Anyone doing IVF in 2020?

Hi everyone, I'm starting my IVF journey next month. Can I ask which phase of the IVF cycle was the worst? Eg stimms, post retrieval, or post transfer? Reason for asking is I'm not sure if I'm able to take any HL so I'm trying to plan my leave so I can be resting on e "most difficult" days.

Stimms - early stimms usually ok but it can get pretty bloated towards the later part of stimms esp if you have lots of follicles

Post retrieval - also depends on how many follicles you have. Can risk getting OHSS if there is a lot. (I personally fainted right after ER and has bleeds for 3 days.)

Post transfer - usually they give you HL, how many days is dependent on doctors/hospital but usually this is the easiest period on the body, most difficult period to the heart and mind.

Hi everyone, I'm starting my IVF journey next month. Can I ask which phase of the IVF cycle was the worst? Eg stimms, post retrieval, or post transfer? Reason for asking is I'm not sure if I'm able to take any HL so I'm trying to plan my leave so I can be resting on e "most difficult" days.
It differs from person to person, some people don't feel much symptoms during stims or after ER, while some unlucky ones like me get overstimulated and require more medical attention and rest. However, I made sure I take the time to rest and reduce my stress levels after ET for better chances.

For me the more difficult time was post ER cuz I have slight ohss, was feeling very bloated and had trouble walking.

Agree post ET is more taxing on the mind, might be good to work a little or do some stuffs to stop over thinking.

Wow i didnt know they will do d6 blast. The hosp told someone they only do d5 blast. Does anyone know?
Yup correct. Kkh will monitor until d7. It really depends on your embryo growth. I guess mine took abit longer to develop. But to be honest, my egg quality isnt good to begin with. I have retrieved 17 eggs but none are good quality to begin with. Im really wondering does the stimmulation injection play any impact to the egg quality. Does anyone of you know?

Sharing my experience, i had 3 rounds of fresh and 3 rounds of frozen cycles before conceiving this round via 3rd fresh cycle. Two day 3 embryo transferred and 1 made it. Remaining 5 embryo, none made it to blastocyst which i tot was gone case for this fresh cycle. I did not ask anything abt embryo grading as I think it may be a good thing not to know. These gradings are very subjective and depend purely on the embryologist assessment. You never know how the embryo will react when they are in your body. A strong body and mind helps in this. One thing which i never did in my past cycles is that i have intralipid injection after my ER. This helps to lower body immune system to help the body to accept the embryo to implant in our body. Maybe those who has failed cycles can discuss with your gynae and try intralipid.
Hi yuki, thanks for sharing! can i know which clinic and doc are you with?

Yes. I guess so. Because on the day of transfer dr jessie then told me only left with 1. So now on crinson gel support.
I see.. sorry to hear that, hope the other embie will implant!

I only have 4 blastocysts, also worried they might not survive the thaw. We are planning to transfer one at a time.

Yup correct. Kkh will monitor until d7. It really depends on your embryo growth. I guess mine took abit longer to develop. But to be honest, my egg quality isnt good to begin with. I have retrieved 17 eggs but none are good quality to begin with. Im really wondering does the stimmulation injection play any impact to the egg quality. Does anyone of you know?

The type of injection may affect the egg quality. Some researches shows yes, some prove otherwise. End of the day, it probably also depends on how your body reacts to the stimulation drugs.

I think case to case, different people might react to the meds differently.
I was on puregon and managed to yield 21 eggs.
I was also on puregon. Only 7 eggs retrieved. All bad quality. Doc will change to gonal-f for my next fresh cycle. Will also add menopur. Hope i react well.

Might improve. Be optimistic! My first cycle was on puregon, 37 eggs only with 4 d2 embryos. Doctor said the eggs quality were not good. Second cycle did gonal f, 26 eggs and 11 d2 embryos. 5 were blasted. So change in meds may help! :)
I hope so. It's all about trial and error.

