Any Singaporean MTBs/Mums living overseas???

kaylaistbaby

Hi Ladies,

Are they any MTBs/Mums living in Europe? I have just moved over to London over a year ago and am 10 weeks pregnant. I would like to share my experience and hear from anyone who has gone through the Healthcare system in Europe etc...

Hope to hear from you soon and make frens along the way!

Hi Kayla,

I am living in Manchester and 13 weeks pregnant. Just went for my dating scan yesterday to determine EDD. So have you seen your midwife yet?

Hi Earl_grey,

So glad i heard from someone!!! I live in London and am 11 weeks pregnant. I have booked for my scan which is next week. So how did your scan go about? You must have been very delighted to see your baby!

I was reading some posts from other threads and realised that most MTBs had seen the early scans of their babies...Whereas for me, i have only heard the baby's heartbeat once when i went to my GP at 8 weeks. I feel quite lost and worried sometimes...

So how your MS like? Mine has subsided but it was horrible initially. I was bed-ridden for 3 days...but now it has been reduced to once in the morning.

Hi Kayla,

Yup, finally got to see him (I am hoping it's a boy) after weeks of discomfort, it's like a confirmation that there really is a baby developing in me! I laughed out with delight when the radiologist turned the monitor around to show me, my hubby hurried forward to get a look, and then we started asking questions at the same time! I assume you have collected your Bounty goodie bag from ASDA or Boots already? There is a little cardboard photo holder in it provided by Pampers for keeping the first scan photo of your baby, and it says "the first time you saw me" on the cover, I guess that pretty much sums up my feelings at that moment, it's just so memorable, and that is where I keep my scan photo now.

I guess midwives in different areas work differently, when I asked to listen to the heartbeat at week 11, my midwife said it's too early and we won't be able to hear it. So, I'd seen how my baby looks like but have not heard any sound from him yet, luckily the scanning report also stated that "heartbeat is present", or else I would be worried. I guess that is the downside of being under a healthcare system, while you don't need to pay, you have to wait really patiently for everything. I've also seen that some MTBs from this forum had visited a gynae at week 6 and had their dating scan as early as week 9; whereas I only got to see my midwife for the first time at week 11, and did my dating scan at the end of week 12.

As for MS, well, I didn't have MS, but "ES" instead. I didn't vomit much, so far only 3 times, but the nausea was very bad, I also felt bloated and had a strange bitter taste in my mouth constantly, the bloating always got worse in the evenings, so much so that I couldn't eat at all, so I tried to eat more in the day to make up for skipping dinner. All in all, I had a loss of appetite for more than a month due to the nausea, and all these symptoms just subsided a few days ago, meaning in mid week 12.

By the way, if you need more info on pregnancy and NHS services, try getting this book "Expecting: Everything you need to know about pregnancy, labour and birth" by Anna McGrail and Daphne Metland, it is written specifically for UK MTBs and is highly recommended on Amazon UK. I find it much more useful than "Your Pregnancy Bible" (another highly recommended book), and I consult it weekly as my pregnancy progresses.

Hi Earl_Grey,

Hope that you are enjoying the bank holiday...I finally cooked at home today as I wasnt able to stand the smell of cooking for many weeks...

I am so happy for you and your hubby!!! It must have been a very emotional time for the both of you and your Boy...Everyone keeps telling me that since i have morning sickness, I could be having a gal...It doesnt matter to me. I just want to get thru this pregnancy safely cos I am living alone with my hubby. Got no mum to take care of me cos my family is all back in Singapore.I didnt get the bounty bag cos the hospital ran outta stock but I would make sure to ask this thursday when i go for my appt. Now that you have told me yr experience, I really cant wait for my scan!!! Like you, i didnt feel pregnant until i heard my baby's heartbeat... But nowadays, i am quite cautious about wat i eat and drink...I totally agree about the healthcare system here...The benefits of free medication,hospitalisation and maternity rights are great but the not-so-regular appointments are nerve-wrecking.

I am so glad to hear that your MS has subsided...But i find it weird that I only vomit during weekday mornings when i get up for work but not during weekends...Its all in the mind i guess!

I will definitely get the book that you recommended cos its especially impt that i read up on such things. Cos there's a limit to how much my hubby's relatives and my own family can advise me...
So are you living in Manchester with your hubby alone or as a family? And how long have you been here?

Hi Earl_Grey,

How do i get the bounty bag from Boots and Asda? I just registered online with the Boots Baby club and they sent me an email saying that they will send the welcome pack over the post in 4 weeks...

Hi Kayla,

I was first given a Bounty "Pregnancy Information" pack by my midwife (now that I try to recall, I believe the photo holder came in this package), among all the information leaflets inside was a Bounty "Your Pregnancy" magazine. On the first page is a membership form to join the Bounty Club, fill it up and bring it to any ASDA or Boots Customer Service Counter and you will receive a Bounty "Mum-to-be Essentials" bag. Hence it actually works similar to the Boots Baby Club, but I guess it is not uncommon for MTBs to join all the clubs (there is another one by Royal College of General Practitioners, and their goodie bag is provided by Lloyds Pharmacy, website: www.emmasdiary.co.uk).

For Bounty Club, when you are near your EDD, you can collect an "Overnight Essentials" bag for yourself and a "Newborn Essentials" for the baby, and then when the baby is 6 months old, there is a "Baby Essentials", which is the last goodie bag.

I moved to Manchester in mid 2006 with my hubby, so we are alone here without any family too. I have also been wondering about how to cope with no maid nor family when the baby is born, because I have no idea how to take care of a newborn. My parents came to visit last summer and they still found it too cool for comfort, hence I don't think they will want to come during winter. Besides, I happen to be a modern woman who believes in the benefits of a confinement period, not to the extent of not bathing and washing hair for weeks, but as in eating all the nutritious confinement food and keeping your body warm to avoid rheumatism in old age.

Therefore I've been contemplating the possibility of returning to Singapore to give birth, so as to enjoy the tasty spicy food, pampering of family, care of confinement lady, help from domestic maid, and most importantly, the warm weather. I hate the miserably dark and freezing winter here, to think that I would have to struggle with a newborn as well as take care of myself after delivery just makes it even more unbearable.

How about you? Do you have any plans?

Hi Earl_Grey,

Thanks so much for your information on the bounty bag...Just my luck that my hospital ran outta stock!!! I will push my midwife to give me one tmr when i go for my appointment.

My hubby's british asian so I have to give birth in England so that my child will automatically qualify for citizenship. But I also read up that children born overseas to British citizens can have their births registered in the British embassies in Singapore.Its all a matter of paperwork i guess...I would be going back to Singapore to eat all my favourite food cos I have been craving them for the longest time. But i think I would stay in London for the delivery cos I dont think my hubby can stay away from me and the baby for so long...hehehe...especially since this is going to be our first born. Even though my in-laws live near us, i know that i have to cope on my own. My mum can only stay here for 6 months on entry visa so I am actually a bit scared of the huge responsibilty. The weird thing is that my mum loves the cold weather here cos she constantly gets migraine and high blood pressure due to the heat in Singapore. When she's here, she's perfectly healthy!

