Any Singaporean MTBs/Mums living overseas???

Hiya everyone, i hv been here for almost 5 years now and am pregnant wt triplets. Missed Singapore v much as cant go back now cos of later stage in pregnancy. Wld love to share experiences and makes fren. Hope to hear from you.

Hi Rozi,

How are you? Wow Triplets...3 at one go. U are very blessed indeed. So when are u due? I am due on Dec 8...

I miss Singapore and its food very much too...cant seem to find alot of the confinement stuff here. I am not going back cos of the cost of airfare and of course i am not sure if my body can take the long travelling time. My legs are constantly swelling up so i am reluctant to go back.

Hello Kayla, yes we are blessed to hv 3 in one go. This is my third pregnancy. Two each fr previous marriages between me n hubby now. I m due on 1st Dec but bcos of mutiples cld be next month, 28th weeks now. We are counting the days and very excited though dont know what to expect wt triplets.

My two boys coming down in Dec so hopefully they can help out abit. Hubby got only two weeks paternity leave. My parents not able to come unfortunately. Yup i dont suppose we can find much abt confinement stuff here so perhaps you can ask yr mum to bring some over.

I am so craving for spicy foods n try to do it myself but never the same as mum's cooking. Its driving me crazy. Is this your first pregnancy?

Hi Rozi,

Then u are even more blessed dear! U are going to have 5 kids in total...I want to have a big family but since this is my first pregnancy, i have a long way to expanding my family. I am now at 27 weeks. I am not counting down the days as we have not bought ANYTHING for the baby cos we have no time to go shopping. I am so tired after work and all the shopping centres are closed by the time i go home.

Are u working? I presume u must have been advised to take bed rest for the rest of your pregnancy...And which part of Britain do u live at? Cos i found this Malay post-natal massage service online so if u need the contacts, i can pass u the lady's contact number.

Think i am surviving cos my mum's here...she brought along all the blachan and lemon grass from singapore so that she can make all my fav dishes...I eat sambal stuff everyday despite having heartburn...hehehehe...the only confinement stuff she brought was the stomach binder and lots of tips from our relatives.

Btw, have u found out the gender of your babies? I am having a gal...

Dont worry. U'll be alright once u settle into a routine. Is it possible to engage a nanny to help you ard? I know its not like in singapore where u can hire a maid etc...

Hiya

It's been a long time.

Kayla I've been meaning to post but never found the time to do so. My baby arrived on 7th August just a day before my EDD.
happy.gif
We have a boy. I managed to have the all natural labour that I wanted with no gas and no drugs for pain relief. It was truly an experience I won't forget. Still finding it hard to believe I did it without any pain relief. I think the hardest part was the pushing it seem to take forever for the baby to come out and I was totally exhausted after that.

How are you getting on? Is your mum still with you? My mum will be leaving in a month's time.
sad.gif
I remember when we last posted you were about to have your 20 week scan. How did it go? Do you know what you're having?

Hi Rozi
kao_welcome.gif

I'm guessing that when you say 'you've been here for 5 years' you mean the UK since most of us are based in the UK with the exception of Chrisl who is in norway.
happy.gif

Wow triplets! You certainly going to have your hands full. I already find it tiring coping with just one.
happy.gif
But one good thing at least you are an experienced mum, not like me still so blur about some things. How old are your boys?

Hi again Kayla, since our boys and girls now are grown up and do not live wt us, we do miss having little one running around. We hv not prepare anything yet apart fr babies bed and abit of clothing. Cant really go shopping so most of the stuffs bought online.

I m not working now cos hv to rest alot at home. I m bored sometimes but hubby kept saying its only weeks to go. We have to cut short our holiday in France last week cos i m having contraction and abit of bleeding. Hospitalised for two days in FRance and a day in UK. Being told off by doctors in France for travelling in this stage. UK doctor much more lenient. Blamed it on my husband for the long drive. Told him its not right.

Thanks for your recommendation for the massage lady but i will hv c-section for the birth so can't really do much massages. Btw i m lived in Essex, Halstead.

Wow you r lucky to hv yr mum here. Since early pregnancy till now i cant stop myself eating sambal foods, anything but must be spicy. Luckily my hubby dont really mind cos he likes it as well. I think i m turning him into asian's spicy food lover.

We went for scan and found out we hv two girls but one not able to see properly so hopefully its a boy at least for hubby. I hv two grown up sons and him two girls. Yes its not easy to find helper here unlike Singapore but we try to set a routine once the babies born and see how it goes.