Any gals experienced bad cramp and backache like pre menses symptoms after ET?

Currently on my 2WW. I did ET on Tue and having bad cramp since morning, is it normal?

Had 9 eggs retrieved, 7 fertilised but only 2 made it to blastocyst. Transferred 2 as suggested by Dr Jessie.

Currently on my 2WW. I did ET on Tue and having bad cramp since morning, is it normal?

Had 9 eggs retrieved, 7 fertilised but only 2 made it to blastocyst. Transferred 2 as suggested by Dr Jessie.
I usually have mild cramps and bloating after transfer. If it is very bad cramp, rest more. Mild spotting is normal too but if it is like menses, inform the dr.

I think is normal. I transferred 2 blastocyst on 16 Sep and experienced cramps and backache on 21 Sep. Also experience pain on my left groin area It went off the next day though..

I think is normal. I transferred 2 blastocyst on 16 Sep and experienced cramps and backache on 21 Sep. Also experience pain on my left groin area It went off the next day though..

Thanks.

The cramp was pretty intense yesterday, kinda like pre menses feeling, hopefully the cramp will subside.

Hi All,
For improving my egg quality, I had been taking myo-inositol for past two months. Last week my doctor recommended Andriol testocaps 40mg.
Has any sisters here, taken myo-inositol and testocaps together before and during simulations?

Just received my pre conception blood test today and all the numbers are in normal range, but husband with high morphology (99%) with the recent report. Seeing Prof PC Wong now and I am debating whether I should try IUI or IVF for the next cycle. Even though doctor advised me to go for IUI because it is less invasive, but I can't take the mental stress anymore because IUI success rate is so slim. I am going for HSG test this Thursday and booked a slot to see Prof on Friday to decide on the next course of action. Husband prefers to go naturally or IUI first because IVF is ultimately an "artificial" baby making process. I am still debating myself which one to go as I really don't want to disappoint myself anymore (have been TTC for the past one year and no avail). IVF for my age group (28 this year) should have a much higher success rate of close to 50% and I really want to get the BFP result soon. Any advice? IUI or IVF??

Just received my pre conception blood test today and all the numbers are in normal range, but husband with high morphology (99%) with the recent report. Seeing Prof PC Wong now and I am debating whether I should try IUI or IVF for the next cycle. Even though doctor advised me to go for IUI because it is less invasive, but I can't take the mental stress anymore because IUI success rate is so slim. I am going for HSG test this Thursday and booked a slot to see Prof on Friday to decide on the next course of action. Husband prefers to go naturally or IUI first because IVF is ultimately an "artificial" baby making process. I am still debating myself which one to go as I really don't want to disappoint myself anymore (have been TTC for the past one year and no avail). IVF for my age group (28 this year) should have a much higher success rate of close to 50% and I really want to get the BFP result soon. Any advice? IUI or IVF??
If ur hubby not in good condition suggest don’t waste time for IUI.

My take on IUI is always the same. It is an utter waste of money, time and effort that could be better channel into IVF which has much higher chance. If you ask me, i will always say no to IUI to save your disappointments and tears.

IUI don't seems any closer to being "natural" too. If it's SO-IUI, you have to rely on medications to grow follicles and ultimately do the transfer procedure after washing the semen in lab (this process is not "natural" too). Also, even if it's "artificial" baby process called by your husband, you still have to be the 1 carrying the baby. So IVf is nothing more or less artificial than IUI.

I used to have the concern as your husband about ivf is artificial but ultimately changed my perspective to just looking ivf as utilising science technology to pass the first step hurdle of being pregnant in 21st century. Ultimately you still have to carry the baby for 9 months. Afterall, when human is sick and required surgery, we use med technology to have surgery, nothing is all natural in 21st century anymore.

