AUTISM, ADHD, ADD, etc - SUPPORT GROUP!

Hi Caramel,

Thanks for your advice. I have yet purchase the music therapy and going to buy soon. I will purchase one to test the result. According to Angel she propose 15minutes everyday but you only used 2 minutes. My son sensitive to loud music but I have yet try the Music therapy for him...will try out this week.

At the same time I will buy Negative Ion clothes for him to try. Maybe can reduce his hyperactive behaviour.

I would like to check any mummies here given the medicine call Concerta 18MG prescripe by Psychiatrist. 1 pill cost $3.50 have to consume from Mon-Fri morning only. I'm not sure whether this medicine will help my son but I hesitate. There are few side effects that make me worries.

I kept the medicine for a month and still considering now...any mummies prescripe the same medicine? Please share your thought.

Results showed that 48 percent of the 325 patients surveyed reported at least one side effect, most often loss of appetite, sleep problems, and mood swings. Differences between the drugs in terms of side effects were thought to be minor. About a fifth (21 percent) of the side effects were considered “very bothersome” or “extremely bothersome,” but only 20 percent of patients mentioned the side effects to their physicians.

"What is methylphenidate (Concerta)?"
Methylphenidate is a central nervous system stimulant. It affects chemicals in the brain and nerves that contribute to hyperactivity and impulse control.

Methylphenidate is used to treat attention deficit disorder (ADD), attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), and narcolepsy

7480765.jpg

Caramel - How much is the ABA program? My son already 5 years old but he can't speak proper words...planning to send him there but worry can't afford...

Hi Caramel

My son is turning 3 this November. He portrayed symptoms of ASD when we brought him to KK for assessment. PD eventually decided because he still showed signs of social intent, she didnt think it made sense to 'label' him althought she recommended he go through any therapy that an ASD child will go through such as speech and OT. She did strongly recommend me to ensure my son be put in both mainstream and EIPIC and that I do not remove him from mainstream at all. That apparently is the key to ensuring he is exposed to other children and learn how to accept social environments.

It is not easy for them to socialize. They don't understand the concepts and in extreme cases of course, they fear those environments. Exposure to it will hopefully slowly eliminate that fear and slowly enable them to accept that being in a place with more people is OK and being in a place where people want to interact is OK. At this age anyway, its not so much about academics and what they will learn from the mainstream school and at this age also, kids at school have not gotten to the level of bullying a friend who is 'different' so its the prime age to help him accept socialization.

Then again, teachers in the school are most important. I am lucky that my son have got caring ones in his class that puts efforts in helping him assimilate. I have not been very consistent with sending him for regular OT and speech as I am still sourcing around and trying different therapies and therapists to see which works best. The only therapist that has been with us for 2 months now is a home-based one who does 1-on-1 ABA at home with him.

My son was not verbal when he entered childcare in August last year. He started talking in February this year, reciting alphabets and numbers and can mention colors. We sent him to random speech classes here and there testing and just before we started his ABA 2 months ago, he was able to make requests for milk or pacifier etc. using single words as opposed to before, he will only cry.

The ABA therapist also used some speech therapy and now my son is able to speak in 4-word sentence when he wants something and can understand most instructions we communicate at home. His ABA is only twice a week, an hour each. So I definitely believe the teachers in his childcare contributed more to his overall improvement. From an OT perspective, he also progressed by being able to undress himself now. We have not done OT for a long time so this was definitely something the teachers in childcare taught him.

But I must admit, every child is very different on the spectrum since its so wide. What can be good for my son may not be good for other kids. Just sharing my experience but based on what I have read and heard from other mummies, exposing them to mainstream if possible does help them get over social fears. In Autism, the social barrier is the key factor that handicaps them because most of them have intellect and can actually function well but will always find it hardest to make friends and understand relationships.

Caramel
I agree with Eunice. Therapy sessions and mainstream cc/kindy should go hand in hand. Because in therapy or special ed environment, our kids are with kids with similar conditions, there will be little chance for them to learn social skills. It is only in a mainstream environment can they learn. By exposing them early will also reduce anxiety and fear.

