Advise on Baby & Maid Exps

nellu,
yah. I agree with you. dun think they will send back for good per se. even if they do, hey, maid can just sign up with another "recruiter"...just more hassle only lorh. with so many maids in and out every time, I dun think agent can remember all of them also to know "hey, didn't I just sent you back?" hahaha...

re the video,
think lucky thing my office block you tube website. otherwise, going by your reactions here, I dun think I'd be able to work after seeing the video. shall watch it only at home....

tat maid reali crazy!

i watch abit, i jz couldnt finish watching. nw i felt so sad and feel crying. the child so pitiful!

i'm abt 2 engage a maid 2 look after my 2 kids. hw 2 now....

Hi there,
Anyone can read bahasa indo? need one kind soul to help translate a letter. Pls PM me. thks a million.

That maid @#%$*$#@$#@#$#@!

I hope she will get strike by lightning but didn't die from it!!! Let her suffer! If those were my children, I don't care i'm going to jail man, she sure kena wallop by me!

The video is not longer available.

CSI_Fan, Thank you for your info. I can only hired Indo Maid since my mum can't understand English. Unless the Phil maid can speak dialect or Mandarin.

Hi mummies,

Sigh..I am back again...

My new maid of 1 month just told me she does not want to continue to work with me! When asked her the reason, she said something in Bahasa Indonesia but she could not explain the meaning either in English or Mandarin although she can speak some Mandarin.

I tried to ask her if it is due to too much work load, not enough sleep, not enough rest,all she replied NO. I asked her if she feels that we are treating her good and she can say yes.So, what is her reason for dont want to continue ???

I am so mad with her esp at this time when I have just delivered my baby (2 weeks ago) and now doing confinement. she play me out at the time when I need her around to help me! We have been treating this maid very good since Day 1..I dont scold her at all, let her sleep early even when the work are unfinished, give her good food, bring her out with us, let her call home and her hubby at our expenses...yet all these are not being apppreciated by her!

As my in-laws are old and my MIL needs to help me take care of my elder daughter, they are offering to give her an extra $50 every month to her current salary of $360 ($360 + $50!!), hoping that she will change her mind. I am actually very reluctant to give her such offer esp when she has only worked for just 1 mth!! She may think that she is so damn good that we are making such offer to her. Worse still, she can tell me that she wants to think over the offer!!

I have called my agent (Best Home) and told them what happened. They wanted to counsel her but I told them to help me look for a replacement maid soon cos I think in case she rejected our offer and I need a replacement maid asap.

Question:
As this is my 4th maid within 12 months and I have recieved a letter from MOM previously regarding repeatedly changing of maid, can I still employ my no. 5th maid? I have 2 children and will this make any exception?

Kristen_mum:
aiyo.. why your maid like that. Is this the one that you were saying ex-Msia? I think it's better you get a fresh maid e.g. only work in their home country. maybe then will not be so choosy about work.

These days the maid not sure what they want or not interested in working as maid.

Anyway congrats on yr delivery... I am going to pop the next 2 weeks as well. And hope that my maid of coming to 3 months will not play me out man...

RachelC,

Sigh...really very suay with maids..this is all i can say!

Yes, she is that ex-Msia maid that can speak Mandarin. She is quite ok with her housework although a bit "xiao jie" type. When she was in Msia, she has lots of friends and that was why her hubby did not want her to go back to Msia to work cos scared that she will find a new BF there. I dont understand if she could work 3 years with her previous employer (2 storey terrace, 5 adults, 2 children, 5 cars, cooking, helping in the coffee shop occasionally), how come she could not last long in my house where the work load is so much lighter and salary so much higher!!

She told me that previously she only needed to mop the house 2-3 times weekly, unlike here everyday! She even showed her hands to my confinement lady how rough her hands have become..omg! I think she is abit of those cannot take hardship type of maid!

Wishing you a smooth delivery!

kristen_mum:

My prev indo maid also was an ex-msia. Worked 2 days with me also said dun want to work and want to work in big house and don't want to look after my dogs.

I think in big house, they can eat snake...not sure about ur house

so I think dun take ex-msia... don't know is it employers too relax or culture different.

When the ex-msia maid was with me, she was telling me she wants to pray and 5 or 6 times a day, each time 10 mins and wants to fast. And if she works for me, will I allow her...so I told her no point asking me now, as u r transferring, reserve yr question for the next employer...

