2016/07 July babies

redvel - is Oscar the test that most mummies to be go through at around 16 weeks? What does it test for? It is done regardless of tge mother's age right? I vaguely rem there's another one at 11 wks, some nuchal scan thing.
Oscar is done at 12 wks and detail scan at 20 wks. I don't remember any scan on 16 wks. R u going to govt hospital? If yes then the scan is slightly different from private.

I am slowly beginning to be able to swallow more "flavorful"food .although anything that has garlic ,soy sauce,Charsiew sauce and those fishy smell puts me off still.
I notice this pregnancy I tend to fall off abit more hair and it started the min I realised I am expecting at wk 4. Hopefully it will end soon!
Anyone experiencing this too?

And I count my baby gender with the cycle and the "timing" so far we were right for no2 and 3.
Every pregnancy the ms is so different and the gender doesn't coherent at all with the so called gender.

Is those aroma therapy essential oil safe to use? Not on the body but to put in the air. The smell of many things puts me off, so I'm wondering if I can put some fresh scent in the room. But I've heard that it might be unsafe for pregnancy
I use only pure essential oil and there are some which are safe for pregnancy and some to totally avoid.

I am slowly beginning to be able to swallow more "flavorful"food .although anything that has garlic ,soy sauce,Charsiew sauce and those fishy smell puts me off still.
I notice this pregnancy I tend to fall off abit more hair and it started the min I realised I am expecting at wk 4. Hopefully it will end soon!
Anyone experiencing this too?

And I count my baby gender with the cycle and the "timing" so far we were right for no2 and 3.
Every pregnancy the ms is so different and the gender doesn't coherent at all with the so called gender.
I used to love dark soya sauce and cha siew but now even the sight of them make me want to vomit.

Hello, im new member. Just to ask is it necessary to see few gynae for check up prior to sign package?

Need to do like first time check up every time seeing different gynae? tqtq

Don't really understand the 2nd part of the question. It's not necessary to see a few different gynaes prior to signing package. It would be better to stick to one whom u have shortlisted unless u r not comfortable with him/her on your 1st visit thus u may decide to try another gynae. What I understand is if u r under subsidized n seeing gynae at kkh, there will be diff gynaes attending to u each visit, ( u can't choose)if u r under private at kkh or other places u can choose ur gynae n stick with him /her till delivery .Not every gynae offers package, u may want to check with ur gynaes u be shortlisted :)

Don't really understand the 2nd part of the question. It's not necessary to see a few different gynaes prior to signing package. It would be better to stick to one whom u have shortlisted unless u r not comfortable with him/her on your 1st visit thus u may decide to try another gynae. What I understand is if u r under subsidized n seeing gynae at kkh, there will be diff gynaes attending to u each visit, ( u can't choose)if u r under private at kkh or other places u can choose ur gynae n stick with him /her till delivery .Not every gynae offers package, u may want to check with ur gynaes u be shortlisted :)

Thanks for your reply. I saw some people go for different gynaes to see which one is more comfortable.

Can i ask if we can hear the baby heart beat after nearly 8 weeks?

I used to love dark soya sauce and cha siew but now even the sight of them make me want to vomit.

Same here! Now I just want to hide from all the food. How do all mommies cope with MS! I lie down doing nothing also feel nausea. What can I do to feel better?

Thanks for your reply. I saw some people go for different gynaes to see which one is more comfortable.

Can i ask if we can hear the baby heart beat after nearly 8 weeks?

Yeah because they are not comfortable with the first so they decided to try another. If not usually people will stick with the first.

No right or wrong, it's personal preference :)

Yeah because they are not comfortable with the first so they decided to try another. If not usually people will stick with the first.

No right or wrong, it's personal preference :)
If we go for another doctor, we have to do the scanning again? Is there anything we need to take note? This is our first baby~~

If we go for another doctor, we have to do the scanning again? Is there anything we need to take note? This is our first baby~~

Actually I'm not sure, maybe you can share with the gynae that you've been to another gynae but you wish to change over?

