2nd baby?

so there are many concerns for mummies to have second or more children...maybe this is part of reason why the birth rate is low.

feel that its a long term plan to have children.

Hi mini
yeah, I also find myself being impatient with tory and scolding her when all she wants is for me to play with her... but at times I find myself tied up with work, errands, housework... And after she goes into her "sad" mode, I regret lor.. They really need a playmate their age to share all those 'silly' games with.

Hi bluesea,
Yeah, women are strong creatures...but hor, at least you have someone trustworthy to care for. Most of us are willing to ferry if we have someone good to care for our children.

Hi Gisele,
the infant care so ex. Is there any gov subsidy?
u can consider employ a maid if u going for 2nd one.

Hi hoshi5,
Think we can't be so negative abt 2nd one. If there's somebody trusted to take care of the children..why not have one sibling for yr gal?

hi barney
the rate is after subsidy. i dun trust maid so will never leave my kids with maid at home alone. i might quit my job if i'm lucky to have a second one though i'm making more money than my hubby now. i'm not sure really...just pray for a miracle.

hi linda
u need not worry about age gap. i've 4 sisters and i'm closest to me elder sis who is 8 years older than me. i always look up to her for advice.

Hi Gisele,
hope yr second one coming soon. U can also consider babysitter instead of infant care. Some babysitter have yrs of experience..can even take care of yr elder one. The cost is cheaper.

having 1 kid to me in not enough. I believe should at least have 2 cos in case they need each other for support in the future
happy.gif

I agree with (loveumummy), though it's not uncommon for couple to have just 1 kid, i don't think it's ideal for the children.

Of course, more kids mean more burden & responsibilities for the parents. But, it's thru' siblings (be it rivalry or positive companionship) that many valuable lessons and values can be imparted.

Just my 2 cents thought.

Good that lovemummy has resurrected this thread. And like many of the posters here, I'm amazed there're so many weekend mummies here! None of my wife's and my circle of relatives and friends is a weekend parent. I do know of a vendor who puts her kid at her mum's place, but that's about it.

My wife and I believe in staying close to our kid, who is 7 months old. Both mums are still working, and there's a nice daycare centre where I work, so we have been using the centre's services for the past 3-4 months. It's a fetch-and-send routine for us daily. He sleeps in the same room as us at night. Of course, our parents do get to see their grandson on weekday nights and weekends.

Our kid isn't one who's easy to take care of -- in fact, my colleague called him a high-need baby. Indeed, my wife and I have had to withstand his tantrums and all. Still, it's extremely rewarding to see him grow. Just the other day, it suddenly dawned on me that he could almost sit upright on my arms and has started to move his head, observing things around him. At that time, it felt just like the day before when he had a fragile neck and we had to support it with great care! Life is tough for us, but we're taking it in our stride. Even as I type, I'm down with tonsilitis and flu. However, seeing that cute kid smiling at me just blows any unhappiness away!

Despite the difficulties in raising this kid, we plan to have a second one. Perhaps not now, but say, 1-2 years later. We're not high-income earners, but we'll get by. As for the third one, well, we'll see how things go!

I am a new mum to an almost 3 month old baby. I am going to be a SAHM. My HB and I made plans for this when we got married. We bought a smaller flat, decided not to get a car, etc. Of course, financially its tough, but we are already planning our 2nd one! I hope I'll never have to be a weekend mummy. I'm sure its really tough for you mummies out there who have to be.

hi barney2006..

maybe it's common as my hubby is not looking forward for a 2nd second...simply said that he has enuf stress with 1 baby hw to have 2...dono where he got the stress frm as most of the time i m the one looking aft our baby...he doesnt tink of the future at all...man...alway tink short term..for long term plan..they are useless...may not imply to all man but my man is like tat..

hmmn maybe i side track abit... my son is already coming to 1 yr old and I just started my new job 3 mths ago.. My personal thinking is now is like not a good time to plan for a 2nd baby as its "doesnt look good" if i preggy after few mths in the job then go on maternity leave a yr later...

