Any Mommies in mid-late 30s or over 40 with small children?

hippo, tamarind, rainbow

Errr... Zara got what huh? Mango also clothes ah? Sorry, I very sua ku one! The clothes, suitable for my type one or not? I am over 40, big bottom, and a t-shirt and pants sort.

Want to change my wardrobe, but donno how to do it. Thot of visiting some shops to look see, but also donno what to look for or see! H E L P!

cowandchick

In ngee ann city, next to Zara is Guess. I saw some Guess long pants at $30. size 40 to size 48. very good deal, take a look there

Tamarind

I went Mango yesterday too. Sales still going on. Style wise quite similar although Zara more pricey. I don't buy a lot from Mango or Zara, just a few selective pieces if I find the style fits in with the rest of my wardrobe.

I prefer NESS, GG<5, M)phosis, Arthur Yen. Hong Kong labels or local designer. somehow their style more suitable for me. I used to be a big fan of 2 other Hong Kong labels Wanko and Miss K. Wanko style changes in recent years so I dropped them. Miss K withdrawn from Singapore totally

GAP also having sales. UOB card additional 10% for sales item. I saw a hobo bag $85 after discount only $20+, very tempted but didn't buy lah, because I just bought an Elle hobo bag last month. hehe, I'm still rational, right?

Hippo

Zara sale until when huh? I was at Taka on Monday leh but din go there cos my fren wanted to see Mango sale.

Too bad u din get anything. Try again la. Maybe beginning of the week will be lesser people.

I always find it hard to buy anything from sale. So crowded and the qs are unbelievable! But still if i can pop by i will still kpo look see a bit la... diehard shopaholic hee...

U can also try Body Shop's Whitening facial foam, not bad.

Tamarind

which Gap? I bought some bb clothes for DS, i like their stuff. Another nice place is FOX.

Rainbow

i used Loreal tinted moisturiser bef. No good. Now am using Dermalogica's tinited sunblock. I was trying out tinted ones so that i can dust on some loose powder and good to go. Lazy me...hehe..

Cowandchick

most important is whatever makes u comfortable. As long as its presentable. Thus no need to feel sorry for your own style! And over 40 not the end of the road leh, heck its not even old, u can still make urself pretty pretty leh

Last night my Javan was having fever and diarrhoea again, this is the 3rd time he got fever within this 2 months. How to prevent bb from fever? So afraid of that!!!

cuddles
I heard shisedo not bad...thinking of trying out. Tinted must put on loose powder?I thought no need....

Hippo
Did not go leh...cos boy was down with fever, cough and flu after jab...How is a normal t shirt pricing of zara compared to mango?Did you zoom for the metro tampines closing down sales?

Cuddles
Thanks for comfort. I know, and i feel very comfortable in my sloppy dressing. But sometimes must look a bit nicer mah, for those formal events. Now, I only wear collared Tees and long pants to dinners. Still like so underdressed leh! Buay heow dress-up, so donno where to start.

Take tips from forumers like you and hippo and tamarind. Hopefully don't overdo it.

Most of the shops in town one ah? I dislike going Orchard Road, unless got Kino book sales, heh heh!

Okay, will try looking at Guess, maybe Mango (all along I thot can only eat mango, didn't know can wear also! Aiyoh, so super sua kuuuuuu!) and Gap. So hip the names also!

Thanks all for your tips!

quek

diarrhoea ... try probiotics in powder form. Can get those satchets one like lactoguard / neobiotics from pharmacy. If willing to spend more, can get the live ones from like GNC. Very good. Now i give my kids probiotics on a regular basis. My PD said studies shown taking probiotics helps those will respiratory problems like my kids.

i've heard and seen of gap, zara, mango, guess, etc. but never dare to enter those shops. Cos i dress so sloppy, i think they will see-me-no-up. May wonder what is a maid browsing in such shops for .... bwahahaha.

ZMM

GP gave him lactoguard this morning, take twice daily. What is the name for the probiotics? Take what to prevent fever? Thanks.

Like your "see-me-no-up" and "what is a maid browsing....", me too don dare to enter those shops, me always with t-shirt, 3-quarter pants and slipper.

