(2015/05) May 2015 Mummies

My friend told me she would tap on them to wake them up and say she is going to faint as she is pregnant and then get to sit.

I wld normally tap too. Nowadays even the train will jerk and brake hard. So better take precaution esp now we are in the last trimester. I'll sometimes, "tsked" to ppl who walk without looking as well.... I don't mind lah if ppl call me aunty or what. Anything to keep my bump safe! Hehe

I find e situation better now than back in 2011 when i was preggy. Almost always get a seat on e train, but sometimes peak hrs stranded at e door than nobody can see. Maybe pple scared kena stomped?? Hehe…

But I will ask the person at priority seat if I really need one, esp if more tired. Sometimes I feel pple r too obsessed with their phones to notice.

Taiwan is wonderful, everyone will give up seats for elderly and young kids. Hong Kong is terrible, very bad experience there. Dun say preggy, even if you are physically disabled person there, no one will give up de!!

ImageUploadedByForum1426040307.995698.jpg

I'm bored so just made these for breakfast snack. Like the hobbits say second breakfast! Hahahaha

Mummies!!
Anyone's paid your hospital and gynae deposit fees yet? Did your gynae charge you more than the indicated package fees at all?
I'm asking this because some mothers have been saying they have been asked to pay more due to the recent change in their insurance coverage indemnity increment which kicks into effect from May 2nd this year??
Apparently 30% more to pay and their gynaes are from Mt E.
Anyone knows anything about this?
http://www.straitstimes.com/news/op...ming-shortage-doctors-deliver-babies-20150220
I heard about the increase in insurance for delivery doctors... And i guess that they will transfer that additional cost to us consumers, but 30% more is rather steep. This will become a national concern. I will check with my dr on this cos i haven't pay for hospital and deposit fees yet, only my gynae package...

hahaha.... I just experienced stand in front of young man sleeping on the reserved seat in MRT. Then somebody come in, tap the man to wake up and told him, there are pregnant woman in front of you and let me sit. lols.....so nice.

My appt still got 2 wks more then I will ask my gynae..
And also ask him how is he going to do csect, like spinal or epi?
Heard there is a difference and I want to know more and be prepared instead of getting heart attack at OT.

Ya got difference whether u taking GA or half body anthesia.. I know for Kkh my sis in law did half body, she freaked out the 1st time. Cos she say the 'knife' and kept asking if sure no feeling anot, den to prove to feeling the nurse or whoever took a ice cube and rub her tummy to make more at ease. But according to her can feeling her tummy "in and up" motion when she was cut. I think i aso will freak out. But at least she awake to carry baby but she cant really walk for 2days lah. Better know the choices of c-sec before committing...i also need ask my gynae in case baby in breech

I heard about the increase in insurance for delivery doctors... And i guess that they will transfer that additional cost to us consumers, but 30% more is rather steep. This will become a national concern. I will check with my dr on this cos i haven't pay for hospital and deposit fees yet, only my gynae package...
It's retarded. I haven't paid yet and my appt is two weeks away at week 32.. So will find out then and I'm guessing that's when I will need to make the payments for these deposits.

Ya got difference whether u taking GA or half body anthesia.. I know for Kkh my sis in law did half body, she freaked out the 1st time. Cos she say the 'knife' and kept asking if sure no feeling anot, den to prove to feeling the nurse or whoever took a ice cube and rub her tummy to make more at ease. But according to her can feeling her tummy "in and up" motion when she was cut. I think i aso will freak out. But at least she awake to carry baby but she cant really walk for 2days lah. Better know the choices of c-sec before committing...i also need ask my gynae in case baby in breech
I want to be awake so I can welcome baby an also have skin to skin. The other I went to class. The midwife was saying to inform gynae about skin to skin right after delivery for both natural and csect if all is normal and ok for mummy and baby.
I read and heard other mothers say spinal is not GA and that it's a one time dosage without catheter unlike epi. So too many things flying around my face and making me confused so I want to confirm with gynae and be more assured and "relaxed". Scareded

Oh no, my buddy jus delivered last mth. Induced, den ended up emergency c-sect at TMC. Her total cost $15k before cpf deduction. Cash she paid $10k! Now i tinking twice if really need c-sec.......:(

Anyone taking insurance for mother and baby? Is that really useful?

It really is pretty useful. Especially what AXA has. Really regretted not getting it earlier on in my pregnancy (from week 14); b/c baby has a tiny heart issue... And now they won't cover. Taking it in my stride, since it's a small heart issue, I'm not letting it affect me as well.

