Anyone needing/with a cerclage due to incompetent cervix?

LadyP

Hi ladies,

I lost my first baby at 15 weeks when my water bag burst. I have since been diagnosed to have a naturally short cervix and at 13 weeks next week, I'll be putting in an elective/preventative cerclage. I don't seem to find much about women doing cerclages in Singapore though my veteran gynae says that it's not that uncommon – I'm not sure if it's something ppl don't discuss often here in Singapore? I do find a lot of content and forums on bed rest and early cerclages due to previous second-trimester losses on overseas websites. Just wondering if anyone was or is in the same situation as I am? At 12 weeks plus, my cervix measured 2.5cm yesterday so I am very sure I was born with a naturally short cervix and that a cerclage is the only solution for me at this time. Would love to be pregnancy buddies with anyone going through this as I had to quit my job and be on modified bed rest. Thank you!

Hi

My case was like u.. I was under cerclage from 18 weeks .. When you was under cerclage gyne will give u external progesterone injection till 36 weeks . My gyne removed my cerclage at 36 weeks and I delivered my bb in 38 weeks .

I agree u need rest if u r under cerclage but can be like normal preggy n can do all sort of light work :)

I was working till 33 weeks, so it doesn't need t b complete bed rest .mine is McDonald's stitch .

Once cerclage done , there is very less probability that water bag burst out ,

The only issue is u might get urinary infection ( mostly bacterial ) common with cerclage as there is a external stitch .

Hi

My case was like u.. I was under cerclage from 18 weeks .. When you was under cerclage gyne will give u external progesterone injection till 36 weeks . My gyne removed my cerclage at 36 weeks and I delivered my bb in 38 weeks .

I agree u need rest if u r under cerclage but can be like normal preggy n can do all sort of light work :)

Hi aksram, thanks for your reply. I will be put on modified bedrest this pregnancy as my gynae isn't risking another loss (I wasn't under him the first time and I had a blighted ovum last year too). I am already taking progesterone jabs in first trimester and he has stopped them this week.

Was yours done under sedation or epidural? My gynae will choose sedation for me. Did you have contractions, discharge and pain after the procedure? I m worried about my constipation and about making things worse if I strain. Thk u!

Hi aksram, thanks for your reply. I will be put on modified bedrest this pregnancy as my gynae isn't risking another loss (I wasn't under him the first time and I had a blighted ovum last year too). I am already taking progesterone jabs in first trimester and he has stopped them this week.

Was yours done under sedation or epidural? My gynae will choose sedation for me. Did you have contractions, discharge and pain after the procedure? I m worried about my constipation and about making things worse if I strain. Thk u!
Hi
Mine was c section ( decided by my gyne at 30 weeks itself ) as my bb head is not down.. After d cerclage procedure there might b very less bloody discharge which is very common . But it ll stop in a day .. There won't b any pain at all.. N won't feel any discomfort while walking and all. Obviously there ll b false Contractions which usually head up in 34-36 weeks to make us scare.. Other than that no big contractions ll b observed .

Probability of constipation is common in pregnancy cos of iron intake. My gyne usually suggest me t increase juice intake t prevent constipation as sometimes bad constipation ll end up in piles :(

Hi dollylittlegal, do you mind me asking if you are planning for one soon too? I am really nervous. Mine will be done at gleneagles under dr Peter chew.

Hi ladyP, I had experienced a twin week 23 loss in 2014 and till now I am still scare to get pregnant. Everything was fine until week 21 detailed scan discovered my cervix had shortened, had a emergency cerclage but still can't keep my babies. So my next pregnancy , I will go for a preventive cercladge but still thinking which gynea n which hospital to go to. Private hospital is too expensive if bb is born early, so thinking of government hospital...

Hi ladyP, I had experienced a twin week 23 loss in 2014 and till now I am still scare to get pregnant. Everything was fine until week 21 detailed scan discovered my cervix had shortened, had a emergency cerclage but still can't keep my babies. So my next pregnancy , I will go for a preventive cercladge but still thinking which gynea n which hospital to go to. Private hospital is too expensive if bb is born early, so thinking of government hospital...

