Any Recommedation for Phonics Enrichment Class ??

kiki123

Hi,
I'm trying to look for a phonics enrichment class for my girl... she will be going K1 next year. Anybody has any recommendations ??

If u stay bukit timah. u can go to Life Skill Learning center at Chun Tun Court...My boy started there this year and will be doing the K1 stage next year...very experienced teacher...

Hi NewSS
Thanks. I'll check it out. Just to enquier, do they cather to Pri 1 onwards and any idea how much is the course and how long? Really appericate it.

hi yqt,

minimum age is 2.5 years old. $450 for weekends class and $396 for weekdays class. each term is 3 mths.

Thanks NewSS.
My kids are now 6 going on 7 so a little hard to find. Problem is that since they were babies we use only chinese at home so now in pri 1 their english are not too great, though my "lou ta" is OK.

PS: just in case anyone is woundering, I have a set of triplets
happy.gif

Hi yqt,

Hw r u? wow a set of Triplets, really lovely. am I right to say tat they r cmng to 7, hw many kids do u have
kao_clap.gif

Hi Melody
Yeah, they'll be 7 in May. How many kids? I think 3 is just nice, any more and I'll have to work round the clock
kao_dizzy.gif

Hi yqt,
really envy u, hw do u take care of them when they r young (are they the same gender), I have 1 elder boy & a pair of Twins cmng 15mths, it's really a great challenge to look after them ya
kao_cheers.gif

Hi Melody
I've got 2 girls and a boy (youngest one) and yes it's a challange bringing them up but I find that it's better when you set some grounds rules for them while they're still young and stick to them. Once they have realised that you're serious about the rules, they will know what they can and can't do. Makes life easier for everyone
smile.gif
but once in a while they'll try their luck and see if they can get away with it
lol.gif
that's when I remind them gently but firmly about the rules.

Hi Melody
Yes, they're a blessings indeed
kao_biggrin.gif
. I'm staying in Hougang Ave 7. What about you?

hi yqt,

the program at 'i can read' cater to primary schoolers too.

wow, triplets, it's really a challenge ya
happy.gif

Hi NewSS
Thanks for the info. Is this program st Kovan Mall as well? IF not may I know where it is?
At the moment, we've enrolled them in a short 2 mths course in Bishan CC every Sat from 9an to 11am. I'll be looking around for some other program once this one ends.
Thanks.

Hello,
I am also looking for phonics classes in sengkang. can anyone help? My daughters are K1 and K2.

They are progessing very slow in their english language and I ma getting worried as my eldest girl is going to P1 next yr

My son is taking phonics at Jan & Elly in Serangoon Garden v near to Hougang, Chompchomp there. $230 per term. Teach by 'ang mo' teachers.

Hello
I registered my son (K1) for phonics at Kent Ridge Tutors. Read in a week, its founder, Liza Kon, partner with Kent Ridge. She rent the place and the teachers have been trained by her. Per lesson $28. The whole course (ie beginners, intermediate & advanced) takes one year. I find Jan & Elly, though good, takes too long (ie 2.5 years).

Does anybody know which English centre is good for pre-prepartory for P1?

Thank you

Caroline3Sg

'Read in a week' means your son understand the sound of phonics within a week?
or can really recognise words & read a book ?

thanks for sharing

hippo
Read in a week is the centre name but operate in Kent Ridge centre. Kent Ridge centres can be found in many places. Liza does not have a place, she rent it from Kent Ridge.

My son's class would start 12 May. But one of his friend attended Jan class and according to his mum, he can read story books himself.

oic
what does the one year course cover (beginners, intermediate & advanced)?
do you have the web site address or contact?

thanks again

Hippo
I don't have the no. for Read in a week. Kent Ridge website is kentridgetutors.com. Only Toa Payoh no. is shown. It is 6250-0444. You may call Toa Payoh to ask for the tel no. of the location that you want, then check for the timing for phonics from there.

