Any Mommies in mid-late 30s or over 40 with small children?

hi ladies :D looks like im in the correct age demographic and child requirement hehehe

tamarind: you've just reminded me to re-start reading chinese books to my boy! I have the Basic Chinese 500.

Thanks for the well wishes. Am changing plasters and applying Burnaid after every shower/cooking. Have phobia of hot oil, knives, blades. When I was 5, I played with my grandpa's razor blades (the loose sort). I ran one piece against my finger and it didn't cut. So I thought to myself: "The Gilette advertisement is bluff" and so I sliced my finger hard. You know what happened then. I threw away the blade, washed my finger, wrapped with tissue and pretended nothing happened.

I must be the dumbest kid on earth...
sad.gif

Same like how I used to believe that the Kilometrico or Paper Mate pens will light up as like in the advertisements. Or that Lux soap will make a leave not disintegrate if you apply on it and crush the piece of thing.

mumusings

must hurt alot. do take care.

tam

thanks for the link. must constantly remind myself to stay "relax" and not so uptight. the other day, my elder made a comment and i was hurt and sad. she said: mummy, i do not like school. too much to do. Felt like i am the culprit for putting her into the present childcare. withdrawing her now but seems like damage has been done.sigh...... just hope that when she attends pri sch, her love for learning will be rekindled. This is also the main reason why i have registered her in an average neighbourhood sch. I share the same view: if child is good, he/she will be in good class, if child is average, he/she will not be as demoralised.

Hi Tam,

What I gathered is that this school is a very popular school which asked parents to transfer their kids out if their kids are not performing. I find that this is very demoralising for the child.

Yes, I saw that message from MOE website that every school is a good school. I think, the school principal plays the crucial role whether the school makes or break.

Hi Mumusings,

I remembered that I helped my dad at his stall when I was in Pri school. I tried to mimic my dad when he was cutting fruits and nearly lose my index finger under the sharp knief. The cut on the flesh was so deep that it took me quite sometime to heal. Now, still got a small scar.

Hi Ling,
Thanks for the free credits of "naivete"... My scars remind me of all the deliberate mishaps I've survived haha.

Helen,
Just replied your email. Sorry for the late reply, I forgot to check my emails.
Unfortunately, primary schools may not rekindle the love for learning. School teachers expect kids to sit down and listen attentively for a few hours every day. My boy is super happy whenever there is no school. His teacher complained to me that he talks unnecessarily. I told my boy not to talk in class, I allow him to daydream if he has nothing to do. My boy said that teacher also does not allow daydreaming ! Sigh... basically you are a good student only if you sit at your desk, keep quiet, and talks only when your teacher asks you. Our primary schools feel like factories churning out robots.

snowball,
I realized that this is how good schools become "good" : asking weak students to leave in order to make space for the brilliant ones.
I agree with you that the school principal plays a crucial role. My kids' school used to have a very kiasu principal. I heard that a P1 kid was sent back to kindergarten because he could not read in sentences. Now the new principal is much more caring to the low ability students, giving them one to one free lessons. The trade-off is that the school has not produced any student with PSLE score over 270 ever since she came in. But I feel better with her around.

Hi!
I'm 36 this year n my bb is 3+mths... M looking for older new mummies like me. M thinking to hv only this child cos too many negative factors ard me. Feel sad for DD but it may be best...

Hi chocolateteddy,
I like your nickname, very cute. Please feel free to chat here.

It's not easy even to have only baby, right ?

Hi Chocolateteddy,

Welcome to our chatroom
happy.gif
Most of us are older mummies here....I had my DD1 at 35. She is now 6yo already.

I have a second daughter, now 4yo, my DD1's playmate and companion
happy.gif

Hi mommies,
I encountered a "super" mosquito which is resilient to 2 types of repellant ! It disturbed me for 2 consecutive nights, until I smashed it into pieces last night at 2 am. I was so sleep deprived.
I use the tiger brand repellant, as well as a made in Japan one, both are useless. The lone mosquito was so energetic ! Which brand of repellant do you use ? I need to get a new one.