I do agree that confinement period is very impt so I feel that its a good idea to be in Singapore if thats the place which is very condusive for your recovery.I know its much easier to hire a maid and get all the right foods for you in Singapore. I think its going to be depressing to stay in London during the winter with a newborn. Plus, I tend to eat more during winter so i am so not going to lose the baby weight!

So when are you due to give birth? I was wondering if its allowed to travel by BA/SQ when 7 months pregnant?

Hi Kayla and Earl Grey

Just happen to come across this thread. Don't often come to Sgmotherhood as I'm usually on the Singaporean Women Abroad website: www.sgwomenabroad.org but just boss is out at the moment and I'm bored.
happy.gif

I'm in the UK too but live in a village in North Nottinghamshire somewhere between Sheffield and Lincoln. Also expecting baby no 1. Am now 29 weeks plus. Was also given the Bounty and Emma's diary by the MW but didn't really bother to fill in the forms for the goody bags.
happy.gif
Though I found the Bounty booklet useful and have been reading it religiously week by week.

Things over here seem a bit more relaxed than in Sg don't they? Ha! Ha! I think one expectant mother in Sg would have had more scans than the three of us put together!
biggrin.gif

Btw are you girls on the Facebook group: Singaporeans in the UK or Singapore Spouses & Families in the UK/Ireland?

Kayla have you heard of Est 1819? They are a singaporean group that meet up monthly for makan makan. You should join them if you crave for singaporean food and company.
happy.gif
If only I lived nearer London but I'm a little too far up North to join in. http://singaporeans.meetup.com/51/

Anyway gotta go now.

Oh I'm not sure whether its a BA/SQ flight but a friend of mine flew back to Singapore from Oz when she was 30/31 weeks.

I went back to Sg for 3 weeks when I was 19 weeks. So I had to miss my 20 week scan. Had it done when I came back at 22 weeks plus. Nurse at the hospital wasn't very happy about me changing the date though.
happy.gif
But MW was pretty cool about it and just told me to have a nice holiday.
biggrin.gif

Hi Mrs N,

Hope that you are doing well.Thank you so much for the links that you provided...I will surely go and sign on with them. I like the one esp about the makan...My husband and I would like to join them one day on their makan trips.

My fren bought me nasi lemak the other day from a Singapore stall in Paddington. I think i teared a bit when i ate the coconut rice but somehow it wasnt the same. So i plan to go back to Singapore when i am abt 5 months pregnant to see my family and eat all the food i can.

I was wondering if its going to be strain to take a long flight from UK to Singapore during pregnancy. But i plan to stop-over somewhere before heading to Singapore cos i am worried about blood circulation esp ard the legs. I will book the tickets once i find out exactly when my next scan dates are cos i am scared of missing any appts esp since we get to meet the MW less often than our Singaporean counterparts.

I am going to 'see' my baby for the first time. Quite nervous and excited at the same time. I will keep you ladies updated ok...

BTW, when are you both due to give birth? Mine supposedly Dec 10...

Hiya Kayla

I'm due on 08/08/08. Yeah I know what you mean about not seeing the MW often enough. 1st trimester I only saw her once and 2nd trimester about once every 5 weeks. It's a bit more regular now that I'm in my 3rd trimester. Guess it may vary from county to county.

I went back at Easter but booked the tickets last August. At that time didn't think I was going to get preggy. So couldn't change the dates and the MW said it was ok to go. We went back by emirates and so had a stopover in Dubai. Not too bad to break journey halfway to stretch legs and walk about.

5 months is a good time to go back. I got all my maternity clothes back home and quite a bit of baby stuff as they are much cheaper there. Have you got much appetite? I didn't have much during the first 3 mths but as soon as I got back to Sg my taste buds 'woke up'.
happy.gif

Hi Mrs N,

OMG you are due on my husband's birthday...I wanted to a have a baby ard this day as well but then I just gotten a new job and didnt want my pregnancy to get in the way...So you are going to have a Leo baby!

I am thinking of stopping over in Dubai as well...So far the only pregnancy clothes that i have bought are those baby doll dresses from new look etc...the ones that i can hopefully wear after giving birth.

I didnt eat properly until week 8.I used to throw up so much that i hated food.But lately, i dont eat anything until late morning and in the evenings cos thats when i can keep down the food. Its like i have found out the 'right' time my body can adjust to the food. But till now i cant stand the smell of food...Like i still puke if i walk by restuarants...Hopefully i will start eating well when i go back to Singapore. I will make sure i land there in the morning so that i can enjoy the breakfast at the kopitiam...hehehe

So do you ladies have any cravings? I am a chocoholic but lately i am craving more chocolate! No difference...

Hi Kayla and Mrs.N,

Mrs. N, welcome aboard! You live in a village, how idyllic! Life must be quite different from living in a city. So how long have you lived in UK?

Kayla, I quote the following from the book "Expecting" which I told you about, but I think it is better to check with respective airlines and your midwife: "Most airlines won't let you fly at all after 32 weeks because of the risk of you going into premature labour. You may also find that your tickets and/or travel insurance are no longer valid if you travel after 32 weeks".

Ah, don't remind me of those delicious foodie......I have been craving for Satay Beehoon, Laksa, Mee Rebus, Fried Kuayteow, Seafood Horfun, Pohpiah, etc. for weeks! There was one night when my craving was so bad that I couldn't sleep and just sat on the sofa to meditate, and I imagined I was eating all those yummy food, in the end I was so caught up in my thoughts that I felt as though I could really taste the food!

I am due on 29 November. I used to be a chocoholic too, but in contrast to Kayla, I do not crave for chocolates but spicy food now.

Earl Grey yes village life is very different from living in a city. I used to live in Sheffield before I came here and it took some getting used to. The nearest town is about a 15 minute drive away and the buses run once every 2 hours. Definitely not the efficient service that one is so used to in Singapore. I still find it hard to believe that I have been in England for almost 7 years.
happy.gif

Wow you're very diligent with all your reading material. Makes me feel very guilty which reminds me that I've still got to go through the name book! We still haven't decided on names yet. Have to choose a boy's and a girl's name as we don't know the gender of our child. Hubby insisted that it should be a surprise.
lol.gif

Kayla Dubai is a good halfway point to stop. But just make sure you ask at the information desk which gate your connecting flight will be at. Enroute to Sg our flight details weren't on the board half hour to departure so my hubby had to ask at the desk only to find out that it was the last call! Let's just say I wasn't expecting to do a cross country run across Dubai Airport at 19 weeks!!!
uhoh.gif
Emirates is a great airline to fly with but just be aware that Dubai can be a little chaotic at times.

