AUTISM, ADHD, ADD, etc - SUPPORT GROUP!

anyone with toddlers/preschoolers diagnosed with dyspraxia? both motor and oral? what are the therapies that you have tried and which worked the best improvement for your child?

Hi Gracelynn,

My boy 4 yo has been diagnosed with verbal dyspraxia. To-date, his speech is still very limited and not able to combine long words.

He needs intensive speech therapy. I am now looking for special school with therapist. He is very shy and avoid eye contact with strangers.

Anyone known any school with caring and gentle teachers and therapists? Asking this because my boy is quite timid and traumatic.

hi vivien,

ABA therapy is based on the idea that behaviors that follow a positive consequence ( reward) will be more likely to occur in the future and behaviors followed by a negative consequence ( corrective feedback like "no" etc) is likely to decrease in the future.

this is applied to teaching children a variety of skills like self help skills,social skills, language and speech etc. It can even be used to shape desired behaviors and reduce disruptive behaviors.

ABA therapists need to receive training before they can practice ABA and there is also scientific evidence that ABA is most effective in treating children with autism.

speech therapy involves helping the child to learn how to speak by working on his oro motor skills such as swallowing, placement of tongue etc.

Occupational therapy is a health profession that uses activities with specific goals to help people from all ages prevent, reduce or overcome effects of disabilities. - singapore association of occupational therapist.

hope this info helps!

Hi letstalkautism, I heard about the positive outcome of Samonas but my daughter's teacher did not encourage it due to extreme behaviours and my daughter only needs mind set changing. She has very sensitive hearing can hear the slightest sound. I am doing reward and consequences at home as ABA is too expensive for me. Am in a dilema not sure if I should do the Samonas cuz I also heard the advert effect.

Any mummies keen to form a playgroup for their kids? I think lack of social kids is due to small social circle. Hope to form a group.

hi lexnchris,

can you elaborate on what are some issues your daughter is facing? between samonas and ABA i would advise you to put your money on ABA. a good ABA therapy firm will be the best investment you could ever give your child. it is very systematic and will break down skills to the level your child needs and then build up from there. it also deals with behavioral issues like non compliance and best of all you can pick up the skills from the therapist through parent training or observing sessions. that way you learn a skill that you can practice for the rest of your life.
I have worked with parents that enroll their kid for a year and receive parent training from the company and then they take over the therapy themselves. that is one option you can consider.

try to find a company or freelance therapist that has good experience in the field( knows ABA well, has experience in a wide range of ASD kids and lessons are fun) and in your price range. good luck!

Hi Scrumpee,

can you intro your private tutor to me? I am interested to get one for my boy also so that he can work on his K1.

My boy is currently attending EPIC in Metta Punggol and showing good progress according to his teachers. However he has compliance issues, and tend to challenge the things we ask him to do. Recently he is rejecting school again (both EPIC and CC), both my hubby and myself are helpless over this.

We tried reward system, postive consequence but it will only work a short while. His psychologist reckon he is above average IQ based on the session she did with him and see him as a Pathlight boy as he is vocal as well.

We are going for the final assessment next Feb and this will determine which school he is going. Like what many mummies says, if we send him to special school, the chances to interact with other students will be minimise. We are also worried he might not be able to merge into the society if he stay in special needs school.

What is your thinking on this?

Hi findjfam
I will pm u the contact but teacher has said before that she is very busy and can't take in any more students. But you can try and ask her. If her schedule doesn't fit, ask her to recommend her friend to you. Both of them are special school teachers.

As for sending your boy to special school, my take is that, if can, try mainstream first. Since he is of high-functioning, there is still a good chance for him to be able to make it in mainstream school. If he can't take the pressure or can't fit in after you have tried, then transfer to Pathlight?