Hello Mrs N,

Yes i m based in UK and yes we are very excited for the triplets to arrive. It can be abit bored at home but hubby's says make use of the time before it get busy ;-) I always enjoyed being a mother though not sure how to expect wt three. My boys are 18 and 22, yup they r big boys. Didnt expect to get pregnant again but it juz happen. We r blessed. How many children hv u and r u fr Sing?

Hi Mrs N,

No worries about not posting! I am very happy that both you and your baby are healthy. Wow i really admire your tolerance of pain. How did u manage not to have any pain relief? I wish i could be like you. Do share your birthing and motherhood experience story in detail when u have the time
happy.gif
I would love to hear it...So what are u going to name your son? And are u breast-feeding your boy?

My mum's fine and cooking everyday...i made her a list of things that i wanted to eat and pasted it on the fridge so that she gets 'inspired' by it....hehehehe...think 90% of my cravings have been satisfied by the food that she cooks and the sourplums and titbits that she brought from Singapore. Also i found a Japanese shop near my workplace that sells alot of the stuff that we used to use in Singapore like POCKY, Prawn crackers, cup noodles...so far so good. I have put some weight ard my belly and thighs and have grown from Size 8 to Size 14.

Sad to say my mum has to leave at the end of Jan...thats when i will need her the most cos the Immigration staff said that she cant extend her stay while being in the UK. She has to leave UK and come back after a window period.

My 20th week scan went on well.We had lots of time giggling and when the sonographer said that 'there is nothing extra in between the legs', I was very surprised cos my instincts told me that i was going to have a girl.

Just recently, I had alot of problems...Passed alot of blood in the urine for 2 weeks and the midwife diagnosed me with urine infection without examining me!!! Was on anti-biotics for a week. Felt so guilty for taking medication during pregnancy.

Hi Rozi,

Its nice to have babies even if grown-up kids at home. I am sure your newborns will add to your kids' life experiences. My frens who have very much younger siblings are more reponsible and caring.

I am also intending to travel to France at the end of this month. I will 29-30 weeks then. Do you think its safe to travel by Train? Did you get a letter from your Midwife before you travelled?

Hi Kayla, about yr trip i wld advised that you consult your doctor about it. I personally do not think its a good idea esp wt train or car but again wise to ask.

No i did not ask letter fr my midwife or doctor because we thought its ok. Not a right thing to do though. Maybe also i m having triplets makes it more risky.

Kayla what a pity your mum has to go back right after you've had your baby. How long has she got to go before she can come back to the UK again?

We have named our baby Dominic. I guess if you want to do without pain relief you need to prepare yourself mentally for it. I think also sitting often on the birthing ball helped move the baby in the right position for birth. The MW at antenatal said it would so I guess there is some truth to it.
happy.gif
In fact I got through my entire first stage of labour by just sitting and rocking on the ball. In the delivery suite I also used the ball for support as I chose kneeling as my birthing position. I think I was on my knees for over an hour before the MW suggested I change position and asked me try lying on the bed. Once on the bed I didn't want to get off. I found the pushing most difficult and exhausting. I was at it for over an hour and the most painful part was when the baby's head was stuck between my legs and I had to wait for another contraction before I could push again. Waiting for that contraction seemed an eternity although it was only a few minutes. Had to have a few stitches in the end due to secondary tearing of the perineum, nothing serious!
happy.gif

Dominic is on mixed feeding (bottle fed with FM and EBM). Has been on it since he was 3 days old. My CMW advised us to bottlefeed him as a last resort as he wasn't feeding properly and was losing weight. He had lost 10% of his birthweight by the time he was 3 days old. He was born without any instinct for feeding. No matter what the MWs at hospital did to coax him to breastfeed he just wouldn't preferring to sleep most of the time. So in the end she said we had to force him to feed from the bottle as he needed to put on calories and take in fluid to help with his jaundice if we didn't do that he was going to end up in hospital. Never thought I would be feeding my baby FM so early in his life and was really feeling guilty about it. However I've told mywelf to stop feeling guilty about it as he is putting on weight and is a happy and healthy baby. I sometimes latch him on but he seems to get a little frustrated with the breast. Guess milk flow is slower than the bottle.
biggrin.gif
My MW said that tbf is an ideal and not for everybody. As each baby and mother is unique and we just have to adapt our 'ideas' as we go along on our journey.