But if u are still within the approved time frame; go get insured!

Last edited:
Oh no, my buddy jus delivered last mth. Induced, den ended up emergency c-sect at TMC. Her total cost $15k before cpf deduction. Cash she paid $10k! Now i tinking twice if really need c-sec.......:(

Just ended the hospital tour with all the costing + spoken to Gynae's nurse about coatings involved. Whether for natural or csect; also not exceeding $10K!

I think what u can do is opt for csect? So it's not that expensive?

my friend induced at KK, end up emergency c sec as dilation stopped....didn't progress after more than 1 day. bill also cost $10k+ and she stayed 2 or 4 bedder.
Her baby was 3.4kg...she induced at 38 weeks but didn't happen naturally for her. so in the end had to do emergency c sec. Doc had advised her of c sec in the beginning but like most mummies, we will usually try to go for natural first esp if baby position is heads down.
Of course if opt for c sec right in the beginning, it would be scheduled c sec, not emer c sec, will not be so exp.

FYI for those who are planning to bank with Cordlife, Thomson FBI membership at $60 will have special discounts. If don't have the membership, can just sign up for FBI then enrol with cordlife. I just met the consultant yesterday and they also have SG50 promo for March ($100 cordlife voucher/robinsons voucher etc). Consultant told me overall price will be better than the mummys market cordlife offer. So I didn't bother buying the mummy market $150 voucher.

Wahhhh 15k?? Which hospital is that? Deluxe room?

Hearing the bill only can sound sooo scary... like its even worst than contraction! (Not that I know how contractions feel at the moment! Hehhe)

Hmm.. always too shy to tap on sleeping passengers worrying that some may have very big and negative reactions. Even if they are awake I won't dare to ask for the seats as they can claim that they are also paying commuters and won't want to give away the seat...

Normally the morning and after work rush hours crowd, will be super hard to get a seat...

Can see my stripy stomach? ? Already point towards them.. even though the guy saw me, he peek very obviously and slept back a few times.. then secretly mumber to his wife to wake as they are alighting soon.. ended up I stand for at least half an hour. But luckily, I hold on to the pole tight and everything is safe.

They just hook hand in hand and sleep together..(although very loving ) i just felt that the guy should auto stay awake and let the wife continue to sleep if she is really that tired.. and since he is on priority seat, he shoyld be uptight and give it up if anyone else needs more.. but then again, he did not break any law by not giving up the seat :(

Dunno when I will have the courage to tap them up...:rolleyes:
PicsArt_1426051276008.jpg

I wld normally tap too. Nowadays even the train will jerk and brake hard. So better take precaution esp now we are in the last trimester. I'll sometimes, "tsked" to ppl who walk without looking as well.... I don't mind lah if ppl call me aunty or what. Anything to keep my bump safe! Hehe

I also noticed alot of ppl don't care even if you are preggy esp giving way when taking the escalators....the other day, one foreign worker was nice enough to give way and let me take my time to walk to the escalators. They rest were all rushing and pushing passed me...I dont understand why they need to rush seriously.

I am also worried about kids running around esp when their parents don't watch out for them. It is quite dangerous if they fall or push against you. Worse are those running around with their big guns esp in a mall.

hahaha.... I just experienced stand in front of young man sleeping on the reserved seat in MRT. Then somebody come in, tap the man to wake up and told him, there are pregnant woman in front of you and let me sit. lols.....so nice.
well done to that person!

Wahhhh 15k?? Which hospital is that? Deluxe room?

Hearing the bill only can sound sooo scary... like its even worst than contraction! (Not that I know how contractions feel at the moment! Hehhe)

I heard if last min csec they will have to add in both the supposing ly natural birth fees plus the emergency csec price.. so = X2 price.

But for myself, I think I will still risk the chance to take natural birth.... must monitor the baby weight too... if big baby, will also be hard for natural birth. .

If emergency csec is needed, we can't possibly just reject as the baby life is much more important..:( so the mother has to sacrifice. Hmmm...

Went to the Gynae today at 28wks 5days, baby is weighing in at 1245g (which is average), but I've gained 10kg now.
Baby's head is also down, Gynae is not concerned, but my mum is wondering why it has turned so soon.... (Anyone has any experience with this?)