Cos that's the path that I will be putting my boy through. I will let him try mainstream Primary first and see how it goes. If he can't do well then I will transfer him to Pathlight. I reckon it is better to let him face the harsh NT environment first then transfer him to a more protected environment if he can't survive. Cos if I am to put him in Pathlight straight away, he will prob do well cos the environment is protected but he will have to leave Pathlight one day and it may be too overwhelming for him to get use to the NT world after being protected in Pathlight for too long. No doubt, it is indeed very encouraging to see a Pathlight student scoring 273 T score in the recent PSLE but I would be interested to know how this student will perform after he leaves Pathlight. I read from another forum that this boy will apply for NUSH to study Maths and Science, a NT environment. Good for him, hope he can show the world what an ASD kid can achieve. But then, he is an Aspie, so naturally, Aspie is of high functioning and high IQ.

Your boy is assessed by a private psychologist or KKH?

I think apart from the assessment, you can also ask his CC and EIPIC teachers for advise. As they have seen him class, they will be able to share with you how he cope.

I haven't assessed my boy but likely to do so soon.

Hi Scrumpee,

Great to see your reply. Have yet to receive your PM, can PM me again? The gmail always give me problems. Or can email me [email protected]

Initailly I send him to a private PD in TMC (she specialize in Neurology, Neurorehabilitation & Neurodevelopment) to assess, after 2hrs of assessment she diagnose my son as suspected Aspengers. I was tearing uncontrollably as I cannot accept the diagnosis.

She was very nice and encourage me to go via KKH to get referral and subsidise as she mention this is a long journey incuuring high expenses. And there are social workers in KKH to help parents like us.

We got the referral and currently my son is having weekly psychologist intervention by KKH CDU at subsides rate. My boy will be assessed by KKH psychologist next year Feb.

We like you feel encouraging to see Pathlight student scoring 273 score in the recent PSLE. However we want him to learn to be independent and be able to merge back into society. If permitted we would like to try mainstream also, but we was being made aware that allied educators available in primary are very limited. So if there are already a few students needing special needs then the help available might be limited to our children as well.

My headache now is compliance issues, how to encourage my boy to go school. My boy current CC is not very good, they kept labelling my son as 'special child' infront of other children which I think is very bad. Now searching for CC to take him but most CC once understand my boy is suspected of ASD reject my application. Sigh~ so realistic....

U declared your son's condition to the CC?

I also declared to my boy's CC during registration but they are nice enough to take him in.

Maybe u can try ICP? I heard there are some childcare centers that hv integrated programme for special needs kids. Or if your son usually doesn't act up , is verbal and can learn, peyhaps u try not to declare when searching for a new CC? Just tell them that your boy is a little slow, that's all.

Hi Scrumpee,

ya, I tell the CC honestly that my boy is suspected of ASD, no choice coz he do talk differently from other children. Its a matter of time the teacher will find out.

We tried ICP actually but waiting list is verryyy long. We are still searching for a CC that is willing to accept him, his current CC is very bad. Recently one of the parents in my parents group had the same bad experience as me with their CC. When we talk about it we realised its the same CC but different area. The principal even threaten to say they need to reconsider letting her girl continue to stay in the CC and go to N2. Very bad right, they says such condition child should go the special CC cater for them. Its so mean and hurting.

Anyone gt gd ABA therapy centre to intro, fees tat are not tat ex... and any freelance out there willing to teach asd kid???

find.jfam,
Can I suggest that you tell the CC principal ( nicely lah) to brief her teachers and staff at their weekly meeting that they are not to label your kid as ASD/special needs, use the term in front of him, or discuss his shortcomings in front of him. I have also declared to my kid's school, and they know never to do this. Quite frankly, many of them have the misconception that ASD/special needs = poor understanding, so might think he doesn't understand what they are saying. If they know that he understands, they are likely to stop.

It actually didn't occur to me to brief the school on this, until I saw the kind of stuff they say in front of kids. Figured it was better to be safe than sorry
happy.gif

Hi All,
My 4 yr old was diagnosed with high functioning ASD with lack in social and communication skills. He is attending a main stream preschool. He can speak but it is usually what he has heard before ( echolalia).
He was recommended weekly sessions for OT and ST.

He has sensory issues and it is very difficult to make him sit during therapy sessions at clinic and at home. I didn't see any progress with ST and OT.