Yes, one year cover up till advanced.

My son's mother tongue is Mandarin while English is his working/schooling language.I read English story book to him every night, sometimes Chinese ones too. He is comfortable with both languages, but he is unable to breakup English words and pronounce them. I thought it will be perfect if he can do so, I can then rest in peace for both languages.

My son (6 yrs) has been in I Can Read for 4 months now. I thought this program is the perfect one to master phonics and reading. In the beginning, it did seem so, my son was promoted from preparation class to I Can Read level one quickly and he made some effort to pronounce unfamiliar words. I was pleased
and ignored the negative observations about the center in Jurong East and program.

- most of the personnel are a bit too proud /arrogant??
- all teachers are angmo, more premium?
- teaching materials are boring....

Jess (mama_jay),
How is the lesson plan and standard like for Jan & Elly?
i visited Jan & Elly at Railmall today to enquiry about the Phonics Intermediate. Am hoping that my boy can pass the diagnostic test so that can skip the Beginners portion, cos i think he knows most of the phonetic sounds.

caroline3sg
wow, you are pretty resourceful...know material without signing up.
happy.gif

ya. i think the course are about 40 weeks for each stage, so if my boy can't get through the diagnostic test and I can't enrol him in the intermediate stage, i am not signing up cos i feel that he will be bored at the beginners stage as he already knows most of the basics.

fz
The test cost $20. If you sign up, it is $10. Your child must score 80% before he can go to intermediate. Intermediate is 2 letters sounds, so it is a must to know basic sounds of A-Z.

If you are confident he knows the basics, then go for the test which is only $20. This allows you to have a confirmed answer how well your son is. It also allows the professional teacher to know where your son stand.

Alternatively you can look at I Can Read. The environment is better. Test is free.

Else you can check with Kent Ridge Read in a Week. Ask them if you can join from intermediate.

thanks caroline3sg,
may i know if the test is a verbal one?

that is what i thought too....$20 is not too expensive. but an hour of lesson seems a bit short.

The nearest I CAN READ is at Jurong East (i think), i prefer nearer ones cos commuting is going to be very tiring, cos my boy's PCF lessons is in the afternoon and he attends these extra classes after school.

how about letting your kids watch phonics DVD?

I am using kumon material to teach my 3 years old phonics but her progress is very slow
she picked up phonics so quickly from DVD after watching once or twice
save so much of my effort

hippo2002,
any recommendation on which phonics DVD is good? i am looking at learning of the blending of phonetic sounds.
happy.gif

fz
There is I Can Read at Civic Plaza Woodlands. The environment there is better than Jurong East. I think the test is oral one.

Crestar duration is also 1 hour. In one hour, the most cover 3 alphabets or 3 blending sounds. Kent Ridge Read in a Week is 1.5 hours. I do not know how crampy it is. Jan & Elly is slow & steady.

Phonics lessons - my two elder kids took phonics lessons from a teacher at her house. Lessons are one-on-one. Taught montesorri style, I think. They learn through songs, tactile (hands on manipulation), worksheet, writing, recitation etc.

Teacher charges $25/hour, payable per four lessons, on the first lesson. Public holidays no lessons, still must pay.

although a bit ex (but for one-on-one ok lah), kids do learn, and usually by just before p1, can read quite well, cos she teaches until she covers even the sight words and words with exceptions (those that don't follow the rules). But I would suggest if you are interested, not to sign your kid up too early. She likes to take them in around beginning of N2, but even if you start like at K1, also can... they move at a much faster pace, and you don't feel like how come so slow one... know what I mean?

Warning though... she can be firm with the children (although she will reward with stickers to motivate them) so sometimes the children are reluctant to go for lessons if they are not used to it. She gives homework (writing, practice reading) at a later stage (when doing more complicated blending and various vowel sounds), so expect that.

She's at Marine Parade.

Yes Leapfrog DVDs, highly recommended.