But of course, it is impt that u find a mainstream cc/kindy that is willing to help and accomodate him. Letting him roam around alone is not helping him so you may need to ask around more to find the correct centre for him.

My son attends CC on days that he has no therapy and I bring him out every weekend for playdates, parties etc.

Hi Eunice and Scrumpee, thank you so much for your frank views on this! I have been hesitant as when we didn't have him diagnosed, he was allowed to wander about as long as he finished his work - so he would quickly zoom through the activity and walk off singing and playing by himself. To their credit, his preschool teachers were the ones who spotted him regressing, and that he had stopped making eye contact. They are quite committed to helping him, so we are discussing how to ease him back in. I guess this is the right move to make!

Myap - The school that my son is in, is pretty ex in my opinion, almost $2k a month,and yes, we are throwing pretty much all our money into therapy at the moment. Hopefully, we can ease off on the frequency of therapy in years to come. I'm sure there are more affordable options. To be very honest, its down to whether the teachers are dedicated and capable.We decided to enrol him in this school because he was most comfortable there, and we felt the adjustment period would be less tough for him.

Hi everyone! I stumbled onto this thread while doing some research on children with autism in Singapore and thought I could share some advice. I am currently a behavior therapist in a well -known ABA firm in Singapore and have encountered many parents with burning questions and issues such as yourselves. One question that always comes up is how to improve their social interaction skills.

Caramel – Great decision to enroll your child into an ABA program! it’s the only program in Singapore with scientific evidence of making progress in children with autism. Also with the intensity of which your child is having sessions ( mon- fri mornings) and good therapists, I am sure he will be making even more progress over the next few months.

Regarding your issue of creating more social interactions for your child, there are some areas you have to consider.

1. Is your child able to tolerate having other children around? Is he ok to sit with other children? Play with other children?
2. Can he follow instructions in a group setting?
3. How verbal is he? Is he making comments about things around him? Showing things off to you?
4. Is he behavioral? Will he shout or push other children around?

These are important areas to consider before enrolling your child into a group setting as issues in these areas will hinder social interaction.

Also you need to consider whether mainstream group settings ( kindergarten etc) are the best for your child at this point in time– will he be able to assimilate seamlessly into the group? I would suggest starting with playgroups for kids with autism where groups are small ( like max 5 children) and there are enough teachers to provide assistance to your child while working on specific individualized social targets like giving eye contact with talking to peers ( joint attention) or responding to peer etc depending on his needs. As children with ASD may not be able to pick up social skills readily due to a variety to reasons such as lack of social interest, awareness, speech etc, it is important to start off on the right foot with trained staff that will come up with individualized social tarets for him and can guide him in these formative years.

If however you choose to put him in a mainstream kindergarten, try to get him a shadow that will be able to practice these social skills with him while he is in class. Also, if you enroll your child in a group setting, you should still continue your one-on –one sessions as this is how your child will be able to make the quickest progress. Many parents have opted to give up one on one sessions after joining a group only to realize their child has regressed/ not made much progress in group therapy alone. That being said, progress takes time so be patient and keep the faith!

Hi I have a question regarding Autism. Do Autistic people have difficulty concentrating or listening? I have a friend who had been diagnosed with Autism 10 years ago and she once told me that she has difficulty hearing to people in noisy place because all the sounds are going to her ears and she's hearing a lot of different sounds at once.

Hi Letstalkautism,
Thanks for the insight. We realise its not an easy road, and the questions you raised are exactly the ones we are mulling over right now. Just praying and waiting for the right fit!

hi Jenna, each child with autism is different. some are more sensitive to loud sounds than others and because of this they find it harder to concentrate in more distracting or noisy surroundings. others find it harder to concentrate because they don't understand what is being said due to their language deficits.however some autistic kids have no problem concentrating when motivated so it really depends on the individual! hope that answers your question!
happy.gif

caramel - all the best in your search!

