Advice needed from Pet-owners: Is this a cruel decision to make?

mysimplelife

Dear all, not sure if any one of you is in similar situation as me. Desperately seeking opinions cos’ I really do not know what to do.

You see my HB and I have adopted a pet dog for about 6 years now. As first-time dog owners, we learned how to care for a dog and over the years became very attached to her. Everything was fine until I became pregnant. Strangely a few months just before my due date, my dog developed some infection around one of her eyes. We brought her to our regular vet and were given some medication for her. Soon after that I delivered my baby but my dog’s condition just went downhill. Her infection got worse despite being put on medication and soon the infection spread to almost her whole face. We brought her to see 4 other vets when her condition still did not improve. It’ been 8 months and we have spent close to $2k on consultation, medications and skin biopsy yet nothing is conclusive (vets can’t find the root of the problem). Caring for the dog is also talking toil on us now that we have a baby in the house. My dog needs oral medications and cleaning of wound on a daily basis and we are also afraid that our baby’s health is jeopardized with a sick dog in the house. My HB recently brought up the option of putting our dog to sleep. I know it is a cruel thing to do and the pro-animal camp is going to come down hard on us if we do that but please share with me what you think you would do if you are in my situation.

Simple Life, have you tried contacting ASD and explaining your situation to them? Perhaps they might be able to find a good foster family who don't mind taking care of a sick doggy. Personally I couldn't bear to put down a dog who is not terminally ill but that's just me and I'm not condemning you in any way. Have you tried Companion vets? I've heard they are very very good... my sister's mutt had a heckuva lot of health problems too and she goes there - must say that the treatment has been very effective so far. Hope this helps.

I agree with Catz. We go to Companion and a friend once said it simply, if you wish to save a life, go to Companion!
I agree its stressful, when there is a baby in the house that needs all your care and concern and yet, you have a sick pet to attend to. Yes, ASD is helpful, I have never contacted them but have heard that they do good work. What about friends and family, do you have anyone to assist at this point ?

Catz, we've seen so may vets that we have lost our confidence in them. In fact some of these are highly recommended by dog forums and we went to them because of good reviews. After seeing and hearing so much, we are convinced that there is no clear diagnosis and treatment for my dog's problem.

Mary Anne Wee, unfortunately at this point, we couldn't find any family members or friends who can help out. It pains us to let go of our furry friend too afterall we've had her for so many years but I might go with your suggestion to try Companion.

Though my dog is not considered as terminally ill, her skin infection is quite severe and she has been wearing a collar for 8 months now. We can see that she feels uncomfortable but if we start removing the collar she will start to scratch herself. My HB also thinks that our dog is suffering this way.

Hi simple life, I agree with Mary Anne, give Companion vets a try first. The vets are radically different from most vets and they've helped my sister's mutt after she was butchered by another vet. My sister's mutt was on a collar for the longest time too... what to do? In fact, she kinda got used to the collar :p

Simple Life,

Do give your doggy a chance. Like what you already said, this is a stubborn skin infection but not terminal illness. Just do think over carefully as pts is not an easy decision and i fully understand your situation, coping with a baby and a doggy that needs special care. What breed is your dog? Do try out the vet recommended by others first and from there only decide.
Also you can consider placing your doggy with an experience dog sitter to nurse him back to health if it is too taxing for you to care for him now.

Simple Life,

Don't ever put a dog to sleep cos it's like aborting a baby.The feeling is unbearable really.Do find other alternatives ok.Let the dog live as long as it can live & pass on naturally.

hi simple life

i chanced upon ur thread n understand the stress n emotional roller coster u n hb beening through now. what exactly ur dog infection is? no vet can diagonise? which vets have u been to already?

so i suppose ur dog is now 6 yo? is she in pain? do u think she is suffering? did u mention to any vets abt considering put her to sleep? what are their comments?

