Advice on Myanmar Maid

Thanks! I checked with united channel. They told me $522 with off day for experienced maids. Each off day to deduct $18.

I've been to maid agencies.
Bio data indicated experience Myan maid, completed 2-year contract, serviced one employer asking from $500 per month, weekly off or alternate week off.

They want to be on par with filipino pay scale. Some Myan, although in Sg for 2 years, their English is still equiv to Indonsians.

I came across 1 Chinese Myan transfer maid, a good catch if she's married. The idea of I can sms her in Chinese, feels good in terms of good communication!

Hi I am looking for a Myanmar maid... What do you think of Perfect Team Agency in Katong Mall? A really nice gal Zhar was very helpful in helping me get one.... any experience with this agency??? Tx!!!

Mummies,

Anyone has a copy of the translated house rules to share?
Had engaged a Burmese helper. Agency is doing the paper work now.
Many thanks!

Leia,

Thanks for your advise. I will check with the agency if they have any copies to furnish
happy.gif

Hi,

I am also looking for a Myanmar maid and if u have any good Agency to introduce. My current maid want to go back as she miss home so I have no choice but to let her go. She will be finishing her contract in Sep so I have to start looking for 1 now.

Please PM me. Thanks in advance.

By the way, anyone use Top Maids Agency before? Any review on their service?

Hi Winter,

Can you PM me your recommended Myanmar Agency?
I've using Indonesia maid - phobia already. Philippinos - I may not be able to handle them
sad.gif

yday I 走宝, 1 Eng/Chin speaking transfer maid taken by 1 HK employer... so sad.

Hi, anyone send her Myanmar maid to any English couse? Mind to share?
Really have a hard time to talk and understand what they trying to tell.

My maid will be going back in a week's time.

I'm very happy and hopeful. I know it will be tough but still.

My maid can work. But she has no fear of me, can see from the standard of work she gives me, not even half of what she does when hubby instructs.

She can even speak reasonable English now.

I guess the only good thing about her is she has not stolen from us.

Btw, the exchange rate at peninsula plaza is at least 700 now. Just brought maid to send money as I'm sending her home.

They do send to postal address. However waiting time can be half hour with no queue.

For those who have Myanmar maids who went back for home leave, have they met cases whereby their officers requested money from them?

I sending my maid back for good this weekend but I would still like to do what I can to safe keep her salary. So if there are such cases, I can inform her so she can make a decision to remit back the money 1st or carry it on her person.

Personally, though I was angered, upset and stressed by her attitude and sloppy work, when I think about how they could lose their salary through their authorities or through the family,I always feel bad for them.

Normally, how much cash will your Myanmar maid on hone leave carry with her?

My maid says she needs at least us$30 to travel from Yangon to Mandalay by bus but she lives further than that..

Hi
My maid just went back and came home from home leave. She carried a few thousand Singapore dollars on her body and didn't lose any. No officers asked money from her. My personal take is , it is not as unsafe as we think it is.

Hi, I sent my maid home just last month. I tolerated her laziness, self centred, selfishness for 1 year if not for my baby. In the end she said wanted to go work for others after I was angry with her for subjecting my baby to micro-oven radiation for 6 months! She went to tell my sister maid that she rather look after dogs (which is her fear) than to work for me. You would never know what they think. No need to feel sorry for them. I fulfilled all my responsibilities as an employer to her and treated her well. I even subscribed to Burmese Christian digests for her to read.

Guess what, after being so prideful that she's a Christian she kept my clothes, sweets and chocolates and stationeries in her drawer.

I will still feel bad if she loses money though I tell myself to harden my heart. But if it's not so dangerous for them to carry cash, then I decide how to go about this since new circumstances came up.
i can understand how you feel. My maid is exceedingly selfish and lazy, plus nonchalant about breaking my stuff or causing hurt to kids due to negligence plus argumentative to boot and my mil who has frequent contact with her agrees.

she tell me a lot of lies too, from housework to how she came
from Myanmar. She said she took cruise down from her hometown to Yangon, but I already had my doubts because whether village people can afford it. Then agent said she took bus down.