Hi DollyLittleGal, sorry to hear about your loss. I lost my first baby in 2014 too and had a blighted ovum last year so I understand how you feel about feeling scared to get or stay pregnant. There's no innocent joy anymore of being a pregnant woman, just gratitude and fear. I have read a lot about cerclages and incompetent cervix. The cervix tends to get weaker and shorter especially with multiples pregnancies. But mine was a singleton pregnancy and even now, my cervix has already become shorter than normal at just week 12 so a preventive cerclage is my only bet and even then, my gynae said that I must really rest and lie down most of the time. No sex (which i don't mind cos my hubby and I are already so worried about the baby) and no going out of the house. Do you have a fixed gynae? For my first pregnancy, I went with the private suite at KKH (it's not very cheap either) as I had thought that it would be cheaper if any complications arose from my pregnancy but from personal experience, it seems that the gynaes there (especially the one I had and he was a senior consultant and a department head) were rather busy and distracted. When I had a few days of severe backache (I didn't know they were mini contractions as I had no experience), I went to the A&E dept but the doctor on call told me it was normal and sent me home. Then I went to see my gynae (cos the wait can be very long even though I paid private fees) at KKH but he also laughed it off and said it's normal to have backaches (mine was so bad that I had to hold my hips) and he could only offer me one day MC cos he said for govt hospitals, they have to answer to MOH each time they issue too many days of MC. I'm not sure if that's true or not. When I was admitted after my water bag broke late one night, it took my gynae forever to see me and even then, he just simply told me that he could give me a medicine to terminate the pregnancy as it can't be helped. Sorry, not trying to scare you or complain about govt hospitals here (the KKH nurses are very very good and compassionate though!!!) but just my experience. I'm now with a private gynae at Gleneagles who's known to be very kiasu. He sees and scans me every week, and has started measuring my cervix. Of course, his surgery charges would be more expensive but I'm hoping that they would result in a healthy full-term pregnancy. Wishing you good luck in your journey ahead because I totally understand how you feel and I really hated it when distant acquaintances kept asking why we didn't try again or told us not to be too sad. :( But then, they always had smooth pregnancies.

I had a leep cone done in 2012 which resulted in cervical incompetency. I did not know about that until I loss a child at 13 weeks gestation last year. Currently, I am 22 weeks pregnant with a cerclage placed at 14 weeks. So far, the cerclage is doing it's job. So dont't worry, u are definitely not alone and things will go well for u this round. Good luck!

I had a leep cone done in 2012 which resulted in cervical incompetency. I did not know about that until I loss a child at 13 weeks gestation last year. Currently, I am 22 weeks pregnant with a cerclage placed at 14 weeks. So far, the cerclage is doing it's job. So dont't worry, u are definitely not alone and things will go well for u this round. Good luck!

Hi Karmaplaysitall, thank you for your insight and well wishes. Good luck to you too! Did you experience a lot of discharge after cerclage? I know it's common to have some discomfort or blood after the procedure but I just want to know how much is too much. :(

There is slight bleeding after the cerclage but was not sufficient to soak a pad. I only tend to see more blood when i wiped after using the toilet. it subside pretty fast for me. By night i wasnt bleeding red, juz some drops of brown stain. Cerclage procedure is not painful n until today i dont get much discharge. I dont haf any other intervention other than the cerclage, not on bedrest n still working.

There is slight bleeding after the cerclage but was not sufficient to soak a pad. I only tend to see more blood when i wiped after using the toilet. it subside pretty fast for me. By night i wasnt bleeding red, juz some drops of brown stain. Cerclage procedure is not painful n until today i dont get much discharge. I dont haf any other intervention other than the cerclage, not on bedrest n still working.

Hi Karmaplaysitall, thanks for your reply. Good to hear that it's not painful as my gynae said no painkiller is needed but since he's a guy, I don't really believe him when he says it won't hurt! I hope mine turns out as smoothly as yours did. Due to my previous experiences with miscarriages and heavy bleeding, I am very icky about seeing coloured discharge or blood when pregnant. Did they use GA or epidural for you? Mine will be GA and I hope it won't affect the little one. I'll also need one night's stay in hospital just in case there's complication. Thanks for chatting with me – I appreciate it!

Its doesnt hurt at all. I went to the toilet myself after i was wheeled back to the ward. Cerclage performed under full GA, anesthetian will control the dosage to ensure its safe for the foetus.

Hi dollylittlegal, my cerclage didn't work n instead gave me infection and blood poisoning. :( I lost my baby again last weekend, one week after the cerclage. If you ever find a doc who is very experienced with incompetent cervix cases, please share w me. Though I might not want to get pregnant anymore as it seems that my cervix is so weak it gives way as early as 14 weeks. Twice. Thank you. :)

Hi dollylittlegal, my cerclage didn't work n instead gave me infection and blood poisoning. :( I lost my baby again last weekend, one week after the cerclage. If you ever find a doc who is very experienced with incompetent cervix cases, please share w me. Though I might not want to get pregnant anymore as it seems that my cervix is so weak it gives way as early as 14 weeks. Twice. Thank you. :)

I am so so so sorry to hear about your loss. Pls dont give up hope. I also lost a daughter before at 13 weeks last year due to cervical incompetency. Have faith, your rainbow child will come.
My current gynae did told me the only thing she worry is infection after cerclage. I was put on antibiotic before the cerclage procedure n immediately after too. today, my cerclage is still holding. I can recommend u my gynae if u wish to see her.