Thanks letstalkautism. My friend is already an adult, she has been diagnosed with mild autistic during schooling time, but currently still has some issues with sounds. I know her from young so I saw how she came along. She had difficulty making new friends, but as long as you spend a reasonable amount time with her everyday, she will slowly open up to communicate with you. She has not much of a problem talking, but her words sometimes will 'accidentally' get slurred.

Dear Mummis,i just attended a NEST STEp workshop at KKH so now have to choose a centre for EIPIC.MY son is 29 months,has not been assess.For him he has no speech,attention is very short and hardly play with other childre.PD says his eye contact is quite good but his fine motor skills are not very good too so he will be under global development delay.

1) Need mummies here to give me some feedback on THK Ang Mo Kio,Metta Punggol or AWWA.As we have the final say which centre to go we really hope to place him in the right centre.
2)I just sign him uo for a ABA programme in WEECARE East coast,any parents with feedback on the pro?
3)As he has zero vocab i will like to sign him uo for SPeech therapy can anyone recommend a good speech therapist or any feedback on SGH speech therapy.KKH speech therapy waiting list is very long.and i think montly session of 4 times is not going to be of much help.

Mummie,I just went to dynamics centre today to enquire abt their early Intervention programme.can I hv some feedback frm mummies here.i haut started my son on wee care Aba programme so hopefully not to hv too many changes.the fees at forum dynamics is quite high hence wish to find our more.

Hi Scattermum

My boy is with Metta Punggol and I find the teachers are a committed lot and they really walk by the talk, always willing to help should we encounter any challenges and there is always communication with parents/ caregivers.

My child has progresses well for the one year he's with them and he has really come a very long way.

Hi All,

I am new here and was going round in circles online trying to find out some answers regarding ASD.
My son is 2.5yrs old and the recent trip to a GP (a new GP who he has never seen before) had asked me if he had issues with ASD.

I brushed it off as firstly because the GP was new, we had a huge change in helper, he had just joined play school and there was massive changes.

After attending playschool (MMi) for about 4/5 months now, the teacher has noted that he tends to constantly repeat whatever is being said to him, minimal eye contact and does not sit with his friends, circle time etc..when triggered with an emotional issue, he will tend to repeat certain words such as ( mommy coming, mommy coming its ok mommy coming).

During his latest PTM the teacher has written down in his book that he still likes to repeat words that she says, I've noticed that now that he does it quite often, most of his speech is based on whatever anyone else says and he then repeats it.

I thought it was part of learning how to speak! Its hard because I don't have a benchmark to see his progression and I always believe that each child grows on his own..however after speaking to his teacher and taking into what the GP said a few months back, I am noticing a pattern that I am now concerned.

A few things that has triggered my research:
1. Tends to repeat whatever is said to him and seldom ever answers a question.
Eg: What color is that car? He: Color is that car? Color is that car? red car. Color is that car?
Eg: Today is your friend's birthday, we are going to his party! Are you excited? He: Friends party. Friends party. Friends birthday party.
Eg: Sees a toy that he likes, repeats it: Red car red car red car sometimes even getting agitated and ends his spell with a scream: RED CAR!

- bad mommy feeling: I thought this was part of learning how to speak. He is 2.5yrs old, is this an issue?

2. In school he does not sit or play much with his friends. Teacher says he at times runs around the class repeating words such as mummy coming mummy coming its ok to calm himself down.

- bad mommy feeling: I just thought that he is a shy-er boy and that he says things to calm himself down. I thought that was normal. Is it?

3. Does not like to have eye contact with new people
- bad mommy feeling: Is he just shy?

4. Does not like when people laugh. Starts to scream when people laugh and chuckles.
- bad mommy feeling: I just thought that it might be shocking for a child.

5. when younger, faced with a situation that he is uncomfortable, eg: New place, people laughing, strangers talking to him, he will suddenly say: Mommy coming later! its okay its okay. which in turn makes people laugh even more than then he starts to cry.

Sorry for such a long post, i felt i needed to give some context and I would really need some help.
Do I go to a polyclinic and say what? an assessment?
Can I go straight to KK CD for an assessment?
Is there private practices that are pretty affordable for an assessment?