Hi Tam,

I have an allergy to repellants. We simply kill as we see
happy.gif

Last week, a lizard challenged us by squeaking half-hourly for two days at night. Kid finally spotted it when we came home from shopping. It was so scared that it let out a squeak and froze on the spot. Hb whacked it dead and flushed it down the cistern.

Hi Tam,

I bought is cream from China when we were in Guilin last year. Very good for insect bites. Not available in S'pore I guess. Alternative, you can go Chinese Medical Hall to get 上膘油. Its like Axe oil, but effect better than Axe Oil.

mumusing,

It look so yummy!!!

hi mummies,

have been busy recently as we are venturing into Vietnam and I just got back from vietnam on monday!! Now I miss the ice coffee and french loaf!!!

snowball,
Thanks. However, I prefer repellant, because once I am bitten at night, I cannot fall asleep again.

mumusings,
My 武功 not good, took many hours to whack the mosquito.

MRT delays again ! Yesterday I was at Outram, on the EW line, all passengers were asked to get out of one train to wait for the next one. Ridiculous. I thought only NEL affected ?

Diana,
Welcome back. Which part of Vietnam did you go ?

Hi Tam,
I happened to be at Serangoon station but luckily the train came within minutes
happy.gif
I received the alert via SMS which said waiting time is 8minutes. Looks like many people waited longer than that!

Hi mommies,
Bad news : Singapore now has the lowest fertility rate in the world, according to CIA. Our emigration rate is one of the highest in the world. LKY said that "this place will fold up". I am not optimistic about the future. I don't believe that our birth rate will ever go up.

Will you emigrate if you have a chance to do so ?

hihi!!!

I went to Ho Chi Minh!!! Wow!! It is really an experience!! Did I mention that I am working in Nuskin? Vietnam is the 53 country it enter and the crowd and long Q of vietnamese signing up as founding distributor really surprise me!!!

It is really an eye opener for me!!!

O...Selamat Hari Raya!!! and enjoy the long weekend!!!

Diana,
I also thought that Singapore is a good place to educate my kids, especially since it is very important that my kids are good in Chinese. I don't want them to grow up not knowing how to read or write Chinese.

Then when my kids enter primary school, I realized that the schools are incapable of teaching kids to be good in Chinese, and even English. The way they teach English in P1 is to use a very large picture book, with only one sentence in one page. They use one such book per term, and are not supposed to use any other textbooks. This is definitely not sufficient ! I asked the teacher whether I can have a copy of the book, the teacher said that we are not allowed to do so. This completely defeats the purpose of teaching a child to read. How do you teach kids to love books when they have no access to the books ? Imagine a child who does not know how to read before P1, it will take many years for him to learn to read in schools. The only way is for parents to teach kids to read at home, using other books. It is the same problem for Chinese, which has lousy textbooks. Parents who cannot teach your kids at home, or cannot afford to send them to good preschools and enrichment classes, will find that the kids fall far behind their classmates. Then school teachers will tell you that your kids seriously need tuition.

Since parents are expected to teach at home or get tuition, then it does not matter whether my kids are educated in Singapore schools or not. In fact, I find that I can teach Chinese so much better than schools at home. In schools, kids get discouraged by all the streaming and ranking, instead of developing a love for learning.

Our education system is one of the reasons why Singapore has the lowest birth rate and the highest emigration rate in the world. I read that 3 in 10 of the highly educated are emigrating. I am starting to get worried because it may be harder for my kids to find jobs in the future.

tam
i use BUgslock band. but the quality of the band is not standardized. i realised only those really "made in Korea" can last longer. for the bands the company exports to china, the smell is not as strong. the recent batch i ordered can only last at most 2 days. the earlier batch i bought could last up to 2.5 weeks!
now i am hunting high and low to get those made for korea market.