As a dog owner, I understand your dilemma. I can see that you are trying to seek the best treatment for your dog, but you feel helpless at the same time as it's really very taxing on you and your family. For me personally, I can never bear to do that to my dog, who is my best friend. Animals have feelings too. Though your pet may be in discomfort, but nothing beats the feeling of being abandoned when you are sick. Unless your pet is terminally ill, I think perhaps a better alternative could be to hire a maid to take care of the household or to put up the dog for adoption to a good home? In the meanwhile, try out the vet mentioned in this thread. Who knows? Your dog's condition might improve.
happy.gif

When I was a puppy, I entertained you with my antics and made you laugh. You called me your child, and despite a number of chewed shoes and a couple of murdered throw pillows, I became your best friend.

Whenever I was "bad," you'd shake your finger at me and ask "How could you?" -- but then you'd relent and roll me over for a bellyrub. My housebreaking took a little longer than expected, because you were terribly busy, but we worked on that together.

I remember those nights of nuzzling you in bed and listening to your confidences and secret dreams, and I believed that life could not be any more perfect. We went for long walks and runs in the park, car rides, stops for ice cream (I only got the cone because "ice cream is bad for dogs" you said), and I took long naps in the sun waiting for you to come home at the end of the day.

Gradually, you began spending more time at work and on your career, and more time searching for a human mate. I waited for you patiently, comforted you through heartbreaks and disappointments, never chided you about bad decisions, and romped with glee at your homecomings, and when you fell in love.

She, now your wife, is not a "dog person" -- still I welcomed her into our home, tried to show her affection, and obeyed her. I was happy because you were happy.

Then the human babies came along and I shared your excitement. I was fascinated by their pinkness, how they smelled, and I wanted to mother them, too. Only she and you worried that I might hurt them, and I spent most of my time banished to another room, or to a dog crate. Oh, how I wanted to love them, but I became a "prisoner of love."

As they began to grow, I became their friend. They clung to my fur and pulled themselves up on wobbly legs, poked fingers in my eyes, investigated my ears, and gave me kisses on my nose. I loved everything about them and their touch -- because your touch was now so infrequent -- and I would've defended them with my life if need be. I would sneak into their beds and listen to their worries and secret dreams, and together we waited for the sound of your car in the driveway.

There had been a time, when others asked you if you had a dog, that you produced a photo of me from your wallet and told them stories about me. These past few years, you just answered "yes" and changed the subject. I had gone from being "your dog" to "just a dog," and you resented every expenditure on my behalf.

Now, you have a new career opportunity in another city, and you and they will be moving to an apartment that does not allow pets. You've made the right decision for your "family," but there was a time when I was your only family.

I was excited about the car ride until we arrived at the animal shelter. It smelled of dogs and cats, of fear, of hopelessness. You filled out the paperwork and said "I know you will find a good home for her." They shrugged and gave you a pained look. They understand the realities facing a middle-aged dog, even one with "papers."

You had to pry your son's fingers loose from my collar as he screamed "No, Daddy! Please don't let them take my dog!" And I worried for him, and what lessons you had just taught him about friendship and loyalty, about love and responsibility, and about respect for all life.

You gave me a good-bye pat on the head, avoided my eyes, and politely refused to take my collar and leash with you. You had a deadline to meet and now I have one, too. After you left, the two nice ladies said you probably knew about your upcoming move months ago and made no attempt to find me another good home. They shook their heads and asked "How could you?"

They are as attentive to us here in the shelter as their busy schedules allow. They feed us, of course, but I lost my appetite days ago. At first, whenever anyone passed my pen, I rushed to the front, hoping it was you that you had changed your mind -- that this was all a bad dream... or I hoped it would at least be someone who cared, anyone who might save me.

When I realized I could not compete with the frolicking for attention of happy puppies, oblivious to their own fate, I retreated to a far corner and waited. I heard her footsteps as she came for me at the end of the day, and I padded along the aisle after her to a separate room.

