Breast augmentation - Dr Shens or Dr Colin Tham?

Several years ago I did my first BA with XXX aesthetic clinic. Results were not desirable. When I went back for review, the doctor and nurses tried to convince me that it did not turn out as expected because of my pre-surgery condition. Over the years, I have learnt to accept it. Recently after I have my twin babies, I contemplated to have another BA done, thus I went online and did some research. I chanced upon Dr Tan Ying Chien from SW1. Initially I was very sceptical because I did not have a very pleasant experience with the previous surgeon. However I am so thankful that I took the step to make an appointment with him. I had my surgery done recently and the result is exactly what I yearned for. Even though my issue was knotted, Dr Tan manage to untie the knot and recreate the end results that meets my expectation. I would say he has done an awesome job! Therefore I would like to spread his good name and works. Thank you Dr Tan, and not forgetting his great team of lovely nurses too! =)

Hi,
I am in my early 30s, never had children, and had breast fat transfer and facial fat transfer at SW1 with Dr. Tan Ying Chien. I am sharing my experiences for those who might be interested in this procedure. As I probably will not check back on this forum often, I am leaving as comprehensive a review as I can. For reference, fat was transferred from my tummy, love handles and back to my breasts, forehead and undereye hollows.
I did a lot of research on breast fat transfer beforehand. Unlike implants, where you can go to your ideal size in one surgery, I understand that on average, you can only go up about 1 cup size per round of fat transfer. This is because the fat must find a blood supply to survive. If too much is transferred at one go, then the fat will die and get re-absorbed, or, worse, form large calcified lumps inside the breast. Surgeon skill does have an impact on these results, since the appropriate amount of fat must be removed, processed, and injected very meticulously to maximize their chances of survival.
I chose to consult with Dr. Tan because, firstly, he’s a licensed and experienced plastic surgeon. I did ask about pricing before my initial consult. Although there were cheaper options both locally and abroad, I saw that in some of the overseas clinics, surgeries are performed by GPs, and I preferred to go to a plastic surgeon to get mine done. I believe that Dr. Tan is priced competitively for his qualification and experience level.
Further, from my research, I saw that Dr. Tan is experienced with doing breast work, and this turned out to be important for me since he was about to correct the asymmetry in my breasts in a way that was aesthetically pleasing. For me, one breast was noticeably smaller and less round, so Dr. Tan had to be creative in injecting the fat in different areas of the breast to not only increase its volume but to improve the shape.
During my initial consult, Dr. Tan was candid about his track record for this surgery (results achieved, what percentage of fat on average ‘took’ for most of his patients). Since I said outright that I would not consider implants, we only talked about fat transfer. He checked to see if I had enough fat to do the surgery in the first place (I appear quite slim), asked where I would prefer to have fat removed, checked my skin laxity etc., then advised me that he felt I would be a good candidate for the procedure. He did not hard sell me anything and only offered me solutions in direct response to my aesthetic concerns.
Since I was doing breast fat transfer, which happens under General Anesthesia, I decided to also ask about transferring some fat to my face during the same surgery. With regards to facial rejuvenation, Dr. Tan was able to advise me on more options than another aesthetic doctor that I have consulted with in the past. Although the other doctor was also quite good, as a GP, he had a more limited number of options (mostly just artificial fillers/botox/laser), so I think that this is another upside to consulting an actual plastic surgeon – they have a larger array of options to offer, and can talk about their personal experiences with regards to the success of the more creative options. The downside is that Dr. Tan has a waitlist for surgery, so I had to wait around 2 months to schedule my actual surgery.