Oh I love chocolate but trying to limit myself. When I was in my 1st trimester I couldn't bear to taste my own cooking. I even went off spicy food which was unusual and in the end all my home-made sambal blachan had to be thrown away because it got mouldy!
kao_cry.gif

Did you girls see the dentist yet? So cool to have free dental treatment until our child is a year old.
happy.gif

Hi Ladies,

Earl_Grey,
Now that you have mentioned all my favourite food, i am Meditating at Work!!! I so want to eat Singapore Food...If only i can time-travel.God help me and my baby! I craved for Aasam Pedas the other day and Chicken Rice. So my mum sent me the lemon grass, lime leaves and chicken rice paste etc...But when it came down to doing it, I couldnt cook. I started vomitting when i was cooking the garlic. I gave up in the end and settled with looking at the pictures of chicken rice in my cooking book.hehehe

Mrs N,
My hubby and i wanted to move to Jacksdale,Nottinghamshire at the beginning...There were so many nice houses over there and the house that we saw was along the 'High Street' but then my in-law family convinced us not to move away so far cos my hubby comes from a family of 6 children and all of them live very near one another in London. Thankfully we didnt move cos i got pregnant soon after...

As for me, I went for my scan yesterday...My baby refused to turn and show its neck so that its thickness could be measured...It kept jumping up and down and turning away...In the end, the sonographer got impatient and asked to me skip and run up and down the corridor for 10 mins...I even had a hot chocolate cos i was feeling cold from the gel that was put on my tummy. Later on, the baby finally shifted position but only showed its neck ONCE! Everyone was saying that its a very challenging baby.My hubby got to see the baby even more than me cos the screen was turned away from me. Finally got a photo to look at and feel pregnant!!! But my Due date has been brought forward to December 8. My next appt is in 9 weeks time...

Hi Kayla

How on earth did you managed to skip and run up and down the corridor and have a hot chocolate with a full bladder! I already had trouble 'tahaning' the desire to wee before the scan if I had to jump about ...... But first scan wasn't so bad as tummy wasn't as big. After the second scan had to quickly dash off to the toilet much to the sonographer's amusement!
biggrin.gif
Thank goodness my next scan in a few weeks time (at 32 weeks) don't have to drink as much water!
happy.gif

But nice to have the photos eh? At least it makes the pregnancy more real yah? We had our first scan on my MIL's birthday and and as she didn't want any presents we thought we'd show her the scan photo and the first thing she asked was: it's not twins is it? Ha! Ha! I think she was half expecting it to be as my hubby a twin.

Yes it's good to have family close by. My hubby's younger brother lives next door to us with his wife and 4 children! And my PIL live in town so we're quite lucky in that sense. Besides my BIL's wife was a MW. She doesn't work as a MW now but she qualified as one so can still ask her for advise when in doubt. Is your baby the first grandchild? Ours is the eighth which has proved useful as my hubby's twin sister has given us all her baby stuff: pram, cot, carseat etc. Some people say we've missed out on the fun of shopping for baby but my hubby says we're only doing my SIL a favour by clearing her house off unnecessary stuff!
lol.gif

Hey I thought you can get those ingredients in London! Hee! Hee! I was the same. I bought some lemongrass last december from an Asian shop in Sheffield thinking I could masak masak over Christmas. But Christmas came and I didn't feel like cooking or eating anything! Till this day my poor lemongrass is still in the fridge and totally dried up. I'm still keeping it because so sayang to throw away lah! But not sure what I'm gonna do with it.
happy.gif

Btw are you here on a 2 year spouse visa? Just asking b'cos when I took my Life in the UK test last december there was this lady who said she found it difficult to study for the test b'cos she had to look after her baby. So if you haven't done the LitUK test yet, you might want to consider doing it sooner rather than wait until your 2 years are almost up. You need the test before you can apply for indefinite leave to remain.

Hi Kayla,

When you mentioned measuring the thickness of your baby's neck, are you refering to a Nuchal Translucency test? Did you ask for one? Because I don't think my baby was measured for that, and I specifically told my midwife I am worried about the possibility of Down's syndrome, but she assured me the chances of mine having such a baby is 1:850, and that's that, she didn't offer me any antenatal blood test or scan to rest my worries. Now I wonder if I should have pushed her to request for a NT scan.

Wow, your baby actually moved for you to see, mine was probably sleeping, as he just "floated" in the sac sideways, facing the floor all the while, and didn't move at all. Honestly speaking, I would have liked him to move a bit like yours did, as a kind of "say hi" gesture, hehe!

Earl Grey

I think whether the hospital does an NT test during the scan varies from county to county. I don't think mine did. Did you do blood test at all? My MW asked me at my second appt after the scan if I wanted to do the blood tests so I said ok. And she took blood samples for every test that was available. But she did stressed that the blood tests for Down's were just screening tests anyway and the results were statistical. A low stats does not necessarily mean a Down's baby and vice versa. You only get a definite answer for Down's if you do an amnio. There was one test though that she recommended that I take due to my ethnic origin and that is sickle cell/ thalassaemia test. Hmmm you could try asking your MW for blood tests if it will set your mind at rest but you need to do them before your 16th week.

Hi Earl_Grey,
Yes i was refering to the Nuchal Translucency test that tests for Down Syndrome. They did a scan to measure the thickness of the baby's neck and a blood test. I was offered the test when i went to see the MW for the first time. Like what Mrs N said, the tests results are quite vague and the best way is prove is to do an Amnio where they insert a needle into your belly to get some fluid out. The MW told me that there are chances of miscarriages when carrying out the tests. Hopefully, i dont need to go for one. My results will come in 2 weeks so till then i am quite worried. I am 24+ years old but i have been told that age doesnt matter when it comes to this. Since you didnt go for one, just relax and dont think too much abt it. Alot of people dont opt for this test either.I also have to go for a couple of more tests cos i have a family history of diabetes.

Ya i think my baby was disturbed by my increased activity. It actually used its legs to kick and jump upwards like it was ANGRY!!! My husband saw it opening and closing its palms. He kept saying that he finally felt like a dad now that he has seen our baby.

Hi Mrs N,
The thing is i peed twice before i went for my appt cos no one told me that i should come with a full bladder...lol...Its ok in during the day but at night i get up at least 3 times to go the loo. I am losing sleep over it.Awwww...i am sure your MIL appreciated the picture so much. Its the memories that count right. My husband has twin sisters in his family so we were quite relieved to know that i am not expecting twins...But it always skips a generation so our children will have more chances of having twins...

Our baby is the first grandchild in my family but its the 7th one in my husband's family.Plus all my hubby's nieces and nephews are newborns or under a year old so there's no way i am going to have any hand-me-downs! But i would do anything to get some of the baby stuff for free cos its very expensive to buy all of them. Like a pushchair from Motherc*re costs 299 pounds and an electric breast pumps costs 90 pounds... Just realised that we should start saving for all the baby things.