Hi Rozi Dominic is my first and I'm from Sg.
happy.gif
It's good to have grown up kids who are able to help with the little ones. So not long more for you to go too?

Hey did you girls know that blachan has been banned from the EU? This means we can't buy them from the Asian stores! I've made my last lot of sambal blachan and it's almost finished. So sad.
sad.gif

Hello Mrs N, congratulations on yr baby boy.

I remembered my two boys totally refused breast feeding and hv to bottlefeed throughout. They grown quite healthy so i m not too worry about it.

Yup it will not be long most probably in late October when the babies born n we will hv our hands full.

I didnt know that blacan been banned now, much to my husband's delight, a friend give a full lotz which can last for months. Husband dont really like the smell of it so i hv to be careful he dont find out in my cooking :)

Are u looking after yr baby on yr own? What about confinement?

Hi Ladies,

Sorry have been MIA...On monday, i had really severe backpain that i couldnt even get outta bed. My mum kept complaining that i am not exercising enough.

Mrs N,

Is it too late for me to use the birthing ball cos i have not been exercising at all...except for the walking that i do during the weekends while shopping...hehehee...and where can i get it? I would like to use it cos nowadays, i just come home from work and feel so drained of all my energy that i just eat, watch TV and go to sleep. Sitting on the Birthing ball would be something interesting to do while watching TV.

Congrats on the arrival of Dominic!!!And please dont feel bad about not BFing him. I would rather my child to put on weight and be healthy than worry about her not having breast milk. In fact, you have to substitute breast milk with FM sometime soon as your supplies always fluctate. My cousin had soo much BM but her baby refused to drink it so in the end she had to donate milk weekly to her hospital.So i agree wholeheartedly with what your MW said.

Hi Rozi,

Is yours going to be a planned C-section? If thats the case, when will that be? Just curious to know if you are going to choose a date for that....

Talking abt Blachan...mine has run out cos i have been eating it with everything!!! My mum intends to ask my auntie to send it by Parcel...But my mum was saying that the dogs at Heathrow were sniffing closely the part of her luggage where the blachan was kept...heheheheh

Hi Kayla,

Glad you ok. Yes mine will definitely be c-section. My gynae said most probably in late Oct. Anyway went for checkup today and was told babies growing well. Said if i can keep it up to 37th weeks will be brilliant. I wish to be induce earlier but i doubt they will allow it. Also bcos i hv back pain n sleepless nite. Hv to rest in bed most of the time. Good thing is hubby's doing most of housework now esp at weekend n i m being spoiled. Not always you get treatment like this hehe.

Abt d blacan i m sure you can still find it in some chinese supermarket. Good luck!

Hi Rozi,

Its wonderful news that the triplets are growing well...I totally understand the backpain that you are growing. I cant tolerate my backpains carrying just one baby. Since they are going to come out sooner than your due date in December, i guess you must be anxiously preparing for their arrival.

Am glad that your husband is helping you with the housework. that is very sweet of him
happy.gif
My mum does everything but i do the cleaning during the weekends or else I will never get any exercise done. I have put on 13 kg over the past 4 months and now i am getting worried about how am i going to control my food intake and lose the pregnancy weight later on.

I am having sleepless nights too...My baby wakes up right before my alarm rings and starts kicking me...think its to wake me up. After that, i cant go back to sleep. I hope to go on Maternity Leave soon but rather come to work than wait for my delivery at home. As i know, it will start to get boring after a few days...

Have you thought of names for the gals?

Hi Mrs N,

How are you and Dominic?

Hi Kayla,

Hope you are doing fine. I m getting heavier day by day. Need help abit to get up or walk around though i still eat well. I need advice fr my gynae abt it but everytime i went there he said i looked well. I supposed nothing they can do abt it.

Its really bored at home esp when you not able to drive or do heavy house chores. I m not use to sitting around like this. Hubby n mother in law watch over me like a hawk. Anyway its 5th more weeks to go so i m holding on to it.

Last few days i slept quite well though babies still kicking and stretching alot. Guess it started to get abit crowded in there.

We choose afew names for the girls n ended up wt Zarith Sofia and Zafira as for the third we still dont know the gender yet.

Will keep you posted.