Thanks so much in advance mommies
happy.gif

xx

Hi Wonderpets,

You are not alone....

(1) Does he look people in the eye when people are talking to him?
(2) Does he display joint attention?

Your child may be exhibiting some features of an ASD child not but it doesn't mean he is one. He might just be displaying separation anxiety at this moment or having a minor psychological issue (e.g. he doesn't like people to laugh because he thought they are laughing at him?)

I always believe a mummy's instinct never fail. If you have a concern, its best to speak to a professional or send him for an assessment. No one can answer your questions better than a professional.

You can get a referral letter from any Polyclinic for a child development assessment at KKH or walk in to KKH directly (at non-subsidised private rates but the wait is shorter). I went to KKH.

Meanwhile, don't overlook your child's emotions and fears. Talk to him to know how he feels or let him hear how you feel. If he can't express himself, take down your observations of his behavior because your notes are very important at the assessment. I can sense that your child is very afraid.

Hope the above helps.

Thank you so much. I might go check it out at KKH. Is it by appointment?
Do we have to bring particular information?
TIA
xx

Hi Wonderpets

Yes, you are not alone. Maybe I can help.

If go to KKH, its better for u to go to a polyclinic to get referral as u will get subsidized rate. But the wait will be long.

Alternatively, you can get your GP to refer u to a private child psychologist.

For my boy, he first visited a private child psychologist because I was anxious to know what is wrong with him. At the first visit, you will get a clinical assessment but the psychologist will not be able to confirm the diagnosis unless he puts your son thru a grueling 3 hrs assessment.
As your child is only 2.5 years old, it is also unlikely that the psychologist wants to put him thru that as he is deemed to young to assess.

However, based on their clinical assessment, they can tell u what your kid is weak at and recommend the therapy that he needs.

You can go to the private psychologist and queue for KKH CDU's appointment concurrently. I did the same for my boy so that he can get subsidised rate for his early intervention programme.

But before he was put on the subsidised intervention programme, he is already attending private therapies recommended by the private psychologist.

Hope this helps

Hi srumpee

Thank you so much. It def has helped me understand the procedures that I can look into... It's been a little challenging getting around finding proper information on random bits. Gotta love the forums for such support
happy.gif

Which private psychologist did you go to and would you know how much an initial assessment might cost?

Wonderpets

My PD referred me to Thomson Paediatric Centre's CDU. http://www.thomsonpaeds.com/cdc/locations/sbcc-clinics/

The center has psychologists and Speech and occupational therapy services. My boy's first visit to the Psychologist is $160-$180, can' remember the exact amount. U can give them a call to set an appointment with the psychologist.

My boy attended their ST and OT services for a while. I have changed therapists for him since then. He now goes to 3 different places for his interventions and therapies.

You mentioned your boy attends MMI? Haha, so is my boy.

my son attends MMI too! i still remember the first time we came out from KKH and found out that my son was suspected of having ASD, and we notified the teachers, i asked them if i should find a new school for my son and the teachers kept stressing "nooooo, no need to do that...! we can help him here. don't worry. we will do our best to help him." and they really did. that inclusive attitude they have is very good. they also told me there was another boy with similar condition in their school but in K1. the team of teachers at the schools are the most important.

Hi wonderpets,

Sorry for the late reply but i am sure Scrumpee has replied you already.

Why don't you also get your child started with private ST first while waiting to be assessed? Early intervention is really helpful.

My child's condition made me realised many things. For one, happiness can come in the smallest and simplest forms
happy.gif

So mummies out there, stay happy and positive!
happy.gif

Hi Scattered mom: I have a list of private ST. I can email you if you would like to have a copy. ABA helps but the sesions don't come cheap. It costs me $2,000 a month.