Hi Hippo2002,

You went to Chomel- me too, all their sales items are S$19...I got 3 work pants, 1 work skirt with embriodery, 2 work blouses and 1 dress...sounds a lot but for S$19 each, still very cheap. I also got a gold evening sequin clutch for S$9- all their gold bags at the Wisma branch going for S$9 each only.

I did not get much from Mango- this season's clothes not very nice...no time to check out Zara yet, but if pricy, really do not feel like buying...

Rainbow

i also dun know, my beautician say use it like foundation wor. SO after i apply, i just dust some loose power on my face lo.

quek

hope ur boy is getting better. Is he the younger one? For the fever, could it be the room temp, eg aircon. Or when u bathe him, close windows and off fan. R u the caregiver or someone else?

Cowandchick,

no need orchard la. The heartland malls can do just fine. U stay Hougang rite, the mall there not bad ma. Else u can venture a bit further to J8 or AMK hub. The latter is new and quite hip leh.

If u are regular size, you can check out shops like Sense, IORA, ella, GG5, shoes - charles & Keith, URS, first. All these available at most heartland malls.

Jurong Point and CWP also not bad. No need to go town. For me I just like to see evthing, and shop anywhere, so regularly go town to update abit.

Quek, ZMM

dun be bothered whether they care what u wear to step in. You r the customer, the one with the money to buy. Even if dun buy, that is still a customer right.

Cuddles

He is the youngest one, he 7.5th mth now. Last night, his temp was at 37.4 - 37.7 in aircon, my elder son and my temp were 36.something only. This morning at the GP, it was 37.4. He is in infant care.

Quek, ZMM

I always wear sloppy sloppy during weekends ...coz wana hv the relaxing feeling since iznt a working day. So far when i entered those shops, nobody gave me those c u no up look even if im only browsing.Anyway as i hv observe, most ppl also wear very causally when shopping.

I see those IORA, and donno what lah, thot for young young people only mah. So revealing clothes on shapely mannequins, dare not enter. Wait salesgirl say "auntie, here no clothes for your type", malu how?

quek, ZMM
Maybe we three go shopping for clothes together -what a fright we give the sales girls!

Cuddles
Sometimes, they see you come in dress like that, think you no money to buy what. So, see me no up lor. Maybe hang $50 notes or credit card on lanyard like the EZ Link card like that, then they know we got the money! heh heh

Probiotics
What are they? Can help in diarrhoea one is it? My boy very prone to diarrhoea leh. Can take regularly? What is brand from GNC? How to take?

Cuddle
Me much more lazy, hope to put on without loose powder, so no need to spend so much time clean it off....I do not like to use make up remover....

Cowandchick
I think its okay to wear simple for shopping cos singapore weather is hot and not winter weather when one can dress so fancifully....

For me, how I dress is also really depend on mood...when the younger kid with me, I will be in pants...For dinner, I will be in dress cos I am a dress person and all my cloths are ever green type....no need to follow trend...but I do like A line dress type.

Rainbow

bingo! I just returned from Metro Tampines closing down sale. Aiyo, crowded too. Managed to grab a pair of Vivi slip-on shoes at half price. didn't try the clothes or bra. didn't want to touch anything that requires queuing at fitting room

everything at 50% off. very good deals!

Fairyprincess

I like Chomel too but they are very low profile, never seen their advert, and don't know where are their other outlets except the one at Wisma. don't even know when they are having sales. happen to walk passed yesterday so took a look. I bought a translucent dress. silk somemore. so worth after discount !

I saw the $9 gold bag, tempted too but couldn't think of anything to match it with. any ideas?

Ya, I also did not know Chomel sells clothes, but since its soo cheap, and simple design and cut for work, I bought a lot!

I figured for the gold clutch, I will just use it for weddings, even if my dress is black or coloured...as the gold is shiny, I should look OK as an accessory...

ZMM, quek

no lah, they won't see you no-up. Zara, Mango, GAP not really top range. I see a lot of teenagers and youngsters during the sales, all in shorts & thongs leh

I need to gather up courage before stepping into shops like Furla, LV, Aigner. I think I have never step into Fendi and Gucci stores before.
Just browse and secretly 'wow! gosh!' when looking at their price tag...if only they have 95% discount, haha!

