Childcare questions.

Maimai86

Hi mummies. This is my first post. I'll like to ask mummies a question about cc.

My son who is in N1 doesn't like to drink plain water and i think this is causing him to fall sick very often. Thing is everyday when i fetch my son back from the cc. I noticed that his water bottle is always full. So yesterday i asked one of the teacher why. She told me they always give my son water but he just dun wanna drink they also can't do anything.

I mean isn't it the cc's responsibility to train and teach my son to drink more water? My neighbour's cc on the other hand will try to feed the boy or somehow make him drink water. I'm thinking of withdrawing him from this cc but he has already used to the teachers and school.

Hi there fellow mummy, does this issue of drinking water only happen in school or is it a struggle that is also faced at home? If it is a struggle that is also faced at home then it would be the same struggle that the teachers face in school too. Bearing in mind that the teachers don't only have one child to look after as it is after all a group care environment and the teachers also have other children to care for in the group. Teachers can only encourage children to drink their water but if a child simply refuses, the teachers also cannot force the child who is resisting, to drink up that bottle of water.

Perhaps if you have some strategies that you do at home to help your child drink his water, you may want to share it with the teachers first and let them try out and see if it works out. A childcare is ultimately not a place to train children to simply drink water- the teachers do more than that. Their responsibility after all is to ensure the overall care and development of the children under their care (and that is more than drinking water). It is only with partnership between the home and school that our children can benefit greatly from in all aspects. A lot of times, some of the habits developed by our children start from the home ...E.g showing iPads when child is having a meal simply because that is the only way the child will sit still, will create a dependency on the tablet for the child and without it in front of the child in a school setting, the child may end up running all over the place during meal times.

Try talking to the teacher and share what you do at home to encourage your child to drink water first. If that doesn't work out then maybe you may want to think of other solution. Just my two cents worth.. Apologies for the lengthy post :) hope my suggestion will help :)

Reactions: Xp
Thanks for the reply fellow mummy. Yes i do know that the teachers are there to do more than teaching my son to drink water. But everytime when we get home and i pass my son the bottle he will drink like he is sooo thirsty. There was once i tried to ask a teacher there if she can let my son drink from a cup and she said no, because there are so many children there, what if everyone wants to do that too? But i noticed since last year their PG class only have 5 child and mine is one of them.

Hmm.. Then that is pretty odd then.. If there is only 5 children in the class, surely something can be done.. Its a relatively small group..

Hi..can i ask which school is that?
did the teacher top up the water for him?
My kid water bottle also always full when i reached home.i did adk the teacher n they told me they hv refilled the bottle which inslso doubt so lo..

Hmmm... i think not so nice to reveal the cc lah. Its in the east and not gov one. Nope they did not refill coz i asked one of the teachers and she said my son refused to drink they also cannot do anything. Funny thing is when i fetch him the teacher dun even know which bottle belongs to my son. So i doubt she even made the effort to try and talked him into drinking. :(

How many teachers r there to d class of 5? If there is another assistant, it shld not have an issue feeding d kids wif cups.

DD is not in cc but a sku dat provides full day class. When I visit d sku during break time, I c dat d students there r drinking fr d cups. They were given a choice of juice or water.

U may wanna monitor d situation n den have a chat wif d principal about your concern?

Back