Any Recommedation for Phonics Enrichment Class ??

Hi Poohy,

I been through your stage when I pull my gal out from 3hrly Qdees to a full day care at Mulberry CC. Qdees is very academic. My gal bring back worksheets regularly. Readers are alway in her school bag which allow me to do my own revision with her at home. But due to the arrival of No2, I have to change her to a full day care.
In mulberry cc, she dont bring any worksheets and readers back home. Everyday I asked her what she learn in school, her reply will alway be play, eat and sleep. I was as concern as you. Especially when you come to the forum, you see the postings from other parents about their kids learning progress, is really stressful. Like you, I had a talk with the teacher. I requested her to give me a weekly update of what my gal learn in school. also I get to know that they give out worksheets to parents only after the end of each term. In fact, I just received the Term 3 worksheets. My hubby think that my gal really enjoy herself in school,that is why her reply are alway play, eat and sleep, cos she associate learning as something that is fun!

My opinion, know the type of educational style you wish your kids to have. If you choose one that does not match your belief, you will alway contemplating your choice. In the end, is going to add more stress to yourself and your kid. Also, make up your mind before your son settle down. As it is going to be more stressful for him to adapt to another new environment. Is really heart pain when your kid tell you that they misses their friends and teachers in the previous school.

Poohy
I agree with Loacker totally that the school we choose must match our belief. In fact, I registered at LW for my girl but after a term, I found they lack content. While I agree that mastering English is long term process, but content is important especially my girl's sch is of very high standard. As it is expensive, I terminated.

There are always changes around us and we have to adapt. Your child needs to adapt to primary sch, sec sch, JC/Poly, NS, NUS, workplace. If you have to worry at every stage, then you would have many worries. We have to slowly let go. This is part of growing up.

Besides money (coz LW is expensive), it is better to source around for suitable ones (according to what you want).

I have changed many Eng classes for my girl but still can't find anyone that suits me.

Another thing to note, one sch may be suitable for one child may not be suitable for another.

loacker, caroline,

thanx for the advice!! Appreciate it. I will made up my mind by end of next week and stick to it
happy.gif
After speaking to so many different centers, I do start to realise that phonics in itself is not all that important afterall... and I had been introducing phonic sound to S all these while so he actually have very accurate pronounciation plus quite a good vocabulary... so I think maybe I can relax a bit more for the formal content part. The LW & CH seems to be able to do something even more important... character building, general knowledge and creativity so I am reconsidering. I need to observe a few more days and research abit more...

hi,
Another alternative for phonics, you can consider icreativelearner (http://www.icreativelearner.com). My son is doing the winningways programme with them. I feel that they are good. The only requirement is knowledge of alphabets. After only 6 months, my son can start reading quite abit.

They only take in kids during the year when the kid turns 4. There is only 1 intake a year, march. And the whole course last 2 and half years. Max 6 kids in a class, and the kids stays together until they finish the course. If there are no dropouts, there are no new entries. They charge per 8 lesson block. 175 for weekdays and 190 weekends. They garuantee that the kid can read, spell and write before end of K2. However, they have homework to do during the weekday. Eg. learn 8 words a week to reading simple rhymes, books. Besides that, they do written homework and creative drawing/writing. Every lesson, the homework is checked and kids tested on the rhymes or words they suppose to learn to read.

As they only take in 6 kids per class and a intake a year. And alot of their new classes are made up of younger siblings of current students. You have register quite early. The more popular teachers have their intake full for 2009.

tenten

there is a Q&A in Young Parents magazine (page 64) about a 4 years old who clams up & becomes shy in other places. Maybe you can take a look at the Oct issue

My girl is extremely shy in the presence of strangers. She attended speech & drama for 1 year at CC. I also sent her to a 3 day speech & drama camp organised by another CC. She had lots of fun in classroom. On the 3rd day of the camp, the kids were supposed to perform for their parents but my girl refused to participate when it was her turn to give a solo speech. Too many unfamiliar faces.

I guess speech & drama does help a little. She used to be even more shy

Tenten
If you are looking at Speech & Drama, there are a few good ones:
1) Crestar: reasonable price
2) Act3: near Newton
3) Lorna Whiston: United Square

My boy was at Kinderland Child Care and they have speech & drama by Crestar during curriculum time. My boy enjoyed very much.

tenten,

my boy is attending edudrama speech and drama class at Julia Gabriel forums now on top of the one in his cc at lorna whiston. Its quite good. I also heard Act2 and Lorna Whiston are good too
happy.gif

In JG, the kids gets a circle time where each is being invited to come out to share something they had brought. Just 1 or 2 sentences... they will be asked to face the audience and speak audibly... if they are not ready, the teacher will respect them and move on.

hippo,

do u think attending CC helps in reducing the shyness? My boy also very shy in front of strangers... but at home he is vvvv talkative and articulate. Recently in the CC, its his 2nd week, the teacher feedback to me that he did talk to her and tell her about his violin and stuff at home. I really hope it helps..

poohy

my girl was with a montesorri childcare for almost 2 years. Didn't overcome her shyness leh.