What u gals think? Tho I dun mind having 2nd baby soon

zoki,

alot of other factors to consider beside job. personally, my main concern is age...

it's a good idea to start planning to have 2nd baby once u r settled down on your job. also depends on your job scope. if it is not physically demanding, being pregnant will not affect ur job performance. just have to plan to handover ur job during ur 3 mth absence. I actually got a promotion after I came back after maternity leave.

go go gal!

me too want be 2nd baby, but dh want to wait till dd is older.. plus money is a concern

on the other hand, i feel like study a degree first..

Hi ladies,

My #1 is 9.5 months, and due to age, we should start production right away, however, I am now in between job, so am in the dilemma when I should start TTC.

Do you know what happen if I get preg the minute I join the co? Will I still be entitled to maternity leaves? My probation period is 6 months.

Hi all

When I was young, my mum was a weekend mum. I was second child and she was working, so no time till weekend. That stopped when I was in P1 when my mum stopped work to take care of our studies. My brother and I did very well in school and always topped the class, thanks to my mum. However, I have never felt emotionally close to my mum. I always feel that it's somehow the first six years that was missing link. To all mothers, please try to treasure this time that cannot be lost and reconnected again when the child is grown. I feel that if you have a child but fail to show them what is unconditional love at that age, they will not connect with you later, even more so when they are teens.

i think it is easier to manage when ur 1st is 2-3 yrs old or self indept... if u have to cope with 2 babies i think it will be very tough without extra help
btw i dont know how many of u are working mums but i dont think it will be very nice to take 2 maternity leave within 1 yr period right?

i think u must wait 4 few time.. because u can face difficulty to Tc of 2 child...and 1st one is just 18mths ...

Hi All,

I happen to chance this thread and thought of sharing my thoughts and pain on this issue as well.
I am a weekend mummy as well with a son coming to 2 years old. I'll bring him home on every friday nights and send him back to my mil's place on monday morning. Same here, I have ever thought of fetching him home everyday but gave up finally. My husband is a quick and bad tempered person, whenever my son wakes up for milk at night and scream his lungs out, my husband will start scolding him in the middle of the night.
As much as I would loved to bring him home every night to spend time with him but at the same time I was also concerned about his lack of sleep in the morning. Since we have to bring him back to my mil's place every morning, means that he will have to wake up much earlier. Not sure if this will affects and caused him to be more cranky?

hi mummies...

there are so many weekend mummies out here and i'm one of them since my son is 3 mths old.. also contemplating to have a 2nd child cos my son wasn't an easy baby.

jolene, i think you situation is a bit like mine. my hubby is also a quick tempered person and very impatient with kids.. he gets frustrated when my son refuse to sleep or throw tantrums and he wants his sleep during the weekdays. sometimes i also find that he is very selfish. but when he plays with my son, i can also see the love he has for the boy.

i feel that the very critical factor (apart from financial abilities and the phobia of having another difficult baby) in deciding whether to have a second child is that the decision must be mutual between you and hubby. if there is no mutual agreement and something goes wrong or when you argue about the baby, the unwilling party will be the one blaming the other - "see, i told you not to have a 2nd one". so for me, i'm stopping at one kid unless my hubby can change his mind and be patient with kids.

Hi....I feel sad for weekends mummies...

I am working mummy also. My son is placed with CC since two months plus. Though its tough but i enjoy spending time with him everyday.... and see his first moments of learning....

Now he is 20 months old, and planning for another one next yr. Nevertheless, i will place the 2nd in CC and no maid...

Weekends mummies, I really thought you can do something on the arrangement so that you can enjoy the treasures moments with them everyday. It will be gone once they are teens.

Hi mummies.

I'm a working mummy but I go home to be with my children every night. My children are also taken cared of by mother while me and HB are at work. But I'm thinking of quitting job next year so I can take care of my children. But before I quit job, I will find work I can do at home so I can still have income.
Have you ever tried to look for work which will not be far from your child? Or have you considered quitting work and find a job where you can do at home?
I suggest that if you are physically, emotionally and financially ready to have another child, then go ahead. But if you're not yet ready, then put if off for some time.

Is having a second baby a harder experience than the first?