I am so so so sorry to hear about your loss. Pls dont give up hope. I also lost a daughter before at 13 weeks last year due to cervical incompetency. Have faith, your rainbow child will come.
My current gynae did told me the only thing she worry is infection after cerclage. I was put on antibiotic before the cerclage procedure n immediately after too. today, my cerclage is still holding. I can recommend u my gynae if u wish to see her.

Hi karmaplaysitall, thks for your msg. I hv lost two babies seemingly due to incompetent cervix but it could have also been due to infection and premature contractions. I m already 37 and don't know if I have the energy to try again as I have had so much done to my insides and down there (three D&Cs and one myomectomy for fibroids). Feeling very lost and down. My doc only gave me five days antibiotics after the surgery. Do you think being prescribed them before surgery helps cos we have so much bacteria in us? Please let me know your doc's name for my future reference. Thks.

Hi karmaplaysitall, thks for your msg. I hv lost two babies seemingly due to incompetent cervix but it could have also been due to infection and premature contractions. I m already 37 and don't know if I have the energy to try again as I have had so much done to my insides and down there (three D&Cs and one myomectomy for fibroids). Feeling very lost and down. My doc only gave me five days antibiotics after the surgery. Do you think being prescribed them before surgery helps cos we have so much bacteria in us? Please let me know your doc's name for my future reference. Thks.

i was given augmentin before my cerclage, after a cvs procedure. i had my cerclage done on the 4th day after cvs and continued with augmentin for another week. my gynae said its good to start on augmentin early to reduce the chances of infection fr a cerclage procedure. she also asked me to stop inserting the progesteron pessary which kkh gave me for my incompentent cervix. she wanted nothing thru the vaginal before n after cerclage, again for fear of infection.

my gynae is dr cathryn chan from astra women. she has clinic at mt e n hougang. infact i found her randomly, no recommendation, etc. i was extremely dismayed by kkh's delay in giving me my cerclage n i happened to saw her clinic's signboard at hougang. i took down the number n called. she was reluctant to see me initially as i was alrdy 13 wks along n had interventions done at kkh, plus she was already very overloaded with patients. but i insisted n she allowed me to go in. i waited from 11am till 5.30pm before being finally seen. when she did a scan for me, i was slightly opened from the outside alrdy n having mild spotting. she told me timing is very crucial for my case n i cannot afford to waste another minute waiting for kkh to schedule me with prenatal tests which should be cleared way before i even reached 12 weeks. she asked for cvs to be done straightaway to rule out ds completely, fast result in 2 days, by 3rd, i was admitted to mt e n cerclage done on 4th day morning 6.30am.

im glad i went to see her, seriously, dont read blindly on forum opinions. go with ur instinct. i tot kkh was good, but i almost lost another daughter if i had juz sat back n waited for kkh to do something abt my cervix. i also read that someone had said dr chan was expensive n impatient but i dont find her to b so. infact she spent alot of time explaining to her patient which was why the waiting time at her clinic is horribly long. she initially wanted to do 2 stitches on my cervix, however upon examination, she said i literally had 0 cervix left on the outside as the leep cone had taken away a large part of my cervix. she said she could only at most perform one stitch n will need to pull as much cervix as she can fr the inside to get the stitch up as high as possible. if u talk to dr chan abt her experiences with cervical incompetency, she will definitely share with u her most memorable rescued patient, her dance teacher's wife who went to c her with the baby's leg sticking out at the vaginal. she said she put the patient on trendelenburg n used a balloon to push the sac with the leg back into the uterus, stitch it up with a cerclage thereafter. the baby is 9 yrs old today. she also told me among her patients, only one of them had a failed cerclage, she had to remove the stitch at 16 wks as the patient developed infection n had gone into spontaneous labour.... which was y she kept reminding me abt infection risk.

i developed uti 2 weeks after the cerclage n started bleeding. as it was a sunday, she asked me to go to a&e at mt e to get admitted straightaway. she examined me at my ward on the same day n gave me antibiotics to control the uti.

so in all, i am quite lucky as appropraire interventions were taken n had helped me so far. im thankful as well as worried. day by day, i only wish my baby keeps cooking inside me, hopefully till full term. currently, dr chan is optimistic that i haf a good chance to hold till full term. im praying n hoping it does so.

this is a long post, but i juz wanted to let u know, thr is still hope n we r not alone with cervical problem. timing, doctor, luck all plays an impt role in giving us a chance of a rainbow baby. i read u r 37, im also going 36 this yr. not much younger than u.... i haf a child born before i had my leep cone. it was a normal n completely uneventful pregnancy. after the leep cone, i got pregnant twice last yr n lost both. my current baby is my 4th try at another child. keep holding on, i wished u haf a successful cerclage baby in future as well... it will come. my current pregnancy with cerclage wasnt smooth sailing at all, we each haf our stories. dont give up hope!