Mrs Ng,

Hi after a long while... Congrats on the arrival of Dominic! Having him on FM may be a blessing in disguise. Don't fret about that. Mine was fully BF and now at 16 months is still having multiple night awakenings, looking for his human pacifier. Enjoy motherhood! It's a rewarding journey.

Rozi,

Hello. It must be very exciting expecting triplets! Rest well for the last few weeks!

Hiya girls sorry have been busy lately so not much time to reply.

Hi Angela have you and family settled down to life in London? Hee! Hee! Yah although Dominic is on mixed feeding I still have to wake up in the night to pump.
happy.gif
Hubby usually does the nappy change and the feeding but he's got a cold at the moment so I'm doing everything. Multi-tasking such is the joy of motherhood eh?
wink.gif

Rozi my hubby also can't stand the smell of blachan. He will always 'air' out the house whenever I bakar the blachan. So I'm sure he'll be pleased to hear that it has been banned.

After my parents leave I'll be looking after Dominic on my own. I didn't do any confinement. Haven't a clue about it.
happy.gif
Will your sons be around to help you out for long?

Kayla Dominic and I are fine. Just brought him to the Health Visitor for his forthnightly weigh in and he is now 4.6 kg. He was about 3 kg when he was born 7 weeks ago. He's certainly getting heavier will be struggling to carry him soon.

I'm happy with Dominic's feeding regime now. About 80% of his feeds are EBM. Just have to pump diligently every 3/4 hours.
happy.gif
I don't feel so guilty now as I first did 7 weeks ago. When I was in hospital the MWs were practically forcing me to BF him even though my milk supply hadn't kicked in. It was terribly stressful because they wouldn't discharge me until they knew what my plans were for his feeding. They only discharge me into the care of my community MW when we assured them that we had prepared ourselves for the worse i.e. having a breast pump and formula milk stocked up at home. Thank goodness my hubby had the presence of mind to buy some FM. Ha! Ha! When he first bought it I asked him why did he bought it as we won't be needing it. I guess my hubby drew it from his SIL's experience. She couldn't BF her four kids no matter how much she tried and she's a qualified MW. So it's always good to be prepared.
happy.gif

I think you can use the birthing ball anytime. I started using it after my antenatal class when I was 32 weeks plus. I often sat on it while watching tv as it was more comfortable to sit on than the sofa (and easier to get off too).
happy.gif

We got the ball off this website (I think): http://www.furriballs.com/

Hi Ladies,

Hope that you all are doing well... I just came back from Paris yesterday. Had a fantastic time but had alot of walking to do... Amazingly, i was able to walk quite a distance for the past 4 days. So to keep up with that, i have decided to stop driving and do lots of walking. My mum advised that walking will increase the chances of having a normal delivery...Hopefully my new regime with help me later on...

We are going to start refurbishing our rooms and will have to sleep in the living room for the next 4-6 weeks...Sigh...My concern is the amount of dust and crap thats going to be in the house. Hope that it doesnt affect the baby...

Plus, i have noticed White specks ard my belly button...wonder if thats the first sign of stretch marks...Yeeeeeks! Mrs N & Rozi, hope that you have not developed any...

Mrs N,

Awwwwwwww....your little dominic is growing well. Am so happy to hear that. So how was your confinment period? Have you started to bind your tummy? Think i will buy FM just in case i dont produce any BM...I am not very particular about using BM or FM...I will just ''go with the flow''. But i am quite worried that i mite produce BM as i did not eat alot of bean sprouts and other vegetables as told by my mother. I did read up somewhere in the Dec 2008 forum that even after childbirth, if u eat fenugreek seeds, they help you to produce more BM...

Rozi,

Hope that you are well and healthy...Looking forward to reading your birth story
happy.gif

Hi Angela, yes we are excited at the same time dont know what to expect once they are born. Getting heavier to move around now.

Hi Mrs N, my eldest son will be wt us for about 2 months but the youngest will be here for only two weeks bcos still in college. So i hope by then me n hubby able to set a routine for the babies.

Hi Kayla, glad to hear you up and about. I m doing well though getting difficult to move or sleep. Yes its true walking and stay active will make it easier for birth. I hv easy labour with my two boys. I m 31 weeks now so can be anytime for d babies to pop out. I dont hv stretch marks yet only one line across n that makes me worried. We went for scan n doc appointment last tuesday hoping to hear about the birth plan. Unfortunately doc didnt want to discuss at this moment bcos babies are growing fine and they want to keep it till about 36 weeks. Gosh...i m already cant keep up with it. Sleeping is the main problem and i dread going to bed every nite.