Cheers

Hi Icebaby, which aba did u go? How many times a week and how long each session? I'm considering autism partnership but their fees are so high... $3888 for a 5 day week, each day 3hrs.

hi wonderpets,

a lot of parents i know send their children to kk for an assessment. i think if you can get a referral from polyclinic it might be cheaper.

you identified some autism traits you have seen in your son like echolalia , poor tolerance to new people and environment, and maybe sensitivity to loud noises. it will be good to take note of what happened before the behavior occurred so you can assess why he is behaving this way.

for example is he echoing you because he doesnt understand the question? or because he wasnt listening clearly as he was engaged in something else? or does he know what a party is?

a visit to a psychologist will be a good place to start. with a diagnosis you can then plan your next step. take it a day at a time, and if you need to send your child for therapy, early intervention is crucial and will make a big difference to his progress. i have worked with many young children and seen them improve greatly.
happy.gif
stay positive!

hi anna,

ABA is most effective when it is carried out intensively. that means a minimum of 15 hours a week with well trained therapists. i know this because i am an ABA therapist and i see my kids make progress bit by bit everyday
happy.gif
also dont give up hope if you dont see a big difference initially. it'll take about 3 to 6 months of intensive therapy to see a big change but when you get there its well worth the wait to see all the progress your kid has made!

I really wished therapy in singapore can be more affordable. Not everyone can afford a $180 per session fee and we all know there is a recommended number of hours to clock before you see results but who can afford that 4K a week cost?

The PD at KKH didn't diagnose my son as he was still young and portrayed signs of social intent but she recommended he sign up for EIPIC and continue mainstream. Trust me, it has been very frustrating wi the long wait list and as much as we want to adhere to the PD's recommendation to combine both EIPIC and mainstream schooling, it has made it an even bigger obstacle trying to ensure schedule for both schools fit one another for the child. With no formal diagnosis, we become even more disadvantaged so have to scrape our wallets every month to provide the most we can for our son. I wish we can learn from the western countries where there is more awareness, more help and more welfare to help these children. Every child is the pillar of our future. A lot of these special child have potential to flourish and may be able to contribute to society but they must get all the help they need. Sad thing is in Singapore, it's way too hard.

Hi wonderpets, my 3.5yo son is exhibiting about the same symptoms as yours therefore the KK pd diagnosed him as speech and occupational delays. Repeating of words is known as echolalia but it is a good thing to him as he remembers things better this way. Also, he's talking more compared to about a year ago.

I've booked an appointment in Jan 2012 via polyclinic to KK CDU. He got a place at EIPIC building bridges 4 months later and we are looking at 5 hours per week sessions before he starts pri 1.

Sometimes I feel so lonely when I see my friends' kids talking well and writing and I can't connect much with them. The only person whom i can relate is my hb cos both of us are late bloomers. Glad I've found this support group.

Hi Everyone,

I am a mum of a 4.5 yo boy with mild-moderate autism. I read your posts and it reminded me of myself a few years back. While I can identify with your anxiety to "cure" your children of ASD, I like to share my own journey with you.
My son was diagnosed clinically at 2yo and since then, I started on the warpath to cure him of his condition. I have tried many therapies and self taught myself ABA, even alternative therapies.
Today, my son has improved alot from what he is last time but he is still far behind his peers. He can request and ask for help, can read and write his own name etc. and lately, he even started to sing !!! These may not seem like a big deal to many parents of NT children but I fought tooth and nails for him to be where he is today.
I like to think that my hard work and his intensive therapy improved him but AGE and the child's readiness/potential plays a very important role too. Many providers are promoting to us the importance of intensive (30-40hrs) of weekly therapy. But I feel a child needs to have time to play, go outside to see the world too like normal children.
What is most important is true love and acceptance and the child can feel it. Do not view ASD like a tumor you have to remove from your child. It is him and he will always learn and think differently how much therapy he underwent. Nothing is gonna change that. Embrace his differences, focus on his strengths and love him as you would if he is a normal child. Help him along and do not try to change them. They can improve and adapt with time and patience.
For many of us who cannot afford expensive therapy long term, we should learn from the experts and teach them ourselves. What is important is the human interaction and draw them into our world. If your child likes ball game, play ball with him. if he likes singing, sing together with him...let them know that you still love them and even more so, even he is special.
and most important is self help and life skills, many parents get caught in chasing the academic, speech and social and forget about this most important skill set.