Doctor is looking at Baby to be delivered from Week 36, onwards, which is only 7 to 8 weeks' time! It's happening so so soon! :D

Hmm.. always too shy to tap on sleeping passengers worrying that some may have very big and negative reactions. Even if they are awake I won't dare to ask for the seats as they can claim that they are also paying commuters and won't want to give away the seat...

Normally the morning and after work rush hours crowd, will be super hard to get a seat...

Can see my stripy stomach? ? Already point towards them.. even though the guy saw me, he peek very obviously and slept back a few times.. then secretly mumber to his wife to wake as they are alighting soon.. ended up I stand for at least half an hour. But luckily, I hold on to the pole tight and everything is safe.

They just hook hand in hand and sleep together..(although very loving ) i just felt that the guy should auto stay awake and let the wife continue to sleep if she is really that tired.. and since he is on priority seat, he shoyld be uptight and give it up if anyone else needs more.. but then again, he did not break any law by not giving up the seat :(

Dunno when I will have the courage to tap them up...:rolleyes:
View attachment 500867

If i were you, i will just ask them to give up the seat esp if they are sitting on the priority seat. If they argue, i will just tell them off....either they dont know how to read or they couldn't be bother - they should be ashamed of themselves. The point is not about arguing to get the seat but educating these people the basic courtesy we lack in our society :(

I heard if last min csec they will have to add in both the supposing ly natural birth fees plus the emergency csec price.. so = X2 price.

But for myself, I think I will still risk the chance to take natural birth.... must monitor the baby weight too... if big baby, will also be hard for natural birth. .

If emergency csec is needed, we can't possibly just reject as the baby life is much more important..:( so the mother has to sacrifice. Hmmm...

Exactly, the nurses briefed me on the charges earlier as well. Unless you're sure you want to do a csect, it will be cheaper (just in case, you require an emergency csect). Gynae advised me to go natural, with assistance (bursting of water bag, etc, to hasten the labour process, so I have no worries about that, will go along with her recommendations). Then again, she also said natural birth is not 100% confirmed for me (maybe, at 95%). Quite confusing.... Really praying for a smooth delivery.

Went to the Gynae today at 28wks 5days, baby is weighing in at 1245g (which is average), but I've gained 10kg now.
Baby's head is also down, Gynae is not concerned, but my mum is wondering why it has turned so soon.... (Anyone has any experience with this?)

Doctor is looking at Baby to be delivered from Week 36, onwards, which is only 7 to 8 weeks' time! It's happening so so soon! :D

I did my scan at week 30 and baby's head was down too but accordingly to my doc, it is still early stage and baby will still be moving around alot....I know that cos i could feel his position esp when he's hiccuping - so i think there is no cause of concern here.

I stayed in KKH for past 8 days to monitor my blood sugar, there were 5 ladies gave birth during my stay, all of them have been "cut" wor. So scary..... I kepo asked them "pain or not?" Everyone said very pain! Alamark! I am so worried I can't tahan the pain leh.
Woah woah woah.. this is kinda scary.... hmm... why can't my husband :D:D take my place of being cut. .:D:D:D*sweat*

10kg not much, dont be bothered by it lah. Even if gain 20kg can still lose it after delivery :)
My 1st 2 also very early heads down, but only engage after 32weeks delivering at 36weeks like still quite early Eh, hopefully ur baby can wait couple more weeks and enjoy the comfort.

Woah woah woah.. this is kinda scary.... hmm... why can't my husband :D:D take my place of being cut. .:D:D:D*sweat*

Haha if only the men can go thru it!! Worse is after childbirth den avoid sex....

@furbee eh how does it feel when baby head engage ah?
mine was all the way heads down....but now still early to tell if she will guai guai stay this way till birth, coz only 28-29 weeks.

same like me le. my EDD change to 1st May instead of 12 now

@furbee eh how does it feel when baby head engage ah?
mine was all the way heads down....but now still early to tell if she will guai guai stay this way till birth, coz only 28-29 weeks.

Very hard to feel, unless gynae poke inside and let u know which will normally do after 35-37weeks when confirm bb heads down, or anytime when u feel contractions. For me i remember suddenly cannot walk properly, need open legs and walk and the weight at pelvic bones, sit also pain like something stuck down there. I think everyone feeling different

During scans, will determine the estimate weight n growth, den the edd will change, cos if follow the given edd may not be accurate (last menses date, ovulation etc, n aso baby is bigger each day) therefore if earlier deliver aso safer for bb n mom(less risk)

That is so costly.... Imagine if they raise dr delivery price somemore... OMG.