A blissfully quiet room. She placed me on the table and rubbed my ears, and told me not to worry. My heart pounded in anticipation of what was to come, but there was also a sense of relief. The prisoner of love had run out of days. As is my nature, I was more concerned about her. The burden which she bears weighs heavily on her, and I know that, the same way I knew your every mood.

She gently placed a tourniquet around my foreleg as a tear ran down her cheek. I licked her hand in the same way I used to comfort you so many years ago. She expertly slid the hypodermic needle into my vein. As I felt the sting and the cool liquid coursing through my body, I lay down sleepily, looked into her kind eyes and murmured "How could you?"

Perhaps because she understood my dog speak, she said "I'm so sorry." She hugged me, and hurriedly explained it was her job to make sure I went to a better place, where I wouldn't be ignored or abused or abandoned, or have to fend for myself -- a place of love and light so very different from this earthly place.

And with my last bit of energy, I tried to convey to her with a thump of my tail that my "How could you?" was not directed at her. It was directed at you, My Beloved Master, I was thinking of you. I will think of you and wait for you forever. May everyone in your life continue to show you so much loyalty.

A Note from the Author: If "How Could You?" brought tears to your eyes as you read it, as it did to mine as I wrote it, it is because it is the composite story of the millions of formerly "owned" pets who die each year in American & Canadian animal shelters.

Anyone is welcome to distribute the essay for a non-commercial purpose, as long as it is properly attributed with the copyright notice.

Please use it to help educate, on your websites, in newsletters, on animal shelter and vet office bulletin boards. Tell the public that the decision to add a pet to the family is an important one for life, that animals deserve our love and sensible care, that finding another appropriate home for your animal is your responsibility and any local humane society or animal welfare league can offer you good advice, and that all life is precious. Please do your part to stop the killing, and encourage all spay & neuter campaigns in order to prevent unwanted animals.

Jim Willis 2001

simplelife,

I understand that u and ur hb decision is as such for the love of ur baby.

but i like to share wif u abt my dog.

I bought Cola, a shih tzu when she was abt 3 mths old in 1997. She was a miniture and she was only the size of A4 paper even she is an adult dog. She was diagnose to have fit / epilepsy a life time medicial condition after she pass 1 yr old.

Vet told me tat she will nt live to her full lifespan of 16 yrs but mayb half of it. Thru out her living years, she will have fit on and off and usually last days. her fit attack if serious can be a few time in day. As such, she is on life time medication to control her condition.

When she was about half her lifespan, she got a very serious attack and we have to put her on drip and send / fetch her daily to the vet clinic for abt a week. But we refused to put her to sleep. in fact, this may sound silly to some, but i leave the decision to her...i told her, "cola, if u are really tired and do not wish to hold on, it is ok, u can go. We will be ok." but she survived.

She lived pass half her lifespan, which to us is a mircale. In our heart, she is alway our little fighter. She live to witness my ROM, customary and the birth of my boy. In 2008, when my boy is abt 5 months old, finally she took her last breath.

During the last few moments of her life, her condition worsen. Beside her fit, her skin condition also become very bad, to the extend tat we will itch if we carry her. During tat period of time, she withdrawn herself. she do not wan to be carry. she look sad. me and my sister took turns before she die to tell her again tat we know she is suffering and if she cannot take it anymore it is ok for her to stop fighting coz it is paining us more seeing her suffering as she was so skinny tat we can say she is left with bones.

to us, she live in our heart. she may nt answer us, but we know she alway understand wat we say. we know she is worried too when my son is hosiptialise for jaundice etc.

none of us see how she took her last breath. coz she choose to go when no one is home.

It's a tough decision,
but what will you want your kids to do for you when you are old?
That's what your furpal wants you to do now...

sunflower2001,
I had a furpal for 15years,
when I'm pregnant with #1 in 2003,
so many people asked me how am I going to deal with my dog,
I asked them "how you want your kids to deal with you in future?"

