Advice: How to increase breastmilk amount?

Jia You.
happy.gif

Go rest NOW!!!

hi mommies. need advise to EBM storage. Have been to many websits but all have different timeline. i've inverted nipples so initially was using nipple shield to breastfeed as advice by TMC LC. however, my daughter Esther whose 2 weeks old now will sleep on the breast easily. so in the end to prevent her from getting hungry easily, i've pumped n feed through bottle.

Currently i'm pumping abt 5hourly and each time about 180 to 200ml (total from both breast). Each time i feed her about 90ml to 100ml (3hourly interval).

I need to seek advise on storage for my EBM. Now i'm storing all at lower fridge (heard can keep up to 2 days).may i know if within 2 days not consumed, can i shift it to the upper compartment to freeze it or i must discard it?

Also, to store at upper fridge, the EBM can be kept for maximum 2 months only is it?

Lastly, if i'm going out with her, how should i store my frozen EBM now how soon to utilise them?

wei: 5 hrly is 2 big a gap, should pump 3 hrly if you are not latching on at all, or else your supply may drop.

Yes, you can shift the milk to the freezer if not consumed after 48 hrs. Yes, frozen milk is recommended to store for 2 months, though some said can be up to 3 months.

Once you remove the forzen milk from the freezer to the lower fridge or room temp, it will start to thaw, and you must use the thawed milk within 24 hrs. If you are going out with your dd, you should thaw the milk first, then bring the thawed milk out in a cooler bag. If the milk is frozen, you wont be able to thaw it in time for your bb to drink.

jiayi, thanks for advice.

just to check, usually how long do you keep EBM in refrigerator? try to check through the many website n found that mostly say 3-5 or 3-8days. however, was told by thomson medical center lactating nurses to keep for 2 days max.

becoz, currently i'm trying to keep most of my pumped EBM in the refrigerator as i heard freezer some nutrients will be lost. however, worried about storing time.

I keep for 48 hrs which is the recommended. I personallly don't think we should store in fridge longer than this, maybe the most 3 days, which occasionally I did. Those website that says can store more than 48 hrs is usually fridge that's v cold n only use to exclusively store bm.

Yes, frozen bm will lose some nuitrients, so try to pump today's milk for consumption today or the next day. Extra just keep in freezer for emergency. There may be days your supply is not as high, then can use the frozen one.

hi

i went back 2 work in Jan, since then, had blocked duct (part of breast become harden) twice...first round really painful when pressing on the hardening part & recovers within 24 hrs...second time, can feel the hardening part but nt tat painful, managed 2 clear it within 10 hrs...

went 2 TMC parentcraft the first time i had it, they advises mi 2 massage my breast regularly so i did tat but it still came back...so i called them they say just hve 2 keep on massaging...

i'm at lost, cos it came just suddenly, now i'm back 2 work & when it came, beri uncomfortable, & it nds time 2 clear it...so can't really concentrate on work...

so wondering anybody can advise mi how 2 prevent it...i knw the frequency of pumping & feeding drops when return 2 work but if tis hardening part kept coming back, i really hve stop breastfeeding...
sad.gif

hi leng leng

ever since i kana the first time, everytime b4 i pump, i'll massage my breast, then while i pump the other side, i'll massage the affected breast b4 pumping again...

oni when bathing i din massage it...tks, will massage when i bath aso...dunno will it come back again...
sad.gif

now massage till sometimes i feel my breast like bruised feeling...especially when let down came...

hi mommies,my bb eats EBM when i work. may i know is there any diff bt EBM n FBM? why my bb doesn't like EBM? it seems that he can tell the diff.

Hi mommies,

My bb is now 4.5mths old. been on total breastfeeding. As I am currently not working, am taking care of him on my own.

Baby can latch very well from birth, engorgement and good supply since day after delivery.

However,
Recently for the past mth, i noticed a decrease in my milk supply. Baby had been latching well, on 3 to 4 hourly feed in the day and 5-6 hours sleep at night.

Started pumping my milk for storage when baby is 2.5mths but since 1 mth ago, i noticed a drop in the amount i pump, my breast is no longer leaky and no more engorgement, took fernugreek 2tabs 2 times a day but does not notice any increase in supply. For the past 1 wk, i had increase my fernugreek to 3 tabs/3 times a day. but supply does not seem to be increasing, my breast still does not feel full, no leaking....
sad.gif

My target is to bf my bb till 1yrs or if possible 1.5yrs old... but now he is only 4.5mth and my supply seems to be dropping.
Help!!! Any advice out there?