I heard from the agency that they have transferred to a big house but not sure how she is coping...

my personal opinion and advise, don't get a ex-msia or ex-dubai... think the houses are big and they are not used to our type of HDB flat I think.

Kristen_mum, congrat to you. Firstly I can tell you those xiao jie maids can't work and can't scold. My previous maid is also xiao jie type. Come for 1 mth plus tell me want to change employ cos my mil always scold her. The reason of scolding her because she is super slow. Think have to get farmer type maid so at least they can take hardship.

Like my current maid, she borrow $ from her auntie and need to pay her sis's nursing course that why she die die want to work. When she doesnt perform well, I told her if dont work tell me I send her home. She cries and tell me don't want to go home.

RachelC,

Mine is only a 5 room flat but my MIL house is a 2 storye terrace that she needs to go over with my daughter everyday when I am at work. Yday I called agent and agent asked to speak to her and I agreed. After a long conversation with the agent, agent told me that my maid said she does not want to work in 2 houses. I was of coz very angry cos we have specifically told agent to tell the maid before we hired her about this arrangement and only if she agreed then we would employ her. Now, she called it quit becos of this reason.

Last night, I tried to persuade my maid to stay. I told her that after I return to work, she need not come back to my house on weekdays so that she can sleep early at my in-law house (my in-laws sleep at 9-10pm) and only come to my house on weekends to clean. With this arrangement, she agreed to stay. So, me and my hubby have to juggle with 1 toddler and 1 baby on our own after work plus some light housework lor.. Really bo bian although I would prefer the maid to be around everyday so that there is an extra pair of hand to help when needed like baby vomit, my daughter refused to sleep, etc..sigh..she will have a better life than me..can sleep early and no need to wake up at night to take care of baby!

Oh yes, we also offered to give her the addtional $50 on top of her salary with this arrangement! See, how fortunate she is working for me?

Maureen
Thanks.

My maid although a bit xiao jie, her housework is not too bad, at least she cleans well and thorough. She can take care of my girl with the basic needs. That is why I was reluctant to let her go.Moreover, I am now in confinement and have been temp barred from MOM in getting my 5th maid until the next few months. Therefore, I just tolerate first until the situation is better then I will decide. I also dont know if my maid will come and tell me she does not want to work again...

I hope the maid that was recorded in the video will suffer her retribution 100 times more than that little helpless child......

These ppl really can disguise....

How can we leave the maid alone with the child??? And yet government is pushing citizens to give birth???? They think we are loaded with gold???? Where to get $$ if we don't work but yet our child are ill treated....

DON'T EVER LEAVE YOUR MAID AT HOME ALONE WITH YOUR CHILD. DON'T BE FOOLED BY HER DEMURE FRONT..MOST OF THEM PRETEND...

So sad....

cutie,
I feel like thrashing that 'monster' upside down, left and right after seeing the helpless gal suffered. Why do it to the small, defenceless gal? Not happy working, just call it quit. When I imaging it is my own gal who suffers likes that, aiyoh really cant imagine, heart dropped.

In actual fact, we employers are at the mercy of the maid hor.

Kristen_mum,
Looks like your maid wants an easy life job....High pay and easy job.

KC,

Yes, we are at the mercy of the maid. I pitied those who has no parents to take care of their child and have to entrust it to the maid.

Putting in childcare will be a good choice but some ppl with more than one child just can't afford it. Hence, getting a maid is cheaper as she can take care of the children plus housework.

Kristen_mum,
Can I know what does your maid do at your MIL place? I think u can plan a schedule for her when she is at your MIL place. That is child care + housework.

Once your suspension with MOM is offlifted, get a replacement and kick her out of your sight.

Kristen_mum:
If I am you, I will let yr maid go. I think more nonsense will come.

If I am you, I will give her another $50 for this arrangement. I feel she is not easy going enough....next time u want her to help more, she will show face and be reluctant to do more. Anyway just hope she will guai guai help you.

sorry I meant to say I will not give her another $50 for this arrangement. And I will go and look for another maid and kick this one out.

It's not easy to handle 2 kids, work and housework.

My current maid is not of those very high calibre. But I think her attitude is ok.