I have given up on cooking any singaporean food. I will just wait for my mum to come over and do that.lol. Yes i am on a 2 year visa and i will start studying now that you have told me...Its better to familiarise myself with the info now than panic later...Ya come to think abt it, i need to sit for the test next april. By then i will be busy with the baby.

Hi Ladies,
Are you keen on BF? My chest has blossomed recently but that doesnt mean that BM will surely come out right? I was told to eat lots of shark fish and bean sprouts to get the milk flowing after the birth...But i was yet to eat them.

Have you started using any anti-stretch marks cream? I just bought Bio-Oil for use and its smells very herbal and is very light in texture...

I know its too early to talk abt this but have u decided on childcare issues...Like are you to going to take care of your baby or hire extra help etc?...

Hi Kayla and Mrs. N,

Yes, I'm aware that NT scan is not available everywhere, partly due to there being a shortage of qualified sonographer throughout the country, according to www.babycentre.co.uk (it's a very popular website with lots of up-to-date info). But I'm a little angry with myself for not insisting to do a NT scan, because even if I take the triple or quadruple blood test at week 16, it will only pick up about 60% of babies with DS. NT scan alone will pick up about 75%, but when you combine both screening tests, the detection rate can be as high as 90-95%. However, I only got all these info after the 1st appt with my midwife. I should have called her up about doing an integrated test (OSCAR - which combines both tests) privately, but it's too late now as I'm already into my 14th week. Nonetheless I shall discuss this issue with her when I go for my 2nd appt on Tuesday.

Well, my midwife did draw some blood at my 1st appt to test for rubella, hepatitis B, thalassaemia, etc., but I already did all these tests when I had my annual health screening in Singapore earlier this year, so I know the results will be fine.

Kayla, I wish I could transfer to your hospital if it's not for the distance. The one I go to is supposedly a comprehensive hospital for women and children, and a regional hospital for the Greater Manchester area as well, but the equipment they use...... I could hardly see the outline of my baby's arms from the monitor, let alone opening and closing of his palms! Urrghhh...... Now I have another disadvantage of public healthcare services to complain on - obviously the variety and standard of services provided are not equally distributed! And I'm already living in the 2nd largest city in the country! Urrghhh......

Yes, I will definitely go for breastfeeding, in fact, my GP/gynae encouraged me to do it for a year if possible, so that the baby can benefit from it as much as possible; she BF her 2 daughters for a year too. I think the BM will only start flowing after you deliver.

I have been a little lazy on the anti-stretch marks cream and haven't bought any yet. Will visit the drug stores for some soon.

I know, I'd been thinking about the childcare issue as well, but I've decided to concentrate on eating well and having a healthy baby for now, and only worry about that when the EDD draws nearer. But it should be easier for you both, since both of you have got your husband's family here.

Earl Grey if your MW drew some blood from you at your 1st appt then she probably sent some of it to screen fro Down's Syndrome. Otherwise she wouldn't be able to give you a figure of 1:850.
happy.gif
I guess seeing that you are low risk she probably didn't see the need to send you for an NT scan. So don't worry too much about it.

Yup NHS services isn't quite equal all over the country. The assessment results of maternity services early this year is testament to that.

Kayla you might find this website helpful: http://www.lifeintheuk.org/ I discovered it two weeks before my test. The test questions were pretty useful and the more you practise the easier it gets. Managed to pass the test within 5 minutes.
happy.gif
Don't think I could have done that if I just relied on the book. It was so boring and I usually fall asleep before I can get through a chapter. The last time I checked there was no 'expiry' date for the test so you can sit it early if you feel you are ready. It is to your advantage if you do that as there's always the possibility that the Home Office might raise the test fees.

Will be going for BF. MW also recommends it. Kayla if you think chest is big now wait till you are in your 3rd trimester! I have to use bra extensions on all my bras.

Hee! Hee! MIL didn't know she was having twins until she went to the hospital for delivery. She was pretty impressed by how much technology had progressed since her day.
happy.gif
Oh yes the toilet trips. I think I've been doing it for so many months now that it has become part of my routine to wake up in the middle of the night. Good practise for when the baby comes!

Your baby will indeed be lucky to have many playmates about the same age. I am working in the church and as there is only me and the priest, and working time is quite flexi my 'boss' says I can bring the baby along with me. Though I'm sure my BIL's wife won't mind babysitting for us sometime but don't think she would want to do it full time!
biggrin.gif

Hi Earl_Grey,
The hospital that i go to was recently refurbised so maybe that's why they use different equipments etc...You should also ask your sonographer for a different shot next time. Initially mine gave us a very blur picture where the baby's body didnt seem connected. Then i asked her to give us a nice clear shot cos we were paying £3.50 for the pictures.

I sometimes dont even put on the anti-stretch mark lotion when i feel lazy...I am not very consistent with such things...lol. Its like before i got pregnancy, i was convinced that i would do everything right but now i cant be bothered abt some things... Like eating the right kind of foods etc. Feel guilty sometimes...but i get very tired from going to and fro work. All my energy is drained by the time i reach home that all i want to do is sleep...

Btw i have not received my blood test results for the blood drawn for the first time so i have that to worry about as well...sigh...

Hi Mrs N,
Ya my hubby and i planned for this baby cos we wanted him/her to have cousins of the same age. Someone to play with and I can also get useful information/help from my SILs since we are all going thru the same thing. But imagine when we have family gatherings! All the little ones running around...
happy.gif

I just threw up my breakfast at work...I thought MS is supposed to subside after 12 weeks...I am not that lucky i guess!

Mrs. N,

Oh no, the midwife just checked my age against a chart then said my risk is 1:850, and that's before she took blood samples from me! But anyhow, I admit I'm a little paranoid about this, it could be because I have family members born with birth defects from both maternal and paternal families, and I witnessed the agony of the parents at first hand. So now that I'm about to become a mother myself, I just can't help wanting to make sure that the baby is alright.

You mentioned bra extensions, do you mean sew-on or detachable ones? I've been having problems with my bras as well. I know there is this detachable belly band that you can hook onto the waistband of jeans to extend their use for a few more months, and I wonder if there is a similar product for bras too?

Kayla,

Don't worry, I still felt bloated and nauseous from time to time in week 13, but much better now that I'm in week 14, it will gradually go away.