She went thru with me even after the birth of #2,
she passed away 1 month before our #3 is born.

To you, it's a dog,
to your dog, you are it's everything!

Don't own a dog if you are not ready to commit to it till it's lifespan ended...

<font color="0000ff">hiz lengleng...totally agree u..!!

especially "To you, it's a dog,
to your dog, you are it's everything!"

itz sooo true...kudos kudos..!!
happy.gif

it muz have been really heartbreaking when ur furpal left...i had mine for 7yrs n when he left i cried like crazy...can't imagine if he had been with us for 15 yrs..!!</font>

hi lengleng,

me too, i totally agree with you..

my beloved furkid has been with me for 10yrs..
He has been diagnosed with severe heart enlargement. This really break my heart when i get to know this.

The vet told me that he has a very very week heart right now and he could not afford to have a single fainting episode anymore. Becos if this happen his heart will stop permanently.

Simple Life,
Many of my friends and family keep asking me to let him go. but deep inside my heart, i couldn't really give up on him. I keep telling myself that he will recover in full soon.. So, I hope you will not give up also..

dou dou, so sad to hear this. i also have a doggie. he's been with me for 4 years now. hope he will be with me for many more longer years

i have a cocker and she is gonna be 2 yrs soon. just had a baby, he is 4month plus now.

intially during preggy, hb wanted to let doggie go. adoption etc. saying bad for bb. he was the dog lover in the first place. felt very pressuered and did ask ard but i still couldnt bear to let her go.

now, hb complaining her fur on our floor tho we have a maid to clean the floor everyday - how was bb goiing to crawl? getting pressured again.

I have the phobia of seeing my dog pass away in my house on the cold hard floor. I am so afraid that I cannot take that sight again.

my 1st dog passed away on the kitchen floor after visiting everyone in the house...as witnessed by her footprints around. now with my 2nd dog, he is also old but the thought of him dying like that is also heart wrenching...

is this the only way we can see these loved ones go on...?

I have 2 dogs, furry kind..and before I was pregnant, my inlaw side already not happy with my dogs, when I got pregnant, everyone, even my neighbors told me to give away...I asked them back, how to? They have been with me for the past 10yrs...how could I give up in them just because we are having a baby?

When I delivered, I was away for 2days...my dogs ran away from the house in search of me,...they have never done so before and this further cemented out relationship. I can't live without them and vice versa. And thank God they were found hours later.

Everyone is against them, and talks on the fur as usual goes on till this day. Even my Hb starting to complain about their saliva etc...but good thing is my baby who's now 10mths old loves the dogs too and definitely will not want them to go.
My dogs are not as healthy as puppies, with skin problems and tummy problem etc, but all these could be solved!

Crawling on floor, hands dirty, just wash after...toys drop on floor, just wash..these are the things that even without dogs in the house, one need to do right.

Immunity grew stronger each day with the help of the dogs...my Hb who used to be badly asthmatic, didn't really have an attack these days or after we have our pets. Seriously...I can only say the dogs improve our lives, not the other way round. And I hope my baby will continue to love them, play with them, they even allow her to pull tail,poke eyes...just so much love for each other. I can only say this is the very first lesson they are giving my baby, respect and love one another.

To fellow dog owners and mummy to be, do not give up. Do not listen to what others say...it's not stubborn but go with your heart. It's the very first lesson you are giving to your baby.how many are as fortunate as us to have both pets and baby in harmony?

It's really pressurizing when we r pregnant n everyone is asking us to let go of our pet dog. Our dog is juz like our kid who needs our love n care too.

The next thing to do is to create a bond between the dog and ur baby...when everyone sees your baby and dog getting along soooo well, that will more or less shut them up. My11mths old simply loves my dogs! They are like her playmates.
happy.gif

I agree it's pure pressure when your family keeps asking you to give up the dog. I'm trying to get pregnant now and everyone is asking me to give up Bella, my furkid. No way I'm going to do it lor!

Back