We are excited though abit worried abt how to cope. Not too long now, i hv packed mine n babies hospital bags. So i will keep u gals update and do take care.

Hi Mikko,

I think is nearner to my work place ( GIlroy). Monterey is a v nice place. Been there once 2 yrs back and visit the big sea world ( forgot the name).

How long have you been here? and r u SAHM? and how many kids you have?

I am working in Gilroy and temporarily my parents are helping me on my boy who is 6.5 months old.

Still learning how to care for my first boy.

He is suppose to have solids soon. Yet to try any puree for him.

hi div

I am still in sg.

hum.. you do not accept PM. Or do you have any email that I can contact you ?

I got lots of question to ask you regarding monterey

Hi Mikiko ,

Welcome.

Sorry I do not know how to accept PM.

When will you be coming over ? R u relocating with all your family members? OR work wise?

Some of my colleagues live in Monterey. IS near coast. so is cool and nice.

Now, US economy is bad.

u can email me at [email protected]

hi hi,

i am a sporean mummy living in LA, California. Would like to know fellow singaporean mummies living in the states or overseas.

Mrs N, thanks for ur tip to this forum!

Happy holidays everyone!

Bling

Hi Bling,

I am in San Jose, CA. Used to live in LA and moved to San jose, CA.

How many kids you have? working ?

I hae a baby of 9.5months.

Hi ladies haven't been on this thread for the longest time! Thanks Angela for reminding me.
happy.gif
Hmmm wonder how's Kayla doing?

Hi fufu
kao_welcome.gif

Hi Fufu,

Oxford is not too far from my place. I am in Ealing, West London.

Nice to meet you here!

Mrs N,

Wow! You are so efficient! So soon I find you here! Ha ha.

Hi Angela and Mrs Ng!

Nice to see fellow Sporeans overseas (though I'm still in SG now..haha!)

Angela, how is it at Ealing? I don't have a single idea how things are like UK...is grocery shopping for Asian food difficult?

I have a 14.5mth old daughter now. By the time we move to Oxford she would be almost 2 years old...wonder if adjusting for us would be difficult...

Any advice is greatly welcomed and appreciated!!

Hi Fufu,

We are in Ealing, primarily for my daughter whose school is here. Hey, I have a 21 month old boy too!

So you will be here in Aug? Grocery shopping has been alright for me. Are you very fussy about getting Asian food? Otherwise, should not be a problem. It will be esp easy if you are a pasta, sandwich person. Supermkts here stock Pak Choi and bai cai. Other than that, if you like other leafy greens that we get in Spore, may need to get from Oriental supermkt. We are lucky to live very near a Chinese food wholesaler so Choy Sum, kai lan are within reach.

How long will you be here?

Don't worry. Things will turn out fine.

hi Angela,

my daughter is now turning 15mth...wow..u are managing 2 kids alone now? I'm finding it a challenge to manage between one kid, household chores and time for myself now!

I will probably be there end of the year, maybe Nov or Dec. My hubby is going over first coz his course would start in late Sept.

I'm not too fussy about getting Asian food but would prefer to coz my hubby is more particular...hahaha. Maybe nearer the date we move i can the contact of teh Chinese food wholesaler from you!

Would be there for abt 1 year, depending on whether my hubby wanna further studies. If so, maybe 3-4 years.

Ya things will turn out fine...but always cannot stop the initial worrying!

Is your boy attending childcare/playgroup over there?

Fufu,

Well, most of the time, I am only managing one kid, coz my girl is at school. Actually, it is less stressful for me when she is around coz she really helps out a lot : ) My boy attends playgroup twice a week. One is really play play and the other is much like what we get back home. Lots of playgroups here, so don't worry.

The Chinese wholesaler is Hoo Hing. I will try to get their add from their receipt the next time I visit them. We usually go in the weekends.

BTW, we just had a very authentic Singaporean meal last weekend in Queensway, Central London. It was so good.... Kaisu Restaurant. When you have a craving for local dishes in future, can just go there! Just at Queensway sub station. Yum yum.

But in the meantime, enjoy all the food you can get in Spore!