Yesterday I "persuaded her" to go home and rest though I have aready purchased her air ticket because she seems to be frequently unwell, then she admitted she can miss menstruation period for months. Maybe I am very kiasee, but if I had known that, I wouldn't have kept her for so long. This is an indication of healthy issues. maybe I should be thankful she's not a superb liar but yesterday after she agreed to go home, she told me she took bus fRom her hometown to Yangon (even tell me price is$30 from Yangon to Mandalay for most comfy bus ride with aircon and meals, I know coz I check on internet) then tell me can take taxi (list price again US$50) from Mandalay to hometown. So she lies to get what she wants and maybe playing on my sympathy when she said cruise previously because we did brought her along with us to Malaysia once for a vacation.

Maybe because she has an innocent face, i'm still wavering between making it inconvenient for my family to facilitate her return or just tell her to pack and sent her to the airport when I know she's not so innocent. But I still fear for her, because she's pretty and young so even more risky for her to return alone.

Hi Tinklestar,
If she managed to come from her home to Singapore in 1 piece, don't worry about her youth and looks, because obviously she has the survival skills for that. I advised my maid to take internal flight from Yangon to her hometown but she took bus instead coz it is cheaper. These maids are not as vulnerable or innocent as you think. They can protect themselves much better than us.

Hi mommies here,
I just had my 3rd child last Dec and have no choice but to hire a maid. I have my mom helping me out during weekdays but her leg is having problem so I have to get a helper.

Got this Burmaese maid a month ago and last week, she is caught playing with my boy at the stove fire while my mom was cooking soup.

Her background
- fresh new helper - no prior experience
- university grad in History
- had been teacher for 2005 ~ 2013

I am still thinking if I should give her a 2nd chance to stay on.

Can the mommies here with MM helpers share with me
- what is the usual Myanmar culture? playing with fire is normal???
- is it normal that my maid just stand in the kitchen and in a daze? Normal that she watches me like a TV? saw the floor is dirty and not clean?
- normal for us to keep repeating the to-do-tasks 3-4 times and she still doesn't do it?
- paste her worship (monk) photo in her own bedroom window

Previously I had Indo maid before but wasn't this hilarious. I just want to learn more on Myanmar culture before I give up on her.

Please share your experience with me. Thanks alot!

Hi kerene (kerene), in Myanmar, they use charcoal to cook and not open gas fire. So not sure if she knows the difference but still, no reason for her to be playing. I never allow my helper to use the fire while she is taking care of my children. I also told her that my kids are not allowed in the kitchen when someone is cooking. I set those rules to prevent such incidents from happening coz you really won't know what funny things they can do. And trust me, they can do things that you can never imagine.

If she is a university graduate, she will have a hard time accepting and beheaving like a real helper. That is why I personally won't hire someone with a high qualification coz they have never really done the job and sometimes they just can't fit in or understand what their roles are.

If they are hard core Buddhists, it is normal that they paste the monk's photo. But if you don't like it then you can tell her to remove it and just keep it somewhere. She can take it out when she needs to say her prayers.

Language might be a big problem for them and that could be the reason why you have to repeat yourself for many times and things don't get done. However, some of them will just pretend or act like they understand you but they actually don't. Sometimes, it is also hard for them to catch our slangs and our accent. So try very simple English emphasizing on key words and keep your vocab really simple.

I hope this helps.
happy.gif

Dear all, need some advice:

If I want to send my maid home when the 2 years contract is not yet due, can I cancel her work permit myself then buy her an air ticket and send her back? Need to go through agent or need to inform them?

Pink daisy,

No need if you do not need to get refunds for loan or insurance. I just send my maid off. However, do note that u needto have air ticket particulars to cancel work permit. Usually approve within a day on MOM website.

If your maid is likely to give you problems, I do suggest you go through agency though.

Hi tinklestar, thank you for your reply. If she owes me $$, how? Can I send her back to agent and agent will pay me the $$? Currently she still owes me 2K and I am supposed to deduct this amount from her salary until November. But she is giving me problems now and so I am thinking of solutions to deal with her. One option is of course to change her but am worried cannot get back the 2K which she still owes me, so any idea what can I do?

Pinkdaisy,

Do you have a agreement signed with her on the loan?

If you have then its better for you.

Some methods:
Deduct directly from salary. But check on MOM website how much you can deduct per month. Get her to work on off days. Even if you don get the money directly, at least u don have to pay

Convince a new agent to take up the loan and pay you. But quite unlikely because agents also dont want problem maids.