For example, she looks but don't see kind. When she is in the kitchen and the porridge is spilling, she doesn't even tell me. So had to tell her next time have to tell me, if not, she has more to clean.

Yesterday, when my dog came back from grooming her eyes keep on winking and I tot this dog is crazy keep on winking at me or I am exceptionally pretty or I am going to deliver soon. So when I asked the maid what happened to the dog's eye and she said came back from gromming already like that, then I told her then she should tell me so tht I can bring her to the vet...

But those tasks given to her in the timetable, she does it well except those that need to multi task or make judgement call or something more to the timetable, not sure she just switch off or look but don't see.

Like what I said at least better than wicked hearted and bad attitdue maid.. so I just let her be as she will only be helping me in mundane tasks e.g. housework chores, take care of my dog and look after our kids under our watchful eyes e.g. having dinner and etc even when we are bathing, I will put my kiddo in the playpen to play by himself.

anyway just my opinion lah...

Hi mummies,
looking at all the postings made me worried abt getting a maid. Supposed to help us but end up seems like giving more headaches.

my #2 is coming and i seriously need help. #1 will be 18months then. currently looked after by my MIL. She already expressed to us that she doesn't wish to look after 2 kids. And as it is now, I'm doing all the cooking, washing of bb's clothes, bathing & some simple housework before going to work. So her job is simply looking after him in the day. Already feel a bit tired with this arrangement. Hubby has to work later almost every night.

Thinking of the following arrangement but can't seem to find the best solution.

1) Get a maid to help out with MIL eyeing her
2) Send both kids to nanny
3) Send both kids to cc and infant care
4) Send elder one to cc and leave younger one with MIL with or without maid.

Option 1. May means elder one cannot go cc becos may be financially tight. Planning to move house cos current one no space. Would very much like to expose him to learn new things as he learns nothing at home with MIL.

Option 2. Hubby not very keen with idea as worried abt nanny's habits n attitudes. Just like leaving kids with maid alone.

Option 3. Highest cost n also means got to do housework myself.

Option 4.As mentioned. With maid will be a bit financially tight on us. Without maid, means i will have to handle both when i get home.

Haiz... seems like no perfect solution except to be a sahm. Any mummies here who can help me or share your thoughts?

nowadays seem like striking lottery to get a reasonable maid. I've just employed an Indon maid, claimed 23yo but looks like 18yo. She worked for me for 2 weeks and suddenly claimed that her hands are painful and weak. Brought her to see a doctor, doctor said she still has full strength and surprised she doesn't have numbness on her hands. Anyways, she cried and said she couldn't work anymore so I sent her back to agent. At the agent, agent didn't believe her hands are THAT painful until can't work, after the agent talked to her, she eventually said she wanted to go home. So the agent asked me to leave her there for a couple of days to make her think over her decision.

After 2 days, the maid changed her mind, and said she could tolerate the pain and wanted to work for me again. So I gave her another chance. Brought her home from the agent, she was still very cheerful, I thought she really had thought it over and decided to work properly. To my horror, after she cleaned the toilet, she lied on the floor in my bedroom and fell asleep (like fainted). When I tried to wake her, her eyes half opened and kept saying she's very painful, where am i, etc etc. I called the agent immediately and the agent told her she could go back Indonesia, then after another round of sleeping/waking saying she's painful, she eventually sat up. I talked to her and said if her hands are painful, she couldn't work any more, so the agent will have to send her back. After several rounds of persuading, she decided to go back to the agent. When she realised she could go home, she suddenly became so awake, and back to normal, can smile, hands don't seem painful, etc! I think it's all a make-up! The other maids in the agent's place might have taught her all these tricks to gain pity so that she could go home.

Sigh...I really suay...got this type of maid. I thought I had to call an ambulance to take her to the hospital when she lied in my room.

The agent didn't buy her story of course, but no choice, she can't be transferred anymore since she has no heart to work. So agent had to send her home.

When I left the agent's place, the maid could come out to say bye to us with big smile! Haha...she must be thinking that we are a whole bunch of suckers!

babyethan:
There again...engaging a good maid is also a stroke of luck. Some of my friends engage real good maid but somehow I don't have such luck so I make do with what I can live with.

I think our case is quite similiar, I have a coming to 17th months tod and he is with the nanny now and no.2 will be due soon will also go to the nanny. My maid eventually will also go there to help out here and there.