Hi Mrs N & rest of the mummies,

I am fine thank you...I delivered a baby gal last Nov at 38 weeks. My normal delivery was induced because I had a pregnancy related liver disorder. Wah was in pain for whole 2 days before my water bag broke! What an experience...i thought husbands only fainted in the labour room in movies but my poor hubby passed out when he saw me having the epidural! hahahah...anyway, hope u and your soon are doing well.Take care and keep in touch
happy.gif

Hi Kayla long time no see.
happy.gif
Congrats on your baby girl. How are you coping? Your mum gone back?

Yes I'm going to Singapore Day. Maybe we could all meet up.
happy.gif
Are you on facebook?

Hiya Angela how are things?

can anyone share wif me on the taxation laws in Australia?

if my hb works there but we're not applying for PR there yet, does he pay taxes in Australia or SG? How much taxes in Aus? Any benefits that we get from the Aussie govt if we pay taxes there? Hmm cos wondering if disposable income would be much reduced if taxed in Australia...

Hi Mrs N,

Thanks so much for your wishes
happy.gif
My mum left about 2 months ago and after that it was quite chaotic. But slowly i established a routine with Baby Jessica...so everything is good so far. However, all routines turn upside down when we attend family gatherings with everyone wanting to carry her. She cries alot cos she has not gotten enuf sleep and does not have mood to finish her feed. We go for gatherings twice a week so i get a little stressed then.

Btw, I brought Jess to the Health visitor today and she only weighs 5.8kg at 4months so a little underweight for her age. Think its becos lately she seems to be vomitting alot of her milk after each feed and after burping. Did u experience that with Dominic?

I am not on facebook but pls add me on MSN. My email add is [email protected]

Are u intending to go back to work? I am thinking of working about 3 days a week but only if my mum comes back to visit. But think i have no heart to leave my baby...feel so attached to her.

Kayla I've gone back to work for a few hours each day since the beginning of this year. I bring D along with me.

Who will look after Jessica if you go back to work?

Yes it helps to establish a routine at least it helps to keep life from being too chaotic.
happy.gif
D used to throw up a little after his feeds. But it didn't really affect his weight gain. The only time my HV expressed concern about his weight was when he didn't put on any weight for about 2 months. That was around mid Dec to mid Feb. My HV thought that it could be because D was too active so he told me to start giving him solids to see if that would help. By then he was almost 6 months anyway. He's now ok.

Hi Mrs N,

I am thinking of sponsoring my mother here but thats seems to be a long and difficult process now. I have just sent my own documents to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain. I hope she can stay here on a long term basis. I rather leave J with my mum than with someone else.

J does throw up alot of what she drinks. I always make her wear the bib so that i dont need to change her clothes that often. I heard some parents say that sometimes certain brands of milk formula can affect the digestive ability of the baby's stomach. J is on Apt*mil at the moment. Everyone's commented that its the best.I am waiting to see if she fails to put on weight on her next visit to the HV,then we would consider changing her milk formula.

Kayla yes I heard it mentioned that Aptamil is closest to BM. We only used Aptamil twice (in emergency). D's on Heinz Nurture. But he's mixed fed mainly on BM and supplemented with FM occasionally. Have you been giving J Aptamil from the beginning? Yes if her weight is affected it might be worth a try changing to a brand that agrees with her. You can try those ready made ones. Just buy one and see how.

I remember applying for ILR was such a nightmare. They wanted so many pieces of evidence! Now that your mum has gone back, can't she not return for another 6 months? Or is there a limit that one can only stay in Britain for 6 months per calendar year?

hi mummies,

i've posted in this entry before coz wanted to know how things are like in UK before we go over end of this year...

i hv some qns for you UK mummies....

1. my hubby is going to do his graduate studies, he heard that as a student, he only pays minimal medical fees and that extends to spouses too. Is that true??

i asked this coz we are thinking whether to have a 2nd kid in UK or not. My dd is 16mths old now. If medical fees are going to be minimal and it also includes gynae visits, then that's quite a huge plus.

2. for kids born in UK, do they get UK citizenship too? Just like the system in USA?

3. My biggest concern to have #2 there is not having family support. Hubby will be studying fulltime so cant expect him to help much. i dunno if i can cope alone with a toddler and newborn at the same time. We had #1 in US, without family support, and i really don't wanna go thru dark times again....any of you have been there done that and tink it's possible???

Lately my maternal instincts are roaring and i feel like having a #2...but circumstances like the relocation is putting my plans on hold.

any form of advice will be greaaaaaatly appreciated!!!

and also...

i don't suppose UK has maid system?? do they have any form of affordable domestic help?

the last i heard frm a friend is that domestic help in UK is really for the rich....