I roughly calculated my delivery estimation to be around 15k before medisave claim and doesn't include prenatal expenditure to date:

Mt A hospital fees aka room/ward: $6.5k
Doctor fees aka elective csect: $4k
PD fees: $1.5k
Anesthetist: $1.5k
Misc charges aka buffer: $1.5k

So I might need to pay cash around 11k.. Zahhhh

Hope they don't increase the fees.. Zzz already as is giving birth cost more than my birkin.. -_-""

Last edited:
dont know le. my gynae also say that i should b giving birth ard 37-38 weeks like that and he say is 1st May le
@newbiemum80, is this your first baby? I was thinking that I will be giving birth at around week 39. Heard that first baby most likely near week 40 or even overdue. My EDD so far never change from day 1 with my gynae. My gynae also never say when I will be giving birth, coz I think now still too early to tell and think still no sign of labour yet.

Hope baby not coming out too soon.... I am still not prepared yet, so many things to do... haven't prepared my hospital bag. oh no...... time flies

@newbiemum80, is this your first baby? I was thinking that I will be giving birth at around week 39. Heard that first baby most likely near week 40 or even overdue. My EDD so far never change from day 1 with my gynae. My gynae also never say when I will be giving birth, coz I think now still too early to tell and think still no sign of labour yet.

Hope baby not coming out too soon.... I am still not prepared yet, so many things to do... haven't prepared my hospital bag. oh no...... time flies
yup. it is my first bb le. they say usually first will b slightly earlier. nt sure le. just hope that he is all healthy can liao

yup. it is my first bb le. they say usually first will b slightly earlier. nt sure le. just hope that he is all healthy can liao

yeah i am also worried if bb will come out early....super kaisu...starting to prepare for things now i..e setting up cots, washing bb clothes...

@nazriah - gave good advise, wash bb clothes and put in ziploc, i have been doing that :D

Went for my gynae visit last Friday...e finale of my monthly visits.
From now on..im gona b able to see my heartbeat biweekly...yeah to that!!:D
BUT...Lil lamb's head is now on top...breech...so to speak..n my gynae has suggested a c-sect (elective)... Jolt to a pro-natural birth me...
In addition my bby Is 'long' n big (measuring 2 weeks ahead)
So ive bn emo-ing n worrying myself sick...
On a positive note...I preponed my maternity shoot...n I jus did it yest...now im filin eons better...
But c-sect....errr
me also same!! and i'm further along, ~33 weeks ler... still transverse... gynae taught me to do some exercises, will have to go for additional check 2 weeks later.. ultimatum for baby to turn is week 37, if not must c-sect ler... hope bb cooperates from now on!
Episiotomy is a term which the gynae cut ur vagina towards the anus or an L shape sideways to make more room for the baby's head to come out.

My colleague also had a minor tear last nov and required a few stitches. I read that it's important to follow instructions to prevent such tears. Eg. Push only when asked to. Cos the urge to push is quite intense and some mummies just push when not suppose to.

Nowadays hospitals try not to practice the procedure unnecessarily and let the mothers go as natural as possible. Kkh is an exception from what I heard. They just do it somehow.

And oh,apparently episiotomy heals faster than a tear itself. Don't know why.
episiotomy is to prevent large tears... if large tear, then the healing will be longer than just a snip from epi lor... tt's why more docs will choose to do epi jsut to prevent the large tears... but if no tear expected then no need epi either

Yeah, agree on gynae's skill! Aso after normal delivery after duno how many hours will need to walk n go toilet pee.. Need to pee out de, i supposed gynae needs to know if everything back to 'normal'... N that when walking the stitches are ok n all. I hate the lochia n stuff, mine max lasted close to 5 weeks , duno y take so long to clear...
@cynn04 when u delivered how many nurses were with u? I aso puke after the epi effect but only once, n all is water cos cant take any food beforehand.
must PEE??? won't be painful meh? i always wonder how pple pee after the stitching leh... how to tahan the pain? by then no painkiller ler right?
Thanks for informing! Ya, i also heard that it is after epidural then they will insert the urine catheter. But what about when they remove it? My friends told me they removed it after the epidural effects wore out, that's why it was more pain. Is it true?
any urine catherer is natural w/o epi?

my friend induced at KK, end up emergency c sec as dilation stopped....didn't progress after more than 1 day. bill also cost $10k+ and she stayed 2 or 4 bedder.
Her baby was 3.4kg...she induced at 38 weeks but didn't happen naturally for her. so in the end had to do emergency c sec. Doc had advised her of c sec in the beginning but like most mummies, we will usually try to go for natural first esp if baby position is heads down.
Of course if opt for c sec right in the beginning, it would be scheduled c sec, not emer c sec, will not be so exp.
yar if elective then not so expensive. but how come everything normal gynae was already advising her of c sec? how the gynae knew later on higher chance of c sec?