When no.1 turns 2 or 2.5yrs old, I will send him to half day playgroup or just downstair playgroup so that he can learn something. I guess u r better at least u got yr MIL to help out. I guess when the kiddos are still young, expenses will be high...sigh.... I wish I just strike TOTO, as no more shopping, massage and etc for me liao...

BTW, if I am you, I will choose option 1.

Hi Rachel
Didn't notice u r here in this thread. It's me... Eve. Oh... u r going to deliver in 2 weeks time? That's fast.

Btw, can I ask how much is the market rate now for nanny to look after 1 toddler n 1 newborn? Also, how long does the whole process take to hire a maid & what's the intitial payment like?

Dear all,
I would like to share my friend's experiences with maids.

<font color="0000ff">The first Indon maid I had was a transfer maid. P swore she was 21 then, before the rule of age 23 applied. When she wanted to leave after 7 months, she went around telling everyone that she was only 16! And she did act and behave like a 16 yr old. She scared me enough to let her go when she told me that she had "repeated dreams for a week about seeing a woman with a tudung (Muslim head-dress), dressed in white, slitting the throat of a man, and it happened in MY bedroom." (From Maid Power)

Then had an ex-Saudi. So slow and inept in her work that I changed after 2 months. (From Sunshine)

The third Indon maid A had worked 2 years in Malaysia. Spoke good English, but was so dirty and smelly that I had to let her go after 8 months. Pitied her and let her transfer. ( A mistake on my part) (From Sunshine)

Then has a reliable 4th maid for 2 years. Young girl who went home at 24. (From Crislo)

2 horror maids followed. The first one was fierce. If I did not let her go, she might have turned violent like Sonjia Kwok's maid. My husband kept cautioning me to be careful with her. The second declared herself "stupid' 3 hours into her emplkoyment, and asked fro transfer.

Then employed an ex-HK Indon maid who claimed that her employers had migrated to Canada after 8 months with them. Crislo "highly recommended S who spoke Cantonese and worked in a 3storied house, serving 3 adults, washed 4 cars daily, and bathed their 2 dogs." So I thought , good, this is a "good find". Turned out that the ex-HK maid was slow , extremely forgetful at 24, and under declared her height, and could not wash and iron properly, not to say cook. After she repaid her loan, she ran away to the Embassy one Sunday morning after stealing 2 bags of dried mushrooms and my personal file!!

Then 2 more incompetent and trouble causing maids from Crislo. The first let a stranger into the house, and also broke my glass shower door. Also damaged a lot of household stuff. The second kept wanting to transfer, changed her mind and then harped on transfer again and again. So eventually let her go. And that was when Crislo tried to delay my refund of the balance of the upfront loan.

We changed agent. Two other Indon maids came from AUK . The first came for 10 days,and was hospitalised for 2 weeks at SGH for suspected "flesh eating bacteria". Upon discharge, the agent sent her home. This was the most excruciating experience we had with maids. We were frightened for the first 3 days by the doctors that the maid could die any minute.

The replacement from AUK came after 2 months. One week later, pretended to faint from "overwork" at 11am. Summoned the agent to the house and sent her and agent to the GP at 4 pm after the maid was "strong enough to stand with help". All this was pretence. Another week went by, and then she pretended to faint again at 10am. Can a maid be so overworked by 10am? We got the agent over and take her away . Subsequently, I learnt from the MOM maid Work Permit check that this maid was eventaully sent home after 2 months setting foot in my house. I was the 1st employer, lasted 2 weeks with me. Got a transfer. Lasted 1 week. And the third employer must have found her unsuitable as well, and her last day of work in Singapore was 2 months after she started with me.

I am now through with employing Foreign domestic workers, especially Indon. Every horror story that can be told of these Indon maids, I have faced.

Filipino maids are no better. I have had that share too before I engaged Indon.

Some writers in the Motherhood forum have wondered if maids with overseas experience are better than new ones. Others are considering ex-Middle East maids. I have tried them all. One has just to take a chance. But if your luck is as bad as mine, then nothing helps, except do the work yourself, or rely on LOCAL part-time help. I am doing quite fine now.