I read about ABA therapy as the most effective for Autism.
But it was not recommended by the KKH psychiatrist, occupational therapist and private speech therapist.

Does anyone knows if ABA therapy is recommended for high functioning ASD as well?
Please refer good ABA therapist.

Thanks.

Hi caramel,
thanks but I did talk to the principal when she specially "ínvited" for a talk. She very cunning lor, even get a social worker (the social worker is from KKH) to force me to withdraw my boy from school. She emphasis infront of the social worker that her teacher are unable to handle my child.

Anyway to cut the story short, my final ultimatum to the principal and teacher is as a educator/caregiver did they ever show concern or try to find what trigger my boy to act up suddenly? Apparently No! They are not solving the problem, simply trying to push the problem away, not even willing to try. The social worker shut up after I refer her to my boy psychologist for more details coz apparently they know each other. I complain to my social worker (we are supported by a group of social workers in KKH) about this lady and she only shake her head.

She told me this is done in a very unappropriate way. Then the CC teachers, social worker, therapist and parents should work together and not shove the problem..

Hi Vivien and wonderlaa,

I am looking at this website for Parenting with ABA http://www.autismpartnershipsg.com/services_sg_parenting.html

I also ask my therapist if ABA is good, he says I can go for it but its not cheap and literally is what I have learn and doing.(Signpost - reward system, positive consequence and replacing with alternate behaviour) If this is working fine then I do not need the ABA.

hi Wonderlaa,

yes ABA therapy can help higher functioning ASD kids as well! we use teaching interactions to address the issues at hand. teaching interactions will help the child to understand the rationale behind the skill he needs to learn. aside from that, it also teaches the child how to acquire the skill through carefully broken down steps depending on the child's ability.

for example, if the child has trouble joining in a conversation in school, we work on the skill of joining in by breaking it down such as where to stand, eye contact, listening and understanding the topic,what to say if he is interested in the topic and what to do if he is not etc. the child will role play with the teacher first then when he is ready, he can practise with a group of kids his age.finally, he will carry it out in school independently. TIs can address a variety of issues like what to do when youre being bullied, not being bossy, how to play with friends etc

hope this helps!

Hi letstalkautism,

in your opinion, beside letting our child attend the ABA therapy should we parents also go for the training as well? I saw alot of centre offering ABA training for parents but all do not come cheap. Any good recommendations?

hi find.jfam,

i think it is essential that parents receive training as well. this allows the child to have consistency throughout their day. therapy time is probably around 3 hours a day? so the rest of the time, the child will be at home with you or your helper. therefore it is crucial that caregivers receive training. with training, caregivers also gain more control over the situation and are more confident around handling the child. this makes a huge difference in their lives. i've trained helpers and parents and i've seen the difference. such as them finally feeling confident enough to bring their autistic child out to shopping centres or restaurants or even on family trips as they now know how to handle their child's disruptive behaviors.

is it worth the money? yes if you are serious in carrying out what they teach you to do. it involves alot of hardwork and alot of analysing the situation. you must also remain objective. its hard for parents to do so sometimes when your child is bawling their eyes out. i've had parents who were unable to objectively assess the situation or would resort to bribery to get their child to do things just because it was quicker and easier.

so think through it carefully. be ready to put in a lot of time and effort and you'll be rewarded with a happier child and a more peaceful home. i would suggest you choose a company that is reputable as acquiring the right skills are crucial.
happy.gif

good luck!

Hi findjfam,
Sorry about your bad cc experience
sad.gif
Glad you found out before they upset your child even further. Hope you get a good place for your little one soon
happy.gif

hi letstalkautism,

thanks for your advise, could you PM me the few reputable centre for ABA training?

hi caramel,

no worries, I admit I am pretty upset over the episode but somehow feel much happier when I see my boy smiling more often after he left the CC. Previously he would pull a long face to go CC, I know he is putting up as he do not want to upset me. He would tell me every morning before going to CC, "Mummy, I good boy go school. U no angry ok?" I feel so guilty after hearing this.