Counsel her that you are unhappy with her. Tel her you are holding more salary because she has been giving you probkems if the amount she repays u per month is less than her salary

It really depends on how serious are the problems she give you. The solution also depends on if shes a vengeful person.

Unless you can tolerate the problems or convince a new agent to take up her lloan, you will have losses. Even if you tolerate her, you might still be losing financially if shes damaging your stuff etc... consider your priority and then decide if its sufficient to make sure she goes before end of contract

Or if u can convince another maid to take up her loan. I believe there are maids out there who lend money at a fee. But how legal is it im not sure. I think individual lending is fine.

Hi all,
My Myanmar maid will be going back on home leave end of this year. Which airline does your maid usually take to go home?

Hi yayoi,
I sent my MM maid via Jetstar and it cost me $190 for SIN-YGN one way.

What i did was I went to changi airport site to check on the departures flight/airline to Yangon and from there I check online air tix prices.

Hope this helps.

Good morning!
thanks for all the sharing here. I just want to share with you my 2 BAD experiences with the Myanmar maids I had!
- 1st maid played with fire with my 6yo boy & I sent her back to agent --> saw agent's adv on her past 1-month experience with me and its all untrue - this maid merely stands still & watches me like a tv instead of helping my kids to school as advertised. And agent even puts my maid did daily marketing! well ... its a benefit for me as I don't have to pay so many days of food+lodging to agent. But this OPENS MY EYES on what good liars agents are when it comes to transfer maids.
- 2nd maid came and in less than 1 month she STOLE my husband's COINS! worse of all, the agent made untrue statement that my maid has SGD when I called agent to ask them check on the origins of these SGD coins.

I can't trust the agent anymore and don't think I should return the maid to agent because
- agent can get new biz with my returned maid
- maid doesn't feel remorseful (not even saying SORRY to me) when she admitted stealing after I pursue the $-matter on 2nd day
- maid may get bolder and more experienced in 'know how to steal' from next employer

Finally I lodged a police report and sent the maid back to Myanmar. With her thumbprints taken in MOM, I doubt she will be able to return SIN for employment.

Mommies,
I really hope we all could stand united and not let these bad maids circulate in the Singapore market which puts other fellow mommies at risk. I can't describe to you how STRESSFUL and DEPRESSED i was during the past months with problematic maids. I don't have a maid now as I'm having phobia.

Please, write to MOM to leave a record on these maids if they are not in the right state of mind to work.

Being FDW employer in SIN, we are not protected at all
- MOM protects FDW
- agency agreement protects agency
who protects me? I forked out thousands of dollars and all i got is stress + disruption in work and life.
All we want is a helper who can let us work with a peaceful mind and be home playing with kids.

If you have been through all these, I would like to urge you to meet your MP to highlight on the lack of regulations now.

I've gone to meet my MP, asking him to write to MOM to highlight that current regulations doesn't protect employers. There is education to FDW that we can't ask them to clean high-rise flats windows (I'm fine), but please also educate these FDW what are the consequences if they abuse our kids/elderly, steal or did illegal actions.

Although talking about a 6-week old new Myanmar maid, such maid's problem/behaviour will surface more often and it can happen to any nationality.

You give FDW a room out of goodwill (be it as tiny as a storeroom, it is still your private space), you wanted your FDW to feel at home, have some privacy or be welcomed, you may have to pay a high price for your kindness. With the mandatory off days, allowing FDWs to seek pleasure and fun outside at the expense of employers .... employing maid will be a headache. If maids are sensible and responsible, it is alright to let FDWs take a break. Maids are easily led astray and turn bad ... too gullible or they flew to Spore with evil intention? They deserve sympathy?

FDWs tend to use excuses such as human rights, it is not wrong to find love in Spore, etc .... I will direct the starter to these problems - the filipino FDWs. They misused their rights, repay nice employers with problems, abused employers' kindness and trust. Most people know filipino FDWs are quite vain and demanding. They are liars but they felt they were forced to lie, nothing wrong to use some white lies to secure a job and make their unfortunate employers face the real them - a person who is seeking love/sex or pleasure, using FDW as a disguise. Can you stand your FDW bringing man/men into your house? Do you allow your house to be a brothel?

