in the end, the fondant were sweatin alot... machiam like juz back from marathon..... lol

I bought the americolor - super red. within 3 drops, got the color liao. bside it more convenient than wilton color paste, wilton one still need to dig or pour out carefully...

JESS,
ya... i now learnt the mistake that sponge cake cannot use for fondant... nvm,,, nxt yr try again... haha... btw, then wat cake u used for fondant cake?? any recipe to share? =)

i make the same mistake as u... puttin the fondant in to fridge.. haha... got a v "shiny" decor in the end... this my first time using gum tex to make fondant... last yr, only plain marshmallow fondant to cover a small 4inch cake.. this yr "ke kiang"... try to do fondant figurin, end up, so rush, so tired, yet pdt still turn out bad.... but nvm la.. at least i try liao lor... hope nxt yr better lor...

Mrs Teng,
agree leh.. ur hubby v gd liao leh.. last time, i also give my hubby the choice, to eat the end pdt or prepare himself.. in the end, he make bowl noodles....

ur chocolate cuppies description making me drool..

Lastly, this is my disatrous sweating birthday cake. sigh... luckily, my gal duno wat a good cake, got mickey on top, she alrdy v happy with it.. hahah
3962630.jpg

3962631.jpg

mrs teng,
i used Emborg Unsalted butter.

mone,
me don't hv eletric mixer, so it's manual work, tentatively.
hehehe.. i use finger to try :p

fatmum,
aiyo... actually i wanted to post pix of princess cake i did for my gal last Oct.. but after seeing ur pix, dun dare post liao.

maggie,
^5! but think i spent more time last yr to make 25 cuppies and a doll cake for my gal. me lousy lah. hahaha.

keng,
very nice leh. the horse so nicely done.

<font color="0000ff">on icing sugar</font>
okie, will rem that cannot anyhow use icing sugar. cos tot icing sugar so fine sure will dissolve :p

<font color="0000ff">Mixer</font>
should i get
- cornell ~$37
- kenwood ~$70
- farlala ~$30
- akira ~$40

poky,
ur cake very nice le... cool.

my girl says she want cupcakes for her bday this yr.. lol.. if that's the case, then i senang a lot, kekeke..

Hi hi Mrs Teng

Yes yes...thanks so much...I am thinking of doing something similar like yours in the pic (Hope I can achieve hee hee).....

Would also like to know which brands and where you typically get the heavy cream and non-dairy whipping cream?

do you have your personal blog? Can you share the weblink? I will be thrilled to see all the great work you had done.

Hi Mrs Teng,

So do you need to put the choc frosting in the fridge?

Anyone can advise what frosting to use for fondant cake beside buttercream and jam? Can share the receipe?

Poky

Invest a good knife to cut the cake..
happy.gif
see liao also very happy...

Lovingkids

Haha! I dun have a blog, cos I'm a lazy person. And even when I want to retrieve my recipes, I find it troublesome. Must on PC/laptop den login...etc..

I'll compile all my workable recipes in a huge note book with pictures, tips, secrets and lots of motif colorings.. (Planning to hand this manual to my gals in future)
happy.gif
And my all time favourites will be printed out for frequent use. I have this A4 size acrylic photo stand which I slot my recipes when I baking..

I usually use the PH Non-diary whipping cream -Extra (very thick, not so sweet) Just pour in add a pinch of cream of tartar (optional), a few drops of colour if you want.. And that's it!

Verdict: thick enuf to cream (especially for novice like me ~ need longer time)
: Doesn't melt so fast
: If mixed with purees like durian, wow! it works wonders
: If mixed with melted chocolate ganache, whew, just like ice-cream and not sweet
: if mixed with soft cheese, ohhhhh! yummy
: if piped into cream puff with red bean paste... omg!

BUT: you cant overbeat it, it'll be very difficult to pipe and there'll be lots of holes.

Vivien

If you are not using the frosting, you'll have to keep in the fridge. Just slightly whip up again before your next use. Can only keep up to 2 weeks the most. But I normally keep for a week.

Mrs Teng,

Cant wait to go down to PH to buy the Non-diary whipping cream -Extra... Really appreciate you are so willing to share your recipes and tips here.

Back