Hi all

I have a kid on the spectrum and has helped my relative to purchase books. But upon purchase, he cancelled on me. Now I have brand new books on hand which I purchased from amazon. Letting go at cost (ie amazon price + shipping). If you are interested, they are as follows (indicated Kinokuniya pricing for reference only):-

1) It takes Two to Talk by Jan Pepper and El;aine Weitzman (S$80) Kino: S$166.73

2) The Social Skills Picture Book (Teaching Play, Emotion, and Communication to Children with Autism) by Jed Baker, PHD (S$40)
Kino:S$66.55

3) Early Intervention Games by Barbara Sher (S$20) Kino: S$27.28

4) The Out-of-Sync Child has fun: Activities for Kids with Sensory Processing Disorder by Carol Stock Kranowitz, MA (S$20) Kino S$26.69

5) Raising a Sensory Smart Child: The Definitive Handbook for Helping Your Child with Sensory Processing Issues by Lindsey Biel and Nancy Peske(S$20) Kino: S$27.89

If you are interested to browse and I'm not letting go these ones as I still need them, my 'library' also include: "More than Words" and "Talkability" (both by Fern Sussman).

Tks. Feel free to pm or for faster response sms me (98006782).

Hi mommies

May I ask what the difference is between having speech and occupational therapy at a child development centre (eg. KKH/Olive Tree) and having EIPIC at the EIPIC centres? Do they do essentially the same things or is it different?

I have an 18 month old who is having some speech and motor delay (and may be autistic) and I am just about to start occupational and speech therapy at Olive Tree Development Centre. Found out about EIPIC centres online but wonder what the difference might be?

Many thanks in advance!

Hi kirsch

Have you brought your child to the hospital for proper assessment?

EIPIC stands for Early Intervention Program for Infants and Children. The program equips them with fine/gross motor, cognitive, communication, social, and self-help skills.

OT and ST are just components of an EIPIC program. Just like when we send our kids to school, Maths and Science are subjects only. OT refers to occupational therapy which works more on the child's muscle tones, self help skills and life skills and motor skills while ST is speech therapy which works on the oral challenges of the child, be it pronounciation, speaking, chewing, drooling issues etc.

Some of these therapies do overlap a little between what each is trying to address.

There are private providers offering EIPIC programs and there are also non-profit organizations offering them. The difference is the latter usually come at a subsidized rate and the former obviously costs more. Effectiveness is subjective so nobody can really say which is good or bad as every child has a different need and responds differently to therapy. If you wish to enroll your child in the non-profit organizations' EIPIC program, you will need to get referred by CEL, a middle man to all these centres. Before CEL will refer you, the child has to be recommended by a hospital after assessment. Downside for enrolling into EIPIC with non-profit organization is the waiting time that stretches between 6months to sometimes a year before your child is placed.

Good to ensure your child is properly assessed before you seek therapy. Very often, at 18 months, its very early to determine for sure if the child is autistic. Unless they show classic symptoms such as aggression, stimming, self inflicting behaviours etc. Speech and motor delays in children this age is not un-common. Every child progresses differently and I can understand your anxiety when they are not hitting certain milestones when they should but see your child's overall behaviour, is he able to interact with you? Has he got good eye contact? Is he happy or expressionless most of the time? Does he spin himself, his toys or look at things that spin alot? If there are no issues with these other areas, and just speech and motor delays, I don't think he is autistic.

If you need more information about EIPIC and/or Olive Tree, PM me. I can share more offline.

Hi, my son was diagnosed with aspergers a few months ago. he is in K1 now, but thinking of taking him out of current kindergarten to put him into a new one with smaller class size, less students. do you think this is a good idea ? In his current kindergarten, next year K2 there will be 25 kids with only 2 teachers.

Thanks. really need some help here.