A maid who has only worked for 6-week is so daring, who knows if that was her only man. New maid can do this, what about those who are in Spore for months or years? What's happening behind your back, you don't want to know? Also, do you know that first man/men will come to meet the maid, then they may force your maids to do something else like steal the employers valuables in the name of "LOVE"? You never know in some situations it can also end up as a murder case. Have you forgotten about the water maid who was killed by her lover?

To those nice people, have you ever thought about all these consequences? If this is your maid, can you tolerate such a person and give her the rights to find 'Love'? If you're a maid, you felt you CAN hurt or betray your employer's trust? You don't feel you are doing the wrong thing?

>> My blog
Man in 6-week old maid’s room, The New Paper, 11 Sep 2013
When she woke up at midnight on Monday night, the family dog was licking her legs. She got up and saw it running to the maid's room, sniffing and pawing at the door. Sensing something was amiss, she opened the door and saw a man underneath the maid's bed. The maid wasn't in the room.

"When I saw him, I was scared to death," said the 78-year-old woman, who wanted to be known only as Madam Rose, in Mandarin. She then called her son-in-law for help.

Other than the maid, the only other person in the house was her 86-year-old husband, who is bedridden after two strokes.

It turned out that the man was a foreigner, allegedly brought home by the family's Myanmar maid. The maid, who had been working for the family for six weeks, denied knowing the man, who is believed to be working near their Bukit Timah house.

Madam Rose's son-in-law, who does not live with them, told The New Paper on Tuesday that he and his wife rushed to the scene. The 46-year-old declined to be named as he does not want to risk more unknown persons coming to the house.

He recounted: "I quickly opened the door of the maid's room, shined a torchlight in and found him there." He then left the room and sought to keep the man in there. Using his body weight, he pushed against the door and called the police. On the other end, he felt the man pushing back and trying to force his way out of the room. "I also heard him talking to someone in the room, I think, over his mobile phone. He may have been calling his friends for advice," the son-in-law said, describing the unknown man as about 1.75m tall.

"I just caught him lying under the bed, I didn't know if he was armed. I wondered, 'Is he here to visit the maid or is he here to rob?'" In the meantime, his wife, who is a doctor, had to stabilise his father-in-law as he seemed about to go into shock. The son-in-law added that he was unsure how long it took before police arrived, as his main concern was to keep the struggling man in the room.

When the police arrived, they asked him to come out of the room, said Madam Rose. "He knelt on my living room floor, crying and saying he was sorry," she said. After being questioned, the man was released. It is understood that no offence was committed.

Madam Rose's son-in-law said the family had previously smelt cigarette smoke in the house, which they found suspicious, but the maid denied having any relationship with men.

Yet about two weeks ago, a man who sounded like he was from Myanmar repeatedly called the house and Madam Rose's mobile phone, he said. The son-in-law recounted: "We confronted her about it and she begged us to let her stay, but this incident crossed the line." He added he informed the maid agency yesterday morning and the maid is now with the agency.

He declined to name the agency as he did not want to hamper any resolution of the situation In the 20 years the family has employed maids, this was the first time such an incident has occurred, he said. He added that the family would have to get another maid to look after his father-in-law who suffered his second stroke in December last year. They are depending on home nursing for the time being.

"We're trying to keep this low key and let it pass. Now, we just need to secure the house as much as possible."

Last edited:
I just got a Myanmar maid this week. Are there mummies out there that send their maid for English lessons? And do you allow them to go to church? Also, my maid is young and a little inexperienced. I wondering how I can improve her cooking skills when she can't really read English when I pass a cooking book to her ! Thanks!

I think it is inevitable that many families would still have both parents working because of the high living expenses in Singapore. Unless you are staying with your grandparents, the other and only solution is to hire a maid to take care of our young children.

I am a very concerned mum who will worry about the safety of my child, and difficult to have my trust on a FDW in the house when there is nobody at home. I came across to a friend of mine who recommended me to get a basic security plan at home. In the end I have gotten a IP cam for live viewing of my young boy at home, a door sensor at the main door to know the time my maid goes in and out of the house, a motion sensor in my boy's room so that I can receive notification when someone enters his room and prompt me to view the IP cam footage, and a socket adapter so that I will know if my air-con, TV and computer are switched on or not in the house.