Now knowing I made the correct choice to withdraw him from the CC, I am a happier person
happy.gif

Thanks letstalkautism.

Hi All,
Can you PM me references of good ABA therapist?
Does anyone had experience with therapists at Autism Recovery Network? Please share.
Also if you have any feedback on NurturePods and Autism Partnership then please share or PM me.
Your any kind of input will be useful for me.

Thanks.

Thanks letstalkautism for your free and consistant advise here. Think all mothers appreciate it
happy.gif

Don't think there are any affordable ABA therapist, mostly at least a thousand and above. Sad to say the mainstream PCS around my area aren't very accommodating to special needs children.

Any mummies bringing their kid to Dynamics OT are they good at their techniques for increasing attention span? Anyone under Florence pls PM me your review. Thanks!

Hi mummies,
My boy willbe turning 3 next year.i m looking for a play group or few hours childcare for him. At the same time waiting for CEL to find suitable epic.
My boy have minimum eye contact n slow in speech.
Do you have any school to recommend that near to my place Hougang? Thank you in advance.

hi lexnchris,

no problem at all! pls feel free to ask questions and i will try my best to answer them.

deep dreamer - i am starting up a company focusing on play group / social skills group some time in march next year. PM me if you're interested!

Hi all,

I am a mum of a mild ASD boy and he has been through 2 years of daily ABA with 2 reputable providers here. I have withdrawn him since.
Yes, I do agree that he has improved with ABA but he also improved with age cognitively and his special school.
ABA has given him the jumpstart he needs when he was completely non-verbal and the basic academics fundamentals.
It helped us to understand and knowing how to manage his behavior.
But I like to share be aware of the shortfalls for ABA as well :
- It is rigid and inflexible, non-functional
- it preaches "model" child behavior
- It is time consuming and very expensive
- some therapists used "abusive or intimidating" tactics
- it constantly stresses the child to be "normal" which is not possible in reality
- it is prompt dependent ie the child waits for instructions
- it delays the parents' acceptance process of their child's condition
- seemingly, there is a program to fix every deficit but it only teach the kid to route learn and perform under certain conditions etc, it falls apart in the real life environment

As in every therapy, there is pros and cons. There is no "THE" best therapy or intervention. Good luck !

Hi Cobbie,

I want to know more abt your experience with ABA.
You don't accept private message.
Is it possible to pm me your email id?

Thanks.

hi everyone!

happy new year! may 2013 be kind to all of us and may we see progress made with our children!

cobbie- seems like you've had some bad experiences with ABA! the company youre with shld have offered parent training and helper training to help your kid generalise across different people and settings. no point if he can only work well with his therapist. oh well hopefully he continues to make good progress in his special school!
happy.gif
all the best !

Hi letstalkautism,

I am trained in ABA and I teach him everyday. He can generalize with me and his teachers in school. When I mean non- functional is ABA only teach him to label alot of nouns etc but he is not using it in his daily life. This is what I meant.
ABA has its strengths and weaknesses too, this is the intention of my posting. Parents should not be mislead to think that it is PERFECT with no shortfalls like what I have been through.
Every therapy has its pros and cons. Without ABA, our kids can also progress.
Pardon me for being frank, I do not think you are being ethical to advertise your therapy services in the forum.

Hi wonderlaa,

I have PM you my email address. I am glad to share my experience with you. ABA has a very long history in the US and you can google on the experiences of many parents too. In US, they have moved away from ABA and adopted more of a play-based approach. ABA gives very instant results but we should be looking at the long term good of our children if we love them.
It is no doubt good for many things but it is not infallible.

hi cobbie

i agree with you that no therapy is perfect ( or else autistic kids will be cured in no time!)and im not saying ABA is perfect but there is scientific evidence showing that it is the most effective treatment for kids with autism. this has always been my stance.