Usually if it's still the beginning, I don't think there will be any problem changing to another gynae.

Actually I'm not sure, maybe you can share with the gynae that you've been to another gynae but you wish to change over?

Usually if it's still the beginning, I don't think there will be any problem changing to another gynae.

I'm not sure, depending on my wife...as long as she feel okay, then everything is great~ We just went for the first time visit and second visit next Tuesday.

There is a scan during every visit. The only cost of gynae hopping is the first time consultation fee which is more expensive than normal consultation. If you don't mind paying that and it is a problem free pregnancy, you can gynae hop as many times as you want before you sign on a package and get locked in.

I'm not sure, depending on my wife...as long as she feel okay, then everything is great~ We just went for the first time visit and second visit next Tuesday.

Oh then if everything is okay, you don't have to change :) if you are not sure of what you want, why not just continue for 1-2 more visits then decide again?

@tuna As someone has shared, OSCAR is done around 12weeks. It comprises of a blood test and a scan. Both results are combined to give a final OSCAR result that comes in a ratio number. In nutshell, it tests for Down syndrome PROBABILITY.

I stress the word probability because that's something I don't like about OSCAR. To me, it can be ambiguous to a certain extend (Google and you can find so many couples posting their OSCAR results in forums to ask if their numbers are healthy, risk-free, etc). I find the result format leaves many couples worried unnecessarily.

Any MTBS can opt for OSCAR but I find its best suited for those who are in the low risk group (aka younger, etc) because OSCAR takes into your age number to calculate its risk.

Since me lao charbor, I prefer Harmony test that reflects result in a more "humane" way. Ha. Result will come out as an absolute Low or High risk and to me that's a clearer answer, rather than a ratio which leaves too much for imagination.

Hi, anyone on progesterone pills? I was given for 2 weeks to take twice a day. But after taking e pills e side effects is making me sick. Before taking e pill I have no.symptoms except.for on.N.off.cramps and sore.nipples. The pills make.me drowsy for few hours, gastric discomfort, nausea and vomiting. Is this normal? Was given e pills to stabilise the pregnancy in case.of anything. Am thinking.do.I really.need it. I have called.in.and was told.to reduce to once at night cux of e drowsiness. I jus want to know if any of u taking the same pills having.same side effect? feeling.horrible..

@JAPL, yes those little pills suck, don't they? They indeed make me feel miserable everyday at the beginning. But I have to take it twice daily until doc instructs me to stop.

Whether you really need it or not I think it's best for your doc to advice you. But I have tried Utrogestan and Duphaston but I can't quite remember which is worse. And some progesterone comes in insert form and I tried that before too and this is one that doesn't cause that much bad side effect. Maybe you can ask your doc about options.

I know the side effects are really hard to get by (I even teared on some occasions as it feels just too nasty) but I think progesterone supports shouldn't be stopped abruptly without doc's green light. Your progesterone level may be dropped to an undesirable level.

For this pregnancy, I also complained to my gynae about this. He said I cannot stop but he suggested ways to reduce the side effects. Hang on there for tonight... Give a call to your doc tomorrow and hope he/she can help you along.

Hi, anyone on progesterone pills? I was given for 2 weeks to take twice a day. But after taking e pills e side effects is making me sick. Before taking e pill I have no.symptoms except.for on.N.off.cramps and sore.nipples. The pills make.me drowsy for few hours, gastric discomfort, nausea and vomiting. Is this normal? Was given e pills to stabilise the pregnancy in case.of anything. Am thinking.do.I really.need it. I have called.in.and was told.to reduce to once at night cux of e drowsiness. I jus want to know if any of u taking the same pills having.same side effect? feeling.horrible..
Hi what pills are u taking? Mine is utrogestan, I insert them instead of taking them. Read before less side effects through insert method.