Don't worry, it's normal that you will stop feeling engorged n no longer leaks cos ur body has adjusted to produce the right amount of milk for bb. I am still bfeeding my 14 mths. So long as bb gains weigh then ok.

hi mummies, would like to check is it normal that for direct latching bb e.g. every 2-4 hourly, then pump out e.g. 30 mins after latching, the yield will not be alot?

my bb is 2 weeks 4 days old now... my yield 30mins after latch is only 30ml... will it increase in time? i dun really want to pump now since i latching on bb every 2 hourly in daytime and 2-4 hourly in nighttime depending on bb waking up... but i hope to build a stash of supply from next month onwards...

pls advise... thanks...

nylek,
how much water are you drinking a day?
Need to drink at least 3L,
2L for ourselves, 1L for BM production.
happy.gif

mummyjoy,
try sleeping more, sleep when baby sleeps.
happy.gif

hi leng leng,

i drink around 2 litre (red date longan + soups + milo + milk) per day...

actually i'm puzzled that baby can be satisfied with drinking every 2 hourly since my supply is so little only 30ml... i latch on baby ard 40-45 mins in total... but if feed bb via bottle... bb can take 100-140ml... why is there such big disparity?

hi mummies

i've breastfeed for 6 mths le, now my bb starts 2 bite mi using her gums...it's hurts...any way 2 resolve tis or i really hve 2 stop BF le...

pls advise...tks..

haha... pinching nose... good one!

i see... thanks... actually just by latching on bb, by right i should meet bb's demand unless on a growth spurt?

my bb seems to be in growth spurt today, demanding feeding every 1 hour... e.g. latch him on 10 till 1030, then demand feed again at 11. Tiring!

Btw, any advise when and how should i start building up milk stash for returning to work? i'm returning to work on early jun.

nylek,
even on growth spurt, it'll be enough,
supply = demand

Eat well, rest well, sleep well,
drink enough water too.

JIA YOU!!!
happy.gif

hi leng leng

tks 4 yr tip...pinching nose...gd one..hahaha...now i'm so scared 2 latch her on...afraid she'll bite mi...shall try 2nite when she bite mi...

thanks leng leng...

tonight was very stressful... baby seems to be super hungry... latch him on-off from 730 till 930 then in end i took him to side lying position so he fall asleep w me while suckling... tired!

Anyone can help me?

I have been trying to latch my baby on for 40 mins to an hour each time she's hungry and she can only stay quiet for 15 mins after the latch before wanting milk again! No choice, have to supplement with formula milk, but wont this upset the supply = demand principle and not signal my body to increase milk production?

Have tried fenugreek and motilium but no increase of milk supply was seen at all. Every 3 hourly pump can only yield 40ml of milk.

I am desperate for solutions as I really wish to breastfeed my baby totally one day without relying on formula milk.

Velle,

Firstly u might not be latching on properly hence ur gal might not be getting enough. she might be sucking for a long time, but not getting the neccessary amt. That was what happened to me. If need be, u have to latch longer. don't supplement, just keep latching. I know it is very tiring but that's the only way. For me i gave up latching aft Day 5 and expressed all the way. Managed to bf my son for 14 mths on EBM. but u have to be disciplined. min interval btw expressing is 3hrs. Meaning in a day u have to express a min of 8x. yes, u have to wake up in the middle of the night too.

Good luck!

Bear,

I have tried expressing every 3 hourly during the day and at least once in the middle of the night, but the yield is still 40ml.

I have approached a lactation consultant before and there was nothing wrong with the latching.

It seems that I have done everything I can but nothing seems to work in increasing supply.

Velle (lingelle06),
did you drink enough water?
Need about 3L of liquid intake daily,
did you rest enough? When BB sleeps, you sleep too.