Aside from that, what i share about ABA is what i know from my years of experience working with many kids with ASD of varying abilities daily. the company i was trained with taught us never to teach non functional labels and to always generalise as soon as possible. which is what many of the therapists i work with aim for. i was just sharing my thoughts on your post as to why you might have felt ABA was non functional at times. i mean thats what you do on a forum.. exchange ideas, thoughts and comments.

finally, i have been on this forum for a few months and i have answered many questions posted by mummies here or through my email. i try to provide advice when i can which is usually ABA related questions. i sometimes recommend places to attend that i know are good and professional but im not using this forum to advertise any service. i am here to share my knowledge on a subject i love and to help people who might not know much about ABA and would like to learn more. pardon me if this is not allowed.

happy.gif
anyway hope all is fine, just wanted to clear the air so people can focus on getting answers and making this a conducive environment to share info!
happy.gif

Mums, need some advice. How do you guys discipine your special kids? With my 4yr old ( ASD with speech delay) I used to lightly smack his hand when he was 2+ til recently, when he did something wrong. But he now seems to think that when you don't like something, you should hit the other person. He only does this with people he knows and trusts - also we are the only ones that discipline him. He seems hyper sensitive; even when we tell him calmly that he should not do something, he will lash out and yell and hit us.The meltdowns are frequent now ( 3-4 a day). We have created a 'naughty corner' instead of smacking his hand for the past two weeks, but it does not seem to have any effect. So I'm curious and want to learn, how do you guys manage or prevent meltdowns and get your kids at this age to listen and obey without them freaking out?

hi caramel, for me my #1 rule is not to be angry and vent it out by hitting nor demanding too much for my child because I'm prone to anger issues. do talk to your therapists to see what strategies they have to minimize disruptive behaviour. sweet food like chocolate tends to ignite some form of hyperactivity in children so I restrict mine on that. playing soothing music while giving him a hug or pat just like a baby do work wonders for my case. letting him have his way if not overly unreasonable helps too, depends on your comfort level. for me, playing in the puddle after a rain or getting drenched at the fountain is acceptable. HTHs
happy.gif

Dear mummies,
I am new here. could you please hear my story...
My son is 29 month old now. as he didnt utter any word until 20month (his first word was daddy), we brought him to see private psychologist when he was 21.5month old as i felt that something is not right. but the psychologist said he is too young and she doesnt see him autistic. and asked us to wait until 2yr old. but as a mother instinct i know someting is not right..so i brought him to see another PD who is known as neurologist who said she is worried a bit about my son`s rigidity... and recommended us to go for ST and OT. that time i was 8 month pregant with 2nd child and my emotional up and down was like on the roller coaster. since then we continued ST regularly but for OT, therapist said my son is totally normal and doesnt need continuous sessions. we asked her if she think he is on the spectrum but her answer was flat no. she said she saw many autistic child. so we finished 6 session of OT as a package.and moreover ST also said my son is not autistic..and ST mentioned that herself, OT, PD, and Psychologist had a talk about my son and my son might not be on the specturm.. so i was a releaved with a bit of reservation but my hubby seems totally thought my son is not autistic (from begining i am the only one who thought he is different from other kids and hubby & his family think i am oversensitive so we almost everyday had some argument and queriling) .... and then i gave birth to 2nd child.. after a few weeks of settling down with 2nd one, I feel that i need to find out why my son is different from other kids as I see some of worrying signs that i have read on the internet before.. So i searched again and went to see private child delvelopment doctor for assessment. after talking with the doctor, she mentioned that my son doesnt fit to full ASD criteria and for now she frankly say he is not autistic but she needs to send her psychologist to my son`s childcare to observe for 1 hr as we couldnt provide much info on his social skill... that appointment is next week...
and then,,, i saw dr mary daniel in kkh yesterday (this appointment was done 3 month back).. i was totally disapointed with the way dr handles... after done some kind of checklist with their psychologist(?), saw dr... the dr didnt even look at/talk/communicate with my son. she only talk with myself and hubby on how he is at home or school. after talking 20 min or so, she said we need to see austism centre dr for detailed assessment. and she mentioned that she cant say if he is on the specturm when i asked her opinion.
mummies, is it normal practice to see patient like that? and she was really cold.. i was about to burst into my tears but tried not to...

