Advise need on whether i should bring my girl to see psychiatrist

My girl started nursery this jan but now my girl is very very attached to me. She started crying whenever she cant see me, i cant even go to the toilet.

She used to be so bubbly n cheerful friendly to everyone but now she is i dunno how to say somehow i feel that she is very scared n insecure.

Nowadays she doesnt even wan to step out of the house, ask her to go shopping, playground, swimming she say no to everything which she used to loved!!

Any advise from anyone would greatly appreciated it. Tks

How old is your gal?
Does she go to school willingly everyday? How is she coping with school?
She is probably going through separation anxiety arising fr the change.
Give her some time to adjust. Find out how she is doing in school from the teachers, and go n peep in yourself. Encourage her to be brave about leaving you.

Hi Blueberries

She is 2yr old. She refuse to go school cries hysterically everytime. Every now n then she will tell me "mummy no, no school ok?"

The teachers told me she is ok at school stop crying in awhile after we left but i dunno how true. Coz when i ask the cousin n brother who is in the same childcare they told me she keep crying make the teacher so angry so they(teachers) dun like her.

She used to be ok when i leave her with my mom but now she only stick to me haiz.

I'm at lost now.

how long has it been since she started school?

My girl had the same issue and cousin taught me a interesting "trick". Buy gifts and distribute to children in the class, as it would improve "人缘", she said. sounds superstitious right? actually it can really have an impact from a "scientific" point of view - when your child's classmates received gifts, they are happy and could be more friendly towards your child, and the gift could be a talking point so it encourages conversation. Lastly, your child could be feeling proud giving out the gifts.

Also prepare gifts for the teachers. Thank them for the effort and trouble to pacify your child as well.

Another thing u could do, is to have someone stay around the school for the first week or so, but keep a distance (maybe just outside the school) and let your child know you're just around the corner.

My child took about 3 weeks to settle down, and would still cry once in a while.

But it seem like wat the teacher say is nt true rite, coz u mention that the cousin and brother say a different things rite? U want to spot check? peek one day to check ur gal out without telling the teacher and see how she is doing in school.

Her class room is upstairs so I won't be able to see anything
sad.gif

Hi,

Sorry, forgot to check this ystdy after my post.
She is definitely going through separation anxiety. Her behaviour is exactly like my gal when I first put her in half-day CC when she was 3.
Actually, your gal is v young to attend school. If she is still reacting to school like this, then you may want to consider pulling her out if you can as it's already almost a month of crying liao
sad.gif
. For your info, I pulled out my gal fr her previous CC when she could not adjust to it by the end of the 1st month and put her in weekly enrichment classes where I can accompany her so that she can get use to the school and the teacher. And then slowly withdraw myself when she is more familiar with the people and the environment.
If you can't or don't want to pull her out, then you need to feedback to the school about what is happening to her at home ever since she started school and tell them that you are v v concerned. Discuss with the school to see what you can do to help her overcome her anxiety. Discuss also what the school can do to help your gal. Ask if you can sit-in behind since you cannot peep in. Position that you are trying to help the teachers manage your gal as well since the teachers must also be v vexed abt your gal's crying. Always think win-win. Talk to parents of other kids in her class to find out what is happening in class and whether they know how your gal is behaving during class. You'll be surprised to know that you can learn a lot from them. Can your kid tell you what she does in school? You can also find out from there. Then must piece the info from the different sources together to see if they gel. Don't be afraid to call up the school and ask when you are in doubt. In fact, I call up the teacher or go personally to talk to the teacher to ask abt my kid's behaviour almost every other day during this initial period, until I ascertained that my kid is ok. Besides wanting to know how my kid is doing at school, I also want to get to know my kid's teachers and let them know that I'm watching lor, so dun try to be funny....hehehe
happy.gif

Lastly, do remember that a kid cannot start to learn unless she stops crying. So if your purpose for putting your gal in school so young is so that she can learn something, then she is not doing it with all the crying going on. This is just my personal view, though there will be people out there who thinks that "Aiya, the kid is getting used to school lah...they will surely cry lor...you must harden your heart lor...they will stop crying when they are tired lah...and some will take 6 mths to settle down lah."

Hope all goes well with you and your gal. Good Luck!
happy.gif

any mummies have good recommendation for a children psychiatrist pls? will be glad if u can share with me your experience with him/her. thanks in advance!!

I agree with michael's method.

Let her bring treats to sch for her frends.

Buy snacks for the teachers as well.

It will build up her self esteem sch

Pull her out of that school immediately.
My bubbly girl also faced issues when i started her at a cc. The stupid bloody CC and their damn teachers caaused it.

My girl also start to be withdraw but only towards stranger and crowded places especially when places with many kids and adult (look like childcare), she will cling on me or my maid, refused to get down even to take photos or walk. Even see a doctor she also afraid now, all these happen after we sent her to cc.

Are you able to take her out from school for a short while and meanwhile reassure your dd that she's not being abandoned? Very small children may feel insecure and she may also be too young to understand why you need to send her to childcare.

i think if u can afford to keep your daughter at home, better not to let her be traumatised if she's really unhappy with school. or ask her if she prefers another centre?

my adviced: something bad happened in school. my friend work in school before, and did observed how other children behave, some will become a bully, but the teacher will side the bully, if the child is CUTE! =_='' and the victim will be ignored.

hmm, i guess it takes time for her to be familiarise with new environment. not too good to be too attached to you cos it won't do her good in the future.

Back