HTHs,
Leng Leng
happy.gif

Hi mummies,
Need some advice on pumping milk when I return to work next Monday.
My boy is 11 months and I need to pump abt 200 ml of milk for him. 70 ml for making his cereal and the rest for nanny to feed.
I only manage to pump 120 - 140 ml both sides each time.
My working hour is 10 - 3..
Need opinion on what time I should pump my milk?
Is it better to pump before my work and after work or I should pump ard 12.30pm and one more time when I return home?
I am SAHM for now and I latch baby every 2 hourly. But now if I pump 4 hours interval will it affect my supply?
My boy still latch 2 hourly throughout the night, I'm afraid he wont have enough milk if my supply drop

Does anyone have the same problem:

After starting baby on solids, milk supply drops, so now I pump 2/3 of what I used to pump in office, even though the number of pumps/ feeds remain the same.

I am wondering if I should take some drastic measures to up my supply, like slot in extra pump sessions somehow. I am trying fenugreek, but seems like not much use for me.

When my MIL feeds baby, she seems to use more milk than I pump, so I am worried eventually I will used up my stored supply.

Can anyone advice?

Hi mummies.

I have a preloved Medula Pump in style breast pump for sale. Bought online in Jan' 2010 for $599. Warranty valid until Jan' 2011.

FYI, I felt it was worth the money spent as I didn't have much breastmilk and the hospital grade pump really helped get as much as I was able to produce. Have happily managed to feed my boy BM till now. Stopping cos returning to work.

(http://www.firstfewyears.com.sg/warehouse/list.htm?pid=15)

Condition: 9/10
*Hospital-grade breast pump/all parts in working order*
Price: $ $399 nett

Includes these items:
* GR8X Inflatable Breastfeeding Pillow
* New design shoulder bag
* Battery Pak (8AA batteries not included)
* 4 collection containers & lids
* 2-24mm PersonalFit Breastshields
* Breastfeeding Information Guide
* 2 valves
* 4 membranes
* Instructions

PM or sms me at 9680 1400

hi mummies,

i have a bottle of GNC Fenugreek selling at $20(usual $29.50)
self collect at redhill or dhoby ghaut mrt station.

can sms me at 98361962

Hi mummies,
Latch more often and have to pump atleast 4-5 times a day to empty the breast. So that the new supply will builtup again. More fish & papaya soup really helps. Gd luck

Hi Ah Ching,

Eat fish and drink more water. Boil fish soup with papaya as well (must boil longer and make sure the soup is thick).

My child is going to 8 mths in end of this mth. I'm still able to pump out 1.8l per day (pump 3 or the max 4 times a day depends if I have errand to run outside or not).

I pump every 6 hours. My child is train since 6 weeks old for reducing his night feed. And not waking up for feeding since 10 weeks old.

Hi mummies,
I have not been latching on since my baby 1st month old... expressed is the only way to keep milk going.. together with calcium and magnesium... 10 months and keep going...

Hi, i have returned to work after a long 7 months break and realised that my supply drops a lot (now only pump 30-40ml 2 breasts from 100ml at home), and due to meetings, i don't pump that often. I have been taking fenugreek but don't seem to have any effect. Any advise? I do want to try to breastfeed my daughter till 1 year old.

Hi Mummies,

Motherlove products helps amazingly in increasing milk supply. I tried the capsules form and it works wonder for me. Now I am left with the liquid form bottle brand new, unopen which I dont need anymore,so thinking to sell it away. Anyone interested? It is called the More Milk Plus Alcohol-free Tincture 2 oz. Bought at $39.50, willing to sell at $32.

Posting this in a couple of threads cos I'm quite pleased with this recent find.

I found that fenugreek tabs and nursing teas helped increase my milk but are really quite expensive. Found a shop at North Bridge Rd (722 North Bridge Rd) which sells the herb in its natural state - first time I bought, it was only $2 for 50 grams. Good for quite a few cups of tea. Owner (Encik Wahab HP97341700) is very helpful and will teach you how to brew the tea.

I just bought a second round from him today. He also recommended "black seed" to me, also to increase nursing amongst other benefits. I will try it and post results here or somewhere in the forum for all.

Hi just to follow up on my 15 Dec post.

When I came back to work after 3 months ML, I was averaging about 100-150ml per 15 min pump. About 2 weeks ago, suddenly ss dropped to about 30-60ml for the same pumping time.

With some luck, lots of latching and LOTS of fenugreek & black seed tea, this week, I'm back to averaging about 110-130. This morning 200ml in a 15 min pump! Hurray! I feel like a prized freesian cow who's won a blue ribbon !

Back