Last edited:
When you say morphology 99% do you mean 99% normal or 99% abnormal? If it's the latter, then would be better to go straight to ivf.
But just to manage your expectations, success rates usually don't mean anything to individual's chances. There are people with loads of issues but succeed on first try, but also those who appear normal on tests but fail repeatedly. So do prepare for an emotional roller coaster, but hoping for the best for you!

When you say morphology 99% do you mean 99% normal or 99% abnormal? If it's the latter, then would be better to go straight to ivf.
But just to manage your expectations, success rates usually don't mean anything to individual's chances. There are people with loads of issues but succeed on first try, but also those who appear normal on tests but fail repeatedly. So do prepare for an emotional roller coaster, but hoping for the best for you!
sorry my typo, it is 99% abnormal morphology. The fear I have over IVF is that "what if i fail?" IVF is already considered the most advanced technology and if I still can't get pregnant after trying the best, I am afraid I will emotionally break down. This is my mental hinderance, even though i know too much worry is also useless at this stage. I am not afraid of any physical pain that I have to go through if I will take IVF, I am just tired of the rounds of disappointment and failures...

If it is not Covid 19, I will definitely want to go travelling to relax my mind and body before commencing on any ART. But hell knows when the virus thing will end and we can go back to normal life...

My take on IUI is always the same. It is an utter waste of money, time and effort that could be better channel into IVF which has much higher chance. If you ask me, i will always say no to IUI to save your disappointments and tears.

IUI don't seems any closer to being "natural" too. If it's SO-IUI, you have to rely on medications to grow follicles and ultimately do the transfer procedure after washing the semen in lab (this process is not "natural" too). Also, even if it's "artificial" baby process called by your husband, you still have to be the 1 carrying the baby. So IVf is nothing more or less artificial than IUI.

I used to have the concern as your husband about ivf is artificial but ultimately changed my perspective to just looking ivf as utilising science technology to pass the first step hurdle of being pregnant in 21st century. Ultimately you still have to carry the baby for 9 months. Afterall, when human is sick and required surgery, we use med technology to have surgery, nothing is all natural in 21st century anymore.
Thank you for your opinion! I incline to do IVF to make success faster, but I am still debating with myself if this is indeed necessary at this stage... Will also depend on my HSG result later this week, if the tubes are blocked then no choice have to IVF haha... but life is a bit unfair as male issues also cause females to suffer all these procedures in order to get pregnant...

Thank you for your opinion! I incline to do IVF to make success faster, but I am still debating with myself if this is indeed necessary at this stage... Will also depend on my HSG result later this week, if the tubes are blocked then no choice have to IVF haha... but life is a bit unfair as male issues also cause females to suffer all these procedures in order to get pregnant...

That's what i told my husband. So he's the one doing ivf injections for me and doing all the grocery errand for ivf diet. That's the way he is sharing the "burden".

For my IUI i have high hope of succeeding because there isn't any big problem for both of us (unexplained fertility) and was utterly disappointed when it failed. For subsequent ivf, I manage my expectation and tell myself to assume first ivf will fail and assume will take minimally 2 or more ivf cycles to succeed. And tell myself that as long as I keep trying, 1 fine day i will be pregnant. Just a matter of time. So that brings me thru the cycles.

You should discuss with your husband. If he thinks IVF is artificial baby making process and he prefers natural, then you both should keep trying naturally. IUI is not considered natural too.

That's what i told my husband. So he's the one doing ivf injections for me and doing all the grocery errand for ivf diet. That's the way he is sharing the "burden".

For my IUI i have high hope of succeeding because there isn't any big problem for both of us (unexplained fertility) and was utterly disappointed when it failed. For subsequent ivf, I manage my expectation and tell myself to assume first ivf will fail and assume will take minimally 2 or more ivf cycles to succeed. And tell myself that as long as I keep trying, 1 fine day i will be pregnant. Just a matter of time. So that brings me thru the cycles.
Yes i agree on managing expectation. When my iui failed, i was soooo disappointed and kept crying for days cos my expectation and hope were high. For my ivf, i was hoping too but dropped my expectation. What really helped with my emotion was when doc told us be prepared there might be nothing to transfer on D5 after ER cos the embryos were growing slowly. She suggested grow another 2 more days. So when she called me on D7, i was prepared and surprisingly calm. Told myself to try again and take supplements. And consoled myself that if i didnt take up ivf, i will be wasting 7 months (7 eggs were retrieved) of trying naturally compared to 1 month of ivf.