Hi Shouili, a smaller class size is quite helpful for our kids. Is your son currently seeing a therapist? If yes, he or she may be able to recommend some schools that other clients go to, that have better student to teacher ratios.

Hi, just to share my experience here.
My 3.5 yo daughter was diagnosed with ASD end of last year. She is now in mainstream childcare and EIPIC at the same time. Before that she is non-verbal, very poor eye contact. Like what Cobbie said, we started on the warpath to cure her condition. Me and my husband attend many workshops & pick up skills to teach her, and yes we have pick up a lot of skills and knowledge to teach my daughter.
I am glad that my daughter has really improve, she can request things and ask for help, she can sing too. She is performing at the childcare year end concert too. Me and my husband desperately want to see her performance.

If you need help, I am most willing to share my experience.
Jia You mummies.

Dear May May,

Thank you for the sharing. I have a 2.5 boy who is likely to be in the spectrum as well as GDD. Currently in mainstream CC and private EIPIC. However, find it extremely challenging to train him at home. Till now, very poor eye contact and response. Would be keen to touch base with you if you don't mind. Many thanks!

Hi all,

I agreed with what mummy cobbie's wrote. We must love and accept the way the child is. The child can feel it.

My son is 5years old now with mild ASD. Since 3 years old +, he has gone for EIPIC and mainstream CC. He did show improvement but recently, we have to make a decision for him.

Mainstream CC teachers and social worker had talked to us about our son's academic performance is not up to expectation and suggested us to put him back to N2 for year 2013. That's mean next year instead of going K2, he will be back to N2 to learn basic alphabet/sounds etc. He will be going to P1 when he is 9 years old.

We do not know if we have made the right decision in defer his studies. Our main concern is that we hope he will be able to cope/adapt his future school life better.

I would like to know if anyone has experienced it like me. Is it better this way ? Can someone give me some advice or encouragement about this ?

Hi Melissa

I think you have to weigh the following factors

1. If put him back to N2 in the same CC, what will the teachers do differently to help him catch up on academic? If no change, then will he be ready to move to the next level come 2013? Or is it a matter of finding another CC / Kindy that can better help him in this aspect.

2. I suppose your son is K1 now. But why did the teachers only mention about his performance now and not when he was at N2? If they had noticed this earlier and inform you, you could have done something to help him.

3. And by the time he is 9 years old, do you plan to send him to mainstream pri or special school like Pathlight? I think the best is to see your child's psychologist for advise. They can conduct a school readiness assessment on him.

I think if I am you, instead of putting him back to N2, maybe just retain one year, back to K1 and get him private tuition.

My boy is also a mild ASD case. He is 3.5 years old and in N1, moving to N2 next year. But I started him on private tuition since last year. He is able to read, spell, knows his alphabet sounds/phonics (most of it if not all), count, do simple addition and write. The tutor I got for him teaches in special school so she uses interesting materials to teach him and he looks forward to her session every time.

My boy also enjoys his Chinese class at Berries. I think they have nice and caring teachers, you may also want to let your boy try it out.

Hi Melissa, are you interested in teaching your child on your own? Actually I did that for my daughter, she is now in n1, going n2 next year, I teach her phonics and words, even Chinese words. If you keen, I can share some of the material I did on my own or share by some homeschool mums. My daughter is also have mild ASD, actually I send her to mainstream cc is to improve her social skill. And it's work.
Maybe you should take scrumpee advice, retain him at k1, and try to catch up whatever he should know.

Hi all, I too am keen to get some feedback on Dynamic's OT, as well as some ABA tips. I know that ABA is about rewards system and got to buy lots of toys. Blessed, I'm also at WeCan and created a Christian parents support group can join our group if keen
happy.gif
it's just sharing some inspirational videos and scripture verses.

Hi MaY MaY - I;m interested in the teach your child. My boy is 3yrs old now, only word is "Car" and recently starts to say the alphabets. He was diagnosed ASD when he was 2.5yrs but psychologist unable to tell is mild or moderate as he was too young. However, psychologist find his interaction is ok, just the delay in speech.

Back