and my hubby... dont know why he thinks son is totally ok... really dont understand him.. only querrel querrel for since son was about 21 month.. i am really drained now together with taking care of my 2nd one...

this is symton that my son is showing..
*not great eyecontact (he has good eyecontact when he wants or in happy mood though)
*he sometimes looks at his two palm and put together side by side
*he likes to play with doors, boxes, and elebators
*he likes to point to aircon and say "aircon" with big smile very often
*he has improved speech from non verbal to starting combining 2words
*he doesnt like people talking when he is around
*he likes to close things like door, window
*he doesnt play all the toys well
*he cries at vaccum machine/drilling sounds
*it is hard to get him to do activities eg colouring, play with toys that he is not interested, by default he almost always will say "dont want"
*he likes to ask the same question many times even if i answered him

thank you mummies for reading this long posting and appreciate your advice/comments.

If the st n ot can give u such assurance..it can be assuring..but your boy seems Normal to me 3 yrs old will b ife more definite

Thank you Coping for your comment ... I wanted to think that way but on the other hand , I was thinking that they might be inexperienced ....

Hi af7680,

From your list I do see some self stimulatory behaviors ( repetitive behaviors) but I also see some typical behaviors like not being interested in some play and not knowing how to play some toys.

However I do believe parents know best and if you have a nagging feeling something's up, like if he has behavior issues or speech issues, seek out an early intervention centre. You don't need to be diagnosed to attend and it may help your child before he is old enough for a psychological assessment. Early intervention is crucial and can make all the difference! Good luck
happy.gif

Hi letstalkautism
Thanks for the advice . You mean I can send him to early intervention centre before diagnosis ? Could you pls advise how to go about it? Without dr's referral , I can send to those government ones? Thank you

Hi luvagape,

Thank you for the advice! You are right about not expecting too much from him. Plus, there have been a lot of major changes in his schedule recently. Sometimes, because of his improvement, I forget that the issues he has are still there - like finding it hard to cope with changes. I do hold back from hitting, because with the meltdowns, I think both he and I will lose sight of what is happening!

Will just keep trying, briefing him and helping him adapt to changes
happy.gif
He'll overcome this.

Hi Letstalkautism,

I'm curious about your reco to Af7680 to find an early intervention centre before getting a diagnosis. I've heard of this approach before and it seems like shooting in the dark? As you know, children on the spectrum usually have more than one issue - e.g. sensory, speech, motor skills etc. With our child, the only obvious issue was speech, and if we had just treated that, we would have missed the very crucial motor skills problems he was facing too- would have probably only picked up when he had to start writing. As the testing was comprehensive, we realised we had to get OT and ST help. Without testing, how will you know the severity of the condition, what help to get and what goals to set for his improvement. Just curious - because if there is a way I can avoid a hefty psych bill, I am all for it:D

Caramel and AF7680
It is possible to get help from an Early intervention centre before a formal diagnosis.

At KKH, when the doc noticed that my son has delays, she helped to write in to CEL to refer my son to a government aid EIPIC centre. In the doc's report to CEL, she indicated GDD. But of course, after one year when we parents are quite sure that my son is in the spectrum, we requested KKH to arrange a formal assessment for him so that he can be transferred to an EIPIC centre that is specialised in ASD.

But if you do not want to go through government, you can send your son to private EIPIC centres like Leapfrog or Dynamics Therapy centre where they will have specialists to assess your kid. But at such centres, they will not conclude if your kid is ASD, GDD or ADHD as they are not psychologists but Therapists. They will only share with you his weaknesses through their observation and recommend the necessary therapy that he can attend.

There are parents who did not want to have their kids diagnose but continue to send them for therapy. I used to think this is the best for my son too but after looking at long term, I decided this is not feasible. Because when my kid reaches 5/6 years old when I have to decide whether to put him in a mainstream or special school, I will be stuck if I don't have a formal diagnosis report of his condition.