Hi Tamarind,

I hv read through the link you provided regarding Singapore education. We are resembling South korea style of education which I hv watched in the KBS channel. They are also competing to get in to the best schools by sending their kids to tuition centres. I agree with what you wrote, but how is our education system to change when it is favouring the elites? Will a change in government help?

Personally I hv lost trust in our government with the current situation. I don't like our education system as my gal in P1 has started to lose interest in studies in 2nd semester with the sudden increase of homework. The system is killing the kids' interest in learning, and I don't stress her to get good grades but the homework is killing her interest slowly. She tells me she hopes to go back to K1 or K2. How sad is that? In the first semester, she was happy in school as there is not a lot of homework.

Hi moorspa,
I empathize with your girl.  Primary schools are like factories churning out little robots who can sit still and remain quiet for hours in school.  I feel that it is very ridiculous for kids to spend half a day in school, and still have to complete so much homework.  Sometimes my boy had to work pass 11 pm at night.  Teachers  punish kids who cannot complete their homework, instead of teaching kids to love learning, they make them fear learning.

I homeschool my boy when he was in K2 because he was often ill.  My boy was able to learn an amazing amount of knowledge by reading books on his own, and doing small projects which he thought of.   I have not seen any other student who loves to learn as much as he does.  Now in P2, he is always very happy when he does not need to go to school.   My P3 girl thinks that the most interesting part of school is observing how other kids behave.  She says that she learns so much more at home.

Yes our education system is favouring the elites, or anyone who can afford to send their kids to many enrichment and tuition classes.  It didn't use to be this way many years ago when there were no IP, GEP, or foundation classes.  

Yesterday I was watching Talking Point about how to boost the birth rate. Paulin Straughan was on the show.  I fully support her ideas that PSLE should be removed.

my 2cents hor, unless we can do something about the system (unfortunately we can't, can feedback to moe but changes unlikely to happen during our kids' primary school years, IF it even happens), thus I think the next best thing parents can do is to help their kids adapt & work around the system.

If parents show unhappiness, kids can pick up their emotions too. I noticed that when I kept complaining about my kids' previous primary school, my kids start disliking their school too. Things that weren't obvious to them become obvious after I pointed those issues out. So now I'm careful not to complain about their new school in front of them. Skali they want to switch school again, faint! At least they're exceedingly happy in their new school now

Actually not just the education system, there's a lot of tension with immigration policy & transport system too. I guess that's why so many people are migrating? give up lor, since can't change any system or policies. What can small flies commoners do?

moorspa

my dd2 has increased workload after switching school this year. Her homework load is 150% more than previous school. She complained too.

I told her just do whatever she can. Can't finish also never mind lah, not end of the world mah. Usually lower primary teachers not super fierce and allow extension.

And if she really hates doing so much homework, she can always switch back to her previous primary school to continue idling. Or I can homeschool her, even more flexible but I will decide the syllabus. I left the decision to her. She immediately opt to stay in new school without hesitation. I think the other 2 options are even less appealing, haha!

Plenty of homework will teach her the importance of time management, how to prioritize & I tried to help her space out her schedule.

re: migration

yes & no.

No because my parents are old and I want to stay with them during their living years. Clock ticking so every moment is precious with our ageing parents

Yes, I like to keep my options open. I feel that Singapore is too tiny & the world is so huge. Will end up like a frog in a well if we're too contented in that well. So it's good to look see look see elsewhere. Who knows I may still retire in Singapore after enough exploration. Again, it's about keeping my option opens, hehe

Tamarind
you intend to migrate?

Hi Tam,

On Pri school, my DD1's CC arranged for a Pri Sch visit before the P1 regn. The School Principal told us that in P1, they are training the kids to read well as the Principal is well aware that being neighbourhood school, she recognises that many kids cannot read well when they enter P1. They have silent reading time 30 min before the school starts and also online quizes for the kids to do to gauage their understanding ability. I hope that she practises what she preach. This was one of the reasons why we decided to enrol my girl in this school.