Kayla Have lots of little ones running around can be fun ... well at least for the little ones probably will drive the adults mad with the noise! I have many cousins who are the same age as me and I remember when we were little we used to play 'police and theif' during family gatherings. The girls will form one team and the boys another. A lot of fun really. And although we have all grown up we are still very close to one another.
happy.gif

My MS didn't quite subside until I was 18 weeks! So you're not doing too badly.
happy.gif

Earl Grey I see. Maybe if you explain to her your fears she might be more willing to help or at least give you the option. It's still not too late to do the blood tests. I did mine 2 weeks after my dating scan when I was well into 15 weeks! MW wanted me to do them earlier but hubby told her that it wasn't necessary to do it so early!
biggrin.gif

Yes I meant the detachable bra extensions. So far I haven't seen any in the UK. I got all of mine from a shop in Toa Payoh. Pretty useful stuff as it meant that I didn't have to buy a whole new collection of bras and could still use some of my old ones.
happy.gif

Hi Mrs N,

Ya i agree that seeing the little ones run around during family gatherings seems very nice but not the mess that they create...hehehe...I too had about 6 cousins of the same age and we had a great time growing up together. I hope to give my kids the same kind of bondness within the family.

None of my SIL used a bra extension so i have no clue on where to find them. But i really need one cos the width of my bra doesnt fit me anymore...I feel uneasy whenever i wear my bra...so i thot of going to M&S to get some good quality ones later on in the week.They tend to last longer...My pants are tightening yet but its still advisable to wear loose clothing at this time. Such things are so readily available in Singapore but not here...

Hi Earl_Grey,
Didnt your MW ask you abt your family history at your first appt? Cos mine did and thats why i have to go for the extra tests cos my mum has diabetes...Since you said you have family history of birth defect, your MW would have strongly advised you to take the tests...Like what Mrs N said, its still not too late and you can request for these tests...I think the worst case scenerio is that you have to take the tests privately or go to another hospital if these tests are not available in your area hospital.But dont lose heart dear....

Bad news ladies...i am down with the flu and feeling feverish as well. The weather here is not helping at all. Its raining throughout the day...Feels so shiok to sleep in the morning when its raining and dark outside but everything is spoilt when the alarm rings...Sigh...looking forward to the one year maternity leave!

Hi Kayla poor you. I came down with bad flu when I came back from Sg. My MW said I couldn't take anything 'cept paracetamol and hot lemon.
sad.gif
Took a while but eventually it went away.

You could get your family in Sg to send you the bra extensions. They come in 2 standard sizes I think one with a width of 2 and the other with widths of 3 hooks all in the usual bra colours. The ones I got came in a pack of 2 and cost about $3. I went to M & S to get some maternity bras too. I got a pack of 2 for £20. Didn't want to get more as I knew I was going back to Sg and thought it'll be cheaper to get it there.
happy.gif

You could try getting pants that can be tied about the waist so it is adjustable. I managed to get a few from Primark. They were pretty decent and cheap. I only started wearing proper maternity pants about 7 mths as my bump is rather small compared to most over here.

Hi Kayla and Mrs. N,

Saw my midwife today and she scheduled a triple blood test for 2 weeks later, so at least I do get a test for spina bifida and DS! But when I asked if I could have a quadruple test (which has a higher detection rate), she said everyone gets a triple test and I can only get a quadruple one if I do it privately, sigh!

I also called up the Fetal Medicine Foundation, and according to them, the only centre that provides NT scans in the entire greater Manchester is a private hospital, so I guess that's why neither my midwife nor hospital offered me one! Well, had I known that earlier, I would have considered getting an OSCAR done privately, but since I'm already into my 14th week, it's too late to talk about it now, so I shall stop harping on this.

As for the bra extension/extender, not sure if you girls shop on ebay, but I found some suitable ones selling at £3.80 (including postage) for a pack of 3, in colours black, beige and white, or all 3 in white/black. Oh, and they are brand new, reason I say this is because, when I told friends in Singapore that I shop on ebay occasionally, they all think that I am buying second-hand stuff, and I had to explain that a lot of ebay sellers are actually suppliers or store owners, and they sell on ebay to attract more business. In fact, ever since I moved to UK, I found ebay a great place to buy things that I need but do not know where to get, and often at a cheaper price too.

Kayla, so sorry to hear that you are sick, better see your GP before you take any medication. I also fell ill around week 6, I didn't take any medication but just slept and drank lots of fresh orange juice, and it took me over a week to get well. Hopefully you will recover sooner than I did!

Hi Earl Grey well at least the triple test is better than nothing. Though I'm surprised your MW didn't explain to you all the available tests that were entitled to you at your first appointment. I guess MWs in Manchester are very busy people. My MW spent over an hour explaining everything to my hubby and me at our first appoitment and even told me to expect blood tests at my second so I could psychologically prepare myself to be 'poked'!
biggrin.gif
Are all your appointments with the MW in the hospital? Mine is at my usual Doc's surgery. I only go to the hospital for scans! Very small hospital as it's open only during the day. Will have to travel to the next town for delivery as that is the main hospital in our district. Quite ulu eh?
happy.gif

Yes my hubby is a great ebayer. He buys and also sells stuff on ebay. In fact he bought the mattress for the playpen and an Avent breast pump all from ebay. The breast pump was new and it worked out cheaper than even getting it from Sg! We often buy stuff online as being where we are it is quite a trek to the big city/town shopping centres.
wink.gif

Hey Kayla hope you're feeling better today.
happy.gif

Hi all,

Finally found some MTB Singaporeans in UK!!!
happy.gif
)

I'm a MTB due in Oct 08. Currently am 21 weeks and am still deciding if I will have the bb in SG or Ldn. Of course my mum wants me to have the bb in SG so that i can get all the nourishment and pampering during the confinement period. i am all for that too but just dont want to be separated from hub for too long.

Just wondering if any of u know if i have the bb in Ldn, would he/she get auto citizenship?? Or just a right to stay in UK?
My hub and I are just on 2 year visa and if i have the bb in Ldn, would he/she have auto citizenship??

Hope all of you are well.

Hi Thel welcome
happy.gif
The more the merrier.

If I'm not mistaken for your child to be entitled to British citizenship at least one parent must be a British subject. I'll go and check later on (and am work now)
happy.gif
. I'm sure the HO sent me some documents relating to this issue when I got my ILR visa this year.

Hi Thel

FYI:

Birth, Registration or Naturalisation in the United Kingdom (UK).
For citizenship purposes the UK consists of England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man

A person born in the UK before 1 January 1983 will be a British citizen automatically, with the exception of persons whose father was a foreign diplomat or an enemy alien at the time of the birth.

Birth in the UK after 31 December 1982 does not automatically confer citizenship. A person born there after this date will be a British citizen provided one of their parents is a British citizen or settled in the UK at the time of the birth. The meaning of settled in the UK under the Immigration Act is that the parent is free from Immigration control and has been granted the right to enter or remain in the UK for an indefinite period.

If the British citizen parent is the father, there is a requirement that he was legally married to the mother at the time of the birth.

A person who holds a certificate of registration/naturalisation issued by the Home Office in the UK will be a citizen from the effective date shown on the certificate.