Cuddles
Zara sales only started yesterday. don't know till when. 1st day more sizes to choose from, that's why so packed because everyone thinks like me
lol.gif

Rainbow
Zara tees from below $10 to $29.90 if I remember correctly

Cowandchick
have you check out Arthur Yen? appropriate for our age group and the range of sizes is wide.

Don noe that Metro closing sales. Cannot go liao, Sat burn bb cannot going infant care.

I always don dare and don like to go to those shop, coz I don like salesgirl following me.

hippo2002

you don know those teenagers very rich one leh! their shorts and tee shirts can be a few hundred dollars even though look like the same kind of garb i wear at home. Their spending power more than mine.

Furla, LV, Aigner .... never hear before. out of reach.....

cowandchick

u very funny! ya ... maybe we should hang credit cards or cash around our neck.

re: probiotics
probiotics is the live good bacteria. also found in yakult/vitagen, but minus all the sweetness. Diarrhoea take very good.
Comes in powder or capsule. I give my kids Solaray Babylife. Must keep in the fridge. About $40+ per bottle. Can take everyday. For kids, just mix powder with their milk/drinks but make sure the drinks is not hot. Warm is ok.

ZMM

haha! I know what you mean. my brother bought a Fendi cardigan for his girlfriend $300. I thought $19 if I didn't see the label.

His girlfriend always branded from head to toe. never shop during sales. Even tee shirts also buy those few hundred dollars type. Aiya, different league.

quek

lactoguard is good enough. As mentioned in earlier post to cowandchick, the live one i bought from GNC is Solaray Babylife. I found that more effective than lactoguard when my baby was down with stomach flu last month.

Prevent fever? Don't know leh. Only know take paracetamol to bring down fever. About 37.4 degree not too worrying yet. More on the warmish side. More than 38.5 must insert suppository.

I told my hubby my fantasy is to walk into a branded shop some day and buy something I like without even looking at the price tag. It's like, hey, price is not an issue

my hubby said NO way. I will still check price tag and only buy during sales regardless of how much money I have. Sigh...he really 'see me no-up'

But I do get a lot of satisfaction from discovering good deals during sales
wink.gif

ZMM
So, no diarrhoea also can take Solaray Babylife? Can prevent diarrhoea? My boy, very kek sim leh, almost every fortnight at least 2-3 days kena diarrhoea. Very watery kind. But otherwise, nothing wrong leh. Must go check out the probiotics you recommend. Now, i give him vitagen, but i find very sweet.

Ya, teenager nowadays very rich. Last time when i was teaching, brot students to Malacca on field trip. Wah, their one t-shirt only more expensive than my t-shirt, jeans, shoes, bag all combined! And they can say very cheap already! Her dad must be in the money printing business!

Teenagers go, then maybe not my kind of clothes. Will try Arthur Yen as recommended by hippo. Expensive or not ah? Where to find? Soli lah, so suah ku is like that one lah!

Sigh, look at nice clothes, feel like buying, but dare not. Don't know appropriate or not. Wait people say so old already still want to be so 'heow'!

cowandchick

try Robinson at Centerpoint, wider selection

Robinson sales should still be on. The last time I went, a few weeks ago, Arthur Yen sales items were around $30 per piece

cowandchick

Chomel also quite suitable for our age group. wide range of sizes too.

I used to wear Chomel in my early 20s but too mature for me then. Now just nice lor. my mom also love this brand.

thanks for all your tips. will check out Robinsons next week. And also Chomel at PS. Thanks again. Hope I can find something suitable.

shampoo
My boy using the Annaku shampoo- i like the smell! I think the organic ones don't have sodium laurel sulphate, but may not be 'no-tears' kind. I heard this goat milk one quite good, but never tried.

Thot johnson& johnson is no tears? I am using the yellow colour baby shampoo on my son,but not sure if it contains sodium laurel sulphate.

cowandchick

no diarrhoea oso can take the probiotics. helps prevents gut related problems.

get a change of image oso can be fun. we only live this life once. so let down your hair sometimes..... i can't cos i hv short hair. 8P

ZMM

u r so right! we only live once. Dun wait until late late then say aiya, I should have worn this... If dun wear now, then wait till when leh.