Yes, I fully support the idea to scrap PSLE....but, that will be a long way down the road and may not materialise. I think, what is needed now is to revisit the need for GEP tests at P4...is there a need for such "streaming"? I still remember during my time when we had streaming at P3 and those in EM3 were branded as a "hopeless" group and cast away in the E and F classes...I felt very sad for these kids then and always tell myself that I do not want to be one fo them.

Hi Yawn - Good to hear that your kids are happy with their new school. May I know why you decide to switch school for them? They are very unhappy in their previous school?

snowball

I'm one of those parents who prefer grouping kids of similar abilities into same class. It's much more efficient this way. Kids can move at similar pace. Previous school does not believe in grouping kids at all, not even at p5 level. But mixed abilites very hard to teach. Too chim, the slower ones catch no ball. Too easy, the faster ones lost interests. Very hard for teachers to pace the class. And students are not maximising their learning during school hours. It's mostly waiting for each other.

My dd1 was bored stiff in class yet she got scolded by teacher even when she did her own stuff quietly like reading storybooks at her desk. She didn't make noise or disrupt other kids from learning because I told her to show respect to others. However, teachers still expect her to sit & stare (blankly) at white board during lesson time lor. I have to counsel her to adapt (I believe in adapting since I can't change the school's or teacher's perspective) So dd1 devoted her time to helping weaker students. She became very popular in her class after I adjusted her mindset by p2. So it's alright afterall, as she gathers lots of friendship. Her close friends still missed her and called her sometimes even after she switched school. Really sweet kids.

Less of such problem for dd2 because at least she knows how to pretend to be interested during lesson time to get out of teacher's radar. Although she said she look forward to recess everyday because that's the only time it is fun!

That's why they really appreciate their busy-ness in this new school. better to be busy than bored silly in class, even more torturing

snowball,
Yes I also think that GEP should be removed.  It is a waste of taxpayer's money.  Truly gifted kids should be capable of learning independently.  I have seen non GEP students who are able to do well in a subject by learning on their own, without even bothering to listen to the teachers.  Teachers are redundant to the brightest students, who can even teach their peers.  GEP kids should be able to do better than that.  
GEP parents are not educators,  they tend to think that they should cram their kids with advanced knowledge and that they need to be taught everything, which is wrong. The best thing they can do for their kids is to encourage independent learning.

Actually the worst is streaming kids into foundation subjects at P5. These students will most likely enter ITE.  Imagine having their destiny determined at P5.

If the gahmen is truly concerned about the birth rate, they can implement changes very quickly, just like the P1 registration changes. If PSLE is removed, just replace it with the balloting system. MOE has a full page in their website explaining that every school is a good school, and then contradict themselves by allowing top schools to pick students with the best PSLE scores.

yawn,
Based on the recent facts about Singapore having the lowest birth rate and highest emigration rate, our future is very bleak. I don't think anything can be changed.  Honestly, I am also unhappy with the large majority who quietly accepts all these policies which do not make sense.

Tam
Based on my experience, feedback also no use. I spoke to principal & even moe staff. I'm a 'famous' parent in previous sch. That's why I learn my lesson to adapt instead of whining since nothing can be done. 路不转人转, no point being so hung up on something beyond my control. I value my happiness so I rather stop obsessing over things out of my control

GEP or not, independent learning is a MUST have skill set. along with time management & organisation skills. My p2 prepares her own exam. She knows what she needs to cover. I don't sit with her to coach her. Mainly because I'm lazy lah, the earlier they learn to auto pilot, the earlier I can sit back to shake legs mah, hehe

Hello mummies,

Reading with interest on the debate of primary school education. I agree with Yawn Yawn, some form of streaming is needed. Its reality that not all students are created the same, streaming allows the students to learn at their pace but on the flip side it causes bias against the slower students. There is no good for all system.