Mrs. N,

Wow, your midwife spent over an hour with you?! That is a luxury! I also see the midwife at my GP's surgery and go to hospital for scans. My midwife only saw me for about 40 min the first time, of which i took 5 min in the loo to give an urine sample. I believe she is quite busy as she runs the anteclinic alone at the surgery on Tuesdays, so all the MTBs under this surgery have only one day in the week to come for appointments, thereby creating a long queue. I only saw her for 10 min on my 2nd visit, and she wasn't keen to explain properly when I asked about tests that can only be done privately. But she is friendly with a nice smile, so we just shrugged and accepted whatever she recommended.

Glad to hear that you have found so many necessities on ebay. I just bought a brand new Femme TENS unit from ebay too. I'd been monitoring the sale price of such units for months as I am not very keen to use epidural during labour, and hoping to get through it with a TENS unit alone. I bought it for a total of £37.99, Mothercare is selling the same product at £49.99, so I am quite pleased with my purchase.

Thel,

Welcome, like what Mrs. N said, the more the merrier!

I am also planning to return to Singapore to give birth, and also worry about separating from hubby for too long, he is not very happy about being left alone here, but said that he is willing to sacrifice for the benefits of me and baby.

Yup, if both you and hubby are not British citizens or PR, your baby cannot have auto citizenship.

Kayla,

Hope you are getting well, miss your bubbly messages!

Hi everyone,

Hope that you all are doing fine...Nice to see the forum rolling with posts...I have been very sick for the past few days.I have been breathing thru my mouth and keep getting cold sweats. Like yesterday, when i was in the train, i suddenly felt my legs go weak and i was in a cold sweat. I really felt like fainting...I was praying so hard u know. In the end, i found a seat and fell asleep until my stop. It was a scary experience indeed.

Ladies, i was wondering is it alright to take any medication at this moment. I know that its not good for the baby thats why i am not bothered to see the doctor.Also,yesterday, i jumped outta bed in the middle of the night because i had a MAJOR leg cramp!!! It was so painful and i could see part of the leg muscle being pulled inwards. It was as though my leg had a life of its own...My hubby asked me to lie down and started pulling my leg. Are leg and stomach cramps normal during pregnancy?

Hi Mrs Thel,

Welcome to this forum! So nice to meet u...

Earl_Grey,

I am so glad for u dear that u managed to secure a test...better late than never. Dont worry about the OSCAR test since the test for spina bifida and DS is a good gauge for the baby's healthiness. I am on the look-out for a private clinic that do scans. Cos some stupid relative told my husband that the MW should have been able tell the sex of the baby so he is SOOOOO curious to know the gender? So i will keep a lookout on the costs of doing an OSCAR test in London if u want me to...

Mrs N,
When we were looking for a house in Nottinghamshire, one of the things that put us off was the distance to the nearest hospital. Going to the hospital would be like going away... So how are you going to plan your journey to the hospital if its so far away? Thanks for the info regarding the citizenship...Its very useful indeed.Such impt things get overlooked during pregnancy.

Feel like taking MC from work tmr and enjoy a longer weekend...and perhaps search for things to buy at Ebay.hehehe... I have never shopped at Ebay but if the things there are much cheaper, why not?

Are any of you ladies working at the moment?

Earl Grey my MW comes to the surgery on Mondays and Tuesdays. She keeps Mondays specially for those with 1st appointments so that she can spend longer time with them. Most of my regular check-ups are between 10 to 15 mins but she does have an assistant to help her. Both of them are very nice. Did your MW let you hear your baby's heartbeat at your last appt with her? The MW has been doing this since my second appt and its very reassuring as we don't get scans very often unlike the MTBs back home.

You thinking of going back to Sg for the birth? One of my friends down south did that. She took no pay leave and went back to singapore around her 4th mth while her hubby stayed in the UK because of work.

Kayla not sure how to plan the journey to the hospital.
happy.gif
The hospital is about half an hour away from my village. My only consolation is that at least we're having a summer baby. Can't imagine what will happen if one had to deliver in the middle of winter when the roads are icy!
uhoh.gif
Though that's what happened to my MIL when she had my hubby and his sister. My FIL had to drive her to the hospital in the heavy snow. Ha! Ha! My baby is going to be born in the same hospital as it's daddy. Well the hospital may be a bit far but at least it's comforting to know that in the last assesment the maternity unit is ranked among the best in this region which was a relief. After watching BBC Panorama on some of the maternity units in britain I was half expecting to be left in the corridor during labour!
wink.gif

You can know the sex of the baby at your 20 week scan. The sonographer asked us if we wanted to know but we didn't. Don't have to spend extra.
Your hubby is British isn't it? So your child will automatically get British citizenship. You can apply for S'pore citizenship for your child if you want to and get the baby bonus. I know some people have done it. But I don't think I will be doing that. Too much hassle with passport renewals and all that stuff as London isn't exactly on our doorstep!
happy.gif
Besides it'll be more problematic if it's a boy! Heard that parents had to put up a bond with the sg govt when their sons become teenagers. Don't think we have that kind of money.

I had that fainting feeling once when I was about 16 weeks. I was in church and the service was about to be over. I was standing and suddenly felt light headed and my vision was also blurred. But continued standing cos paiseh to sit when everybody was standing. Once the priest left I tried to sit down but missed the seat and landed on the floor instead! Gave the poor lady sitting in front of me a fright. Hee! Hee! Think some people thought I was drunk!
rofl.gif
But lucky it wasn't a heavy fall and the 'bump' did help bring me back to my senses. When I told my hubby what had happened he thought it was very funny. Now looking back it does seem funny only at that time I was really scared and thought I was having a heart attack or something! But I read in the booklet the MW gave me that pregnant ladies can have fainting spells so you just have to be careful when you are out especially if you're on your own. I do occasionally get muscle and leg cramps too. So many aches here and there yah? Make us sound like a bunch of old ladies! Perhaps we should look for walking sticks on ebay to prevent us from falling over.
lol.gif

Yup I'm working at the moment.

Mrs N,
That so sweet and a rare coincidence that your baby and hubby being born in the same hospital...Actually compared to places outside of London, London seldom experience heavy snow but do have very cold weather. Everyone was telling me that both my baby and I are going to be sleeping all the time during winter. But although this baby was planned, we didnt plan according to the seasons...hehehe..although i heard that some British people do that.

I am also not keen on finding out the gender of my baby cos the surprise element will definitely help me thru this pregnancy. I think i can look forward to having the baby even more...

I dont think i will get Singapore citizenship for my baby cos if its a boy, then he mite have to go for NS. That is a good thing but how can i force my child who was raised here to go over to Singapore for military training...Dont think its possible to restrict them in such a way. Plus, British citizens can travel to more countries without Visas.But the baby bonus does seem tempting!!! hehehe...But too much of a hassle though.

Like u said, i do sound like an old woman who complains pf body aches all the time!!! Plus i have veins protuding here and there at the back of my legs and arms etc. But i am scared of fainting in the Tube cos the other day when a woman passed out, everyone was cursing and swearing at her indirectly cos we were all going to be late for work.