Hi Karmaplaysitall, thank you for your sharing and insights. I don't have a living child and I've never done LEEP before so I don't know why my cervix is so weak and short naturally. :( A good thing that you didn't wait for KKH to get back to you. I think I am like that one patient whose cerclage failed under Dr Chan – I was told that I had an infection and had a spontaneous abortion plus blood poisoning.
How did Dr Chan verify that you had a UTI? Just by seeing that you're bleeding or with a urine culture test? Cos the bleeding can be from the cerclage too right? I regret not being given augmentin BEFORE the cerclage. It could have helped cos I'm prone to infections and the worst thing is I can't really tell when I have UTI as I'll just pee a lot (no pain, just a need to pee a lot in an hour) and this is such a common pregnancy symptom too. Thank you.

Hi Karmaplaysitall, thank you for your sharing and insights. I don't have a living child and I've never done LEEP before so I don't know why my cervix is so weak and short naturally. :( A good thing that you didn't wait for KKH to get back to you. I think I am like that one patient whose cerclage failed under Dr Chan – I was told that I had an infection and had a spontaneous abortion plus blood poisoning.
How did Dr Chan verify that you had a UTI? Just by seeing that you're bleeding or with a urine culture test? Cos the bleeding can be from the cerclage too right? I regret not being given augmentin BEFORE the cerclage. It could have helped cos I'm prone to infections and the worst thing is I can't really tell when I have UTI as I'll just pee a lot (no pain, just a need to pee a lot in an hour) and this is such a common pregnancy symptom too. Thank you.

when i started bleeding 2 wks post cerclage, my first suspicion was if my cerclage was tearing. i gave dr chan n emergency call n she came to see me at the hosp straightaway. she scanned me at my ward n was sure the bleeding was not from the cerclage as it was completely intact. she noticed a low placenta n suspected it could be that. next, she ordered for urine to b taken n it came back as uti. vagina swap for infection was also done. antibiotic was administered straightaway n urine culture performed daily. i was discharge 5 days later when the bleeding stopped completely.

when i started bleeding 2 wks post cerclage, my first suspicion was if my cerclage was tearing. i gave dr chan n emergency call n she came to see me at the hosp straightaway. she scanned me at my ward n was sure the bleeding was not from the cerclage as it was completely intact. she noticed a low placenta n suspected it could be that. next, she ordered for urine to b taken n it came back as uti. vagina swap for infection was also done. antibiotic was administered straightaway n urine culture performed daily. i was discharge 5 days later when the bleeding stopped completely.

Hi karmaplaysitall, thks for sharing. I wished I had been given vaginal swaps before I lost my baby. Did dr Chan tell you what the swaps were testing for? My urine test came back ok for uti so I am thinking I might have other bacteria in me.

I am very sorry for your loss and can truly understand how u feel. Take as much time as possible to heal and don't give up. I am still looking around a good gynae to take care of me when I pregnant but I don't think I would go private cos of the high cost but then I still have not decided yet. Jia you OK, not many ladies will understand what is incompetent cervix so we must be there for each other as much as possible

I am very sorry for your loss and can truly understand how u feel. Take as much time as possible to heal and don't give up. I am still looking around a good gynae to take care of me when I pregnant but I don't think I would go private cos of the high cost but then I still have not decided yet. Jia you OK, not many ladies will understand what is incompetent cervix so we must be there for each other as much as possible

Hi dollylittlegal, thanks for your msg. Do you mind keeping in touch w me so I can find out if you find a doc in spore who's experienced with our condition? Most high risk docs are gd with ivf or pregnancies after 40. Once I recover I will visit a couple to sound them out. I am also worried that private is ex for our case (I also spent a lot on cerclage and hospitalization) but my first pregnancy was w kkh n I didn't hv a gd experience cos it's hard to locate the gynae in emergency unlike private when you can use emergency hotline n the gynae will call back. Do you mind me asking how old are you (I am 37) and did you not try again these two years cos you were still looking for the right doc? Sorry if I sound offensive. Thks.

Back