I'm a SAHM to a 3month old baby girl now and it's very overwhelming already cos I'm alone at home with her when my hubby's at work.. My mom and mil can't help due to personal reasons.. I had a terrible confinement with a CL from 10am to 4pm only (it wasn't the CL, it was the sleep deprivation).. I almost went into depression.. But I'm still surviving.. But then again, I think about giving her a sibling so she won't be lonely and that they will grow up together and have support from each other..

Does the first baby give u more strength to handle both newborn and toddler the second time round? Especially with absolutely no help from others at all.. Except for the alternate saturdays when my mom helps babysit..

I know it's very early now but I hope to get some insights before we make any moves.. And that I'm closing my factory for TTC when I hit 30.. hehe.. That's only 2yrs away.. >.<

jiayi.. LOL.. u got plan for second one or got phobia like me? but there's always this thought of giving her a companion so she won't feel lonely leh..

Pearly: I won't be having a second one already though it's fun and joyful to have my girl around. I don't think I have the energy to divide my attention on two, prefer to focus on one. Frankly, I am also not particularly enjoying my current lifestyle, so hope this phase will be over soon...

Jiayi,
i feel the same also but then again, it's been only 3 months+.. People keep telling me this phrase will pass.. I duno when and I'll gladly answer "no" to a no. 2 now but I imagine her as a toddler having just me as a playmate at home.. Quite lonely leh.. That's y I hope to get some insights..

Hi Pearly and Jiayi,

I think can understand both your feelings.
My son wasn't easy when he was young. He doesn't like to drink milk and didn't really sleep very well until about 8mths old. During the 3 mths of maternity leave, i feel quite depressed at times and also cried. Of cos I've passed that phase and my son is now 22mths, lively and fun to play with. Also I have gotten a maid so i've regained some sanity in life. However, the lifestyle is never the same as before.

Though the situation is now a lot better, I still have phobia and I think I won't be having a 2nd one given the tiredness and sleep derprivation i've experienced.

I fully agree with Jiayi that with just one kid, i can focus on him 100% and give him the best in life.

On a less selfish note, I also dun wan my son to grow up feeling lonely and self-centred. But I will see how after 2 to 3 years ba.

Hi Doobie,

I am an only child myself. My personal take is that be it only child or a child w siblings, how the child behaves is dependent on his/her upbringing. It has nothing to do with whether the child has a sibling or not. Many of my friends were 'surprised' when they found out that I am an only child, and had since not sterotyped only child. Not saying that I a v good person, but I am definitely not spoilt, self-centered etc like what ppl generally perceived of an only child. I know of ppl with siblings who are like self-centered instead.

Hi jiayi

thanks for sharing your own experience. i do agree to you to a certain extent. your child is what you are... how u behave, is what your child would behave in future.

but as an only child, do you sometimes feel or yearn for another sibling when you were growing up?

Hello Jiayi!! (Me from Yishun Mummies =p)

Same here leh, I also don't want another bb... that is why I told my hubby I wanna 3 room flat. haha! So no more room for 2nd one!!!!!

N he is also being worn out by our toddler too and he say having her is enough of 'fun' already =p

Surprisingly my mom also supports having one is enough. Cuz she says don't know what the world is becmoing into, don't let our kids suffer -_-"

Having one is good. We can live more comfy. Can go yearly holidays, suka suka can go resturant eat, buy nonsense things for our child.

With two, when go schooling can cry already!! Imagaine if one child needs to spend $300 in tuition, then 2 means $600!!!!!!! Like this where got money for old age? Then gotta depend on them to give allowances which is so stressful and I do not hope them to be stressful!

But then, always be well protected! Because for what I know, the more u don't want the more the baby comes... =p

Harlo Katie's mom,

Yar lor, I also hv the same concern as u in terms of $. With no. 2, the expenses will sort of double, but our salary never double leh! Now I don't have to keep track of my expenses like a hawk, but if I hv no. 2, then sure have to plan my financial n tighten my spendings.