Of course, I can choose to send him to mainstream school and hope for the best. But what if he can't cope? Without the report, I will not be able to seek help from the school's Special needs officer nor transfer him to special school like Pathlight. Especialy for Pathlight, their waiting list is long.

AF7680
In my opinion, if you are so concerned and not convinced by the previous psychologist or therapists' assessment, you can ask the KKH doc to refer you to CEL for admission to EIPIC centre first while waiting for the formal assessment. CEL will process your application with just a clinical assessment by your KKH doc.

Just curious, does your son play with other children? some positive signs are taking interest in what others are playing and want to join, passing toys to other children without prompting, smile and respond to other children when they try to engage him. If he is ok with all these, then not likely to be ASD. The signs that you listed could just be his character or he has other sensory disorder.

Just my two cents worth

Hi Scrumpee,
Thank you for your comment and advice.
I am actually thinking to do that ie sending to EIPIC before diagnosis. but is it possible only via KKH and CEL? private PD cant write into CEL for that? KKH route is really long... the first DR in KKH we saw referred us to see Dr Mae Wong in KKH again but that is almost 3mth later ...
do you know what dr Mae wong will do ?

actually we dont know how my son plays with other kids..he doesnt have peer freind to mix with.and he started attending 3 hrly playgroup only late last year July and teachers said he is improving... so my PD suggested to send psycholigist to monitor him at his cc for about 1 hr... i want to be positive but my six sense says otherwise....

i forgot to mention other sysmtom on my son...

*he repeast words/sentences that we said to him (ST /PD says kids who has speech/language delay tends to do that but isnt it also signs of ASD?)
*he a few days ago started to stack books and tried to align them so that 2 books' cornors being nicely placed. when it was somehow not algined, he cried.
*when myself/hubby try to ask some question, he answers only to his favourite questions or to when he wants.. i feel like its more like one way communication.

Af7680
To go through CEL, I am afraid you need to be referred by KKH or NUH. I don't think you can go through private doctor as the EIPIC centres administered by CEL are government funded.

My son is seen by another doc so not too sure what Dr Mae Wong will do. Do you know if the appt with Dr Mae Wong is for a formal assessment, the 3-4 hours type or just a normal appt? I would think if Dr Mae Wong thinks that your son needs help, she will refer you to CEL for EIPIC at that appt.

I think for now you may want to consider these:

1. Accept your PD's suggestion to have a psychologist to monitor him in school. Or actually, you can try to monitor yourself. Tell your son's teacher that you need to monitor how he behaves in class but of course, you need to hide, can't let your son see you. Is good that u observe it yourself too so that when Dr Mae Wong meets you, you can also share with her your observation.

2. While waiting for your appt with Dr Mae Wong and referral to CEL, make appt with one of the private therapy centres like the ones that I mentioned. Book a date for them to assess your son. This is not to determine whether or not he is ASD, but to determine if he has any developmental delay and right now, what help or therapy does he need. Once you established that, you can actually start your son on the therapy even before the formal diagnosis.

Based on what you have described your son and his previous therapists assessment, he seems ok with his motor skills which is good, means that you have one less worry. But you may want to continue with ST and perhaps start him on special education therapy to address his rigidity, awareness, play skills and compliance.

My son when he was your boy's age displays some of those symptoms you mentioned too. And those therapists that saw him that time also didn't think he is ASD. But as he grows older, it became quite obvious that he is different from other kids in terms of speech and social skills. And my son did not seem to appear autistic earlier on is because he is on the high-functioning side so is more difficult to detect.

Hi caramel,

I agree totally with scrumpee. Alot of parents I work with did that- started intervention first before assessment because they didn't want their child to be formally diagnosed yet. Basically when you go to the therapy centre, the consultants there will assess your child and identify areas that need work on like learning to learn skills, behaviors, play skills, speech and language etc. I think the issue af7860 is facing is that she feels something is amiss but no one can give her a diagnosis yet so it's either she waits until he's ready to be assessed which will waste precious time that could have been used for early intervention or she sends her child to a therapy centre which can help her address her concerns without needing a diagnosis.

Back