Be careful when you employ employing ex-HK maids. Sonija Kwok's maid may just find her way here to Singapore as HK does not allow FDWs to return to HK to work. And especially DO NOT employ ex-HK maids who have not completed the 2 year contract there. It just means they were fired for whatever reason. I was conned by Crislo, and she was still pushing ex-HK maids to me after S ran away. (Actually, I checked, and S is back in Singapore, but I do not know where she works. I am still sore that she stole my personal file)

There was another story some time back that an Indon maid seduced a young teenaged boy in HK too.
</font>

More advise from my friend :
<font color="ff6000">
Employers of FDWs should buy at least the Plan 2 of the medical insurance for a FDW. This allows for a hospitalisation &amp; surgical expenses up to $8000. The hospitalisation expenses for the Indon maid I had came up to $6,600. I got every cent back. I bought Plan 2. Plan 1 entitles to only $5000.

I give a summary of the 3 medical plans available (with GST):
Plan 1 Premium $144.45 Medical: $5000
Plan 2 Premium $165.85 $8000
Plan 3 Premium $208.65 $10000

Of course one must also include the runaway bond and the MOM guarantee.</font>

Hi mummies,

we're planning to send my child to cc...but we're not thinking of doing without a maid yet....until we shift house in October. (at least maid can help with packing etc...). So I'm just wondering, anyone in the same situation? Child in CC, and maid is at home. What is the timetable that you have for your maid, while the child is at CC? Can share pls?

Thanks!

Hi mummies

My new maid just arrived last wednesday after my maid of 5 yrs + went home because of her bad habits that i cannot stand. So my new maid of about 20 yrs old (i think so) cannot really understand english, i cannot understand malay. She only can do after i desmorstrate and show her and after broken english which i have difficulty in saying.. Just need some advice,,, will u keep her if this is the case? or shall i get another maid who can speak more english? Thanks for helping and advice.

babycutie

My maid's main responsibility over at my MIL house is housework so that my MIL can cook plus look after my children. Of coz, the maid will need to help look after my children when my MIL is cooking. Now with my no. 2, I have told her that once I go back to work, she will need to spend more time looking after baby (my elder is in morning halfday childcare)instead of housework.

RachelC,
Initially I also feel that she wants an easy life (high pay but lesser work). I was very reluctant to give her the additional money but since my in-laws offered cos they still find her work acceptable and the hassle of changing and training maid all over again, I just agree. My maid now wants to stay after I told her abt the new arrangement (of coz man!) + the additional money. Surprisingly the next day she came and told me that she thought it over and felt bad over the new arrangement and told me that she would work as per normal ie, comes home with me on weekdays. I was surprised to hear that! Anyway, I told her that we would also not overwork her. I will re-arrange her work schedule over at my house on weekdays so that she can rest much earlier.

So, for now I just leave things as it is but somehow I still feel that she would still call it quit again in the near future...just like when she agreed to going over to my MIL house with my daughter during the day before we employed her. Their words cannot be trusted!!

Tulip,

Is your new maid a fresh maid? If yes, you need to give her some time (at least 3 moths) to pick up her English. You can also help her by getting a dictionary with english translation for her to pick up english words. When I had my first maid some years ago, she could not even say "eat" in English so I actually prepared some simple English words that she may need to use everyday for her to learn. I will give a new list of English words to learn after she has mastered the old list. Her English improved a lot after abt 3 mths!

Bear with her first and see how is her attitude. If her attitiude is good and hardworking, language can be taught over time.

ok will see how... what dictionary should i buy - english - malay or english javanese? is there a book whereby only simple daily english sentences?
thanks again

Hi all

Can experience mummies give me some advice which approach to take?

This is my first Indo maid, with us for 20mths. She had been really great and we thot it was a blessing to have her. we had never scolded her and brought her out every where we go on both Sat and Sun!! She started giving us black face after 1 year. it got worse and 6 mths later i finally force the answer out of her. She wanted day off. at first i was thinking of giving her 1 day of per month, but she told me she only needs it occassionally!! We were pissed with the way she did it but thot of giving it to her since she is also a human being and need some free time and her performance had been not bad. after just after one off day, she started talking of buying sexy clothes, highlight hair and even to breach her skill colour to be like chinese. hubby also noticed she now goes to toilet very often and when she comes out, she dont flush the toilet. Not sure if she using her HP (not that we known of she holds any HP and i did tell her no HP on day 1) to sms inside the toilet??? And in less than a month she asked for another day off again! She also started to talk back (on instruction i gave her), more lazy, less attention on my son, etc...