Immigrants issue: Too much at once. Everywhere is so crowded now. There is really no place to hide. Singapore used to be an idyllic island. Now, because of a person's vision of a vibrant red dot, we have become a super crowded city. I don't even go town or venture into neighborhood malls anymore during the weekends. I hate it when my hb comes home at 8/9pm instead of 7/8pm because of the daily PIE jams. Yes, we are vibrant, but we have become unhappy people.

Yawn,
wow ur P2 girl can auto pilot already. If you come up with a book to teach autopilot, I'll be the first to buy. hahahaha. My P1 girl far from autopilot. Still very baby...
happy.gif

Hi Yawn,

I do agree that with grouping kids of similar learning capabilities for more effective learning. But, I do not agree to explicitly doing streaming - Its too demoralising and stressful for the kids.

Your DD2 is really independent and sensible. I am trying to train my DD1 to be able to plan and go on auto-mode...still a long way to go.

Hi Muffin/ Tam - My hb did consider to retire in Australia or some remote places where we can have a small pc of farmland to work on....I told him that we can only continue to dream unless we strike Big Sweep or Toto first prize (single winner) :p

Hi Muffin - Yes, everywhere is very crowded. Nowadays, I shop early in the morning when the dept stores are opened at 10 - 10.30am and leave after lunch when the crowds start to stream in....even Botanic Gardens have been manifested by who you know.

I guess, Gardens by the Bay will be the next to be manifest
sad.gif

Agree with Yawn,

Similar-abilities kids are easier to teach (provided teacher/student ratio is smaller) as a group and more productive to do so because the teacher doesn't need to be trapped between choices (pace of lesson and depth of concept).

When I was relief teaching, there were weaker students who were put together into a smaller group and they improved tremendously within lessons as there was time to observe and tackle their learning difficulties. There's also no stigma 'cos at the end of the day, they take the same tests as other classes and feel proud doing as well or even better! Also allows for more interaction between teachers and students = better relationship built = more trust = higher level of engagement/enthusiasm.

Btw, I'm talking abt Sec 3 students here. From writing a few sentences/no-idea to being able to write proper/logical essays. Given that kids have shorter attention span these days and more idiosyncrasies, smaller groups are definitely better (for both teacher and students). Just my thoughts.

yawn,
If parents keep quiet, I don't think MOE will even give citizens absolute priority in the P1 registration. Education concerns the happiness of our kids, which to me is more important than our own happiness. Refusing to acknowledge that there are any problems is ostrich mentality, and nothing will ever change. This is also not a good value to teach our kids.

The brightest students are most capable of independent learning, the weakest need the most guidance from teachers. GEP is meaningless, and may be even detrimental to the truly gifted because they think that they are always entitled to special treatment. By secondary school they will struggle when they level off with mainstream students.

mumusings,
Actually grouping students within the same school is already good enough. Streaming the top 1% nation wide and putting them in smaller classes. and giving them privileges such as entering the top secondary schools with lower than the cutoff points, is very unfair to the rest of the mainstream students. The weakest students are the ones who require a smaller class size, not the other way round. GEP screening at P3 causes many parents to start drilling kids by sending them to enrichment classes at 2 years old. Without GEP, PSLE, kids are more likely to enjoy their childhood.

tam

Don't understand what do you mean by ostrich mentality?

Didn't I mention earlier I was so vocal until I was 'famous' in previous school? So I believe I already tried my best to 'fight' for my kids but well... in life, there are some battles you can't win. I'm wise enough to recognise that fact.

I think it's also an important life skill to know when to give up & when to cut your losses, isn't it?

Continue to agonise over something that won't change (after fighting hard of course) is completely pointless. That only makes a person unhappy.

My kids always said I'm a super positive person. And I hope to raise optimistic and cheerful children like myself too.

Anyway, as mentioned earlier too, 路不转人转。 Have to learn to adapt and be flexible when situation calls for it

I'm not against removing GEP. As long as there is constructive proposal on what to do if GEP is removed.

My one & only expectation is don't force kids to stare blankly at white board. Since primary school is compulsory, I hope school should at least make learning fruitful for this group of fast learners & not bored them silly.