Since you are working, when are u intending to go for your maternity leave?

Hi Earl_grey & Mrs Thel,

How are you? Hope that you are doing well...I am on sick leave today cos i was having leg cramps the whole night. I am just going to sleep the weekend away ...

Hi everyone,

Kayla,

Thanks for your offer, but I believe I am too late for an OSCAR now, 'cos it is comprised of a NT scan and a blood test taken at the same time, and you can only do a NT scan between 11th week and 13th week 6 days, which I am well over now. Anyway, according to the babycentre website, an OSCAR costs around £100+ generally.

Yes, I suffer from leg cramps from time to time, though not as bad as yours. My way to overcome it is to lie on the bed, plop my legs up on the headboard so that they are higher than my head, then ask hubby to massage the affected area until it goes away.

I used to work but went back to university some time ago to pursue a postgrad degree, so I am a SAH MTB now. In fact I am supposed to finish up my thesis before the baby comes out because I know I won't have time or energy to do it then!

Mrs. N,

Yes, I am planning to return to Singapore to give birth, especially after realizing that the public system here has its restrictions. We don't mind paying extra for private services, but obviously it's not as readily available here as in Singapore, you have to ask around for info as the midwife may not be able to help; whereas in Singapore, once you find a good gynae, you'll have all the necessary info and services. Hence, after that incident with the NT scan, I am more determined now to go back for delivery.

No, I still have not heard my baby's heartbeat!! My midwife promised she would let me hear it at my 2nd appt, but when I asked her on Tuesday, she said according to the dating scan, my pregnancy is less advanced than she thought, so it's too early to hear the heartbeat! I wanted to argue that the dating scan report states that heartbeat is present, but decided against it. Though I was no where as annoyed as hubby, 'cos he purposely took time off work in order to listen to the heartbeat; so when the midwife said we can only hear it at the NEXT appt, he was secretly hopping mad, 'cos he will be out of town then! Haha!

As for the citizenship issue, we've done a bit of homework too 'cos my hubby is a US citizen, so we have also discussed which citizenship to apply for the baby esp. if it's a boy. According to Singaporean Nationality Law, minors who are dual citizens for whatever reason are allowed to hold dual citizenships up to 11 years old for a boy, and 22 years old for a girl, at which point he or she will have to decide which citizenship to renounce.

By the way, are any of you suffering from pain in the pelvic area? I am, and I've seen a thread that discussed this "buttocks pain" which made me LOL. The "location" is quite right, only it's not the buttocks that are in pain, but the pelvic bones at the base of the buttocks, due to softening and loosening of the ligaments that hold the bones together, so that the space between the bones can expand to allow more room for the baby to squeeze through during labour. And my, is it painful! I can hardly walk without limping, and hubby still wants me to take a walk every evening to facilitate a smooth delivery. Urrghhh......

Kayla,

I am sorry to hear that you are still unwell, wish you a speedy recovery! Do take lots and lots of water and rest, make hubby do all the housework and run all the errands! (That's what I did when I was ill!)

Earl Grey that's just too bad. My hubby didn't come with me during my 2nd appt as he had to work so he missed it too.
happy.gif
But he decided to come along to the next one!

Oh you'll definitely get more attention in Sg. Btw if you have your baby in Sg, he/she will automatically become a Sg citizen. My cousin had her 2nd son in Sg and although her canadian husband objected to having the child registered as a singaporean he was told that it wasn't possible because the mother was singaporean.
happy.gif
My cousin is now having a headache over this dual issue. I didn't know that boys had to renounce theirs at 11 as I always thought minors are allowed dual until age 18 or 21 can't remember which. Is this recent? This topic has been discussed widely on the overseassingaporean portal (http://www.overseassingaporean.sg/forums/index.php?showtopic=430). Quite interesting to read some of the experiences of people who have veen through the system.

Are you doing a PhD Earl Grey? Good luck with the thesis writing I certainly don't envy you on that task. I was doing mine in the year I got married and it left me with little time for anything else. In the end my hubby had to plan the wedding.
biggrin.gif
I was so relief after I submitted everything. Won't want to go through that period of my life again.
happy.gif

Not sure about just having pain in the pelvic area. I've got aches all over my body. Now I know what my friend meant when she told me to enjoy my 2nd trimester because in the 3rd you'll have pain here and pain there and pain everywhere!
lol.gif

kayla

How are you feeling now? I'd had cramps this morning and it was painful. Had to wake the hubby up and rub my calf. Ha! Ha! Yah feel like an 80 year old. Even walking up the stairs is such an effort. My hubby was joking the other day that I needed a stair lift.
rofl.gif

Yeah two passports is so much hassle. And with the new biometric ones valid for about 5 years it's going to be expensive to keep renewing them. After listening to my cousin and friend's experiences my hubby isn't too keen on our kids having dual nationality. Anyway should we wish to settle in Sg in the future there's always the option of applying for PR for our spouse and children.

My work is kind of paid voluntary so I don't have official maternity leave. But I'll probably try to tone things down towards the end of June or beginning of July as I don't want to drive too much when I'm mid 30-something weeks. It's not a long drive from our village to town but sometimes I find I have difficulty concentrating. As it is I'm feeling very tired most days, and it doesn't help that it gets bright so early. Been longing for an afternoon nap.
happy.gif

Anyway have a great weekend girls. Hope the weather stays dry.

Hi Ladies,

I am back at work today. Feeling much better now cos i rested during the entire weekend. It was quite nice to stay at home and have a relaxing time...I am so looking forward to my maternity leave. I should be able to leave for mine at the end of September but hopefully i can persevere until the end of November.

I dont know if i am having varicose veins on my limbs but my veins look greener and more obvious than before. I am trying to make sure that my legs have good blood circulation.

My leg cramps are getting more frequent and like what Earl_grey said, I too am having pelvic pain. I cant describe the pain but it feels as if i am being pulled apart...hehehe...Nowadays i am in alot of pain!! Have trouble waking up in the mornings as well because of the constant aching in my body.

Earl_Grey,
I really admire your determination dear. Writing your thesis while carrying your baby. I wish i could be like you cos my company wants me to pursue CIMA but i didnt have the confidence to do it all the way. Think its a 3 1/2 years course...Dont think i will ever do it!

I heard my baby's heartbeat when i went to see my GP for the first time...but not during any of the hospital's appt. But i think they have some of these devices sold in Argos if i am not wrong...but maybe they are to be used later in your pregnancy. I know how you and your hubby feels abt missing out on such things.

Ladies,

I am supposedly in my 14th week but i have not starting showing...but my bum and thigh areas have become quite flabby...hehehe. When do we start to show usually?

Hi ladies,

Been busy the last few days, I hope everyone is well!