Fufu under the NHS medical consultation is free. You only pay for the prescription.

In the UK, you're only referred to gynae/obstetrician if there is a problem with your pregnancy. All pregnancies are attended to by a midwife. For the whole of my pregnancy right up to delivery I never once saw a doctor!

Kids born in the UK to foreign parents do not get automatic UK citizenship.

Aftercare in the UK is quite good. The midwives visit you at your home in the first two weeks after you are discharged from hospital. After that you will be assigned a health visitor who will support you in the care of your child until he/she is 5 years old.

I suppose you can get a maid if you can afford one.
happy.gif
But you can get people to clean your house a few hours in a week. There are cleaning companies who do that sort of thing.

hi Mrs N,

thanks so much for the info!

What does NHS mean? and how about stuff like ultrasound scan and all those blood tests that we hv to do during pregnancy - free as well?

Wow, they have midwives visit you after discharge, that's really good support. And for the health visitor, do they go to your palce too or you ahve to go to them for checkup? Are they like the paed?

So your child is a SG citizen? I just read up, they are not as liberal in giving citizenship as States.

How are you coping with your baby there? Just wanna be realistic if we really do have #2 in UK...

Hi Mrs N,

I have been down with a cold. Thats why i could not post earlier on. Poor J has gotten the bug from me...Sigh...The change in weather is doing me no good.

About my mum staying here...i am really not sure. everything is so vague on the UK border agency's website. All singaporeans are entitled to 6 months stay in the UK but according to the Immigration officer who stamped my mum's passport, she has to make her way back to singapore at about 5 months and 2 weeks time.

Btw, when did u apply and how long did it take for your ILR to be processed? My hubby's family is planning to go on a holiday in July/Aug...Already missed a trip to Egypt cos i had to send my passport for application. The website says within 6 months. Hopefully it doesnt take so long.

Anyway, how's D doing? I am going to start J on solids next week. Dont know what to start her on and how. Mind if you give me some suggestions? how did you go about setting a routine for him?

kayla I sent in my ILR application in Jan 08 and it came back about 4 weeks later. You sent yours already should be back in no time if you give them all the docs they want.

D is doing fine. He was 8 months old on Tuesday. I've started 3 solid meals over a week ago and his milk intake has dropped drastically. Now have oversupply of EBM in the fridge.

I started D with homemade baby rice. Just grinded up some of my thai rice into powder, cooked it in FM and thinned it with BM.

There are a few websites you can read up on about making your own baby food.

http://www.homemade-baby-food-recipes.com/index.html

http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/index.htm

It gave interesting info but a bit 'lehchei' to go on the computer everytime to look it up so I found this book on Amazon which I thought was excellent. Very useful as it comes with meal planners for the different ages. It's written by 2 paediatric dieticians. I use it all the time and adapt recipes accordingly to what I have in my fridge. It's a great book! Hhighly recommended.

Fufu NHS=National Health Service. And under NHS you don't pay for scans and blood tests. However unlike Sg where gynae will scan you at almost every visit, over here it is normal to have only 2 scans for the whole of your pregnancy. Obviously you get more scans if they detect a problem.

ir the first visit my HV came to my home. Subsequently I take my baby to baby clinic for weighing. HVs are nurses. You can read more about what they do on here. For baby's check up or if they are ill you bring them to see your GP.

My son is not a Sg citizen as my hubby is a brit. Didn't apply Sg citizenship as it could be a hassle what with NS, bonds etc etc.
happy.gif

I get by pretty ok. Sometimes a little tiring. I work part time but bring my baby along with me so I don't really have child care problems. Are you going to be a SAHM when you come? You could always look for Mother & Toddler groups around your area. I go to one at a Children's Centre. Good way to meet other mums and babes.
happy.gif

Just one thing. BBC panorama did a documentary a year or so ago on some of the maternity wards and let's say it was kind of appalling! When I first saw the documentary I really thought twice whether I wanted to have my baby in the UK even though medical was free! But then I met my MW and decided that I was in safe hands and also the area we live in was ranked among the better ones for maternity care. However I have a friend who decided to go back to Sg to have her baby b'cos she wasn't comfy with the hospital in her area. So it really depends. Best to talk to people who live in the vicinity and find out what their experiences are like. You can get lots of info from the mums in toddler groups.
happy.gif

Back