Mummies, 2nd trimester starts week 13 or 14? Can't remember le. Also those doing harmony test u will be doing at which week?

I m doing harmony due to my age ... My first pregnancy oscar gave a false positive. Doc recommended harmony this time round, wld be doing 30/12 when I m 11 weeks plus

I was given the same pills 2 tabs twice a day for 2 weeks, today is the 5 th day taking. Was told it causes drowsiness so it was good for me as it knocked me out the 1st 2 nights at least I can slp if not having insomnia. Bt 3rd day onwards the effect of drowsiness not as strong for night compared to day if not I'll be asleep now. I don't think I have cramps n others for side effect. I'm not working now Gota bed rest for 2 weeks bt if u r continuing with ur job u may Wana reduce to taking once at night n rest more during this period. Try to eat something before taking the pills n take a nap or slp after the pills. Hope ur side effects will get better!

I read from a local book 2nd trime is 14weeks onwards. But some others say 12. I take it it's 14.

My harmony test will be done either 23 or 30Dec. (11 or 12wks).

Result will be back 2 weeks after. Then I will announce to my family, if the result is favorable (now only my immediate inlaws know).

Last edited:
I was in bed n when I sneezed, I felt a sharp pain on my uterus for a few seconds. Do you ladies experience this?
So paranoid now n wonder if I did anything wrong

I was in bed n when I sneezed, I felt a sharp pain on my uterus for a few seconds. Do you ladies experience this?
So paranoid now n wonder if I did anything wrong
I do feel pain in my lower tummy when I cough hard.... But not sure if the pain is on my uterus

Hi what pills are u taking? Mine is utrogestan, I insert them instead of taking them. Read before less side effects through insert method.

Mummies, 2nd trimester starts week 13 or 14? Can't remember le. Also those doing harmony test u will be doing at which week?

I m doing harmony due to my age ... My first pregnancy oscar gave a false positive. Doc recommended harmony this time round, wld be doing 30/12 when I m 11 weeks plus
Yes. I'm taking e same as u but by oral. I was not told.about e side effects at.all until I read e literature inside e box. I still have got five more days to take before TCU this sat. Two weeks seems so long and uncomfortable. I alw take it after food. But e nausea n gastric discomfort make.me suffer. And will.vomit.my.dinner out. =/ but they said if u feel sick means baby is growing well. Lol.

Does any mummies have morning sickness from day to night? Feeling crappy the whole day :(
morning when wake up immediately nauseous is there till sleeping at night....

any mummies can add me to the facebook group? I check in facebook often thus its easier for me to follow up....

My email is [email protected]

Thanks!

Does any mummies have morning sickness from day to night? Feeling crappy the whole day :(

any mummies can add me to the facebook group? I check in facebook often thus its easier for me to follow up....

Thanks!

Yes me! I had no strength and appetite to eat anything. Smell my husband's dinner and immediately felt like vomiting. I skipped dinner because was so sick to eat anything.

Today I tried to take plain biscuit and suck lemon. Feels better for now. You can try!

Yes me! I had no strength and appetite to eat anything. Smell my husband's dinner and immediately felt like vomiting. I skipped dinner because was so sick to eat anything.

Today I tried to take plain biscuit and suck lemon. Feels better for now. You can try!

I'm now drinking lime juice seems to help....but for me...when I am nauseous the only thing that can help is to put food in my mouth but now I have been very picky with what food I want to eat....very frustrating.... worst is after eating...had to vomit them out....

Then I am taking it out on my husband and getting easily frustrated with my 2 year old.... which is upsetting....

Feeling very miserable....

I'm now drinking lime juice seems to help....but for me...when I am nauseous the only thing that can help is to put food in my mouth but now I have been very picky with what food I want to eat....very frustrating.... worst is after eating...had to vomit them out....

Then I am taking it out on my husband and getting easily frustrated with my 2 year old.... which is upsetting....

