! Baby fell from bed, PLEASE ADVISE

melodyyy

My baby fell from the bed and i think he hit the back of his head. He did not cry and laughed 5 mins after the fall. He developed a slight fever(37.4 degrees) the next day and was very sleepy and restless. Could it be due to the fall? I brought him to nearby clinic 2nd day after the fall and he was back to normal doctor says he looks ok.

Would like to know if slight fever causes restlessness/sleepy? Or is it due to the fall? And if there's really something bad happening, bad symptoms should continue and not stop after a day right?

PLEASE ADVISE MOMMIES THANKS!!

Hi Melody,

If baby falls and hits his head, there may be a concussion. You have to watch him for 24 hrs after the fall and see if he appears lethargic, tired and has no appetite. Since he has no symptoms after 24 hrs, looks like he's fine
happy.gif

The fever is probably unrelated to the fall, since it went away. And yes, fever can definitely cause restlessness/sleepiness - cos baby will feel weak.The flu bug is going around, so do take care
happy.gif

Thanks for the reply! But he felt sleepy within 24hours after the fall, i just dont know if its due to the fever or the fall =/ he's all happy again the 3rd day.. very confusing
sad.gif

Hi Melody,

My baby had a fall too sometime back in aug, ask the same question to the doc. the docs say it will not cause a fever

he fell off the bed and hit his head against the floor quite hard but didnt cry. so far he's ok but im still worried and confused over the restlessness caused by what.

When my baby fell off the bed, she cried immediately for about 2 to 3 mins. I did not observe any fever/restlessness from her.
Your baby should be fine. Don't worry.

Hi mel,

my advise don't take any chance.

Please go C your kid PD/KKH for thorough check up like xray(to check any fracture) and CT scan(internal bleeding). Insist on these two even doc say its fine.

My baby had a fall, cry for 2-3mins then have milk and sleep. went KKH.did xray(hairline fracture), CT scan no internal bleeding thank god!warded for a day.

follow up for 2 sessions to ensure baby head is fine as brain is still developing.

My baby fell from the rocker which is about knee high. Cried for 10-15 mins. Saw a PD immediately and though everything looked normal, was advised to do a CT scan as precaution. Turn out there's a small internal bleed which doctor say the good thing is thats its a small bleed and should disperse. Stayed a day in hospital for observation. Follow up check and doctor say baby should be fine.

Best to see PD immediately when accidents happen.

my baby fell from bed for 3 times... first time i was so kanchiong... and cried.. d moment i saw him crying.. but soon aft that.. i calm down and remind myself.. tht he shld b ok .. few mins aft i breastfeed him .. he's back to normal.. as in crawl laugh climb as usual.. but still i monitor him for 24 hrs if anyting happen such as.. nose bleeding or vomitting.. etc etc

Hi oositioo, its monitor 72 hours for vomitting, abnormal behaviour..baby may be normal but u never know if theres fracture/internal bleeding.

hi melody,

my gal fell from the bed when she was abt 4 mths old too...my gal is pretty high...ard waist height..too shocked that i went to pd and was warded for a day...she seems ok the next day but thk she was too scare that she keeps cryiong in her sleep...after 2 days later shes ok..so dun worry..as long as no vomitting....its ok...
btw my pd dun advise CT scan for such young bbs too...w kill the cells in them...hop this helps..

Just make sure that he isnt sleeping more than normal, lethargic or vomitting and he will be fine. Sorry that happened. I think that a lot of babies fall at some point. Jsut keep an eye on him and I bet you wont make the mistake again.

If he's not vomiting and there is no signs of blood coming from his ears, nose, or mouth, and his behavior is normal while he's awake, then there are no worries. It's very normal for babies sleeping patterns to somewhat different from day to day. One day they may sleep half the day away, then the next they will be awake most of the day.

my girl fell off the bed a few times too. Once, she even fell from her crib! She's just so curious {and naughty} that she tumbled over the railings!

we can do all we can to stop, but reality is children around that age are so agile and fast, sometimes it really can't be helped.. but just expect it to happen and hope it won't happen again.

true you can observe and monitor after the fall and if nothing is out of the ordinary, should be ok. but if you are really worried, bring to a doc.

Recently in the news there was an article about a 14-mth old baby that fell from the bed and the mother thought he was ok. Next day he fell from the maid's lap, became unconcious and passed away
sad.gif

Better to be safe than sorry, and trust your gut feeling.

Ai @ http://sakuraharuka.blogspot.com

Back