Mrs. N,

Sorry I took a shortcut and didn't make myself clear, it should be:
1. All minors who acquired dual or multiple citizenships for whatever reason before the age of 18 are required to renounce all foreign citizenships by the age of 22 or may lose his/her Singapore citizenship.
2. However, male dual citizens are not allowed to renounce Singapore citizenship after the age of 11 and before attaining majority at the age of 21, so that they have to serve NS at the age of 18.
3. Therefore, male dual citizens who do not wish to serve NS will have to renounce their Singapore citizenship at the age of 11.

Me and hubby are toying with the idea of applying for dual citizenships should our baby be a boy, but we shall only make a decision when it is born.

Yes, I am doing a PhD, and I don't envy myself in this situation either!
happy.gif
The baby has come earlier than my initial plan, but children are gifts from God, so I accepted the news with joy and try to take things in my stride! I can't wait for this period to be over either!

Kayla,

That depends on how you define showing......I am in my 15th week now, both my upper and lower abdomen are protruding, with the lower abdomen slightly bigger. But if I wear loose tops or cover up with a cardigan, it's not obvious on the front, while side views are more obvious. However, if I don't tell people, I don't think they can guess that I am pregnant just by looking at me, 'cos my arms and legs are still pretty much the same, my face is a bit plumper though.

Kayla I think it varies from person to person. For me I only started 'showing' after 20 something weeks.
happy.gif
Even now I'm considered 'small' compared to some women! My mum also told me she hardly showed until the last months of her pregnancy so I suppose it could run in the family.

Earl Grey oh I'm sure you're get through it alright. God knows how our limits.
happy.gif
Guess you aren't far off from submitting. Remember to take some time out if it all gets too much. Are you going for your blood test tomorrow? Who knows the MW might let you hear your baby's heartbeat. Keeping fingers crossed for you.
happy.gif

Do you ladies find yourself getting more forgetful? I think I'm going a bit wooly in the head. When I got home just now I couldn't rememeber if I had locked the office doors. So had to drive all the way back to town just to check! Ha! Ha! Locked it alright ... made an extra half hour journey for that!!
lol.gif

Hi Ladies!
Thanks for the info. My husband and I are not UK residents. But I was wondering if my baby is born in UK, wouldn't he/she have a "right" to stay in UK indefinately?

Kayla,
I've read that you should avoid fizzy drinks cos they cause leg cramps n according to the chinese belief, avoid cold water too. Best to have room-temp water if possible. Ive adopted the habit of bringing a bottle of water with me whenever I am out.

When are all of u due? My EDD is 12Oct and will be returning to SG at the end of AUg to deliver. Initially wanted to have the bb in Ldn but my mum, dad have advised me to have the bb here due to more family support and help. The only problem now is when i return to London after the baby is born, it will be a tough time!!
sad.gif

Hope all of u are well.

Hi Ladies,

I am not showing as of yet...in the mornings, my tummy is quite flat but then it looks bloated after i have my meals. Heard that women dont show much during their first pregnancy because of the firm stomach muscles, which, unfortunately loosen up afterwards. So lets all enjoy our small tummy for now...hehehehe...

Hi Mrs Thel,

You are absolutely right! I have been craving for fizzy drinks for the past few weeks so that might be reason why i am getting the non-stop cramps...I noticed that i tend to get them on days that i eat jacket potatoes. Not that i fancy them. I dont really have much to eat here for lunch except for sandwiches etc. Sometimes i wish i was in singapore where i can get all the tasty kopitiam food for lunch.

I am due on 8th of December...Think i would be the last one among us to pop out...hehehehe...Think i would be so anxious when its my turn after you guys tell me of your experience. Keep in touch ladies even after you fly to Singapore ok. I wish that everything will go smoothly for you
happy.gif

So do anyone of you know the gendar of your baby? I keep dreaming that i have a gal...bringing her from the hospital wrapped in a pink towel...hehehe

Thel,

Even if your baby is born in UK, it will not be granted automatic residency rights under the British Nationality Law, hence it will not have any "right" to stay in UK indefinitely. You can imagine that if there is such a "right", all the maternity units in the country will be flooded with illegal immigrants who wish to win residency rights for themselves through the birth of their babies!

I am due on 29 Nov, will return to Singapore during the summer to begin seeing a gynae there. If possible, try to go back as soon as you can, for as I have mentioned somewhere above, most airlines will not allow you to fly after 32 weeks, and some will require a doctor's letter to confirm that you will not go into labour within the next 72 hrs before they will let you board. So you will need to plan your travelling carefully. And anyhow you will need time to find a suitable gynae if you wish to have your baby delivered by the same gynae.

Mrs. N,

Thanks for your thoughtfulness, my blood test is scheduled for next Tuesday, and yes, I hope that this time round I can finally listen to the heartbeat!

Yes, yes, yes, I am so forgetful nowadays that I have begun sticking post-it-notes everywhere to remind myself of all sorts of things! I also have this problem of wondering if I had locked the front door or car behind me, and always panicked over these matters.

Thel I agree with Earl Grey. Don't think babies born to non-resident parents will have automatic right to PR if they were born in the UK. British immigration law is rather strict now you just need to look at the home office website to realise how complicated it has become.
happy.gif

I'm due on 8th August so not too long to go now.

Maybe you like to join this facebook group and connect with other Singaporeans who have young families in the UK. I'm sure quite a few are living in London. http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=7363740027

Kayla if you're craving for local food why not join est 1819 for their lunch meet this saturday. They are having it at Satay House (a malaysian restaurant).
happy.gif

We don't know the gender of our baby but my hubby keeps coming up with female names!!! Would be hilarious if baby turned out to be a boy.
lol.gif

Earl Grey well she shouldn't have any excuse for not letting you listen to the heartbeat then! You'll be well into your 16th week by then?

Hi ladies,

Mrs. N,

Yes, I will be in my 16th week then, so I shall INSIST to hear the baby's heartbeat!! Haha!

Kayla,

You may not necessarily be the last among us to pop...... should you baby decides to come out sooner or mine becomes too comfortable in my tummy and wishes to stay longer, then I may pop after you! In fact, mine may very well come out after the due date, as I was an overdue baby myself, and my mum had to be induced!

Hi Ladies

Mrs N,
Thanks for recommending the sites in Facebook. You know whenever i think of baby names, only female names come to my mind. Serious! Even when i am randomly reading the newspaper, somehow i like to spot real unique gal names. Gals have more variety of names to be named after rather than for boys.

Earl_grey,

I was a late baby as well. My mum said that I well passed the 10th month mark...Gosh...Is there a chance my baby could be born next year?...hehehe. Tell us all about it when u hear your little one's heartbeat...I bet it will be fast...

So sad! I wanted to go to Singapore in August but my colleague has beat me to it in the office. SHe's going to be away for 20 days...Sigh..I guess i have to settle to travelling in Oct. But at least the tickets are off-peak season at that time...

Back