IUI will also give you a glimpse of the procedures, albeit much harsher, of IVF. So if you want to know what is oncoming for you for IVF or if hour husband really prefers, IUI is less of a physical load on the body to try and to prep for IVF. Age has nothing to do with success sometimes. Some people succeed on their first, some on their seventh regardless of age. My husband also had abnormal morphology to which doctor feels that it is not of great concern. He did improve in his morphology over the years with supplements and changes to lifestyle. Then again, I did 2 iuis and 3 ivf transfers over a period of 3 years to succeed, if it helps give you a gauge

Yes i agree on managing expectation. When my iui failed, i was soooo disappointed and kept crying for days cos my expectation and hope were high. For my ivf, i was hoping too but dropped my expectation. What really helped with my emotion was when doc told us be prepared there might be nothing to transfer on D5 after ER cos the embryos were growing slowly. She suggested grow another 2 more days. So when she called me on D7, i was prepared and surprisingly calm. Told myself to try again and take supplements. And consoled myself that if i didnt take up ivf, i will be wasting 7 months (7 eggs were retrieved) of trying naturally compared to 1 month of ivf.

Exactly. I just read in the IUI thread that doctor in kkh insist a patient to try iui again. It is okay if patient wants to do iui. However, if it isn't, I feel that doctors who insist patients to do iui never put themselves in patient shoes. They dont know how much tears we cried and disappointments we felt when iui fail. And Tbh, thinking back now now, with only 10% of success for iui, it infuriates me that my doctor insist on IUI. Easy for these doc to recommend iui when it isn't their money and they earn a lot

Ivf success rate is abt 40% (below 35) and IUI is even lower. I tried 2 IUIs and 1 cycle of ivf (3 transfers) over 2.5 years and failed. I have no issue, only husband has sperm quality issue. Similar like your case.

Just done with 2nd cycle. Now I am 35 years old and regreted not doing ivf earlier! Dr say chances for first cycle is lower than 40% for ivf because mostly ivf is like trial and error. They don't know how your body will react to the diff injection / dosage so they will need to trial and error and most people will succeed ivf after a few rounds. As such, my advice is don't waste time in IUI and go straight to IVF.

Also if you are planning to go government hospital, the waiting time is killing. Need to wait for 2 mths to see doctor, another 2 months to start ivf/iui cycle, if is ivf FET then need to wait another 2 mths for the first transfer.

Last edited:
sorry my typo, it is 99% abnormal morphology. The fear I have over IVF is that "what if i fail?" IVF is already considered the most advanced technology and if I still can't get pregnant after trying the best, I am afraid I will emotionally break down. This is my mental hinderance, even though i know too much worry is also useless at this stage. I am not afraid of any physical pain that I have to go through if I will take IVF, I am just tired of the rounds of disappointment and failures...

If it is not Covid 19, I will definitely want to go travelling to relax my mind and body before commencing on any ART. But hell knows when the virus thing will end and we can go back to normal life...
My husband had less than 1% morphology, and very low sperm count and motility too, so our dr sent us straight to IVF. IUI really does not help if it's a male factor issue.

So the next question is, why do you want to try IVF? Is IVF your best chance of conceiving? If it is, then why are you afraid of proceeding if that is your best chance? If it is not, then perhaps your dr can advise your most suitable alternatives.