So what can be done for this group of children if GEP is removed?

Take them out of school, self study at home because they're capable of independent learning? If that's the case, at least must develop a set of software for e-learning at home.

But what about social skills? Staying at home will undermine their interaction skill. Not good leh

And they can't just show up for psle exam either. Everyone knows that homeschool will kanna penalised during sec school posting.

Putting them together with mainstream is perfectly fine as long each school group students of similar abilities together to maximise their learning during school hours. Don't waste their time in school.

In previous school, students are randomly assigned to classes. I mentioned earlier about the problem with this random assignment.

FYI this is an article on gep by straits time reporter

Gifted scheme is not about hothousing
By Janice Heng
COME Aug 24, all Primary 3 pupils islandwide will sit the first of two tests to enter the Gifted Education Programme (GEP).

The tests aim to sieve out pupils based on their proficiency in English and Mathematics. About 4,000 will go on to the second round, which also tests abstract reasoning, such as pattern spotting. And about 500 will make it into the programme.

Both tests are based on what all pupils have already been taught, says the Education Ministry - which means no preparation is needed.

But that has never stopped some parents from trying to coach their nine-year-olds for these tests. This practice was brought back into the public eye by the recent case of a fraudulent tutor who charged thousands of dollars for such services.

The tutor's lies about his credentials are one issue; there may be genuinely qualified tutors who run similar courses. In a Straits Times report in June, industry players estimated that a dozen centres offer preparation for the GEP.

But the eagerness to get one's children into the GEP in the first place may also be founded on misunderstandings. For a start, some parents seem to mistake the programme as a guarantee of academic success. It is true that most GEP pupils do well in the national Primary School Leaving Examination (PSLE). More than 90 per cent of gifted students score among the top 10 per cent of candidates.

But parents who treat the GEP as a ticket to good grades may be disappointed. It has never been about hothousing top scorers.

In April, Senior Parliamentary Secretary for Education Sim Ann noted that GEP pupils' good PSLE performance reflects the fact that they are drawn from the top 1 per cent to 2 per cent of their cohort.

"However, the GEP itself is not a programme that is intended to prepare children for exceptional performance at the PSLE," she said. "Its goals are to develop intellectual depth, higher-level thinking, and so to nurture productive creativity, among others."

If anything, the programme's "enriched curriculum" means that much less time is spent on covering PSLE-related material.

As a former GEP student, what I recall are lessons on such glorious irrelevancies as Greek myths and the Mayan number system. Instead of drills on past exam papers, we wrote poems and skits.

Parents who want their children to receive rigorous PSLE preparation are arguably defeating their own purpose by forcing them into the GEP.

Granted, the programme does boast smaller classes and, hence, more individual attention. But this too is geared not towards the production of stellar results, but each child's intellectual - not necessarily academic - development.

For instance, a mathematically inclined child may enjoy exploring formal logic, even if the topic never arises in exams. Another might flourish if encouraged in their poetry-writing attempts, even if it has no impact on test scores.

Some parents may thus try to get their children into the GEP because they misunderstand the programme's purpose and content.

Other parents, however, seem not to care about its purpose at all. For them, the programme is a ticket of a different sort - and in this, they are not solely to blame.

The Government and some secondary schools have helped distort the GEP's purpose by according privileges to its pupils.

In a letter to The Straits Times Forum in June, Mr Khong Kiong Seng argued that parents want their kids to be in the GEP because they enjoy an advantage in applying to top secondary schools.

Under the Direct School Admission scheme, certain schools can admit pupils before the PSLE, based on criteria other than their results. Mr Khong noted that GEP applicants are often grouped separately from others and exempted from tests which others must sit.

It is also easier for them to receive the Edusave Entrance Scholarships for Independent Schools. These are given to the top one-third of PSLE scorers who go on to independent secondary schools - and also to Singaporean GEP pupils who meet the Primary 6 GEP promotion criteria and join an independent school's integrated programme. They might thus qualify despite not being in the top one-third of PSLE scorers.