She has no problem speaking to teachers because they are considered familiar faces. She gets on well with her current kindergarten teacher & classmates too because she sees them everyday

However, she will clam up in new environment or new people.

stressma,
nice meeting u today!!

hiaz.. i miss the chinese lesson.. really thou its 11.45am!
sad.gif

how is the teacher? gd?

anyw, my ger dun want to go class herself.. how ah??!! chiam liao la this time..
not sure if i shld go back to zootodds.

then i feel too many kids n the attention is not there with only 2 teachers.

Hi, I am new to this thread. I have 2 boys - 7 and 4 years old. I think it is more important for the younger kids to enjoy school and pick up social and life skills. I personally feel that while it is good to have a strong foundation in language, it is not necessary a good idea for the kids to be too advanced in their learning because once they start P1, they have to follow the pace set by the teachers who have to cater for 30 students. If they are too advanced, they may feel bored and restless in school.

hoho03 hihi....nice meeting u too!

how big is phoebe's zootodd's class?
i also feel tat the class a bit big and tat teacher quite fierce leh....jo-van throw a percussion instrument into the basket and she say "tatz not very nice....."i think for a child in his first day in class...quite scary hor?

i think the chinese teacher is ok...like all PRC teacher, they speak very well with the accent....and the storytelling also very expressive loh..

check with creativelearning and realise their AMK classes are full. I am given the option of class at hougang ave 6. Anyone have experience with the teacher at hougang ave 6?

anybody tried British Council ?? Any comments ?

Me also considering Learning Point at Thomson Plaza. Any mummies sending their kids there ? Can share some experience ?

my gal is going K2 next yr . thinking of sending her for creative writing classes. Any recommendations ?

Thanks !

send my boy(3 yr) to ZP trial class. now im super stress...cos the other kids were way advance and he couldnt follow. if i sign him up next year, the other kids will follow up and he still wouldnt be able to catch up.

place him in seimpi, so far so good and he's happy.

Mummies, i m confuse too much reading require liao on this thread. Lost mid way thru.
I am staying at Jurong Wst St 61 area and also like to enroll my boy for enrichment class over the wkend. Any gd recommenation for me.

My boy will only start gg to sch nx yr for N1 (born in 2004). I am stressful too. Can PM me the details if u happen to knw any located at Jurong Wst area. Tks

Mummies, i m confuse too much reading require liao on this thread. Lost mid way thru.
I am staying at Jurong Wst St 61 area and also like to enroll my boy for enrichment class over the wkend. Any gd recommenation for me.

My boy will only start gg to sch nx yr for N1 (born in 2004). I am stressful too. Can PM me the details if u happen to knw any located at Jurong Wst area. Tks

stressma, you send Jovan to ZP too? I didnt send Vane to any enrichment class after she start sch. Hehehe.....

Hi Tamarind

I just send my boy, 3.5 yrs old to montessori phonics. The teacher told me I need to reinforce the sound of the alphabet as he is weak in it. If not, it will be very difficult for him to progress to 2/3 letter words. She said he needed assistance in the worksheets as well. Back home, I try and go through with him and I am so stressed by it. Is it really a must for him to know all the sounds before he starts the phonics class? I thought the purpose of sending him there is to learn but it seems like I become the teacher and teach him at home. I also do not want to stress my boy as well. In fact, he is the youngest in class. The rest are either in K1 or K2. What should I do? Continue or pull him out?

Oh, fz, the leapfrog dvd can also get from tower.com and it shipped to your home. Think it is better to buy the box set as the shipping cost is still $4.99 despite 5 dvd inside.
happy.gif

red.rose,
Yes it is a must to know the sound of the alphabet very well. Why don't you buy the Leapfrog Letter Factory DVD and play it to him every day ? My boy watched this DVD since 2 years old and knew all his letter sounds before 3 years old. Your boy is older and should learn be able to learn within a few weeks if you let him watch every day.

Actually the Montessori phonics class is only 1 hour once a week. That's why they require parents to practice with the child at home. Is your boy attending nursery ? They should be teaching letter sounds every day.

Once they progress to 2/3 letter words, it will be very fast. They teach all the 3 letter words with the vowel a within 2 weeks. But don't worry, do not insist that your boy knows every thing. Just make sure he understands the technique. My girl also did not know every thing at that time. But by the end of the course, she understands the technique very well.

Just practice with your boy 2 or 3 times every day, it should take only about 15 minutes.

Hi Tamarind

Yes, hv intention to buy the leapfrog DVD but will take abt at least 2 weeks to reach. Hope my boy will not be behind the rest and hence cant catch up. Today, I had spent an hour going through with him. Stress...

As for his current sch, he is attending PCF, I think at his nursery level, they are only teaching the recognition of alphabet, rather than the sound of it, so dun think will help much.