Cowandchick,

of cos we dun wanna look out of place in some teeny bopper's clothes but exploring is fun. Some shops have ppl from teenage to adults to matured. Anyway, perhaps u can start with the stores first - like Robinson and Tangs are good places to browse.

Hippo, Fairyprincess

nv thot of Chomel clothes. Like hippo says, use to be so popular in the 80's but was not so suitable for our age then. Hmm.. i guess i should start to check out their clothes.

My, all these talk shop make me so itchy to go shopping and buy things! I am trying to control cos will not be on stable income liao and also since not gog office, so many clothes also no use...

Wow so many posts.

<font color="ff0000">cowandchick,</font>
You wrote earlier about your girl like to do worksheets, then in P1 don't like to do. I spoke to a teacher at an enrichment centre a couple of days ago, she said her daughter is not paying attention in P1 and made mistakes, because she has done those work before in kindergarten and now is over-confident. I think I should take it slow with my girl. But it is my mother lah, she kiasu and wants to let my girl do maths worksheets everyday. I told her to limit it to 2 times a week only.

But I think I will continue to develop her language skills, both in English and Chinese, more on reading and speaking.

As for my boy, who is starting school tomorrow, I will just make sure he can follow up with what the school is teaching.

<font color="ff6000">hippo2002, Cuddles,</font>
I find GAP in Singapore very expensive. Once I saw a kid's bag selling at S$29.90, but at www.gap.com selling at only USD$2.99 ! Even after paying shipping charge it's less than S$10. So I still prefer to look for discounts online.

Especially now with the GST increase to 7%, I think I would rather buy online from USA, because no need to pay any tax !

<font color="0000ff">quek,</font>
Sorry to hear about your baby's fever. Hope he is better now. Best to prevent him from getting infected, like getting in contact with other kids who may be sick. Has he got the pneumoccocal jab ? One of the symptoms for the disease is having fever very often, it's better to get the jab to have a peace of mind.

For diarrhoea, best is to stop taking any dairy product like milk.

For fever more than 38.5 degrees, my PD asked me to give Nurofen, very effective in bringing down the temperature.

<font color="119911">ZMM, quek,</font>
Actually Mango, Zara, GAP are not high end lah, don't need to wear nice to go in lah. I only don't like to go into Gucci, Christian Dior, one handbag over $2000 ! I went into Gucci shop once when they were having sales, didn't feel comfortable. Till now I never have the courage to go into Louis Vuitton shop at all. The handbag I am carrying only cost $39 !

brought my kids to update passport photo at Lavendar today
gosh! didn't expect the crowd. choose the wrong day because it's school holiday today. so packed that we can hardly squeeze in, not to mention joining the extreme long queue.

Gave up, went shopping at bugis junction instead. hehe, since we are so near, might as well
wink.gif

Tamarind

I love online shopping too. Bought a Liz Claiborne handbag recently from Amazon, so much cheaper than the retail price here!

The issue with online shopping is we can't touch the item before buying. Can't check condition either. And it's also too costly if we wish to return the item if there is defect

Thanks all for your encouraging remarks. Yes, i will definitely try shopping for some new clothes and change this t-shirt and pants look! Suddenly feel like going out to shop til I drop. My hubby drop (faint) when he sees bills! heehee. But can't yet. Girl at home. don't want to take her out everytime there's no school. Sigh,

ZMM
Ok, will go and get the probiotics from GNC. This is my b'day month, so got discount. Donno probiotics got give discount or not?! Anyone need anything from GNC? Will go sometime this week. Let me know early, early, ok?

Last saturday and sunday diarrhoea again. Don't know why leh. Sat morning ok, then afternoon diarrhoea. Sunday also. This morning ok again. I told my hb our son has weekend diarrhoea! Got such thing or not?