Dr. Tan did 6 months of checkups with me. Although I could walk immediately after the surgery, and resume normal activities very soon after, full recovery from all the bruising and swelling associated with liposuction actually takes 6 months. During this time, I was free to text Dr. Tan’s assistant, Phyllis, with any questions, and she would check these with him immediately to alleviate any concerns in a very expedient manner. I don’t think that I could have had the comfort of this level of post-surgery care had I gone overseas to do this (assuming air travel post-Covid resumes, of course).
I am now approximately 1 year post surgery. My breasts are 3 inches larger, and my waist is 1 inch smaller. My breasts look symmetrical. I can wear bikinis with confidence. I don’t bother with my push up bras anymore. I can’t fit into them anyway.
Due to swelling, breast size is very large immediately post-surgery, then starts to go down with time. I think that mine stabilized within 3 months post surgery.
A well fitted bra for me now is a 70D. Before, I used to be about 70B. That said, do note that a 70D is not so large since it is a small band (Maybe comparable to a 75B). As I am overall quite slim, it would never have been possible for me to go very large with fat transfer, as I don’t have that much fat anyway. That said, the size difference is significant and apparent on my frame. Whilst I was very bottom heavy with a pear shape before, the surgery has helped to balance out my figure.
I did experience weight fluctuation post-surgery as I started exercising a lot. That said, every time I lose or gain an inch on my waist, I also lose and gain an inch on my breasts, so that my overall shape post- surgery is still improved at every weight.
Before:
Waist: 69cm / 27inches
Chest: 74cm / 29inches
1 Year Post Surgery (in conjunction with small weight loss)
Waist: 66cm / 26inches
Chest: 81cm / 32inches
Regarding the facial fat transfer, I transferred some fat to my undereye hollows and forehead. The fat has remained. As a pleasant side effect, my crows feet that had started to appear actually diminished significantly. Dr. Tan only told me post-surgery that this sometimes happens, due to the stem cells inside the transferred fat. The lessening of the crows feet was actually quite significant. I used to botox that area but now I don’t have to.
Post Surgery:
There was a lot of bruising from the liposuction, as was to be expected. The bruises faded quite quickly for me. There is some discoloration from the insertion points of the liposuction and fat transfer. The ones on my face faded very quickly (as they were small to start with), the ones on my body have faded over time. Post liposuction, you have to wear a compression garment for a few weeks to help with the healing.
If I press my undereye area, I can feel some slight small lumps under the transferred fat there. Dr. Tan says that this is scar tissue, as sometimes happens. The undereye area is quite delicate. Nonetheless, the lumps are quite small and harmless. It is not visible at all, nor do I notice it unless I press hard on the area to feel if its still there. Versus hollow under-eyes, I would still have done the fat transfer here.
The main side effects I was concerned about were lumps in my breasts and loss of fat volume from the dying fat cells. I experienced no lumps in my breasts and no loss of fat volume after the initial 3 month mark.
Overall, I will say that the bruising and other discomforts are quite trivial as compared to the result. Facially, my friends say I look younger even though they can’t pinpoint why. And, my breasts are visibly bigger, fuller, and rounder with nicer cleavage. I only wish I had done this when I was younger. As it is my own fat, I do feel that the result is very natural.
Results are dependent on both the doctor’s skill and the patient’s physiology as well. For example, I am keen to do the surgery again, but Dr. Tan has advised me that since I am slimmer now, I will probably not see as much an improvement in volume as before. Nonetheless, the size increase that he told me was achievable seems meaningful to me, so I have decided to schedule myself in for another round. I am doing this again with Dr. Tan as I was very happy with the first round of results, and I trust that he will give me the best result possible.