Feeling very miserable....

Try light flavoured stuff, candy or anything can help? I cut small lemon and suck on it. It helps~

Thanks!

I had more night sickness, don't really dare to take dinner these days. Some days feel so miserable just feel like crying all night long. Today my MS seems to start from now.. :(

Lemon with ginger slices dropped into a warm cup of water definitely helps to reduce ms for me. Alternatively when you're out and about, suck some mint candy. I bought packs of those from marks&spencer. They are my little savior throughout the day.

Yes I ate instant noodle. Eaten twice because I craved for it. I feel super miserable if I end up eating something I don't fancy at that moment and I would feel even more nausea after that.

Will you or did you eat instant noodles during pregnancy? I have craving for the korean ones.

Oh I do eat maggi mees I like the Korean one, had that once....then last week I took the chicken one...but I puke everything out after taking it....

me too, now my MS is bad. no mood for any food but will feel hungry. but I like meatballs so unhealthy. and also black vinegar. eeks!

I think it's Ok to eat whatever food one has appetite for now , if it's unhealthy , eat in moderation better than no intake at all. I feel hungry bt don't crave for any food , no puking just a lil queasy at times. On bed rest now so can only ask my girl to help tabao as I can't shop n cook. I have not gain any weight since my 1st vist to the gynae abt 1 mth ago. Hopefully our appetite will be good after 1st trimester!

Just wanna say lets all hang in there. 14weeks of first trimester will pass in due time and we all will feel better thereafter and I look forward to eating my fav steamboat buffet. I will eat revenge after that. I've lost 2kg and now at 49.xkg but I hope to gain back my weight and more after this trying first trim. Give ourself a pat on the back when we pull through it all soon.

The Baking Soda Gender Test
The test itself is easy enough. Put a tablespoon or two of baking soda in a glass. Then add some of your urine to the baking soda. If the combination fizzes, like a soft drink that has been shaken up, then you are having a boy. On the other hand if there is no reaction at all from the baking soda and urine, you're having a girl.

Shall we all try? haha

Haha I've enough of pee in a cup. Try it out and let us know what you got? :)

I did for fun the Chinese calendar prediction. We'll see in time to come.

Last edited:
Ores07 - yea, I go to sgh. Now I recall, Oscar is the govt hospitals' version of nuchal test. Yes, this is the one that measures the probability of Down Syndrome based on mother's age.
Redvel - I fall into the same category of lao charbo, lol! I shall see what sort of tests my doc recommends when I see him on thurs.

My ms lasts from noon till I slp at night. So far, the anti-vomiting tablets that my doc gave has been helping to keep the puking away, and helps me slp really well too. But it does nothing to quell the pukey feeling. I had lunch in a hk cafe today, there's this drink that did wonders for me! 7-up with salted lemon. Woah! It hit the exact spot on my taste bud to make me feel super shiok! Went Yue Hwa to buy a bag of those salted lemons to try, hope it can achieve the same effect. I can't take sweet or sour stuff, the aftertaste makes me want to throw up, so mummies with the same kind of tastebuds can give it a try.

Forgot to ask something - mummies having no. 3 or more - does ur tummy feel a lot bigger than the first 2 times? I'm at wk 9 and I hv difficulties feeling comfy in my bottoms already? The waistband seems to be cutting into the tummy area and it is seriously impossible to wear bottoms. I am digging desperately for my old maternity bottoms now. Is this normal to start ballooning so early? I wore normal clothes till almost 6 mths for my first two.

Just wanna say lets all hang in there. 14weeks of first trimester will pass in due time and we all will feel better thereafter and I look forward to eating my fav steamboat buffet. I will eat revenge after that. I've lost 2kg and now at 49.xkg but I hope to gain back my weight and more after this trying first trim. Give ourself a pat on the back when we pull through it all soon.

Oh how I envy u. I think I gained 2kg and I am just 8 weeks! Oh jialat.

Back