Tamarind
It isn't because she was bored so don't want to do worksheet. She just doesn't like to do work. It's like, when you don't have something, you think it is fun. But when you finally get it, not so fun after all.
When she saw her cousins doing homework, she also ask for work to do. Doing work makes her feel like a "big girl". Now, want to be little kid and play all day long! Hiyah, donno what to do with her sometimes!

Any mommies using any product from The Face Shop?
now having 20-30% discount for quite a number of items

What about Missha?

any recommendation for products from these 2 shops?

Tamarind,

ya.. in USA, GAP is affordable. i rem once a fren who stays in USA told me, GAP is like Giordano. But in SG its not lo. I like their stuff tho.

U mean u buy from their site online? Is it really cheaper?

Both Face Shop and Missha are from Korea...

I am more familiar with Missha- I use their Milky Hair Spray (about S$10) to condition and smooth hair after wash...I use it instead of conditioner- just spray on, no need to rinse...save time for me...

I also buy their nail polish, also very cheap at S$2.90...but nowadays, no time to paint nails =)

Hippo

u also receive the letter abt updating their passport pic is it? So does that mean that we need to update the pic and the passport can last till expire? If we dun do so by Sep, then if custom officer say pic not valid, we cant update but to change the passport rite?

Do you all know that the new passports cant update pics anymore and ony 5 yrs. Made a passport for DS recently. So maddening, bbs face change so fast, so i think by the time he is 2, I gotta pay another $70 to have a new passport!

Seldom shop online.. scared...

Bot the calendular face moisturiser from face shop bef, light but dun feel much effect. Anyway its discon liao. For Missha, tried their facial wash (no good), moisturiser (no good), loose powder (good, still using). Heard their foundation also good. Nail polish is really value.

Cuddles

my younger girl's photo is so babyish, doesn't look like her now. Since we are given a cut off date, so I thought might as well update lor. her passport is also 5 years. Have to make another trip since I didn't manage to update her photo today

GAP is really cheap in US. I bought a few pieces in Seattle. Don't even need to go GAP warehouse. Just buy from any shopping centres. Men pull over only US$16. A toddler zipper jacket US$10. GAP was not in Singapore then so I didn't know it will be so expensive, otherwise I will probably buy the whole shop
lol.gif

after buying Leapfrog DVD online, I am hooked on online shopping. But mostly just browsing all the good deals, so tempting

hi mommies

i've run out of dishes to cook for lunch/dinner. Anyone has any easy to prepare and cook recipe to share here?
I check some recipes on the internet. Either i don't know what that ingredient is or i don't know where to get it. Or too much time is needed.
If u have some tasty and easy to cook stuff, please share with me. Thanks!

Hippo
I was shopping at bugis at around 2plus...

Side track, can I just check with you, you were saying your gal went to a chinese sinseh in another thread....for whizzing...can I know what is the dignose from western doctor....does she has allergy or asthma?thanks

BRANDED SHOP
I just dress casually even though I walked into big shop...I do not care how they look at me...cos am confident...hahaha.So mommies here,do not worry when you walked into it and look see look see...the staff there are only worker themselves what....

Have a good week all.

ZMM
pork floss with eggs.
beat 2-3 eggs, sprinkle some pork floss when the eggs almost cooked, then fold eggs into half. ready to serve

Rainbow
PD said it's sensitive airway. Not asthma.
PD also said whizzy kids likely to develop into asthma when older.
which TCM doctor is your son seeing now? it usually takes a few months. do you see result?

did you get any good bargains at Metro Tampines & Bugis?

Hippo

I have just pm you....

No good buy at metro and bugis ,what about you?

I am actually looking for nice barbie tops for my gal but do not seem to find good buy...anyone here has got good idea where I can buy?

Thanks

<font color="ff0000">hippo2002,</font>
I got the letter to get the new biometric passport for my girl too. I wonder if there is any way to do it online, really don't like to join the crowd.

Yes you are right that returning an item bought online is costly.

<font color="119911">cowandchick,</font>
I have a feeling my girl may end up don't like to do worksheet also, so I must be careful. Sigh...it's so difficult being a mommy right ? My hubby doesn't understand why I am worried at all.

<font color="ff6000">Cuddles,</font>
In USA, there are many brands more expensive than GAP, like Abercrombie & Fitch, Banana Republic, etc.