I had went to several local doctors for consultations and I'm glad that I chose SW1's Dr Tan YC as my surgeon. It has been 4 months since I did my breast augmentation with Dr Tan. Dr Tan and his team, especially assistant Amber, has been incredibly friendly and helpful throughout this journey. Due to my past complications, there were hiccups during the recovery but Dr Tan was very encouraging and guided me through. I would definitely recommend Sw1 if you are looking for a place where you want to look good and feel comfortable!

Hi there happy ladies, i read all your reviews and decided on Dr Tan YC for my BA (Motiva). I did my surgery on 8 Dec and am freaking out now because i think i went too big with the size. I am petite, 159cm and 49kg and was recommended 265cc, 295cc and eventually chose a 315cc. Dr Tan showed me the 3D Vector imaging thing but i found it hard to visualise. They had also advised to go up in size when i doubt cos many girls regretted not going bigger.

I know its too early to gauge the size as there is still swelling. I hope someone can shed some light on how much of the swelling goes now and does the boob size become much smaller 3 months later? I'm seriously considering a BA revision to change the implants to a smaller size as i'm not feeling like this is the perfect size i want!

Appreciate all your replies <3

I went to SW1 Clinic to get my breast augmentation done.

Dr. Tan was the first and only doctor I went to for BA consult and I went with my gut feelings that he was the one for me! On onset,he went through meticulously the details of the operation, the recovery stage and assured me I’d be up and running by 3rd day post op. I have low threshold pain and my friends can attest to that but the by the third day I don’t feel much except my chest was tight which was expected! The 3D scan was amazing and my boobs turned out the way the scan was. As I am small frame, Dr. Tan gave his recommendations that I should keep it natural (which is also what I had in mind). I’m into my second mth now and my stiches are healing nicely. I had one of the smallest cut which is about 2.5cm! The nurses are very supportive and friendly especially Phyllis!

This BA is one of the best decisions I have made in life. My only regret was I should have done it earlier! I will 100% recommend Dr. Tan. Thank you Dr. Tan!

My friend just did her breast implants with Dr Shens from Shens Clinic , in fact the group of 5-6 of us did our BI with him.
Hers was done like a few months ago and she’s happy to share her experience for the ladies to choose the right and desired size.

Most women will go for a ideal C cup

breast_img_03.jpg

• For a natural teardrop look with a finger gap in between (to fill up loss of volume from the chest bone which might be caused by the loss of fat due to breast feeding)

My friend choose a C, the main reason is to achieve the proportional S shape figure, to look good in clothings and without the hassle of wearing a strapless bra.

She is very active in sports so she want to choose a implant that looks natural with fast recovery.

Dr Shens choose a ERSD355 Motiva implants that suits her chest width that will achieve a C and we are glad to know that Dr Shens is actually the first surgeon in Singapore to use Motiva implants.

The procedure is a short 45mins surgery, and with the nerve block by the experienced anesthetist, she feel more comfortable and can lift her arms up right after the surgery.

She described the pain scale like 3/10 and at night she can even perform simple tasks.

Day 1 of surgery – Able to lift both arms with pain scale of 3/10.
Day 2 post surgery – Able to resume normal activities
Day 14 post surgery – Able to resume sport activities

Overall experience:
Fast recovery / comfortable
Hassle free
Natural
Short incision scar of 2.5cm

The C cup that looks natural and of the right size that suits her body frame and to be able to workout effectively.

Ah Sao 1.jpg

Some regretted of doing a smaller size, most important is to choose a surgeon who is confident to choose the right size for you.
Ah Sao 2.jpg

I recently had my surgery at SW1 with Dr. Chia Hui Ling and I can vouch for how professional and experienced she and her team of ladies were. I had a very pleasant experience from consultation all the way until post op. Dr. Chia, unlike a few others surgeons I had consulted before, takes the time to patiently explain the process and ensure all our questions are well answered.

Within 3 days after surgery I could resume driving. From day 1 I could lift my arms and have a shower on my own. I slept on a recliner chair for a week because I usually tend to sleep on my sides or chest and I wanted to avoid that. There was no pain and I didn't take the painkiller for more than the first night after the surgery. I'm now at Day 20 and though the doctor has told me that I can resume slow and basic (non strenuous) exercises, I am going to avoid it until day 30. Just need to avoid jumping and any vigorous activity which strains the breast and muscles around the area.

The breasts are settling in well too and the outcome looks so great already! I'm excited to see how great they look in the next few weeks. I am super happy with my choice of going with SW1 clinic and with Dr. Chia and her team.

Hi Everyone,
It has been 4 months since I've done my breast augmentation with Dr Tan Ying Chien from SW1 Clinic. I've never regretted this decision. He was very detailed and professional right from the first consultation visit even till now when am back for all my follow up reviews. Also special thanks to his medical assistant team, especially Phyllis who went extra mile by taking non-stop care of me like a friend (which I appreciate a lot, cos that helps to soothe me) and ensuring me that I'm not anxious. I would highly recommend Dr YC Tan as a plastic surgeon for anyone who would like to see a positive change in yourself

This review is based on my true story and honest comments. I felt I had to write this to give justice to the clinic I visited.
Clinic: SW1 at Orchard Paragon

I have oversized breasts. Couldn’t fit into clothes with proper sizing nor find suitable bra sold in Singapore. Had to ship in from American / European countries. And even so, my bra straps were actually impinged onto my shoulders due to the weight.
I had been suffering from neck pain and a hunched posture for years.
I couldn’t exercise much without feeling tensed upper back instead of feeling relaxed as most people proclaimed. I decided to then see a Dr who pointed that the symptoms I had were due to my oversized breasts.