Found a website that teaches the phonics, will let him try and see if it helps.

hi rose,

mayb u can try I CAN READ programme for ur child??

my gal was with ICR for abt 3 terms and she did pick up quite a fair bit esp on blending. blending helps al ot to prepare the child to learn reading and spelling.

u can try www.starfall.com for phonics

HTH
happy.gif

hi pooh

thanks for your feedback. i had paid the deposit and registration of abt $160 which are non refunable for montessori phonics, think will hv to stick to it for awhile and see if my boy has improvement, if not, then will consider ICR. think me being a kan cheong mother, wanna my boy to learn to read, din think that he has to at least master the basic phonics sound before enrolling him.

yes... this is the website i am exposing my son to. hope it helps him to learn better.

hi giggler,

me send jo-van to ZP last sept. i find his alphabets and sound not very good and sine i no time to teach him...tot send him to this, at least he learn some phonics, i intend to let my gal join the zoo tods if the timing is alright too:>

hi rose

no prob.

i used to be quite kan cheong when my gal still cant read while some of her peers are reading ...guess jst let go abit and let the kid to pick up slowly.. my hubby alwys tells me kids learn better without any stress.

tamarind, read ur blog. u are a dedicated mum.. working yet spend time to teach ur kid.

hi pooh

guess i just let nature takes its course, if end of day, my boy is rejecting the school. will try and put him in another.

saw some mummies put their kids at zoophonics, can the mummies share is the pace fast?

red.rose,
Montessori phonics class is definitely much faster than Zoophonics. As I wrote in my blog, Zoophonics take 10 months just to teach the letter sounds. Then another year to teach 3 letter words I think. Montessori teaches 3 letter words within 2 months only. I guess it is suitable for older kids or for kids who already know the letter sounds very well.

pooh,
I only spend about 20-30 minutes every day with each of my kids. Some times only 3 times week. I am not that hardworking :p I guess it is important to find the right method to teach the kids.

hi tamarind

aiyoh... 4 weeks to learn all letter sound in montessori phonics is super fast. dunno how can my boy manage. but hor.. 10 mths to learn all the letter sounds in zoophonics seems very long.

will let my boy try his best to learn and absorb, if really cant, will pull him out, dun wan to stress him too much oso.

hi tAamarind,

read your blog too....tot u are a SAHM!!!!!
i dun think i have your patience...also how u lear phonics yourself...to be honest, i only know the alphabets sound....throu the letterfactory DVD....

red.rose,
Hopefully things will work out fine. You should try to emphasis on understanding the technique, not memorizing the words. Just practice regularly and take it easy will do
happy.gif

stressma,
Every night after work I try my best to teach my kids, even though sometimes I cannot keep my eyes open. Like a few nights ago I fell asleep while listening to my girl read the Ladybird keyword series book 11a (quite boring to adults actually, but good for learning to read).

I learn phonics by practising with my girl a few times every week when she was attending the Montessori Phonics class. That is a very complete course which covers everything, like the silent e and double vowels like "oa", "ai", etc. I believe other phonics classes for young children only covers up to 3 letter words.

Actually besides phonics, parents should also start the child on the Ladybird keyword series. It is very good ! My 3.5 year old boy took very long to learn the 3 letter words with the vowel a, but he could finish book 1a now. The "Look and say" method is equally important when teaching a child to read, because many english words do not follow the phonics rules.

tamarind,

wat's de difference between ladybird keyword series n normal readers? my gal's sch uses rigby readers. if i start her on ladybird keyword series, would she b confused?

when should one start on de ladybird keyword series?

jh,
I haven't seen the rigby readers, so I cannot compare. The Ladybird keyword series introduces 1 or 2 new words on every page, and repeats the word many times to reinforce.

Personally I think that once the child knows all the letter sounds very well, and is starting to learn 3 letter words, then it is a good time to start ladybird book 1a. Just like I did with my 3.5 year old boy.

stressma,
Forgot to mention that at my girl's montessori phonics class, the teacher taught the parents how to teach the child. So that is how I learn phonics too
happy.gif

tamarind,
does our 'local dvd players' have any problem reading the leapfrog dvd from amazon?
TIA

fz,
The leapfrog DVD from Amazon does not have any region coding. I have organised a few sprees for other mommies, have not heard that any of them have problem playing the DVDs. I am not sure about DVDs from tower.com.

LSM,
My girl went to the MMI beside Lakeside MRT. Check my blog for more information. The phonics class is an express course, may not be suitable for all kids.

http://tamarindvillage.blogspot.com/2008/02/reading.html

jh

my gals is using the rigby readers in sch and find it gd. actually most readers are quite ok , the most impt thing is to cultivate the habit to read??

my gal using rigby, ladybird and also the oxford readers.

I just found out that my kids' PCF nursery/kindergarten also use rigby readers
happy.gif
I read the books with them, but I never looked at the publisher.

Personally I feel that Ladybird keyword series is more systematic. They have levels 1 to 12, so my kids feel a great sense of achievement when they finish a level and progress to the next. It is my way of motivating them.

It certainly will not be confusing to use both rigby readers and ladybird series. But I think that besides reading these books, it is very important that the child learn phonics. It really help them to remember the words, and also help them to pronounce the words correctly.

I am encouraged to get the Leapfrog Letter Factory DVD after reading Tamarind's posts/blog.
However, i am considering getting all the 5dvds to save costs.
Anyone here bought the 5-pack leapfrog DVDs? How useful did you find the other 4 DVDs?
TIA for all comments!

Back