Unlike some parents who chose to save on no. 2 spending, eg no. 1 bank cordblood, no. 2 don't bank, cos prob can rely on no. 1, I will sure try to meet the same standards for my no. 2, so as to be fair. So I count n count think I better don't hv no. 2 lar, no. 1 insurance, lessons etc already eat into bulk of my salary.
happy.gif

Also, nowadays the kids are not easily lonely as they have lots more things to do as compared to our time. Many of my friends' child explicitly told thierry parents they do not need a sibling. Then those who have siblings told their parents they would prefer not to have. Strange right?

Anyway, there are pros n cons. If the siblings are close n care for each other, then pros. If the siblings ended up fighting etc, then con lor. I hv friends w v close siblings, but some friends' whose sibling really made my friends' life miserable.

Hmm.. Seems like having a No.2 is not popular at all.. ^.^ Finance isn't the biggest concern for us (unless we have to hire a maid cause I won't go to work and leave my kids alone with a maid at home) but I've asked for some advice from 3 of my aunties.. All of them said better not to have second if I'll be getting no help.. =X Most agree that 1 pair of hands will not be enough for 1 child now, much less for 2.. *sweats* However did the women in our older generation managed so many kids single-handedly?

Jiayi,
I agree with the siblings might not have good relationship part.. I'm not close with my elder bro also.. haha.. But the strain of having to take care of both of my folks when they're much much older will at least be shared with my bro, regardless of whether we're close onot mah.. That's actually what I'm thinking about.. If I'm alone, it would be quite tough.. Btw, you stay with your mil or mom? Pai seh, I forgot.. hehe..

Also, Happy Lunar New Year and V'day everyone! xD

Hi Pearly,

aiya I am staying w my mil n fil.

Yar lar, only child hv to take care of the parents alone. Anyway given the high standard of living n aging population in s'pore, our kids may be earning just enough for themselves. Hence, I am going to ensure I hv enough retirement $ so that my dd will not have to sponsor my old age, which ironically can only be done if u hv only one child. At the end of the day, regardless of one or many children, if the children r not fillial, many also no use.

i think it boils down to expectations... come to think of it in the old days having 8 kids still can survive and nowadays if 1 kids expect to have 1 room, how can we ever find sufficient rooms?

also if everything have to be brand new for the 2nd kid, then of cos no $$ left.
i think there's some economies of scale on having the 2nd or 3rd kid... just have to manage one's expectations.....

Even though its really tough and it meant alot of sacrifices on your time, energy and $$ but i think it boils down to personal needs.
Whether or not you can make that sacrifice or whether or not you see the value in it.
ultimately there must be more to life than just making sure you got lots of $$?

anyway my 3 cents worth
happy.gif

I conceive right after getting married and my girl is now 4 already. So me and hubby lost on couple time in the first year of marriage as I was preggy and constantly sick. I'm ready to have a 2nd one but my hubby not prepared to go thru that process all over again cos we now can have time to ourselves by having a nanny watch her at night while we go out. And also do other things like travel, a social life, etc. But I feel sorry for my girl as she longs for a sibling and keep asking me if she can have a sis/bro? If only it is as easy as getting her a pet.

I also agree totallyt that having siblings may not necessarily mean that they will all get along very well.

sghlynn, it's true that whether or not you want to make some sacrifices to have a 2nd child, depends on one's expectations greatly.

to each its own... everyone has different priorities in life ba...

happy lunar new year everyone!

agree w doobie. Most importantly is that the whole family is happy with whatever decision is made on having one or more kids!

Have a great tiger year!

Hope this thread can go live again...
HB and I decided on 1 before marriage.
am above 35 now and son is 4yo, we been in discussion early this year for a 2nd, 80% towards sticking to only 1 but I still reserve 20% wanting a 2nd for the common reason for my boy to have sibling. HB busy with work, hardly have time for our boy, sometimes i blame him but what to do cos he needs to work? Everyday after working, I feel so tired but will still spend evening time with my boy till he zzz. On weekends, bring him for enrichment class and visit grandmum. I started working in my early years, dad was ill and I didn't continue my studies. I worked for some years, earn $$ to support family financial and after my dad passed away, I started to do my part time studies. Then met my hb, busy with house reno, wedding follow with my son and continue with my studies and work. It seems like my whole life is so busy, never have a good rest. I have completed my studies few mths ago, finally things are more settled, more time with my son, more time to myself, stable finance, loan free and have a maid. HB said better stay this way, why want a 2nd to start all over again....but I am in dilemmas, don't want to have any regrets in life when I get older..Especially with the comments from all frens and relatives that we should go for a 2nd.