Especially Leapfrog Letter Factory. You can start letting your kids watch from 2 years old. Very good for learning letter sounds. Cost less than SGD20, and both my kids learn all the letter sounds. Save me so much money
happy.gif

If you go to classes, it's like once a week, and kids don't get much practice. You can play the DVD every day, and your kids will learn so much faster.

He also likes leapfrog letter factory and word factory. I feel that it is good, but some of the letters is prononunced in the american way. On the whole I feel it is money well spent. My son is also goes to icreativelearning. It is also quite good.

Hi mummies,

would like some advice. my girl is in Primary 2 this year - is it too late to send her to English enrichment class? I think she needs to learn phonics cuz her reading is not so good.

i heard that some of her classmates go to i-can-read and moris allen but i'm not sure if they can help cuz P2 is quite a late start. actually i saw lorna whitson's advertisements and went to check it out - the place looks very pro.

anyone can advice me? thanks...

p.s. there's a jan& elly near where i stay but i never heard anything bout it so not sure is it good

Hi Mum2Yen
It would help to know which area you're looking around ie: Hougang, Jurong, etc.
My kids are having classes ( English and Maths ) in Excellrate Learing Ctr, in Hougang. Every Sat. from 10:30 am to 12: 30 pm. But for weaker students, the teacher will start the class at 10 am and she will sometimes teaches the weaker kids till as late as 2 pm without extra charge.
I've checked with my kid's form teacher and she did notice an imporvement in them in just 5 lessons.

Mum2Yen,

I experienced the frustration of being a phonics illiterate myself so I started my son young at 4 with phonics enrichment in childcare center, followed by those in community center, not good enough so I went to "I Can Read", paid so much but still cannot read with phonics. I almost give up, I wanted to just read to him everyday and let him do his normal sight reading. Now he is in the middle of K2, I just signed him up at Zoo Phonics, one last try. During the detailed assessment at Zoo Phonics, the instructor commented that my son although has knowledge of phonics (having been thro' so many phonics classes) but did not internalize the technique of pronouncing with phonics. His reading is acceptable as he relies on sight knowledge of words. But that has its limitation. Zoo Phonics proposed a 4 sessions of one-to-one "bridging" class to brush up on techniques and afterwards put him to the last stage of K1 standard class. Today he has the first bridging class.

Mum2Yen
hubby's colleague sent his P1 girl to Morris Allen. commented no result and has since dropped the class

Lim
As long as your boy can read well, I think that's good enough. Not necessary must learn phonics. Come to think of it, our time also no such thing as phonics but all us of survived primary school
happy.gif

I don't think my girl uses phonics to read despites taking all those phonics lessons. She can read well though

I think good reading is all about books, books and more books. I am now borrowing from the library books about Knights, Castles.. monsters.. magic..

yqt
am staying in upper bt timah
Excellrate have outlets in the west?

Lim & hippo2002
ya, our time no phonics but we survived thats why i didn't think it was so impt too... but now, it's as if my girl's classmates are way ahead. she also relies on how the word looks. so when she see new words, stuck lah.

did you both read enid blyton when young? i really loved enid blyton..and i thought she will love reading them too but dunno is it generation gap... maybe i should find other books

Lim
did you hear abt Lorna Whiston that they give the kids a lot of books to read? maybe that's good? but not sure if they teach phonics. if my girl can't learn to read new words on her own, how to grow vocab?

Phonics is just a tool to help reading. Can do without phonics but cannot do without reading. If my son still cannot still 'catch-no-ball" about phonics, I will have to be his tool to help him read. I used to read Famous Five, Enid Blyton and Nancy Draw but I only started in P4. There were alot of strange vocab that I had to figure out by myself. Now I visit library every week, borrow a load of books and read to my kid. Have not hear of Lorna Whiston.

Hippo,

Do you know what titles / series primary boys and girls are reading nowadays. What is fashionable?

Back