GAP often has discounts on their website, and it can be a lot cheaper than if you buy in their shop here, even after adding the shipping charge. But if no discount, then will not be cheaper.

My kids clothes are all bought online from gymboree.com
happy.gif
I seldom buy clothes for them in local shops now.

<font color="119911">Rainbow,</font>
One day I was at Takashimaya, looking at a LongChamp handbag. The salesman told me, without me asking, that it costs $400+. Then I looked at another one, he immediately said, "that one is cheaper, $100+ only". Don't know whether I am over sensitive or not, why is he telling me the price without me asking ?

<font color="0000ff">ZMM,</font>
Do you mind ready made sauces ? I have been trying the brand "Brahm", available at NTUC. I tried Rendang, tamarind fish sauce, all quite tasty. Don't need to chop onion, garlic at all. Just put oil, sauce, chicken/fish, mix together and cook, very easy.

Another one is the Ma Po tofu sauce from Lee Kum Kee. Just put the sauce, oil, soft tofu, minced pork, spring onion, into the wok and cook, quite tasty too.

Tamarind
It's sure tough being a mummy. We stumble and fumble, yet have to go on. My hubby always tells me to 'take it easy'. Yah, then when the girl comes back with bad results, ask 'why you never coach her'. Sometimes i wonder why i haven't committed murder!!! Grrrrr....

You can make your passports on line, and then collect it later (3 days, i think). I did my kids' passports that way. Sumbit info and photo online, can pay thru credit card. Cheaper too, i think!
Now i need to do mine coz expiring soon. But can't find nice pic of myself leh. All so old and tired looking!

Online shopping
Only things i ever bot online are books and cross stitch stuffs! How you buy clothes on line?
Cannot try out, donno can fit or not? Mistake how?

Salesmen/women
I also encountered these sales people telling me prices. Worse, once I was looking at some stuffs, can't even remember what. The lady came to me and told me, we have these other range (pointing elsewhere) that is cheaper. Why see me no up? Cannot afford to pay, is it?

ZMM
I cook one pot dish! Heh heh! Just throw everything into the pot, and cook! Meat, vegs, etc. Stew and eat. Sometimes not too bad. Got soup/gravy some more! You may want to try this one:
Chicken, Chinese mushroom, carrots, thin slices (2 or 3). Boil/stew until meal time! My girl loves the soup. quite tasty. Seasoning, i use only Braggs liquid aminos (available from NTUC). It's like our traditional soy sauce, minus the salt and other chemical stuffs!

Hi all,
Have been reading your thread for sometime already but did not post. Hmm, topic getting more interesting.

Shopping
Had bought 2 pairs of Americaya shoes at Bugis, 1 pair of URS and 1 Antonio shoe from OG. Bought 1 set of office wear from Future State. Spend $50 on cosmetic from Red Earth. These are my spending from GSS! Red Earth Cosmetics a very good buy and quite fashionable. They are having one for one for certain items. Not sure if they are still having promo now.

For clothing usually I will get from G2, U2, Dano, Bega. I find that GG<5 range is very nice but waiting for sales. When I went to GG<5 recently, sales person told me their sales just ended early this month. So sad. Went for Zara and Mango sales. So disappointed. Cant get anything. So crowded and fitting room was having such a long queue. Nevertheless, did not spot anything I like. Dun know why when they are not having sales, everthing look so nice. Everthing want to buy. But always tell myself, wait wait. Wait for sales. But Ah Lass!

Anyone got good buy (clothings) from Metro/Robinson/Seiyu? Never bought any clothing from department store. Dont know why. Just felt that style doesnt suit me.

Probiotics from GNC
Have been giving my son probiotics from GNC. It was recommended by Dr Ang from TMC. It was quite effective in the begining. But I dont see results after a while. My son was admitted to TMC due to stomach virus. He kept vomitting but no diarrhoea, infact he was constipation. Had bought 6 bottles during one month when it was my SIL birthday and she was holding membership card.Cowandchick, if you are buying from GNC, you can request some bottles to be collected few months later. Probiotics have short life span of about 3-6mths only.

Back