Hi mummies,

i need some advise.

As current i'm expecting 2nd (unplanned baby) as my gal is only 17 mths old now. i took some times to accept it...inital i want to give up but my hubby rejected and is our child we should not do that. &amp; current my gal is taken care by my mum.

My mum gave up her job to take care my gal and am i giving my mum enough $? now with 2nd, i duno how much i shld give my mum...double?

my worries are financial, times and am i able to cope with my 2nd...cos my gal is still young.

i also worry that i might expecting 2nd gal...wch my hubby come from traditional family and most of his cousin hv a son. cos of this i was very stressful and sometime my tears will start ...am i stupid to think this way?

Am i giving myself too much stress?? &amp; current Doc suspect i might suffer mild depession...

sad.gif

Kkapamax,
I was also in a dilemma before.. Reluctant to go through the same thing twice.. Hubby was especially scared.. But, in my opinion, I think having #2 is better ba.. It'll be very tough but ultimately #1 really will have a shoulder (can't expect everyone to find their life partners) to lean on in future, especially when it comes to our family matters..

*Touch wood* la.. But when old age comes for us, at least got sibling to "rotate" shift, to take care of each other.. 2 of us take care of one baby very tough liao, can't imagine 1 child taking care of both parents (not that I expect la but govt expect one, not much of a choice there).. So we decided to go for #2 loh..

kelly,
I think u should discuss with your hubby on the finance ba? 17mos is ok already.. At least can opt to go childcare once hit 18mos.. hehe..

I'm preggy with #2 (almost week 12) and my #1 is only 11mos.. haha.. No mom/mil to help out.. I'm taking care of her myself..

Don't stress so much over the gender.. Both got pros and cons.. Nowadays, some grandparents prefer girl leh.. Both my parents and in-laws prefer girls.. hehe.. Since u and hubby decide to keep this child, stay positive!

Hi kelly,
just want to share with you my story.

My #2 is born when my #1 is just 25mths (2yo).
She is now almost 18mths and both of them play together and (of cos) fight together. Home is never quiet and I'm always screaming at them. But when I separate them (1 with mom, 1 with me), it is so quiet and it feels so strange. Hee!

Well, the initial stage of my 2nd pregnancy is dilemma because it is a big change - uncertainty on how to plan for caregiving for the 2 kids when my mom can only take care of 1.

Things turn out well eventually cos there are alot of 'trial &amp; error' plus adaption.

Don't worry and enjoy your pregnancy!

Hi, hi, mine are only 20 months apart, very tired, but all worth it cos they can play with each others and keep our home alive.
happy.gif

All these close-age-gap talk gives me strength! My kids are 18mos apart.. Currently my son is coming 4mos and my daughter is not yet 2yrs old.. xD Stressed!

So tough to take care of TWO babies alone with no help! But I'm waiting for the day where both of them will chit chat and play and scream and run around with each other.. xD

I'm a mother of 3 and expecting my fourth. My first 2 are already in their teenage n 3rd is only 13 mths. Both hubby n I are thrilled to have my 3rd child as she's so lovely. Taking care of her n preggy at the same time is no joke.
Luckily my hubby n 2 elder kids help out on the chores n taking care of baby. Even though weekends are busy with kids n house chore but at the end of the day, we are alway filled with happiness.
Having more kids is fun n noisy. No doubt it can be stressful n financially tight.
But we never look back....cheers.

Well I believe in giving child best facility and education whenever he needs.. I would only think of second child if m physically, emotionally and financially strong.. It takes a toll on mom only for bearing and raisin a child.. We play most important role in making and developing a child as an independent individual.. Think about all the aspects and thn make up your mind..

Back