On his blog earlier this month, Workers' Party Non-Constituency MP Yee Jenn Jong identified these incentives as one reason parents clamour to get their children into the programme.

If nothing more was at stake than the GEP's reputation, all this would be little cause for alarm.

But the problem is that parents' perceptions and resulting actions have very real consequences, not least for their children.

A child hothoused into the GEP might not enjoy its more esoteric topics, or might struggle to understand higher-level ones. Worse yet, he might have trouble keeping up with the swift coverage of the national curriculum.

And if GEP preparatory classes succeed (which is a big "if"), they risk turning the programme into the preserve of the socioeconomic elite, since richer parents are more likely to afford this edge.

Whether the GEP's existence is justified is a separate, long-running debate. Some have argued, for instance, that more resources should be spent on lower-achieving students, rather than on those who are already likely to do well.

But as long as the GEP remains, we would do well to recall its intended purpose.

Schools and the Government could help by stripping away extraneous advantages enjoyed by GEP pupils, so as not to distort the incentives parents face. Parents should take a clear-eyed look at whether the GEP will truly benefit their child.

They may have their children's best interests at heart. But perhaps such interests should be defined not just in terms of their future secondary school, but in how much they will enjoy primary school life in the first place.

yawn,
When an ostrich is afraid, it will bury its head in the ground, assuming that because it cannot see, it cannot be seen. Interesting way to avoid the problem. Some of us do too, we are like ostrich. We run away, change the topic or avoid certain people. The ‘ostrich mentality’ is when a person refuses to confront or deal the issues that are facing him, whatever they may be.

I don't agree that things cannot be changed.  If more parents complain to the ministers,  they will have to do something. If you keep quiet, they will think that you are happy and nothing will be done.

You are not an educator, and your only experience is with your kids. So you cannot see the bigger picture.  I realized that GEP parents are not likely to give unbiased views, since they have invested so much money and effort on their kids to get into the GEP.

I have read that article. However, I have real experience with GEP kids, and I even need to grade them. My opinion is that the GEP is flawed and is not worth the effort for parents to change schools. Whatever GEP claims to do, it is not successful.

I am an educator, and education is a very important issue to me.  That is why it is my favourite topic to discuss about. Who is agonising here ?  :)

Kids will not be bored in schools if parents don't send them to tuition classes and cram them with advanced knowledge.  I never proposed that such kids should be home schooled. That is why I wish that schools can do more to develop a love for learning.  Most parents who are educators cannot understand this, because to them learning is primarily to get high scores only, or for boasting to others how advanced their kids are. How many parents have seen a child who loves to learn simply because knowledge is interesting ?

I wrote above that streaming can be done in each school, and this is good enough.  Teachers can also allow kids to learn other things on their own, or give them more challenging work to do.  I think this is already been done in many schools.

muffin,
"Immigrants issue: Too much at once. Everywhere is so crowded now. There is really no place to hide. Singapore used to be an idyllic island. Now, because of a person's vision of a vibrant red dot, we have become a super crowded city. I don't even go town or venture into neighborhood malls anymore during the weekends. I hate it when my hb comes home at 8/9pm instead of 7/8pm because of the daily PIE jams. Yes, we are vibrant, but we have become unhappy people. "

I totally agree with you ! Now I would rather go to the 24 hour NTUC hypermarkt at 7 am in the morning, just so I can avoid the crazy crowds.

I also read a report that Singaporeans work the longest hours in the world. Yet we are ranked 90th in the Happy Planet index.

snowball,
"Hi Muffin/ Tam - My hb did consider to retire in Australia or some remote places where we can have a small pc of farmland to work on....I told him that we can only continue to dream unless we strike Big Sweep or Toto first prize (single winner) :p "

We can take out our CPF after we retire to buy a farmland in Australia, or a house in Canada. Then rent out our HDB flat to foreigners. The rental alone should be sufficient for us to live on, don't need to work :)

Back