29 weeks head down is normal, don't worry. but sometimes still alot of space then, so baby can still be spinning around... so it depends on how much amniotic fluid you have. how come so fast deliver at 36 weeks???

10kg not much, dont be bothered by it lah. Even if gain 20kg can still lose it after delivery :)
My 1st 2 also very early heads down, but only engage after 32weeks delivering at 36weeks like still quite early Eh, hopefully ur baby can wait couple more weeks and enjoy the comfort.
same like me le. my EDD change to 1st May instead of 12 now
29 weeks head down is normal, don't worry. but sometimes still alot of space then, so baby can still be spinning around... so it depends on how much amniotic fluid you have. how come so fast deliver at 36 weeks???

OK. After hearing what you ladies are saying... Makes me feel more at ease. Now I have a visual of baby swimming round and round in the tummy :D
Gynae just said that from WK36 onwards, baby should be mature enough, esp with the developments of their lungs... She is not going to induce me, so she will def observe, and take it easy as well.

must PEE??? won't be painful meh? i always wonder how pple pee after the stitching leh... how to tahan the pain? by then no painkiller ler right?

We will still be given couple of medications, tablet kind and stool softener. i tink might be painkiller (panadol), or what also, but 1st time pee damn stress, cant walk well as the effect of epidural wear off, den nurse acc me toilet see me pee n wash for me n teach me how to use the spray! I so worried cannot feel the muscle...but one thing for sure, when walk big step can feel the stitch pulling. Haha. Confirm not pain after going thru the toughest part.

OK. After hearing what you ladies are saying... Makes me feel more at ease. Now I have a visual of baby swimming round and round in the tummy :D
Gynae just said that from WK36 onwards, baby should be mature enough, esp with the developments of their lungs... She is not going to induce me, so she will def observe, and take it easy as well.

Yea if dun need induce wld be better... Now can start to coundown!

Without epidural i think no need urine catheter bah... Cos you don't feel numbness... I'm not too sure also...

I roughly calculated my delivery estimation to be around 15k before medisave claim and doesn't include prenatal expenditure to date:

Mt A hospital fees aka room/ward: $6.5k
Doctor fees aka elective csect: $4k
PD fees: $1.5k
Anesthetist: $1.5k
Misc charges aka buffer: $1.5k

So I might need to pay cash around 11k.. Zahhhh

Hope they don't increase the fees.. Zzz already as is giving birth cost more than my birkin.. -_-""
Ooooh... Ex...

Ooooh... Ex...
Hopefully lesser coz I kiasu add in buffer and all that and I don't know how much is anesthetist fees also..
Then hospital room might be cheaper coz don't even know if can get single room since its Mt A. But ya lar that is my rough calculation lor..

Anyone of you experience your baby like very rough inside your tummy?
I feel like my baby is using nails to scratch my insides and also very hard rolling and punching. Sometimes it's so uncomfortable I have to stand up immediately. Then I don't know whether it's the head or what like so heavy coconut at the bottom.. Zzz I'm 30 weeks now and I'm typing this I just kena kicked until my hand jerked off my tummy! -_-

Anyone of you experience your baby like very rough inside your tummy?
I feel like my baby is using nails to scratch my insides and also very hard rolling and punching. Sometimes it's so uncomfortable I have to stand up immediately. Then I don't know whether it's the head or what like so heavy coconut at the bottom.. Zzz I'm 30 weeks now and I'm typing this I just kena kicked until my hand jerked off my tummy! -_-
LOL! You have an active baby which is good! I don't have the nail-like scratching, but i do feel some tugging which 'altered' the shape of my tummy at times. I'm 32 weeks now. I also do feel some rhythmic light tapping at my bottom left of tummy (read that it is baby hiccuping).

Hopefully lesser coz I kiasu add in buffer and all that and I don't know how much is anesthetist fees also..
Then hospital room might be cheaper coz don't even know if can get single room since its Mt A. But ya lar that is my rough calculation lor..
Heard that Mt. A renovated and have increase in rooms? So may have chance to get single room.

Back