The company who install this system provides good service and support. The price of the system is very affordable around $700. I am still considering to add in more devices for better security. You can contact the company at [email protected].

Hope this information will help those with safety problems dealing with their maid.

What reasons to give to reject helper many times request for a photo of her taken together with your child? Maid ask for it now that she is leaving home..she did not finish contract but we still maintain good term with her,.came from myammar where her town is prone to flood and tsunami type..her uncle is a monk..

I think I have enough of my maid already, she got attitude problem and yet always said is my mother's fault. Whenever my mother points out to her on what thing she has done is incorrect, she cannot take it, always argue or gets angry. And when she is angry, she will refuse to take dinner that day. I think she is too proud, has high pride, cannot take criticism. She never once said she is sorry. Once my friend saw her taking my son to wait for school bus at the bus stop, while crossing the road, she did not hold my son as she was talking on the phone. When I confronted her, she denied doing it totally. I dare to say that I have treated her well. She dun need to cook n yet she gets to eat all the delicious food my mother cooks. she has a room of her own n dun need to take care of my baby at night. She goes to sleep at 10pm and wakes up at 6.30am, I wakes up even earlier than her to go to work. She washes our clothes using washing machine and my mother also helps her with some of the housework. She is having a good life here and yet she is dissatisfied. I feel like sending her back home instead of allowing her to transfer, can I?

I think I have enough of my maid already, she got attitude problem and yet always said is my mother's fault. Whenever my mother points out to her on what thing she has done is incorrect, she cannot take it, always argue or gets angry. And when she is angry, she will refuse to take dinner that day. I think she is too proud, has high pride, cannot take criticism. She never once said she is sorry. Once my friend saw her taking my son to wait for school bus at the bus stop, while crossing the road, she did not hold my son as she was talking on the phone. When I confronted her, she denied doing it totally. I dare to say that I have treated her well. She dun need to cook n yet she gets to eat all the delicious food my mother cooks. she has a room of her own n dun need to take care of my baby at night. She goes to sleep at 10pm and wakes up at 6.30am, I wakes up even earlier than her to go to work. She washes our clothes using washing machine and my mother also helps her with some of the housework. She is having a good life here and yet she is dissatisfied. I feel like sending her back home instead of allowing her to transfer, can I?
Of cos u can... Just go to mom website to cancel her work permit n book an air ticket to fly her home. As long as she has no outstanding loan, employers can choose to send maid home. No need to inform the agent at all

Agent said if I want to repatriate the maid home, I will have no replacement from them as replacement means 1 to 1 exchange, is this true? They said that if I allow the maid to be transferred to another employer, I will have to allow her to go to their agency everyday for 21 days from about 11am to 5pm so that she can be interviewed by walk-in employer, alternatively I allow the maid to stay with the agent and pay them $15 a day. In any case, during this 21 days, I still have to pay the maid her salary. If after 21 days, she still cannot find an employer, I have to send her back home. So I am thinking why should I go through all these trouble? I should just send her back home straightaway to minimise all trouble and expenses right? I am doing her a great favour by sending her back home since she has not been back home for 6 years, am I being cruel to her?

Agent said if I want to repatriate the maid home, I will have no replacement from them as replacement means 1 to 1 exchange, is this true? They said that if I allow the maid to be transferred to another employer, I will have to allow her to go to their agency everyday for 21 days from about 11am to 5pm so that she can be interviewed by walk-in employer, alternatively I allow the maid to stay with the agent and pay them $15 a day. In any case, during this 21 days, I still have to pay the maid her salary. If after 21 days, she still cannot find an employer, I have to send her back home. So I am thinking why should I go through all these trouble? I should just send her back home straightaway to minimise all trouble and expenses right? I am doing her a great favour by sending her back home since she has not been back home for 6 years, am I being cruel to her?
It depends on ur contract with the agent. If u still want to get replacement from the agent, then u'll have to follow the conditions in the contract. I forgo the replacement from an agent n went to get a new maid from another agent. I sent the old maid home n cancel her work permit myself. The maid's work permit is under employer's name so it's employer's choice whether to send maid home or return to agent. The only thing is like in ur case, if u still want to get replacement from current agent then no choice have to follow agent's contract condition

Back