Even with all these unhappiness, we still didnt scold her or give her a black face cos we are afraid she gets the clue and cause harm to us. We have decided to send her out of our house, but we are not sure how to do it.

1. just send her back to agency and only inform her when the agent comes? but i'm afraid she gets angry and come back to harm us if she gets to stay in s'pore.

2. give her one week notice and lied that i've lost my job and hence hv to stop her service. but i would risk that she might run away or steal things or cause harm to us.

Which is a better approach?

Coolmum,

1) Cancel her work permit online.
2)Buy her a one way air tix.
3) On the actual day, give her half an hour to pack. Check her stuff.
4) Send her to the airport. Tell her if she stays, she will be wanted by the police as she has no work permit.

Let her go. Not worth keeping her. WAste energy and $$.

thanks.

but what is the possible risk/problem with sending her back to the agent? I thot this way give her a chance of getting another employer without paying another loan.

tulip,
if you need a malay-eng dict, pm me. I have one to give away, just need to pay me for postage..(bot it when i had an indo maid but sent her off after 6weeks..)

coolmum,

possible risk/problem with sending back to agent:

that's like recycling dirty water back into the system. Give her a chance of getting another employer...would she improve her work attitude? May end up the same, if not worse. Like that, then the subsequent employer "suffers"...another effect can be, subsequent employer not happy with her work attitude etc, scold her or ends up ill treating her, then maid also suffer. Of course, maid can come back in here again to work, but then she'll have to go through all the hassle of getting loan etc again. Sort of like a lesson to her...

wow

is so nasty for the maid to do that to a kid. Though i got a maid that take care my kids, i still install 6 camera to monitor them. As my camera could monitor through internet, so if i am out without a computer, i ask my dad and sibling to help me see online. One day when my maid was talking to other maid leaving my kids alone, my dad called home and scolded her, she was so surprise how we know, so now she behave so much better.

coolmum

you should just send her packing home.... obviously she is up to no good on her off day, why burden another family with a potential time-bomb?

my fren's maid really cannot make it, act crazy, dun obey instruction, screw up the housework etc... ... why? cos she wants to go home, she still have outstanding loan. so... ... my fren told her he will keep her until she clears her loan and send her off to Indo. maybe you will think my fren sucker but he felt that should he "recycle" her thru agent, another family will suffer.

Hi,

Would like to get some advise from the mommies here abt getting a webcam. Any recommendation? Thank you!

annlee

hi i surely would advise you to get one, as maid ready canot be trusted they can be a angel infront of you, and turn nasty once we are not around. Furthermore i now even let my maid know i got video camera so dun test me. I can even record up to 30 days.

hi all
My DS is now 11 mths and getting to be a handful with my parents who cannot manage him. And just found out Im preggy with no 2. Hence definitely need a maid.

Heard so many horror stories. Does anyone have any good agency to recommend and what do we look out for in choosing maid? Thanks!

<font color="ff0066"> Update on my maid issue</font>
Have send my ex-maid back to Indon cause I not willing to pay $1.5K for her surgery here. Plus, I'm too afraid of all the possible complications. Wat I did was give her SGD $350 then my parents also give her SGD $150. Then she's happy to go back. Now currently waiting for my new maid to arrive.

My agent was good cos they also called my ex-maid to explain to her tat it's better for her to seek medical treatment back home cos it will be cheaper back in Indon. The agency only charge me $150 for documentation for the new maid. But *sob-sob* need to pay the stupid insurance all over again. Then for the maid loan, no need to pay any upfront... all pay by monthly installment. *hengz*

Btw, Anyone knows how much NTUC income charge for the insurance + waiver for banker guarantee? Cos the one my agency uses (Tenet Insurance) charges about $278 leh. So ex... haiz...

Damn sianz to go thru all the maid training plus all the pymt again. Really hope maid #5 will work out. Why is it sssoo difficult to get a good maid??!!

dymples,

I undrestand that there is no refund of the insurance for NTUC if you purchase the 1 year plan. There is only refund if you buy the 2 years plan.

You can consider AVA insurance. They do refund even for 1 year plan.

Back