Honestly, after having been through IVF, it really isn't as scary or tormenting as it seem to people who have not tried it. Perhaps it's your will once you embark on this journey, the will to make every attempt work, that gives you all the courage and strength. I tried for 3.5 years, been through the darkest days of my life. But IVF was my hope. The only thing was the financial strain though.

But I must add, you and your husband got to be on a team on this. You need each other's unwavering support to best survive this through! So do have a good talk with him. :)

Hi there, i had the same thoughts as you. My last resort is IVF hence i tried natural for 1.5yrs. I also initially feel it's not natural and if i try IVF (the best solution) and if it's fail, means im doomed, ive used up all my "chances" in a sense.
However, i finally pluck my courage and embark on IVF now, Day 2 now and i am thinking i should have tried this early this year instead of waited till now.

I think whether to try ivf now also depends yr age. Husband morphology can be improve by vitamins, supplements, and acupunture. but womens eggs is deteroriating year by year.
Can i know how old you are?

Hi there, i had the same thoughts as you. My last resort is IVF hence i tried natural for 1.5yrs. I also initially feel it's not natural and if i try IVF (the best solution) and if it's fail, means im doomed, ive used up all my "chances" in a sense.
However, i finally pluck my courage and embark on IVF now, Day 2 now and i am thinking i should have tried this early this year instead of waited till now.

I think whether to try ivf now also depends yr age. Husband morphology can be improve by vitamins, supplements, and acupunture. but womens eggs is deteroriating year by year.
Can i know how old you are?
I am 28 this year and have been active trying for one year. I am still deciding which method to go with as I am afraid of the failure even after trying for IVF. Can you share what is the timeline of your IVF? I am reading up on long/short protocol and calculating if I am in time to start the jab for this cycle if i commit to IVF.

I am 28 this year and have been active trying for one year. I am still deciding which method to go with as I am afraid of the failure even after trying for IVF. Can you share what is the timeline of your IVF? I am reading up on long/short protocol and calculating if I am in time to start the jab for this cycle if i commit to IVF.

hi hi 28 yrs old still quite young I feel, if you have no issue but only need to improves husband’s then you may want to try natural or iui as suggested by doctor.
I just started ivf so I can’t give you the full picture yet... but I’m way older than you. The ivf starts when your menses comes. You will need togo down have scans and get jab medicine. However you need to be on the ivf schedule meaning you need to let the doc know you wish to do ivf they will tell u the earlier slot.

Hi all anyone can advise what is the next step after egg retrieval as this is my first doing ivf... managed to retrieve one oocytes (I have low egg reserve) .. thank you

I’m on my day 3 stim now and feeling ok so far. I noted I’m just give Gonal f for now and scan is one week later. I thought the scan will be every 2-3 days. Just wondering why so different with others experiences

Hi all anyone can advise what is the next step after egg retrieval as this is my first doing ivf... managed to retrieve one oocytes (I have low egg reserve) .. thank you

Did doctor give you medication to prepare you for the transfer? Or you are doing frozen transfer?

Hihi, can I ask if any ladies tried to do ovulation test the cycle after ur ER? We are going to do FET likely next month so thought of trying natural for this month but its already day 16 and I have yet to see a smiley face. Not sure if the hormone jabs will mess up our ovulation cycle?

I’m on my day 3 stim now and feeling ok so far. I noted I’m just give Gonal f for now and scan is one week later. I thought the scan will be every 2-3 days. Just wondering why so different with others experiences
I was first given orgalutran to stop ovulation for 5 days then add in puregon. So from D5 to D14, is puregon and orgalutran. The 2nd scan was 10 days later. And subsequent scan depends on how is the response to the stimm. Think the plan is diff for every patient.

Last edited:
I was first given orgalutran to stop ovulation for 5 days then add in puregon. So from D5 to D14, is puregon and orgalutran. The 2nd scan was 10 days later. And subsequent scan depends on how is the response to the stimm. Think the plan is diff for every patient.
Mine is very similar to urs!

Back