Breasts weren’t proportionate to my body although I am not small sized to begin with. Anyway, the only way to resolve was to undergo a bilateral breast reduction surgery with lift. And as far as I was concerned, surgery like these were very costly. I was also very worried about returning to function and work after less than a week. Dr Chia reassured me that pain is in fact minimal. As for cost, insurance may help. And so I went ahead and planned for my op!
Op day was a breeze – no kidding!

Dr Chia Hui Ling and Team were so professional and gentle. The anesthetist too! Explained in detail every single step that would be happening (not that I would know since I would be sedated throughout). When I woke up, I was already in a silicone tape and post op bra. How beautiful!!! I felt renewed! Really! Recovery was smooth too. Some little expected sensations but otherwise good. 3 months down, I’ve started exercising. Have never really been able to fit into a good sports bra and never jogged (hated it). CHEERS TO WORK TO IMPROVE HEALTH and OVERALL WELL BEING !!!!!!

Time for me to leave a long overdue review for Dr Tan Ying Chien of SW1.
I'm in my early 40s, with 2 kids. Breasts deflated even more after having my 2nd.
I have been thinking about doing something about it and finally found the courage to book a consultation with a plastic surgeon.
Made appointments with a few clinics but went to SW1 1st. Straight after the consultation with Dr Tan, I feel so comfortable with that I cancelled all the other appointments.
The clinic's interior is chic and private.
Dr Tan's professional, straight to the point and understands what i have in mind. The nurses were very helpful and also very assuring.
The 3D imaging really helped me (and my husband) visualize what will I look like after the surgery.
The entire journey from the moment I booked, to today have been nothing but positive.
If anyone is looking for their next makeover, i will strongly recommend Dr Tan

Dr Chia Hui Ling from SW1

I was considering fat transfer surgery from tummy and thigh to breast and first found out about Dr Chia as she was one of the few female plastic surgeons in Singapore.

During the first session, Dr Chia put me at ease as she not only listen and advice but was also able to understand some of my concerns that I did not manage to articulate as I do not fully know what are the options. On the day itself, I was very at ease as I knew that I’m in very good hands ... with Dr Chia and her team. Recovery was also comfortable with the scheduled checks and the prompt reply by the surgery team to any questions that I have.

Thereafter. I started my laser treatment with Dr Chia to get rid of redness and reduce the pore size of my face.Results are very good too and my face condition has improved so much. I then also considered going for the 2nd fat transfer for another part (my knees) and also to touch up a bit of the tummy. Dr Chia gave a good discount for that and combined with the thermage to firm up the treated areas, I’m very happy with the results .

For those who are considering fat transfer or laser, look for Dr. Chia and team and you will definitely be glad that you did .

Hi all!

I’m thinking of doing Fat Transfer for my Breast Augmentation in the next couple of months at SW1 as I’ve read quite a number of positive reviews! I’ve also arranged for my consultation in end Aug 2021.. so excited!!

May I seek your advice on how much you’ve spent in total + the number of sessions you’ll have to go through to achieve the desired results for the fat transfer (plus the payment in tranches since it could possibly divided into several sessions)?

Thanks much & looking forward to your advice! :)

Last edited:
Hi all, I’m thinking of getting a BA surgery. Have been reading positive reviews for Dr Tan/Dr Chia n Dr Shens. Not sure which dr I should go for.. Any advice will be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Hi everyone. I'm new in this forum and wonder has anyone done an en bloc breast explant ?
or any explant and get any recommendation for a skillful and experienced surgeon ?

I m happy to post my post ops surgery pic, just did my BI surgery with Dr Gavin Kang, happy with the results. Dr Gavin is patient and able to deliver what I want. Perky C cup with only a finger gap in between
Recovery is fast too and I am able to resume work by the 3rd day.
3C651908-643C-4002-9E27-C92EAEBB6B30.jpeg

hello! does anyone has any review about Dr Colin Tham?

I have done breast augmentation with Dr Colin Tham a while ago. I was supposed to get implants but doc recommended I get fat transfer instead as my expected results were not that significant. It was a good choice as both the procedure and recovery were quite quick and painless. I'm grateful to Dr Tham for taking good care of me and recommending a procedure that was perfect for my needs.

Back